Asian Infused Porridge

by HEAB on March 13, 2010

Wow, I had no idea there were so many mustard enthusiasts out there. Happy to hear I’m not alone and thanks for all your favorite brand choices and recipes. For dinner last night, I made Sonia’s new favorite mustard recipe but subbed apple cider vinegar for the lemon juice and ghee for the olive oil. Delicious Sonia! I ate it with a wild Alaskan salmon burger and after the photo, proceeded to cover my entire plate in more Dijon mustard. Seriously, I cannot get enough.

Remember my Asian Fusion Oatmeal? I revisited the recipe yesterday using a new grain. Reader Kathleen was kind enough to re-stock my quickly dwindling teff supply. She also sent me some peppermint tea and a bag of sorghum grains. Thanks Kathleen!

Have you ever tried sorghum? It’s gluten free and primarily used as a flour or made into sweet syrup. You can even pop it. Can’t wait to try that one. However, yesterday, I wanted to make a warm porridge with my new grain. So, after soaking the grains for several hours, I drained them and cooked 1/2 cup of the sorghum on the stove-top with 1 and 1/2 cups water. After about 20 minutes, I had a warm chewy wonderful hot cereal. I couldn’t decide between sweet or savory toppings, and so I went with both. I stirred about 2 tsp of brown rice miso paste into the porridge and then topped it with 1 TBSP of tahini and 1 tsp of raw honey. It hit the spot, and is such an amazing combo that I should eat more often!

I so love experimenting with gluten-free grains. My body seems to tolerate gluten, but I know it causes inflammation in so many. It just sounds like something our bodies probably weren’t meant to eat in large amounts. So far, I’ve tried quinoa, buckwheat, millet, teff, & now sorghum. I think millet might be my favorite, but I still need to try amaranth. What is your favorite gluten free grain? Are there any I’ve missed?

Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 13, 2010 at 8:48 am

There are so many grains I’ve tried in the past 6 months and so many more I want to try! I can’t believe how many there are out there that I never even heard of before…with sorghum being one of them! thanks for introducing me to another one!

Evan Thomas March 13, 2010 at 8:48 am

Sorghum is my favorite gluten free grain. i didn’t realize you could pop it though! It’s great in Bob’s Red Mill’s mixes

VeggieGirl March 13, 2010 at 8:52 am

Buckwheat is my favorite!

jaclyn@todayslady March 13, 2010 at 8:57 am

I haven’t tried too many types of gluten free grains but I love quinoa and you can’t forget about short grain brown rice!! I really want to try buckwheat and millet!

Danielle March 13, 2010 at 8:59 am

I love trying gluten-free grains too just because I like variety. Have you tried Amaranth? It’s pretty tasty but those little grains get EVERYwhere. They cook quickly though!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2010 at 9:29 am

Danielle, Nope, never tried amaranth, but only because I can’t find it anywhere.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 13, 2010 at 9:05 am

OMG let me know how it is popped. I can’t imagine that anything rival popcorn,but I’m always willing to try!

homecookedem March 13, 2010 at 9:12 am

I’ve never tried (plain) buckwheat, millet, teff, OR sorghum! I need to check all of those out. Andrew and I love quinoa, gluten free oatmeal, and of course any kind of rice or corn product. Your porridge combo looks great!! :)

Gina March 13, 2010 at 9:13 am

I am with you, I LOVE millet. I usually make a big pot of it on Sunday, and eat it as a quick dinner throughout the week. Its just yummy.

Nicole March 13, 2010 at 9:19 am

Oh I’m so glad you posted this. I haven’t tried sorghum as a cereal but I’ve had it in the flour mixes I’ve used to make breads and baked goods.
I haven’t tried millet or teff yet either and I’m thinking I’m going to have to order the teff online since I can’t seem to find it.
I’m not a huge mustard girl so I had nothing to add to yesterday’s post, but I might have to try some of the ideas I saw in the comments section!
Oh and I will be sharing my experience on making my own coconut butter this weekend. All the HEAB lovin credit will be going your way! You (and CD of course) are geniuses!

Heather March 13, 2010 at 9:34 am

Quinoa is my favorite, with amaranth and buckwheat in close second. You must try amaranth…it reminds me of grits/oat bran/quinoa all in one. Amazing texture. I know the Pure2Raw twins eat it with turmeric since turmeric has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. Amaranth+Indian spices=so delicious. Oh and Brendan Brazier has a Popped Amaranth recipe in Thrive using coconut oil that is so so good.

Jenny R. March 13, 2010 at 10:03 am

Buckwheat!!!!! your meals look amazing

jenny March 13, 2010 at 10:06 am

Quinoa! That sounds like the tamest of all the options… I’m going to have to branch out!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 13, 2010 at 10:17 am

Millet is by far my favorite :)
I saw popped sorghum on “bizarre foods” not too long ago, and think its just so freaking cool! It’s like teeny tiny popcorn!

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini March 13, 2010 at 10:19 am

I can tolerate gluten but that doesn’t mean I have to! I love quinoa and buckwheat. I’ve never tried sorghum but if I can find it I will. :)

Graze With Me March 13, 2010 at 10:24 am

I’ve recently discovered a gluten intolerance , especially when I eat whole wheat breads, tortillas or pitas. It’s unfortunate but it’s really nice to know that there are so many other options out there when I’m craving something “carby”.

Ameena March 13, 2010 at 10:27 am

My favorite gluten-free grain is quinoa. I have no idea how I lived without it for so long! I love it more than rice or anything else I’ve tried so far. I haven’t tried sorghum yet.

Lindsay March 13, 2010 at 10:40 am

I love Teff and I’ve used sorghum flour before but never the grain. Lots looks so good. I will have to try it with tahini, which I am need to go get more of. I have a tahini addiction. YUM! Thanks Heather!

Lindsay March 13, 2010 at 10:41 am

Oh and I think I’m tied with Teff and Quinoa for my favorite!

Jessica March 13, 2010 at 10:46 am

That looks delicious, Heather! I have never really experimented with many grains – only quinoa. I’d like to try more, though!

fartygirl March 13, 2010 at 10:52 am

I keep seeing salba in Whole Foods. I keep waiting for it to pop up in one of your posts! I have no idea what it is… it looks a lot like teff.

Anyway, I’m w. you… millet is probably one of my faves. It has the same light and airy sweetness as corn. Buckwheat is a close second.

Does millet beat oats for you? I know most people don’t consider oats gluten free, but I do. It’s our stupid US food manufacturing system that coats them with gluten.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2010 at 11:10 am

Farty, Salba is nothing but white chia seeds…I think, and nope, as much as I love millet, oat bran is my #1 grain of choice. :)

Leah Z March 13, 2010 at 10:54 am

I lovee buckwheat as a hot cereal, and millet is great savory I think…my favorite thing to do with it is cook it up super creamy, add then add peas, a bit of butter, and parmesean cheese…its like millet risotto!!

Kelly March 13, 2010 at 11:05 am

Currently may favorite gluten-free grain is Quinoa! I have been having Quinoa “oatmeal” every morning this week and I am in heaven with a happy digestive system! (I am gluten- intolerant)

GirlonRaw March 13, 2010 at 11:32 am

Wow I haven’t even heard of those grains, but I just read this article here http://www.vancouversun.com/health/foods+future/2665725/story.html on how ancient grains are on the comeback so I’ll guess I see more of them. I guess you just gotta be adventurous and try them out.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 13, 2010 at 11:43 am

BUCKWHEAT! I love the stuff! I also love quinoa, but buckwheat is the best!!!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 13, 2010 at 11:43 am

I love g-free grain! I did a g-free trial, and I did feel better, but not 100%- so I try to stay away from too much gluten… I try to have no more than 0-2 servings per day, and I have felt a lot better! I LOVE quinoa, it is my alltime fave. Brown rice, millet, amaranth, buckwheat… love ‘em all! I have not tried teff or sorghum, but I would love to!

xo
K

Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce March 13, 2010 at 12:16 pm

oh boy i love asian inspired meals, porridge is amazing!! have a great weekend :)

Katie March 13, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I’ve tried a ton of grains, but nothing beats a well-cooked quinoa. I’ve also been really into polenta lately (not the pre-made stuff in the tubes). It is great with that cashew cheese sauce that I made a few days ago, and is good sweet too.

So glad you gave the under-appreciated condiment some deserved loving yesterday!

katyainsf March 13, 2010 at 1:07 pm

You know I’ll be trying that grain now! hehe from the looks of it – it must have been soso good! I love experimenting too! :-) )

kathleen March 13, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I love millet and I’ve used spelt flour, but I’m curious about cooking spelt berries. I think that might be gluten free…

Heather March 13, 2010 at 1:41 pm

such an interesting combo! i’m trying to find recipes for spelt berries…i bought some the other week b/c they looked interesting and now i can’t find a recipe to use them with! :)

Meg's Gut March 13, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Gluten free oats would be my favourite!
I love quinoa though, it’s definitely up in the rankings with gf oats.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm

sorghum is an ingredient in commercially prepared GF flour mixes, i.e. Bobs red mill GF blends. You can always just grind it yourself.
Amaranth is nice and you can use it IN other recipes after you pop it. If you ever read Brendan Brazier’s Thrive diet, he has tons of recipes for GF grains, including amaranth, sorghum, etc and you would love it b/c he’s a no sweeteners kind of guy. You’ve probably read his books but they have great recipes even if you dont agree w/ his ideology, his recipes rock.

Have a great day Heather!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I love quinoa but I am dying to try millet!

musingsofthegranolagirl March 13, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I’ve never tried sorghum but it looks great!

& i’m definitely a mustard lover :)

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine March 13, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you liked the recipe!! I’m going to try it with carrots, zucch, and bell peppers next… :)

I love quinoa!! I also like millet, but I’ve only had it in bread form- must try it another way soon!

Laura March 13, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Kathleen- unfortunately spelt isn’t gluten free, its just an ancient, non-hybridised relative of modern wheat. I think I may have gone through most of the available gluten free grains- and loved them… yes, quinoa, teff, wild rice (expensive!), millet, amaranth are all favourites. But how did you get to cook your sorghum cook in 15 minutes?! Wonder woman, Heather, mine took 60 min with presoaking ;( He He you just reminded me of some serious cooking failures- whilst my popped sorghum got a little burnt, when attempting to pop amaranth I sprayed the kitchen with tiny, hot coals and managed to make the room smell like a bonfire! Have you tried purple corn grits/flour or breadnut flour?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Laura, I have never tried purple corn grits/flour or breadnut flour. I’ll be on the lookout! I don’t how my sorghum cooked in 20 minutes. I soaked for about 7 hours and kept the pot covered while it cooked.

missyrayn March 13, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I love quinoa and buckwheat. I use buckwheat flour for my pancakes to fill me up more.

Leah March 13, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I am so happy to be eating healthier thanks to you & your blog! Thank you for introducing me to new foods that I wouldve never thought to try!

I accidentally bought rolled oats instead of oat bran the other day. I will have to try some of the other grains – looks delicious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Leah, You’re welcome. Thanks for reading!

Juliet March 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm

That looks SO yummy!!! What type of salmon burger do you buy?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm

The Trident Seafoods Wild Alaskan salmon burgers. We buy them in bulk at Costco. Love them!

Ricki March 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I do love quinoa, though not usually for breakfast. And, of course, I adore oats! ;) I’ve never tried sorghum as a grain–it looks so good! Hoping we can get it here. . .

eatmovelove March 13, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Variety is the spice of life. I’m not G-Free, but like trying new things. But I guess Whole-Wheat is still tops. It’s great there’s lots of options out there though.

I read a study recently though that those who just eliminate gluten entirely from their diet without having Celiac’s or a severe intolerance – are actually at increased risk of stomach and digestive issues – it decreases the amount of healthy bacteria in our stomachs that can deal with all the normal functions the body is meant to do….could also be because people who eliminate without any REAL reason usually have some type of eating “issues” or go on extreme weird or restrictive diets…

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Eatmovelove, That’s interesting. I’ve never heard of a negative result from avoiding gluten. Only positive things. I’d like to read that study – do you remember where you read it?

Christine March 13, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I am in grain experimentation mode and millet is next on my list! I am so glad it’s your favorite. I have a long way to go..but my favorite so far is quinoa. Amaranth is high on my list too! I also don’t have a gluten sensitivity but I love eating grains that we know are soo much healthier AND just as tasty. I met someone a while back that was obsessed with amaranth pancakes…I know you are a pancake lover, so I would love to know if you ever experiment w/ amaranth pancakes…I would definitely trust your opinion!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Christine, I have to find some amaranth first, but when I do, pancakes are definitely tops on my list! :)

Cherie March 13, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Can’t wait to try the mustard…on everything! My kids & I LOVE those Salmon Burgers too, they’re addicting!! I clicked on one of your links about the sorghum and had no idea that so many places had sorghum festivals. Well, I need to start trying some of these GF grains.

Deadra March 13, 2010 at 11:25 pm

When I was little there were these weeds that grew where I lived, we called them pig weeds and my grannie would freak us out and cook them, and now I’ve learned they’re where amaranth comes from. Anyhow I cook it up mixed with millet and brown rice, makes a nice sticky combo, and my toddler loves it. I’ll roll it into little balls for her and she’ll munch on them! I do love quinoa the best of all of the grains, need to try some more though.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heathee March 14, 2010 at 12:20 am

I think my favorite would have to be quinoa, but I do love using millet flour. It’s got a nice sweet flavor to it.

Katrina (gluten free gidget) March 14, 2010 at 5:55 am

I’m a quinoa kid, myself. Thanks for spreading the word about those awesome GF grains!

Allie (Protein Girl) March 14, 2010 at 6:38 am

Can’t wait to hear more about sorghum. I’ve wanted to buy some for my gluten-free baking adventures!

eatmovelove March 14, 2010 at 8:19 am

Yep, I’ll try to look it up later when I have time :) …i’m busy all day :( …but yeah, generally your right. Again, I think it has to do with people doing it for the “Wrong reasons” and just not being healthy or too overly restrictive and “extreme” overall

glidingcalm March 14, 2010 at 8:59 am

you always introduce me to new foods and grains! i just love it!!

and I am a huge mustard fan, but unfortunately ketchup as well- which has so much sugar and sodium!! I would like to try making both from scratch though!

happy Sunday mama!

Pure2Raw twins March 14, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Love how you try gluten free grains!!!! You know that is all we eat :) We love millet and amaranth the best!! Than quinoa and buckwheat…. ok we love them all!

Kendall March 15, 2010 at 3:44 am

Gotta love the grains! I’ve actually never tried Teff yet, been meaning to, I hear great things! I’m interested in all those who say they like buckwheat. I’ve used the flour (love it!) but never eaten the actual groats. Will do that soon too! Same with sorghum, used the flour but never eaten the grain straight up! I definitely love millet and quinoa, those are staples. And can’t forget about good old brown rice! Not unique but talk about the ultimate ancient grain. I buy in mega bulk becuase one of my pups has frequent digestive issues and cooked with chix/turkey for a few days is his cure all! Someone mentioned spelt, it’s not G-free but it has less gluten than wheat- often ok for those with wheat allergies/sensitivities but not celiac. I love the flour- makes great pancakes and good for baking, has a mild nutty flavor!

Holly March 15, 2010 at 7:01 am

I’m a fan of quinoa. My husband has dubbed my breakfast quinoa “PBQ”–peanut butter quinoa. Delish–I’ve also started adding coconut butter to my hot quinoa in the mornings. Adds a little sweet to the dish. (1/2 cup quinoa rinsed, 1 cup water, simmered for ~15 minutes- add a scoop of rice protein and some PB and/or coconut butter at the end of cooking) It’s been my oatmeal replacement since I can’t have that anymore (allergies).

Gena March 15, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I adore GF grains! Millet, amaranth and quinoa are the faves :)

Kate March 18, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Personally, I am not a big amaranth fan, but maybe I just haven’t had it prepared right yet. I love baking with sorghum flour though!! And love making all kinds of conoctions with quinoa (both savory & sweet) . One of my favorites (although it’s more for fall) is quinoa with a little apple cider in the cooking water, pumpkin pie spice, dried cranberries and chopped pistachios – WOW!