Pain & Pancakes

by HEAB on February 21, 2010

Ouch. I slept in a weird position 2 nights ago, and my back is so sore today. It hurts to turn my head…gosh, it even hurts to inhale. Too bad I can’t give myself a massage as I know exactly what I need – an elbow shoved up under my right shoulder blade. Might have to coach CD through it. :)

On the schedule for this morning was a long walk with the dogs, but I couldn’t handle the leash tugging today. I love walking my pups, but they tend to get super excited whenever we encounter another dog, and don’t even get me started on the squirrels. Instead, Chris took the dogs with him on a run (thank you CD!), and I stayed home and made pancakes.

I meant to make them vegan, but I plopped an egg into the blender before even thinking about it. So, for all my vegan friends out there, simply replace the egg with 2 TBSP flax seed meal thickened in 1/4 cup water and skip the egg whites.

Check out the melted coconut butter goodness…

Avocado Pancakes

Ingredients:

1/2 chopped avocado

1/4 cup blanched almond flour

1 egg

1/8 cup seltzer water, plain water, or nut milk. (seltzer water adds fluff)

1/8 tsp baking powder

pinch of salt

cinnamon

2 egg whites*

Directions: Blend avocado, flour, egg, liquid, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until you achieve a thick pancake batter consistency. Whip egg whites until stiff white peaks form and fold into batter. Fry pancakes on griddle or in a greased skillet over low to medium heat. Top with coconut butter and more cinnamon. Delicious and no stevia required. :)

*If omitting egg whites, you may need to add a bit more liquid.

Last night, I reintroduced a very old friend back into my life…

Plain baked sweet potatoes. Mmm, I always forget how good they are. Back when I was losing weight, I ate 2 every night with dinner. Lately, I’ve been making avocado ice-cream in the evenings, but I’ve decided it’s not that great without stevia. So, welcome back sweet taters. I’ve missed ya!

EE February 21, 2010 at 9:55 am

A plain baked sweet potato is truly one of life’s little pleasures for me.

I’m sorry you’re in pain, but it’s a good thing you are a master of anatomy so you can teach CD how to help!

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) February 21, 2010 at 10:53 am

Ready for another concoction?? I used to mix blended sweet potato, cocoa powder, eggs and ground almonds (almond flour would be awesome!) and bake it. It comes out like really really rich brownies.
Sometimes I added honey, but most times not. I’ll try it again so I can give you a more precise recipe, but it’s so good!!

Can you tell I’m a chocoholic??
And I love how chocoholic isn’t corrected by spell check!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 11:00 am

Mae, Yes, please share exact recipe with me…you know I love my chocolate squash turds! ;)

fartygirl February 21, 2010 at 11:01 am

You can still get your avocado fix at night too… plop some on top of those sweet pots!!! It’s such a good combination.

fartygirl February 21, 2010 at 11:01 am

Hope you feel better!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 11:06 am

Thanks Fartygirl. :)

Carolyn February 21, 2010 at 11:17 am

I’ll take that one in the middle of the plate Heather!!!!

And Mae PLEASE publish your sweet potato as a brownie recipe!!! Sounds wonderful…

theprocessofhealing February 21, 2010 at 11:19 am

Yumm.. sweet potatoes are probably my favorite food, ever. Nature’s own candy :D

Sweet Cheeks February 21, 2010 at 11:49 am

Yes, sweet potatoes ROCK. period. I am definitely having one tonight!

Leena February 21, 2010 at 12:04 pm

i love sweet potatoes so much… i could eat them everyday of my life and never get tired of them! i usually eat them plain, except for the extreme amount of cinnamon i put on them! i also like to put coconut or almond butter on them too.
and your avocado pancakes sound really good! i’ll have to try them!

Abby February 21, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Glad to see your sweet potatoes are back.. I eat at least 4-5 a week.. I picked up a massive sack of them from the farmers market this week.. it’s funny how a root veggie can excite me so much. lol

Happy Sunday!!

Evan Thomas February 21, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I couldn’t imagine a week without sweet potatoes. Mine grew mold, so I get to stock up a ton today! And hopefully I’ll find somewhere a little cooler for them

Kara February 21, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Hmmm… sweet potatoes. I always forget how amazing they are until I have one, then I wonder why I don’t eat them every day. If I have a baked sweet potato with dinner I usually don’t need any dessert, they seem to satisfy my sweet cravings!

janetha February 21, 2010 at 12:30 pm

what i love most about this post is that you ate two sweet potatoes every night when losing weight. most people swear off carbs when trying to lose. you are the best ever.

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness February 21, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Avocado just seems to be one of those foods that’s great in everything :) Can’t wait to try these.. if only I could get an avocado that wasn’t 3/4 bad :/

theemptynutjar February 21, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Gosh girl. You are a trooper. I just cannot do without sweet or sugary taste :)
Sweet potatoes are so yum. Love them. The white and red potatoes are actually really nice to to switch things up.
I don’t have a blender, so if I do pancakes its old-fashioned mixing in a bowl….or waffles (like the ones Jenna has on her blog today!).
I will go for one short walk today too. Nice to “know” another walker who is happy in life.
Maybe you can get CD to walk on your back…that would even it all out, no?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Emptynut, yes, I need to get CD to walk on my back or at least rub it. :)

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl February 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I love sweet potatoes – especially with coconut oil, cinnamon and cloves. YUM! ;-)

And I ♥ stevia. It’s my favorite go-to sweetener.

Good for you for making it without it!!

And about your last comment on my blog… sorry you missed my coconut peanut butter giveaway (Averie is giving some away though!) and I’m now giving away a $30 gift certificate for Glass Dharma glass straws and accessories, if you’re interested in that. :-)

Hugs,
Michele

Ameena February 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Sweet potatoes are the best. I recently found out how much I love them roasted. Can’t believe I’ve been missing out all these years!

I hope your neck feels better soon. I hate it when I sleep wrong!!

homecookedem February 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Ok, I’m a bad foodie for not knowing this, but how long and what temp do you bake SP’s at? I usually microwave them, but I want to bake them like your’s. They look perfect! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Homecookedem, Oh my gosh, you must roast your potato, and you will never eat another microwaved one again! I roast mine in a 425 degree oven on a piece of foil for one hour, flipping once after 30 minutes. I just wash them, but don’t pierce them or anything.Just plop down on the foil and bake.

Melissa S. February 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I keep telling myself I’m going to make pancakes every weekend…and you remind me every time that I’ve forgotten. Agg! Next weekend…well, I’ll be out of town in Tampa. This week then!

And thank you so much for you comment today. I think we can read each others minds. ;)

Anna February 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I love how mini the pancakes are…so cute!

Ugh– I slept wrong on Friday night, and have been battling a crick in my neck ever since!

plamarie February 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm

The center pancake has the most coconut butter :) I would have saved that one for last!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Plamarie, I totally did. :)

Pure2Raw twins February 21, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Love the coconut butter action! I would never have thought putting avocado in a pancake batter… sounds too good to be true :) Will have to try that out soon!!! xoxo

Mara @ What's for Dinner? February 21, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Definitely trying out avocado in my next batch of pancakes…they were 10/$10 at the grocery store yesterday!

eaternotarunner February 21, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Sorry your back hurts, hope if feels better soon :-/

I love love love baked sweet potatoes…yum!

Kristy@chewchewtrain.wordpress February 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I’ve never had coconut butter, so every time you use it, I think of cocoa butter…which then leads me to think of super tan people (definitely not me!) and that smell at the beach …haha. I’ll have to get my hands on some some time so I can get rid of the mental image!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Kristy, Our Whole Foods carries the Artisana coconut butter in the aisle with all the olive oils. I was always looking in the nut butter aisle and was beyond excited to finally find it. Who knows how long I’m simply been looking in the wrong place!

eatmovelove February 21, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Hmmm…Heather Eats Coconut Butter …HECB doesn’t work so well though…;)

How many servings does that recipe make for ? Does CD eat them as well? Or do you make a batch and freeze?…

Love sweet potatoes.. I had a really rough time last night and am feeling like “body-crap” and trying not to let it ruin the rest of my day or week….oye

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Eatmovelove, Today is a new day…always remember that.

Today’s pancake recipe yielded 10 small pancakes, and I ate them all. CD usually just has a bite, but since he wasn’t home this morning, they all went in my belly. I never freeze my pancakes and always eat the entire batch. However, I do believe I shared 2 of my artichoke pancakes with the pups last week as the recipe made so many, and I felt guilty eating them all. ;)

Shelly February 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Yum! My lunches this week are sweet potato centered! I’m going to eat them with veggie chili- it gives a nice sweet and spicy effect! :)

Katie February 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I love roasted sweet potatoes. I slice them and wrap in tin foil, bake for about 30 min at 325, and then open up the foil and broil them for 10 min. They get all caramelized and even sweeter than normal.

Avocado pancakes are genius.

Katie February 21, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Oh, and hopefully a rest day will be the cure!

Ashley February 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm

hope your back starts to feel better soon! Yum those pancakes look delicious. I’ve been wanting to buy coconut butter from hearing all the wonderful things about it, but a jar is $14 at WF and i’m not sure if I want to spend that much. Do you think itt’s worth the high price tag?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Ashley, YES.

Deirdre February 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Just had some sweet potato fries. Oh sweet potatoes are the best! I still need to try coconut butter.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Deirdre, Oh my gosh, try the coconut butter on sweet potato fries. It’s heavenly!

musingsofthegranolagirl February 21, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Those pancakes look amazing! I’m also obsessed with sweet potatoes, especially in the form of homemade fries!!

I’ve never tried coconut butter before- is it a thick consistency like nut butters or thinner??? (It looks thinner on those pancakes but that could be from yummy melt-age??)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Musingsofthegranolagirl,

At room temperature the coconut butter stays solid, and is thick and pasty – more like nut butter. However, like coconut oil, it turns to liquid when warm. While I make my pancakes, I place the jar near the stove-top. It gets warm & melts. Perfect for drizzling!

eatmovelove February 21, 2010 at 3:47 pm

HEAB – how long does a jar of that butter typically last you….? If it’s anything like my empty jars of nut butters….yikes!!! and they are expensive as is…

But I agree that you should buy and eat what you want :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Eatmovelove, Well, I was hoarding my jar for the longest time, but then I discovered my Whole Foods now carries it. So, I’m quickly working my way through it.However, keep in mind that I have about 5 different jars of nut butter on hand right now. Otherwise, I could easily finish off the coconut butter in a week. Easy!

Maria (realfitmama) February 21, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Those pancakes sound amazing and I’m dying to try coconut butter!! I’ve seen it at Whole Foods, but it’s a little pricey. I may have to tighten the belt some place else and get some because it would be awesome on my pumpkin pancakes!!
Hope the back feels better. I hurt mine about 2 weeks ago carrying my 2 year old and slipped on the ice. We didn’t actually fall, but all the twisting whilst trying NOT to fall jacked up the back for a good 3 or 4 days.
Best of luck and thanks for the ZUMBA class input. I’m signing up tomorrow!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Maria, Enjoy zumba and BUY THE COCONUT BUTTER. Pricey, but worth every penny. :)

rachel February 21, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Hey Heather,
I have been reading your blog for about 6 months and I wanted to say Yay for your sugar-free adventure! I stopped eating flour and sugar about 2 months ago and your posts/meals have given me lots of ideas and definitely helped keep me from throwing in the towel and eating a loaf of bread with sugar.
I just wanted to ask you what almond flour is like? I have been avoiding flour of pretty much all kinds- but I saw it recently in my co-op. I would love to try it as long as it doesn’t make me go into a carb-needing frenzy!

Thanks! Rachel

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Rachel, Oh my gosh, I love almond flour. Unlike other gluten free flours, it’s great all on its own. You don’t have to doctor up the recipes with xanthan or guar gum or anything. I love all of Elana’s recipes ( http://www.elanaspantry.com/recipes/), and she recommends using blanched almond flour. According to her, most of the stuff you can buy at the health food stores is not ground fine enough, including Bob’s Red Mill. I use the Honeyville blanched almond flour. It’s great, but I have to order it online (http://astore.amazon.com/heaeatalmbut-20/detail/B0006ZN538).

I’m a big fan of coconut flour as well, and I just buy the Bob’s Red Mill brand from my local Whole Foods.

adrienmelaine February 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm

avocado in your pancakes?! you are WILD! I love it!

Ana February 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Ohh, those pancakes sound really good Heather! I will try making them this week, I love the use of almond flour and have lots of avocado in the fridge right now!
By the way, I posted about the almond butter pumpkin muffins today, have you tried making them with Kabocha?? I made the banana muffins using PB and we liked them too, but we all agreed here at home that the Almond Butter Banana Muffins were the best!
Hey, if May shares her sweet potato-cocoa concoction (oh man, I can imagine how good this might be!) would you share with us? I hope she shares, really!!
Hope you had a great weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Ana, I will gladly share Mae’s recipe with all of you. In fact, I’ll email her right now to let me know if she ever posts it. :)

Nope, have never made kabocha muffins, just kabocha pancakes: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/kabocha-squash-pancakes/. Gosh, those were yummy. Need to them again!

RunToTheFinish February 21, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I love plain sweet potatoes better than any other way! I just made some of the avocado ice cream, but added a banana for sweetness since I don’t use stevia

Holly February 21, 2010 at 5:55 pm

ahhhh sweet potateos…nature’s candy, no?

and obviously the pancakes needed an egg. it was only natural for you to add one.

i hope your back feels better. there is NOTHING worse than sleeping on your back wrong and feeling the pain of it for days to follow. get CD on that massage and stat!

Katie February 21, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Thanks for the vegan recipe, Heather! You are so considerate of us veg-heads. :)

Susan February 21, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Aahh I freakin love sweet potatoes! Coincidently, I love them 100x more with almond butter!

I hope you feel better. Back pain has to be one of the worst types of discomfort to deal with.

Ashlei February 21, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I had sweet potatoes last night too! So good with almond butter!!

Shannon February 21, 2010 at 6:34 pm

oh no! i have also been dealing with some back pain this weekend :( no idea where it came from/what i did, but i’m thinking i pulled/strained a muscle… avocado pancakes, now that’s an idea i’m going to have to try!

Carbzilla February 21, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Sorry you have a crick in your neck! That’s the worst! If CD can’t fix it, do you have a fellow masseuse who can work on it? I always think masseusessssss probably need the work the most! Hope you get loose soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Thanks Carbzilla, Yes, I have several therapists friends that I can call. CD worked on it earlier today, and I’m feeling better!

Orme February 21, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Awwwh, glad to hear the ol’ buddy Sweet Po is back….such a classic, simple and delicious food! Let’s figure out Rose Pepper soon :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Orme, Yes, I need some Rose Pepper in my life soon!

Nora@LiveLifeEatRight February 21, 2010 at 7:53 pm

YUM!!! Happy pancakes Sunday!! These look delicious! I can’t wait to find a grocery store that sells coconut butter…i feel so deprived.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Nora, My Whole Foods sells it. For the longest time, I thought they didn’t as I always looked for it in the nut butter section, but it’s stocked over by the olive oils. Hope you find some soon. It’s so good!

eatmovelove February 21, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Thank you for answering questions – truly appreciated from all your readers I believe ;)
I was wondering about your beloved Kobucha – never see it around lately !!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 21, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Eatmovelove, Yeah, the last few kabochas I bought were not ripe. Super disappointed and waiting until my local Asian market steps it up and starts stocking good ones.

caronae February 21, 2010 at 9:15 pm

An elbow shoved up under my shoulder blades sounds pretty nice right about now. Actually, some serious pressure on every part of my sore body sounds nice right now. Sorry you’re not feeling so hot either. I really need to get on this pancake Sunday business ASAP…
Happy Monday (almost)!

Cherie February 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm

That’s interesting that you ate 2 sweet potatoes when you were losing weight. Seems backwards these days, but probably shows how wrong we are about food.

Sorry about your neck. Come sit in my massage chair anytime.

Jessie @ thehappinessinhealth February 22, 2010 at 6:40 am

I never would have thought of putting avocado into pancakes, but what a yum idea :)

Sweet potatoes will always have a place on my plate!

pippapatchwork February 22, 2010 at 9:08 am

Sweet potatoes really are the best. Baked, as fries, in gnocchi, on pizza…I could go on and on.

n.D. February 22, 2010 at 10:26 am

I really want to try the coconut butter. Looks great!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heathee February 22, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Oh how I love sweet potatoes! They’re like a dessert to me. I could eat them everyday.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 22, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Sweet taters are a great idea for your sweet fix! I wouldn’t have thought of that, but then again, I’m not HEAB. I think I wouldn’t mind sweet potatoes for dessert myself, come to think of it. :)

Grace February 22, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Heather, you have the best pancake ideas! This one is 2 thumbs up.. had it this morning! Instead of almond flour i used almond meal (i guess… the pulp leftover from making my own almond milk). That worked pretty well.. still fluffy.

I’m guessing the Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate is the same/similar to the Artisana Coconut Butter? I have the former and not the latter so i may try some but it’s a bit high maintenance since it always needs to be reincorporated since it’s freezing in my house.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Grace, Just googled the Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream, and yes, it sounds like Artisana’s coconut butter. What I do is place the jar next to the stove-top while heating my griddle and then while cooking my pancakes. It gets warm and liquefies just in time to drizzle on top of my pancakes. :)

kristin February 22, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I hope your back feels better soon! Wow, those avocado pancakes look awesome! I have got to try them!

Barbara February 22, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Hey Heather~

I posted a link to your avocado Pancakes on my Facebook yesterday. They looked heavenly but people just don’t have open minds when it comes to food. Grrr

I love you blog and all you amazing recipes. As soon as i get my vitamix..it’s so on!

Cheers

Barbara

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Thanks for the support Barbara, and to all the avocado pancake haters…they don’t know what they’re missing! :)

blissfulbellas February 23, 2010 at 12:02 pm

mMmmM i think its impossible for me to read ur blog without getting an instant craving for pancakes…im pretty sure ive been craving vegan pancakes for a month now…i need to get my lazy butt out of the oatmeal/cereal phase and into some warm scrumptious pancake morning mode!!
-Lena

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 24, 2010 at 12:13 am

OMG had no idea about your back pain. I have a totally un-certified Korean masseuse who will climb on top of you, straddle you and get those elbows in just the right spots. And he won’t take a health history or ask about any injuries because he can’t speak a word of English. Let me know if you want his number :-)

kristilyn February 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I only ever see the white-flesh sweet potatoes and I don’t think they’re the same. Maybe it’s just in my head, but I don’t find them nearly as sweet as the orange-flesh sweet potatoes?

I did buy some yams today … they rock, too!

K

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 25, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Kristyilyn, Yep, agreed. I don’t think the white ones taste as sweet either.

{ 3 trackbacks }