A HEAB Parfait

by HEAB on March 25, 2010

Last night, I left the veggie intake up to CD and fixed myself an oatmeal sundae for dinner.

I started out with an almost empty jar of tahini and filled it with 1/2 cup quick cooking Irish oats prepared with water and dark cocoa powder.

Layer #2 was banana soft-serve ice-cream made by slowly blending one frozen banana in the Vita-Mix.

Then, for some crunch, I added a few Mary’s Gone Crackers Sticks and Twigs.

My dinner…not nearly as pretty as Mae’s Moo-less ice-cream sundae, but it worked. :)

I now leave you with a new segment on HEAB I like to call Cooking With CD

CD opened a new package of butter, and I told him to store it in a glass container in the fridge. We probably own 20 various pyrex containers in all different shapes and sizes. He chose this one…

I found the mustard left wide open on the counter looking like this…

I have a rule that the kitchen must be clean before we sit down to eat. However, when left on his own, CD doesn’t always follow my rule…

And this concludes our episode of Cooking with CD. At least my boy loves his veggies, right? ;)

Jenn (j3nn.net) March 25, 2010 at 8:44 am

I love the idea of an oatmeal parfait! That looks so good! :)

Jenn

Christin L. March 25, 2010 at 9:12 am

That looks amazing! I may have to replicate this very soon…

Melissa March 25, 2010 at 9:13 am

Tell me about that butter…it looks gold like grass fed

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 25, 2010 at 9:40 am

Melissa, Yep, it’s Kerrygold butter, our favorite. Produced by very happy Irish grass fed cows. :)

hair in my coffee March 25, 2010 at 9:20 am

That parfait looks delicious!

Heather March 25, 2010 at 9:23 am

haha, i’m SUCH a messy cook! it’s more important that i make the food taste good and clean later though :) Nate HATES that we have to clean up after dinner!

i LOVE the banana soft serve stuff…so good and guiltless too :)

Hanna M. March 25, 2010 at 9:29 am

Ha ha, if we were to follow that rule we would never eat ;)

Carrie March 25, 2010 at 9:35 am

Cooking with CD looks a lot like cooking with my husband, except with him it’s more “let’s take our one left over chicken sausage and put it in the biggest tupperware container we have”. Takes up half the fridge! Grrr. Gotta love it. I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now and just wanted to let you know that I love it (and now make my own coconut butter:)). Have a good one!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 25, 2010 at 9:41 am

Thanks for reading Carrie. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet March 25, 2010 at 9:47 am

LOL! Seriously, that is exactly how my husband is!

Lindsay March 25, 2010 at 9:55 am

Sounds like my hubby. He always says, he’ll get to it later. hmm……

Evan Thomas March 25, 2010 at 9:58 am

I can not eat with dirty dishes and plates. It’s something I’m so OCD about

midgetkeeper March 25, 2010 at 10:35 am

This is exactly why my Husband isn’t allowed in MY kitchen :)

Tiffany P. March 25, 2010 at 10:49 am

At least he fixed himself dinner. My hubby doesn’t eat if i don’t cook for him…lol

eatmovelove March 25, 2010 at 10:50 am

Funny CD. But HEAB – you can still eat your veggies before the “sundae”?!!
…I still don’t know how you guys can avoid getting your hands and arms in a mess from those jars…;)

Mae March 25, 2010 at 11:02 am

Heather- You’re awesome!! Your ice cream is beautiful. Hhaaha Chris is so funny. My brother does the SAME THING. Our refrigerator is gross! ;-)

thedelicateplace March 25, 2010 at 11:05 am

my hubs does the same thing with the mustard and it grosses me out! oh how i love banana soft serve and dark cocoa powder. it may not be pretty but i’m sure it tasted amazing!

Kristy Blake March 25, 2010 at 11:19 am

Wow, I didn’t know my husband was cooking at your house!

Therese March 25, 2010 at 11:21 am

That looks SOOOOO good!

And your boyfriend seems a LOT like my boyfriend! Ha ha ha I’m so anal about the counters being cleared but when he cooks everything is left all over the place! But at least he cooks for me so I can’t complain TOO much! :P

operagirlcooks March 25, 2010 at 11:28 am

Ha, thanks for documenting CD’s kitchen tornado for our blog-reading amusement, Heather! Also your parfait looks tasty, but I have to admit you lost me at the pretzel sticks. Was it a good sweet/salty combo?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 25, 2010 at 11:40 am

Operagirlcooks, It was a good sweet/savory combo. However, I think it would have been better with nuts. :)

maggie March 25, 2010 at 11:32 am

You know I love the way to fill jars up with oats!! Love the softserve!

xoxo
Maggie

eatmovelove March 25, 2010 at 11:36 am

oh and yes – Mustard is AMAZING with black bean and turkey chili ;) yum…with salsa….or pizza dipped in it…sorry off topic – someone mentioned mustard…

From Party To Hearty March 25, 2010 at 11:49 am

I’m not too into tahini unless in the form of HUMMUS! The butter in the small container is too funny! My family does really lazy things like that too like put an empty container back so they do not have to clean the dish or throw it away.

Marina March 25, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Amazing parfait!
I wish my boy liked his veggies and wanted to prepare them. But slowly…we’re getting there:D

Justine March 25, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Atleast he tried? With the butter, I mean. Right? No? Ok.

Laura March 25, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Oh men. I hope all our generation of mothers drum into their boys to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN! Mind you, I just made an impressive mess with my Vitamix ;)
Heather, help! I could really do with some sage advice… one of my medical colleagues said I have carotenemia from eating too many vegetables rich in beta carotene- have you, CD or anyone else you know ever had this (kabocha overdose!), and if so, how long did it last for? I’ve heard it can take weeks, and don’t really fancy the idea of walking around like a day-glo-bad self tanner in the meantime. So. Embarrassing. Do you think I will have to cut out most of my veggies too?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Laura, I did turn orange after a year of 1 to 2 sweet potatoes every night, but the kabocha never seems to bother me. I’ve heard mixed reviews on whether orange skin is bad or not, but I would back off any orange veggies for a while…from what I remember, it took my skin several weeks to a few months to return to normal. Sorry. :(

Laura March 25, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Oh the first thing I thought when I read this post was my Chemist mother would be screaming at CD ‘you’re oxidising the butter’! Love having a Scientist as a Mum ;)

Katie March 25, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I can’t sit down to eat if the kitchen is messy. Doesn’t matter how clean it is. I also can’t eat if I am dirty. After I workout, I absolutely must shower before eating. It makes me shower fast though!

Gena March 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Holy yum! I’ve been forgetting to freeze naners for weeks now, but when I do remember, soft serve will return with oats — thanks for the inspiration!

Sagan March 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Tsk BOYS! Hehehe. That’s pretty cute. I’ve taken to cleaning my boyfriend’s stove when I go to his place because he never cleans it. It’s funny. He’s a clean guy- his stove is just something that he doesn’t scrub.

And oatmeal for dinner is always delicious!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) March 25, 2010 at 1:36 pm

hahaha that container with the butter is priceless!!! boys are so silly ;)

todayslady March 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Love the how he put the butter away!!!! Brightened my day :)

ilanalala March 25, 2010 at 2:13 pm

AAaahhh men. I once asked my boyfriend to give my cats some water. I came into the kitchen later to find a coffee mug full of water placed on the floor, next to their empty water dish. I don’t get it.

And your parfait looks deeeeeeeeevine.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 25, 2010 at 2:41 pm

ilanalala, Ha ha – you win the best comment of the day. Cracked me up!

homecookedem March 25, 2010 at 2:31 pm

HEAB! Your parfait looks ridiculously amazing!!!!!!! I need to try that out ASAP!!! :)

Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 25, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I find similar containers left in my kitchen by my boyfriend :-)

Kelly March 25, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I always clean as I go…I HATE to have to clean up after dinner!

Mama Pea March 25, 2010 at 2:34 pm

OMG, your CD pics had me cracking up. I also have the “I don’t sit down and eat until the kitchen is clean” rule, except I’m the only one who cooks, so it just kind of sucks.

Your Mary’s Twigs reminded me of what I’ve been doing with my protein ice cream: sprinkling coarse ground sea salt on top. I LOVE it!!!

jenny March 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm

That butter looks sooooooooo freaking delicious!!!!

Katherine: What About Summer? March 25, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Yum! I love brussel sprouts but I always eat frozen. Have you ever seen them growing on a stalk? It’s the most bizarre looking plant

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 25, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Katherine, Yes, I’ve bought Brussels on a stalk before at Whole Foods. So fun!

Jennifer March 25, 2010 at 2:47 pm

cd is silly, but i’m gonna have to agree with him that you should eat and then clean. otherwise your food gets cold. haha.

Carolyn March 25, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I did exactly what CD did with the butter the other day.. Same exact bowl.. only i put it in the microwave for 15 seconds and them smashed the @#&* out of it with my palm on the blue lid, until it closed.. i’m not proud, but it worked…

Emily March 25, 2010 at 3:05 pm

My gosh. Look at that parfait! That’s exactly somethingI would eat. Love the pretzels on top.

Ohhh CD! Look at that mustard! You need to clean that up. Nobody likes dried crusty mustard on the container.

Becca March 25, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I like this post!
Hmm…nice cleaning skills, CD.
Love that parfait and wish I could taste it thru my computer!

Sarah R March 25, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Oh my goodness, cooking with CD-hilarious!! And only because thats what my kitchen looks like after my husband gets done.

Marissa March 25, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Matt thinks I have to dirty every dish in the kitchen before dinner is complete. He prefers one pot cooking ;-)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hilarious- it’s not like CD isn’t a genius. I think he might have just failed that square-in-the square test in pre-school, so it’s a carry-over. The mustard would have drawn my ire, however ;-)

Kimberly Christensen March 25, 2010 at 5:25 pm

HEATHER! Thank you for another awesome post. You always have such great ideas :)

I gave you a Happy 101 Award! It was given to me, and now I am passing on the joy. Follow the link to my blog for all the details! http://tinyurl.com/yzw7vr7

Have a wonderful day :) – Kim | http://www.affairsofliving.com

Gina March 25, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I ALWAYS clean up as I go when cooking, but the boyfriend DOES NOT! It’s so annoying sometimes! I especially cannot stand when he leaves scrunched up dirty paper towels all over the kitchen!

Danielle March 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm

hahah the butter container made me laugh :D

I need to get on this banana softserve train. Except I always forget to freeze the bananas!

Question: Is there any difference between Irish Oats and Steel-Cut oats? I stared at both boxes at the store today and finally said…”a food blogger would know ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 25, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Danielle, Steel cut oats ARE Irish oats. However, regular steel cut oats are less processed and take 20 minutes or so to cook on the stovetop. Quick cooking Irish oats have been rolled and steamed and can be cooked in a few minutes. It’s like old fashioned rolled oats vs. quick cooking oats. Same concept.

annecalista March 25, 2010 at 6:41 pm

That’s hilarious.

Annie (HotFlashBang) March 25, 2010 at 6:44 pm

hahahaha.. the butter thing KILLED me! Loved your combination of sweet and savory AND hot and cold.. love to eat opposites like that! YUMMO

Annie

caronae March 25, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Some nights, you just need oats for dinner. Like tonight. I had two bowls :)

Kim March 25, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I am SO glad I am not the only wife in the world who’s husband does the exact same thing!

candicemccoy March 25, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Your oatmeal parfait looks so good! And I’m just like you when it comes to the kitchen being clean before we sit down to eat – it’s a must!

The butter incident is hilarious:)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 25, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I cannot eat if my kitch is messy…eww. Has to be cleaned right away, then eat. Childhoood memories of all these dishes and clutter and “doing the dishes after dinner” makes me run my house 180 degrees different!

Been following the mustard thread on Katie’s site. I have that Beaver Sweet Hot, if you need more, LMK. I, however, cannot get the Westbrae no salt, so I told Katie i had mustard envy of Heather and she said she was sending you some Beaver and could send me the Westbrae but i said no, that’s ok. She said she was spreading the mustard love. What a doll. Not sure why i am telling you this, other than to say you’re gonna love the beaver sweet hot! Ive been buying it for years.

Cherie March 25, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Oh CD! I have to admit, that butter thing made me laugh. :-) But it’s NOT funny, is it? Baaaaad CD.

Carbzilla March 25, 2010 at 9:57 pm

But otherwise he’s perfect, right?

I swear the hardest part of marriage is biting my tongue half the time. Those pics are precious.

elise March 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm

i clean everything before i eat too…maybe we are freaks, but its way more enjoyable that way :)

Tracie @Hollafoodzone March 25, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I can eat if the kitchen is messy because it’s in another room where I can’t see it. However I can NOT go to bed if it is messy – I HATE waking up to a dirty kitchen! Unfortunately that usually means I clean it because no one listens to my kitchen rules either :-)

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl March 26, 2010 at 12:30 am

Sounds yummy!

So funny about CD ;-)

If I’m starving, I can eat no matter what – but it’s always nice when things are fresh and sparkly clean. :-D

fitandfortysomething March 26, 2010 at 5:53 am

It is also good that he is cooking;)!

Luna March 26, 2010 at 5:54 am

ahah my husband is messy and lazy so he is not allowed in the kitchen (I prefer to cook and quickly clean, than cleaning a giant mess!) I always have to pick up after him … this, or he thinks that empty bottles of soda/milk/whatever have legs to walk to the trash … :)

Pure2Raw twins March 26, 2010 at 6:34 am

Your parfait looks heavenly! Love all the different layers, such fun! Glad you man loves veggies, mine does too which is great :) Hugs

gina (fitnessista) March 26, 2010 at 6:51 am

hahah christian dior and the pilot have a lot in common :)
i just told him about your glorious milk and peppermint tea creation (as i’m drinking it) and he was like: “well, you know, heab is the devil”
love you friend and hope you have a great weekend!

Allie (Protein Girl) March 26, 2010 at 11:23 am

When left to his own devices, my man will eat only bananas smothered in peanut butter, punctuated by a bowl of Chex. A man who can not only wield a knife, but use it to chop veggies is extraordinary.

Hold him tight.

And then make him do the dishes.

beth March 26, 2010 at 3:26 pm

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Boys kill me!

Graze With Me March 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Oh my god this post makes me giggle. I’m the same way about the state of my kitchen before eating a meal.

My husband is known for leaving spoons covered in sour cream out on the counter (along with the open container of sour cream), any and all condiments used left out as well as the empty casserole pans in the sink filled with soapy water (I tested him one time and the pan was there for 3 days before I gave up and cleaned it!).

Bekah March 27, 2010 at 12:43 pm

You would… :)

OK.. slightly jealous. I’m imagining an “oatmeal-banana soft serve-protein ice cream” sundae bar with you and Deb and Allie. I’m digging it.

christina March 27, 2010 at 5:54 pm

2 things…what does CD mean? Also, is the vitamix a worthwhile investment (i mean really) …it’s like 600 bucks or something and i REALLY want one but afraid i’ll regret spending the money! Does the soft serve turn out really nicely? What’s your favorite thing to use it for?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 27, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Christina, CD is my husband: Chris. Our last name begins with a “D”, and some of his friends call him CD. So, I started calling him that when we were dating.

Oh my gosh, I LOVE my Vita-Mix and usually use it at least twice a day for ice-creams, soups, sauces, smoothies, etc. I actually own a reconditioned VitaMix 5000 that I bought on sale. Often times, the Vita-mix folks sell models on their website that have been used for demos. It’s a great deal, usually about $100 off, and it still comes with the 7-year warranty. So, if you’re looking for a good deal, I would call their 1-800 number and ask them if they have any available. If you’re interested in buying a completely new model, I would definitely recommend the 5200. I love mine, but my MIL has the 5200 and it seemed a bit more efficient and a little quieter. Still loud though. :) Don’t even bother purchasing the dry blade. It’s a waste of money. I bought it and have never once used it in 4 years. The wet blade can do it all. My favorite thing to make is probably ice-cream, and it usually turns out great!

Mae May 27, 2010 at 11:59 am

OHHHH NOOO! Your tahini aversion was my fault. :-( I’m so sorry!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Haha – no one to blame but myself. No worries Mae, I’m sure I’ll love it again…I hope! Hope you’re enjoying your summer. I’m so behind on blog reading, but I’ll get caught up one of these days. Miss you!

{ 1 trackback }