Fermented Oats

by HEAB on March 4, 2010

I’ve been experimenting with my Costco HeatDish again. ;)

I’ve read in the past that soaking & fermenting our grains before we eat them makes them easier to digest. Last summer, I got on an oatgurt kick but haven’t made any in a while, and I’ve been having major oatgurt cravings. However, I’m all out of raw oat groats, nor did I want to wait three days to eat it. So, for the past two nights, I’ve been covering 1/2 cup steel cut oats with water, allowing them to ferment for 24 hours in front of my heat dish. Many thanks to Nicole for the idea!

After 24 hours, I drained off the soaking water, and cooked the oats on the stove-top in about 1 1/2 cups water. The cooking time was cut in half thanks to the soaking and in about 10 minutes, I had a warm bowl of oaty goodness.

Bowl #1 consisted of 1/2 fermented steel cut oats with 3/4 container So Delicious plain coconut milk yogurt stirred in after cooking plus vanilla, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Toppings were Trader Joe’s almond flaxseed butter and toasted almonds. This was my dinner, and I slept like a baby afterwards.

Last night, I had bowl #2.

I cooked my oats with salt, vanilla, and cinnamon and stirred in 1 TBSP butter once they were done cooking. For the topping I made Coconut Almond Butter. I’ve seen this Coconut Peanut Butter on several blogs and decided to try making my own with almond butter. I even stirred in a few toasted almonds for some crunch. After spooning it on my oats, it melted and was so yummy. All I did was soften 1/4 cup coconut oil on the stove-top and then stirred it together with 1/2 cup almond butter and a handful of toasted almonds. I then placed it in a glass jar in the fridge to solidify. That’s it. You should try it…I dare ya.

Neither of these bowls tasted sour at all, and so I’m not even sure if any fermentation really occurred, but at least my grains got a good 24 hour soak. My belly said Thank-you. :)

How are you going to get in your good bacteria today?

jentrinque March 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

I am definitely going to try this (the original oatgurt first)! I love it when I read about new ideas in blogworld!

Brianne March 4, 2010 at 7:31 am

Defiantly a thumbs up to soaking/sprouting grains. If you dont soak/ferment/sprout it can deplete your body of minerals (it defiantly depleted zinc for me) and if you think about how many whole grains people eat (it can make up a huge part of vegan.veggie diets) that are not properly prepared…eek. I bet there are a lot of people who are low in minerals. I’ll say it again, you are a huuuuge breath of fresh air that truly can impact a large crowd . Love it!

Did you see this article by fellow blogger Jennifer- she is a traditional foods enthusiast and managed to get a great spot on the cnn website. Some of the comments disturb me though!

Also I am currently reading Nina Plancks “Real Food” and love it. I think you would too.

Take Care

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 7:42 am

Thanks so much Brianne, I’ll check out the link and look into *Real Food*.

Lina March 4, 2010 at 7:47 am

I try to soak my grains before eating them as well, they come out sooo creamy and good! I don’t think you mentioned it, but in order to truly ferment them I add a tbsp of lemon juice or yogurt so that the acids break down all the bad gunk on the grain.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 7:57 am

Oh okay, thanks Lina!

Melissa March 4, 2010 at 7:56 am

Yeay the return of Oatgurt! Did you add some yogurt or lemon juice to your oats while they soaked?
I add a little kefir or yogurt and I get a more fermented taste :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 7:58 am

Melissa, Nope, but I will next time. Thanks for the tip.

eatmovelove March 4, 2010 at 8:26 am

Never heard of Oatgurt…cute name ;)

Kelly March 4, 2010 at 8:35 am

Awesome tip! I will have to try that.

Jenn March 4, 2010 at 9:20 am

In THEORY I believe in traditional food preparation but in REALITY I don’t have the time to prepare everything by fermenting or sprouting nor can I afford all the raw dairy products. Kinda of like Taco Bell in THEORY I say I will NEVER eat it but in REALITY make a run to the border a few times a year for those childhood memories!

Justine March 4, 2010 at 9:22 am

I still haven’t tried oatgurt yet! But I am a HUGE believer in overnight rye/wheat flakes with yogurt every morning. Speaking of, I only have a couple bites left. Aww.

Happy Thursday, Heather! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 4, 2010 at 9:35 am

this is really interesting…i’m gonna have to try it sometime! i would never have thought of fermenting oats but they look really good :) i usually just count on a healthy serving of yogurt for my good bacteria needs!

Tiffany P. March 4, 2010 at 9:49 am

I loved this post! Have you ever read Nourishing Traditions? There’s a lot of great recipes in that book!

I either drink Beet Kvass, Kombucha, or coconut water kefir everyday to get my good bacteria. I also try to eat raw fermented sauerkraut with 1-2 meals a day.

I believe you can make a weeks worth of soaked oats and keep it in the refrigerator. That way you don’t have to soak every night.

Great post!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 10:41 am

Tiffany, I have read Nourishing Traditions – good stuff, and thanks for the tip. Great idea to soak a few days worth of oats at once.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heathee March 4, 2010 at 10:51 am

I haven’t cooked steal cut oats in a long time because they take so long. I’ll have to try the soaking idea!

Dawn March 4, 2010 at 11:12 am

coconut almond butter!?! ooh. it sounds and looks
positively delicious!

i was thinking of adding some chopped almonds to
your coco/choco “bark”–or cd’s!

The Foodie Diaries March 4, 2010 at 11:45 am

Oooh I missed your oatgurt kick! but I’m glad you’re bringing it back. I never eat fermented food–but I recently read a lot of nutrition studies on it (for school) and I want to start! Will you be my fermentation coach? Aaaand does beer count?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Foodie Diaries, I love my fermented foods, but definitely not an expert. But how about kombucha instead of beer? ;)

eaternotarunner March 4, 2010 at 11:46 am

I recommend “Real Food” as well, a great read!

And I love the almond coco butter idea :-)

Tracey March 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I’ve never heard of this. It seems like a big process that I’m not sure if I would have the time for. But I’m interested and will be checking it out!

Thanks

Sarah Ikegami March 4, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Getting my good bacteria proved to be a little harder when I gave up dairy. This week I am drinking coconut milk kefir in my smoothies…I didn’t even know this stuff exists but I am glad it does! I also go for miso soup, yum!

Lindsay March 4, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Wow, thats impressive. I am a huge fan of fermented foods. But sadly, I am addicted to Kombucha and my wallet is not happy. At least but gut is though!
LC

Katie March 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I just got some of the plain coconut milk yogurt today…I admit to being skeptical.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Katie, I don’t like it by itself, but it’s great in recipes or stirred into oatmeal.

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness March 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm

This looks & sounds great! I’d heard of ‘oatgurt’ and the benefits of fermenting oats, but I haven’t had a chance to try it.. I don’t think my roommates would like the heater going in our little house :p Someday :)

Pure2Raw twins March 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Love the fermented oats idea :) You know we love anything fermented! LOL. Plain on having some coconut kefir today! Yum

Gina March 4, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I just started drinking kombucha…it made me feel a little buzzed! It’s a bit expensive, so I only get it once per week and eat yogurt on the other days.

ilanalala March 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm

So I just read this entry then I was on FaceBook and saw HEAB on my Facebook feed! So Delicious linked this post :)

I for sure have to try the coconut nut butter trick! I just bought coconut oil after seeing it on many blogs and then realized I have no idea what to do with it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 1:38 pm

ilanala, So cool about the link. Thanks for the heads up! :)

luckytastebuds March 4, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Oooh your fermented oats definitely sound interesting! Are they sour from the yogurt plus the fermentaiton process? It looks great, especially with the melted butta all over the top. GO Heather!!! For making your own and not spending extra moolah!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Luckytastebuds, The oats didn’t taste sour on their own, but the yogurt definitely added a little tang. :)

ChelseaB March 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Hey Heather,

I think I remember you mentioning that you switched to decaf coffee a while back. Any good decaf brands/flavors to recommend? I’m doing the decaf thing being pregnant, but have yet to find one that I really like :P .

Thanks!

Chelsea

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Chelsea, We have a Keurig single cup coffee maker , and I so I buy the decaf Green MountainK-cups from Bed, Bath, & Beyond. For a traditional coffee maker, I would recommend Caribou Coffee as they use an all natural decaffeination process. http://www.cariboucoffee.com/page/1/all-natural-decaf.jsp

kim March 4, 2010 at 1:45 pm

must be something in the air, i’ve been on a huge oatgurt kick too lately! your preparation looks great. I am working on making my own frozen oatgurt!!!! like frozen yogurt, but better. stay tuned to my blog for a post on that soon!

i like to soak nuts/seeds with my oats and blend it all together and eat it raw, so as to not cook the good bacteria to death. have you ever tried fermenting AFTER cooking? soak the oats, cook them, stir in a scoop of miso paste, then let that ferment for about 8 hours. SO GOOD

hooray for likeminded grain-eaters! love your blog. lots of fun.

-kim | http://www.affairsofliving.com

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Kim, No, I have never fermenting after cooking. I’ll have to try it…soon. :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I just finished an Attune probiotic bar for my snack! Yum!

Susan March 4, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Heather, you are so ingenious I love it! Who needs to buy the fancy stuff when you can make it yourself?

Evan Thomas March 4, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Rock on probiotics! Today, I’ve eaten a greek yogurt with breakfast, raw probiotic cheese and kombucha at lunch, and I’m eating frozen yogurt. God my gut is going to love me.

Gena March 4, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Awesomeness! Oatgurt is still on my ever growing to do list :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 4, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I love my probiotics and fermented foods! Way to ferment the oats with the heat dish! I do overnight soaked oats w/ banana and protein powder, Ive posted about it tons, but it’s in the fridge. I wonder if leaving it out would work. Part of me worries about food saftey issues…when does fermented become food borne illness? Just musing out loud here :) When I make my countertop kefir, that feels “safe” to me, but I dont know if I should tempt fate with oats and banana? In your case, you’re cooking it on the stove which would probably kill anything off anyway…sorry to ramble :)
I should just say great food Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I don’t know Averie, I’d be a little concerned with the banana/oats/protein powder mix formula. How about you just leave the oats out in some of your coconut milk kefir and then stir in the protein powder and banana when you’re ready to eat?

todayslady March 4, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I’ve never soaked grains before but I think I will now. Anything that makes food easier to digest is a plus! I get a lot of my good bacteria from yogurt :)

Holly March 4, 2010 at 4:49 pm

coconut almond butter? DONE AND DONE.

gah, i haven’t had my good bacteria today. must. get. on. that.

love ya lady!

Betherann March 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Should you cover the oats during the initial 24-28 hour soaking stage?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Betherann, Yes, with something breathable, like cheesecloth or a paper towel.

Betherann March 4, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Doh! I mean 24-48 hour soaking period. Regardless…covered or not? Can you email me (escagnel04 AT yahoo DOT com) or Twitter (@betherann) me?

Thank ye, madam!

Laura March 4, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Averie- I agree with Heather, try leaving out the banana and definitely the protein powder- bacteria (and fungi!) tend to multiple much more rapidly on protein media, (hence those round agar plates!) so its probably better to let the oats do their thing on their own?!

Glad oatgurt is back, reminds me of last summer ;) Have you ever tried to make your own fermented nut cheese? I’m a little reticent to…

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 6:43 pm
Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 4, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Oh oatgurt…how I miss thee…let me count the ways! I need some groats, dangit! I had pancakes and oatbran tonight and thought of you. So yummy!

EE March 4, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I’m wondering if that would help me, Heather. I have been in GI agony for months, and nothing I do seems to help (besides X-ing out dairy, but even then….). I don’t eat a lot of weird stuff, meaning foreign ingredients. Maybe my GI doc will help. If not, well, I know what to buy at Costco!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm

EE, Yes, yes, try fermented foods. So sorry about all your GI troubles, but I do believe that some good bacteria might help you. Do you take a probiotic?

kimberly guy mason March 4, 2010 at 7:53 pm

oh heather! how will i get my good bacteria? what are my other options? :) seriously, i’m curious! love you girl! kimberly

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Kimberly, Hi! So many options for good bacteria. First off, you can take a probiotic everyday (ask your nearest Whole Foods for a good one), eat yogurt, drink miso soup, drink Kombucha (a fermented tea also available at Whole Foods & other health food stores), eat fermented vegetables like kimchi or sauerkraut, drink kefir, a fermented milk drink that taste like yogurt. Lots of possibilities. :)

Nicole March 4, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Hey Heather–
I’m not sure if you answered this already but do you have to use the heat lamp? What if I don’t have anything like that, do I have to let it ferment for an extra day?
What other grains would this work with?
My I’m full of questions…I’m still trying to work through this belly problem and if this will help ease digestion then i’m all about trying it!
PS I’ve been eating my Greek yogurt daily and am considering getting some Coconut Kiefer since the regular kiefer didn’t work for me (it made me even more bloated and I suffered for DAYS afterward)
Oh and where can I find teff? Is that something I could find at Whole Foods? I’m going try looking tomorrow…

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 4, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Nicole, Nope, no heat lamp required. Just let your grains soak in a warm area, and you can soak/ferment any grains. That’s weird that Greek yogurt doesn’t bloat you, but dairy kefir does. I wonder why? Yes, try the coconut milk kefir. Hopefully, your belly will like that more. My Whole Foods only carries teff flour, but not the teff grains. Other bloggers/readers have been kind enough to send me some. Hope you find some – good stuff!

Jenn (j3nn.net) March 4, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I love soaking oats in yogurt overnight, I usually add in strawberries. It’s heavenly, especially with a nut butter companion. ;)

Jenn

EE March 4, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I don’t take a probiotic. I am one of those people who rarely sees a health care provider (which is silly since I did 1.5 yrs of med school!), but it’s gotten to the point of ridiculousness. I am willing to do just about anything — within reason. :)

Kimberly March 5, 2010 at 7:16 am

Hello my friend :) I had the best treat the other day! It was basically oatgurt minus the ‘gurt’. I soaked raw oat grouts and blended them but didn’t let it ferment like actual oatgurt. I blended mine with cherries and raw cocoa powder and a little stevia–OMG!!!! You know my love of cherries and chocolate 8) Can’t have it everyday(tummy), but I would if I could!! Oatgurt(or oat-’gurt’) is better than dessert to me!

Have a blessed day!
XOXO

Allie (Protein Girl) March 5, 2010 at 7:45 am

I think oatgurt cravings are a classic symptom of yoga dehydration?

Alina September 13, 2010 at 4:00 am

Hmm, wonder do you have to boil the oats after fermenting. the temperature will kill the good bacteria. is there any unwanted bacteria as well. i realize fermenting will reduce the carbs and sugars in the rice/oats and make them more digestible but if we leave them raw they’ll be also full of lactobacillicus. Any thoughts? please let me know because i am fermenting cooked basmati rice in yogurt and i wanna eat it without heating it first.

HEAB September 13, 2010 at 7:05 am

Alina,
I got the recipe for fermented oats from another blog, and although she cooked them, no, you don’t have to boil the oats. Whenever I make my oatgurt (http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/oatgurt/), I eat it raw without any problems. Hope you enjoy your rice! :)

{ 2 trackbacks }