Homemade Coconut Butter

by HEAB on March 9, 2010

Normally on Tuesdays, I post my Green Smoothie Monday eats with you, but today, I have much more exciting news to share…

CD has been loving on the Artisana coconut butter…a lot, and decided that we should try making our own. He googled a few recipes online and told me we just needed some dehydrated coconut. CD, we have dehydrated coconut in the cabinet, but it will never work were the words out of my mouth. Once again, he was right. I was wrong, but in this situation, I’m quite alright with that. :)

We used about 11 ounces of this unsweetened finely shredded dehydrated coconut from Whole Foods…

We poured the coconut in the food processor. (Everyone always asks what kind of food processor I own. Honestly, I have no idea since it was a gift from a friend who imports prototype appliances. However, I hear both Cuisinart and KitchenAid make good models.)

We did not add anything else. I simply turned the processor on and let it run for about 10 to 12 minutes…

OMG CD, I think it’s working…

And there ya have it folks, homemade coconut butter. Again, we added nothing to it, and I didn’t even have to scrape down the sides. Just like homemade nut butters, the whole process just takes a little time and patience.

Our finished product…

And just like Artisana’s coconut butter, ours solidified after a few hours at room temperature…

I told you my husband was a genius. :) He just saved all of us about $8 a jar! For lunch today, I’m going to do a side-by-side taste test of our homemade version compared to my beloved Artisana. Mmmm, I can’t wait.

Thanks for all your well wishes. I really do think the Immunity Builder drink helped. Feeling so much better, but still going to take it easy today.

See you tomorrow with my taste test results!

jenny (green food diaries) March 9, 2010 at 7:58 am

holy shiet! i’m doing this as soon as i have some time. CD, you are a genius!!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet March 9, 2010 at 8:02 am

You are brilliant! Trying this when I get home. YUM!

jennincat March 9, 2010 at 8:03 am

Heather, This is AWESOME!

“but it will never work were the words out of my mouth. Once again, he was right. I was wrong, but in this situation, I’m quite alright with that.” Ha ha!!! That’s funny.

I have a really old Cuisinart food processor and it works beautifully.

Scorpio Woman March 9, 2010 at 8:09 am

I’ll have to try this recipe. I love anything coconut. Thanks Heather :)

Susan March 9, 2010 at 8:12 am

Omg. SHUT UP. I can’t even find coconut butter here, so this just made my day. I will forever be in debt to you and CD!!!

KL March 9, 2010 at 8:14 am

OMG!! I have to try this…I just spent $10 on the Artisana one…And it have unsweet’d in my cabinet that I do (did) not know what to do with..Now I know. Do you think this wd work with a VitaMix?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 8:16 am

KL, Not sure if the coconut butter will work in the Vita-Mix. Let me know if you try.

Lea Ann September 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Hello Heather, I’ve made coconut butter in my Vitamix and it is wonderful. I use about 4 cups of the unsweetened coconut flakes and it reduces down to about 2 cups of coconut butter (after blending). Use your tamper liberally until it is all flowing through the blades. It only takes 30 seconds to a minute start to finish! It is best to do at least 4 cups of the flakes, because you don’t want a volume that is too small to flow freely through the blades – get too little, and you will get air pockets forming repeatedly and you will have to use your tamper repeatedly – it will never “flow” through the blades with any amount much less than a 2 cup final product level. :-)

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Lea Ann,
Really, that fast? Good to know as it can take up to 15 minutes in the food processor! 4 cups – got it. I will try this soon – thanks!

Lea Ann September 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I am eager to hear how it goes for you! I found your blog shortly after I bought my first jar of Artisana’s Coconut Butter at a WFM for $13! I wanted to see how it was made, and look for a home made recipe. Your article was the first link in Google… When I saw that you used your food processor I figured that I could do it in the Vitamix, since I make nut butters in it. I ran to my local health food store and bought 12 little bags of unsweetened coconut flakes. First batch (2 bags) came out awesome and almost filled the same jar the Artisana’s came in (and the 2 bags only cost $2.50!) Then I bought some coconuts, shredded the meat, dehydrated it and made another batch from my own coconut. It was even better (if that is possible! :-) I love to add stevia powder and raw cocoa powder to make my own choco-coconut bliss! Oh, and after making coconut butter in the Vitamix, I added some fresh pineapple, some ice cubes, and a big hand full of spinach to make a “GreenYaColada” Green Smoothie!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 8:17 am

KL, Just thinking…it will probably work in the Vita-Mix, but you might have to add a little coconut oil.

Melissa March 9, 2010 at 8:14 am

Here in Virginia I pay 12 dollars a jar, yep ridonculous!!! So…WOW WOW WOW!!!!

Jaya March 9, 2010 at 8:17 am

Hey you. I’m so glad to hear that you’re feeling better! This looks fantastic. I can’t wait to try it out. I love Artisana products, but I think they are (to be pretty honest) a bit inflated in price. Another reason why homemade is always best!

Sarah March 9, 2010 at 8:19 am

Wow, this is genius… I can’t wait to hear the results of your taste test because that would save me A LOT of money. :)

Stella March 9, 2010 at 8:32 am

Oh. My. God.

I need to go home right now and try this!! I can’t get Artisana over here and have been desparate for some coconut butter. I had wondered about making my own but figured it wouldn’t be possible. Your husband is a genius!

Jordan March 9, 2010 at 8:41 am

Ah so it is the same as the Let’s Do Organic Creamed Coconut…sweet! This looks great, very cool that you and CD like to experiment together :)

Nolita Morgan March 9, 2010 at 8:51 am

Yum! I am obsessed with coconut and have to order my Coconut butter online. Good to know that I can make my own very easily. Funny about your food processor. My MIL gave me her old one and I don’t know the brand on it either but it works! Thanks for sharing and I hope you feel better today. I hear that strep and the stomach virus are going around big time and hope you are spared from either of those maladies….

fartygirl March 9, 2010 at 8:55 am

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

gina (fitnessista) March 9, 2010 at 9:08 am

christian dior is a genius. i almost never buy coconut butter because the price here is outta control ($15 a jar). i’ll be making some asap
hope you’re having a wonderful day!
xoxo

Heather March 9, 2010 at 9:17 am

Frugal,easy,homemade, practical,and healthy. PERFECTION!
Also,it complements my coconut obsession as of late.
I dreamt about coconut chocolate last night!

strawberrysuitcase March 9, 2010 at 9:17 am

what a great idea! you are so inventive.

Evan Thomas March 9, 2010 at 9:30 am

OMG this is awesome! You’re saving me major money. I also like the coconut creme concentrate from trop traditions but that’s like oil + butter

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 9, 2010 at 9:33 am

a-MAY-zing :) i really need to try that…i haven’t been able to justify the $$$ it takes to buy coconut butter, but now i’ll be able to try it on the cheap!!! three cheers for HEAB :)

Marina March 9, 2010 at 9:34 am

You made my day!! I can’t wait to make this, amazing!
Coconut butter can’t be found over here, but that won’t stop me from eating it :D

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 9, 2010 at 9:51 am

I must agree with everyone else! This is brilliance! WA HOOOOOO!!
I can’t wait to try. I’m ‘sure stores all over will be out of coconut today! haha

Jo March 9, 2010 at 9:52 am

Most Dehydrated coconut seems to have sulphides in it… did you use one that was free? Does it matter? Help!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 10:23 am

Jo, Yes, I used unsulphured dried coconut from Whole Foods. They sell it in their bulk bin sections and in the baking aisle.

kyko March 9, 2010 at 9:58 am

OMG OMG OMG OMG!

OK, I’ll admit, I tried to do this myself a few months back. I should probably write a WHOLE blog post about it but I didn’t take pictures and that would do the story more justice.
I figured that I should start with a WHOLE coconut, 2, actually, crack them drain them, scrape all the meat out of them and THEN blend it, because fresh is better right? WRONG.
UGHH the moisture alone would have killed it, but it just wouldn’t blend to a creamy consistancy and I was left with a huge tupperwear of failed and not-tasty coconut playdough. It ended up molding in my fridge, and I didn’t want to have the smell in the trash, so I set it in the sink….and I procrastinate A LOT, so it just sat there for months. Finally I just threw out the whole tupperwear – eco friendly be damned!

Kristy Blake March 9, 2010 at 9:58 am

I have a VitaMix and a giant Cuisinart food processor, but I’m always afraid to leave them running that long. I’ve never made my own nut butters or anything because I’m afraid I’ll break my precious machines! They really don’t overheat when you run them that long??

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 10:31 am

Kristy, Your Vita will automatically shut itself off before it overheats, and then you just have to let it cool down before using it again. I’ve never burned out the motor in my food processor, and I use it all the time for nut butters. Just turn it off for a while if it starts to smell like burning rubber. :)

Maya January 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I was worried about the same thing, so I pressed ice packs against the base (not blocking the fans) while I made my butter. Although I think I chickened out and ended early. I can’t tell if it’s done or not because I have never had coconut butter before! I am typically satisfied with unrefined coconut oil.

HEAB January 24, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Maya,
If the coconut butter is done, it should be spreadable/pourable. Hope you like it! :)

Kelsey March 9, 2010 at 10:07 am

This is genius! Thank you so much, CD and Heather!

Quick question: about how much does a container of dehydrated, unsulphured coconut cost at Whole Foods? And how big is said container? lol. It’d be interesting to do a price comparison, ounce for ounce. Just wondering. Thanks! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 10:29 am

Kelsey, I think I paid a little over $3.00 for .80 lbs.

Lola March 9, 2010 at 10:10 am

CD gets BEST HUBBY OF THE YEAR AWARD!!! How fun :-D I can’t wait to hear your taste test results because I am making some of this if it’s a winner with Heaby! I have a few questions- In a recent post you mentioned you ate soaked teff. How on earth did you soak and strain it? Teff is teeny and I have wondered myself if I should be soaking it before eating it but figured it would all go down the drain if I tried rinsing it.
Also, due to your recent hype on sweet potatoes I tried one for the first time ever. Well you know how restricted my diet is still and let me tell you, I almost cried it tasted so amazing. Like a pillow of sugar! I’m wondering how you clean them before baking? Just a good scrub? I ate the skin because it was covered in syrupy-goodness and I know my dear friend Heaby always eats the skin on everything so I figured you were the girl to ask. I kind of felt like I was eating dirt in some spots because potatoes aren’t that easy to clean…..
Ok there’s my long-winded questions! Thanks for all the time you take on this blog my friend, it’s a fun treat to read each day.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 10:29 am

Hey Lola. Always good to hear from you. :) You’ve never had a sweet potato!?! Oh my goodness, it must have tasted like heaven…or a “pillow of sugar”. Hehe – I like your description better. Yes, I always eat the skins and I simply wash them and rub really hard with a paper towel before baking.

As far as the teff goes, I didn’t rinse. Just soaked and then cooked in soaking water. However, I bit down on a few bits of grit. You could always rinse and then drain using a cheesecloth. Think I might try that next time.

Hope you are doing well my friend!

eatmovelove March 9, 2010 at 10:14 am

Wow – way to save! How is the processor different from the Vita?
CD is genius.

Does it taste the same as the Artisana though?! – That’s the TRUE test!

And – do you still eat Nut Butters? It’s going to be HECB…hmm – not the same is it?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 10:26 am

Eatmovelove, Like I said, I’m still HEAB: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/03/01/im-still-heab/ Will do a comparison later today and let you know what the homemade version tastes like compared to Artisana. Not sure if the coconut butter will work in the Vita. I just used my food processor b/c that’s what I always use for homemade nut butters as it allows you to make more at once, and the clean up is much easier.

Tiffany March 9, 2010 at 10:37 am

CD is a genius. I just got into making my own nut butters, and this just takes it to a whole new level. I haven’t had the opportunity to try Artisana’s coconut butter, but maybe I’ll never have to now. :D THANKS HEAB AND CD!

elleneatsbeats March 9, 2010 at 10:39 am

Thats amazing!! This is going to save me soooo much money on coconut butter!

balancejoyanddelicias March 9, 2010 at 10:40 am

wooo!! This is great! I was just wondering how to make it because it’s sooo expensive!! Thank you!!!

brandi March 9, 2010 at 10:41 am

great experiment! Although at this point, I don’t know what would be cheaper: buying a food processor since I don’t have one…or buying coconut butter ;)

glidingcalm March 9, 2010 at 10:41 am

go CD!!! amazing!

Fallon March 9, 2010 at 10:42 am

Good deal!!! Definitely save a lot more money that way now. I have to make this soon!!

Michelle March 9, 2010 at 10:46 am

Once again . . . because of your lovely influence, I’ve just added some coconut to my diet. Was previously scared of the fat content and high calories. So far, I’ve sprinkled it on my oatmeal and greek yogurt (w/ cinnamon, maca powder and cacao powder–let me say, delish!) Literally, just bought some dried flakes at Whole Foods a few days ago. Saw the jarred coconut butter, but couldn’t bring myself to pay the price, but I wanted it so badly. Everyone seems to love it. Anyways, this post just made my day. I can’t wait to try making it at home.

All I have is a magic bullet though . . . think it will work??? Thanks again, Heather.

P.S. Just finished planning our annual Colorado vacation! *Sigh* Two words: Can’t wait!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Michelle, I can’t wait to get back to Colorado either! Definitely my favorite state. :)

I do not think the coconut butter would work in the Bullet as I don’t think it’s powerful enough. My food processor had to run a looong time.

Katie @ Two Lives, One Lifestyle March 9, 2010 at 10:50 am

Wow~ I’ve resisted buying the coconut butter because of the price so this is great news! (PS- Michelle: YAYYY CO!!!)

Lindsay March 9, 2010 at 10:51 am

I need to try that. I’ve just been afraid I’ll screw it up and it would cost me more money, haha. Looks simple. Thanks for sharing! Genuis work CD!

Shelly March 9, 2010 at 10:53 am

Holy cow I have to try this ASAP! I’ve been really wanting to try coconut butter but it’s really hard to find where I live. I saw it once, decided it was too expensive, but have been looking for it everywhere b/c I regretted not getting it anyway. Now I don’t have to regret! :)

Kristin March 9, 2010 at 10:54 am

I love you for posting this. Will make asap!

Erica March 9, 2010 at 10:55 am

Brilliant! I totally want to try this! Josh and I are CRAVING tropical goodness since getting back from Jamaica

Cat March 9, 2010 at 10:56 am

My reasons for NOT owning a food processor have all officially been schooled! I’m totally getting, at least, a baby sized one for my baby sized kitchen this weekend! So jealous, that looks divine!!!!

Lida March 9, 2010 at 10:59 am

Another thing you can do is make coconut milk in the blender with dehydrated coconut! i think it’s something like half coconut and half water, then you blend and strain it. more fragrant and fewer ingredients than canned!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Cool – thanks Lida!

Tracey March 9, 2010 at 10:59 am

I REALLY want to try and make this but I don’t have a food processor. Rat’s! I’ve really come to love the coconut flavor!

Danielle March 9, 2010 at 11:02 am

I can’t wait to see the side-by-side comparison!

I’ve actually made my own coconut butter at home but I had nothing to compare it to. It involved cracking open some coconuts but this looks like it would be much easier!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 9, 2010 at 11:02 am

So glad you’re feeling better… and i’m SO excited to try this! I’ve been holding off on getting the Artisana because its so darn expensive, but i can handle some bulk coconut :)

angie March 9, 2010 at 11:04 am

holy batman, I’m trying this TODAY! thanks so much

Marissa March 9, 2010 at 11:10 am

THANK YOU. I was just looking at a jar of the stuff in the store this weekend. I couldn’t bring myself to do it and thought “I probably can make it”. I was planning on looking for a recipe, but now I don’t have to! I know what I’m making tonight ;-)

<3 <3 <3

jenny (green food diaries) March 9, 2010 at 11:12 am

i had coconut butter in my green smoothie this morning and i was thinking about this… do you think the homemade coconut butter (shredded coconut in food processor) will have the same nutritional content as the artisana raw coconut butter? what i was thinking is the “raw” part and how easily digestible it is. i don’t exactly know how shredded coconut is “made”…

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Jenny, Unsweetened shredded coconut is simply dried coconut meat, and yes, I’m assuming the nutritional value of the homemade version is about the same as the Artisana.

Jerilynne March 9, 2010 at 11:13 am

GENUIS!!! I can’t find coconut butter where I liveand I can’t justify forking over the shipping costs on something I’ve never even tried before. But I have a food processor and access to shredded dried coconut. I will be trying this soon!!!!

todayslady March 9, 2010 at 11:15 am

I am trying this, I am trying this, I am trying this!!!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 9, 2010 at 11:18 am

Wow what a brilliant idea!

Sarah R March 9, 2010 at 11:21 am

OMG. No way. I was totally going to break down and buy some of this yesterday, but I’m waiting on some Chia seeds to be restocked so I didn’t. Now I can make my own!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Allie (Protein Girl) March 9, 2010 at 11:32 am

You can retire now that you’re on top. Like Oprah.

This is very exciting news. I’m not entirely sure that my thighs are grateful, but I’m excited nonetheless!

Kelly March 9, 2010 at 11:39 am

Heather…you are so flipping cool. I love it! :)

suzi March 9, 2010 at 11:46 am

BRILLANT!! that’s it.. i’m ordering a cuisinart today!

Amy @ Second City Randomness March 9, 2010 at 11:50 am

Oh that looks good. It makes my desire for a food processor that much worse! :)

Christie @ Honoring Health March 9, 2010 at 11:56 am

OMG, genius! Thanks for sharing. I have been wanting to buy coconut butter but it is so pricey!

Carbzilla March 9, 2010 at 11:56 am

Cue the Macaulay Culkin Home Alone face! I don’t use coconut butter but I might now! Big props to CD, as always!

Ana March 9, 2010 at 12:02 pm

So cool!!! I would never have guessed it would work with dehydrated coconut either, I am happy CD tried and you shared with us!
Can’t wait for the post with your taste test comparison!

Mae (OhhMay.Wordpress) March 9, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I CAN’T WAIT TO DO THIS!!! Oh my goodness! :-D I wonder what half almond, half coconut butter would taste like?
You’re brilliant, and I’m going out for ingredients NOW! (well, ingredient.)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Mae, One of my readers emailed me telling me she tried the 1/2 almond butter 1/2 coconut butter already. She said it’s delicious!

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) March 9, 2010 at 12:08 pm

You are a genius! Can’t wait to try this… I have coconut flakes I’ve been wanting to use up! :)

Ashley March 9, 2010 at 12:09 pm

All I have to say is FREAKING AWESOME. Once my jar is empty I will be making my own. I also have 4lbs of almonds waiting to be nut-butterized ;) Thanks girl!

Erin @ Hunting for Health March 9, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I am excited to see the comparison!! I am making a trip to Whole Foods today and am definitely going to have to try this out! I don’t know what I would do without your blog constantly providing great food adventures :)

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health March 9, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Ahhh! Brilliant!

Maggie March 9, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Heh – good timing here :D

brooke March 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm

oh my gosh that’s amazing!!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 9, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I love making my own homemade nut butters and I am too cheap to by the Artisana stuff. I am absolutely going to make this soon!

Katie March 9, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Oh my gosh, I can’t even TELL you how excited I am about this!! I’ve been wanting to try coconut butter forever, but can bring myself to fork over the $$. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

limerton March 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Weird, I just told someone to do this yesterday when I’d never done it myself. Good thing it works! lol

meg March 9, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Will you think of doing a post sometime about the many uses of coconut butter? I have some, but don’t quite know what to do with it! It seems to get lost in my oatmeal!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Meg, Just use coconut butter in place of where ever you would use almond or peanut butter. It makes a great topping for oats (or any cooked grain), toast, pancakes, etc. Also gives a lovely coconutty flavor to smoothies. It would be great on hot chocolate soupas well…anything warm and sweet. Oooh, and it’s also great on pureed winter squash or sweet potato fries. It’s like coconut frosting. :)

musingsofthegranolagirl March 9, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I tried the TJ roasted almond butter you recommended and THANK YOU THANK YOU — it’s so delicious & now I’m HOOKED! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 1:14 pm

The Granola Girl, So glad you liked it. I’m a bit hooked myself. :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 9, 2010 at 1:10 pm

And the first time I try this, I may just pay you and CD the $8 difference just for figuring this out.

What’s that I hear? Ah, that must be the sound of Artisana stock plummeting, haha. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Diana, You have my address, right? ;)

caronae March 9, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Brilliant Heather! Thanks for sharing. Funny fact: I HATED coconut, in all forms, up until the last year or so. Blogland made me like it somehow!

Glad you’re feeling better; please continue to improve :)

Vegaholic March 9, 2010 at 1:17 pm

This is good news!!! Yay!!

Anna March 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Can I just say…you are a GENIUSSS!!!!!

ilanalala March 9, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Brilliant.

Andrea of Care to Eat March 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm

My mind is officially blown. Like wide open. I’ve been wanting to buy some coconut butter and even researched some online last night. This is perfect because I can just make what I need when I need it! CD is a genius. You’re pretty smart too :)

Gina March 9, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Holy….wtfareyoukiddingme?? That’s amazing, must try this asap!!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 9, 2010 at 1:52 pm

OHmigosh- I had no idea you could do that! Amazing!!!

xo
K

Gena March 9, 2010 at 1:54 pm

You are a genius. GENIUS!

lindsayruns March 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm

um so i guess in the short run it is gonna cost me a ton more money because I NEED a food processor now, but THANKS for the recipe. I have a huge bag of that coconut sitting in my fridge unloved (it’s sweetened cousin gets all of my time). Horray!

Lindsey @ Sound Eats March 9, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I freaking love you. You are a complete genius. (This comes at ironic timing, too, because just this morning I mentioned that I was trying to stretch out my coconut butter supply!).

Also – I just made this in my VitaMix and it works great! I kept it at variable speed 5-6 and it’s perfect. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Lindsey, Thanks so much for letting me know it works in the Vita-Mix. I’ll share with everyone tomorrow.

Paige @ Running Around Normal March 9, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Oh man this is genius! And I JUST bought my first jar of Artisana. Love it, but when it’s gone, I’m giving this method a whirl :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie March 9, 2010 at 2:40 pm

You know, are CD and Tony really that smart, or are they simply sharing a brain via secret text messaging? Identical conversation about 2 months ago in our kitchen after I tried the Artisana Coconut butter and gasped at the price. DH right; Alisa wrong – but happy :)

Love to hear how your taste test goes. The Artisana was gone by the time we made some!

homecookedem March 9, 2010 at 2:47 pm

You do know you’re gonna be on Artisana’s list now… ;) haha!! How clever you and CD are!! Thanks for sharing this brilliant idea!! I’ve never had coconut butter, I WILL be making this!! :)

Samantha March 9, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I’m picking up more dehydrated unsweet flakes today for macaroons, going to get an extra bag and try this since I can’t find it here. Yum!

CD IS a genius…yesterday I used his trick of melting coconut oil and chocolate together, but tossed in a little bit of millet puffs cereal and dried gojiberries. My boys quite enjoyed their homemade chocolate bars after school.

Cat March 9, 2010 at 2:59 pm

So amazing!!! I’ve been contemplating what to do with all of my coconut I have leftover from a granola project. GREAT timing on this revelation because I’m all out of coconut butter! Sweet! Thank you!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl March 9, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Oh, wow. Genius for sure! Can’t wait for the taste comparison! :-D

theemptynutjar March 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I recently splurged and bought a jar…
warmed it up in a pan, stirred it around…

um….ate like half of it in one sitting
who can possibly just eat 1 TBSP of it?

I eat 3-5 TBSPS at one moment :)
And that is just the beggining

no food processor….and definitely will not be able to buy this stuff regularly….like twice a year maybe!

Ashlei March 9, 2010 at 3:08 pm

CD is a genius. First the coconut oil chocolate with the “double boiler” and now this. :) He needs to create stuff more often!!

Abbey March 9, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Soooo, do you put Artisana’s coconut butter in the microwave to de-solidify? How much time to get it to spreadable consistency? Great experiment!

Have you tried the cacao coconut butter from Artisana? I just bought some but haven’t tried it yet or the regular.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Abbey, I never use a microwave. To “melt” my coconut butter, I usually just set the jar in front of my space heater or next to the stove while I’m cooking. That melts it enough to get out a few spoonfuls. You can use the microwave – I just choose not to.

Your will LOVE the Cacao Bliss. Chocolate heaven in a jar! :)

Becca March 9, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Are you kidding me? That’s all it is? I’m going to make some right away- thanks so, so much for posting this, Heather!

Bria March 9, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Awesome. I’m sooo gonna try it one day.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Farty, We do what we can. :)

fartygirl March 9, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I love how ecstatic everyone is about this. You made everyone’s day, HEABs n’ CD. :)

Susan March 9, 2010 at 4:36 pm

OMG Heather I love you for this! I never want to shell out the bucks for coconut butter but I do have unsweetened coconut to make this! YES YES YES!!!! Thank you so much!

And I’m glad you’re feeling better (I’m not a completely insensitive reader, despite sounding pretty obnoxious above haha!) : )

Morgan March 9, 2010 at 5:55 pm

mmmmmm!! my neighbors probably hate me with all the blender/food processor action haha ohhhh well!

so i don’t know if you’ve tried this or not, but i had a bangin’ lunch and i totally thought of you while i was making it. i put roasted red cabbage/broccoli/corn/mushrooms over a bed of greens and then topped it with a combination of 2 tablespoons of peanut butter mixed with salsa. my friend thought i was INSANE but it was amazing, i assure you. kind of reminded me of your tahini/tomato paste mixture.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Salsa and peanut butter does not sound insane to me! I’ve never mixed the two, but it is now on my to-try list. Thanks Morgan. :)

Nicole March 9, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I am SO excited to try this! I was just complaining about how I ran out of my coconut butter. CD YOU ROCK!! (and you do too Heather) Glad to hear you’re feeling better!!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 9, 2010 at 6:19 pm

OK Allie always takes the words out of my mouth (see, we ARE twins?!!)…now you can retire. But not from the blog world, from your job…CD just saved your household about $2Bn over the course of your lives. This one will go down in the same lines as Gliding Calm Tofu, Breakfast Cookies, Oats in a Jar and Banana soft serve. The blogosphere is breathing a sigh of relief, once they let out a huge scream of excitement.

ProteinGirl March 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm

What a wonderful experiment! I just have one question: why not use your Vitamix instead? Try the poppy seeds in the processor/vita mix! You have to try poppyseed paste! I’m sure any sweetener (stevia after lent!) Agave, Honey, Sucanat, yucan syrup, splenda etc will work.
Congrats on the successful recipe!
Barbara

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Hey Barbara, I always use my food processor for homemade nut butters b/c you can make larger batches and clean-up is much easier. Poppy seed paste – yes, yes, it’s in the recipe queue. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 9, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I was summoned over here by Ashlei the VegSter b/c we were talking about Artisana’s cocao butter (I posted bout it yesterday) anyway…this post is ALREADY legendary in the ‘sphere Heather after just a half dozen hours b/c you have truly hit a gem. This is the coconut equivalent of banana softserve a la Gena. And what’s so ironic, it’s not even a food blogger who really thought of it…it was CD! ha! that’s classic! No, what’s classic is this creation.

I bow down to thee. Forever.

And I was at WF this morning and just blogged about that. I have sweetened Baker’s brand coconut flakes that I make macaroons with. I need to see if I could use those b/c I do prefer sweet to unsweet as you know LOL but I wonder what the dehydrated does to the final batch.

And I will re-read your comment replies but I am thinking you did this in the food proc and not your Vita as you have experience w/ nut butters this way. Softserve in the Vita eluded me for a long time, til I figured 1/8 to 1/4 c almond milk or even splash of water w/ 2 frozen nannas works wonders. I wonder if a dash of agave or something with the coconut flakes would work in the Vita or if it would just be like flying airborne coconut everywhere?!

Sorry this is so long, you dont have to reply, I am just rambling :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Averie, Not sure if the sweetened coconut flakes would work, but worth a try. However, I have to say that just like the Artisana, the homemade version is sweet on its own since coconut meat is naturally sweet.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 9, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Just read Lindsay of Sound Eats’ comment that it works in a Vita! woot!
now the question is will it work with sweetened grocery coconut flakes or do I have to buy unsweetened and/or “dehydrated” fancier(more expensive WF) type coconut flakes. That shall be the test!

vegaholic March 9, 2010 at 7:00 pm

(I didn’t read through all the comments to see if someone had tried it in the vitamix yet, so sorry if this is old news…) I just tried making coconut butter in the Vitamix – AMAZING! SO fast and so easy. I put an 8oz package of unsweetened, unsulfured dried coconut into the vitamix, turned it on, slowly increased the speed until it was all the way up, and let it blend for maybe 1 minute, while plunging. I had to stop and scrape once, and then blended another 10-20 seconds. DONE! So fast! Wow. I am so excited at this new discovery!

simplyshaka March 9, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Legendary idea–yay for easiness and the frugality that comes along with it. Luckily, I have a huge tupperware container of unsweetened coconut in my kitchen-will definitely have to try!

Jess March 9, 2010 at 8:23 pm

YAY! Don’t need to spend so much money on a jar of coconut butter!
<3 jess

Jessica @ Fit & Clean March 9, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I am trying this tomorrow. I would love to save the $12 I paid for my coconut butter…I’ve been using is sparingly because of the price! Hope it works for me :)

theprocessofhealing March 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm

You. Are. A. GENIUS!

Emilyeatsclean March 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Are you kidding me??!?!! That’s it??? How Ahhhhh-mazing!!! Best blog post I’ve read alllll day!!! :)

-emily http://emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

Alissa March 9, 2010 at 9:33 pm

This is amazing!!!! I live in Australia and have been wanting to try coconut butter for ages but I haven’t been able to find it anywhere and no where seems to ship to Australia. I just gave it a try and it worked pretty well just wondering Heather if you were able to get your coconut butter really smooth? I processed mine for agesssss but it was still a little grainy once I decided it had been long enough, is that what the artisana coconut butter is like? I love your blog, I tried the pizza pancakes the other day too and of course they were amazing! Thanks!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Hey Alissa, Yes, my homemade version is a bit grainy as well. Going to post about that tomorrow. Artisana is more smooth, and I’m wondering if processing it longer would help, but maybe not? However, still similar in taste to Artisana and MUCH CHEAPER!

Glad you enjoyed the pancakes and thanks for reading HEAB. :)

Alissa March 9, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for the reply! I actually ended up processing mine for about 30 mins all up (I kept taking breaks though so the processor didn’t overheat) and it seemed to get to a point where it wasn’t going to get any smoother, though I make my own nut butters and they are always a tiny bit grainy as well, perhaps it’s just my processor. It still tastes amazing!!! :)

Lanna March 10, 2010 at 12:20 am

I love you. Let’s be best friends.

/creepy
/delurking

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 10, 2010 at 7:32 am

Lanna, Hehe. OK. :)

Emmanuelle March 10, 2010 at 4:58 am

Ok, so now I know how NOT to spend again a fortune on a coconut butter jar (seems that the prices in the US are the same as here in Europe – I mean, when we can find coconut butter, that is)
Thanks! :-)

Karin March 10, 2010 at 5:03 am

We can’t get Artisana products over here but I’ve been dying to try coconut butter. Thank you so much for the recipe!!

melissa March 10, 2010 at 5:58 am

Awesome!! Such a cool thing to read about succeeding. CD is a keeper. And so is this experiment.

Lori March 10, 2010 at 6:31 am

I have not seen the Artisana Coconut Butter anywhere so now I can actually try it! A big thank you to CD!
Glad you are starting to feel better!

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen March 10, 2010 at 6:45 am

I just fell in love with you a little bit more. Brilliant!

Fat Old Jogger March 10, 2010 at 8:28 am

A cheap super-genius. Next thing you know he’ll be inventing TP.

Shannon March 10, 2010 at 9:05 am

omg, fabulous. definitely trying ;)

Pure2raw twins March 10, 2010 at 10:01 am

OMG!!! Thank you CD!!

Metta March 10, 2010 at 11:34 am

I think I’ve seen the same recipe that CD saw online. I’ve been meaning to make it, but keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder, and glad to know it works – and to know that it can take 10 – 12 minutes. (I tend to lose patience after about 3 minutes!)

Angela loves food March 10, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Heather! this is amazing, I was always ” ” this close to buying the artisana jars, but alas I am just broke. But this will change. Yay!!! Thank you!!!

Jo March 10, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Oh my god, I love you! Living in the UK I really struggle to get Artisana coconut butter and the only place I have seen it available online it’s £13 a jar and they want £6 postage on top of that – that is one expensive jar of coconut butter!

I have dehydrated coconut in the cupboard so am off to try!

Thank you!

x

Patty March 10, 2010 at 3:53 pm

That looks AMAZING and I can’t wait to try it!

Ashleigh March 10, 2010 at 4:35 pm

You mentioned leaving it at room temp — this is probably a silly question, but do you just continue to leave it at room temperature? How long will it keep fresh? I’m a coconut newbie ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 10, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Ashleigh, I never refrigerate my coconut butter. It will last a while…not quite sure how long because a jar never lasts long in our house. :)

Kara Jackson March 10, 2010 at 5:32 pm

First of all, Whole Foods Rules!

Secondly, thanks for this idea, I would of never thought to make my own coconut butter, but why not?!? I’m currently living in Europe and this stuff is seriously expensive here. thanks!

Triple N Stephie March 11, 2010 at 10:16 am

Thank You So Much HEAB & CD!!
You truly saved me from that ridiculous cost of the Artisana coconut butter.
I live in Canada and I bought the jar just last week…17.99!!! Can you even believe it?
I was like “omg This stuff is Pure Heaven but…:(”
OMG now I know what to get, a Food Processor!
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for this brilliant, genius, and magnificent idea!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 11, 2010 at 10:54 am

Triple N Stephie, You’re welcome. :)

janetha March 11, 2010 at 2:25 pm

your creativity and craftiness in the kitchen never ceases to amaze me! i think you had me at the heat lamp. this coconut butter is icing on the cake.

Lori March 11, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Wow. That looks absolutely, out of control, amazing.

Get better girl!

Julie @ Pickley Pear March 11, 2010 at 6:25 pm

This is so interesting to me! I may just have to try it.

Erica @ Fashion meets Food March 12, 2010 at 7:27 am

Holy wow! You are fabulous and brilliant!!! I must make this! Thanks for sharing!!

xoxo

Elina March 12, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I can’t wait to try this!!!

n.D. March 15, 2010 at 6:57 pm

wow I can’t wait to try this!

Cherie March 16, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Love it! I had plans to try coconut butter on cinnamon rolls, which would have gone out the window the minute I realized how much it cost. Now I will just use some of the 3 lbs. or so of coconut in my pantry, lol.

Sally Parrott Ashbrook March 22, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Yum! That is just awesome. :)

Lisa Cohen March 29, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I am try to make the homemade cacao bliss but am having problems getting the dried coconut to become coconut butter. I’m using my food processor and although it’s been on for 15-20 minutes it’s still just dried coconut… more finely ground, though. I’m wondering if I should add some moisture since the coconut, while not old, has been in a bag in my pantry through the winter (which is admittedly dry here). Has anyone else here had that problem??

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Lisa, Perhaps you’d have better luck using Mae’s blender method? http://ohhmay.com/2010/03/13/homemade-cacao-bliss/. Also, I know people have experienced different results based on which type of dried coconut you used. I have gotten the best results with shredded coconut rather than coconut flakes. Best of luck!

DebinHawaii March 29, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I found you through a link of Facebook of all places. Organic Style Magazine and I am totally making this (and giving you credit of course!) . I have a big container of dehydrated coconut in my freezer. Thanks for posting it.

Aloha,

Deb

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 30, 2010 at 7:44 am

You’re welcome Deb. Glad you found me! :)

Deanna April 9, 2010 at 11:19 am

Thanks so much for this post. I made some this week and it is oh so delicious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 9, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Deanna, You’re welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Kristy April 27, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Those that had trouble with it still being like shredded coconut after awhile…I had the same problem because I hadn’t added enough coconut. If you put more in, it should be fine.
My problem is that it is hard as a rock by the next morning…completely solid. And I didn’t refrigerate it either. Any tips??

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 28, 2010 at 2:42 am

Kristy, Thanks for the tip. All coconut butter solidifies at room temperature. When I’m ready to use mine, I set the jar in a warm place for a few minutes – either outside or beside the oven while I’m cooking. That melts is enough for me to get a few spoonfuls. Or, you can just scrape as much out of the jar as you want, put it in a glass bowl, and microwave until melted.

Deanna April 28, 2010 at 4:19 am

I’m not fond of the super hard state of things, either. I was wondering if it would make any difference if I tried it with fresh shredded coconut instead of dried. Perhaps the extra water content would keep it softer…. Perhaps. But, I’m not sure how long it would last with the extra water content.

Is the commercial stuff as hard? I’ve never bought it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 28, 2010 at 4:29 am

Deanna, Yes, Artisana’s is hard as well. You can blend up fresh coconut flesh. It’s tasty but it would need to be refrigerated, and it won’t keep as long. Danielle made some, and you can read about it here: http://coffeerun8.wordpress.com/2010/02/19/cuckoo-for-coconuts/, and here she compares her homemade version to Artisana’s: http://coffeerun8.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/a-bad-egg/. Hope this helps!

Deanna April 28, 2010 at 8:44 am

Thanks for the reply – I think I might have to try Danielles fresh coconut version. I’d not seen her blog before, so thanks for introducing me to her, too!

Damjana May 23, 2010 at 5:44 am

HEAB, you’re genious – HECB lol
I tried making coconut butter last year – I used the pulp of a coconut – however I didn’t keep blending for so long. I gave up after several minutes thinking this is not possible to make in my blender.
However I came up with an easier recipe not long ago..I still need to improve it and then post it.
My blender is only 200 W and it’s hard to make a smooth pb – it dies meanwhile several times, still it’s awesome!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 8:01 am

Damjana, Did you see Mae’s blender version of this? I think it might help you: http://ohhmay.com/2010/03/13/homemade-cacao-bliss/. Enjoy! :)

boundtoearth May 28, 2010 at 9:17 am

$8 per jar?? It’s about $14 here for the Artisana!!! Which is why it’s a total splurge for me! I always have bulk shredded coconut from Whole foods in the pantry though, I am absolutely doing this tomorrow. Thanks :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

Boundtoearth, you’re welcome. Enjoy! :)

Liz Allen June 4, 2010 at 12:45 am

So, I’ve never had coconut butter, but it sounds heavenly. I was wondering if it was possible to blend coconut oil and coconut flour together to make coconut butter? As I’ve never had the real thing, I have no idea if this would be a close match. Please let me know.

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 4, 2010 at 8:05 am

Liz, I’ve never tried it, but I think that would make more of a coconut cream, like in this post: http://thenondairyqueen.blogspot.com/2010/04/almond-buckwheat-pancakes-with-coconut.html. It would be more “cream-like” than “butter-like”, but there is nothing wrong with that! ;)

Kenzie August 29, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I didn’t even know this was possible.. but I’m sure it is so much better than the store bought stuff! I think if you make a batch big enough you should be set for a while.. I can’t wait to try this, going to have some girls over and make a LOT!
-Kenzie
Deep Fryers

HEAB August 29, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Kenzie,
Yes, totally possible! I was skeptical at first, but it worked and was so yummy. Hope you and the girls enjoy. :)

Christina December 7, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Hi Heather! Long time reader, rare commenter! I just tried this after linking back from another post. Wonderful! I just spent ($1.80 Canadian) on maybe 1 1/2 c of dessicated, unsweetened, unsulfered coconut from my local store in bulk and whipped it right up in the food processor. It took only maybe 5 minutes to get smooth! Absolutely delicious. So simple and easy and cheap! Can’t wait to try it on Elena’s Pantry Almond Flour Pancakes.. Must browse your archives for pancakes too! Thanks so much. Christina

HEAB December 7, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Christina,
So glad the coconut butter worked for you and that you enjoyed it. It’s wonderful on pancakes. :)

Pete|Read The Best Food Processor Reviews January 4, 2011 at 10:40 am

Looks pretty good. I’m always looking for new things to try out in the kitchen. I also like the tone the article was written in. Very light-hearted. Thanks.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 26, 2011 at 10:23 am

OMG. I love you .. this is freaken awesome! I’ve made my own coconut milk, but never butter.. oh the possibilities for frugal, delicious desserts.

Deidre February 6, 2011 at 8:04 am

Hi Heather

I just made this. AMAZING and so easy! Do you refrigerate yours? How long does it last?

HEAB February 6, 2011 at 8:42 am

Deidre,
Nope, no need to refrigerate. Coconut butter is stable at room temperature. It will harden, and so I usually just place it in a warm area, like next to the stove while I cook something for a few minutes, or you can just scoop out a few shavings and melt them atop something warm in or in the oven/micro. It should last a few months…but it’s usually gone within a week at my house. :)
Enjoy!

Cailin @ Stir Crazy February 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I was just about to ask this same question about storing it! I just made this and it’s sitting on my counter and hardening now :) This was so simple to make. I can’t wait to try it.

GirlonRaw February 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I think I have just ordered a crateload of coconut butter from the US (pregnancy cravings much?) but now I’ve just seen this I think I had better give it a shot!

PS do you want me to send you some digestives? Just say the word – we have heaps of them here in Saudi at the compound commissary :)

PPS I know I am about a year late with this post kehehe.

HEAB February 19, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Girl On Raw,
Yes, you must try homemade coconut butter. It’s really easy and just as good as Artisana in my opinion. The homemade stuff is a little grittier, but you can smooth it out in the blender after processing. I never do – too lazy. ;)

Oh gosh, you are so sweet to offer to send my Digestives, but please don’t. They now carry them at our local grocery store, and they call out to me every time I pass by them. Plus, our freezer is now full of Girl Scout cookies we ordered from our neighbor. They are also calling to me. I’m surrounded by cookies – not good! Hehe.

nolalarue February 25, 2011 at 9:03 am

I tried to make coconut butter in the Vitamix (the Cuisinart started smoking). I was too scared to turn it on high, I just used variable 5 and tampered down but still no butter just more shredded. I put in the wet container, should I have put it in the dry?……anyone…..???

HEAB February 25, 2011 at 9:10 am

Nolalarue,
I’ve never made the coconut butter in my Vita-Mix, but Katie has: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/01/26/make-your-own-coconut-butter/. I’m assuming she used the wet blade and cranked it up to high. When I have used the Vita for other nut butters, you have to use it at full power. It will automatically shut off if the motor gets too hot, and you just have to unplug and let it cool down for a while. Don’t be scared. :)

Debbie T February 28, 2011 at 10:06 pm

oh I am so happy to have found this! I was searching for “jarred coconut butter” and found YOU!!!

I just bought a jar of this expensive stuff at WF and I’m going to definitely return it, and make it from scratch.

was going to ask you if you can keep it in the pantry or if it needs refrigeration, and it was answered in your comments. NO refrigeration needed! Thanks!!!

Kaley March 11, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I’ve been exploring a lot of new foods in a health overhaul effort, but I’ve been dying for something to calm my sweet tooth and I thought coconut butter would be a great base for a lot of options. I was SO excited to find this post!!! Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me. :-( I can’t figure out why I’m having problems. I bought very, very finely shredded (seriously, almost like powder) organic coconut at a specialty store and dumped it in my food processor for over ten minutes and pretty much nothing happened except it got hot and I could see moisture on the inside of the bowl. I added a little water and a little rice milk thinking it might get the process going, but no luck. I’m sure I spent over 30 min. trying to get results, but to no avail. So now I have coconut mush. Clearly, after reading a bunch of posts, I’m doing something wrong, since most people seemed to have had no problems. Any suggestions? I’ve never had coconut butter, but from the beautiful pictures, I’m craving it! :-) Thank you for the recipe!

HEAB March 12, 2011 at 7:51 am

Kaley,
I think you would love the coconut butter and hopefully we can get this to work. First off, do not add anything. The natural oils of the coconut shreds are all the “liquid” you need. You didn’t buy reduced fat coconut, did you?

Also, you need a pretty powerful food processor. What kind do you have? You just have to let it run, sometimes for 15 minutes, scraping down the sides if you need to, but again, don’t add anything. If nothing is happening after 15 mins, it might just be that your food processor isn’t powerful enough.

Kaley March 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I bet you are right. Changing my diet recently has been the first time I needed a food processor – my “Magic Bullet” did the trick in the past. I ordered a Hamilton Beach model, 500 watts. It was pretty inexpensive, but I bought it because I’m a “beginner” and the reviews were really good. I’m guessing none of the reviewers had tried coconut butter. :-) I might try it ONE more time in this processor and give it longer without adding anything, but I’ll probably add “high quality food processor” to my next birthday list. :-) Thank you for your help!

Amanda May 25, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I just made this in my BLENDER! Yay for homemade coconut butter!

HB July 15, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Hi Heather,

Which food processor do you recommend for homemade coconut/almond butter?

Thanks!

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm

HB,
I have a prototype model from a friend, and so I’m not sure which brand it is. I hear that both KitchenAid and Cuisinart are good, and for homemade nut butters, I would opt for a larger one as they seem more powerful – like 9 or 10 cup capacity. If you’re a member, Costco usually has great deals on food processors.

HB July 15, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Thanks Heather. Looking forward to shopping for a new food processor.

Loretta September 4, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Wow! This was wonderful! Thanks so much!!!

HEAB September 5, 2013 at 7:24 am

Loretta,
You’re welcome. So glad you enjoyed. :)

{ 41 trackbacks }