Summer Foods & A Good Read

by HEAB on April 14, 2010

First off, I loved reading your pledges from yesterday. Keep ‘em coming!

It’s so sunny and warm outside, and warm foods simply won’t do. I want it cold and crunchy! My favorite breakfast as of late…

A chopped apple with ground flax seed and plain goat milk yogurt. This bowl makes me so happy in the mornings. :) Another thing that makes me happy? Getting my hair done…

Kristin, my good friend (we actually went to high-school together!) and one of the most creative people I know, has been doing my hair for years. We trade massage for hair (one huge perk of being a massage therapist). Anyway, Kristin is not only an amazing hair stylist but also a wonderful writer. In fact, she is posting chapters from her novel, Recovering Ramona, every week on her own blog. I’m all caught up in the life of the main character, Claudia Nichols, and I encourage all you fiction lovers out there to check it out. In the first chapter, we are introduced to Claudia. She’s found the right guy and is ready to settle down and start a family. However, before she can carry on with life’s plans, she must first deal with her past. Comic circumstances reunite Claudia with her mother, and she must decide if she can let go of the hurt and finally begin to heal. Sounds intriguing, no?

Kristin has a possible publishing deal, and I really believe strongly in Recovering Ramona. I would love for you guys to check it out if you have some free time. All the released chapters are archived here. Her publisher is looking for feedback and interest in the book. So please leave your thoughts and opinions in the comment section: What do you like about the story? What do you not like? If you’re interested, please keep reading every week, and you’ll have the opportunity to receive an editor’s acknowledgment and a free copy of the book. Really, I’m so proud of my friend and her creative writing skills and love that she is sharing her first novel with us. Kristin, I know you will get published…in fact, I have no doubts. :)

So, I have a lot of hair, and to highlight, cut, dry, and straighten it usually takes about two and half hours! By the time Kristin was done with me yesterday, my stomach was growling. Across the street, I spied a famous Nashville institution, Las Paletas. If you are ever in the area, you MUST stop by here for a gourmet Mexican-style popsicle. Normally, I order the avocado flavor (amazing), but yesterday, I was in the mood for chocolate. Check out the chocolate chips waiting for me in my first few bites…

Trust me, these are like no other popsicles you’ve ever had. The perfect summer treat!

What are your favorite summer foods?

Hope you enjoy Recovering Ramona!!!

P.S. Kristin, I love my hair! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 14, 2010 at 11:27 am

Your hair looks GREAT! It feels so good right after you get it done! I will check out the story! I can’t wait to give it a read! Good luck to Kristin!!!

Heather April 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

your hair is GORGEOUS!!! i love it/am jealous :) that Popsicle looks perfect for a hot day!

theprocessofhealing April 14, 2010 at 11:38 am

Your hair and that popsicle both look GREAT!!! In different ways of course… hehe
I like iced coffees and frozen yogurt in the summer :) Make that anytime…

fartygirl April 14, 2010 at 11:39 am

You lookin’ good girl! Your hair looks smashing. Yellow is quite your color. You look like you got some sun at all those ball games too! Hot stuff.

Farty’s favorite summer foods include fresh tomatoes and herb salads, as well as lots of berry smoothies. I don’t know why, but I can’t do berry smoothies in the winter. My body is pure northeastern and UK mutt. It loves warmth and carbs!

Glad to see you enjoying some of that chocolate love! <3

eatmovelove April 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

Love your hair! And chocolate chips with popsicles?! – I’m down with that. Will definitely support any Writer – hey, I’m wishing myself…

Mandy A April 14, 2010 at 11:58 am

Las Paletas!! You must be reading my mind… I was cravvving one today!!! Seriously! :)

Your hair is gorgeous, love! Along with that shirt… it’s beautiful on you!

Beth April 14, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Wow those popsicles look so good! And avocado flavor.. I can’t even imagine it but I love avocados!

Claire April 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm

You look fabulous!! :-) cc

hair in my coffee April 14, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Heather-
You are so kind and generous and inspiring, it blows my mind. AND now you have me wanting to run across the street for a popsicle!
Love you, girl.

robyn jones clark April 14, 2010 at 12:40 pm

i want a popsicle now! i made some coconut milk ice cream though and i guess it will do! :)

annecalista April 14, 2010 at 12:54 pm

What a great friendship you two have!
My favorite summer foods are fresh veggies and fruits! Local if possible, which is a treat bc we don’t have fresh food growing in NH all year round.

jentrinque April 14, 2010 at 1:09 pm

That is so great about your friend and the book! I will definitely check it out – any thing to help someone get a publishing deal. Your hair does look great, and it’s so wonderful you can trade like that.

I dated a guy who was from Texas, and whenever we were there we’d get these amazing Mexican popsicles from a store in San Antonio…my favorite flavor was Orchata, the rice flavor. I wonder if they’re similar to what you have in Nahsville?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Jentrinque, Yes, I bet they are. Sometimes Las Paletas has a rice flavored popsicle. I’ll try it next time it’s on the menu.

Katherine: What About Summer? April 14, 2010 at 1:28 pm

yum! love the post
Katherine

Katie April 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Hmmm, avocado popsicles? That sounds really good. Do you know what is in them? I bet they’d be fun to try to recreate!

Cute hair!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Katie, Not sure, but they are creamy and slightly sweet. So delicious! Here are some recipes I found online…definitely NOT dairy free: http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/3035/Recipe.cfm…butat least no tofu. :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) April 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm

love your hair! I am dying to try goat milk ypgurt I hear its so good and that goat milk is easier to digest than cows milk!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Naomi, I love the goat milk yogurt. I’m allergic to cow’s milk, and goat milk doesn’t seem to bother me.

Erin Wimmer April 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Mmm, that popsicle looks so good. Maybe I need to road-trip down from Cincinnati & get one.

My fave summer foods are heirloom tomatoes, fresh pesto (made with basil from our garden), sweet iced tea (with mint from our garden), peaches, and good ice cream. Isn’t summer just the greatest?

P.S. Your hair looks fantastic. :)

Kelsey April 14, 2010 at 2:45 pm

i love your cute little yellow shirt! adorable and perfect for the season <3

Carrie @ I See Monsters April 14, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Las Paletas!!! YUUUMMMMM! My favorites are any of the ones spiked with chili pepper. :)

If it’s not too much trouble, can you tell me where Kristin works (and if she’s taking new clients)? I need a new hairdresser desperately, and your hair looks amazing.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Carrie, Kristin works at the Green Pea Salon: http://greenpeasalon.com/. It’s literally right across the street from Las Paletas, and as far as I know, she is taking on new clients. That being said, the girl stays super busy. So call early!

Erica April 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Your hair looks great! Thats awesome that ya’ll trade services. And that Popsicle? totally hitting that place up next time I’m in Nashville.

I’m with you on the cooler foods. I’m enjoying a bundle of veggies and jalapeno cilantro hummus right now

Theorist April 14, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Great post and your hair looks fantastic!!!

Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 14, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I love watermellon and cantaloupe in the Summer. I love all the summer produce.

Sagan April 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm

That’s such a good breakfast when the weather is warm!

I read over your restaurant rules and although I often feel the same way, I too have relaxed a bit about them. I eat bread from the bread basket if it’s really good quality bread, specially made at that restaurant etc… but I’m DEFINITELY not the kind of person to spontaneously go out for a meal. I tend to plan my eats in advance, and I tend to freak out if something starts messing up my plans.

homecookedem April 14, 2010 at 5:35 pm

You look absolutely RADIANT!! Omg, Heather, seriously you are GORRRRRRGEOUS!!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Oh my gosh Em, THANK YOU! :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 14, 2010 at 5:36 pm

avocado popsicle . . . you’re kind of scaring me!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Morgan, I know it sounds a bit funky – but they are amazing. So creamy and slightly sweet.

The Foodie Diaries April 14, 2010 at 5:43 pm

yesss for fruit cereal!

and you looks INCREDIBLE!!!

Mara @ What's for Dinner? April 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm

DEFINITELY going to be checking out Recovering Ramona… I’m desperate for something to read!

Your hair looks adorable, and i love seeing the paletas… I love those over the summer! “Una de coco por favor!”

Jessica April 14, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Your hair looks wonderful, Heather! You are such a pretty gal. :) Those popsicles look to die for!

candicemccoy April 14, 2010 at 6:08 pm

You are so pretty, Heather! I love your hair:)

That popsicle obviously looks so delicious…now I’m craving one!

Congrats to your friend on her book. What a great accomplishment.

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) April 14, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Great hair!

Ah, in the summer, my soul belongs to CHILLED HEIRLOOM TOMATOES. Raw with a dash of salt and you have an orgy in your mouth. It’s crazy!

And I love eggplant! The long, curly ones, not the fat Italian ones.

hypki April 14, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Ooo, I love paletas! My hubby and I live in Mexico, just moved here 6 weeks ago, and paletas are a favorite treat.
I love the avocado, but the Cafe (coffee) and Caucauhete (Peanut butter),are to die for as well!
Love the hair, you look great!

fitandfortysomething April 14, 2010 at 6:38 pm

your hair does look great :) tell me more about this goat milk yogurt!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 15, 2010 at 8:12 am

fitandfortysomething, I love goat milk yogurt. It doesn’t seem to bother me like cow’s milk yogurt. I’ve read the proteins are easier to digest. It’s got a good amount of fat in it and is so tasty. Try it! I buy the Redwood Hills Farm brand from Whole Foods.

A Running Kentucky Filly April 14, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Very pretty haircut. I love the new style!

caronae April 14, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Hair looks great! And a mexican style popsicle sounds so wonderful! There should be a chocolate-avocado flavor :)

Exa April 14, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Your hair looks fabulous! My favorite summer foods are caprese salads, smoothies of all kinds, coconut popsicles, big veggie sandwiches, grilled veggies with pasta and goat cheese, and guacamole (although I love that year round…)

Melissa S. April 14, 2010 at 7:34 pm

your hair looks great and that popsicle is making me drool!

i’m go and check out the story asap!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 14, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I love your hair too!

jenny April 14, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Check out your hair! You look great!

Cat April 14, 2010 at 7:54 pm

LOVE your hair!! I decided today that I’m growing mine out ala Heather. I love Kristin’s book too…saw her cards @ Monkey! I need to meet her! We need to meet soon for a paleta too. Such a hazard that there are so close to where I live/work.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 14, 2010 at 8:00 pm

What allergy do you have to cow’s milk? I’ve just learned that dairy gives me acne, but I’ve never tested goat dairy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 15, 2010 at 8:15 am

Samantha, I’m allergic to whey and casein, the proteins found in dairy. I find I do fine with a little dairy here and there, and the full fat dairy products like butter and heavy cream don’t seem to bother me. However, if I eat a lot of cow’s milk yogurt or cottage cheese, my body fights back with infections, usually UTI’s. I used to get at least once a month, but I stopped getting them once I gave up dairy.

The Fit Collegiate April 14, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Believe it or not, they sell those popsicles in our Munchie Mart at the Vanderbilt Commons! Haha. I love the chocolate banana flavor :-P

midgetkeeper April 14, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Your hair looks so good and I can’t wait to check out the novel.

doncadaily April 14, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Your hair looks amazing. I almost didn’t recognize you! (Not that you looked bad before or anything. I’m going to check out that novel now.

Lara (Thinspired) April 14, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Heabie, your hair look beautiful! It definitely makes me want to grow my hair out long again. Like you, I have tons, so it’s been easy maintenance once I cut it off….but gosh, your hair is gorgeous!

I’m going to check out Recovering Ramona right now. I am always looking for something good to read.

Lara (Thinspired) April 14, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Your hair LOOKS beautiful, I mean ;)

Megan April 14, 2010 at 9:22 pm

BBQ…without a doubt. There is nothing better than hanging out on the porch, bbqing away, and hanging out with family and good friends. Plus, ribs, pulled pork, and potato salad totally say summer.

chasingthenow April 14, 2010 at 9:43 pm

That popsicle looks so so so good!

Kellie April 14, 2010 at 10:06 pm

thanks so much for the link to your friends blog! went IMMEDIATELY THERE and read the first chapter! Love it

lola April 14, 2010 at 11:19 pm

That breakfast looks so yummy!!! In winter I used to microwave chopped apple with lost of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, and then add milk and raisins, and some pecans, and it was so good! Now that the weather is hot I won’t microwave them anymore hehe

Las plaetas, OMG!!! Mexican popsicles are like the best thing eveeeer!!! There’s an ice cream and pop-sicle shop right in front of my school. That’s sort of—problematic?

have a nice day Heather, and your hair looks amazing straight, but you look lovely with wavy hair as well :)

janetha April 15, 2010 at 12:57 am

STUNNING

Diana April 15, 2010 at 2:05 am

Your hair looks great! :) I’ve actually been meaning to get an haircut, it’s sooo long right now

Ana April 15, 2010 at 5:50 am

Your hair looks gorgeous!!!
My favorite summer treat is Watermelon!! Followed super closely by ice cream, I just love ice cream! I am with you in the avocado ice cream, it is wonderfully creamy, so delicious, I wish people in the US would be more adventurous and eat avocado in sweet things – avocado is a fruit after all!!!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 15, 2010 at 6:02 am

That popsicle looks great! And I love your hair, so pretty!

xo
K

healthy ashley April 15, 2010 at 8:15 am

Your hair looks awesome! And that popsicle!!! Yummm!!

betterbowls April 15, 2010 at 11:19 am

fab. hair! i wish mine were that long and gorgeous!

i’ll bet we could find a way to recreate those popsicles! whattaya think, heaby? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 15, 2010 at 11:25 am

betterbowls, I know I could. Las Paletas are definitely not dairy free, but I bet coconut milk would work!

Laura April 15, 2010 at 11:49 am

Who needs sunshine where I am when I can get it through your posts? Seriously, you helped me wind down from some really difficult shifts in the hospital last summer whilst reading about your hiking adventures in Colorado- thank you Heather! I can see all that healthy fat you eat in the condition of your hair- my hairdresser apparently can tell how I’m doing by the state of my hair and scalp-eek! I thought of you today, as whilst shopping I chanced upon mustard- miso mustard with kelp to be exact- if you haven’t already tried it, I would send it to you, but I just don’t think it would survive the cross-Atlantic plane ride (not sure what the customs would make of ‘kelp’ anyhow!). Yet another use for avocados, brilliant! Keep on smiling!;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 15, 2010 at 11:57 am

Laura, Miso mustard? Oh my gosh, sounds amazing. Bet I could make my own. Enjoy it for me. :)

m i c h e l l e April 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm

You always have gorgeous hair – it just looks extra-gorgeous now :-) Love the Mexican style popsicles – yours looks sooo good!

jqlee April 18, 2010 at 12:06 am

your hair looks gorgeous! i love getting my hair done too. i try not to wash it for at LEAST 3 days if it will last that long!

{ 1 trackback }