Moooo

by HEAB on April 16, 2010

Hey HEABers,

Been a crazy morning and just now sitting down to check email and blog. I started off the day with another bowl of goat milk yogurt goodness…

Goat milk yogurt, ground flax seed, and frozen cherries. Not quite cherry pie a la mode, but pretty darn tasty. I am so loving my goat milk yogurt these days. Several of you have asked me about it. I eat it because my body seems to tolerate goat milk products better than cow milk products. You can read all about why I gave up dairy here. Basically, it was to see if it would help with the chronic urinary tract and other infections I’ve battled all my life. I used to get them at least once a month, and since giving up products high in dairy proteins, whey & casein, I’ve only had one UTI in the last year, a miracle if you ask me. After doing some research, I decided to give goat milk products a try as I’ve read the proteins are easier for our bodies to digest, and they never seem to give me any problems. As far as the taste of goat milk yogurt goes, I think it tastes just like regular cow’s milk yogurt. In my opinion, store bought goat milk tastes goaty – blech, but the yogurt is delicious.

In continuing with today’s cow theme, I ate a delicious lunch at The Wild Cow, a local vegetarian restaurant, with my good friend Rayna.

Rayna just got engaged not too long ago, and so we talked wedding plans. So excited for you Rayna! :) While catching up, I munched on the following…

Vegan cole slaw, roasted tempeh, chips and hummus – 3 of my favorite things all one plate. Mmmm, although I’m by no means a vegetarian, I love vegetarian food!

That’s my day thus far. I’ve got some projects I’m working on this afternoon and need to get busy. Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!

P.S. How is your Pledge For Better Health going? I’m doing well with mine and have totally relaxed around many of my rules.

P.P.S. Don’t forget to befriend Turtle Mountain on Facebook for a chance to win some Turtle Mountain product coupons! Less than 100 fans to go before the contest ends!

Heather April 16, 2010 at 1:11 pm

mmmmm…cole slaw and chips and hummus sound AH-MAYZING!!! hummus sounds like heaven in my mouth right now… :)

Evan Thomas April 16, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I wonder how my body would react to strictly goats milk. I’ve always eaten it for a flavor change from cow, but never for dietary reasons. I just love the tang so much more

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama April 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm

You two look great! I love girlfriend days =)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) April 16, 2010 at 1:36 pm

thanks for the info on goatmilk! I need to try some goat milk yogurt, I hear it has SUCH better flavor toO!!!

congrats to your friend and her marriage plans :) so fun!!

delicious looking food, heather! happy friday

hair in my coffee April 16, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I se your hair is still straight! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Hair in my coffee, Yep, straight and quite dirty. Going to see if I can get one more day out of it. ;)

Johanna B April 16, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Heather, I love reading your blog these days. During the holidays I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and I am having to learn what things upset my system and what things are safe. For me, it doesn’t seem as simple as just staying away from foods with gluten but I am learning and reading about your journey gives me hope. Thanks.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Johanna, You’re welcome. I’m always just an email away if you have any questions!

Diana April 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Congrats to your friend for the engagement! :) That lunch looks delicious by the way. ;)
Have a great weekend yourself!

Jessica @ How Sweet April 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Oooh I’d love to try some goatmilk yogurt!

Anna April 16, 2010 at 1:58 pm

HEAB, you’re so purty! :-)

Looks like a great lunch!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Looks like a delicious lunch to me!!

Veggielady4life April 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I have never heard of goat’s milk yogurt! Where do you buy it?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 16, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Veggielady4life, Most health food stores carry it. I buy mine in the yogurt section at Whole Foods.

Beth April 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I never knew that goat’s milk was easier for us to digest than cow’s milk. Interesting!

Mama Pea April 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I have never cared for anything even related to a goat. I don’t think it’s mental, but somehow it all just tastes like how they smell to me.

You and Rayna could both be supermodels. Lucky lucky men in your lives.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 16, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I will have to tell my sister about the goat milk. She gets UTI’s all the time. She would try just about anything. I think it actually caused her to have her baby too early too. Thank you for sharing your adventures. I really do think that talking from a more human level (instead of a doctors level) helps more!

Sonia April 16, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Mmmm roasted tempeh! Makes me want to make some right now!

Kelsey April 16, 2010 at 3:24 pm

your smile is gorgeous :D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 16, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Oh I didnt even read the post (ok, I did) b/c you and Rayna are both so stunningly gorg! Love all those bright blue eyes staring at me :)

Janet (Pantry Bites) April 16, 2010 at 4:10 pm

What about full fat unprocessed dairy?

Goat Feta is my favorite cheese. It’s flavor is strong enough that you only need a little bit.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Janet, I eat grass fed butter and heavy cream without any problems. Full fat cream cheese doesn’t seem to bother me either. As long as I don’t eat a lot of dairy products high in dairy protein, I seem to do okay. That’s why I stay away from cottage cheese and regular yogurt.

eatmovelove April 16, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Haha – “goaty” – :) .

Love tortillas and hummus!! Yum! Great lunch. Wedding planning sounds like fun (well, I’m sure it’s quite stressful too on the ‘other’ side ;) …)

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) April 16, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I’m not a vegetarian, but I love vegetarian food, too! I’ve never been to an all veg restaurant, but I hope to someday soon. :D

Jenn

tropicaleats April 16, 2010 at 5:53 pm

i definitely lolled when you wrote it tasted “goaty”. I’ve never tried goatmilk before.. im a little nervous to ill admit!

theemptynutjar April 16, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Great eats. Hummus and chips..great stuff!
But your morning bowl has so much potential: bananas, oats, granola, chocolate chips, dried fruits, nut butters, maple syrup, etc etc…lots of combos and additions to go crazy with Heather.

And yes you both are gorgeous.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 17, 2010 at 7:29 am

Emptynut, Sometimes, I just like to keep it simple. :)

Julie @ Pickley Pear April 16, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Not sure about the goats milk! I like my skim cows milk, which seems to be a strange occurance in bloggie world. Have a great weekend!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 16, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Your lunch sounds amazing!!! I wish we had places like that around here!

jenny April 16, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I love veggie food too, but I can’t imagine not being able to eat meat products!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) April 16, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I LOVE goat’s milk yogurt! It’s so rich and creamy. I definitely taste something “goaty” in goat dairy though. It’s good–a sort of tang, but I’d never mistake it for a cow. Which is fine with me! What else do you like your goat yogurt with? I LOVE it with blueberries and raw cacao nibs! Perfect blend of tart, sweet, and nippy.

Goat meat is pretty good too, and super lean.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 17, 2010 at 7:31 am

Mimi, I don’t know if I’ve ever had goat meat, but I’d like to try it. I’ll eat goat milk yogurt with anything. Tomorrow, I think it’s going on some pancakes! :)

actorsdiet April 16, 2010 at 11:06 pm

i’m not a vegetarian but my hubby is and god, i do love vegetarian food. who am i kidding, i love all food.

Susan April 17, 2010 at 5:53 am

I used to live with a Rayna – spelled exactly the same way! Exciting because we always thought there were never any out there. I will have to tell her :)

I really want to try goat yogurt, but it’s too expensive at the moment. Also, I always call it “goatgurt” in my head.

runnerforever April 17, 2010 at 6:38 am

Now that is what I call restaurant food, looks tasty and healthy, hard to find sometimes!

Kyla April 17, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Oh god …The Wild Cow was one of the best places I ate at when I was in Nashville. Those chips and hummus are divine. The tempeh reuben was also fantastic. Good restaurant choice Heather!

Pure2raw twins April 18, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I have been eating some goat cheese lately and my body seems to be okay with it. Goat products has always been one think my body seems to like ; )

Sarah April 20, 2010 at 6:08 am

Ooh, I would LOVE if I had a restaurant like that near my home.