Welcome New Readers

by HEAB on April 3, 2010

Yesterday, a link to this interview I did a while ago appeared on AOL’s homepage. I had actually forgotten about it, and didn’t realize it was going live until I was informed via email. I also didn’t realize how much traffic the interview would bring to my blog. It was by far the busiest day in all of HEAB’s history, and so I’d like to welcome any new readers. My inbox has been flooded with emails asking me about my weight loss, my diet, and my exercise. So, I thought I’d use today’s post to answer some of your questions. Regular HEABers, sorry if this old news to you. Feel free to come back tomorrow for Pancake Sunday. :)

I lost my weight on a mostly veggie diet, and all I did was walk for the most part. I didn’t start exercising like crazy until after I lost the weight, and it only caused me to over-eat and over-exercise. It was an awful cycle. Now I’m back to a more healthy balance and feeling so much better.

The way of eating that worked for ME (not the plan for everyone) was plenty of fat, some carbs, and some protein. I seem to do okay with complex carbs like oats, millet, whole grain tortillas, etc., but sugar is not my friend…including fruit and other natural sweeteners. I am eating more animal fat these days, but again as long as I concentrate on the fat and not the protein (think whole eggs over egg whites), my weight stays in check. I eat about 1800 to 2000 calories a day, and my fat intake makes up about 50% of my daily calories. This is what works for me, and as far as exercise goes, tons of cardio will get you no where. In fact, all it usually does is increase your appetite. I’m a big advocate of walking and yoga or strength training.

Here are some older posts you might find helpful:

My Weight Loss Advice

Say No to Sugar

Confessions of a Former Runner – my journey from running to yoga.

My Recipe Page

And here is one to make you smile: Egg Art

I send all my cardio junkies who want to cut back to this post over at Mark’s Daily Apple.

Another post that was really eye opening for me was this post over at PaNu on how to lose weight. For all of you who struggle with weight loss and nothing seems to work, I highly suggest reading it.

Many of you have asked what I typically eat in a day. Well, let me show you.

I find that if I start the day off with something sweet, it only sets me up for carb cravings all day. Therefore, breakfast usually centers around eggs, but if I’m really craving oatmeal or something sweet, I’ll eat it.

Typical breakfast: Eggs Benedict, HEAB style. HEAB = Heather Eats Almond Butter. :)

Lunch might look something like this: Roasted vegetables with chopped avocado.

And I always like a little something sweet after lunch and dinner, often involving chocolate. My favorite are Baker’s unsweetened chocolate baking squares. I like it bitter. :)

I don’t usually snack in-between meals, but if I get hungry in the afternoon, I’ll have some dark chocolate or a low-cal smoothie to tide me over until dinner.

Dinner is always veggie based: HEABified Nachos

Dessert: Roasted kabocha squash

So, again, welcome to all my new readers. I’m glad you found me and thanks for reading! I started blogging to help others and share my story, so please never hesitate to email me with your questions.

P.S. I often mention CD, my husband, in many of my posts. CD stands for Chris and our last name begins with a “D”. I provide the food, and CD provides the humor. :)

Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday weekend!

janetha April 3, 2010 at 9:21 am

this was a great idea to let all your new readers know about your fabulousness :) have a great weekend, heabs! sure love you!

theprocessofhealing April 3, 2010 at 9:23 am

I’m not a new reader but I really enjoyed this post! I actually never knew a lot of the things that you shared. And those links are awesome!!! I’m definitely reading the one about running and cardio. And you know, it’s really true. Now, I love my cardio and I can’t wait to get back to it after my recovery. BUT it’s been 3 months and counting since i’ve done cardio (for the most part) and you know, I haven’t gained a ton of weight. I *think* i’m about the same. I have lost muscle but that’s because I’ve been on complete rest for a couple of weeks. But I could see how reducing cardio could actually be a good thing!

Run Sarah April 3, 2010 at 9:27 am

Great article – I love that photo of you doing yoga, it’s one of my favourites! I love this little recap of all my favourite HEAB recipes too.

Diana April 3, 2010 at 9:30 am

Have a great weekend! :)

Danielle April 3, 2010 at 9:32 am

I tried unsweetened chocolate the other day & I loved it! Next thing you know, I’ll be muching on cocoa beans :D

Chocolate-Covered Katie April 3, 2010 at 9:32 am

Happy Easter to my favorite kabocha-eating twinnie :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie April 3, 2010 at 9:33 am

That is such an inspirational story HEAB. Thanks for sharing the link with us old-timers too :)

Melissa April 3, 2010 at 9:37 am

Heather – longtime reader here :) I love to see that new people are coming to your site. And that yoga picture of you is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for continuing to do what you do!

Heather April 3, 2010 at 9:38 am

woohoo!!! welcome new readers indeed…your amazing story and amazing attitude have already helped me more than i could say :) thank you so much for sharing your story again :)

hair in my coffee April 3, 2010 at 9:44 am

Having known you for a long time now, I just want to say that your commitment to living healthfully is awesome! And you look better than anyone we went to high school with! Give yourself some love today!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 3, 2010 at 9:53 am

Thanks Hair in my Coffee. :)

Jenn (eating bender) April 3, 2010 at 9:52 am

Genius! I just read your post over at That’s Fit! It’s a huge website, so I’m not surprised you got some new readers – especially because your particular story is so darn inspiring. New HEAB readers, listen up: this girl is worth subscribing to because she will fill your life with humor, wit, interesting food combinations and that dose of CD feedback that all of us HEAB “vets” know and love :)

Have a fantastic weekend, Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 3, 2010 at 9:53 am

Thanks Bender!!

Carbzilla April 3, 2010 at 9:53 am

How awesome that a whole new brood of HEABers has been hatched! You are an amazing inspiration.

Ameena April 3, 2010 at 9:55 am

Congrats on your interview and your new readers! You are inspirational to us all.

Claire April 3, 2010 at 9:55 am

The newbies are sure to become HEAB addicts,too!!:-)cc

Mara @ What's for Dinner? April 3, 2010 at 10:01 am

HUGE congrats on the interview!! I love that you’ve taken the time to welcome the new readers who are sure to love you as much as we all do :)
Happy Saturday friend!

Lindsay April 3, 2010 at 10:03 am

Great post and congrats on your new readers. They will be inspired by you daily! I love Mark’s Daily Apple and PaNu. Thanks for sharing those links! Happy Almost Pancake Sunday!

Kelly April 3, 2010 at 10:03 am

I am not a new reader but I still loved reading about you! Have a great weekend with CD! :)

Jessica April 3, 2010 at 10:13 am

Congrats on the interview! :)

Jenn (gh) April 3, 2010 at 10:13 am

Heather I didn’t know our philosophy was so similiar. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that post on Marks daily apple as well. There is also a great one called “the last nail in the cardio coffin” by Rachel Cosgrove. Both are on my best posts list. :-)

I also didn’t know your feelings about sugar. It is NOT my friend either. I consider myself a recovered/ing sugar addict.

The links aren’t working on my phone but I look forward to coming back to this post when I get to a computer and checking them out.

april April 3, 2010 at 10:37 am

I totally agree with you on cardio! I’ve cut back so much and increased my strength training.. and my body looks better than ever!

Liz April 3, 2010 at 10:50 am

Glad to see that your great blog is getting even more readers :) ! Happy Easter!

kettlebelllove April 3, 2010 at 10:51 am

Wow, how cool that you were featured on the AOL page. You’re famous! :) I’m a healthy fat eater too, always 50-60% fat in my daily intake. It works for me too.

Congrats on all the new readers!

- Beth

homecookedem April 3, 2010 at 11:01 am

Very cool to have that article written up about you!! Now more of the world gets to see what an amazing lady you are!! :)

Mama Pea April 3, 2010 at 11:13 am

To all HEAB’s new readers: Heather is so sweet and wonderful and reading her blog has brought me so much joy! Even though I am not on a weight loss journey, HEAB has definitely been inspiring to me in so many ways. Consider yourself lucky to have found her. I know I do!

tiffnie April 3, 2010 at 11:35 am

Awesome! I’ve been following your blog for about 2 months now but I found this post to be very enlightening! Thanks for sharing! And as always, your food looks AMAZING!!!

jentrinque April 3, 2010 at 11:39 am

Cool. I’ve read this blog on and off, and more regularly the last couple of weeks, and those links you provided to new readers today were great. I really respect the way you eat and live. I don’t do everything you do, as it’s about what’s best for us as individuals, but I love reading about the way you prepare veggies, aren’t afraid of fat, and eat desserts that are anything but standard. It’s wonderful.

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Jen,
Thanks so much for the support. :)

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Jen,
Just realized you left this comment back in April of 2010. Haha, sorry – my brain is apparently fried at the moment. I was thinking, I know Jen – she’s been around for a while, and so I didn’t quite understand your comment. I was commenting on today’s post and somehow started responding to comments on this old post…and on that note, I think it’s time for bed. ;)

annecalista April 3, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I have been reading your blog for awhile, but definitely needed to hear that message that lots of cardio won’t really make you that fit. I feel so stuck in doing an hour of cardio, five days a week, but would love to be where you are, doing more yoga and just walking or hiking. I will definitely read the posts you suggested and really get thinking about this… thank you! :-)

Melissa April 3, 2010 at 12:16 pm

OK…so i read the PaNu post…but I dont get it. As I stuffed my face last night with my feeling emotionally weak cinnamon sugar toast..I thought..do I have too much information on too many ways? I can make awesome fat foods and whole foods galore but Im still eating for comfort and afraid to step on the scales for seeing that needle finally push past the 200 mark. Help! I know i feel better with fats but I cant make sense of PaNu post….

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Melissa, For me, and for many others, it seems our bodies can’t handle many carbs or any excess protein. I’m not NO carb by any means, but I do watch my intake. The body converts all carbs to glucose and any excess protein to glucose as well…and that’s the LAST thing my body needs. The body will never convert fat to glucose, and it can burn fat for energy. Some people can eat carbs all day long and not gain an ounce, but that’s not how my body works. As long as I concentrate on fat and keep my carb and protien intake to a minimum, I seem to do okay. Again, this is what works for me. There are many “whole foods” out there that I don’t eat. Even if it doesn’t come in a “package”, doesn’t mean it’s not full of calories and sugar. Gluten free vegan cookies? Quite tasty, yes, but are they going to help you lose weight becuase they’re “healthy” cookies? Probably not.

Liz August 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I know, I’m totally unearthing an old comment, but how did you learn that about your body, that it converts all of that to glucose for you? Did you see a nutritionist or get tested for something?

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Liz,
I knew sugar was a problem for a while as when I gave it up completely, my weight just started falling off. However, for the longest time, I could not figure out my deal with protein as I kept trying the whole 6-small meals a day thing with tons of lean protein, but it never worked for me. I posted about it here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/01/28/fat-is-our-friend/.

Evan Thomas April 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Congrats on the new success! I hope your story helps more people; it’s definitely a message that’s not out there much but would probably help some

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 3, 2010 at 12:47 pm

You’re famous, Heather! Well, we knew that before yesterday :) Congrats on your success…both on the bloggie of course but also your journey towards health and for all that you’ve accomplished…you know I love ya!
xoxo

jenny (green food diaries) April 3, 2010 at 1:04 pm

i completely understand where you’re coming from about the over-cardio thing. when i was recovering from my eating disorder, i ate more but kept the cardio the same, meaning an hour of running and an hour of strength every day of the week… and that did me no good even though it made me feel great. that was a year ago, and i know better now. i need to get back onto yoga.

eatmovelove April 3, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Congratulations on all your success!

Janet (Pantry Bites) April 3, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Never to tired to hear about your success story. You are right in that there aren’t too many people who are successful with such large amount of weight loss on their own.

Sagan April 3, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Yay for more traffic! (Blog-style traffic, obviously. Not vehicle-style).

Thanks for the links; I’m going to check some of those out right now.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I saw you on there yesterday!! (I wasn’t at my computer so I didn’t get a chance to leave a comment or email). I read That’s Fit everyday and KNEW immediately when I saw the title that it was HEABY :) :)

jenny April 3, 2010 at 1:59 pm

You’re right- strength training and balanced eats are where it’s at!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 3, 2010 at 2:06 pm

You know I love what you do! Thanks for sharing your adventures in a healthy lifestyle!!! I wil have you know that you have caused me to be a pancake freak! I can’t get enough of them. I am starting to wonder if it is the pancakes or the fact that I use them as a vehicle to get the toppings into my mouth! Love ya HEAB!

Maggie April 3, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Couldn’t agree more :)

Katie April 3, 2010 at 3:05 pm

You’re awesome.

Samantha April 3, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Great recap…and some new links to read. I have PaNu open to read next. You know my struggles (which are still going on and I had another 5 vials of blood taken friday) so any ray of hope is a good thing. Happy Easter to you, CD and the pups!

Jen April 3, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Great condensed post! As a converted treadmill jogger (now doing CrossFit and…yoga!), I couldn’t agree more! Since I changed my workout routine (less “cardio”, more strength) and incorporated more good fats (in the form of avocado, coconut, fish oil, and walnuts) and lean protein, I have not only gotten stronger, I’ve become more lean and have more energy!

I too try to limit my fruit intake and focus on veggies, for my carbs. And, speaking of carbs…I am seriously addicted to kabocha squash!!! I have one roasting, as I type. So, thank you for that introduction. :)

And, thank you for adding a little something special to my morning routine!

Pure2raw twins April 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm

You are such an inspiration!!!

Have a great Easter!!

Holly April 3, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Heather, you summed up my rut perfectly! I will go and do killer cardio/intense running at the gym and later think, ‘Because I worked so hard, I can totally graze on my heart’s desire.’ It was getting to the point where I would eat 3 bowls of oatmeal as snacks in between meals! And then I’d want to go and exercise some more, and it was just nasty.

I am aware of my problem, and I have been working at tempering it. Oh! And I had my first legit vinyasa yoga class Friday afternoon. For the first time ever, I have that “good sore” after a yoga class. I think I found my groove!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 3, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Holly, Love finding that yoga groove – nothing else like it. :)

Gracie @ GirlMeetsHealth April 3, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Yes, yes, and yes!! Maybe I’m overreacting, but I seriously cannot put into words how much I appreciate this post and the links to those others =) I am in 100% agreement with you when it comes to exercise AND eating. It is such a relief to find a food blogger who has the same attitude towards those things, and apparently we have similar metabolisms as well (I react the same way to sugar, for sure). You’ve actually inspired me to cut out some of the unnecessary grains/sugars in my diet…and I’m perfectly okay with that…especially if it means more FAT :D

Keep doing what you’re doing, girl! xoxo

chariander April 3, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I’ve heard your story in bits and pieces over the year (years?) that I’ve been reading your blog now and I have to say this summary was fantastic! I’d never put all the pieces together like that until you parsed it out for me. Two paragraphs, so simple yet TONS of time-earned wisdom. Thanks again for sharing all of this with us!

PS> Today my lunch was positively HEAB. 5 different veggies sauteed in coconut oil on a bed of spinach and topped with a mixture of hummus/miso/nutritional yeast. Sweet potato ((roasted in the OVEN for sure) for dessert. It was divine and I’m still full from it 7 hours later!

Ro April 3, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Hi Heather.
LOVE your blog. I have been looking for some inspiration and encouragement as I try to shed YEARS of pounds that I let add on due to stress and other factors. I am trying to overcome some health issues without having to add another pill to the medicine cabinet. I look forward to more of your posts and hope to pick up some good recipes and ideas along the way.

Susan April 4, 2010 at 12:12 am

Great site, love the recipes! So what’s up with the almond butter?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 4, 2010 at 5:24 am

Susan, I love my fats: eggs, butter, nuts, etc., and almond butter just happens to be one of my favorites. I’ll go through phases when I eat it in and on everything. Funny I didn’t post any almond butter pictures yesterday as I usually eat it everyday. Thanks for reading!

Gena April 4, 2010 at 5:49 am

Yup, this looks like my HEAB! I love your way of living and eating, and love that you know what’s ideal for your bod. Delicious looking lunch and dinner, BTW :)

Nancy April 4, 2010 at 8:32 am

Thank you so much for posting this! I just came across your blog via That’s Fit and I love your philosophy/tips/recipes/style. I’m looking forward to being a “regular” here and following your suggestions to see if they work for me. Thanks again!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 4, 2010 at 9:08 am

So great! I didn’t know you did one of those AOL interviews- congrats! And it was great to have a HEAB summary (so cute. Heab 101A- HEAB=Heather Eats Almond Butter, and CD = Chris…love it!). I do need to revisit some of those links you sent= I think I read them ages ago. I haven’t returned the lady’s email about doing an aol interview yet, but perhaps one of these days. Would love to hear about your experience. Derek was worried it would bring me weird random icky people from aol :-)

Alice April 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I’m not a new reader either, but I still loved this post. Much of this stuff I didn’t know and I am especially interested in the whole cardio vs yoga idea. I am a runner and I love it! However I am just beginning some yoga now to help improve my flexibility and stress levels.

Ate a totally HEAB inspired dinner last night to try and combat the easter choccies! Lots of veggies! Definatey did the trick and I will have to do it more often!

Alice
xx

Marcia April 5, 2010 at 9:34 am

I like fat :) especially the free avocados from my boss’s orchard.

But I also like cardio. For the fitness aspect.

Certainly, I think it’s easier for me to keep my weight in check when I have a good balance of some hard cardio (3x a week), some strength training, and yoga. I certainly find that I get stressed and am more likely to get sick if I skip the yoga. If I get out of whack and focus too much on the running and not enough on the other, I tend to gain a couple of pounds.

I’ve been training for some distance runs (1/2 marathons). Now, I’m no “runner”. You know … people who place, women who run 7:00-8:00 miles. That ain’t me. I’m a 9-11 min miler, depending on the distance (for a half – 10:30). I’m short. I’m stocky. I’ve given birth. I have hip issues if I try to run faster than a 10:00 for long distances. What I have found, however, is that my resting heart rate and my blood pressure are lower than they have ever been. The distance running has put me in better cardiovascular shape than I’ve ever been, and I’m turning 40 this year.

But only at 3x a week. I don’t need (nor do I want) to do the “typical” “real runners” schedule of 5x a week. (and a secret – I run with an Ipod! Which apparently “real runners” don’t use either.)

If only I could get my kid to sleep later so that my morning yoga routine didn’t come with “mommy, stop doing yoga! play candyland with me!” Kinda negates some of the relaxing aspect.

Lara (Thinspired) April 5, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Great article, Heabie! Now the rest of the world can fall in love with the way your devoted long-time readers have :)

marshell y. Roper April 5, 2010 at 5:49 pm

All the recipes sound great and look great!! If only my budget could afford, I would be willing to eat them all!!

{ 1 trackback }