Green Smoothie Monday

by HEAB on March 2, 2010

I’m liking my new tradition. Pancake Sunday followed by a Green Smoothie day. Don’t know if I’ll do it every week, but yesterday left me feeling green and energized.

First off, I must mention that Vita Coco knows I love their products, and they were kind enough to send me a box of free samples. Thanks Vita Coco! Normally, I only buy the plain 100% pure coconut water, and I was excited to try the company’s various flavors yesterday.

I started off the day with green smoothie #1 consisting of 1 serving of Vita Coco pineapple coconut water, 1 chopped avocado, 2 mini cucumbers, 2 handfuls of spinach, 5 ice cubes, maca powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and unsweetened shredded coconut for my topping. I love the cinnamon, vanilla, and maca together. It cuts down on the “green” taste, and I just really enjoy the combination of flavors.

Then I worked out with a mop, a broom, and a vacuum cleaner. 4 hours later, our house was sparkling. Note to CD and dogs, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. ;)

I refueled with lunch. First I had a pound (yes, 1 pound) of roasted broccoli. It went straight from the freezer to my cast iron skillet, and after topping it with 1/2 TBSP coconut oil, salt, and pepper, I roasted it in a 425° oven for about 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. No, I did not thaw it first, and no, my house did not stink. Yay!

After my bowl of veggie goodness, I had green smoothie #2. Same ingredients, except I used tangerine coconut water and raw macadamia nuts as my topping. I forgot the ice, resulting in a thinner smoothie. Still tasty thought.

The flavored coconut waters are good, but a bit too sweet for my blood. After I go through my samples, I’ll go back to drinking the plain variety.

Snack was 1/2 of this Bakers unsweetened chocolate baking square.

Dinner…

A huge veggie stir-fry with Brussels, 1 onion, mushrooms, and spinach cooked in coconut oil and topped with salsa and nutritional yeast. Too big…couldn’t finish. However, about 10 minutes after feeling way too full to eat one more Brussel, I wanted a little snack.

So, I had some unsweetened vanilla almond milk warmed up on the stove-top with cinnamon and the other half of my Bakers chocolate square.

Not pictured were 2 cups of coffee with heavy cream. I love my veggie-filled days, but looking back, I was definitely lacking in the protein department. Hmm, time to make up for that with today’s breakfast. I think I see some bacon in my future. :)

Jaya March 2, 2010 at 8:32 am

What a funny coincidence, I had warmed up milk (stovetop) last night too and had it with something chocolatey as well. Killer combination. When I was younger, my parents used to each drink a cup of milk before bed and I’ve taken to that habit lately. It is a great way to just relax. I sometimes toss a spoon of psyllium in, and if you keep stirring while you drink, it never ends up turning into sludge. Magnifique!

Jessica @ How Sweet March 2, 2010 at 8:34 am

Great idea adding the coconut water to a green smoothie. I don’t really like the coconut water alone, but that is a wonderful use for it. Definitely gonna try that!

The Foodie Diaries March 2, 2010 at 8:39 am

I tried making brocc the same way yesterday–and it was SOOO stink-free and DELICIOUS that i literally ate the whole head. I felt like you ;)

Claudia @...and so I ran March 2, 2010 at 8:42 am

I just recently started drinking Vita Coco after running. I love adding it to my Green Smoothie it makes it so refreshing. I’ve only had the pure coconut water never tired the flavored but the Acai & Pom sounds good.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 2, 2010 at 8:48 am

I totally can’t stomach coconut water, but I keep trying it because I like the flavor!

I made THE BEST pancakes this morning w/almond flour, eggs, coconut flour, almond milk and blueberries…will email recipe later!

nicole @ making good choices March 2, 2010 at 8:50 am

There are so many new things I need to try like coconut water, green smoothies, coconut oil etc. You inspire me!

Kristina @MendonPondMusings March 2, 2010 at 8:52 am

I’m GREEN with envy – what a lovely veggie filled day. I feel like there should be some kind of pop-eye logo to go with green monsters…

Can You Stay for Dinner March 2, 2010 at 9:05 am

Heather, I’m always so inspired by your veggie filled meals! I love that you eat such a beautiful variety of them and have fun with toppings and sauces!
Have a beautiful Tuesday!
- Andrea

Kelly March 2, 2010 at 9:07 am

I love coconut water but I perfer just the plain flavor. But I never thought of adding it to a smoothie…brilliant!! :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 2, 2010 at 9:09 am

Cleaning is the BEST workout–it also has stress relieving benefits (and feel good endorphins) too. But seriously…mopping is one heck of a workout

Sarah March 2, 2010 at 9:15 am

Your broccoli looks so yummy! Maybe you should try the glade plug ins or something to mask the broccoli-ness. Or when you open Heab-Hop you can have a broccoli addicts anonymous part of your menu ;) Pancakes and broccoli…yummmmmm.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 9:18 am

Sarah, Ha ha – I’ll dedicate an entire room to broccoli lovers at HEAB-Hop. :)

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 2, 2010 at 9:25 am

Uhh, this just makes me miss my blender ;)

Delish!

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 2, 2010 at 9:28 am

your smoothies are SO GORGEOUS!!! i love that shade of green :) way to go with the sparkling house…gotta admit i’m a little jealous! do you guys do anything with your dogs (brush daily, bathe every week, etc) that helps keep the house cleaner? i’m open to just about anything! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 9:32 am

Heather, No, and one of our dogs sheds like crazy. I’m constantly cleaning, but they’re worth it. :) Besides, from what I understand, it’s not good to bathe a dog every week. It dries out their skin.

Cherie March 2, 2010 at 9:39 am

I didn’t know it was green Monday, but I participated, too! Did you see my green smoothie, Heather Pie? I was sooo proud. I felt like you taking pictures of my green blender goodies. It was delicious. I’ll have to make a stir fry with my brussel sprouts like yours. That looks yummy! Miss you!

Shelly March 2, 2010 at 9:40 am

I love maca and cinnamon together- especially with apple slices and peanut butter. I think maca kind of tastes like pumpkin pie by itself- is that weird? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 9:50 am

Shelly, Now weird at all. I think maca tastes like caramel…kind of burnt. :)

jaclyn@todayslady March 2, 2010 at 9:42 am

I love when you can get a workout from cleaning! Such great multitasking! Mmmmm roasted broccoli…. I should make it this way. I’m not too into the house smelling like broccoli :) I’ve never had a green monster but I love how you had 2 in one day. It must make you feel great!

charlotte March 2, 2010 at 9:45 am

I love how you eat! If I come to Tennessee will you cook me a stir fry?? I had a green smoothie for breakfast this morning and it was delish!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 9:49 am

Charlotte, Of course, and I’ll have a pint of coconut milk ice-cream in the freezer for ya. :)

granolamakinmommy March 2, 2010 at 9:46 am

We recently made the switch to frozen broccoli too, not because of the stinkyness, but because it seems to be a little bit less. I am still a little disappointed in it though, the florets seem too dense and I haven’t gotten it as nutty tasting as the fresh broccoli. :( I will try it in my cast iron skillet and see if that makes a difference! I don’t know what I would do with out my bowl’o'broccoli and tahini for lunch! <3

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heathee March 2, 2010 at 9:50 am

I envy your green smoothies! I’d feel so refreshed after drinking one of those… Wish I had one right now!

Anna March 2, 2010 at 9:57 am

I’ve been eating a ton of green smoothies lately! They make me feel so fresh and energized :-) Something about that big cup of green just makes me smile!

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well March 2, 2010 at 10:10 am

I’ve heard so many great things about the electrolytes in coconut juice, I’ll have to give it a try!

eaternotarunner March 2, 2010 at 10:11 am

Honestly, I can’t get over how much I love green smoothies right now! I might be obsessed ;-)

Danielle March 2, 2010 at 10:20 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who can plow through a pound of broccoli at one time :D

I always want to try unsweetened chocolate but I’m hesitant. Maybe it’s an aquired taste?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 10:56 am

Danielle, I started out by dipping it in almond butter, but now I love the Bakers chocolate on all it’s own. That being said, I don’t like other unsweetened chocolates nearly as much. Yep, I love the cheap stuff. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 2, 2010 at 10:32 am

I was talking to my husband yesterday about you…and your love of bacon. I said if there was one person that could feed us both well…it would be you! For me…I would take any of your veggies, oats or pancakes…for him…anything with bacon! I will have to check out the coconut water. I was curious about that after your post yesterday!

Jenn March 2, 2010 at 10:33 am

I’m sort of embarrassed to admit this but I have never tried a Green Smoothie. Unless you count the green tea ones from Jamba Juice ;-) Seeing all the pictures of yours is making me think I should at least give them a chance. I LOOOOVEE coconut milk so with that as a base I’m building up courage to take the plunge.

Tracey March 2, 2010 at 10:49 am

I LOVE grilled brocolli. I like to make mine a bit on the spicy side, so good.

I’ve been wanting to try the coconut water but haven’t found it at the stores I shop. I’m going to have to keep an eye out for it.

thedelishdish March 2, 2010 at 10:50 am

wow what a green day!! and ill have to try the frozen broccoli trick…i never thought the frozen stuff could keep its shape so well. it looks so good i would have guessed it was fresh!

Ameena March 2, 2010 at 11:00 am

Love the stir-fry! I make something similar, douse it in spaghetti sauce, and consider it gluten-free pasta. :) Much healthier and easier than trying to find the real gluten-free pasta which often tastes gummy.

The unsweetened chocolate is a bit too bitter for my taste but I’m hopefully working my way there!

idreamoftahini March 2, 2010 at 11:08 am

I recently bought a bar of Ghiradelli unsweetened baking chocolate. The first bite is wonderful since I adore dark chocolate. It’s the second bite when your mouth is waiting for the sweetness that catches me off guard. I definately can eat it and enjoy it like that, but I know its something I need to keep training my tastes buds with.

Love the frozen broccoli idea. I even think I have some in the freezer. Fresh is so expensive organic, so I’m going to try some this week. I know when I saute frozen it tastes wonderful.

Thanks for the ideas!

Liz March 2, 2010 at 11:20 am

I’ll have to try the roasted broccoli — I definitely need some variety since I think I’ve had the slow roasted sweet potatoes just about every night!

Jennifer Trigo March 2, 2010 at 11:47 am

Hoo-rah again for green smoothies. I made one yesterday before belly dancing after pondering what I could eat that would give me an adequate amount of protein and energy without all the addition belly bulk usually aquanted with a regular meal. So into the blend went my veggies and some protein. I used an already made protein drink as the fluid and topped the bowl off with almond butter of course! It actually worked out pretty well, I wasn’t super full and was able to dance in comfort. Sweet!

oh yeah, and I finally got some legit Nutiva coconut oil opposed to the walmart stuff. It is so good! I couldn’t even taste coconut in the other stuff. lame lame.

Katie March 2, 2010 at 11:52 am

You got me hooked on that chocolate; I love it and the price! :D
Have you tried broiling the broccoli? I cook it the same way, but broil instead of 425 – it cooks in about half the time. Good for when you need your broccoli fix fast!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Katie, I have not tried broiling. Thanks for the tip!

Julia March 2, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Hi Heather!
I have a non-food question for you, and it is a bit personal (so feel free to ignore if you’d rather not) — your husband looks like a pretty thin man, and I was wondering if at any point in your relationship that bothered you or existed as a problem to any degree.

I ask because my boyfriend is also thin; he is a marathon runner and actually has to be quite vigilant about calories and whatnot in order to avoid losing weight, and occasionally I feel self-conscious: about eating more than him, about weighing the same, about the fact that he can fit into my pants (note: I’m 5’7″ and 120 pounds and he’s 5’10 and 125-130), etc.

This isn’t an issue of me thinking I should lose weight, at all. Nor do I really care what other people think. I guess I am surprised at my reaction to his smallness at times and at the prevalence of guy/girl size ratios, as seen in the media and suggested by much of society. I’ve always dated men much bigger than myself (the muscled, football player type) and so the issue never occurred to me — until my current relationship. It sounds so silly, but I find myself wishing I were smaller than him, and when I stop to think why, it is only because “the girl is always smaller than the guy.” Where did that rhetoric come from??? It is so silly.

Anyway, I apologize for rambling on, but I just wondered if you had any insights or comments. Or anyone else!

Thanks! And keep up with your amazing blog; I read it every day :)

Julia

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Thanks for reading Julia. Chris and I often joke about the fact that we’re the same size. Usually we weigh about the same, but I have weighed more than him at times, and I have weighed less. CD never counts his calories, but he eats what I would consider to be a very healthy diet. He’s not a big carb guy, and gets most of what he needs from vegetables. Of course, if he’s doing more training or running in a long race, he’ll eat what he needs. He does like to keep his weight in check, but only because a few extra pounds can mean a few seconds off every mile in a race.

Does it bother me that we are the same size? No, not really. I mean I sometimes envy the fact that he has a very low body fat percentage, but he’s a boy and just naturally leaner. Plus, I’ve been way smaller than him in the past, and honestly, it wasn’t that fun. I’m at a healthy weight and happy with my size. Besides, it’s nice to be able to steal my husband’s boxer shorts to use as PJ’s. :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) March 2, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I have never tried coconut water but I am hoping to soon. I love all those veggies!

EE March 2, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Tradition! Now I’m thinking about Fiddler on the Roof.

Our Kroger was out of the Baker’s unsweetened chocolate for a week, but they had it today. I was thrilled to have it back in my life.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm

glad you got the no-stanky brock goin’ :)
thanks for answering the coconut(cocoa) butter vs. oil question…butter sweeter than the oil. I think I just died and went to heaven and cant wait to crack open my dixie cup sized sample, i.e. like 1 Tbsp
Flavored coconut water…I am a plain girl but have never tried the flaves. Thanks for the 411!

Serena March 2, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Living in the Philippines, I can’t drink those straight out of the package because they taste slightly artificial to me. However, I LOVE them in green smoothies ;) They are a nice, light, fruity base as opposed to milks and sweeter/better (in my opinion) than using plain water…oh yum. ;)

Dukka girl March 2, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Looks like there’s plenty of protein in all that- greens aren’t too bad on the protein front. As you say, you can make up for it some other day, it’s nice to give the body just some green lovin’.

Lara (Thinspired) March 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I am dying to try coconut water in my smoothie! I’ve been concocting a pina cola-like one in my head: coconut water, frozen pineapple, frozen banana….hmmm, and I guess some spinach thrown in for good measure :)

Is Vita Coco your recommended brand of coconut water? (You can email me if you want! :) ) There seem to be 3 big ones at Whole Foods and I haven’t tried all of them yet…

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Lara, Yes, I like Vita-Coco, but honestly, the only reason I started buying it in the first place was because it was $.20 cheaper than the other brands at Whole Foods. I liked the taste and figured why mess with a good thing?

eatmovelove March 2, 2010 at 2:32 pm

That is aLOT of veggies!!! Alot cleaner than what I ate…Wow – I’m guessing that could go either way for your , ahem, digestion….;)

Very colorful though!

Never tried Coconut Water…or nutritional yeast…love my cheese :)

n.D. March 2, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Gosh, my smoothies never look that good. I had to toss mine today because it had chunks of banana and ice which totally grossed me out. I want to chuck my blender so badly.

Melissa March 2, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Love O.N.E.! Heres a picture of my future husband singin props for O.N.E.

isn’t he dreamy ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Mrs. Mraz, I’ve never tried the O.N.E., but I’ll check it out when I run out of Vita Coco. :)

BroccoliHut March 2, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Amazingly enough, that’s a method of preparing broccoli that I have not yet tried–looks delish!!

Kelly March 2, 2010 at 5:44 pm

The ghiradelli unsweetened chocolate is sooooo yummy! Very smooth…

Sarah March 2, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Maybe an awkward question but darn! How does your stomach handle all those vegetables? I would love to be able to consume that many veggies, but when I try, I end up waaaay bloated and uncomfortable… Does this happen to you?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Sarah, Not an awkward question at all, and I addressed it in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/02/15/cant-do-cruciferous/. Thankfully, veggies never bother me. Only high protein dairy and soy products.

musingsofthegranolagirl March 2, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Amaaaaaazing dinner! I love veggies and just had a huge plate of sauteed veggies myself :)

Lucky lady for getting a box of vita coco!

Light Delight with Tou Tou March 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Oh Whoa – the green smoothie is soooo smooth!! the texture is so adorable. I would be really happy to drink it – like drinking something really creamy !

theprocessofhealing March 2, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Wow that’s a lot of GREEN in one day haha
I’ll have to try the broccoli trick! I LOVE it but it sure is stinky :)

Pure2raw twins March 2, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Both green smoothies look yummy! We love coconut water.

fartygirl March 2, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I’m w. you… vita coco flavored coconut waters are too sweet. But the plain ones are yummy mixed with almond milk. A creamy treat.

What does maca taste like?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Farty, I think maca tastes kind of like burnt caramel. Others say it tastes like malted powder. I love it.

Jessica @ Fit & Clean March 2, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Oh my! That veggie stir fry looks fantastic. I have to admit, I saw you roast broccoli, and I took a pound bag the other day and ate 3/4 of it at dinner that night. Roasted broccoli ROCKS! So I have 2 things to thank you for now: Coconut Butter, and Roasted Broccoli. YAY!!! :) :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Jessica, Yes, yay indeed! You’re welcome. :)

Emily March 3, 2010 at 4:11 am

I love how much green you eat. You’re the healthiest person I know. I want to try drinking these green drinks every day. I want my skin to glow!

Do you like kale chips? I just made those the other day. I kind of liked them.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 3, 2010 at 8:08 am

Emily, I LOVE kale chips, and I am not a big kale fan at all. They’re so good, especially with ketchup!

Ana March 3, 2010 at 5:54 am

See, I told you frozen roasted broccoli was awesome and didn’t smell!!! I love roasted broccoli, those browned bits are so good!
Love the green smoothies, gotta make some for myself!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 3, 2010 at 8:09 am

Yes, thanks Ana. I couldn’t remember who told me…you’ve changed my life. :)

CaSaundra March 3, 2010 at 5:58 am

Ive always wanted to give the vitacoconut water a try–I am usually a huge fan of anything coconutty

Our Green Nest March 3, 2010 at 9:25 am

They look YUMMY!!!! Quick question…have you done any research into Nutritional Yeast and MSG??? Some articles have been making their way around and I’ve done some futher research but was curious if you knew anything? Some sources say even if MSG isn’t added to NY (which brands like Frontier and Red Star say they don’t do), it occurs as a result of NY’s growth and processing….Just wondering.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 3, 2010 at 9:29 am

Our Green Nest, Nope, never heard of MSG occurring in Nutritional Yeast. I purchase mine from the bulk bins at Whole Foods – so I don’t even know what brand I buy.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm

haha would you like veggies with a side of veggies and wash it down with a green smoothie? hehee ;-) I know someone else who would!

Brittany March 4, 2010 at 9:09 am

I NEED to try one of these green smoothies, but I’m scared. I love sweet things that taste like baking so I tend to steer away from green. I just need to force myself to replace a meal or snack and have it!!

{ 1 trackback }