Sugar Free Vegan

by HEAB on February 19, 2010

I finally remembered to celebrate Vegan Thursday yesterday….well, with my breakfast anyway. :)

That my friends was one delicious bowl of teff (thanks again Maggie!), cooked with water and raisins. After cooking, I added in cinnamon, a few drops of vanilla, 1 TBSP coconut butter, and a few toasted almonds. I love how the raisins get all plump when cooked with the cereal. Have you tried teff yet? It’s a wonderful grain, but unfortunately, I can’t buy it in Nashville. So, I’m slowly eating my way through the bag Maggie sent me from New York. I never want it to end.

After breakfast, I had a revelation…I’m giving up stevia for Lent. Yes, for the next 40 days, no stevia. I’m replacing it with Splenda. Ha ha, just kidding. Nope, no Splenda, no Torani syrups, and no stevia. Now, I don’t think there is anything wrong with stevia. It’s definitely my zero calorie sweetener of choice….which is why I’m giving it up. That’s the whole point of Lent right – to give up something you love? For the longest time, I went without sweetening my foods, and I got so used to them that way. I loved a plain bowl of oat bran and drank my herbal tea as is. Then for some reason, I started adding stevia to everything. I couldn’t eat oats anymore without stevia sweetened protein powder, and I won’t even get into my love of homemade cafÄ— au laits with sugar free Torani syrup. Anyway, I’ve been feeling overly sweetened lately and kind of gross. Do you ever get that way? So, no added sweeteners until Easter…no Jay Robb!!!! Don’t worry Jay, we’ll be reunited soon. ;)

Vegan Thursday continued with 1/2 of my lunch…

I stir-fried some veggies in 1/2 TBSP coconut oil and then de-veganized the meal with some cream cheese covered tortillas. Still obsessed with cream cheese.

Often, in the afternoon, I like a big mug of decaf with cream and vanilla stevia drops

But wait, I then remembered my decision to give up stevia only hours before. Ugh, what was I thinking?!? So, instead of stevia, I had something even better…

Take 1/2 a square of Baker’s unsweetened baking chocolate, put it in your mouth, and take a sip of coffee. It melts the chocolate…so good! I used to do this in Italy with my morning cappuccinos. Chocolate makes unsweetened coffee much betta. ;)

What about you? Did you give up anything for Lent?

Ciao my friends!

Chocolate-Covered Katie February 19, 2010 at 9:32 am

I have teff in my pantry… I was going to mak injera til I got lazy once I heard it takes like three days to make. Now I’ll make your cereal instead! I love plumping raisins that way too; I call it the “plump up raisin” trick :) .
Have you looked in the “Bobs Red Mill” bags for teff? If you really can’t find any, shoot me an email and I’ll send some off to my favorite coconut-butter-covered (;)) friend!

Angela February 19, 2010 at 9:32 am

mmm thats a great idea. I guess it would also work with dark chocolate chips?? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 10:00 am

Angela, Yes it would. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie February 19, 2010 at 9:32 am

Hmmm, that last smiley didn’t work. Oh well.

Evan Thomas February 19, 2010 at 9:32 am

Wow! I would have not thought you’d give up stevia, but way to go and all the best! The thought crossed my mind, but honestly I don’t think I could make it. Instead, I gave up any form of prepackaged soy: marinated tofu, soy sausages, veggie burgers, tempeh bacon :-( I guess that’s just reason to buy real bacon now?
Cream cheese would definitely deveganize my day :-)
And I completely agree about unsweetened coffee and pure chocolate, but for me it’s the other way around; the coffee makes the chocolate better

naturalnonsense February 19, 2010 at 9:35 am

I totally agree with your thoughts on giving up Stevia, and I am doing the exact same thing! I have gotten so used to it it’s almost like I forgot what food is supposed to taste like without it. Gotta get my taste buds fixed!

Erika (Dr. TriRunner) February 19, 2010 at 9:35 am

I know what you mean about “overly sweetened”… there are times where I’ll go a solid week and it seems like me sweet tooth won’t turn off. And then suddenly it hits, and you can’t stand the thought of sweets! “Roll tide” :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) February 19, 2010 at 9:37 am

I haven’t given up anything yet but I definitely think it needs to be something I love that I would have to sacrifice. Hmm…

runningaroundnormal February 19, 2010 at 9:51 am

I’ve never heard of Teff.
Good suggestion with the chocolate:)

ilanalala February 19, 2010 at 9:57 am

I used to intern for an NGO that worked with a community in Ethiopia, and while there is very little by way of food there, one common grain is teff – they use it to make injera (teff bread). I just find it so interesting that it’s a basic staple in their diet but here it’s something all the weird people into health food find so exciting. That said, I’ve never tried just teff, only injera. Must check it out.

Coffee melting chocolate=best thing ever. Ever. Literally my three favorite things (coffee, chocolate, melting chocolate).

I used to be a sweetener-in-everything type of girl and then one day I stopped adding sugar to my coffee and tea and oats and ever since I’ve developed the palate for it. I’m not giving up anything for Lent (’cause I’m Jewish, no Lent, haha), but I am trying very consciously to clean up my eating and build better eating habits, and since everyone is giving up certain unhealthy foods for Lent, it’s definitely a reminder to re-evaluate how I’m doing!

Carolyn February 19, 2010 at 9:59 am

nice bracelet…

Abi February 19, 2010 at 9:59 am

Ah Lent.

Yup HEAB’s, I’m giving up 1) artificial sweeteners (stevia and other more nasty ones!), 2) sugar (minus super-dark chocolate with my coffee in the am!), 3)grains 4) Hulu…

It’s gonna be tough, but I’m interested to see how my life changes in the next month or so. It’s always good to take a break from things you’ve become a little to attached to..

Yipee for change and believing that we are capable of it! :)

M February 19, 2010 at 10:00 am

I’m giving up chocolate for Lent so I can’t use that trick haha. So far, so good, though!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama February 19, 2010 at 10:02 am

Good luck on your sugar free decision! I can totally relate on being on the “sweetener crutch”.

kathleen February 19, 2010 at 10:04 am

interesting that you use the teff grain as a cereal. i have only come in contact with it by means of ethiopian flatbread. which is very sour. perhaps it’s the fermentation process they put the teff flour through that makes it’s sour? anyway i am always on the lookout for new gluten free grains. i will have to try it. have you ever tried sorghum? i usually use it as a flour… hm. Anyway, if you are interested, the food distributor i order from has teff. it’s all of $3/lb. i could order it and send it to you if you want.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Kathleen, Yes, it’s the fermenting process that makes the injera taste sour. I LOVE Ethiopian food. Have never tried sorghum, but I always read about it. You are so sweet to offer to send me teff, but can I order it from the site myself? If not, we may have to work out some sort of deal. :)

thedelicateplace February 19, 2010 at 10:13 am

i’m not Catholic but decided to participate this Lent for the first time. I’m not giving anything up, I’m giving of myself in certain ways in order for maximum benefit to everyone :D

Ashlei February 19, 2010 at 10:23 am

I need to get some teff! That bowl looks so good and it’s gluten free. I have teff flour but no the actual grains!
I almost thought you were for real about the Splenda! haha! Phew.
I haven’t given anything up yet. I’m not sure what I could sacrifice..

Jenny R. February 19, 2010 at 10:25 am

How long is lent? Good luck…things will taste super sweet after giving up stevia :) I can’t even tolerate it..that’s how little of a sweet tooth I have. Heather, where did you get those beads from on your wrist? I’ve seen so many ppl with them recently…

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Jenny R, Lent is 40 days and ends on Easter Sunday. CD ordered my Bodhi seed prayer beads mala from Amazon: http://astore.amazon.com/heaeatalmbut-20/detail/B0013G9I9Y. It was my Valentine’s Day gift. :)

claire February 19, 2010 at 10:28 am

Oh,Boy!I’m giving up gum ( I’m a compulsive chewer) and Soda ( middle of the day refresher).Of course,Meat on Fridays:-) cc

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 19, 2010 at 10:39 am

HHHMMM, no stevia…I too love the stuff. That will be hard! I’m sure you can do it though! You are extremely creative and it will be a breeze! I need to try teff…haven’t had that one yet!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 19, 2010 at 11:31 am

Yeah I sometimes get that over saturated yucky feeling too but usually with salt due to my chip and popcorn obsession

jaki February 19, 2010 at 11:32 am

im giving up sugar in general… that includes baking, candies, adding sugar to oatmeal as well. im still deciding if the sugar free hazelnut syrup i get with my americanos at starbucks should b included or not? good luck with yours!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Jaki, Yes, give up the sugar free syrups along with me. We can do it together. I notice they make me crave sweets even more!

Ameena February 19, 2010 at 11:37 am

I used to need sweetener in everything too! But now that I stopped automatically putting it in everything I find that I never really needed it in the first place.

Must say I love the idea of eating a piece of chocolate and drinking tea/coffee. I am going to try that out!

DiningAndDishing February 19, 2010 at 11:38 am

looove the idea of sweetening your coffee with a mouthfull of chocolate :) . I may never turn back!!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Kristy Blake February 19, 2010 at 11:42 am

Oh Heather, how I envy your lack of sweetener. Even when you use it, you use less than I do. I tried the unsweetened Baker’s the other day, and oh my, I have to say it was terrible! I’m glad you like it because it doesn’t have crap in it, but I’m not there yet :)

I have, however, been LOVING the TJ’s whipped cream cheese. I love to put it on those banana almond butter muffins (that I make a batch of every week now!).

sweetener February 19, 2010 at 11:47 am

hi, i gave up all artificial sweeteners (splenda splenda splenda) over a year ago and now stick to stevia, agave, maple, natural sugars, and sometimes regular sugar. do you know the torani syrups are made with splenda? bleh! i feel so much better not having that in my body. it has improved my digestion/stomach issues greatly. i have thought of going stevia free but instead of cutting it out completely i have just started to use less and less often. since it’s not actually bad for me… i try not to eliminate things completely unless they are chemicals etc… rather than restrict or restrain, i like to enjoy everything in healthy moderation! good luck with your sugar free month! i bet you will get even more in touch with what your body is craving!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Sweetener, Yep, I know the Torani is full of Splenda…that’s why it tastes so good and why I must stop using it. :)

theprocessofhealing February 19, 2010 at 11:48 am

The chocolate/coffee idea sounds amaazing!!!!!!
I’ve never heard of teff before.. what is it?
I do feel like sometimes that I use too much sweetener. I just tired of… the sweetness of things. It’s hard for me to completely cut it out but I have cut back and gotten used to less sweet oats and things like that.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 12:12 pm

theprocessofhealing, Teff is a small gluten free grain. You can read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff. It’s packed with fiber and protein, and is used to make Injera (Ethiopian flatbread).

Amy February 19, 2010 at 11:50 am

What kind of wraps do you eat??

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Amy, I love the La Tortilla Factory low carb high fiber wraps. We buy them in bulk at Costco. Not the greatest ingredients, but I love the taste.

LindsayRuns February 19, 2010 at 11:51 am

I’m giving up icecream :) . Good on you for all sweeteners…don’t think I could do it.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 19, 2010 at 11:53 am

OH MY GOSH. That is exactly what I’ve been doing with my coffee in France!!!! They don’t have any coffee-mate here ;) And Stevia!? Nope. Nada. Although my parents did send me some :) We would get along great in the kitchen, H!

I hear you on the sweetener thing. If I have too much “sweet” in a day I feel yucky. And I’ve given it up at times and have really learned to love my unsweetened foods. I think it totally changed my palate when I gave up Splenda.

Bonne chance! :)

Heather February 19, 2010 at 11:57 am

what a great idea! i love coffee and chocolate but i never thought to drink it like that! i’m giving up meat for Lent…definitely something i love…and will be getting some recipes for my new meat-free menu from here ;)

EE February 19, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I gave up sorbet for Lent. That’ll be tough for me! I usually have my Baker’s unsweetened chocolate with water or tea — haven’t gone the coffee route, but there seems to be no reason not to!

Danielle February 19, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I’ve never seen/heard of Teff before! Secretly…my goal is to try every grain grown on this earth :)

Props to you for giving up Stevia for lent. I used to be the same way- just fine with eating unsweetened things. But even the sweetness from stevia makes you crave more sweetness (or SUGAR). I think I’m going to try cutting back

Katie February 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm

OH my word, the chocolate bite/coffee drinking method is the best thing I’ve heard in a long time. I might have to make more coffee today JUST to try it out. :-)

eatmovelove February 19, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Wow – if you feel sugared out then I can only imagine half the world’s population taste-buds…you eat so well!!
I don’t really like the idea of giving up something for Lent as I am not religious and feel that it defeats the purpose of doing it for that…but to do something in general is of course good at all times. …I choose not to focus on “giving something up ” though, but would rather focus on adding something to my life – such as reflecting on what I do have and my attachments and moving forth from there to find what it is I want out of life….haha – sorry no stevia dropper here :)
Love cream cheese!

theemptynutjar February 19, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Yum – I love tortillas…and cereals with raisins and stuff is good.

I would NEVER be able to give up stevia, maple syrup, real sugar, etc…sorry!
I know people say “just don’t add it”…but whatever, I might get hit by a car tommorow, so I don’t wanna try :)
Everybody is different though, so good luck.

But, as a side note, I don’t think Lent is about giving up something you love as in food. Food is just to trivial and stuff. I think its about giving up something that is not making you a “better person”. Like, work on giving up guilt or things like that. For me, I am continuously working on not comparing myself and feeling jealous or angry towards others. In the end that will benefit me for sure.

In the meantime, my life will always have stevia, sweets and sugar…
so the less you eat,,,the more for me and others who love it :)

eaternotarunner February 19, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Good luck on giving up sweetners! Sounds tough to me :-)

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) February 19, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I gave up bread, one of my favorite foods
(Mostly because I had coffee and chocolate for breakfast, my other two options.)

I think giving up stevia is a great idea. I actually am tempted to try giving up all sweeteners just so the natural taste of food can find me! :-)
I’m a huge unsweetened chocolate fan. I love the gheradelli baking bar- I go through one a week at least! My biggest problem is the lack of creaminess, but hot coffee would surely fix this.

HEAB, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for energizing before a workout, without caffeine. I’ve skipped my workouts before in order to take a nap, but it really makes me feel even worse when I wake up. Instead, I find myself at the gas station getting a cup of black coffee at 2:30 to chug so I can wake up.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Mae, Hmm, I usually always do my workouts in the morning, and so I’m pretty energized after my morning cup o’ joe. Afternoon workouts would be tough for me too. Ever tried Yerba Mate tea? I hear it’s good for energy as well as maca powder. I know back when I wasn’t eating much meat, I had really low energy. My doctor put me on Vitamin B-complex drops, and I felt much more energized in the afternoons. So, make sure you’re not lacking in any nutrients. :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 19, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Resident Jew here…didn’t give up anything for Lent ;)

Janet (Pantry Bites) February 19, 2010 at 1:10 pm

How long did it take you before you got used to food without any form of a sweetener? I love my oatmeal made with water, a little bit of cream and a little bit of salt for a creamy nutty taste rather than loaded with sugar. Try it! My friend from Scotland says that’s the traditional Scottish way to eat your oats.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Janet, It didn’t take long – the first few days were the hardest, and it’s true what they say. The cravings really do start to diminish, and I wasn’t really missing my sweets after about 3 or 4 days. I will definitely try the cream and salt in my oats. Sounds yummy. :)

Anna February 19, 2010 at 1:27 pm

That sounds like a great thing to give up– I’ve started to get pretty Stevia-dependent myself. It’s just so easy to add a little to almost everything!!

Marisa (Loser for Life) February 19, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Funny, I JUST saw teff today in the natural foods section of my supermarket and wondered what it was! Darn, now I wish I would have bought it! Next time :)

Chocolate makes everything betta!

I decided to go vegetarian for Lent. I’m giving up all meat, poultry and fish. Keeping eggs and cheese, though. Can’t get too crazy! So far, it’s been good – I know only 2 days – but, it’s amazing to me how much thought I need to put into my eating now. It’s fun, though!

marla {family fresh cooking} February 19, 2010 at 1:57 pm

My stevia addiction is something fierce. Amazing how you start small and then end up adding it to everything. At first I used a few drops here and there and now I am dumping in multiple pipette fulls…Can’t wait to hear how your giving it up goes for Lent.

Erica February 19, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I’ve never tried teff but it looks yummy- kind of like a grainier oat bran? Good luck with giving up the stevia! I’ll be interested to hear how you feel without it (if you miss it, etc). Hope you guys have a fun weekend planned

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Erica, Yeah, kind of like a grainier oat bran. Teff is very fine and VERY good. :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Go you for giving up the sugar AND stevia! I think that’s a challenge worth doing, because it’s not just the sugar itself that takes weaning, it’s the taste for sweets. It’s one of those things I always say I’m gonna try, but…well you know how it goes.

maggie February 19, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Hmmm teff? Never heard of it…actually half of the things I’ve never seen or heard always end up on your blog :) Mrs. Trendsetter :)

xoxo
Maggie

Sara February 19, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I always look forward to your posts…thank you so much for taking the time to encourage others. I know how time consuming it is to blog daily!

I just bought some of the vanilla stevia and tried to put it in my coffee this morning with coconut milk creamer. Hmmm….I could totally taste the stevia “aftertaste”. I used 5 – 6 drops. How much did you use?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Sara, Hehe, I use 12 to 15 drops in 16 ounces of coffee. My sweet tooth is BAD.

Angharad February 19, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I am not so good at giving things up…it just makes me miserable and want them.
But challenging myself to DO things I do like! Now I just have to think of something…

Katie February 19, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I guess my comment was lost in cyber-space.

I’ve been thinking about cutting back on stevia myself, but I really don’t think I could do it. :D I still haven’t started to use it in my coffee, but I have noticed myself using more of it when I do use it.

FYI – I have the same toaster oven. I use it for everything. It’s perfect for roasting small batches of brussels! :)

Graze With Me February 19, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I gave up two things I love:

1) Only ONE afternoon snack. (Instead of 2 or 3.)
2) No more eating PB/AB straight from the jar.

Both have proved extremely challenging for the past 2 days….eek.

Abby February 19, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I havent had teff since we went out for Ethiopian food a few months ago.. now Im craving it!!

Good luck with your “give-up” :)

Megan February 19, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Oye, I have totally felt over sweetened these days. I used to be able to eat everything unsweetened but lately I have been way into the sugar and sugar subs. I have been trying really hard to get the stuff out of my system. It’s tough.

Allie (Protein Girl) February 19, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I think I’ll give up Google Reader for lent. God can pry stevia from my cold dead hands… (I probably shouldn’t joke about that.) Actually, come to think of it. I often feel over sweetened and over processed. Then it’s time to cut back on all the artificial and natural sweeteners and ingredients, up the lemon juice and up the greens/flax meal.

eatmovelove February 19, 2010 at 6:08 pm

HEAB do you take multi vitamins as well?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Eatmovelove, I take pre-natal vitamins – I’ve been on them for years as my doctor said they would be a good mulit-vitamin for me. I also take vitamin D3 drops and vitamin E everyday. Sometimes, I pop a few fish oils as well. :)

Maggie February 19, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I will have to get some teff.

I don’t know what to give up for lent. I know it’s already late, but I need to decide. I might give up sweeteners of some sort as well.

Sarah February 19, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Whipped up random experimental dinner tonight and thought you’d get a kick out of it : )

Oatmeal Gumbo

1/2 c rolled oats + ~8oz frozen okra, 1 c broccoli & 1c pepper strips + sea salt and LOTS of cayenne + 2 cups water

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Sarah, Yep, I like it. :)

fitandfortysomething February 19, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Nothing given up just adding in. I am adding in more yoga it is good for my body and my mind……

psychoj1 February 19, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I’m giving up diet coke!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices February 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Can you use agave? maybe not in coffee though…. I’m giving up white flour and shopping and I’m in for the worst here. I already have a traditional Italian Sunday dinner with my entire family this weekend and I’ll be sure to hear it when I bring my own whole wheat pasta. We’ll see how that goes…good luck to u!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Nicole, Agave is 90% fructose, and I try and stay away from it. Fructose is NOT my friend.

Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce February 19, 2010 at 7:12 pm

cool idea with the coffee! you’re brave to give up stevia, that is a true sacrifice!!

Daniela February 19, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Hey there Heather,
I recently gave up adding salt to my cooking, and eating any sugar or caffeine (and no artificial sweeteners either.) I’ve had ongoing hormonal imbalances and go through intense cravings for all of the above so my doctor felt I should cut them out. It’s been 5 days and it’s sooooo much easier now. The first few days were really hard and my face broke out. Now to be clear I never ate much sugar regularly but if I got around it in a blood-sugar crashing moment I was hopeless. I loved my salt and artificially sweetened gum too. I had two-three caffeinated drinks a day as well. Already I can tell I’m not dealing with the intense cravings for certain foods like I was before. I used to not be able to stop myself if there was sweets around, or from eating tons and tons of hot salty cereal. Amazing. Who knows what this will lead to. :-) Go Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Thanks Daniela, This is encouraging. I’m still chewing sugar free gum…so paranoid about bad breath! Do you find you crave sweets less, even without the gum?

Kenzie (Healthy Purpose) February 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Never had teff! Looks delicious though–will definitely try!

Emilyeatsclean February 19, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I gave up my half and half that I ALWAYS put in my coffee!!! :( So far I’ve decided that soy milk is gag-nasty in coffee, but skim milk and 2% are okay. I frothed some skim milk this morning and that was a pretty good alternative to my half and half.

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

Margie February 19, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Oh the horror of giving up stevia! :) Literally, I don’t think I could do it. I have been feeling a little over sweetened lately, but I decided to cut back on the amount of stevia I have been using.
I’m giving up all meat instead of seafood for Lent.

jennyjuliana February 19, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I am Eastern Orthodox, and we give up meat, dairy and alcohol for Lent. It’s hard at times, but I try to remind myself that most of the world would love to have the good vegan food that I get to eat for 6 weeks! I haven’t given up Stevia, though. ;-)

Pure2raw twins February 19, 2010 at 8:45 pm

You scared us there for a moment when you said Splenda!! haha

Thank you for your sweet comment on our blog!!

fartygirl February 19, 2010 at 8:46 pm

We have teff here. I’ll totally send you some. Maybe we could work out some sort of exchange. I’m a greedy bitch! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Farty, I got the teff covered as someone else offered to send me some. However, when I run out, I’m emailing you! :)

John O February 19, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Givin up CRACK.

april February 19, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I gave up gum! I do fine when I don’t have it for a while but once I have one piece it’s like I can’t get enough!

Melissa February 19, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Where did you get that bracelet? Cute!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 19, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Melissa, CD ordered my bracelet from Amazon. It was a Valentine’s Day gift: http://astore.amazon.com/heaeatalmbut-20/detail/B0013G9I9Y. I love it. :)

Alyson February 19, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Ugh, sweeteners, actually the exact one’s you mention, are my major weakness. I go through silly amounts of Torani & DaVinci SF Syrups.. it can’t possibly be healthy. So impressed that you can go 40 days.. I’m a wuss :p

sophia February 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I can’t even give up splenda. Man, you’re dedicated. But chocolate with coffee? Smart girl, you! :-)

Serena February 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm

This is a great idea. :) I went through a phase where everything I ate was way too sweet. I’m a fruit-addict by nature but man I was piling on all other kinds of sugar. I put agave syrup, honey, etc on eveeryyything. Mannn…
I would feel so gross. I thought my saliva was beginning to turn sweet.
Some days all I want to eat is something sweet. Weird, huh? Well I try to get in my non-sweets and sometimes it makes me feel so…clean. :D

Cherie February 19, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I was freaking out too when I first thought you were going to use splenda!!! I just found out about Yacon. I can’t wait until I can order some on-line to try it on pancakes! Even though I’ve been following the SF,GF, dairy free & ACD for a few years now, I still have to have my Stevia, Truvia & xylitol in some form everyday. I’ve been trying to take a break…thanks for the nudge! Good luck!

simplyshaka February 19, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Diggin the chocolate with coffee idea.

I gave up chicken, pork and red meat.

Daniela February 20, 2010 at 4:03 am

Heather,
I used the gum to help get me off sweets and to help with my stress but (and this sounds silly i know) but it was like a “gateway” sweet for me :) It kept the cravings lurking and I found myself going through packs too quickly. I go to the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art and it is a program that almost demands a stimulant of some kind (9am-9pm most days) so I’ve taken to laying in semi-supine and listening to music and have roobios vanilla teas with soy milk to hit that comforting-yummy-breath-it’s only 3 more hours of rehearsal-spot.
I have to be careful with dried fruit too. Dried figs are my own personal crack. :-)

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) February 20, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Hi Heather, I’m Jenn from J3nn.net (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — Love your blog! :)

I spotted Bob’s Red Mill Teff the other night while I was in the baking aisle of my favorite “natural” store, I almost bought a bag to experiment with gluten-free baking. I’m going to buy some next time I see it.

Jenn

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 20, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Hey Jenn, Thanks for reading my blog. :)

Yes! Buy some teff next time you see it. It’s good stuff!

healthy ashley February 20, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I don’t give anything up for Lent… but sugar would be it if I did!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 20, 2010 at 4:04 pm

OMG yes, Katie is right- Injara is the bomb, but I’m with her- if it takes 3 days to make it, no thanks!

Your cereal did look lovely- wonder if it was filling. Guess so or you might have mentioned so! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 20, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Deb, One serving of teff is SMALL, but with the raisins, almonds, and coconut butter, it did leave me satisfied. I was pretty busy all morning, and I don’t remember feeling hungry until around lunch. Therefore, teff is a winner in my book. :)

Susan February 21, 2010 at 8:10 am

I do the same thing with my coffee!!! I often drink it with just a splash of almond milk, then I take a bite of chocolate, and let the hot coffee melt it in my mouth. Omg. So good.

Holly February 22, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Gave up my passion—shopping! :) It’s good for me as it’s become something of an obsession which isn’t good. I’ve also taken this time to go yeast-free- although that’s less for lent and more for health reasons- just 2 weeks there! :) Stay strong on the unsweetened lent–it makes Easter that much sweeter (yes, corny pun intended)
Cheers!