Corn Cake McGriddle

by HEAB on March 14, 2010

Happy Pancake Sunday!

Mae was the inspiration behind this morning’s pancake extravaganza. I followed her recipe for Corn Cakes but tweaked it just a bit. I didn’t have oat bran flour, and instead used 3 TBSP of oat bran ground up in the Magic Bullet. I used blue corn meal and added a few drops of maple extract to the batter, skipping the stevia/sugar…how many more days of Lent?!? ;)

I love the concept of a McDonald’s McGriddle, that savory/sweet combo of bacon, egg, and maple syrup reminds me of the big family breakfasts my dad used to make every Sunday morning. So, I present to you a HEAB-style McGriddle…

1 corn cake topped with a smear of butter, 2 slices of bacon, 1 fried egg, and a drizzle of maple syrup…10 x’s better than McDonald’s if you ask me. :)

What kind of pancakes did you make this morning?

Jenny March 14, 2010 at 9:08 am

That looks sooooo much better than anything mcdonalds could make! Congrats on another kitchen success:)

fartygirl March 14, 2010 at 9:20 am

McGriddles are bangin’!!!! I used to make them with Trader Joe’s cheddar soy cheese and tofu – which I know would bother your tum. But yeah, I’m totally feelin’ you with the salty/sweet combination of the McG’s.

Also – great idea to mix corn and oat bran in the pancake! Oat bran adds a lovely bulk and fluffiness to pancakes, but it would be nice to have it more ground in and part of the flour. Corn is such a sweet flour. I can see it all coming together very well. :) Good one!

faeren March 14, 2010 at 9:35 am

wow, that look amazing. Wish I had stopped by right when it was finished! :)

hairinmycoffee.com

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 14, 2010 at 9:37 am

that looks A M A Z I N G I am totally with you on the McGriddle idea… savory and sweet… yes please!!

balancejoyanddelicias March 14, 2010 at 9:52 am

can I come over for breakfast? I want to make pancakes too but my hunger or anxiety always win in the morning, so I chose something that can be ready in <5min.

Mae March 14, 2010 at 9:59 am

This looks amazing Heather!! I love sweet/savory ocmbinations, and the maple extract in the batter is genius. I love eggs on anything, I bet they’re amazing on corn cakes. I can’t wait to try this! (with sour cherry spread ;-) )

Tamizn March 14, 2010 at 10:28 am

Looks delish I think I gotta try this, I love quinoa and my new favorite is buckwheat grots they make a mean protein bar! x

foodcents March 14, 2010 at 10:38 am

I can not reall do sweet in the morning, just doesn’t mesh with my body well.

We often to Sunday Night Pancake dinners, which are a good way to end the weekend.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 14, 2010 at 10:49 am

YUM what a great breakfast!
I’m doing blueberry oat pancakes this a.m…. well, its more like brunch than breakfast…

Ameena March 14, 2010 at 11:18 am

I wish I had pancakes this morning but it just seemed like too involved of a project to take on. I had a bowl of cereal instead!

Erica March 14, 2010 at 11:23 am

What a fabulous Sunday morning breakfast! Little savory little sweet. We went out to brunch (our new Sunday am tradition). Josh got multigrain pancakes and I had an apple, yogurt & granola parfait! Hope the rest of your day goes well.

homecookedem March 14, 2010 at 11:31 am

OOHHhhhhhh!! That looks great!! I made mcgriddle pancake roll ups for Katie’s contest a few weeks ago. Your’s looks way better!! Yum!! :)

Bekah March 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

This is one of my favorite pictures ever ever ever ever! Gaahhhh I love it! Sunny side up.
I didn’t make pancakes this morning but I had pumpkin protein powder puree! (Closest thing to kabocha protein custard. :( ) Boo. I’ve seen kabocha in the store room (the HUGE food refrigerator where all the food is kept) and I’m pretty sure you can order from there. I am working on it!

Kelly March 14, 2010 at 11:36 am

YUM!! That looks so good!!

Marina March 14, 2010 at 11:41 am

This looks amazing, I love everything with corn in it :)

Justine March 14, 2010 at 11:53 am

That breakfast looks ridiculously amazing! Corn cakes are now on my to do list for today!

Claire March 14, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Holy Moly!I wish I saw this before I had breakfast.Dinner perhaps.hehe…

Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 14, 2010 at 12:47 pm

That looks amazing!

Jessica March 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm

All along I’ve thought oat bran flour just IS oat bran grounded up?! Is there really an oat bran flour? We had regular ole’ pancakes today. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 14, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Jessica, Apparently, there really is.

christie @ honoring health March 14, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Yum, I am thinking of having pancakes for dinner tonight. Sounds like it would really hit the spot on this rainy evening!

Gracie @ GirlMeetsHealth March 14, 2010 at 1:32 pm

yessss! I’m lovin’ it ;) (pun intended….haha I’m such a dork). That seriously looks unreal. YUM!

caronae March 14, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Looks wonderful Heather. I need me some bacon. Now. And sadly, I made no pancakes this morning — too lazy. Although I did have an amazing bowl of oats with banana, almond butter, and chocolate chips!

Justine March 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I made Trader Joes buttermilk for Justin :) . I had a tiny bite and they were yummy!

Justine

Heather March 14, 2010 at 2:24 pm

sadly there were no pancakes for me this morning :( was running a little behind and did a bagel with cream cheese instead. pancakes for dinner perhaps? i think so! (p.s. i am doing a Lent countdown right now…all I want is a slab of meat and can’t have any!)

Katie March 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm

When I was growing up I used to get pancakes, eggs and bacon everytime we went out for breakfast, and I’d douse my entire plate in maple syrup. I think I may have to have this for dinner today!

Carolyn March 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm

no cakea, but a darn fine bowl of oat bran topped with honey roasted sunflower seed buttah…

Lindsay March 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Now thats a meal worth getting up earlier for! I bet it’d go well with tahini too….yum!

BroccoliHut March 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Delicious! I might have to try this with tempeh bacon:)

A Different Evan March 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm

You’re making me love you again HEAB. Every time I log on, it’s like you’re reading my mind. I’ve been on a pancake tear recently for my kids. They want chocloate chip pancakes, but I feel guilty being the only one in the family eating right. Whole wheat, Flax-filled pancake mix was a bust. Then, trying to spike the (smoother) Quaker Oatmeal pancake mix with soy flour was another bust. Now I spike it with “sweet dairy whey” powder, just to up the protein, I sweeten with apple sauce, use mini chocolate chips instead of the standard Toll House size, and the kids love them. I feel like we’ve reached a balance. When the box of mix runs out, I’m going to start mixing my own flours and leaveners.

In other news, I’ve eaten coconut butter twice a day all this week. It mixed delightfully with wasabi and teriyaki sauce, though the “sauce” was pasty. How to loosen?

Can’t wait to try your McGriddle.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Evan, Did you stop ever stop loving me? ;)

So happy to hear you’ve found a balance with your kids and pancakes. I’m sure you’ll have fun experimenting making them from scratch. It’s so easy and gives you much more control over the ingredients.

I love that you added wasabi and teriyaki sauce to your coconut butter – that would taste amazing on some chicken! To make less you butter less pasty, put it in your blender for a few minutes. Apparently, the smaller blades in a blender will smooth out the butter after it comes out of the food processor, or you could try adding a little coconut oil.

Melissa March 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Delicious!!!

christina March 14, 2010 at 7:45 pm

wow. wow wow wow. that is seriously one of the yummiest food pics i’ve seen on a blog. EVER.

eatmovelove March 14, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Creative. So how is your Lent going anyways? Are you missing your Stevia &/or sugar (not that you ate much of it anyways!)…if you decide to continue with it, feel free to send all such containing products to me ;)

Oh -and with regards to yesterday about the Gluten Free Diet and how it can be a “negative” thing for those who don’t have severe intolerances/Celiac’s – > as I mentioned it’s related to decreasing healthy bacteria in the gut- namely probiotics…below is something I copied:

“The Spanish National Research council has concluded individuals who follow a gluten-free diet are more likely to experience a decrease in gastrointestinal health.

Although a recent study of 10 people was a small sampling, these otherwise health individuals experienced a decrease in Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus; these naturally-occuring bacteria have been linked to gastrointestinal health and increased immunity. The declining presence of these bacteria could lead to a decrease in the individual’s overall immunity and digestive disorders.”

So yeah another study explained that essentially it may have to do with probiotics – certain – being more dominant in polysaccharides – of which G-Free products are limited in…

Anyways!! I’m no researcher or whatever – nor am I concerned!! Just found it interesting that’s all!! And of course studies are small.

I think just do what works for you. I just caution against people who think this is an answer to problems when it really isn’t – alot of people use it as a method to cover restrictive issues when they really don’t need to – that’s all.

As for me – I like it all -….so what do I care haha :)

Oh – and do you think you could sell these McGriddles to MickeyD’s?? ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 14, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Eatmovelove, Thanks for the info. I am missing my stevia sweetened protein powder but other than that, not so much. Plus, my cravings for sweets have gone WAY down.

Jessica @ Fit & Clean March 14, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I brought up your site, looked at the pic, and was like whoaaaa! Instant hungry! That looks FANTASTIC! I gave my kids pancakes in the shape of the sun with molds from Williams Sonoma. They were 7 grain…but booooring compared to yours, LOL!

theprocessofhealing March 14, 2010 at 8:41 pm

YUM!!! I love anything savory and sweet so I bet that is fabulous!!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heathee March 14, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I love corn cakes! I made one with smashed banana and oats a couple days ago. Heavenly, oh so heavenly

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I’ve never tried a mc griddle but I adore sweet/savory together so I may have to try something like this! Thanks!

Mimi Honeycutt March 15, 2010 at 12:07 am

Oh sweetie you just made my day! I LOVE sweet-and-savory breakfasts…but when the sweet and savory are really strong. VIVE LE BACON!

brittac March 15, 2010 at 12:38 am

McHeabs looks wonderful!

Emily March 15, 2010 at 2:51 am

Wow that looks great! Look how crispy the bacon looks! I want.

Kendall March 15, 2010 at 4:03 am

Ok Heather, are you ready for this? Given your love of coconut I suggest you try these. I’ve noticed that you’ve been to Heidi’s blog before- she’s wonderful. And her cookbook is really great. http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/coconut-macaroon-pancakes-recipe.html These have been a real hit with friends. For these I think classic maple syrup is the best topping however I also like them with apple butter- my topping of choice for my favorite pancakes: pumpkin-walnut with spelt flour. Apple (or pear) butter atop pancakes is really great! Yikes- I’ve inundated you with mega-long comments tonight!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 15, 2010 at 6:44 am

Kendall, I love your comments and thanks for the recipe. Still laughing at the image of you busting into some Newman’s pretzels before leaving the store to try your new mustard. Haha – I love it.

fitandfortysomething March 15, 2010 at 7:14 am

oh gosh those look so good! no pancakes we were at a mt. bike race super early in the morn. maybe next sunday is i am lucky!
have to tell you….my sis has lost 80 pounds the “right” way-eating whole, nutritious foods and i turned her on to kabocha-because of how much you love it and she loves it! can’t live without it :)

Cherie March 15, 2010 at 7:45 am

That actually looks really yummy!!

EE March 15, 2010 at 8:04 am

I’m crazy/kookoo for corn cakes. Yum!

Jennifer Trigo March 15, 2010 at 8:30 am

EEK. I am allergic to corn…and wheat…:( everything is made of corn these days…and wheat…

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 15, 2010 at 9:56 am

Jennifer, Not everything! Plenty of corn and gluten free pancake recipes on my recipe page: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/ :)

eatmovelove March 15, 2010 at 8:36 am

Oh – I forgot to mention – @ that “hole-in-the-wall” tiny expensive store that I can get to once a blue moon?…I found Coconut Mango Butter!! Who knew? Haven’t tried it yet though…

and still waiting for your recipe books ;)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) March 15, 2010 at 9:21 am

that looks a gazillion times better than mcdonalds, in fact mcdonalds never looked good to me, but these, ohhhh these :)

Jaya March 15, 2010 at 9:23 am

Heather, did you know that one of the biggest recent high-end dessert trends has been the maple/bacon combo? I’ve seen a lot of maple bacon ice cream, brittle, and I even got a bacon dark chocolate bar a few weeks ago! So, I think that you’re on to something with the sweet/salty combo :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 15, 2010 at 9:57 am

Jaya, Was it the Vosges bar? I tried it a couple of years ago – sounded so good in theory, but I thought it tasted a bit funky. However, I would love to try maple bacon ice-cream. Hmm, might be time to get out my ice-cream maker again. :)

janetha March 15, 2010 at 9:44 am

i’m lovin’ it.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 15, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I agree – the McGriddle idea seems like a good one. I just don’t want McDonald’s making my food! Your version is 10x better without even having tasted it. I didn’t make pancakes this weekend – I had a diner do it for me. :)