Toast and Popsicles

by HEAB on March 5, 2010

Last week, I worked on a client who had a cold. Big mistake. If you are ever feeling under the weather, do not go see your massage therapist and act like you’re not really sick. Anyway, I felt the sore throat coming on when I woke up, and it only got worse throughout the day. I kept having to cough, but it hurt to cough. You know the feeling? Not pleasant, and it put me in a funk all day. Since I can’t see clients when I’m not feeling well, I basically laid around the house all day but did manage to get out in the sun for a little while to walk the pups.

Usually, as soon as I get sick, I ask CD to go to the store for sugar free popsicles, Diet Sprite, and an US Weekly. However, since I gave up stevia and all artificial sweeteners for Lent, there was no trip to the store, but hey CD, feel free to pick up that US Weekly for me. Thanks. :)

Many of you often tell me that you love how creative I am with my recipes. I’ll be honest, most of them don’t stem from creativity, but more out of pure desperation. Yesterday, my throat was killing me, and I was beyond desperate for something cold and soothing. So, I made my own popsicles with Vita Coco’s Acai Pomegranate water.

After pouring the box of coconut water in an ice-cube tray, I covered it with saran wrap and then stuck toothpicks into each individual cube. I ended up eating all 16 throughout the day. Vita Coco, you saved me! I just put another batch of Peach & Mango flavored cubes in the freezer. Can’t wait for them to be ready.

Another food I crave when I am sick is bread. I like to tell myself that my body is working hard to heal and needs some carbs. :)

Inspired by Susan’s bacon peanut butter (Susan, you have made men everywhere so happy), I had a bacon and almond butter quesadilla. Oh my, talk about a delicious combo…

In fact, it was so good that I had it again for dinner on some Ezekiel cinnamon raisin toast. The other slice received a pat of coconut butter.

Mmm, I love a good plate of toast every so often. Anyway, still feeling the funk today, but at least the sun is shining. I can’t see clients, and I’m going to try and make myself take it easy…not something I’m very good at doing. I hope all of you are healthy, something none of us should ever take for granted!

Happy Friday my friends. :)

Jenn March 5, 2010 at 8:29 am

So sorry you are not feeling well. Those popsicles look good. Wonder if my kids would eat them? Probably not if they knew they were healthy BUT if I told them they were chock full of stuff they shouldn’t eat they be sneaking them out of the freezer. (Sigh) Maybe I should try it!!

Melissa March 5, 2010 at 8:32 am

I just got over the flu and though its yucky this drink sped up my recover (at least I think it did) : Hot water, 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, 2 healthy sized cloves crushed garlic, 1 tsp (or 1/2 depending on your hot meter) cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp honey or agave
I drank it twice a day…
I hope you feel better!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2010 at 8:36 am

Thanks Melissa! I’ve heard that spicy foods help when you’re sick, and I might give this a try. CD has been avoiding getting really close to me, and if I drink this, I’m sure he’ll stay far far away. ;)

claire March 5, 2010 at 8:40 am

I hope you get better soon.I will say a lil prayer:-) cc

Sarah March 5, 2010 at 9:03 am

Aww, I hope you feel better sooooon! When my throat hurts, I chug OJ since I find it more soothing than water. I also love to curl up on the couch and watch trashy movies all day (especially Lifetime). Toast is another perfect sick comfort food and crackers.

Those Popsicles look amazingly yummy too!! You can always puree fresh or frozen fruit and freeze those tool! Or a have a massive smoothie :)

Chocolate Covered Katie March 5, 2010 at 9:14 am

Oh you cracked me up with your comment on my blog today. I’m packing my bags… just put the coconut butter next to the broccoli and we won’t have to worry about CD taking it ;)

Feel better :( !!

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 5, 2010 at 9:14 am

that’s so great that you made your own Popsicles! i remember we used to have a special little gadget we could freeze juices in to make our own and they were always SO GOOD! :)

Christina (in Ohio) March 5, 2010 at 9:21 am

Oh HEAB, I’m so sorry you aren’t feeling well!! I found an egg drop soup recipe last week that you might like (I crave egg drop soup when I have a sore throat) http://www.foodrenegade.com/egg-drop-soup/

Feel better soon sweetie!!!
xo
Christina J.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2010 at 9:22 am

Thanks Christina!

Jaya March 5, 2010 at 9:26 am

Hi Heather.. sorry to hear that you and your client are both a little under the weather. My comfort food when I get sick is definitely ginger tea. I just pour water over some chunks of ginger and drink. In India, we usually minimize spice around illness. Just rice, daal (lentils), yogurt and ghee (and turmeric, of course), but I think that for some people, spice really helps. It’s just about what makes you feel better, so go with your gut.
I am seeing my massage therapist next week, but I will remember to be more considerate the next time I feel a bit down and have a close-contact appointment of some kind!
Feel better soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2010 at 9:30 am

Thanks Jaya. :)

Justine March 5, 2010 at 9:32 am

Finally! I always got the MOST strange looks when informing people about the heaven that is PB&Bacon.

I hope you get better soon and are able to enjoy your weekend. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet March 5, 2010 at 9:41 am

Feel better girl!! :)

That homemade popsicle idea is great, especially with the ingredients you used. Will totally be using that next time!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 5, 2010 at 9:43 am

Oh, I hope you feel better soon! I had a horrible throat funk a couple of weeks ago that I then shared with my husband (I think our oldest son was the originator in the house) that left me wanting nothing but fresh fruit and oatmeal. I always crave grapes when my throat hurts, especially frozen grapes! My youngest son always asks for gold fish and gaterade when he is sick because the doctor told him one time that was the best thing for him…I guess because the salty encourages hydration or she has stock in both of those things. Anyway, get well soon!

balancejoyanddelicias March 5, 2010 at 9:44 am

I had 2 toasts for breakkie today! It’s good really, with a lot of AB. :D
feel better soon dear!

EE March 5, 2010 at 9:45 am

You and TCL are big toast fans. That’s part of most of his dinners.

I hope you feel better ASAP!

Evan Thomas March 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

Bacon peanut butter sounds SO GOOD right now. Darn you, Friday during Lent

Amy @ Second City Randomness March 5, 2010 at 9:49 am

I would have never thought to combine bacon and peanut butter. I think you just opened my eyes to a whole new world. And made me very very happy…. :)

ilanalala March 5, 2010 at 9:52 am

Heatherrrrr! You’re a genius. I just came down with a nasty head cold/sinus infection thingamajig and literally all I want is toast and popsicles. I bought some sugar-loaded ones at the drugstore last night but this looks much better!

The Brunette March 5, 2010 at 10:01 am

Feel better! The coconut water popsicles definitely sound like a worthy alternative :)

Angie March 5, 2010 at 10:03 am

Mmmmm. That makes me want toast. And coconut butter.

Feel better!

Ameena March 5, 2010 at 10:03 am

I hope you feel better soon! US Weekly can pretty much cure any illness. :)

Shelly March 5, 2010 at 10:11 am

I was going to suggest watering down some white grape peach juice and making popsicles with that. I love that stuff- but it is so sweet it has to be cut with sprite or sparkling water or something. :)

Susan March 5, 2010 at 10:14 am

Droooool to the bacon on the toast with almond butter!!!! I don’t know why people get so weirded out by the idea of bacon peanut butter… they’re the two ingredients that can make anything taste delicious ;) Feel better HEABkins!

jenny March 5, 2010 at 10:29 am

What a great Lent replacement idea! Feel better:)

eaternotarunner March 5, 2010 at 10:30 am

Hope you feel better soon! The almond butter + Bacon combo sounds pretty damn amazing :-)

todayslady March 5, 2010 at 10:34 am

Awww feel better! I want to try coconut butter, it sounds so goooood!!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) March 5, 2010 at 10:44 am

I admire you for sticking with your Lent commitment, I would definitely be reaching for the diet Sprite too! Hope you feel better soon :)

Christie @ Honoring Health March 5, 2010 at 10:46 am

Feel better soon!

Bacon and nut butter sounds intriguing.

Megan March 5, 2010 at 10:52 am

We must be thinking the same. I have been eating almond butter and bacon toast for about two weeks straight now. I can’t get enough. It is delicious and totally holds me over for hours! I often have to go about 5 hours between meals and this combo does the trick. It is awesome and there is something about that combo. It is yum-yum.

Kelly March 5, 2010 at 11:06 am

Oh no…feel better soon! That is no fun! I will be honest that I haven’t been brave enough to try the bacon/pb combination but I have done chocolate covered bacon…haha…baby steps! :)

Becky @ flybynyght March 5, 2010 at 11:18 am

For some reason when I’m sick, all I want is mashed potatoes with lots of garlic and butter!!! Mmmmm…

jacobc March 5, 2010 at 11:31 am

eck, sounds like what i had last weekend, everyone at the office has had it now, and i was the last one to finally catch it.
Didn’t run for 5 days.. booo! But i did have a good excuse to load up on ice cream!

I don’t know if you know andy moss, he swears by bacon dipped in chocolate! Something doesn’t seem appetising about that.

eatmovelove March 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

Feel better soon. Are you a hot tea drinker?…or maybe inhale it? ;) I too am in love with that combo of toast and bacon.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2010 at 11:41 am

EatMoveLove, Yep, huge fan of hot tea. Been downing my Trader Joe’s peppermint and Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger. :)

Katie March 5, 2010 at 11:44 am

I crave buttered toast with cinnamon and sugar whenever I am sick. And flat ginger ale. I think that’s what my mom used to give me. I think there is something about the flat soda soothing your throat, and ginger soothing your stomach.

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini March 5, 2010 at 11:57 am

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Devon @ FastFoodieCooks March 5, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I crave macaroni and cheese when I am sick. It’s funny because dairy isn’t so awesome when you are congested, but nothing sounds good except mac and cheese the way my mom use to make it. That and gingerale. Too bad I don’t drink soda anymore. I am sick right now too and feel your pain! Hope you feel better soon.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm

You too Devon. :)

Lindsay March 5, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Oh ya, bacon and nut butter is awesome. I’ve done it with canadian bacon too. YUM YUM! Feel better soon!

Ashlei March 5, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Oh no HEABs! Feel better! What an awesome use of the Vita Coco water :) Definitely hope it helped!!

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) March 5, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I hope you feel better HEABs!! The Popsicle look soo comforting. I love sucking on frozen bananas when I’m sick, (THAT IS NOT DIRTY) it makes my throat feel so much better!
Now get some rest and next time the sick guy comes for a massage give him a really painful one. ;-)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 5, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Feel better, HEAB! I’ve rediscovered the joy of toast lately, and I can’t figure out why it’s so damn good! I guess a lot depends on the bread, but yeah toast was my dinner last night too, and I made an olive tapenade to spread on it. AMAZING.

The Foodie Diaries March 5, 2010 at 2:00 pm

hope you feel better soon! toast is the best sick food–especially when you get creative

Kimberly March 5, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Almond butter and bacon? Now that’s a new one:) I think our brains are on the same track lately–I had toast today(which is a rare occasion)!

Hope you feel better soon and I agree-we should never take it for granted when we are feeling good :)

Carbzilla March 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Feel better HEABS – I use a formula similar to Melissa’s. It smells awful but tastes great (mine has honey). I’ll try to remember to scan it to you. Out here in the PNW, we can’t figure out if it’s colds or allergies since everything’s bloomed so early. I took a Claritin just in case, but the throat thing has gone around out here.

Melissa S. March 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm

hahaha…bacon and ab. i totally need to make that for my brothers. they would LOVE IT.

and those pops? totally need those for my throat too. yuckers.

Lauren March 5, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Go to your closest health food store and pick up oil of oregano. You’ll be cured by tomorrow! TRUST ME!!! It is an anti-viral, anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal miracle!! And all natural!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Lauren, I have some in my cabinet but always forget to take it. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 5, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Bacon and AB? How interesting! A combo I will definitely have to try! I love bacon, and I love AB! Sweet & Salty is the best combo, IMO =D

xo
K

Marissa March 5, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I hope you feel better soon! When I feel a cold coming on I start to consume as much garlic as I can stand. I roast it and pop whole cloves into my mouth like horse pills. I also switch to foods that will make my body more alkaline, i.e. fruits and veggies. I also think that throat coat tea is a life saver! I keep a box on hand at all times. Oh and black elderberry is apparently a miracle supplement when you are getting sick.

Samantha March 5, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Feel better HEABS!

Jenny R. March 5, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Feel better Heather! I’m sending some positive vibes your way! xox

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Thanks Jenny R!

Gabriela (froyolover) March 5, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I hope you get better soon!
But, I have to tell you – you´re “sick eats” are the best!
Haha ;)
Have a great day, Heather!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

Ashley March 5, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Sure fire sore throat cure. Works like a charm EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Apple Cider Vinegar
Water

Equal portions and gargle. Twice a day.

Tastes awful but works!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Roger that Ashley. Thx.

Lara (Thinspired) March 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Oh Heabie, feel better soon! I am so impressed that you are still eating so well when you’re sick. At the first sign of a sniffle I head for the cereal box ;)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 6, 2010 at 12:01 am

Feel better Heabie!

That delish concoction reminded me of that delish chocolate bacon bar you sent me! Num. I’m still savoring it one bite at a time. :-)

Justine March 6, 2010 at 8:48 am

Hope you feel better HEABS!!! I love you!

~Justine

Becca March 6, 2010 at 10:08 am

Bacon and almond butter? Feel better soon, please!
No…I’m just kidding. I love that you eat whatever you want.

But I do hope you feel better soon!

Denise March 7, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Hope you’re feeling better. I’ve been sick since Wednesday and now Tom is sick, too. Augh!

{ 1 trackback }