HEAB's Oats

by HEAB on April 6, 2010

A couple of weeks ago, [Me] & Goji contacted me to see if I would be interested in building my own cereal on their site and doing a review on the blog. So, I excitedly got online and began building. A few days later, these arrived on my doorstep…

One container of my own concoction, HEAB’s Chocolate Cherry Oats, and a container of [Me] & Goji’s Hot Cereal recipe.

In my cereal, I used gluten free oats, ground cinnamon, cacao nibs, dried cherries, unsweetened coconut flakes, and macadamia nuts. I couldn’t wait to try them. Over the weekend, I used the [Hot Cereal] & Goji in Sunday’s pancakes and in a batch of Maple Nut Oaties. It worked wonderfully in both recipes, and I was looking forward to making something with my HEAB oats.

Since the weather warmed up, I have had no desire for hot cereal and decided to keep things nice and cold with a bowl of overnight oats. So, last night, I added 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk to 1 serving of HEAB’s Chocolate Cherry Oats.

After allowing the cereal to soak overnight in the fridge, I woke up to a lovely bowl of thickened oats. Look at all that yummy cinnamon!

I did not cook my oats, but did thickened up the mix a bit more with this…

I love love love Redwood Hill Farm goat milk yogurt. It tastes just like cow’s milk yogurt, and goat’s milk doesn’t seem to affect me like cow’s milk does. So, every once in a while, I’ll indulge in a little goat cheese or goat milk yogurt. From the research I’ve done, apparently the proteins in goat milk products are easier for our bodies to digest. Anyway, love this stuff. By the way, does anyone have any recipes for a non-dairy, non-soy homemade yogurt that turns out thick and tangy? I just miss regular yogurt so much!

Here was my finished product for breakfast this morning…

How was it? Delicious. I loved my [Me] & Goji creation, and let me tell you, the company does not skimp on ingredients. Every bite was filled with coconut and cacao nibs and check out all the cherries and macadamia nuts contained in the dry mix. The natural sweetness of the dried cherries and coconut flakes off-set the tangy yogurt perfectly, and I loved the crunch from the nuts.

Have you ever built your own cereal? If not, I highly recommend [Me] & Goji as they have so many quality ingredients to choose from, and it was so much fun to get the container with my own personalized label printed on it. Plus, it tastes great. Still so impressed with the chunkage factor. Thanks again [Me] & Goji!

My one complaint is the cost. Honestly, it’s not cheap, especially when you factor in shipping. However, the company is holding a contest for a chance to win free [Me & Goji] cereal for a year. To enter, click here.

Tell me, what’s your favorite method for overnight oats?

Jessica @ How Sweet April 6, 2010 at 9:27 am

I haven’t – and my reason is the cost! I like making my own granola’s though and using them in cereal-form. :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 6, 2010 at 9:33 am

I made some homemade yougert awhile ago!! I used soy milk then, but have since used almond milk and it worked out!! I think the recipe is actually from Oh she glows!!

Heather April 6, 2010 at 9:38 am

i’ve never done a build-my-own cereal because it just costs so much to do it! i could imagine doing it if i had special dietary restrictions, but i’d rather spend my money on fresh produce and just get the cereal at the grocery store. your cherry chocolate combo looks amazing though – maybe i’ll try to build my own version!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 6, 2010 at 9:38 am

I use yogurt and just a splash of soymilk in my overnight oats. Oh and chia seeds of course!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 6, 2010 at 9:42 am

Goat milk structure is closer to human milk than cow’s milk is. That’s probably why it doesn’t affect you the same way.

theprocessofhealing April 6, 2010 at 9:42 am

Mmmm that sounds delicious! I’ve always wanted to try that company’s products but the cost is what gets me.
I just mix equal amounts of oats, milk, and yogurt – perfect every time!

Yasmin April 6, 2010 at 9:43 am

I actually soak mine in rose water. Absolutely phenomenal!

Mandy April 6, 2010 at 9:44 am

I always wish these places would ship to Canada.
Your overnight oats look delicious. I’ve never made them before, but I definitely will have to soon, especially with the weather getting warmer.

Aoife - Adventures in Veg April 6, 2010 at 9:46 am

That looks delicious! I like the idea of customising your cereal, it doesn’t look like the ship to Ireland unfortunately though :(

Evan Thomas April 6, 2010 at 9:48 am

Dear Lord, chocolate, cherry, and goats milk yogurt couldn’t be 3 more perfect ingredients for me. Yum!

Emily April 6, 2010 at 9:51 am

I’ve never tried overnight oats. that mix of yours looks yummy!

a friend of mine makes AMAZING raw almond yogurt and coconut kefir yogurt. both are super thick and tangy. one of these days I’ve got to try making some myself!

Ameena April 6, 2010 at 9:51 am

I have never had overnight oats…something about a hot breakfast just makes me crave oatmeal.

Love that Me & Goji has gluten-free oats to chose from!

Anna April 6, 2010 at 10:00 am

Yep, the cost keeps me away too– although the concept is so cool to me!! Very neat! When I win the lottery, I shall eat custom oats and granola for EVERY breakfast :-D

janetha April 6, 2010 at 10:02 am

geez. i wish the weather would warm up here. we got a couple of feet of snow last night! i have never ordered from the company, i will admit i’ve created some mixes, but never bought them because of the price! hope you are having a great day, heather!

runnerforever April 6, 2010 at 10:02 am

I have never made overnight oats, don’t even know how but everyone seems to love it so I really should give it a try. I want to build my own cereal…yum!

jenny (green food diaries) April 6, 2010 at 10:10 am

Heabs! I made your egg salad, minus the hummus (used just tahini instead). Thanks for the quick recipe!

Does goat milk yogurt taste the same as regular cow’s milk yogurt?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 6, 2010 at 11:33 am

Jenny, Yes, I think goat’s milk yogurt tastes exactly the same. I’ve tried regular old goat milk before and was not a fan, but I LOVE the taste of the yogurt.

Lauren April 6, 2010 at 10:33 am

I would love to build my own cereal. It does seem pricy but I hear its worth it. How perfect to have a cereal catered to my exact taste! :)

Hope you have a wonderful day Heather!

Akemi April 6, 2010 at 10:34 am

Personal mix of cereal! Sounds like a great idea. Do they use organic ingredients?

Btw I’ve been reading your blog for some time now, since I realized the importance of healthy fats in the diet. Trying to stay clear of all sugary foods, and healthy fats and protein seem to really help.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 6, 2010 at 11:51 am

Akemi, According Me & Goji, the company uses only all natural and organic ingredient in their cereals.

Glad to hear the no sugar thing is working for ya. :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) April 6, 2010 at 10:36 am

I still have never made overnight oats, but now that the weather is getting really warm, I have no desire for the hot ones, like you said. I usually go for smoothies but overnight oats would be a good way to mix things up :)

jenny April 6, 2010 at 10:38 am

i love berries and strawberry yogurt!

Diana April 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

I’ve never tried overnight oats! Must change this asap. :P

Sonia April 6, 2010 at 10:49 am

This is so awesome!!! That looks just delicious!

Hawley April 6, 2010 at 11:01 am

I think Gena at Choosing Raw has a coconut yogurt recipe that looks awesome: http://www.choosingraw.com/coco-nurt/

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 6, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Hawley – I remember Gena posting that recipe. :)

eatmovelove April 6, 2010 at 11:03 am

I have to try this overnight oats thing!
Build your own cereal ?!! Sounds like fun!
Love cinnamon.
HAH – and COST is the downfall of EVERYTHING! I’ve seen Goat’s milk yogurt, but can’t justify the cost….so I’ll stick with my source and silhouette ;)

Carolyn April 6, 2010 at 11:07 am

quick oats, Fage’, 12% dark pb flour, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and a little US van almond milk to thin…topped off with TJ almond butter w/flax and Natures Path millet/rice cereal .. …and yes… SPLENDA!!!

wish i had a bowl right now… :->

thedelicateplace April 6, 2010 at 11:15 am

i have yet to try overnight oats! however, i do enjoy me some RWHF goat-gurt. they are the only farm i know of to go commercial with goat yogurt. it is TANGY! def a love it or hate it food :)

Sarah R April 6, 2010 at 11:17 am

I still have not perfected overnight oats… I’m going to have to try out some new techniques!

Mama Pea April 6, 2010 at 11:24 am

Since I don’t do dairy, I love making overnight oats with almond milk and canned pumpkin! They still get soft and creamy. Now if I could just do something about the canned pumpkin shortage. I have a can of generic in my cupboard and I’m scared to use it…

Amy April 6, 2010 at 11:42 am

Wow, I thought I was the only goffy one using canned pumpking and quick oats overnight. I add tons of cinnamon and use almond milk. A couple of teaspons of ground flax seeds and a dash of vanilla. Yummers! Mama Pea – I’ve been getting organic canned pumpkin from Trader Joe’s. They never had a shortage in my area, even though I heard about it on the news.

Cereal looks awesome HEAB! Thanks for sharing!!

The Foodie Diaries April 6, 2010 at 11:47 am

favorite overnight oats method is equal portions oats, almond milk & yogurt left to sit overnight (duh)—buuuutttt, lately i’ve been cooking my oats the night before and then letting them soak in a container of yogurt–and i think i like that even better. reeeeeeeally voluminous

Becca April 6, 2010 at 11:54 am

Hey girl
-that cereal actually looks like something I would try! Usually cereal is just boring carbs to me, but I may at least look into this contest and see about getting me some free goodness. Thanks for sharing!

Katie April 6, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I used to eat a meusli/overnight oats very often. I’d combine 1/2 cup oats with 1/2 cup boiling water and let that sit for 10 min. Add in a cup of yogurt, 1 chopped apple, some raisins, and cinnamon and brown sugar. and then put that in the fridge overnight. SO creamy. Now I think I’d be more into it as a snack. It even sounds too sweet for me.

Janet (Pantry Bites) April 6, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I like my oats savory. Soaked in water overnight, cooked on the stove top with salt and real cream stirred through with some chopped walnuts on top. The salt and cream gives it a creamy nutty taste.

Michal April 6, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I would love to make my own cereal like that! I love making sweet overnight oats with lots and lots of cinnamon :)

Dana April 6, 2010 at 1:11 pm

mmmm that cereal looks AMAZING!! i use greek yogurt in my overnight oats mixed with a little milk. Danielle over at Coffee Run made “nutgurt” and heres the link!

maybe give that a try?! good luck!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 6, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Dana, Yes, I saw Danielle’s Nutgurt. That girl is brilliant!

Lisa April 6, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I love the concept…but soooooo could not justify the cost of that cereal! It looks totally delicious though!

fartygirl April 6, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Love love love soaked oats for brekkie. Vegan Dukka Girl hipped me to that one. Super cute can that your cereal came in. So does this mean that anyone can buy HEABs oats? Or were they made just for you?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Farty, I think they were just made for me but you could use the same ingredients and call them Farty Girl Oats. :)

kettlebelllove April 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I’ve been tempted a few times, especially since they offer gluten free, but…it’s hard for me to justify the cost. When I tried mixing up a combo the total was like $12 before shipping. Yikes. The combo you came up with sounds good!

- Beth

theemptynutjar April 6, 2010 at 2:46 pm

u always make me smile.
yes, i intend to try overnight oats ASAP..most people soak it in yogurt and milk the night before..then add more of each in morning…lots of ways to do it.and lots of toppings…

i tried goat milk yogurt before and liked it…havent had it in a LONG time…it is very very expensive….i might pick it up again sometime, but it cannot be as frequent as the cheaper, no-name brands, so it wouldnt be as regular…i like yogurt, so i need to buy the cheaper kind more frequently…the expensive every now and then!

congrats on having a HEAB cereal.

Jen April 6, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Yes, I’d love a good recipe for almond milk yogurt! I did make coconut milk yogurt once, but I used the full fat coconut milk and it was TOO rich. I could only handle a spoonful or two. http://healthylaps.com/2010/01/31/coconut-yogurt-grawnola/

maggie April 6, 2010 at 3:18 pm

My favorite thing is to let them soak in coconut milk or coconut creamer over night..obviously not the healthiest choice but delicious…maybe try coconut milk ice cream?

xoxo
Maggie

Jessica April 6, 2010 at 3:24 pm

It’s not homemade, but I’ve been using So Delicious Original Coconut Milk Kefir with granola and it is AWESOME!!! Tangy like yogurt, but not too sour-yum!

Nicole April 6, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Hi Heather!!! I hope you’re having a great day!!!!
I haven’t had overnight oats since I went GF, and out of everything, so far I’ve missed this the most. My fav. overnight oats concoction is 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup unsweetened soy, 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt, 1 tbsp. ground flax, and cinnamon. In the morning, I dump a tbsp. of PB or AB and slice up 1/2 banana. It’s my absolute favorite.
I haven’t gotten GF oats yet just bc I didn’t want to order them online but I think I might suck it up and just do it. I miss oats soooo much!

caronae April 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I was gonna suggest Gena’s coconut yogurt but it looks like someone already did! I had overnight oats just this morning! I like to use Greek yogurt, tons of cinnamon and raw oats with some chopped up fruit. Mmmmm.

Danielle April 6, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I love the idea of building your own cereal! I would probably add a billion things :)

I’ve made all types of non-dairy yogurt but if you want a really thick yogurt you’ll probably have to buy a starter. I’ve tried hemp milk yogurt and it was really good!

livingfreeforever April 6, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Hey Heather,
I don’t know if someone else has already suggested this or not, but I used to make yogurt with almond milk. I made my own milk, then made the yogurt and let it drip. It got super thick and creamy! My friend (Hope) tried this with store bought almond milk and said it didn’t work, but it always worked with the homemade almond milk. I think you would love it :) Oh, I had to add a little honey to give the bacteria something to feed on, but by the time it is fermented, it has very little if any sugar left in it. Hope it works if you try it!
XOXO
Kimberly

kellyO April 6, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Warm weather?! Not where I live – we woke up to FOUR inches of wet, sloppy snow!!! Your oats looked yummy, even in our cold weather…!

Manda's Days April 6, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Hey Heather!! First time commenting– I just caught up on your story, and I’m speechless. I also love that you support the right carbs and not too much ;) I’m going to enjoy getting caught up on your posts.

Melissa S. April 6, 2010 at 7:28 pm

i haven’t tried that yet…but i agree, it’s expensive. just like mix my granola…which keeps me from getting it more often.

Justine April 6, 2010 at 7:44 pm

That looks so yummy!

My favourite method for over nightoats is as follows:
rye flakes, wheat flakes, or oats in yogurt overnight
&
steel cut oats in milk overnight mixed into yogurt.
I do like to do oats in milk from time to time as well.

Have a good day!

metric89 April 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm

LOVE that yogurt. But then again I love most yogurts.
I’ve actually never had overnight oats! :o
I know, I know. I haven’t had oats at all for a while. I need to get on that. That and running outside.
Looks delicious, though those make-your-own cereals, bars, etc. are too expensive for what you get. Still want to try them though.

Have a good night! :)

Kate April 6, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Hi Heather! Love the blog! Coconut makes everything amazing! Must go make my own cereal immediately. This very moment.

nellatight April 6, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Goat’s milk yogurt is AMAZING! I agree that it’s easier to digest. But Greek yog will always be my number one.

Love your blog! Just wanted to delurk :)

<3 Nell

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 7, 2010 at 1:10 am

i agree, not cheap! i got to create a mix a few months back and good stuff, but could not afford to re-purchase on my own :(

xoxo

Lauren April 7, 2010 at 7:23 am

Oh my gosh — this is amazing!!! I’ve actually never heard of this company before, but the idea is genius! I’d love to create my own cereal if it weren’t for the high price…. About how many servings do you get out of each container? I guess it’d be easier to justify the splurge if it actually lasts a little while…

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 7, 2010 at 7:25 am

Lauren, According to the label, there are 21 servings per container.

Cherie April 7, 2010 at 8:53 am

What an interesting business concept. Very cool…

Ashley April 7, 2010 at 10:50 am

Have you ever tried Sheep’s Milk yogurt?? It is extremely smooth + creamy and really low in sugar. I had it for the first time and loved it. Larger Whole Foods stores carry it. Yum! I haven’t tried goat’s milk yogurt yet..will definitely have to. I love the me + goji packaging!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 7, 2010 at 11:46 am

Ashley, I’ve had sheep’s milk cheese, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried the yogurt. I’ll look for it. Thanks!

Deadra April 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Try searching yogurt in a crock pot… the sub not dairy milk. I make yogurt this way all of the time, it’s wonderful. I tried to make coconut milk yogurt and it didn’t work, but that was my fault, I’ll try again and let you know how it works.
Also a cow has 4 stomachs, so they can digest their own milk, a goat has one like us, so that milk is easier to digest.
My 2 year old can’t drink milk, so we’re a goaty family too.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 7, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Deadra, Yes, I’ve seen a few crockpot recipes using almond milk. Going to do some more research, and interesting about the goats. Never heard that before.

Pure2raw twins April 7, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Oh man I used to love eating goat yogurt, there is a local farmer that sells it. YUM.

We make our own yogurt out of coconut meat. We have how we do it on our blog. Does take a bit of work to open all the coconuts, but you can do it out of soaked cashews.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 8, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I adore goat yogurt more than any other kind. I wish they did a lower fat version though I know you’re not scurrred of the fat :-)

{ 1 trackback }