Pine Nuts & Poppy Seeds

by HEAB on February 24, 2010

I went on a walk with the pups this morning and took my camera along. Here is a view of downtown Nashville from near our house…

It was a nice walk, but somedays I really miss yurt life when we had views like this right outside our door…

Do y’all live in a pedestrian friendly area? I love walking the streets of our neighborhood, but I’m more of a trails/woods/mountain kind of girl. :)

I ate some yummy things yesterday. Wanna see?

Lunch was something new…

Barbara has been telling me to try poppy seeds forever. So, I finally bought some, and I can’t wait to experiment with them. I also purchased some pine nuts over the weekend at Costco after reader Carolyn reminded me how delicious they are. Then I happen to read Gena’s latest recipe for slaw with poppyseed dressing using both pine nuts and poppy seeds. I made it immediately, subbing 4 dates for the agave and coconut oil for the olive oil. I then stirred it together with a bag of cabbage slaw and allowed the flavors to marinate in the fridge overnight. The veggie-filled bowl above contained spinach and mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil, steamed Brussels sprouts, and my raw cole slaw topped with raisins and a spoonful of Hemp Hearts. I met up with HEAB reader and new Nashvillian, Catherine, for coffee yesterday morning, and she was kind enough to share her Hemp Hearts with me. Thanks Catherine – I love them!

Then last night after dinner, I had the most amazing plate of sweet potato goodness…

Taking April’s advice, I made Kath’s Low and Slow Sweet Potatoes, but skipped the oil. Toppings were Artisana’s raw coconut butter and cinnamon. This was 2 small sweet potatoes, and after I finished them off, I was kicking myself for not roasting 4. TJ’s sweet potatoes are tee-tiny!

Looking back through this post, I realize how much my readers and other bloggers influence my eats. So, many thanks to everyone out there for your creative recipes and advice. You make my belly so happy.

OK, so please share your favorite poppy seed recipes with me. I think I see some poppy seed pancake roll-ups in my near future. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie February 24, 2010 at 10:37 am

Ooh that reminds me of my mom’s poppyseed roll… it has sugar, so you couldn’t eat it now, though.
LOL did you know that poppyseeds can cause a false positive on a drug test? :)

Oh, and someday I’ll have to show you the pictures I have from my stay in a yurt in northern China! BTW, “Yurt” is an SAT word! Haha we’d both ace that one, huh?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 10:39 am

Katie, Thankfully, no drug tests in my future, and I would love to see your pictures from yurt life in China soon. Sounds very cool!

Heather February 24, 2010 at 10:39 am

these potatoes look amazing! i tried the Kath method the other day and loved it :) it is really nice to live near the mountains…but we’re totally in a pedestrian friendly neighborhood too. best of both worlds!

Jessica @ How Sweet February 24, 2010 at 10:39 am

I do live in a suburb where I can walk, but there isn’t any gorgeous scenery or anything. I wish there was!

Christie @ Honoring Health February 24, 2010 at 10:39 am

I am planning to use the low and slow method tonight for baking some sweet potatoes. I normally just bake them at 400* for 1 hour but they look really caramelized with the low and slow method.

Evan Thomas February 24, 2010 at 10:42 am

Veggie Girl has been getting on me about trying sweet potatoes and coconut butter with the bit of sampler I have left. I think I need to go for it! Can anything not be good with sweet potatoes?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 10:56 am

Evan, Listen to VeggieGirl – you will freaking love that combo!

nicole @ making good choices February 24, 2010 at 10:53 am

You did have really good looking eats yesterday!I need to buy poppy seeds and pine nuts too. I guess on my next trip to whole foods. I have lived all my life in the suburbs so I am not a woodsy girl at all! Have a good day! Your eats inspire me for sure! :)

Sarah Ikegami February 24, 2010 at 10:54 am

I just ran out of cinnamon but must get some to make these sweet potatoes! I love all your recipes, Heather, I get so many ideas from YOU! Thanks!

Tiffany February 24, 2010 at 10:59 am

I also love trying food/meals inspired by other bloggers! It really gets my creative juices flowing and it almost always turns out soo yummy! The view of downtown Nashville, while not as beautiful and relaxing as the view from your yurt, is still pretty impressive as a landscape to just gaze at. I live in the suburbs, so there’s lots of sidewalks for pedestrians, but the views are really just cookie-cutter houses and random buildings as far as the eye can see…

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well February 24, 2010 at 10:59 am

That view is amazing, but I definitely agree with the mountains and woods as being a better walk! Those sweet potatoes look good!

Ameena February 24, 2010 at 11:01 am

I love trying new things that are inspired by other bloggers…that is how I discovered that I really do like sweet potatoes!

I live in a very walkable area of Los Angeles…the smog isn’t the best but you have to take the good with the bad here!

claire February 24, 2010 at 11:02 am

I can definitely see why you miss your yurt! I wish I have more of a view and trails.I guess I would miss convenience, too, though.What can ya do?hehe…I LOVE pine nuts.I’m thinking I’ll toast some and top my veg.I roasted broccoli the other day and thought of you:-) It really wasn’t smelly!! cc

Erica February 24, 2010 at 11:10 am

Hey Heather! I have a VERY pedestrian friendly neighborhood. We have awesome paths for walking, running & biking throughout. Great brussels salad- that looks amazing! I have a big bag of brussels on hand- I may be making something similar later today. Thank you for the idea ;) Is the week treating you well? Any weekend plans? We have friends coming into town

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Hey Erica, Week is going well thus far. We have an engagement party to attend this weekend. Two good friends are getting married, and it’s a surprise party. I hope they haven’t figured it out. Nothing like pulling off a good surprise party. :) Enjoy your out of town guests.

Kristina @MendonPondMusings February 24, 2010 at 11:14 am

Yum. Those sweet potatoes look amazing! I am definitely a trail, woodsy kind of gal. We are house sitting for my in-laws right now and they basically live in the middle of a huge park. We have trails right out our back door. I can’t wait for spring to really take advantage of it!

EE February 24, 2010 at 11:17 am

I’ve yet to find something that isn’t amazing with sweet potatoes!

Heather, I have no doubt that your heaven is a yurt.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 1:30 pm

EE, On both points…agreed! :)

caronae February 24, 2010 at 11:20 am

Hehe, I totally agree with EE here!

I live in NYC, but I’m totall a wilderness/trail runner/explorer. It can get a bit frustrating sometimes, although NYC is quite runner-friendly.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 24, 2010 at 11:22 am

I love poppy seeds, but just to get this on the record – I despise sesame seeds, blech!

LindsayRuns February 24, 2010 at 11:23 am

I like a ton of poppy seeds in my yogurt mixes. Also poppy banana bread is brewing in my brain at the sight of this post!

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) February 24, 2010 at 11:53 am

I LOVE poppy seeds!! I love crusting salmon with them (or chicken), I put them in cereal messes and grind them with cashews until they’re nut butter texture then add lemon zest.
I love love love poppy!! (seaweed salad w/ poppy seeds, sushi with poppy seeds, poppy dressing, poppy muffins, poppy seed granola bars, poppy seeds sprinkled on banana whip.)
Wow, I need to stop! Your blog makes my creative juices flow. I love that!

I live in the country and it is really beautiful. I love walking by horse farms. :-)

Anna February 24, 2010 at 11:54 am

I would LOVE to live somewhere out in the country some day…until then, I’m stuck in our suburban PA neighborhood! There are nice woods about 15 minutes away though, so it’s better than it could be!

I love a good poppyseed muffin, but I feel like that’s so expected! I’m sure you’ll get some really interesting recipe suggestions by people who are more creative than yours truly :-)

Ashley L February 24, 2010 at 11:55 am

I live in a NOTso nice high crime southern suburb of Chicago.

Def not pedestrian friendly.

Still walk it though, but only if my Pitbull comes with. No one will mess with me while walking her.

Metta February 24, 2010 at 11:56 am

I must have overdosed on sweet potatoes in November/December b/c I haven’t had any in a long time, and now I have a big craving.

Love hemp seeds! If you get into eating a lot of them, they are cheaper through online ordering than bulk bins. Although maybe T.J.s is cheaper than Whole Foods? I order mine from Manitoba Harvest (a 5 lb bucket – I eat alot) and even with shipping they are cheaper than bulk at Whole Foods – $12/lb vs. $16.49/lb. Stored in the freezer, 5 lbs last a couple of months.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Cool, thanks Metta.

Margie February 24, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I love pine nuts, but they are not cheap. I’ll have to check Costco next time. I just bought some sweet potatoes today. I going to go bake me some!!

Ashley L February 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Oh gosh I just looked up that rental. It’s exactly the type of place I want to rent for my CO vacation!

Thanks Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Ashley, You’re welcome. I hope you book the yurt – it’s an amazing place!

Marina February 24, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Oh god, I adore poppy seeds. My country has a lot of traditional recipes for pastries and cakes with poppy seeds, and I adore them all :)

Katie February 24, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Yay for the CO shout out! I’m a CO native, and I love looking at the mountains on my walks. :-)

cbrazas February 24, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Yurt life looks awesome. I would love to give that a try. How long did you stay there?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 1:14 pm

cbrazas, We were in Colorado for about 6 weeks last summer, and stayed in the yurt for 3 and 1/2 weeks. It was so beautiful there. I loved it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm

great minds think alike…last nite i roasted fennel & potatoes w/ coconut oil! i am posting it later today …
AND
I bought pine nuts at the grocery yesterday BEFORE reading Gena or your posts. I was going to make raw dessert with them :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 24, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Oooh, I like this technique for the sweet potatoes. I want to try that! I just so happen to have my very first jar of coconut butter on hand as well. Oh mah gawd that stuff really is that good. I spread it on fig-walnut toast last night and was pretty frickin happy. I’ve decided that coconuts must be one of my very favorite foods in the world. Coconuts and all their by-products can do no wrong, in my experience!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Diana, Yes, dare I say I love the coconut more than Mr. Almond? I think I might.

Heather February 24, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I immediately made Gena’s poppyseed dressing too and LOVED it! The great thing about living in the pacific northwest is that eventhough I live downtown there are ginormous trees all around me. I love being outdoors surrounded by trees and nature. Make me happy :)

eaternotarunner February 24, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Oh man sweet potatoes are the best!

Gena February 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Yay! Hope it was tasty, my dear :)

musingsofthegranolagirl February 24, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Poppyseeds! Yum! My Polish family has poppyseed cake at every gathering, but I’m more partial to lemon poppyseed muffins :)

What a tasty looking lunch!

Katie February 24, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I think I am the only one in the world who doesn’t like coconut butter. I got a sample and it is just sitting there staring at me. Mocking me for not liking it. Maybe on sweet potatoes? I just don’t get why everyone likes it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Katie, Wha??? Huh??? Is it the Artisana brand? Yes, yes, try it on a sweet potato, and if you still don’t like it, I’d be glad to take it off your hands. :)

eatmovelove February 24, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I WISH I lived somewhere with trails and mountains and walkable – blah – I really need to move – but just don’t know where or what….and career of course :( ….

HEAB – does the butter TASTE like Coconut?? I can’t get my head wrapped around this haha ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Eatmovelove, the coconut butter consists of coconut oil and coconut meat. What do you think it tastes like? Haha.

Mama Pea February 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm

My mouth is WATERING for coconut butter now. Your sweet taters look AMAZING. We’ve got mountains and trails out here, as you know. Get packing!

thedelishdish February 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

i love poppy seeds but can’t find them anywhere here in st. louis :( ive tried whole foods and trader joes but no luck…will have to search for them online i guess!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 5:24 pm

thedelishdish, Are you looking in the spice section in that baking aisle? That’s where they’re hiding them. :)

BroccoliHut February 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Really must try the SP+coconut butter combo–two of my fave foods in one delicious bite!

gina (fitnessista) February 24, 2010 at 5:23 pm

my boring baked sweet potato is jealous of your decadent coconut butter sweet potatoes. just sayin ;)
hope you’re having a wonderful day, lovely friend!
xoxo

Kelly February 24, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Those potatoes look good! I love the vibrant color. I think it is totally true when they say we eat with our eyes!

thedelishdish February 24, 2010 at 6:29 pm

i asked the ppl at whole foods but no such luck there…but now that i know where to look ill check the regular schnucks. fingers crossed! thanks for the tip :)

Laura February 24, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Ah, shame theres a couple of thousand miles and a great big ocean between us, I have had a pot of Artisana coconut butter relegated to the back of my fridge for well over a year! I know you don’t seem to make your OATGURT!! anymore, but you could always try culturing your own pine nut cheese? Its supposed to be nice…?! Btw, somewhere in the blogosphere I read that if, by unfortunate chance you eat rancid pine nuts, it alters your taste for over a week- this poor lady couldn’t stand most foods- so I always store mine in the fridge/freezer! Having lived in London for six years and moving away to another city I have to say I miss it so much, its like having a humungous city and the countryside (aka lots of parks/gardens/heaths) all rolled into one ;( I also miss reading about your adventures in Colorado…

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Laura, I miss London too. Such an amazing city. Do you not like the Artisana butter? So wish I was there to eat it for you. :)

Yes, was just thinking I needed more fermented foods in my life. Love Oatgurt and don’t know why I haven’t made it in so long. Perhaps I’ll pick up some oat groats soon. :)

Danielle February 24, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I actually have some poppyseeds in my pantry that I had no idea what to do with! Can’t wait to see the stuff you come up with :D

Light Delight with Tou Tou February 24, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I really really love poppy seeds because of their nutty flavor….there is a poppy seed bread in TJ that always on my grocery list… yet I heard that poppy seeds can get you easily addicted!! haha :-D

Kath February 24, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Yummers!! I bet that coconut butter was AWESOME on the taters!!

Lindsay Heuser February 24, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Hi Heather! Just started reading your blog and am loving all your crazy, unique recipes! Anyways, I am from Colorado Springs (currently living in Hartford, CT…sigh), and that picture from your “yurt” looks an awful lot like the backside of beautiful Pikes Peak. Am I right, or am I totally off-base with my name-that-mountain guess? Just thought I’d check. I miss CO so much, and that picture made me miss it even more. I get to live there once again though come August when I move to Boulder! It can’t come soon enough!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Linsday, You got it! The yurt where we stayed was in Woodland Park, and that was indeed Pike’s Peak. We to go to Colorado for 6 weeks every summer. We love it – I don’t know why everyone doesn’t live in your beloved home state. :)

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness February 24, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Ah I just love your veggie inspirations! :)

Michal February 24, 2010 at 9:10 pm

low and slow sweet potatos? That sounds like my kind of meal :)

kristin February 24, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I bet poppy seeds would go god with nut butter stir fries :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Kristin, Yes, I believe you are correct. :)

The Pancake Girl February 24, 2010 at 10:07 pm

What gorgeous views!! I’m slightly jealous- it’s basically all cityscape around here in D.C.!

I HATE how tiny TJ’s sweet potatoes are- I was recently complaining on my own blog about that haha. PS. Try them with almond butter if you haven’t already- so good!

Annie February 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Ahh hey it’s Pikes Peak! I live in Colorado Springs, CO – thought that mountain looked familiar! :-P

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 25, 2010 at 6:56 am

Annie, I love your city! We stay in Manitou Springs or Woodland Park for 6 weeks every summer. I miss it!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 24, 2010 at 11:27 pm

My fave poppyseed recipe is a simple lemon/poppyseed break I used to make in the bread machine- sigh. Days long gone. Second fave use of poppyseeds is on a Wasa cracker- don’t go looking for it here- it only exists in Sweden. Double sigh.

Alyssa February 24, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Hey Heather!

I just bought some coconut butter, and I am trying to figure out what I should do with it. Do you pull some out of the jar and then heat it up? Or do you heat up the whole jar? Seems kind of useless in its hardened form. Thanks!!

Alyssa

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 25, 2010 at 6:58 am

Alyssa, I usually set the jar out by a warm oven or in front of my space heater for a few minutes. It starts to melt, and I’m able to scoop out a spoonful or two.

Samantha February 24, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Your view is great! (as was the yurt view)

Those eats sound yummy. I’ve bookmarked lots of recipes in my few days gone to try when I’m not living in a pseudo hotel room. I did refuel with an aaahhhmazing bowl of oat bran this morning though spruced up with PB2. And got my Jay Love on today!

Carolyn February 25, 2010 at 7:04 am

Deb…Is there a particular “Swedish” Wasa you love, that is only available over there, cause i see that brand of crackers all over the place here… ? Am i carn-fuzd by what you were commenting??? ;-)

Pure2raw twins February 25, 2010 at 7:09 am

Love poppy seed dressings :) I love taking walks as well, I enjoy trails and hiking as well (mainly due that is what my boyfriend loves to do), though I just love walking in general no matter where it is ;)

carolinebee February 25, 2010 at 7:42 am

YURT!!! forgot how fun that word is :D
Those sweet potatoes look sooo good, i love those little baby ones from tj’s! I was laughing about your food hiding places, for as LONGGGG as i can remember, i’ve hidden baby candy in my underwear drawer- like halloween size/fun size candy…i don’t even know why!? hahahha..maybe i thought my mom would steal it when i was younger or something..but i live across the country, and my roomie HATES chocolate, yet i still hide it!? :D

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) February 25, 2010 at 9:27 am

Carolyn- There are NO wasa crackers that I go gaga over in this country. There are a million flavors of Wasa, just none that compare to the poppy seed ones in Sweden, totally IMO. The ones I go absolutely mad for in Sweden are called Frukost Fullkorn (I know, nutty swedes!) and the other one is straight up poppy seeds (unsure of the translation). Hope that helps. (or not, unless you’re planning a trip to sweden any time soon) :-)

Savannah Brentnall February 25, 2010 at 12:37 pm

How do you substitute coconut oil for olive oil? Every jar of coconut oil in my local Whole FOods is solid, not liquid. Is it possible to buy it as a liquid or should I be heating it first to liquify it?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 25, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Savannah, I simply spoon it out and throw it in the blender. Even in solid form, it mixes just fine. However, if you need to drizzle the coconut oil, simply stick your jar in a warm area for a few minutes. I’ll place mine next to the stove-top while cooking or in front of my space heater. :)

kristilyn February 25, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I’m definitely more into trails than traffic. We live on an acreage and there are trails, but not nearly enough. It’s great for the dogs, too, but be careful if a rabbit pops out somewhere!

K

Marisa February 26, 2010 at 12:02 am

We located from Ca. to Bend OR. There is something to be said when drinking a cup a coffee and watching a herd of deer walk by or the amazing smell of nature or mountain air. Totally centers me.

Bekah February 26, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Yes yes! Cheers to blogger influence! Psshhh *secretly* Heather, you know we all fell in love with your kabocha before we fell in love with you! :)

(I’m typing this like you invented kabocha.)
Loving all of this vegetable galorreee.

Victoria February 28, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Hi there,

Your Brussels sprouts dish looks great! Do you have a recipe? I love Brussels sprouts and am looking for new ways to cook them. I would never have thought to toss them in with raisins!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 1, 2010 at 7:24 am

Victoria, Here is a post describing how I usually cook my veggies: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/02/03/whats-in-that-bowl/. For the bowl with the raisins, I simply steamed the Brussels sprouts and topped them with raw cole slaw ( http://www.choosingraw.com/fennel-cabbage-and-carrot-slaw-with-poppyseed-dressing/), raisins, and hemp hearts.

Victoria February 28, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Whoops, never mind! Silly me – you wrote it in the post! I just saw the pic and got a little too excited….

Heather March 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Ahhh yurt living. My husband and I dream of this often. :) We do happen to live in a pedestrian friendly area, though! We’ve got a lovely canyon right next to us. Beautiful food pics, they are making me very hungry. :)

-Heather