Garlic Breath

by HEAB on March 8, 2010

Yesterday, after my delicious pizza pancakes I quickly deteriorated into a stuffy feverish teary-eyed lump in my bed. Oh my gosh, I have not felt that awful in years. I didn’t eat much the rest of the day, and after sweet CD was kind enough to brave Trader Joe’s on a Sunday afternoon, I had all the ingredients to make Tiffany’s Immunity Builder Drink. Into the Vita-Mix went 2 quarts of water, juice from 10 lemons, 10 cloves of garlic. 1/4 cup raw honey, 1/2 a peeled onion, 1 tsp ginger, and 1 tsp cayenne pepper. I’ve been drinking 12 ounces every 3 to 4 hours. My breath must be awful…good thing I can’t smell anything. :) I did wake up this morning with no fever. Still weak but hopefully on the mend. Thank you Tiffany!

Me and my first 12 ounces…

No use in asking me how it tastes. I’m sure it’s disgusting, but for all I know, I could be drinking a chocolate milkshake. I can’t taste a thing.

Back in the day when I used to get sick, I exercised no matter what. I can remember one day when I had a horrible sinus infection, but I went for a 6 mile run anyway…in the 90 degree heat. It was awful. I didn’t feel good enough to go into work, but I made myself run anyway. I remember thinking maybe I have a problem with exercise addiction. Well, I definitely got over that (thank you yoga). I didn’t even get out to walk the dogs yesterday and have no plans to do much today either. If your body needs rest…let it rest my friends!

On that note, I’ll leave you with some yummy food I ate before the downward spiral into the depths of snot hell began…

That was a chipotle almond butter filled omelet with a side of bacon. I’m down to the last of my chipotle nuts, and my Sam’s no longer sells them. So sad. :(

Next up, we have a bacon, tahini, and raw honey filled quesadilla. Just a drizzle of honey adds so much sweet, and this was a delicious combo!

And last but not least, one of the best Oats In A Jar experiences I’ve had in a while…

Plain oat bran with homemade coconut milk kefir and cinnamon in the Artisana coconut butter jar. There were at least 3 spoonfuls of coconut butter left in the bottom, and the warm oat bran made it all ooey-gooey melted. Perfect!

OK, off to go blow my nose. Hope everyone has a good Monday!

Jessica @ How Sweet March 8, 2010 at 7:53 am

I think I caught your sickness through the blog! I can’t taste a darn thing. I don’t know if I have it in me to drink that immunity concoction, though. Yikes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2010 at 8:26 am

Sorry about that Jessica. Hope you feel better soon!

kbwood March 8, 2010 at 7:54 am

WOW your OIAJ is the bomb dot com!! best one ever!

Little Bookworm March 8, 2010 at 8:02 am

Hope you feel better soon Heather! :)

eatmovelove March 8, 2010 at 8:15 am

Gosh still sick? Hope your feeling better soon – how was the “Red Carpet”?
I should try this OIAJ…I usually just completely empty the jar before that happens…

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2010 at 8:25 am

eatmovelove, Red carpet was entertaining. I enjoyed every minute of it, but then fell asleep after the first 2 acceptance speeches.

fartygirl March 8, 2010 at 8:17 am

Raw garlic is a great go-to food for a cold! Mayan hot chocolate is very cleansing too. I throw cardamom, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper into cocoa, almond milk and honey. It’s very soothing and clears your head. :)

Glad to hear you are not exercising!!! Get better, dammit. :)

pippapatchwork March 8, 2010 at 8:18 am

That sounds like sucha good quesadilla! Raw honey and tahini: very interesting.

I hope you feel better soon!

Melissa March 8, 2010 at 9:08 am

Awesome Immunity Builder drink! I wonder if I could get my 7 yr old to drink it?
Are you using a netti-pot?
I gotta try that bacon honey quesadilla!
Feel better soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2010 at 9:40 am

Melissa, No, I almost went out and bought a netti-pot yesterday, but I just couldn’t get out of bed. Feeling less congested today. That Immunity Builder drink is good stuff…well, not taste-wise. Not sure if the 7 year old would choke it down.

glidingcalm March 8, 2010 at 9:15 am

I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER!!!!!!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 8, 2010 at 9:18 am

Hopefully yesterday was the worst for you! It sounds awful! I am with you on the exercising things when you are sick. I think you should only do what your body feels like. It I just have a cold, I do like to get my endorphins going…I think it helps. However, if it is worse…your body needs the rest. Feel better soon!

Betherann March 8, 2010 at 9:18 am

Wow that quesadilla is mind-blowing. I don’t even like tahini, but now I want to try a BTH (bacon tahini honey) quesadilla!

Feel better!

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 8, 2010 at 9:31 am

oh, i hope you feel better soon! and i’m glad you can’t taste anything, that drink sounds kinda iffy :/ i bet it’s going to help a lot though…take care of yourself!

balancejoyanddelicias March 8, 2010 at 9:31 am

hugs Heather! hope it was just of being sick and nothing else that made you feel bad. Feel better soon! :)

Kimberly March 8, 2010 at 9:33 am

Hmmm…I wonder if I could disguise that drink somehow and get Bella to drink it…doubtful. She came home with a wonderful phlem cough which throw in her asthma= no date night for us on Sat :( I love, love, love when parents dope their kids up on cold meds, send to school and get everyone else sick, grrrrr. So looks like we are off to the chiropractor later and possibly the doctor for some meds to protect her tiny lungs. I have been hitting her ( and us up) with elderberry, homeopathic anti-flu meds, my own “super juice” that is kid friendly, and of course nebulizer treatments every 4 hrs. No sleep for this mamma!

I hit my exercise wall yesterday morning. Did a fast 10 mile run Sat, which was not fun at all. My body was just telling me the whole time ” I am tired and this sucks!”. Sunday, after dealing with Miss Bella coughing all night, I decided to do something I have not done in way too long, rest! I passed out cold from 10:30 am – 2pm, do you think my body was telling me something? Still got another 10 hrs of sleep last night and I am still tired. I like you, crave carbs all day when I am fighting something, and gluten free carbs were on my menu all day yesterday as well. So today, I am going to see how I feel once I get moving. The last thing I need is to get so worn down, I get sick next! Feel better soon! You need to be better for your upcoming trip!
:) K

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2010 at 9:41 am

Kimberly, Glad you rested, and I hope Bella is feeling better!

Justine March 8, 2010 at 9:47 am

I hope you get better soon! I was a little under the weather this weekend too, but still was able to work out. It sounds like the drink is working for you.
Have a good (restful) day! :)

Lara (Thinspired) March 8, 2010 at 10:01 am

OH Heabie, I’m so sorry to read this :( I hope that add garlic elixer has you feeling better in no time.
Silly question…what is the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter? :/

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2010 at 10:09 am

Lara, The coconut butter is is whole coconut meat ground into a creamy butter. It would be like almond oil vs. almond butter. Make sense? The coconut butter is sweeter and oh so addictive!

Erica March 8, 2010 at 10:26 am

ah! You poor thing! I hope you are 100% by the end of today! You sure manage to still look adorable when you’re sick!!!!!!! I usually look like poo haha.

plamarie March 8, 2010 at 10:28 am

So sorry to hear you are feeling so bad! That is an awesome immunity drink that Tiffany recommended! That will really help. Definately give your body rest for now! :) Tahini, honey, and bacon….oh YES! Adding to my list of must trys!! (thanks)
Feel better soon!

Danielle March 8, 2010 at 10:36 am

That immunity drink sounds intense (10 cloves of raw garlic?!) I hope you feel better soon :)

I think running helps boost your immunity to an extent- i.e. if you have an infection, you should rest!

Estela @ Weekly Bite March 8, 2010 at 10:55 am

Whoa… I can’t imagine what 10 cloves of garlic tastes like.

I hope you feel better soon!!

Susan March 8, 2010 at 11:08 am

I hope you feel better girlie! Kudos to you for still truckin – you are so bossy.

Ameena March 8, 2010 at 11:19 am

I can so relate to what you wrote about running when sick! I had a total exercise addiction and would exercise regardless of how sick I was. Luckily I woke up and realized I was insane for doing what I was doing and I am definitely getting better!!

I hope you feel better today!

Lindsay March 8, 2010 at 11:35 am

Oh no, feel better! I felt like poo one day and decided to drink 3 kombucha’s (not in one sitting). I think my whole body was detoxed, haha. It did the trick but my wallet paid for it.
LC

Carbzilla March 8, 2010 at 11:40 am

You’re soooo welcome for the recipe. I totally forgot to recommend Neti pot – it saved me when I got that sinus thing last Feb.

I can say that the drink smells AWFUL (so HEABS must be really sick if she can’t smell it) but it actually tastes pretty good. Maybe I’ve made it with less garlic but you mostly taste lemon, honey and ginger. I’ve used it as a preventative but not a cure.

Good job taking care of yourself! I’m sure you’ll be back to your joyous self in no time.

(You were in my dream this morning – you were selling taffy at the Nashville Farmers’ Market, and I stopped by to visit you. Odd.)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2010 at 11:43 am

Carbzilla, Taffy? Really? Did I have one of those taffy pulling machines set up…I used to love to watch those things in the candy store windows. :)

theprocessofhealing March 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Your OIAJ…OMG. Best. Idea. EVER!

Lola March 8, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Feel better love love. I feel for you!!!!! Xoxoxo

fartygirl March 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm

forgot to say how much i like the pic of you drinking Carbzy’s drink!

Ana March 8, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Sorry you have been that sick, hope you are feeling better today Heather!
The omelet looks so good and I love the idea of the coconut butter jar, now I know what I will do with mine when it comes close to the end!
I love oats in almond butter jar but haven’t thought about using the coconut butter one!! although that jar is a little smaller, I will have to put my oats in there in two installments! :o )

JillyB March 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Feel better soon, dear Heather!

Katie March 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Sorry you’re still sick. That stinks. On the brightside – you get to be waited on by CD! Take advantage of that while you can, right?

Katie March 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Booo! Sorry about the sick – that’s never ever fun.

Your quesadilla looks divine, and I just happen to have all of those ingredients oh hand. I think I just discovered dinner. :-) Feel better soon!

Abby March 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I hope you feel better, Heather!!! I know I’ve been fighting a cold and it stinks, but so far I’ve kept the fever at bay. Hopefully I don’t get to the point where I have to drink that stuff :(

skinnyrunner March 8, 2010 at 1:22 pm

hope you start to feel better soon!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Oh yeah girl, I will have the best oats in a jar when I get down to the dregs of the beloved coconut butter. But, on the other hand, I hope that time never comes! Hehehe…

charlotte March 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm

So the rejuvenating juice recipe is the same as the Master Cleanse drink except with honey instead of maple syrup? Glad it went down easy! I hope you feel better ASAP! Not working out when I’m sicking is still something I really struggle with. I do rest now but I still feel guilty about it all day;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Charlotte, Yeah, but I didn’t think the Master Cleanse formula contained garlic. Ugh, I could not imagine drinking nothing but that for 10 days straight. Stinky stinky!

Kristen March 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Heather-
Two things my mama and I swear by when everyone is sick:
1) garlic broth made with several cloves of garlic and the broth of your choice. simmer for 10 minutes. consume
2) hot shower/bath. hot enough that you almost can’t stand it. get out, dry off. bundle into flannel jammies or, if you are like me, footie jammies! put on a hat and go to bed. you’ll be drenched and stinky in the morning, but most likely well. (i always am!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Thanks Kristen!

Kelly March 8, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Feel better Heather!!! :) Your eats looks fabulous though…as always!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) March 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Ugh, just the idea of running with a sinus infection makes me wince in nasally pain. Glad to hear you’re letting your body rest when it needs it most. Sometimes, if it’s a minor cold, a little exercise can help you feel better. However, when you’re dealign with fevers and aches…it’s time to take a break. Get well soon, lady!

Your coconut oats in a jar sound so creamy and delicious. Makes me anxious to finish up my jar of the wonderstuff…

Annie@stronghealthyfit March 8, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I’m sick today too, and I still exercised. (I’m not bragging about that!). I debated all night last night and all this morning whether or not I should do it, but I didn’t have a fever so I went to the gym. It actually made me feel a LOT better. I think it just depends on how sick you feel and you’re right, sometimes the best thing is to let your body rest. It’s so good to learn how to listen to your body, right?
You immunity concoction sounds pretty badass :-) Hope you feel better!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 8, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Well, at least you don’t have to worry about vampires.

Gabriela (froyolover) March 8, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I hope you get well soon, Heather! :P
Have an amazing Tuesday, girl!
Brazilian XOXO┬┤s,
Gabriela

Melissa S. March 8, 2010 at 8:31 pm

i didn’t get to comment but your pizza pancakes look freak’n awesome. i cannot fathom how awesome they tasted.

i hope you feel better soon too. sending you healing vibes.

oh, and great job w/ the not running. i finally feel ready to get back out there after being sick, but my nose is still a bit clogged. ugg.

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl March 8, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I hope you’re well soon, Heather!

Those oats in a jar look awesome!!

Hugs,
Michele

katyainsf March 8, 2010 at 9:07 pm

ahh I’m so excited to have stumbled on your site! Love itt! And I have yet to try those OIAJ that everyone raves about! Oh and I love Kefir – we drank it all the time in Kiev! Check my blog out if you have the time hun! And you know I’ll be adding you to my G-reader asap! :-D
XOX

Pure2raw twins March 8, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Hope you feel better…garlic is a powerful ingredient!! Love the coconut kefir action in the jar!

Jessica @ Fit & Clean March 8, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Geez. I hope you feel better soon. It’s no fun being sick :( When I get sick, I take loads of zinc. Your concoction looked…interesting. But like you said, you couldn’t taste it, and I’m thinking that’s probably a good thing!!! LOL!

Get to feeling better soon! Oh, and the oats in a jar…to DIE for…never thought to use the coconut butter jar. Uh! (mental head slap here). :D

maggie March 8, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I have to say that your last breakfast sold me on savory! I’m going to trade my sweet pancakes for something pizza like for sure this week! Feel better Heather…although I’m not sure I’d have garlic in the morning personally :)

Maggie

Kyla March 8, 2010 at 11:05 pm

So sad to hear you’re still not feeling well!! :(
Oats in a jar always make everything, temporarily, better.
Thank you again for all of your Nashville recommendations, I had a great time!
Plus I highly recommend The Wild Cow if you haven’t already been there.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 7:02 am

Kyla, I’m so glad you had a good time in Nashville, and I’m still sad I missed you! Yes, the Wild Cow…I’ve only been once. Definitely need to go back!

Kim March 8, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Hope you are feeling better! Keep an eye on that cold. Bella has pneumonia! My “mom” instinct told me something was just not right. I took her in to the dr just to get her more asthma meds, and the dr said he did not like the sound of her cough…so now we have 10 days of antibiotics, yuck! So take care of yourself HEAB :) I will need that lunch date in April!

Miz March 9, 2010 at 5:20 am

hope you are feeling far better now.
Thanks again for all your encouragement. I did it. I didnt break myself. Now I decide if Ill ever do it again :)

Jan March 9, 2010 at 7:51 am

I am now on day 6 of what you have, Heather. I am finally thinking that I am on the mend. I’m a teacher and haven’t been this sick, or missed this much school, since my first year when your body has to get used to being about all those “kid germs.” I went to the doctor yesterday to make sure that I didn’t have a sinus infection because I continued to have a headache. She said I had a cold that has systemically attacked my entire immune system and that was likely brought on by stress. Duh! She’s right….I had been working wicked long hours! I am turning over a new leaf! Anyway, here’s what helped me more than a nettie pot. I boiled water in a large pan on the stove and added a bunch of peppermint oil drops, turned off the flame and breathed in the vapors. I also took a washcloth and rinsed it in hot water and added the drops to that and sniffed and breathed that in through my nose and mouth and did that several times a day. I also used saline spray several times a day in my nose. You can make your own….but I just used a bottle from the drugstore. These two things really helped with the congestion! I was just left with exhaustion, headache, and red and watery eyes that would scare a small child! My husband MADE me take a nap yesterday and I slept for 3 1/2 hours! You need more rest than you can imagine to beat this wicked thing! Sending up a prayer for healing for you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 7:57 am

Thanks so much Jan. The peppermint oil is a great idea, and I have some on hand. I also started using a saline nasal flush yesterday. Oh my gosh, it saved me! That and the fact that I was in bed by 8 PM last night. I’ve been stressed out as well…time to slow down! Glad to hear you’re feeling better. Take it easy – I will too. :)

Denise March 9, 2010 at 9:06 am

I feel for you! I can’t taste anything eiher and went to bed around 7:00 pm. This is the sickest I’ve been in a long time. More fruits and veggies!

Lori March 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm

UG. I’m sick too! No fun at all! I’ve been juicing like crazy trying to feel better… maybe I’ll try Tiffany’s remedy… sounds… um… delicious…

Your omelet sounds great though! Wish I could taste so I could make that. Sadly, this cold is taking away from the delight of foods.
Feel better!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm

You too Lori. Try the garlic drink. It really did help. Still congested but feeling much better. Take care and get lots of rest!

{ 2 trackbacks }