Almond Milk Yogurt

by HEAB on April 8, 2010

Guess what? I made my own yogurt, and it was easy.

First, I made Katie’s Agar pudding base using the following ingredients…

For those of you that don’t know, Agar Agar is a sea vegetable that works as a thickening agent. I bought mine in the seaweed/Asian foods section at Whole Foods. After bringing 1 1/2 cups almond milk + 1 heaping tsp Agar Agar flakes to a boil, it took about 7 minutes or so for the Agar Agar to dissolve. I then poured my pudding into a ceramic bowl and allowed it to cool before placing in the fridge to congeal.

After a couple of hours, I removed the pudding from the fridge and placed it in my Magic Bullet with about 1/4 cup more almond milk and the contents of 1 probiotic capsule (thanks for the idea Gena, Lori & Michelle, & Danielle). :)

End result after blending…

Creamy yummy almond milk yogurt filled with all my beneficial bacteria for the day. I always forget to take my probiotic. Well, I think I’ve found my new favorite way to remember. :)

Now, this did not have that yogurt tang, but I bet if you added a tsp of raw honey, and allowed the yogurt to ferment overnight in a warm spot, it would. However, I was too anxious to eat it. Perhaps I’ll try fermenting it next time. The honey is needed as the bacteria would need to feed on some form of sugar in order to ferment.

I didn’t add anything to the almond milk yogurt, but Katie has several blend-in ideas. I love my unsweetened almond milk ice cold & straight up plain. So, I thought the yogurt tasted delicious all on its own, and the probiotic did not alter the taste at all.

For this morning’s breakfast, I spread some of my yogurt on a toasted Ezekiel English muffin with sliced strawberries and raw walnut butter. So good!

So, this yogurt needs a name. AlmondGurt? AlmGurt? AgarGurt? What do you guys think, and are you going to try it? I really think you should!

Who is NOT a fan of So Delicious on Facebook, and if not, what are you waiting for?!? ;)

Beth April 8, 2010 at 8:47 am

Wow what a cool idea! You’re braver than I am! :P

Chocolate-Covered Katie April 8, 2010 at 8:52 am

AlmondGurt? LOL!! I am SO going to have to go out and buy probiotic capsules now! Another cool idea from the house of Heather!

Oh, and I’ve been meaning to email you: Are you out of teff yet? You know who to holler at when you need more :) .

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) April 8, 2010 at 8:52 am

This is so cool! I will definitely try it soon, just need to write myself a note, haha.

theprocessofhealing April 8, 2010 at 8:55 am

That is so cool!!!! You constantly amaze me at what you make, incredible! I can’t imagine life without yogurt…
Yogurt on English Muffins is the BOMB! YUM!

claire April 8, 2010 at 8:57 am

What a great idea!I definitely need to try it:-)

Melissa April 8, 2010 at 9:05 am

Heck Yes Im gonna try this!!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heathee April 8, 2010 at 9:08 am

What a great idea! I love yogurt but the dairy tends to upset my stomach. I’ll have to search for agar next time i’m at WF.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 8, 2010 at 9:16 am

This, I can do! I always forget to take my probiotic too! I am definitely going to do this! Thank you!

janetha April 8, 2010 at 9:17 am

yes. i am gonna try it. that milk is my fave times ten!

Erin Wimmer April 8, 2010 at 9:26 am

What a cool idea. I’m trying this. Would it work without adding the probiotic capsule?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 9:34 am

Erin, Yes, I only used the probiotic capsule to transform the pudding into “yogurt”. However, not necessary.

Tracey April 8, 2010 at 9:26 am

I’d call it “Yomond” – gives it a real hip sound! Great idea!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 10:12 am

Tracey, Yomond – I like it. :)

Danielle April 8, 2010 at 9:36 am

This looks so good! I’m going to try it with the agar base and I’ll even let it ferment to see if it gets a nice tang :D

Agmondurt <– haha, it doesn't really flow

Lauren April 8, 2010 at 9:45 am

Hey heather! I made oatgurt again a bit over a week ago and it’s still sitting in y fridge waiting to be eaten. Do you think it’s okay to eat? When will it go bad?
Thx!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 10:13 am

Lauren, I wouldn’t let the oatgurt sit in the fridge for more than a week. Have you tried it yet? Hope it turned out okay!

Diane December 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Hi, I just starting to research non-dairy yogurts. THe almond milk sounds interesting. How do you make the oatyogurt? Thanks.

Diane

HEAB December 16, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Diane, if you like the taste of almond milk, then you’d love the yogurt. Here is the recipe for oatgurt – http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/oatgurt/. A bit time consuming but well worth the wait!

Jessica @ How Sweet April 8, 2010 at 9:46 am

That looks awesome! I love almond milk so I’m so I’d love it.

Evan Thomas April 8, 2010 at 9:47 am

Sweet yogurt skills! Have you ever tried nut cheese? I tried fermenting that, but I must of done something wrong(maybe let it ferment too long) and it grew some non-edible cultures

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 10:15 am
Brandi April 8, 2010 at 9:49 am

yum. I’ve been thinking about trying to make almond milk yogurt after making my own (dairy) yogurt in the crock pot. I may have to actually try it this weekend if I remember!

Jordan April 8, 2010 at 9:50 am

love this idea. I’m not too crazy about coconut milk yogurt so I’m interested to see how the fermented stuff turns out
ezekiel english muffins are so good :)

Christie {Honoring Health} April 8, 2010 at 9:50 am

Great idea, I have been trying to make yogurt with coconut milk for a few weeks now and it never thickens. I need to try adding in some agar!

Gena April 8, 2010 at 9:56 am

Right up my ally! Can’t wait to try this. Thanks, HEABs.

Meg April 8, 2010 at 10:00 am

Wow, this is a wonderful idea. And it sounds really simple. I’ll have to try it soon! The only yogurt substitutes that I can find regularly are soy-based, and I’m really not a fan of them… an almond-milk based yogurt sounds MUCH better. Thanks for sharing.

Katherine: What About Summer? April 8, 2010 at 10:02 am

Agar agar; say that 10 times fast!
Xantham gum; see if I can ever even say that once! (I think the benefit of blogging is that there is spell check so people don’t know how clueless I really am when it comes to the English language)
Best
Katherine
whataboutsummer

Laura April 8, 2010 at 10:17 am

Are you sure you don’t have psychic mind reading powers Heather?! I’ve been loving that for the last year and a half- me, being strange, likes it without the tang (I also add calcium powder to it since almond milk isn’t fortified in the U.K. ;) ), oh- and mine doesn’t seem to ferment ‘appropriately’, but we both know my problems with microorganisms ;) maybe because agar agar is such a great culture medium- i.e used in labs- they overgrow?! I first tried it with carrageen that is most commonly used commercially, but I couldn’t get the right type-gamma?! Besides, agar is great for supplying trace iodine that might be lacking in a vegan diet too. I hope you are having lovely weather in Nashville…

Laura April 8, 2010 at 10:22 am

Ooooh and how about calling it something fancy and continental to rival the ‘European style yogurt’ you can buy in the U.S.- yaourt d’ amande. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Laura, Great minds think alike, no? I love Yaourt d’ amande, but I’d probably always forget how to spell it. :)

Johanna B April 8, 2010 at 10:22 am

I have a friend who is trying life without dairy and hence without her beloved yogurt. I’ll turn her on to your post about “Yomond” and see if your idea will please her.

Susan April 8, 2010 at 10:34 am

Okay, so I have agar agar in my cupboard just waiting for a genius blog post such as this one to come along and inspire me to use it. Except, it’s not flakes. It’s like these long rectangular things that feel like foam. I’m assuming I can just chop off a chunk and boil it? Guess I’ll never know till I try!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Susan, I’ve never seen chunks of Agar Agar – just stick it in your food processor and make Agar Agar powder – the powder dissolves more quickly than the flakes. Enjoy!

Holly April 8, 2010 at 10:35 am

ALGARGURT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plamarie April 8, 2010 at 10:38 am

I think it should be called Almgurt ;)

Laura April 8, 2010 at 10:43 am

P.P.S. (!!!) thought of you when I read this just now http://www.drweilblog.com/home/2010/4/7/the-healthiest-places-to-live.html
And now I will leave your blog alone, sorry!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Laura, Ahh yes, my beloved Colorado – such a healthy place to live. Miss it so!!!

Carbzilla April 8, 2010 at 11:17 am

Oh well look at you go! I was gonna send you here: http://www.ricerafoods.com/ which I just found today. What about making yogurt out of coconut kefir – would that work?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Carb, Yep, I’m sure it would, but not sure if you would kill off all the good bacteria already present in the kefir by boiling it with the Agar Agar. Yeah, not sure about that as during yogurt production, the good bacteria is usually stirred in after boiling but before fermenting…I think.

Ana April 8, 2010 at 11:18 am

What a cool idea, love the addition of the probiotic contents of a capsule! I will find capsules for me now so I can try this recipe, so cool!! (my probiotic is a tablet…)
I like almodgurt for the name!!
Love your blog Heather!

runnerforever April 8, 2010 at 11:40 am

Your breakfast looks almost too good!

eatmovelove April 8, 2010 at 12:14 pm

How do you know about all these ingredients and stuff HEAB?!!…agar agar? Where do you get your ideas?
Muffin looks good. I’ve been eating those lately myself. I’m going to look for Walnut butter – have you tried Cashew?? so good. …too good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Eatmovelove, I hear about different ingredients from all my own research and by reading other blogs. I think it was Chocolate Covered Katie who first introduced me to Agar Agar. I’d heard of it, but had no idea what to do with it. And yes, I’ve tried cashew butter. Delicious, but not as as good as macadamia nut butter. :)

Kendall April 8, 2010 at 12:37 pm

What a cool idea- agar agar is so cool! I’ve used it with coconut milk to make a panna cotta type dessert, and also in place of the marshmallow stickiness in an almond butter rice crispie treat type of concoction. I’m going to have to try to make this almond milk yogurt!

Michelle August 30, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Oh my Kendall, please tell me you have a recipe somewhere for both your panna cotta and your almond butter rice crispie treat concotion. I LOOOVE Concotions! I am about to start expirmenting making my own nut butters this fall for xmas gifts. I would love to have some treats thrown in there with the butters.

TO HEAB! YoMond sounds awesome and I would likely by it in the store. I think that sounds super fabulous and since i am always stocked with almond milk I will definatly give this a try, just got to get ahold of some agar agar now!!

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Hey Michelle,
I sent an email to Kendall requesting her recipes, and I hope you enjoy some YoMond soon. It was quite tasty and fairly easy to make! Oh, and look for the agar agar in the seaweed section of your local health food store or at your nearest Asian Market.

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Michelle,
Per your request:

Anyway yes, I can certainly share those recipes. I believe you are aware of Heidi Swanson’s blog 101cookbooks.com? I don’t actually follow a ton of blogs like I think many of your readers do. Not that I have anything against doing so, but I can’t keep track! I actually only just signed up to use google reader, before I just had your page bookmarked and remembered to check it most every day! Anyway, I check out others from time to time but I actually only follow yours and 101cookbooks consistently.

So Heidi has a cookbook called Supernatural Cooking (she is also a photographer and is so good) and another cookbook on the way. In her book that I have are these two recipes, but she remade the rice crispies on the blog and here is that post.

I think the only difference was that she threw pistachios on top. I once used almond butter which obviously works as well. The last time I tried this it didn’t gel up and stick together for some reason, and so I melted some chocolate and spread it atop a pan of them, and they stuck to the chocolate. Oh, and definitely keep them in the fridge or they really don’t stick together. I guess putting them in muffin cups is a good idea however still I don’t know how she gets them to stick and not fall apart. Maybe your attempt will work better than mine did. The first time I made them it stuck together more, but not as much as I think they are supposed to. Either way tasted great!

And here is the coconut panna cotta recipe from the book. I did try this once and it was great. I used light coconut milk which I no longer buy since I now understand the benefits of coconut, and MCFAs and fat and all of that stuff! I think it would taste better with full fat coconut milk too. I don’t remember if I used dairy milk or almond milk but I probably used dairy since I didn’t want to risk it tasting funky, but I bet any milk substitute would work. As far as the agar agar completely dissolving, that was not my experience. But I strained it out and even though there were big chunks of agar left the liquid still gelled up quite nicely. I definitely recommend the berry sauce with it!

Coconut Panna Cotta
with Summer Berry Coulis

Supernatural Cooking by Heidi Swanson

1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup light colored natural cane sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons agar flakes or 3/4 teaspoon of agar powder

To make the Panna Cotta, lightly oil 6 ramekins and set aside. Place the coconut milk, milk, sugar, and agar flakes in a pan. Stir, then rest for 10 minutes to allow the agar to soften and start to dissolve; this is particularly important of you’re using flakes. Very slowly, bring the ingredients to a gentle simmer for a few minutes, until the agar is incorporated. If it doesn’t completely dissolve, pour the mixture through a strainer, pushing the undissolved agar through as well. Pour into the prepared ramekins and chill until set, about 1 hour.

Summer Berry Couls
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh blackberries
1/4 cup natural cane sugar (less if the berries are super ripe)
Juice of 1/2 lemon

To make the coulis, combine the berries, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat. Mash the berries a bit, then chill.

Serve the panna cotta either in the ramekins or turned out carefully onto small plates; top with the berry coulis.

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Hey Kendall,
This comment was from a while ago, but another reader has requested your recipes for the coconut milk panna cotta and almond butter rice crispie treats. Would you mind sharing…I wouldn’t mind the rice crispie one myself. ;) Thank you!

Katie April 8, 2010 at 12:45 pm

We may have been making this at the same time! I made almond milk yogurt 2 days ago.
I combined a cup of milk with 1 T lemon juice, let it sit for 5 min. Added 1 T cornstarch and boiled it until it was thick. I added some stevia and a bit of vanilla, stuck it in the fridge and gobbled up for dessert.

I bet you could just add a little lemon juice to the agar pudding when you puree it to give it the tang of yogurt. I may have to try it tonight!

polly April 8, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Hello my love!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, I am totally trying this. I must find this agar stuff.

I miss you. What fun to see my peachy in real LIFE! If only the blog world realized how sweet, kind, and CUTE you indeed are in real life. You of course are all of those things via the web… but HEAB in real life is just honey on toast.

I mean, ALMGURT on EZEKIEL MUFFIN. :)

a busy day catching up here… tomorrow Abbi gets her room painted……. PINK!

I think I’m going to a yin class too in the AM. Sometime in the future Pol and Heather must attend a yin class. It’s yummyness.

Love you, hon. Hi to CD from D! They are now officially buds!

XOXO

p.s. It’s like 40 degrees and raining here. sniff…. we miss Nashville. :( XOXO

polly April 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm

p.s. LOST was just wacky wonderful! Dez is like my favorite character next to Charlie and Hurley and of course Sawyer, but that is based on stud-muffin-ness alone.

Erica April 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm

What a cool idea. I’m obsessed with almond milk lately. I’m always looking for new uses for it.

rachael April 8, 2010 at 1:32 pm

That looks delicious and easy and I have all the ingredients! I can’t wait to try making it!

Andi McCoy April 8, 2010 at 1:32 pm

“Yo-Monde”
Creamy Dairy Free Yogurt with Pro-Biotics

**Taken from the French “Almonde”

veggielady4life April 8, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Honestly… I’m captivated by that raw walnut butter on top of your breakfast. It looks amazing. Do you buy it or make it??

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Veggielady4life, The Futter’s walnut butter was a gift from a friend. If you click on “raw walnut butter” in today’s post, you can read all about the company that makes it.

Mandiee April 8, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I love Katie’s agar-agar pudding recipe and actually make it all the time with my unsweetened chocolate Almond Breeze. I’ve totally been craving some vegan yogurt lately and actually pondered making a version like this. I’m so happy you came up with a method that really works. I can guarantee I will be making this soon :) .

Have a lovely day!
xox

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness April 8, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I had no idea about Agar.. I can’t wait to try, this looks like something I’ll love!

Anna April 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Very cool!! You are one wise woman!

Mae April 8, 2010 at 2:25 pm

So brillyant!! (in french accent!) I’ve been wanted to give agar a whirl… (no pun intended) because xanthen gum seems to be bothering my stomach. Have you ever noticed that?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Mae, I’ve never noticed any stomach problems caused by xanthan gum, but I know others have experienced it. So sorry. :(

Diana April 8, 2010 at 2:26 pm

That looks and sounds amazing :)

theemptynutjar April 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm

i eat real yogurt…but love the idea of yogurt on bread with nut butter and fruits…i see that on blogs a lot lately. must do.
but i will stick to my purchased dairy yogurt :)

Jenny April 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm

ahhhhhhh must try asap! thanks so much heather… i was wondering though, does it matter what brand/kind/bacteria count of probiotic pill i use?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Jenny, Nope, you can use any probiotic in the recipe. :)

nutmeg86 April 8, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Wow, what a great idea! I tried to make my own almond milk yogurt (without the probiotics) and it didn’t work out so well. I can’t wait to try this!

gina (fitnessista) April 8, 2010 at 3:47 pm

GENIUS!
i’ve had agar agar in the pantry for a couple of months and no idea what to use it for.. now i do :)
hope you’re doing well, friend!
xoxo

maya April 8, 2010 at 3:49 pm

That is so genus! :) they should really sell that(your so much smarter than the company’s out there ;P !! must get agar agar!

xx
maya

K8lin April 8, 2010 at 4:08 pm

What a great vegan idea! Such a healthier alternative that the sugar laden soy yogurt options out there!

cinnazimtanie April 8, 2010 at 4:19 pm

HEAB, FTW! Seriously…

I’m off anything remotely estrogenic right now but I can’t wait to try this with homemade pecan milk!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 8, 2010 at 4:20 pm

What a great idea! Thanks!

xo
K

Gabriela (froyolover) April 8, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Almondgurt it is!
HOLY YUM! :D
Thanks for sharing, Heather!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

Mama Pea April 8, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Nutgurt? Breeze-gurt? That sounds like a breeze to make! I don’t really care for yogurt’s tang (call me crazy), so I think I would LOVE this!

eatmovelove April 8, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Oh Lord – I seen Macadamia Nut butter the other day – Artisana! – it’s expensive…but maybe worth a splurge in the future (if only I didn’t go through it in a matter of days!)…I also seen Pecan I think ..?

What’s your take on probiotics?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 9, 2010 at 7:24 am

Eatmovelove, You can read about my take on probiotics here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/05/30/dont-fear-the-good-bacteria/ I’m a big fan.

Nicole April 8, 2010 at 5:26 pm

This looks so easy to make! Easy enough for me to attempt it!
And how sweet is Polly? Her comment to you touched me and it wasn’t even about me!

Lindsay April 8, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Ahh…genius! I think you should call it A-GURT! Wish I could enjoy Ezekiel bread again…can’t have gluten. Well I can, but it ain’t pretty-ha!

jenny April 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I love “almgurt”!

nellieshaul April 8, 2010 at 7:31 pm

This sounds interesting…do you still use miso as a probiotic source?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 9, 2010 at 7:30 am

Nellieshaul, I have miso in my fridge, but it’s been a while since I’ve used it. I go through my miso phases, and now that it’s getting warmer, I’m sure I’ll be enjoying some raw miso salads soon. :)

Kristina April 8, 2010 at 7:37 pm

woowww I love it! You are such a chef! I never would have thought of that. Good stuff! All your stuff looks so good….I am totally into the plain and simple and easy but you always manage to spice it up. Go Heather!

Sarah April 8, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I make my own goat yogurt from scratch. It’s magnificent.

metric89 April 8, 2010 at 10:02 pm

AWESOME idea!
I love my greek yogurt though….any way to make it that consistency?

I love that you create so many things on your own! I’m lazy, I just like to eat out of the package. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 9, 2010 at 7:28 am

Metric, The almond milk yogurt was pretty thick, but not quite the consistency of Greek yogurt. If I could eat the Greek stuff I would. Much easier to just go buy that than make your own. I say enjoy what you love.

MarathonVal April 8, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Haha, almondgurt reminds me of the yurt you stayed in last summer…wasn’t that what it was called? Anyway congrats on the new culinary creation! :)

chasingthenow April 8, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Way cool idea. I vote for “Algurt.”

looksgoodinpolkadots April 8, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I like coconut milk yogurt, made with So Delicious brand (refrigerated) coconut milk + one (8oz) carton of So Delicious brand plain yogurt… after the first batch, simply reserve a cup of the new yogurt to culture your next batch.

Heat coconut milk to 125F (use a candy thermometer).
Remove from heat, Cover and allow to cool to 105-110. This is vital as to not kill the bacterias.
Take about a cup of the cooled coconut milk out and mix it with the commercial coconut milk yogurt to make a “paste”.
Combine the “paste” with the remainder of coconut milk.
Place in your crock pot on low to maintain 110F (check your temperature to make sure it doesn’t get too hot or the bacterias will die).
Allow to ferment for up to 24 hours.
Store in the fridge.
If it needs to be thickened, simply add 1 tsp (dissolved) agar per cup of coconut milk and refrigerate.

I imagine this would also work with almond milk. Real yogurt has a much higher quality probiotics than capsule form.

We are also enjoying lots and lots of coconut milk kefir (goats milk also makes amazing kefir)… purchase (or beg, borrow, steal) milk kefir grains (culturesforhealth.com). Place grains in a quart of coconut milk and allow to ferment for 12-48 hours (depending on temp of your house).

The end result is tangy and delicious… we love it in smoothies… strained and used as sour cream or cream cheese substitutes or with added herbs for a cracker spread.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 9, 2010 at 7:27 am

Thanks looksgood, I’ve made my own coconut kefir, but never my own coconut milk yogurt. Doesn’t sound too difficult either. :)

kelli April 9, 2010 at 2:07 am

love this!I so am making this with soymilk…It’s great beacuse I don;t enjoy the tanginess of yogurt!

Jessie @ thehappinessinhealth April 9, 2010 at 6:12 am

How about “YoMond!”? And in “Yo, Mond!” *said with a Caribbean accent* :D That sounds like some sort of new probiotic product, right? I’d love to give it a try – the yogurt looks delicious!

Allie (Protein Girl) April 9, 2010 at 6:56 am

Algurt!

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 9, 2010 at 8:25 am

i don’t know if i’ll try it soon, but i love the idea!!! you should call it Algurt. Sounds kind of like “Albert” ahahaha :)

malpaz April 9, 2010 at 9:30 am

trying thissssssssssssssssssss will give u credit w/o a doubt!!!!!!!!

Ashley April 9, 2010 at 10:07 am

Holy cow..this sounds simple + delicious…and I have almond milk AND agar flakes! Score! It would definitely be good with So Delicious milk too…which I also happen to have…hmmm time to get in the kitchen apparently! :) Sounds + looks amazing on the english muff!

CaSaundra April 10, 2010 at 7:37 am

I never thought of using Almond Breeze to make yogurt–I use it alot in baking though

Pure2raw twins April 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Sorry I am a little late….but your yogurt looks amazing. Yes we love eating our probiotics versus taking a supplement ; )

Katryna May 10, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Hi Heather. Great looking recipe! Is there something in the agar that is required or would this also work with chia gel?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Katryna, It would probably work with chia gel, but I think it would be kind of gooey. Agar agar doesn’t get all gel-like, and for this particular recipe, I think it just works the best.

J@WholeBodyLove July 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Do you think the probiotics affect the consistency at all? I may try making it without

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 8, 2010 at 6:11 pm

J, the probiotic is not necessary – you just won’t have the bacteria cultures, but the taste and texture will be the same. No need to ferment either. Enjoy! :)

Janel August 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Hi Heather! Was searching to see if almond milk yogurt was out there and found you made it! (of course!) Love the simplicity of this recipe. I’m trying to nix the soy yogurt so I’ll definitely try this. Thanks girl – hope you’re doing well!

HEAB August 30, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Hey Janel. Good to hear from you. Yes, the almond milk yogurt is really good and fairly simple to make. Hope you enjoy it! :)

CecilyJ December 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Thanks for the idea!! I’ve been searching for almond milk yogurt in the store for a year…and nothing. My son has allergies to dairy and I’m in to finding ideas for treats!! thanks again :)

MAMA January 31, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Thanks for this! I have been looking for Almond milk yogurts! I hope they start selling them in stores soon. I mean they have almond cheese, almond milk, why not almond yogurt! till then I will try this recipe!

HEAB January 31, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Mama,
You are so welcome! They now make almond milk ice-cream as well, and so I have a feeling we’ll have a commercial brand of almond milk yogurt soon. I sure hope so! :)

Mama January 31, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Hi!

What is the brand of almond ice cream you found? That is amazing. That made me and my daughter so happy!

gREAT WEBSITE

sheila @ Elements February 19, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Looks really good! I’ll look for Agar Agar in a couple of days. I’d really like to try to make this. :)

Reesipnutbutrcup March 9, 2011 at 10:21 pm

How about Almomigurt :-) LOL
I too am looking for AM ice cream and AM yogurt in stores. Thanks for the terrific ideas!

Ana April 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Heather, have you ever let the almondgurt ferment?
I just tried making this today and it was so fun, I did however ate it just like you, right after blending with the probiotic. I might try to let it ferment with honey like you mentioned.
So funny because I was playing with agar in order to make that coconut panna cotta from Heidi’s book this weekend, what a coincidence! I have tried using agar before with no success, your oatgurt was the first time it actually worked and thickened up, I think I wasn’t using the right proportions or not boiling long enough.

HEAB April 6, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Ana,
So glad the agar agar worked for you. My first few attempts failed as well, and once I got it right, it was so easy. Not sure why I don’t cook with it more often. I haven’t ever tried fermenting the almond milk yogurt…I’ve wanted to but then just end up eating as. It’s so good, and once I start, I can’t stop. :)

eileen April 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Hey Heather,
I really want to make this today but don’t have any agar. Do you think I could substitute guar gum or xanthan gum?

HEAB April 26, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Eileen,
No, I don’t think so, but I’ve only used the gums in smoothies/ice-cream, and homemade salad dressings. I tried googling some recipes for you, but didn’t have much luck. I think the texture would be off for yogurt using the gums.

Eileen April 30, 2011 at 11:35 am

OK, you are so right with the gums! I gave guar gum a try and epic fail. I ended up with a tapioca-ish texture with a weird flavor. I finally picked up some agar and it was so much better. Thanks as always for the recipe inspiration and please keep your sugar free “fluff” recipes. I know that you are worried about Summer seeing you eat “ice cream” creations for breakfast, but you also eat plenty of veggies and good stuff too.

I struggle with the same things as my daughter grows up. As a baby, I made all her baby food and she ate everything from veggies, fruit, hummus, meat, etc. The hardest times were when she was around 4yrs and starting seeing kids drinking juice boxes, etc. That is when her eating started to change because other kids would turn their noses up at asparagus or hummus so then she didn’t want to eat them. I’m learning you just have to continue offering the good stuff (and there’s nothing wrong with banana ice cream for breakfast some days!) and roll with the phases they go through. From age 5-6 she would only eat specific veggies and had a wicked sweet tooth that I satisfied with healthy fun food that made her feel like she was eating treats (she also had her share of sugar from treats from school and friend’s houses.)

Now that she is 8yrs old she seems to have turned a corner and all our times cooking in the kitchen together and grocery shopping and talking about food that makes our body feel good is paying off. She is back to eating what we eat and also requesting healthy food because she wants her body to grow and feel good.
So my unsolicited advice is to keep being the example and expect her to experiment as she grows. As she gets older keep her involved in the meal planning, shopping and cooking and you will be amazed at the healthy choices she will make.

Your doing a great job with Summer!! It is the hardest, but best job ever!

HEAB April 30, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Eileen,
Thanks so much for this comment. It’s very encouraging and something I needed to read today. Your approach sounds very well balanced, and I hope to do the same with Summer.

Glad the agar agar worked for ya!

Crystal September 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Just discovered your website. May I say that I am already encouraged? My husband has been struggling with ulcerative colitis for 8 years now and we’re trying to change the way we eat in order to hopefully become more healthy and therefore be able to have the doctor wean him off of his powerful meds. Just saw a naturopath this week to give us some great advice.

Thank you for posting recipes (almond butter, almond milk yogurt, etc.). I look forward to researching more.

HEAB September 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Crystal, so glad you found my blog and thanks for reading. I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s ulcerative colitis as I know it’s so hard, but I truly believe that diet can have a huge impact. Hope my recipes help!

Venus September 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I made twice the amount of this yogurt and at the end I added a tbsp and a half of braggs apple cider vinegar and a tbsp or so of some plain homemade kombucha and added 2-3 tbsp of raw coconut nectar, let it ferment for two nights, refrigerated it and ate some with my cereal this morning. very yummy :) oh and I didn’t added a probiotic capsule

Ken September 27, 2011 at 9:36 am

I wonder if one could use a similar combo to substitute for non-dairy butter? We have a combo of alergies in the house with dairy and soy – and usually a non-dairy substitute has soy in it.

HEAB September 27, 2011 at 9:40 am

Ken,
Have you tried clarified butter (ghee)? Many people with dairy issues can handle ghee b/c it contains very little to zero casein. Also, Earth Balance does make a soy-free version of their vegan butter.

Melissa May 3, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Can you add a “Pin it” button to this. I love this and share it often!

HEAB May 3, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Melissa,
Done! Let me know if it doesn’t work and thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

Joanne June 19, 2013 at 9:27 pm

have you ever tried making your own Almond Milk, adding a probiotic, letting it ferment and adding Chia Seeds at the end of the ferment process if a thicker yogurt is what you prefer? This way you know exactly what goes into the Almond Milk and the milk is then not heated (and destroying those beautiful, precious fats).

HEAB June 20, 2013 at 7:17 am

Hi Joanne,
No, I haven’t, but that’s a really good idea. Thank you!

Noa August 10, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Would the texture of the yogurt be affected if I didn’t add the capsule? I saw a question similar to this earlier, but it didn’t say anything about the texture.

HEAB August 10, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hi Noa, no leaving out the probiotic capsule will not change the texture. It simply adds some good bacteria to the “yogurt”. :)

Rachel October 5, 2013 at 5:19 am

Does this taste good?? I’m dairy intolerant, and didnt used to be and i am missing yoghurt sooo much! Agar Agar is sooo good for you aswell isnt it! How long does this last for?

HEAB October 5, 2013 at 10:37 am

Rachel,
If you like the taste of almond milk or whatever kind of nut milk you use, that’s what the yogurt will taste like. It doesn’t really have that “yogurty tang” – the agar agar just gives it more of yogurt consistency, although a little lemon juice might give it more of that taste you’re craving. Not sure how long it will last – probably a couple of days in the fridge. I usually made in small batches and ate most of it in a day or two from what I recall. Hope you find a non-dairy yogurt you enjoy – I missed it a lot when I wasn’t eating dairy, but my body is tolerating it better now.

{ 4 trackbacks }