Green Smoothie Day

by HEAB on February 22, 2010

I ate out a lot this past weekend, Thai and Italian food on Friday and a fun brunch with Jessica at Fido’s yesterday. While at Fido’s, I ran into 2 friends I hadn’t seen in a while (Hey David and Jerry!). They told me they read HEAB, and Jerry was even inspired to try yoga. Jerry, hearing that totally made my morning. Good to see you guys, and Jessica, we need to hang out more often, seriously.

Anyway, I wanted to keep this morning’s breakfast simple…and green. I’m feeling bloated, maybe from all the sodium consumed? Do you ever have those days when you just want to clean out your system and fill it with lots of veggies? I do, and so this morning I made a big smoothie.

Into the Vita-Mix went 1 serving of coconut water, 2 baby cucumbers, 1 whole avocado, 2 handfuls of spinach, and 5-6 ice cubes.

A few seconds later, I had this…x 2. :) I topped both glasses with unsweetened shredded coconut.

The coconut water is naturally sweet, and help balanced out the green taste. I thought this was delicious, but the majority of people out there (read non Green Monster drinking bloggers/food blog readers) might find my smoothie quite disgusting. Well, they’re missing out for sure! The cucumbers tasted so refreshing, and I LOVE avocados so very much. Plus, this was super filling. I feel better already.

Back is still jacked. CD worked on it yesterday, and I felt much better…until I woke up this morning. It stinks because when my body hurts, that means I can’t work. So, I cancelled my afternoon clients and made an appointment for a massage of my own with my go-to therapist, Juliana. It’s going to be painful, but I guarantee Juliana will fix me. She’s a miracle worker.

Hope you all have a wonderful veggie-filled day!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 22, 2010 at 9:40 am

that’s such a pretty color green! i love avocados in smoothies…it adds such a great creamy consistency in a healthful way :)

Jessica @ How Sweet February 22, 2010 at 9:42 am

I’d love to try a green monster with coconut water because I don’t like it on it’s own. I know it sounds weird, but it tastes very ‘wet’ to me.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 9:46 am

Jessica, Not weird. If it makes you feel any better, one of my friends thinks Coconut water tastes like feet.

Shelly February 22, 2010 at 10:12 am

I don’t really like coconut water- I think it tastes like non-alcoholic sake, if that makes sense. I find that adding a little lime juice to it improves it immensely though.
I know exactly how you feel- I had Vietnamese food Friday night, which was delicious, but I was insanely bloated from the salt on Saturday and ended up having a giant Green Monster on Sunday.
It helps that I’ve decided that for Lent, I’m going to eat at least 5 servings of veggies a day- I got 3 servings in one green monster!

Sammi February 22, 2010 at 10:23 am

I hear you on the bloat thing. Unfortunately vegetables bloat me even more..I wish I could just eat veggies to help but they just do more harm. I have to eat them with something or else they don’t go down well. I also wish I could palate a veggie smoothie.. ughhh I have tried spinach in them and it wasnt AWFUL but the thought makes me gag! They are quite pretty though :)

Christie @ Honoring Health February 22, 2010 at 10:37 am

Since I kicked the sugar and fruit habit, I have been wanting to try an all green smoothie but haven’t been brave enough. I heard they are pretty tasty with almonds or cashews thrown in for creaminess. I will brave up one day and give it a try :D

Lara (Thinspired) February 22, 2010 at 10:40 am

I definitely have those days where I want to “go green”! I would have never thought to add cucumber to a smoothie. I know it juices great, but I’d be scared it would make the smoothie too watery? I guess with the addition of the avocado, it would be ok. Looks creamy enough to me!
I hope your back is better soon :(
Have a great week, Heabie!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Lara, I’m currently working my way through green smoothie #2 of the day made with cucumber and a frozen avocado. Definitely NOT watery. Delicious with cinnamon and maca. :)

EE February 22, 2010 at 11:23 am

I wish I liked to drink smoothies. I’m much more into using utensils and eating solids… maybe that’s a bit odd. But your smoothie is very vibrant! Feel better soon.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 22, 2010 at 11:29 am

I’m fully planning on avocado green smoothies soon…

theprocessofhealing February 22, 2010 at 11:36 am

I’m not too big of a fan of coconut water alone but I bet it would be awesome in green monsters, which I love. Though I’ve never had one with avocado… I bet it makes it super creamy!!!
I always feel the need to fill myself with veggies and fruits after eating out a lot… makes you feel yucky!

Jaya February 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Heather, this looks awesome! It’s so hard to believe that only one month ago I was in India drinking coconut water right out of the coconut! When I was there about 8 years ago, I was training very intensively with a field hockey team and I used to grab a baby coconut every morning on the way home from my first training session and despite my fatigue, I felt positively invincible after just a few sips. Mmm.
I never thought of putting it in smoothies…but why they heck not!
Green smoothies are so epically delicious. This is also something I would consider using as a face mask! I bet yours would be great!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Jaya, Haha – yes, the cucumbers would work great any under-the-eye swelling. :)

Chrysta February 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Sounds fantastic! Ive been meaning to try coconut water for awhile. Just one of those things that I keep wanting to try. I really hope you feel better soon to hon! Take care!

Kelly February 22, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I love coconut water…it is so refreshing! I can totally see how adding it into your Green Monster would be awesome! Happy Monday! :)

musingsofthegranolagirl February 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm

That green monster look so good!

I love coconut water! They sell it at the Bikram Yoga studio near me and it’s so refreshing.
Which brand is your favorite?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Musings, I usually drink Vita-Coco b/c it’s slightly cheaper than other brands. I love busting open my own baby Thai coconuts, but the only place I buy them is from our local Asian Market and I haven’t been in a while. Need to pick some up next time I’m there.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heathee February 22, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Eventhough I think your green monster sounds amazing and refreshing I’d be nervous to drink it! I love greens in my smoothies but usually sweeten it up with some fruit.

I ate out a ton a couple weekends ago and felt bloated too. Veggies and fruit helped me feel back to normal.

thedelicateplace February 22, 2010 at 1:17 pm

this looks delish i may have to try this! i have been ob-sessed with coconut milk lately. i’m scooping the cream off the top and loving every taste!

Samantha February 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm

What a glorious looking smoothie! I’m in HI for the week visiting the husband and am leaving the room shortly to go to target for a small blender, and Whole Foods for lots of spinach, some Jay Robb love, and Lord knows what else. Must get my fix!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Sam, hope you’re having a blast with your husband…and Jay. ;)

Katie February 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I have those days every day! Most people think that amount of veggies I consume is weird, but I can’t get enough. But, the only veggie I don’t like is cucumber. Or is it a fruit? Whatever, without it, I would have wrestled you for your smoothie!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Katie, I googled it. Mixed reviews on whether cucumber is a fruit or veggie, but fruit seems to be the more popular choice.

Ana February 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Being from Brazil all I can say is that I just LOVE coconut water!!
Your smoothie looks amazing and so delicious, I can only imagine how creamy it was with the yummy avocado in there! Love it! Had 1/2 of one today with my salad for lunch and it was so creamy, avocado is a natural delight!

Nicole February 22, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Hey there!
I hope your back gets better with your massage. Being in pain (and not being able to work because of it) stinks. Heal Heather HEAL!!!

I think your smoothie looks awesome.

Also I thought of you today. I went out to lunch with a friend from work–we had originally planned on going to Panera but when we got there I saw that there was a California Pizza Kitchen right next to it. I’d been DYING to try your grilled veggie salad, so that’s where we went. I got the 1/2 (which wasn’t enough) and it was SO GOOD!!

Kristina February 22, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I love adding avocados to my green monster. I’ll need to try coconut water in one soon!

lorne February 22, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I am greensmoothie freak! I LOVE THEM… usually it is banana, spinach, water and juiced apple and orange.

Serena February 22, 2010 at 4:24 pm

That actually looks amazing. I need to try it. :)

David February 22, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Longtime lurker breaks silence after being name-checked in blog. Ha. Keep up the inspiring work, Heather.

Sarah Ikegami February 22, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Heather,
Frozen avo? I haven’t thought of that, great idea! Also, I think I am the ONLY blogger out there who has NOT tried a Green Monster…I use hemp protein powder but must try the famous GM one of these mornings!
By the way, what do you do for a living?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Sarah, Oh my gosh, if you can handle hemp protein, a green monster will taste like heaven. :)

I’m a massage therapist.

Sarah Ikegami February 22, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Ooohh…OK, I will pick some up when I’m out of my hemp, thanks!
What a great job, how rewarding for you AND others!
Have a fantastic night!

homecookedem February 22, 2010 at 5:31 pm

My body craves simple and healthy after a weekend of splurges too! Your GM looks like the perfect way to start out the week! ;)

Ameena February 22, 2010 at 5:44 pm

There are so many days when I just need a total detox…usually Mondays are those days! Great way to kick off the week!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl February 22, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I think your smoothie is beautiful, Heather – and I know it tasted fantabulous, too! You’re right… folks don’t know what they’re missing!

I had a smoothie today, too: hemp powder, banana, blackstrap molasses, water, flax, spinach, coconut oil. It was DELISH! ;-)

Lindsay February 22, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Look at how creative you are! Love it. Must try that Green Monster. I think you should change your blog name ot HEAAB. Heather Eats Avocado & Almond Butter. hehe!

fartygirl February 22, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Hey lady! Funny you should mention this. I tried avos in my lunch smoothie for the first time ever today. I liked it much better than tofu. It went down smoothie-r. Thanks!!! <3

Katie February 22, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I don’t know why I haven’t thought to put avocado in my green smoothies!! What a perfect addition!

I always feel the need for greens after a vacation or a particularly indulgent weekend – like the one I just had. Your GM might be breakfast for me tomorrow. :-)

Anna February 22, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Hmmm…not sure if I’m there yet for this GM combo! I still need the banana to sweeten things up :-)

I gave you a “fat lover” shout-out on my blog yesterday– thanks for opening me up to the wonderful world of fat :-)

thedelishdish February 22, 2010 at 6:28 pm

i felt the same exact way this morning after a french dinner out last night. just needed to get some green in and start the week off right! gotta love those green monsters!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 22, 2010 at 6:42 pm

The cleaner your diet is in general, the worse you feel when you eat less than great food/ingredients, i.e. eating out. The bigger they are the harder they fall analogy with feeling like crap. My hubs used to eat out 5 biz lunches and 3 dinners per week. And was overweight but felt fine. 10 years and 50 lbs lighter, he rarely eats out, eats my high raw vegan or veggie cooking for him, and when he does go out,feels like crap. I am the same.

Sorry bout your back Heather and I hope Juliana can fix it! I need a Juliana (or you!) as my therapist!!!

eatmovelove February 22, 2010 at 6:50 pm

What did you do to your back?! Hope Juliana (p.s that’s a nice name ;) ) helps you out. Back pain sucks! That’s a lot of courage to down that green monstor HEAB!! Haha….also not to be antagonizing (seriously!) – I can’t imagine you eating anything “bad” when you go out – ;) ….what do you order at Italian?!! (and yes I KNOW your posts are only glimpses into your habits…but still ! you seem to be very dedicated to your Lent thing and all)…

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Eatmovelove, We went here (http://www.caffenonna.com/Caffe_Nonna/Caffe_Nonna_Home.html) for dinner on Friday night, and I ordered the white bean soup and the full sized portabella salad. So yummy. I slept on my back wrong Friday night, and it’s been sore ever since. :(

eaternotarunner February 22, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I know what you mean, I could use a veggie detox right about now :-)

eaternotarunner February 22, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I know what you mean, I could use a veggie detox right about now :-)

swimsutra February 22, 2010 at 8:24 pm

That yummy green smoothie almost makes me want to give coconut water another try. I had it once after a totally dehydrating slightly awful Bikram class, and the taste sort of grossed me out. Second thought… maybe it was the ridiculous hot yoga room. I love coconut everything else… :)

Kristy@chewchewtrain.wordpress February 22, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I too was at Fido for brunch yesterday ~10:30. We sat outside, and I had a yummy veggie burger!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Krsity, Ugh! I missed ya. I was not there until about 1 PM. I had the Mediterranean Salad topped with a veggie burger patty. I always get that – love it!

Melissa S. February 22, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I def feel a bit sodium overwhelmed after eating out too much and then want to fill myself with veggies. nom nom!

yogiclarebear February 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm
Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Clare, Love that Elana. Such a brilliant woman! :)

simplyshaka February 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I would have never thought to put coconut water into a smoothie so thanks for the tip! I bought a single servicing last wknd but have been reluctant to try it but love green monsters so that may have to be my first experiemtn with it!

janetha February 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm

i fell in love with coconut water in jamaica.. straight from the coconut. what brand do you use? i would love to buy some and try it in a smoothie! sorry about your back. whack. xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 23, 2010 at 6:23 am

Janetha, I either buy my own Thai baby coconuts or use the Vita Coco brand: http://www.vitacoco.com/

janetha February 22, 2010 at 10:47 pm

nevermind, i see you linked it!

Mama Pea February 22, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I think I’d just want to dump a crap load of stevia in that GM. Good thing I have a crap load of stevia :)

What in the heck is going on with your back? You know I am worried worried worried!!! I am praying so much that it improves ASAP!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 23, 2010 at 6:24 am

Thanks Mama Pea, just slept on it wrong a few nights ago. It’s feeling better! :)

Emily February 23, 2010 at 2:43 am

I think that smoothie looks delicious. I’m lovin’ coconut lately.

Hey, I loved your BSC comment the other day. SO funny. I remember that book with Dawn and the tunnel. I think it was Jamie Newton or David Michael hiding in the tunnel… not a ghost. :) And Dawn found an old coin in there.

K, I’m done.

Light Delight with Tou Tou February 23, 2010 at 6:49 am

coconut water and coconut flakes just make this green juice more pleasant!! I love that idea!

kettlebelllove February 23, 2010 at 7:06 am

That smoothie sounds delish. I love juicing cucumbers, especially in the summer, and any smoothie based in coconut water gets a thumbs up from me. I regularly clear the young coconuts from the shelves at Whole Foods. I love the water, but I also love to add the young coconut meat to my smoothies, so when I can I buy the whole thing.

I’ve been detoxing/fasting yesterday and probably again today because I ate way too much crap over the weekend. I feel 100% better this morning after just a cup of coffee and some kombucha and tons of water yesterday, but will most likely keep the fast going at least until lunch. Depends on how I feel.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 23, 2010 at 8:15 am

Kettlebelllove, Yes, I got a coconut kick last summer. I buy them at my local Asian market. I really should pick some up soon. The fresh water blended with the meat makes an amazing breakfast!

Denise February 23, 2010 at 8:49 am

Thanks for sharing, Heather. Addin coconut sounds delicious.

Here’s the ONE thing I do, food-wise, that’s good for me and man, oh, man, does it taste good and make me feel great. Now I just need to transition the rest of my day to healthy eating.

I want a Vita Mix like you but have a Champion Juicer. So, I juice:

1 head romaine lettuce
3-4 stalks of kale
1 inch or so of ginger, unpeeled
2 Fuji apples
1 lemon, unpeeled

The lemon and apples cut the green taste which at first was really helpful but now I’ll add even more kale and I still love it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 23, 2010 at 11:11 am

Denise, Yes, that was my favorite juice combo back in my juicing days – it’s Natalia Rose’s Green Lemonade. Is that where you got the recipe? I have her book if you ever want to borrow it.

ilanalala February 23, 2010 at 8:56 am

I love reading everyone’s different green smoothie variations. It really inspires me to branch out. I’ve never used coconut water in mine but since coconut water made it onto the grocery list this week, I might try it sometime soon!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) February 23, 2010 at 9:23 am

I definitely have days where I want green smoothies for sure! Yours sounds delicious, I will have to try coconut. Hope your back feels better soon :)

Gena February 23, 2010 at 11:43 am

Ooof, I try, but I’m not a green smoothie girl. Something about fruit+greens just skeeves me out. This, on the other hand? Veggies+greens? Yum!!!

yogiclarebear February 23, 2010 at 6:13 pm

heather i still think you should start a recipezaar HEAB account and post your amazing recipes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 23, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Thanks Clare! :)

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen February 23, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Can’t ever go wrong with a green smoothie day!

Cherie February 23, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Hey Heather…..looks good. I’m still trying to acquire a taste for them, I won’t give up. I sure hope Juliana worked her magic on ya & you feel better soon!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 24, 2010 at 12:16 am

Coconut in any form is so lovely and sweet- I can see how you won’t be missing your stevia at all.

I hope your therapist got your back (doh, sorry). If not, did I tell you about my Korean guy? :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 7:51 am

Deb, Juliana fixed me, but next time in I’m southern Cali, I want your guy to walk on my back!

livelifeeatright February 25, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I tried one of my own this morning!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Sarah February 25, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Mmmm… I seriously have to try one with an avocado! I just started drinking green smoothies again, so I haven’t gotten into much variety just yet. I’m looking forward to trying this one, though! Thanks!

{ 6 trackbacks }