Pancakes & Polly

by HEAB on April 4, 2010

Look who I went to church with this morning…

My favorite yoga teacher is in town. Love her so much, and the men in our lives finally got to meet. Look, 3 of my favorite people all one photo…Dan, CD, and Polly. Aren’t they cute? :)

Polly, so good to see you. Hopefully, it won’t be another whole year before we meet up again! After church and visiting for a while, it was time to fire up the griddle for some pancakes. Looking back, I should have made some kind of Easter themed pancakes or thrown a marshmallow Peep on top or something. Do you guys like Peeps? Blech, can’t stand them myself. Two years ago, CD and I were in charge of the Peeps Tower at our annual Easter brunch we attend. Looks like we failed… um yeah, Peeps do not make very good building material.

l_b0013185e5652d636edebd25718aa02a.jpg

Anyway, no Easter themed cakes today, but they still looked tasty, no?

Inspired once again by Allie’s low carb pancakes, I beat 1 whole egg with egg whites and sifted in 2 TBSP coconut flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder. I then stirred in 1/4 cup Me & Goji hot cereal and allowed the batter to thicken for a few minutes while I warmed up the griddle. When it was ready, I fried 3 big cakes over low heat, flipping once. The chia seeds in the cereal provided some major fluff, and I loved the added texture of the muesli cereal. Nothing like a thick pancake with a little chew! For toppings, I recommend Trader Joe’s roasted almond flaxseed butter. :)

So Happy Easter and Happy Pancake Sunday! What did you do today and what was your favorite Easter candy as a child? I loved the mini crunchy milk chocolate eggs with the hard candy shell and the Reece’s Eggs. No peeps for me!

Julie @ Pickley Pear April 4, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Your pancakes, once again, look amazing! No peeps for me, they look gross and I have low blood sugar!

Carolyn April 4, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Big giant chocolate covered egg… some type of white nouget nut smear inside.. I’m talking butt builder huge egg..Like five-six times the size of a Cadbury… knawed on it for days…thanks mom…

Today my favorite candy was a bowl of chocolate pb oat bran.. just as good!

Michal April 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Eh Ive never been a peep fan, too much marshmallow. BLECH! Happy easter heather :)

Waterfall April 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Aww, so good you got to spend your Easter with Polly! You are so lucky and very blessed!

Happy Easter!!! :)

P.S. Do you see the big circle/light thing over top of you and Polly in the picture? Maybe that’s what happens when 2 yoga goddesses come together? haha ;)

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) April 4, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I don’t like Peeps either – too sweet and fake!

I really need to find some coconut flour – sounds like it’s fun stuff to experiment with :)

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 4, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I used to love peeps when I was little…I’d put them in the freezer!!

Erica April 4, 2010 at 3:46 pm

awwwww Polly! Cute pic of you two. Glad you’re having a nice Easter. We went to a later Easter lunch at my parents and are relaxing now! I used to loveeee peeps. Now they make me ill haha. The pancakes look fantastic- a great sweet celebration.

theemptynutjar April 4, 2010 at 4:44 pm

nice pancakes. if i ever get my own kitchen, i cant wait to have more fun with stuff.
hope u have a nice easter — i just finished a monster meal..lying back with the elastic waistband …yeh …easter chocolates..all kinds as a kid and love chocolate now – a must for every day :)

The Foodie Diaries April 4, 2010 at 4:46 pm

i had matzah brie for breakfast hahaha–which, by the way, i think you’d ADORE.

ah, jews on easter… hope yours was wonderfu;l!

Katie April 4, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Great pancakes, as per usual. I was always a huge Robin Egg fan – basically a whopper with a candy shell.

VeggieGirl April 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm

LOVE YOU AND POLLY!

fartygirl April 4, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Those look like the best pancakes ever made ever.

Sagan April 4, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Mmm I like the idea of adding the cereal to pancakes! Tasty.

My favourite Easter treat as a kid was the milk chocolate bunny… the giant kind with the solid head and the hollow body. I didn’t care much for the chocolate eggs; I just wanted that bunny!

theprocessofhealing April 4, 2010 at 5:35 pm

The chocolate eggs and Reese’s were my favorite candies :) Yum!!
Your pancakes always look sooo amzzing!

Evan Thomas April 4, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Happy easter! I hope you had a good celebration. We did the standard church and family lunch, with a birthday cake and else. I was all about the reeses peanut butter egg. Trader Joe has all natural ones, but they’re so disappointing :-( You should make homemade almond butter eggs!

Meghan Telpner April 4, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Your pancakes always look amazing. Looking forward to our pancake brunch… whenever it may be!

Mandy A April 4, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Your pancakes are lovely, as always :) We had french toast for Easter breakfast today! But I normally do my oatmeal pancakes on sundays!

Looks like a great way to start your Easter day! So glad you got to see Polly!

Um yeah – we were spoiled with Reese’s this year. I think I could open my own store. Not what I need with this 20 pound weight gain… but oh well :)

Miss you lady… hope to see you soon!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 4, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I made a big Easter feast with my family up in Philly and even made a cake that was shaped and decorated like a lamb! Took lots of pictures too of course.

When I was a kid, my favorite Easter candy was the peanut butter reese’s eggs. Today they’re not so bad either! I love the mini cadberry eggs too. yum.

Kim April 4, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Heather, you and Polly look SO beautiful! I love, love, love Polly’s blog as well. Her sprit just brings me joy everytime I read it (just like yours). Seriously, gorgeous!

As a kiddo, we had some candy, but I think my parents were too lazy for the Easter thing and just put money in our eggs, which was fine by me. My grandparents gave us these disgusting creme filled eggs from Fannie May that were SO sweet my teeth hurt. They were not cheap either. We never ate them. The Easter Bunny brought Bella a tiny bit o sweet ( thanks WF) and mostly more Zhu Zhu “stuff” and a Webkinz. I threw in some store bought safe candy just to see. Guess what she reached for first? You guessed it, the fruit juice sweetened gummy bunnies from WF!

No peeps here either. Bella learned what are in “real” marshmallows, and needless to say, she wants nothing to do with them again.

Happy Easter!

midgetkeeper April 4, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Jelly beans!

Lindsay April 4, 2010 at 7:15 pm

ya, I’m not a fan of peeps either. My husband is obsessed with Cadburry cream eggs abut I think I just like good old fasion hard boiled easter eggs! We had Kabocha protein pancakes for brunch. DELISH!

Claire April 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Cadbury Eggs and Jelly Beans!Mmmm….cc

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm

You guys look so cute! How fun to meet up again.

I’m officially obsessed with the TJs almond/flax butter. It tastes like they pour sugar in but there’s nothing in the ingredients but almonds, flax and salt. Love that they leave the flax whole- they’re so crunchy.

Happy Easter!

And hopefully he will take this as a compliment, but CD (and you) look about 17 yrs old in the Peeps photo. And I’m sorry friend. I adore peeps. Hope you can still love me.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 4, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Of course I still love you Deb, Peeps and all! :)

Katherine: What About Summer? April 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm

You two look so happy standing together- like good friends! you’re so lucky for living close together. I love trader joes! absolutely hate peeps.
Katherine

eatmovelove April 4, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I second Evan’s vote for home-made AB eggs!! Feature post perhaps?

I don’t know what Peeps are LOL!! Are they more of a U.S thing? Loved anything with caramel as a kid – I remember I hated just plain milk chocolate – I always thought it was too plain! – now I LOVE it. Reeses’ was my friend today…

I’m jealous of your Blogger meet-ups – you must live in the centre of Bloggersville there! :)

rebecca lustig April 4, 2010 at 7:55 pm

you look stunning!

Glad you had a good Easter!!

Heather April 4, 2010 at 8:08 pm

how fun! i didn’t know that Polly was your favorite…i LOVE her blog :) i am actually one of probably 5 people in the whole wide world who HATES peeps (and I guess you are too!) – i don’t love marshmallows in general, but those are just gross! hope you guys continue to have an amazing easter!

jenny April 4, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Such a small world! Happy Easter:)

Pure2raw twins April 4, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Oh Polly is so cute..we love her yoga videos.

Never been a fan of Peeps.

caronae April 4, 2010 at 8:53 pm

So cool you got to hang out with Polly! I love her blog! I hate peeps too. I like the peanut butter m and m’s and the reese’s eggs (but I did not get one in my basket this year,sadly). Happy Easter Heather!

Cherie April 4, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Happy Easter Heather & CD! Looks like you guys had a wonderful day. As for childhood candy….I’ve never been a peeps fan either. But I do really miss the Reece’s Eggs too. Some day I’m going to try to make Lauren’s low-carb version to get a fix!

Jenn April 4, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Before I quit candy and all I used to love peeps. Sick I know.

LOVE your dress. Lovely! I’ve recently decided I need more purple in my life.

Mama Pea April 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I LOVE your dress…but not nearly as much as I love that Polly girl. :) What an amazing Easter experience to go to church with her! I dream of a bloggie meetup with you gals.

brittany April 4, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I am a fan of your dress…very cute and very easter.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 5, 2010 at 12:42 am

What an amazing meetup, I love it! You both are sportin’ frocks that I would love :) as well as a meetup with you two lovely ladies!!! xoxo

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) April 5, 2010 at 2:18 am

I wanted a damn Peep all day long but never got around to buying any. It’s not really the taste, but the memories. Just one’ll do me…I can just give the rest to my roomies, hehe.

Beautiful pancakes, as always!

Carolyn April 5, 2010 at 3:38 am

I agree with Deb. I can’t believe the Peeps tower failure photo was taken just two years ago. You do look all glowy and young.. Must have been those newlywed love sparks reflecting off each other.. :-)

Your still both adorable now..(nice haircut CD) but that peepture is just way too cute.

Melissa S. April 5, 2010 at 6:18 am

Ah, so glad you got to see Polly! I just started doing some of her online yoga videos! :)

the pancakes look great! glad you had a tasty easter morning!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) April 5, 2010 at 7:36 am

Heather, you look so pretty, love that dress! Glad you had a great Easter :)

glidingcalm April 5, 2010 at 8:18 am

AW POLLY n fam! so fun!!!

That peep tower is hysterical. I totally want to go make one RIGHT NOW. Oofffie!

Love your pancake action…always! Those look so plump and yumster!!

have a wonderful week HEAB!

fitandfortysomething April 5, 2010 at 9:20 am

you are the pancake queen :)
what a fun meet up with Polly!

Whit April 5, 2010 at 9:27 am

You + Polly = two of the cutest ever. I love it.

Alisa - Frugal Foodie April 5, 2010 at 9:56 am

Those pictures are adorable! I will have to check out Polly’s videos – I haven’t seen them.

thewhatkateateblog April 5, 2010 at 3:52 pm

You guys are so cute! I just kind of got excited when I saw that you guys were hanging out together – so weird!

{ 1 trackback }