The Forgotten Condiment

by HEAB on March 12, 2010

There’s been a lot of talk about sweet coconut butter lately, but my savory cravings are still going strong. A few nights ago, I tried Katie’s concoction of eggs mixed with hummus and mustard…

I am now putting mustard in and on everything. I prefer the Whole Foods 365 brand Dijon mustard. Trader Joe’s version was way too hot as it literally brought tears to my eyes. Talk to me people, what are your favorite mustards? I must try them!!!

Here we have mustard and nutritional yeast atop some broccoli and artichoke hearts roasted in Kerrygold butter.

For yesterday’s breakfast, I doused my entire plate consisting of a spinach egg scramble, bacon, and leftover roasted kabocha squash in a mustard vinaigrette (1 TBSP Dijon mustard, 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar, and 1 tsp raw honey). Mmm, that was good!

So, are you a mustard lover or hater, and if a lover, what is your favorite mustard recipe?

Jessica @ How Sweet March 12, 2010 at 8:42 am

I am a mustard lover! I love all kinds – yellow, spicy, honey. I have never ‘mixed’ things in with mustard like hummus and nooch, but I bet that is awesome.

Jenn March 12, 2010 at 8:47 am

A mustard lover! Especially dijon and spicy. I also love adding dried mustard to salad dressings.

claudia March 12, 2010 at 8:53 am

I love mixing my mustards. I mix whole grain mustard with a dijon or smooth style. I like the “bite/crunch” of the grains in my mustard. this combo is a PARTY in my mouth.

claire March 12, 2010 at 9:00 am

I LOVE mustard.I have at least 5 kinds in my fridge:-) I use it as the primary ingredient for my salad dressings,too:-)cc

Kristin Russell March 12, 2010 at 9:02 am

I like-a the mustard. It is a great thickener for homemade salad dressings, and a good dijon can clear out your sinuses almost as well as a netti-pot!

hairinmycoffee.com

Ameena March 12, 2010 at 9:03 am

I love mustard…Whole Foods has a stone ground kind which is the best. I also love TJ’s regular mustard. I mix it with turmeric, apple cider vinegar, and salsa, and throw it on my eggs. So good!

Whitney March 12, 2010 at 9:06 am

I LOVE mustard- mainly yellow, dijon, and honey! It is the best condiment! My favorite recipe is Salmon with Herb Mustard Glaze http://chickenonthegreen.blogspot.com/2009/03/salmon-with-herb-mustard-glaze.html . Yum!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 12, 2010 at 9:11 am

LOVE mustard!!!
I make a chicken marinade with mustard, balsamic, garlic, oregano, and a little oil… yum!

Melissa March 12, 2010 at 9:11 am

I am thinkin about trying a sugar/sweetener fast next week so im LOVING your savory posts! I make a mustard chicken salad with dry mustard, honey, toasted coconut, raisins, my own mayo from my sisters fresh eggs..wrapped in spinach or romaine leaves…delicious!

Heather March 12, 2010 at 9:11 am

this is so funny, i just tweeted yesterday about how much i LOVE mustard! I don’t necessarily have a favorite brand, but I love regular yellow on burgers and sandwiches, dijon in cooking and dressings, and whole grain is a lot of fun to cook with as well! dijon is really good in a dressing for roasted brussels sprouts…http://heathersdish.com/2010/02/02/bad-breath-potato-salad/ :) hope you like it!

Sonia March 12, 2010 at 9:12 am

I am a Colman’s mustard fanatic <3 It is pretty strong though, so I'm not sure if you will like it.

elleneatsbeats March 12, 2010 at 9:13 am

I always loved the TJs dijon, but I swear they’ve made it spicier!! It seems everyone I talk to is finding it to hard to handle these days.

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini March 12, 2010 at 9:13 am

Oh I love mustard. I put it in everything! Dijon is my favourite.

Christie @ Honoring Health March 12, 2010 at 9:14 am

I like to mix dry coleman’s mustard with water to make my own (I have some health reasons why I can’t eat sugar or vinegar) and it will blow your head off if you go to heavy on it. With the right amount thought, it tastes awesome but different that what you buy in the store.

Amy @ Second City Randomness March 12, 2010 at 9:18 am

For some reason I’ve never been a huge fan…

I don’t like ketchup, either. So I have issues when I go to ballparks and want a hotdog… lol.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) March 12, 2010 at 9:24 am

I love mustard. Spicy, sweet all of it. I used to have a whole mustard bin in my fridge- cranberry, dill, honey, grainy. There are hundreds of kinds. Thanks for the reminder. The best mustard I’ve ever had is from that joint downtown LA called Philippes. OMG, makes you cry!

Hope you’re feeling better- some philippes mustard would scare all the snot out of your being!

erintakescontrol March 12, 2010 at 9:27 am

I don’t particularly care for mustard, unless it’s a tolerable honey mustard. Anything else better be mixed well, or I won’t touch it!

Katie March 12, 2010 at 9:27 am

I love spicy mustard so much. That mixed with bbq sauce makes my favorite topping for veggies of all kinds. :-)

homecookedem March 12, 2010 at 9:30 am

I love mustard!! I like dijon most of all and love mixing in vinegar and a little agave nectar to make a yummy salad dressing. I’ve also mixed it in with my eggs before cooking them and it is so yummy. I’ll have to try it with nutritional yeast!

BroccoliHut March 12, 2010 at 9:37 am

May-juh mustard fan here–love honey mustard especially.

Lori March 12, 2010 at 9:38 am

Hi Heather! First time commenter, LOVE your blog and LOVE mustard of all types! In honor of St. Patrick’s Day I’ll share a recipe (I LOAD my corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots with mustard and vinegar – best meal ever!)
Cook 1 finely chopped onion in 2 T butter for 5 min. Stir in 1/2 C ligh-bodied lager, 1 T whole grain mustard, 1/2 t fresh minced thyme (or 1/4 t dried thyme) and simmer 2 min. Add 1 lb sliced cabbage and 2 t cider vinegar, cook covered, stir occasionally, about 8 min. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy (with a Guinness of course!) Cheers :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 12, 2010 at 9:40 am

Thanks Lori. I love cabbage, and your version sounds fairly simple. Delicious as well. :)

leah March 12, 2010 at 9:43 am

I love mustard. I like mixing yellow mustard with mayo and stevia for a delicious dip. It’s good with pretzels and believe it or not I love it with grilled shrimp (weird?) I love me some grey poupon too!!

samantha March 12, 2010 at 9:46 am

mustard is my homeboy. i love all varieties of the maille brand (it’s oh so french), but in my opinion you can never go wrong with good ol’ grey poupon.

Kyla March 12, 2010 at 9:47 am

Mmmmm mustard…

I love champagne mustard, hot mustard, honey mustard, beer mustard. Mustard can do wrong in my book.

Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 12, 2010 at 9:57 am

I love mustard! Dijon in my salad dressing ALWAYS.

Jen March 12, 2010 at 9:57 am

Have you tried Annie’s?? I love them all! But, I am a mustard lover! Stoneground is my fav!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 12, 2010 at 10:53 am

Jen, I have tried Annie’s. It was good.

Jessie March 12, 2010 at 10:04 am

I love mustard! And I am glad I am not the only one who thought that TJ’s dijon was a bit too much. But now I don’t know what to try at my normal grocery store….no Whole Foods in Charlotte, maybe I can find something at EarthFare.

Katie March 12, 2010 at 10:10 am

I was actually going to do an “Ode to Mustard” post soon. Sounds like there are some fans out there. Right now, I have dijon, chipotle, wasabi, cranberry, spicy brown, honey, stoneground and sweet hot mustards all open in my fridge. I am working on a gluten free mustard bread recipe…

I used to live 30 minutes from the National Mustard Museum. No joke, it exists, and it is fabulous!

Megan March 12, 2010 at 10:12 am

I LOOOVE super spicy honey mustard. mmmmm.

ALSO, how doyou make your bacon? It always looks so perfect!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 12, 2010 at 10:56 am

Megan, I simply fry the bacon in a skillet and flip it halfway through cooking.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 12, 2010 at 10:16 am

I love mustard, but it only belongs in a few places…

that being said, one of my friends makes an awesome salad dressing recipe about a TBSP mustard, 1 TBSP mayo 1TBSP white vinegar and whatever spices… mix it all together and drizzle over salad… it’s SOOO good!!

andrewsjenn@hotmail.com March 12, 2010 at 10:23 am

I have a strong addiction to mustard – right up there spaghetti sauce and nut butters…yep. Usually just get the plain spicy stuff. I can smell your bacon! What kind do you get/buy anyways?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 12, 2010 at 10:54 am

Eatmovelove, Current fave is the Whole Foods 365 brand Dijon.

Megan March 12, 2010 at 10:25 am

HONEYcup. That’s my fave I just remembered.

Danielle March 12, 2010 at 10:25 am

I love mustard too! I always put it on veggie burgers but my mom likes to marinate chicken in it.

I’m driving by WF today and I’m going to be *very* tempted to pick up some coconut butter!

skinnyrunner March 12, 2010 at 10:47 am

i like mustard, esp dijo, but not as much as you i dont think :)

Maggie March 12, 2010 at 10:53 am

I’m a lover. I had this awesome mustard dressing at a restaurant the other day and I have NO idea what they put in it. It was probably super heavy but it was awesome. Very creamy.

Emily March 12, 2010 at 11:16 am

Hi Heather! I’m most definitely a mustard lover. Two of my favorites are Gulden’s Honey Mustard and course ground beer mustard. So tasty. :)

Mama Pea March 12, 2010 at 11:21 am

Mustard rocks. I love that there are so many varieties and that you can find it in the strangest places, like this local monastery near me that makes a rockin’ Angelic Honey Garlic.

Kelly March 12, 2010 at 11:21 am

LOVE MUSTARD!!! All kind, any way, on any thing! haha!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 12, 2010 at 11:22 am

I am a mustard lover!!! I put it on everything! I eat it straight up as a salad dressing! YUM!

Carbzilla March 12, 2010 at 11:23 am
eatmovelove March 12, 2010 at 11:24 am

I was actually asking about the kind of BACON you get haha !! ;) - not mustard! But whatever!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Eatmovelove, Trader Joe’s brand bacon.

Evan Thomas March 12, 2010 at 11:26 am

I totally forgot about maple mustard tofu. I also have some caramel mustard–that stuff is sinful :-)
I thought the forgotten condiment would be ketchup lol. I guess not.
I don’t know about where you are, but Kerrygold is 1.99 on sale this week at Whole Foods near me! I’m going to stock up and you should check if it’s the same for you.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 12, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for the tip Evan. I love my Kerrygold!

The Foodie Diaries March 12, 2010 at 11:29 am

i always douse my ensaladas with mustard. i ate a WF salad with a bunch of new school friends this weekend at IIN–and i had to warn them that i was about to do something gross. but i really wasnt down to have my salad sans mustard just to spare myself potential public judgment haha

luckytastebuds March 12, 2010 at 11:43 am

Ohhh boy mustard is DEFINITELY my favorite condiment ever!!! It’s awesome but can be a little safe sometimes! I love mixing chicken or tuna salads with mustard and a healthy heaping of hummus and avocado!! HEABS style, it might have to be tahini and coconut oil though. hahaha :D Happy friday Heather!!

Janna (Just Flourishing) March 12, 2010 at 11:47 am

I am a mustard LOVER! Hot mustard, dijon, regular…I love it all! BUT I have totally forgotten about it! Thanks for the reminder. :D

Marissa March 12, 2010 at 11:55 am

Too weird. I have always hated mustard, but for some reason lately I have been craving it. I had some Foods Alive BBQ flax crackers that had mustard in them and I cannot get mustard off the brain now. I am going to try to work on my own flax cracker as those suckers are spendy and I already have a bag of flax seed in the fridge that is taking up space. I think I have to stick with dijon and mustard powder though, the yellow stuff still makes me gag.

Gina March 12, 2010 at 11:59 am

I’m not a big yellow fan, but I love the dijon varieties. When I was in Dijon, France a couple years ago, we made sure to leave with a variety pack of mustard! I loved the whole grain and the lavendar dijons. My favorite thing to do with it is put onto a grilled cheese or mix into a salad dressing or “gravy”!

Meg's Gut March 12, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Mustard lover! Well…only dijon mustard, I’m not a fan of the neon yellow french mustard.

I enjoy honey mustard the most, one of my favourite salad dressings is honey, dijon, balsamic and olive oil. Yummm Yummm!

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine March 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I love mustard!! The spicier the better, in my opinion, but I’m also partial to honey mustard. :)

I also have a new favorite mustard recipe! It involves dijon, lemon juice, and nooch! OMG so good- I just made it and posted about it on my blog on this post: http://masterofherromaine.blogspot.com/2010/03/kitchen-experiments.html

Hope you check it out! It will not disappoint :D

Betherann March 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Mustard rocks! Last week I made hummus with Dijon that was so good (hm every comment I make on here lately seems to have to do with some wacky hummus variation…). I also like to put it on salads mixed with balsamic and herbs (rosemary is a good one). Mustard makes a good complement to hummus on a sandwich/wrap…but now I’ll have to try it on eggs! Yum.

Bettie March 12, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Definitely Gulden’s Spicy Brown mustard. (It’s not very spicy at all…)
It is my absolute fave!! I use it on all my wraps, sandwiches, and as a ‘dipper’.

Melissa S. March 12, 2010 at 12:26 pm

oh, i love me some mustard. and hummus. mixed in huh? hrm…i always put hummun on my bread/toast when I have egg sandwiches but never thought to put them in…genius!

Ashlei March 12, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I am a mustard fiend also! Stone ground is my favorite!!

Stephanie March 12, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Ooooh! My favourite is Sierra Nevada Stout & Stone Ground Mustard. A close runner up is toasted maui onion mustard. I really like tempeh & cauliflower cooked in mustard, sage, and a little braggs. Roasted or stir fried are both good for me!

fartygirl March 12, 2010 at 1:14 pm

It makes sense. The highest rated vegan cheese recipe on veg.web contains nooch and mustard powder. Dark brown mustard is yummy all by itself anyway. Forget ketchup. Ketchup is YUCK!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 12, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Mustard lover! Although I guess I don’t use it that often… I think it’s great in salad dressing recipes, but I can’t think of any right now! I love the cumin-cinnamon vinaigrette dressing from ED&BV and that def. contains mustard. Basically, however, I’ve never liked mayo and so it was always mustard that ended up on my burgers – I guess I just associate it with sandwiches. :)

janetha March 12, 2010 at 1:49 pm

i LOVE mustard and grew up hating it. i feel like i missed out on so many good eats during all those years i hated it :P

Holly March 12, 2010 at 1:50 pm

don’t mess with my mustard. it’s been my condiment choice for years, which makes sense because i hate ketchup. nasto.

love me some dijon love!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 12, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Mmmm…I LOVE dijon with the whole mustard seeds in it– so crunchy and good! Gotta have that texture.

jenny (green food diaries) March 12, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I adore mustard, and use the exact kind you used. I make a similar vinagrette almost daily! 1/4 cup flax oil, 1 T mustard, 1 T tamari, 2 T apple cider vinegar. With lots of cayenne. Mmmm.

unrelated question – I know what coconut butter tastes like, but I was wondering if coconut oil had a “taste” too. I am considering buying coconut oil even though I have coconut butter because it food-combines as neutral… what is it like?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Jenny, Unrefined cold processed coconut oil does have a slightly coconutty taste, but I love it. It adds almost a bit of sweet to roasted veggies, and of course it’s wonderful in baked goods. It sometimes adds a little flavor, but not a lot.

vanessa March 12, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I used to DESPISE mustard, but after going through an ED I learned to love it (it’s calorie- and fat-free! *Groan*). Although I don’t use it as a replacement for more calorie/fat-rich condiments near as much as I once did, I still adore the stuff. Sometimes when I want a quick veggie dip or salad dressing and am feeling lazy, I’ll just mix a spoonful of stone-ground mustard with a drizzle of agave or honey (I suppose stevia would work as well) and a little water, and dip/douse away! Instant honey mustard :) .

jenny (green food diaries) March 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm

oh yes, vanessa in the above comment reminded me. I like to add a drop of stevia to 2-3 heaping T of plain yellow mustard too. Instant honey mustard! (kind of) Although it always leaves me feeling a little dehydrated due to all that sodium.

Gina G March 12, 2010 at 2:22 pm

i love mustard and djon….probably too much haha. i love emeril’s djon mustard, its not spicy but so creamy and delish! =)

Coco March 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I love mustard! It’s actually the only way I find sardines palatable — on rye crackers and drenched in yellow mustard. That probably sounds disgusting, but without those strong flavors I just can’t deal with the fishy/oiliness!

As for you ketchup haters, out there, I encourage you to try making your own sometime. My friends and I picked canned over a bushel of tomatoes last summer, and on a lark we made a big batch of ketchup. Spiked with a good amount of allspice, it was/is fantastic! It’s got a less eerily smooth texture than store-bought, and of course doesn’t have added sugar and corn syrup so it’s not as syrupy sweet. I’ll be sad when it’s gone, but I think by that time it’ll be tomato season again =)

Coco March 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm

meant to say picked *and* canned, oops!

Abi March 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm

How funny, I LOVE mustard and never expected a post on this!

Favorite: Stoneground!

My new kick is cooking up a batch of my favorite veggies with grass-fed beef. Top that with stoneground mustard mixed with plain yogurt. It’s good, really good.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I LOVE mustard- so hard to choose which one! Dijon tops the list, so does honey and spicy… but I like almost all of ‘em!!

xo
K

Elina March 12, 2010 at 3:27 pm

My favorite mustard is the grey poupon country dijon. I recently ran out of it and bought a dijon mustard from Ikea (supposedly a winner of some awards) but it’s too vinegary. I miss my grey poupon :(

Naomi(onefitfoodie) March 12, 2010 at 3:28 pm

MUSTARD LOVER! it is a staple! the best I have ever had was this local kind I got at a farmers market last summer it was cranberry, maple dijon mustard!! it was so amazing, finished in 5 days flat, no joke…my moms friend also made her own which I am intrigued to do!!

Jenna March 12, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Ah, so weird you are talking about mustard today of all days because I just got back from WF and went to pick up 365 Organic Dijon (my fav!) and they were out- none on the shelves! I make a mustard balsamic vinaigrette too with balsamic, a little olive oil, dijon, and honey or agave- so good on brussels.

VeggieGirl March 12, 2010 at 4:07 pm

WHOLE FOODS 365 ORGANIC DIJON MUSTARD ON BRUSSELS SPROUTS & SWEET POTATOES!!! Thanks to you, this is my routine dinner :)

Ellen March 12, 2010 at 4:16 pm

i love mustard, put it on anything and everything, and it’s always the base for quick vinaigrettes. it’s great in a marinade for chicken or toss a teaspoon or two with veggies before roasting (especially potatoes!). i like Maille dijon mustard and Boar’s head “delicatessan style” mustard with white wine. i’ve tried em all, and they are definitely the best!

Adam March 12, 2010 at 4:21 pm

You have to try Westbrae’s Sodium Free Mustard. I don’t miss the salt at all and i put it on everything! Very tasty.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 12, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Adam, I will as I love Westbrae’s ketchup!

Waking Up Hungry March 12, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I love mustard too and will put it on a lot of things considered odd. I will use too much mustard, but that’s OK with me! I love dijon mustard in Tuna salads!

Justine March 12, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I love mustard too! I forge tthe brand names, but there is a really yummy tarragon grainy mustard that I like and also a dill & honey mustard. I’ll get back to you on those brands. :)

EE March 12, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I am a mustard-LOVER. I enjoy it with hummus, barbecue sauce, Arby’s sauce (the red kind), tahini, teriyaki sauce . . . pretty much whatever. And it’s good with Bragg’s.

lindsayruns March 12, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Love it! We have 7 kinds right now. Kens honey is my current favorite, but whole seed spicy is my ultimate fave. And ground is needed in all tuna salads.

Jessica @ Fit & Clean March 12, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I love Weber’s Horseradish Mustard! It’s got a different taste, and it’s not hot. Unfortunately, I’ve only seen it sold in Western NY. I bring it back home with me to Atlanta when I visit!!

Whitney March 12, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Inglehoffer Stone Ground is good. I also like plain ol’ yellow mustard w/ eggs.

I also like “dipping” mustards, pepper mustards, horseradish mustards, and all mustards in general.

Monica March 12, 2010 at 9:30 pm

ahh! I’m seriously a mustard/hummus person. People sometimes judge me, but it is so freaking delish, they have no idea. I always spice my mixture up with a little (/a lot) of sriracha sauce too. Yum!

annecalista March 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I love mustard, but I’m not a huge fan of dijon because I don’t like horseradish and it often has some in it. I love homemade honey mustard :-)
I’ve been putting Brewer’s yeast on lots of stuff lately- so yummy and way more nutritious than parmesan cheese. It’s really good, as you know, on sauteed or roasted veggies.

yogiclarebear March 12, 2010 at 10:05 pm

ADORE mustard! my biggest fave is plain and simple grey poupon (creamy dijon) with maple. i love it on egg whites!

learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood March 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I really only like the yellow mustard, but I dont like French’s Mustard but will use it if it is all I have. I really like Plochman’s Mustard, it makes a great addition to ALOT of my sandwiches and meals!!
I am really suprised that all of you guys like Mustard, because my family absolutely detests the stuff!! :(

ProteinGirl March 12, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I am the mustard and salsa queen. I but at least 3-5 bottles A WEEK, and the big Heinz bulk size at Costco every 3wks. As for salsa, as shown prior on my blog, I have what would be truly classified as an addiction. As in JUGS (2 Litres minimum) every week. I love grain mustards, yellow, spicy, dijon etc. It’s sad how many ‘back up’ “just incase the world comes to an end” mustards and salsas I have hidden around my apartment. lol
Barbara

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition March 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I love honey mustard!!

Cat March 13, 2010 at 12:11 am

So I’m going to be the one comment to be wishy-washy about it. I’m a huge foodie that loves all sorts of weird things, much like Ms. Heab, but I don’t really dig mustard. It’s ….okay. I eat it. I don’t hate it. But if I only ever encountered good old-fashioned yellow (French’s!) I’d be totally okay with it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 13, 2010 at 12:28 am

OMG it’s been a mustard-gasm just reading thru everyone’s suggestions…there’s nothing i could add other than to say have a wonderful weekend, Heather!

Vicki March 13, 2010 at 5:59 am

I’ve been putting dijon mustard in my eggs for a couple of years now. Love it. This past winter I discovered marmite (yeast spread). If you like mustard and the savory side, give marmite a try. It has a strong smell and taste but is super tasty.

Brett March 13, 2010 at 6:20 am

I couldn’t resist posting this. Words of warning maybe?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2010 at 7:26 am

Brett, Yes, I saw that. Another reader posted it is as well. Too funny. I promise I won’t be getting on the mustard message boards anytime soon. ;)

Carolyn March 13, 2010 at 7:03 am

Used to be addicted to Honeycup…

Now it’s any mustard pretty much.. Dijon is my favorite.. when i eat good old french fires, seldomly but.. i eat them dipped in mustard not katsup…

When i was a kid my favorite sammy was white bread, fritos, old fashioned loaf, and mustard.. smushed… and now we all know why i used to be fat..

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2010 at 7:27 am

Carolyn, Mine was bread, packaged corned beef, mustard, cheese and smushed Doritos. :)

Gabriela (froyolover) March 13, 2010 at 8:43 am

Two words: HOLY YUM! ;)

Ariffa March 13, 2010 at 10:09 am

I love to slather it on salmon and broil it mmmm

Jin March 14, 2010 at 12:12 am

Ever since I tried maple dijon roasted brussel sprouts, I used the vinaigrette for other roast veggies. Cannot get enough! I LOVE dijon mustard. SO GOOD.
Try: http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2010/01/maple-dijon-roasted-brussels-sprouts.html

You won’t be disappointed!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 14, 2010 at 7:45 am

Thanks Jin, This sounds delicious!

Susan March 14, 2010 at 7:49 am

I love mustard, but strictly yellow mustard. Honey is too sweet, and I don’t like the gritty taste of dijon. I made a mustard hummus a while back that was awesome (ie just threw a bunch in the food processor with chickpeas). Made for a good dipper for pickles too ;)

Kendall March 15, 2010 at 2:47 am

Hi Heather! Haven’t commented in awhile. I am a HUGE mustard lover! However, haven’t really eaten it as a sauce for veggies really, or mixed with hummus but I love the ideas! I usually just have it as a very large slather for any type of sandwich/burger type concoction. Usually with hummus for that matter so I guess I have inadvertently mixed the two! I love a good stone ground dijon type, a horseradish type and…well at any given time I probably have about 5 diff kinds in my fridge! Always use some dijon as the emulsifier for a good salad dressing (my fav is olive oil, dijon, some rice vinegar and some TJ’s orange or grapefruit vinegar). Also a favorite snack is fancy/fun mustard with good quality pretzels. The other day I found apple cider mustard with ginger and cinnamon (its spicy/sweet- but not too sweet!) at the store. Was really hungry so threw some Newmans Own organic pretzel sticks in the cart and enjoyed a few dipped in that mustard in the car before heading home! That’s also one of my fav’s for entertaining, when I find an especially interesting mustard that is! I’ve been meaning to give wasabi mustard a try…

sarah March 16, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I love me some mustard! You must try Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Honey Spice Mustard. I can’t be without it anymore. I order it online because since I moved from CA to NY it’s nowhere to be found on shelves.

all their others are good too but the pale ale is the BEST

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 17, 2010 at 7:07 am

Thanks Sarah, I’ll be on the lookout!