Smitten Meets HEAB

by HEAB on February 26, 2010

Last week, CD and I made the most amazing tomato sauce from Smitten Kitchen. The sauce was simple and delicious. Therefore, I’m not sure what possessed me to doctor it up, but I did. :)

I present to you I’m Smitten with Marinutta Sauce

I followed Smitten’s recipe, but used 2 TBSP butter instead of 4. While the sauce simmered, I browned 1 lb. of grass fed finished beef in a skillet and added it to the sauce after both were done cooking. I then stirred in 2 TBSP of Nuttzo Nut Butter. We ate the sauce over raw spiralized zucchini squash, cooked spaghetti squash, and steamed Brussels. This was so good. I loved the addition of the meat, and the occasional hazelnut chunk from the Nuttzo. All that remained on my plate were some zucchini squash noodles. I don’t know…just wasn’t feeling them that night. However, they sure tasted good the next morning at breakfast!

First, I cooked 2 strips of bacon and then in the same skillet, I sauteed my leftover squash with several handfuls of spinach. When my veggies were done cooking, I added two eggs to the mix and topped my mess with some cream cheese. Such a satisfying brekkie.

I haven’t talked much about my exercise lately. I’ve just been walking everyday for about an hour. That’s it. No yoga this week – taking it easy and enjoying the sunshine. I’m in the less is more zone and feeling GREAT. :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices February 26, 2010 at 9:06 am

I grew up eating traditional homemade tomato sauce and I can eat it like soup I love it so much. This recipe looks like a great change over zucchini “pasta”! I am all with you on the taking it easy, I am not leaving the house today after this ridiculous snow storm round #4 or 5.

Evan Thomas February 26, 2010 at 9:08 am

That sauce sounds great! I’m going to look at the recipe now. I have 1/4lb grass fed beef left and I am soo tired of burgers

Angela February 26, 2010 at 9:14 am

i saw that on her website a while back and it looked fab. I love your take on it. that looks to die for!!!! I must make this soon.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 26, 2010 at 9:16 am

Ahh yes, less is more. I hear ya. I finally heard that little message that told me to slow down and just be and have had a very similar week. Finally got back on the mat this morning and felt healthy and refreshed.

Gorgeous breaky – in fact, I shall copy it :) Savory and delicious!

Have a good day Heather!

Cat February 26, 2010 at 9:23 am

I LOVE that smitten kitchen recipe but also love your additions to kick it up a notch nutritionally!
Your post reminded me that I have a veggie spiralizer and I need to dust it off and use it! Thank you for the inspiration!

Shelly February 26, 2010 at 9:38 am

Yum! I need to try Marinutta sauce!

Heather February 26, 2010 at 9:56 am

wow, what a cool recipe! i’ll definitely need to try this soon…but i love my pasta, so i’ll probably do that and not zucchini :)

Jessica @ How Sweet February 26, 2010 at 10:08 am

I actually don’t like tomato sauce at all, but everything looks so amazing on smitten kitchen that I would most likely eat it!

Can You Stay for Dinner February 26, 2010 at 10:11 am

Heather, this is a beautiful addition to an already fantastic recipe! I use SmittenKitchen all the time for recipes- Deb is a genius.
Thanks for your wonderful and creative ideas. I made zucchini muffins this morning and was looking for cream cheese to top them and thought of you and your love of the creamy goodness.
Have a wonderful day!

Erica February 26, 2010 at 10:20 am

Marinutta! So So good! I got my sister in law hooked on it too. Love it over all those veggies. What a meal. Glad you’re enjoying the long walks. Enjoy the weekend- I hope its warming up there too!

Anna February 26, 2010 at 10:25 am

Marinutta…lol. Sounds delicious! I’ll have to give it a try!

adrienmelaine February 26, 2010 at 10:31 am

Great addition with the nut butter- you can’t really go wrong adding it to anything!

Allie (Protein Girl) February 26, 2010 at 10:33 am

Smitten Kitchen has such amazing photography. Yours looks like a meal I eat once a week! Yummy.

Sometimes less is more. This week for me is all about recreational activity and taking the stairs, with only one ‘real’ workout. The whole point of exercise is to be healthy and active enough to enjoy life outside of the gym, right?

Maybe it’s a yin yoga week for you?

Katy @ These Beautiful Feet February 26, 2010 at 10:44 am

Oh that sounds super yummy! I love the addition of the nut butter. I added nuts to stir fry the other day and it gave it such a different dimension of flavor. This sounds awesome!

kettlebelllove February 26, 2010 at 10:47 am

Your food posts never fail to make me hungry! :) I love SK, and that sauce sounds amazing. I can’t wait until it’s warm enough outside to take long walks again. I miss walking like crazy when the weather is so frigid.

-Beth

Allison @ Food For Healing February 26, 2010 at 10:50 am

That looks absolutely tasty!!

Abi February 26, 2010 at 11:15 am

Mmm, bacon. Must buy bacon. There’s nothing better than bacon with a heaping of veggies!

eatmovelove February 26, 2010 at 11:19 am

Sounds like a nice “zone” to be in girl :) Cheers.

Katie February 26, 2010 at 11:26 am

Your dinner looks fantastic as always. I’m trying to remind myself of the less is more mantra this week, too.

Kristen February 26, 2010 at 11:26 am

I’ve been making this sauce with Earth Balance and we love it! I like not buying the ready made stuff, too.

Lindsay February 26, 2010 at 11:29 am

I’m sure I’ll be smitten as well. Definitely try this!

Cat February 26, 2010 at 11:47 am

Heather, can you remind us (me) what gadget you use to spiralize your zuchinni? I really want to try it and haven’t found one yet!

Thanks!!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 26, 2010 at 1:16 pm
Gina February 26, 2010 at 11:53 am

Breakfast looks so good…I’d like to start experimenting with different veggies in the morning. I think I may need to invest in a spiralizer! I have a week coming up where my boyfriend will be out of town…perfect time to create random meals for myself that he would otherwise be dubious about eating:)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 26, 2010 at 11:58 am

Yah, sometimes there are those days/weeks where you just don’t feel like slamming yourself with exercise-I’m sure you’re smart to listen to your body.

I tried that sauce once and it was amazing. (I Deb-i-fied it of course- hers would have been better!)

theemptynutjar February 26, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I am a walker-for-life. Can we start a 2-man club? :)

Janet (pantrybites) February 26, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Nut butter in tomato sauce sounds yum! Fat does make everything taste better.

eaternotarunner February 26, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I’ve gotta try that sauce!

Maggie February 26, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Your exercise this week is my ideal routine :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Maggie, I know – I totally thought of you when I typed that part of my post today. :)

caronae February 26, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I never would have thought of adding nut butter to a pasta sauce. Thanks for the inspiration :) And that breakfast just looks satisfying!

EE February 26, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Ah, very nice: Smitten with Heabie Pasta. Have a great Friday!

Mama Pea February 26, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I’m enjoying the “Less is More” approach these days too, and it’s amazing how your appetite, energy, etc. all evens out!!!! Enjoy your weekend, love!

luckytastebuds February 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I loove the innovation and incorporation of the SK sauce recipe. I would love to make my bf this dish. He’s a total carnivore who’s beginning to warm towards vegetables…mmm he’d be so happily confused. hehehe

charlotte February 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I’m glad you are feeling so good! I’m a little jealous of your sunshine:) Love your breakfast veggies!

Light Delight with Tou Tou February 26, 2010 at 3:53 pm

veggies for breakfast!!! I always want to do it , greens makes my day lights up!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 26, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I love making recipes my own! Isn’t that what it is all about??? Good for you doing what you feel like this week. I have done the same, but it is because I got my butt kicked by a nasty virus! Back on the up hill now, but I shared it with my husband in just enough time for company to show up…ooops! have a great weekend!

musingsofthegranolagirl February 26, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Wow that meal looks great! :)

& your breakfast looks delicious, too!

marla {family fresh cooking} February 26, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I have never heard of Nuttzo before. Just check out the webpage, looks like I need to get some. Never really met a nut butter I didn’t like. I couldn’t imagine it in this sauce, but I love your take!

Gabriela (froyolover) February 26, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Wow – that recipe looked truly divine! :D
Loved it!
Have a great weekend!
Brazilian XOXO┬┤s,
Gabriela

Pure2raw twins February 27, 2010 at 5:50 am

Sauce looks amazing :) It has been awhile since I have had zucchini pasta, makes me crave it! Glad you have been enjoying your walks and sunshine :)