For The Love Of The Legume

by HEAB on April 2, 2010

Yesterday, I wanted a chicken wrap for lunch, but the only chicken breast we had was frozen solid. Hmm, what to use for protein? I looked around in my cabinet and found this…

The other day, Veggiegirl and I were talking beans, and I decided to pick some up while at Trader Joe’s. I don’t often buy beans as they sometimes cause me stomach distress, but I do love refried beans on occasion. In fact, back in my vegetarian days, I often ate bean burritos sans cheese from Taco Bell. So, yesterday, I decided to create my own version, but with cheese

Looks cheesy, no? I simply filled 1 warmed La Tortilla Factory tortilla with 1/4 cup refried beans and humnut sauce made with 1 heaping spoonful of hummus, 1 TBSP nutritional yeast, a squirt of Beaver’s Sweet Hot Mustard, and a bit of water to thin. This was so good that last night when CD and I went to Trader Joe’s to pick up few things, I threw 2 more cans of beans in the cart.

Today’s lunch was a Mexican pizza…

Same concept as above, I just didn’t roll it up. This would have been excellent with some chopped avocado. Next time for sure!

Did anyone fall for any good April Fool’s Day jokes? I did. CD brought these to me when he come for lunch yesterday, Look Heather Pie, I bought you flowers…

Ha ha, April Fools. Someone sent them to our office, and my boss said I could bring them home to you. Oh well, it’s that thought that counts, right? Thanks CD! :)

Don’t forget to enter my So Delicious product coupon giveaway. The contest ends when So Delicious reaches 3,500 fans on Facebook. We’ve got a ways to go.

Happy Good Friday to you all!

mrssturgis April 2, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Mmmm that looks delicious!

Jenn April 2, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Humnut sauce??? I’ve never heard that!! It sounds really good.

Those flowers are lovely even if they are an April’s fools joke!

I <3 almost everything from Trader Joe's!!!

Heather April 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Heather,
Just a tip on eating beans; if you use dried beans, cook them with a piece of kombu. If you buy canned, buy Eden Organic brand as they cook their beans with kombu as well. The kombu helps in digestion, greatly!
I promise this tip works, try it out.
Be Well!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 2, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Cool – thanks Heather!

Melissa April 2, 2010 at 12:54 pm

luvs me some refried beans…have I told you I make my own (after soaking) and then re-fry in hot coconut oil? SERIOUSLY Yummy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 2, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Melissa, I think you did tell me about your refried beans in coconut oil. Sounds amazing!

Jessica R. April 2, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Oh my gosh, Heather, that is so funny — Travis has done that TWICE to me — the flower thing. :-) But I still love the effort — he had to think of me and bring them home. Awww our cheap and sweet husbands. :-)

Heather April 2, 2010 at 1:18 pm

bahahaha i guess it is the thought that counts :) i could really go for a bean burrito in the near future…!

Carbzilla April 2, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Does “Salsa Style” mean some tomatoes have gotten in on the action?

Did you see my April Fools? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Carbzilla, I don’t have the can in front of me, but no, I don’t recall any tomato chunks. I think Trader Joe’s just adds some spices to the beans to salsisfy them. :)

Diana April 2, 2010 at 1:33 pm

The wrap does look good! I love beans :)
Nop, didn’t fall for any april fools joke! We’re not big fans of the day here at home :P

Quix April 2, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Mmmm bean burritos sound nummy. Sometimes we’ll just make chili cheese ones (like taco bell used to carry) with amy’s spicy chili. :)

jenny April 2, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Mmm i love a wrap of refried beans and cheese- definetly a meal not meant for a weak stomach, though;)!

sonia @ master of her romaine April 2, 2010 at 1:36 pm

YUM that looks good…I used to looove Taco Bell’s 7-layer burrito in my less healthier days…must replicate it sometime….

theprocessofhealing April 2, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Mmmm that looks delicious!!!! I haven’t had refried beans in ages! Amy’s makes some great ones!

rebekah (clarity in creation.) April 2, 2010 at 1:40 pm

these are my FAVORITE refried beans! i can easily make them myself, but why would i when tj’s is such a godsend?

Janet (Pantry Bites) April 2, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I always liked my burritos really plain- just refried beans with a little bit of cheese.

VeggieGirl April 2, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for the mention :)

I need to incorporate more beans, since I haven’t done so in a while (except in the form of hummus).

Love the joke associated with the flowers, haha!

homecookedem April 2, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Those la tortilla factory wraps just can’t be beat – love ‘em!! I need to recreate this, looks great!! :)

Mae April 2, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Wow! We’re brain twins!! I do the same thing with humnut pizzas- the pinto beans get so warm and chewy…. Awesome! http://ohhmay.com/2010/01/28/its-a-pizza-pie-part-2-la-galleria-de-pizza/
what does salsa style mean? Does it have tomatoes and stuff mixed in?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 2, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Mae, According the list of ingredients, the Trader Joe’s refried beans, salsa style contain organic pinto beans, water, tomato paste, sea salt, dehydrated onions, jalapeno peppers, and spices. They are my favorite – not dry at all. Hate it when refried beans come out of the can looking liked canned dog food. Blech.

Jessica April 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I love TJ’s refried beans!

The Foodie Diaries April 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm

ooooooomg i am currently making my way through a new favorite salsa and it’d be AMAZING with refried pintos (which ive actually never had–but just KNOW id fall in with)!

Lara (Thinspired) April 2, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Awww, the flowers are still purty, no matter who actually bought them ;)

Did I know you used to be a vegetarian? I don’t think so. Was that before or after you lost weight? I’m intrigued :)

Happy Friday, dear Heabie!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Lara, I was a vegetarian for 5 years and a vegan for 3 in the few years after my weight loss. However, I was using it as a way to restrict my eating and while training for a long trail race decided to add meat back into my diet. There are many days when I don’t even think about eating meat, but I don’t think I could ever completely give it up again…I love bacon. :)

Lara (Thinspired) April 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Got it :) I am pretty sure I could never give up meat 100% either. I am inspired by the way you eat meat, moderately, organically, and grass-fed. That is my goal these days :)

Jenn (eating bender) April 2, 2010 at 2:43 pm

That wrap looks amazing! Sure you don’t want to use a Flatout wrap though? Ok ok, I promise I’m shutting up about them now :) I just am over the moon with excitement, if you couldn’t tell already!

Love your April Fools joke from CD! And I’ve been following the So Delicious deliciousness…YUM! I’m so glad it’s finally warm out and I’m craving cool treats again!

Have a fab weekend, HEAB!

Mama Pea April 2, 2010 at 3:05 pm

“I’ll take two bean burritos without the onions and with mild sauce….and a Diet Pepsi.” Wait, what? I lost myself for a moment. Love your version…though I’m tempted to stop by TB for a few mild sauce packets. :)

jentrinque April 2, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Mm, that does look good. I need to find some of that mustard, though.

eatmovelove April 2, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I love beans! I have the Refried in my cupboard and will have to try that.

I seen an old (said in the nicest way!) man today buying flowers from a side-walk sale and then getting in his old truck and laying them carefully on the seat beside him…

seemed so beautiful that maybe he was taking them home to his wife…

or maybe he lives alone and just wanted to brighten his place…who knows. But flowers are beauty.

McKella April 2, 2010 at 3:53 pm

That looks delicious! I love refried beans so much. I like to eat them in a wrap with greens and avocado. Even tastes great cold.

Kella

BroccoliHut April 2, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I am a huge fan of refried beans–especially refried black beans. I highly recommend the Whole Foods brand of refried black beans with jalapenos–delicious!

Samantha April 2, 2010 at 4:34 pm

At least the flowers are pretty! :)

jacobc April 2, 2010 at 4:56 pm

texted my girlfriend around midday that i just ate a double bacon cheeseburger and fries from wendys… she doesn’t do fast food either and was shocked.. april fools, ha!

Evan Thomas April 2, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I loooove beans. I love them more than gluten which is why I make brownies with them :-)

Katie April 2, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I used to get weird looks at mexican restaurants when I’d request a quesadilla without cheese, but with refried beans. I had completely forgotten about it though!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) April 2, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Ah….that reminds me of the old days when I’d get bean & cheese burritos with extra onions from taco bell. Also reminds me that I should make bean burritos more often at home!

caronae April 2, 2010 at 6:00 pm

That sounds like the perfect wrap!!!! I crave beans about once every month or two. Refried pinto sounds delish. Have a good weekend!

candicemccoy April 2, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I love refried beans! I always eat them when I make vegan enchiladas. In fact, that’s what I ate tonight!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie April 2, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I just read your comment on what’s in those refried beans and may have to try them now! Your Mex pizza looks awesome too.

I haven’t tried La Tortilla Factory yet, but hear they are awesome. I actually just made some spelt-flax tortillas tonight and was impressed with the results! They were surprisingly simple.

theemptynutjar April 2, 2010 at 11:06 pm

wow, i didnt know u used to be veg…learn something new about u everyday…what else are u hiding from us? :)
refried beans in a tortilla are yum
too bad u cant have cheese
but at least your humnut sauce satisfies you!

jenny (green food diaries) April 2, 2010 at 11:16 pm

wow, that seriously looks like real cheese. you had me fooled good. lovely flowers.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 3, 2010 at 1:26 am

beans, beans great for the….

indeed. And i can’t eat them. But it looks great!

Katherine: What About Summer? April 3, 2010 at 6:19 am

I’m not huge on the mushed up beans but I love canned ones! way to be HEAB
Katherine

PS: I got on facebook and you were there on my homepage too thanks to turtle mountain. it’s like you’re following me (which ironically you can follow blogs on wordpress…)

Sarah April 3, 2010 at 7:44 am

I want one of those burritos now!! They look so much yummier than the nasty Taco Bell garbage I used to cure hangovers in college.

I’ve never tried TJ’s refried beans but I’m thinking I should give them a whirl…

Gena April 4, 2010 at 5:50 am

These tortilla recipes look great! I’ll soon be posting a hummus-esque recipe I think you’ll dig. Stay tuned :-D

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 4, 2010 at 9:19 am

I LOVE those TJs beans. I could seriously have a bean quesadilla/burrito every day.

Derek actually came home from Fresh & Easy (his obsession) with Daffodils. I told me cousin that they weren’t in fact for me (she accused me of being mean!) and I said, ‘seriously Derek loves daffodils like a read man should not’ :-) hahah

Bekah April 6, 2010 at 7:37 pm

bean and cheese burritos.. brings me back to my childhood! Mexican restaurants and the days before my parents made me order something with real animal protein in it, I used to looove getting bean and cheese burritos! I love it when you bring it back to simplicity Heather. Great post.