Happy St. Patrick's Day

by HEAB on March 17, 2010

You guys know I love green food. :)

Remember my avocado banana wrap?

and my key lime oat bran with coconut milk ice-cream?

Well, this morning, I wanted to create a lovely green breakfast in honor of the holiday. So, I went for a classic: Green Eggs & Ham….HEAB style.

I envisioned this beautiful green frittata. Um, yeah, not quite…

Ha-ha – I can’t help but laugh every time I look at this photo. You gotta give me points for effort, no? So, first up, I fried 1/2 a chopped granny smith apple with 1 slice of bacon. In my Vita-Mix, I blended 2 eggs with 1 handful of spinach (a la Allie), and poured the eggs into my skillet with the bacon and apple. Everything went downhill when I tried to flip my omelet/frittata…whatever it was. After it was done, I managed to get it on plate and added a drizzle of maple syrup. It was like a smoked apple maple bacon egg thingy. Sounds weird. Looks even weirder, but was the perfect combination of savory and sweet in my opinion.

Off to begin my day and find something green to wear. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie March 17, 2010 at 8:10 am

Happy Green Day, Heather!
What if we put green food coloring in coconut butter and called it a day?
That’s the only green food I feel like eating at the moment.
Oh heck, I’d be happy to just eat that for the rest of my life ;)

Chocolate-Covered Katie March 17, 2010 at 8:11 am

(But I wouldn’t say no to some of that key lime oat bran!!)

Evan Thomas March 17, 2010 at 8:15 am

Oh dear lord that’s green! I have to give you props just for coming up with a combo like that.
Of course I’m enjoying some avocado in my breakfast via pudding :-)

Jessica @ How Sweet March 17, 2010 at 8:16 am

That fritatta is SUPER green! I actually think it is a really pretty color!

Jenn March 17, 2010 at 8:17 am

That looks good. (I like savory and sweet.) When I made green eggs I just cheated and used (gasp) colors of some #. Using spinach is a good idea!

hair in my coffee March 17, 2010 at 8:21 am

yum!!! Have you tried the avacado popsicle at Las Paletas?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 17, 2010 at 8:22 am

Hair in my coffee,
Yes, it’s my favorite flavor! I’d eat one everyday if I worked across the street. :)

musingsofthegranolagirl March 17, 2010 at 8:25 am

How delicious! GREEEEEN eggs :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 17, 2010 at 8:25 am

hahaha, you’re so cute :) you definitely get LOTS of effort points in my book! the only thing green i ate this morning was…oh, wait, i haven’t eaten anything green today! (yet) :)

gina (fitnessista) March 17, 2010 at 8:37 am

happy st pattys day, heaby!
i LOVE the fritatta thing- it looks amazing
hope you have a wonderful day <3

Jen March 17, 2010 at 8:50 am

Hey Heather!

Unless you’re set on flipping your frittata, try throwing it in the oven at 350F, right after you add the eggs to the pan. It’ll puff up nicely and once it’s done cooking, it should just slide right out and onto your plate!

Loving the green eggs! I was thinking your “Eggs in a Nest” this morning, but may go for this instead! :)

Jen

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 17, 2010 at 8:55 am

Thanks for the tip Jen!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl March 17, 2010 at 8:55 am

Pretty, green yummy treats! Great job, Heather!! :-D

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!!

Hugs,
Michele

Jaya March 17, 2010 at 9:06 am

I love your dedication to the cause! The key lime/coconut milk ice cream combo looks amazing! Have a great day :)

n.D. March 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

Yum for all the greens! Love it! :)

glidingcalm March 17, 2010 at 9:12 am

what yummy, pretty GREEN FOOD! :)

HAPPY ST PATTY’S DAY HEABER!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 17, 2010 at 9:37 am

That is awesome! I love that other people have weird meals that maybe aren’t so pretty, but are mighty darn tasty! Your green omelet thingy looks DELICIOUS! Happy St. Patty’s Day!

frompartytohearty March 17, 2010 at 9:51 am

Lol i couldn’t hold back from laughing at the green photo too! But really, when would green eggs and ham look pretty? I bet it was delicious anyways! Way to be creative!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope March 17, 2010 at 9:52 am

hahah that banana/avocado wrap sounds/looks disgustingggg

Ana March 17, 2010 at 9:55 am

Love green food too and I think the color of your eggs today is super!! Looks yummy to me!
Happy St. Patrick’s day!

skinnyrunner March 17, 2010 at 10:00 am

i give you points for creativity but that does look gross. :) im sure it tasted good though!

Kelly March 17, 2010 at 10:26 am

Definite points for effort! But that banana avacado wrap stole the show for me! YUM!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 17, 2010 at 10:43 am

yeah, that fritatta is pretty hideous

Christie @ Honoring Health March 17, 2010 at 10:44 am

*giggle*

Good try :D

Carbzilla March 17, 2010 at 10:51 am

Wow – that’s like neon green. That’s all from the spinach?

I had a low-carb bar running out the door to work, but I am wearing my green satin blouse. It pretty much matches your eggs.

I never would have thought to match apple and bacon, but I guess that’s why they make applewood smoked bacon. Duh. Reminds me I should pick up some bacon this week!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 17, 2010 at 10:55 am

Carbzilla, Yep, that green is all spinach.

Melissa S. March 17, 2010 at 10:51 am

hahaha…it’s all about experimenting!

ilanalala March 17, 2010 at 10:58 am

HAHA I LOVE THAT PICTURE! Super super green! I actually think it looks really good.

Amy @ Second City Randomness March 17, 2010 at 10:59 am

It sounds like it would be delicious… not sure if I could look at it while I was eating though… lol. I bet kids would LOVE it, though! ;)

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 17, 2010 at 11:07 am

Avocado and banana sounds like an amazing combo to me! Sorry the breakfast wasn’t too beautiful….at least it tasted good!

fartygirl March 17, 2010 at 11:17 am

Oh my God HEABs. You have gone to new lengths with this one. I’m equal parts horrified and impressed. JK!!! You know I think yr awesome. I love the colors. It looks like you ate a stained glass window for breakfast!!!!

janetha March 17, 2010 at 11:17 am

A+ and 2 thumbs up for effort :)

Becky @ flybynyght March 17, 2010 at 11:21 am

Wow, I think I’m going to have to trust your judgment on that one. I can’t believe the glowing-ness of the green!!! I wonder what green shenanigans I can get up to in my kitchen when I get home…

Jenn (eating bender) March 17, 2010 at 11:28 am

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Heather! :) I love you and your green foods. Agree with Janetha — A+ and two thumbs up for the breakfast effort. I think it looks quite pleasing to the palate, if I do say so myself!

Have a wonderful day!

caronae March 17, 2010 at 12:19 pm

It may look a little funny, but I bet it tastes good! I can always depend on you for some seriously interesting recipes! I hope to have lots of green with my dinner :)

VeggieGirl March 17, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Come cook for me, please.

Anna March 17, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Oooh, that wrap looks so good! I love soft foods like bananas and avocados! So comforting to my mouth :-D

Maggie March 17, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Your concoctions never cease to inspire me :) It’s been a while since I had an exciting green meal. Aside from the regular green things like broccoli. My food definitely hasn’t been scary enough recently.

Katie T March 17, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Lovely green fritatta!
This may seem like a weird comment cause I’m usually a lurker (read your blog all the time but never comment), but I made something the other day that was very HEAB-inspired. In a stroke of inspiration, I made coconut-cream-cheese frosting to go on top of my carrot-cake oatmeal (oats cooked with grated carrot, zucchini, banana, walnuts, raisins…yum!). And oh my god, the frosting was to die for! All I did was whip together cream cheese (I used the vegan stuff), slightly melted coconut butter, and a dash of agave for sweetness. It was HEAVEN! I had some on my oatmeal…and then later, on a toasted Ezekiel….and then later, straight up out of the bowl. SO GOOD. I feel like with your love of cream cheese and all things coconut, this is right up your alley!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Katie, So glad you delurked, and your coconut cream cheese concoction sounds right up my alley indeed. :)

charlotte March 17, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Yay for festive food! We had shamrock pancakes for brekie – not nearly as creative as yours but my kids dug it:)

homecookedem March 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I really must try an avocado/banana wrap! That sounds wonderful. I bet adding in a little almond butter would make it just perfect!! :)

annecalista March 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm

You are so funny with that picture! I’m sure it tasted good, right?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Annecalista, Tasted delicious. :)

Victoria March 17, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Looks delicious! Maybe I read wrong but maple syrup… doesn’t that count as sugar?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 17, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Hey Victoria, Yes, maple syrup definitely counts as sugar. I’m not a fan of the sweet stuff, but I do love an occasional drizzle of real maple syrup and usually only use a tsp at a time. Oh, and if you’re referring to me giving up sugar for Lent, I didn’t give up the real deal. I gave up stevia and all artificial sweeteners…I miss them!

Susan March 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I actually thought of you today when my suitemate told me they were serving green eggs and green pancakes at the dining hall. I said to myself, I know a lady who would groove on that…

Happy St. Patty’s day!!!

eatmovelove March 17, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Wow – I really like the sound of that cream cheese frosting from Katie – post pics if you try HEAB!

And wow that is green! Hah! If it were a little “plumper” I’d be over it :)

Mae March 17, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I love greeeen things! Happy St. Patrick’s day Heather!!! :-D

Katie March 17, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Apples and bacon go great together, what are you talking about? And maple syrup makes everything better, no matter what! I think it sounds and looks great!

But, I have to say that the banana-avocado wrap looks better! And likely faster too.

jenny March 17, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Way to get in the St. Paddy’s day spirit!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) March 17, 2010 at 3:44 pm

KEY LIME OATBRAN!?!?!?! I swear, food bloggers are some of the most creative people that ever exsisted! I LOVE key lime pie, and I am sure that this oatbran is no exception!

Gracie @ GirlMeetsHealth March 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Hehe, that picture does make me giggle. It sounds like a delicious combination of flavors, though! And I’ve never seen your avocado + banana wrap, but I officially drooling over it. I would have never thought to combine the too, but it sounds like it’d be delicious. Side note: it’d be quite lethal (well, not literally) for my poor mom, who is allergic to avocados and bananas!

BroccoliHut March 17, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Best green eats I’ve seen all day! Love the sound of your key lime oat bran.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heathee March 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Way to celebrate the day!! Green food make me feel so energized.

Nicole March 17, 2010 at 5:07 pm

You are so funny. that is so something that would happen to me!
I’m with Katie-food coloring coconut butter green is a-ok with me!

Danielle March 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm

haha maybe the average person might find that gross-looking…but I don’t think it’s bad!

juli March 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Heather, how do I store my coconut butter I made? It’s in a jar, but hard as a rock. Do I need to keep it cold or not? Do you think it would be good on a Flatout Wrap with almond butter, then put in the oven to melt?

thanks!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 17, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Juli, No refrigeration required. Since coconut is mostly saturated fat, it solidifies at room temperature. Yes, I think it would be delicious on a wrap with almond butter and heated. Enjoy!

Michelle March 17, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Love the pics and the frittata is a gorgeous shade of green! :-)

eatmovelove March 17, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I just read your response to Victoria – I didn’t realize that you kept “real” sugar – even if you don’t use it alot…nice, keeping it real ;)

The Foodie Diaries March 17, 2010 at 6:07 pm

hahaha sometimes aesthetic fails are taste bud triumphs :)

Susan March 17, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I don’t know what you’re talking about, your green frittatomelet is a thing of beauty!! The rich green colour is a sight to be had ;)

Really though, if it’s got bacon, how can it not taste good?? :P

Happy St. Patty’s Day Heather!

Cherie March 17, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Happy St Patty’s Day to all!! Hope it was a good one.

The Irish in me love’s all the green Heather! Great job!!

yogiclarebear March 17, 2010 at 9:05 pm

ok that looks beautiful and amazing. i love apple/bacon/maple! i might have added some onion and thyme too.

wonderful heather!

monica March 17, 2010 at 9:44 pm

purty!!:)

Kristina March 18, 2010 at 9:08 am

I like the creativity! ;) esp the avo banana wrap. We are only limited by our imaginations, right?

Lara (Thinspired) March 18, 2010 at 10:20 am

Happy (belated) St Patty’s Day, Heabie! Ok, so I’m not going to lie to you, your breakfast does look gro–er, weird. It looks a little weird. But I bet it tasted FANTASTIC with the maple syrup on those salty eggs and bacon! My kind of meal :)
Hope you didn’t get pinched! ;)

simplyshaka March 18, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Holy greeness–I love it. I will be trying that key lime oat bran, it looks amazing!

{ 2 trackbacks }