Five Minute Fancy Breakfast

by HEAB on March 30, 2010

Many thanks to everyone for their kind and supportive comments yesterday, especially from the experienced yoginis who reassured me that all is not lost. You’re all right, I know I’ll get back in my yoga groove one day soon, and my muscles won’t forget what to do. :) Also, Gaby suggested I try yogic breathing and relaxation exercises every morning. Hello, that totally counts as yoga, and instead of feeling sorry for myself every morning, I think I will start my day off with some Pranayama Breathing (sent from Averie – thanks A!) as I know that will help me feel more centered throughout my day. So, thanks again my friends – you all made me feel so much better!

Look, I made Eggs Benedict for breakfast. Traditional Eggs Benedict consists of a buttered English muffin topped with Canadian style bacon, a poached egg, and Hollandaise Sauce. Since I’m obsessed with the egg/hummus/mustard combo (thank you Katie), I present to you Eggs Benedict, HEAB style…

I toasted an Ezekiel English muffin and topped each half with a poached egg and skipped the bacon. I don’t really “poach” my eggs. That requires cooking them in boiling water or something. I simply cook mine in a covered skillet for about 3 and 1/2 minutes over medium heat. They look “poached”, and the center is left just slightly runny. Perfect. :) For my Hollandaise Sauce, I combined 1 heaping spoonful of hummus with a TBSP of nutritional yeast, a big squirt of Beaver’s Sweet Hot mustard and a little water to thin. After topping the dish off with some freshly ground pepper, I practically licked the plate clean. OK, so I licked…couldn’t let any of that sauce go to waste. ;)

Do you make fancy dishes? I may be many things, but Julia Child I am not. Recipes stay pretty simple in my kitchen, and it usually involves me throwing random things into a stir-fry or crock-pot. What’s the most complicated recipe you’ve ever prepared? For me, I think it was a roasted pork tenderloin with fennel and dried figs…and totally worth the effort! Mmmm, that was good. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 30, 2010 at 8:32 am

the “fanciest” things i ever make are roasted birds and bechemel sauces…neither of which is really all that hard! i’d love to know how to do more intricate stuff, but i just don’t have the time at the moment. LOVE your breakfast idea though!

Kelsey March 30, 2010 at 8:34 am

I tend to stick to simpler things as well. I don’t have time to go all out in the kitchen and make something super complicated every day, you know? As far as the most complicated thing I’ve ever made… I’m not sure. Recently I made Stuffed Peppers, which turned out to be quite time-consuming, so I’d have to say that for now. They were good, but I’m not sure if they were worth the 2 hours total I spent in the kitchen making them. :P

Christie {Honoring Health} March 30, 2010 at 8:37 am

What a great idea to do some yogic breathing when you can’t practice!

I am not much of a fancy cook, Roasted chicken is probably my most awe inspiring thing. Though, my true southern family loves my sausage gravy.

Evan Thomas March 30, 2010 at 8:39 am

The most complicated thing I make is a gluten free, soy free vegan meatloaf that’s absolutely amazing and tastes just like a McDonalds burger, but it takes a lot of effort

Beth March 30, 2010 at 8:54 am

Eggs benedict is one of my favorites! This version looks so good.

I like to do easy things over complicated ones. I did make a green gazpacho with lump crab meat that had lots of steps and ingredients for one course of my dads birthday dinner. that was probably the most complicated dish i’ve ever made, and it turned out awesome, but i don’t like spending that much time on anything!

claire March 30, 2010 at 9:16 am

Looks Delicious! I’m not a yogini,but like to do some flows because of the stretching and calming benefits.The breathing part,however, gets me energized in the mornings…so important!!You’re amazing:-) cc

Jessica @ How Sweet March 30, 2010 at 9:21 am

Sometimes I make fancy dishes, but only when we have company. I think most of your meals look fancy, Heather!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love March 30, 2010 at 9:25 am

I am so not for fancy! I prefer simple, easy and delicious.

Ashlei March 30, 2010 at 9:31 am

Sweet and simple recipes is how I like to roll also :)

Chloe March 30, 2010 at 9:32 am

That’s a perfect breakfast for someone like me who loves eggs benedict but can’t have dairy. I love your “HEABandaise” sauce!

Anna March 30, 2010 at 9:41 am

Before I went veg, I made boeuf bourgignon for a dinner party. It was an all day affair!!

Your eggs look so professional and fancy! Go you!

eatmovelove March 30, 2010 at 9:45 am

For some reason even when I start something that should only be 5 mins…it turns into an hour…and me snacking on a zillion things in between.
Great photography!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 30, 2010 at 9:56 am

is there any other way to clean your plate?

Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 30, 2010 at 9:59 am

I definitely stick to simpler things in the kitchen as well. I’ve done some pasta making from scratch and that was definitely worth it!

homecookedem March 30, 2010 at 10:08 am

Perfect timing HEAB!! I love eggs benedict!! I ate it almost every morning on our honeymoon! ;) And thanks for the tip on how to make those eggs. I will be trying this out soon!! :)

Carbzilla March 30, 2010 at 10:16 am

That sauce sounds like something I could put on EVERYTHING!!!!

Fanciest dish we make is short ribs and that isn’t very often.

theprocessofhealing March 30, 2010 at 10:19 am

YUM!!! Those sound fabulous! I will have to try that technique for eggs, sounds so good and so easy!
I tend to make easy stuff too. The most complicated thing I’ve ever made was probably sushi – which, I guess, isn’t complicated in the ingredients, just in the technique.

Cat March 30, 2010 at 10:38 am

I have been know to be OBSESSED with poached eggs. A weird obsession, no? Anyway, my method is just to fill a saute pan with hot water, add a generous pour of white vinegar and add eggs when it hits a rolling boil. Perfection!

Also, thanks for the idea of a modified Hollandaise sauce! I’m totally trying this out!

I LOVE to eat fancy food, but I cook for one most days and that just ain’t gonna happen on a regular basis. Besides, since I hate doing dishes, my goal on an every day basis is to use as few dishes as possible.

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness March 30, 2010 at 10:42 am

Yum, I love this. I’m completely obsessed with Nutritional Yeast + Cottage Cheese &/or Hummus, but hadn’t thought to top eggs with it, yum!

jenny March 30, 2010 at 11:05 am

I am much more of a simple girl, i tried the fancy route lsat night and made a mess!

Mama Pea March 30, 2010 at 11:06 am

That EB looks totally authentic. It’s a good think I don’t eat eggs, because I haven’t the foggiest idea how to cook them. I’m TERRIBLE at baking yeast breads, just terrible. I’m not patient and I want to use whole wheat pastry flour for everything, which pretty much just ends in disaster.

Janet (Pantry Bites) March 30, 2010 at 11:19 am

Fully agreed. I like to consider myself a fussy foodie who likes to keep things simple.

theemptynutjar March 30, 2010 at 11:29 am

nice . whole eggs , hummus, avocado, anything with bread is great. i should try poaching in a skillet some time. i am not julia child either.

it will take me FOREVER to make or prep something….and like 5 minutes to eat it :( not cool!

Quix March 30, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I love making simple things a little more complicated. I’ll take 15 minutes to make a sandwich or a salad, or an hour to make a stir fry, but it will be the best damn sammich/salad/stir fry prepared exactly how I like it tasting perfectly!

And I’m the same way as the poster above – forever to make, 5 mins (if I’m slow) to eat. What can I say, I’m just a devourer!

Kate March 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Looks Delicious! I used to love elaborate, complicated recipes – but now that I have kids, I usually keep it pretty simple. Gluten free baking is complicated enough…I go for simple meals – like tonight will be black bean & lentil burgers & a bok choi salad. Yummy, but not complicated.

Those eggs look fantastic!

Katie March 30, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I used to be into making more complicated dishes, but I think simple is better lately. The most complicated thing I made was homemade butternut squash ravioli with goat cheese sauce. It was UNBELIEVABLE!! But it took about 2-3 hours from start to finish.

I just had eggs with that sauce for breakfast, but I had it on roasted brocc and brussels. And I used my apricot mustard!

LesleyG March 30, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Your description of your cooking style is pretty much identical to mine. Whatever I have, and think might taste good together, goes in a skillet and viola! I eat and am full. So boring, but it’s working for me! :)
Glad you’re feeling better and more encouraged! You’re always so good at setting an example!

Marissa March 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I am going to try those breathing exercises myself. I know I need them!

I am actually very very fancy. I used to make extremely elaborate dishes like Ukrainian Easter Bread, Souffles, pastries, etc. but I don’t eat like that anymore. Oddly enough I find that when I try to make more normal foods with my new way of eating, it is more difficult than those fancy dishes. I still love making those things, but when I do them now I tend to make them for others. Then again I still do make elaborate dishes I can eat. Once a week my dinner will take about 2 hours to prepare, but on a daily basis I tend to whip things together in about 15 minutes.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 30, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I am in culinary school, and I spend 4+ hours a day cooking crazy complicated dishes. At home, I keep it simple! It is so much more satisfying, really =D

xo
K

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heathee March 30, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I love the hummus/nutrition yeast combo. Haven’t tried it on eggs yet but it’s destine to happen soon!

My most difficult meal I’ve prepard… Pierogi oh so good!

From Party To Hearty March 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm

That egg sandwich could not look any better!! Can we trade breakfast?

janetha March 30, 2010 at 1:48 pm

book-freaking-marked. holy crud, this is genius.

Paige @ Running Around Normal March 30, 2010 at 2:06 pm

That looks amazing to me. I stick with simple, too. Maybe if I get down to one job I can cook more elaborate meals :D

VeggieGirl March 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Curse my egg allergy!

Kelly March 30, 2010 at 3:47 pm

That looks so good! I love Eggs Benedict and it is always what I order when we go out for brunch. I have to try this! Thanks!

Susan March 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm

” I don’t really “poach” my eggs. That requires cooking them in boiling water or something.”

Aaaahahaha. Yes. I love poached eggs, but I don’t love effort. Simplicity can taste just as good! You could have said you slaved over boiled water with a spoon and vinegar, and I would have totally believed you were the poaching queen ;) I am loving that mustard-hummus egg topper. I am 100% trying that.

The most complicated meal I ever made was over Christmas – when I made three side dishes and a pie. Separately, they weren’t that complicated but cooking and coordinating them all at once was a mess!

Daniel March 30, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I really really want some eggs now! Mustard-hummus-nooch topping? That has to taste insanely good too, I can’t wait to try that out.

I don’t really try for anything fancy – the most it gets to is some nice homemade tomato sauce for some pasta. Usually when I try to make something really complicated it turns into a flop so I just stick to delicious and simple things – roasted veggies with a little pepper, cinnamon, olive oil, lemon juice, etc.

Julie March 30, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Heather! Quick question. Can to much kabocha squash be bad for you? I know too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you..i’m just hoping kabocha can be an exception :) . whenever my parents make it for dinner, I go absolutely insaneee, and eat tons of it..(probably around 2 cups worth..so, sooo delicious). Is this bad?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 30, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Julie, No, I don’t think eating 2+ cups kabocha is bad. Trust me, I’ve much more in one sitting before. You might want to back off if you notice your skin starts turning orange. Otherwise, I say eat up. You could be eating much worse, right? :)

Lauren March 30, 2010 at 5:49 pm

These look incredible!!! :)

gina (fitnessista) March 30, 2010 at 6:27 pm

hi friend :)
i was sad to hear about your lack of yoga, but know you’re doing the right thing for your body. coming out of a hiatus myself, i know what a bummer it is. muscles have amazing memories and before we know it, you’ll be rocking out those crazy awesome yoga poses again :)
hope you’re having a great night <3

Cole March 30, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Mmmm, that looks like a delicious breakfast.

hair in my coffee March 30, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I love your “poached” egg tip! Niiiiiice.

Katherine: What About Summer? March 30, 2010 at 7:25 pm

We can’t all be Julia. but maybe that’s a good thing… she was quite a drinker at the end. You could however be a spy like her and we’d never know about it!
Katherine

Shannon March 30, 2010 at 7:29 pm

sounds delicious! much more a fan of your hollendaise ;)

Carolyn March 30, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Christmas dinner for 25

midgetkeeper March 30, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I enjoy making complicated dishes every once in a while, it’s so fun for me.

Justine March 30, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I love to cook fancy meals but I usually just end up stressing myself out over them, so the more simple the better. The more simple ones often taste better though, too.

annecalista March 30, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Egg, hummus and mustard is a great combo! I also like tofu, hummus and mustard. or tempeh. Yum.

Gaby March 30, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Hey Heather! I’m happy to hear you’ll try out the breathing exercises :) sometimes I need those a lot more than I need the Asana. Yogatoday has a few tutorials too, I think.
Those eggs benedict look so good! I’ve been thinking about getting local eggs at the farmer’s market. I know the local organic eggs are fine ethically, I just feel a little weird because it’s been so long! I was never a fan of hollandaise sauce, but this combo sounds delicious! I”ll have to make it asap.
Oh, and unless I’m cooking for a special occasion where other people are involved, and not counting the occasional baking that takes more oven time, all of my meals get thrown together in under 10 minutes.

Sonia March 30, 2010 at 10:10 pm

“fanciest” thing I have ever attempted was also one of my biggest failures. I made tiramisu for my hubs birthday this year. The custard was fantastic, but no one told me how long to dip the lady fingers so they were all soggy and gross. No one ate it lol. One pot meals is how I roll <3 Less dishes hehe

jenny (green food diaries) March 30, 2010 at 10:58 pm

i tried your “hollandaise sauce” except with baba ganouj instead… i approve of the mustard addition!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 31, 2010 at 7:15 am

Jenny, So glad you liked it! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 31, 2010 at 2:37 am

Hi Miss Heather, well, better late than never to this party, huh :)
Ok thank you for the shoutout and I hope the pranyama is helping soothe you. Really, google in your area, go on craigslist, go on meetup.com, ask around at local yoga studios about a meditation circle or sunrise pranyama. Little circles of 8-12 yogis and those open to breathing and meditating and the supportive energy from the group will just be soo calming, soothing, and nourishing to your soul. Truly, I hope you can connect w/ a group b/c breathing by yourself is….okay. With a group, it just helps reconnect you with all things good. And gives you the support you need right now on all levels. From like minded peeps.

Beaver. I price checked it today, it’s not 1.99, it’s a whopping 2.79 per bottle LOL. Lmk if you need a refill :)

love and healing to you!!!!!!!
xoxox
averie

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 31, 2010 at 7:16 am

Will look into it. Thanks again Averie!

skinny latte March 31, 2010 at 3:44 am

That “hollandaise” sounds really nice, I might give it a go on the weekend. I like your method of cooking the eggs as well, I hate faffing around with all the boiling water.

Pure2raw twins March 31, 2010 at 5:21 am

We like to do a mix of fancy meals and simple meals. Most of the time it is simple like lots of smoothies, pudding, and salads, but a few times a week we like to create a more labor intensive recipe, makes us feel good :)

fitandfortysomething March 31, 2010 at 7:32 am

i do not like to follow recipes too much and if i do they have to be easy!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) March 31, 2010 at 7:39 am

I think I’ll take your version of eggs benedict over the class prep anyday. Looks amazing!

The most “fancy” recipe I’ve ever prepared would have to be the orange glazed Cornish hens I made for Christmas this year. They turned out swell, but it wasn’t a picnic removing the gizzards and cutting them in half. Eek.

veggielady4life March 31, 2010 at 7:55 am

I usually keep things pretty simple. Occasionally I’ll try something complicated… or that involves meat (which I consider always complicated… but I try to have my husband around to help with the dirty work. 8)

He’s usually good about that. By the way… your eggs look delicious!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) March 31, 2010 at 8:52 am

I actually think that poaching wouldn’t be that hard at all- rather than ‘frying’ in some oil or spray, you just use boiling water (and just a bit). This coming from a total non-expert who really keeps it pretty simple in the kitchen.

Hope you do your pranayama and it makes you feel better. :-)

Laura March 31, 2010 at 9:14 am

I think you made the right choice- HEABifying poached eggs- my sister’s partner is religious about having them every weekend, and often in the past went through a box of a dozen ruined eggs to get a couple poached properly- all that vinegar, swirling and such early in the morning, not for me! Most difficult things I’ve made, hmmm- baked Alaska with home freezer made (serious arm muscle work) ice cream inside-very tense whilst in the oven, parathas (the layers!), English crumpets and cinder toffee rank up there I think. Definitely only for a special occasion or rainy day. You have given me so many short cuts and easy, quick recipes to make since I started reading, brilliant! Must stop monopolising your blog and do some work. I’m going to look into the Pranayama Breathing- looks right up my street, thank you!

Lara (Thinspired) March 31, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hi Heabie :) Man, I haven’t read your posts in a while. My loss :( I don’t like traditional eggs benedict, but I bet I would like yours. I recently made “deviled egg” with boiled eggs + hummus (instead of mayo– I despise mayo), and it was delicious. So, I trust the pairing :)

Definitely not a fancy cook. “Food preparation” is more my forte :)

Nicole March 31, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I HAVE to try that sauce! Adding the mustard to it…yum!!!
And yeah I’m like you with my recipes-mainly easy things and Crockpot throw togethers. So I’d say the most complicated thing I’ve ever made might have to be butternut squash lasagna. And Arroz con Pollo (rice and chicken) Getting the rice to cook properly can be difficult with chicken, and there’s this step where you take Annatto seeds and cook them in oil to get the red/orangy color for the rice. It’s a real pain in the ass but SO worth it!

Cassandra Pfaff April 6, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe! I’ve actually never tried this brand of english muffin, but WOW they are fantastic! I used a bit of organic lemon juice instead of the mustard in the sauce to lean it towards the more traditional hollandaise flavor, but I think next time I will spring for the mustard.

I’m a new reader to your site, all of your information is wonderful. I try to really eat low-glycemic and I used to be a vegetarian, but I do occasionally eat meat now and then. I have an underactive thyroid and a combination of polycystic ovarian disorder/glucose intolerance, so I have to say I love your recipes and your taste in food, and will be trying a lot of them!

My favorite fancy recipe is a grilled vegetable/herb encrusted goat cheese salad. Spring greens, grilled eggplant/zucchini/tomatoes, slice of goat cheese rolled in wheat germ/bran mix (this is my go-to if I feel the need for something breaded) and fresh herbs quickly pan-seared, topped with a little fresh vinaigrette and a couple fresh raspberries.

I based this off of a salad I had at a local restaurant, but they took it off the menu a couple of years ago and it was so fantastic that I had to come up with my own version.

Much luck to you on the yoga front… I just started practicing regularly at my mom’s new studio. It’s really addictive, and it does feel weird when I can’t take class due to work or whatever. I am so surprised every week at how the flexibility keeps getting better, with all my stupid medical issues this is finally something that’s helping me a lot!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 6, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Cassandra, So happy you found my blog, and I’m glad you enjoyed your Ezekiel English muffins. They are so good and crunchy. Love them. OK, so your herb encrusted goat cheese sounds amazing. I should try and replicate it as I love ordering salads with a big blob of encrusted goat cheese whenever I see it on restaurant’s menu. There is a restaurant here in Nashville – The Copper Kettle, and they make a salad such as this. If you go Sunday morning, it’s part of their all you can eat Sunday brunch buffet, and I won’t lie, I’ve been known to cherry pick all the goat cheese from the big bowl. ;)

Happy to hear your enjoying some yoga. I so hope to have it in my life again soon!

{ 7 trackbacks }