I Love Being Mommed

by HEAB on April 17, 2010

My mom is back in town! My parents are divorced, but they both live in Nashville and are still good friends. However, my mom travels extensively with her job and works for months at a time in different cities all over the Southeast. She was gone about 8 weeks with her last job and will hopefully be home for a while. I’m a very independent person and like to think of myself as a free spirit. I guess you could say I’ve always walked to the beat of my own drum. That being said, my mom and I are really close, and I’ll be honest…I still love letting her take care of me when she’s around.

Today I stopped by for lunch. She had steamed some veggies and had everything on hand to make my favorite raw cashew cheese sauce. She had also baked one of my childhood favorites, which I always referred to as those little Italian sausage cheese toast thingies my mom makes. However, recently, I learned they’re actually called Hanky Pankies. Have you ever tried them? So good! Anyway, I meant to pile my plate with steamed veggies, and have just a bite of the Hankies, but I ended up eating 4. They’re tiny, but as you know cheese is not my friend. A year ago, I wouldn’t have touched them…in fact, I don’t think I’ve eaten them in about 10+ years, but I just went with the flow today and enjoyed every bite. Again, I’m working on relaxing around some of my rules. It’s not like I’m going to start filling my body with junk, but I usually aim for perfection. However, lately I’ve decided that being perfect 100% of the time just isn’t that much fun. That being said, I really want to try and re-create this recipe using the cashew cheese as I think it would be just as good!

My mom even stocked her freezer with Sonic crushed ice. I LOVE finely crushed ice. Did you know you can buy it the by the bag from Sonic, and why do drinks always taste so much better with crushed ice?

After lunch, my brother was playing around with a friend’s camera and caught my mom and I laughing at one another. I think this photo perfectly captures our mother/daughter relationship. We tend to laugh a lot when we’re together. Love you mom. :)

DSC_0165.JPG

Do you have any plans for Earth Day? CD and I are going to try and catch some of the free music taking place at Nashville’s Annual Earth Day Festival later today. Sara Watkins (formerly of Nickel Creek) and Bela Fleck are both playing, two of my favorites! Happy Saturday my friends!

theprocessofhealing April 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm

That sounds like a nice lunch with your mom! I love my mom too and I’m lost without her. I really need to be more independent but yeah…

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Sounds like a great visit! I will have to try the Hany Panky for my boys…I think they would love it! There is nothing like a mother daughter relationship…

Have fun at the festival!

Evan Thomas April 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I don’t think you could ever be too old to enjoy some mom time :-)

foodcents April 17, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Aaaaahhh, love this pic. of you and your mama’!!!!

I am sooooooo jelous you are going to see BF. Seen many times, never can get enough!!! Hope you have a great time!!!

BE WELL!!!!

Carbzilla April 17, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Omygosh – look how cute you two are. It’s such a cliche but you do look like sisters.

Hmmm, I’ve never heard of Hanky Pankies.

homecookedem April 17, 2010 at 2:05 pm

OOOhhhhh, I want a hanky panky!! I’m glad you allowed yourself to have one. I mean it’s not like you eat them everyday, ya know? What fun would life be if you never ate another one of your mom’s hanky pankies. I fully believe that we should never restrict special things like that. Good for you HEAB! :) And the pic of you and your mom is so sweet! :) Enjoy the rest of your Saturday!!

fartygirl April 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Lovely pic of you and the moms. It’s great to hear you are relaxing on the rules! Have fun! :)

eatmovelove April 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm

HEAB you look like a little Willow in that pic. You have a real Bohemian vibe going on girl! Yes – relax your rules. There is NO such thing as perfection.

jentrinque April 17, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I love Bela Fleck! He was in Asheville recently with some of the African musicians he made “Throw Down Your Heart” with and it was incredible!

And I love my mom, too :)

robyn jones clark April 17, 2010 at 2:38 pm

great picture of you and your mom! :)

Maggie April 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm

You guys are so pretty and that picture is great :)

I love Sara Watkins (and Nickel Creek!) and Bela Fleck and I am jealous. Don’t know what we are doing for Earth Day… maybe turning off the computers. I really want to do that.

Mae April 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm

You guys look so happy together! And your arms are AweeeesomE! :D I feel like I’m a “free spirit” too…

It’s really nice that your family still has a good relationship and that you’re close to your parents! The cheesy bread looks good too, I can’t wait to see the results with cashew cheese!

Gina April 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I hope you don’t mind but I totally stole your line “being perfect 100% of the time just isn’t that much fun” and posted it as my status on my Facebook page. Amen to that, and not just about food choices!

It is wonderful to see someone else who gets along well with their mom – we are few and far between, from what I can tell.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Gina, If I was logged into Facebook right now, I would “like” your status. :)

Kelly April 17, 2010 at 4:22 pm

What a great picture! I love it!

Cherie April 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Love the pic of you and your Mom. Jeannie tried to get me to go the festival today. I was lame and stayed home… Boo. Hope it was fun!

VeggieGirl April 17, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Aww, yay!! Keep having fun with Mom, HEAB :)

A Running Kentucky Filly April 17, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Ahh! So jealous of your earth day plans. What an amazing sounding concert. Those are two of my favorite artists.

That’s such a great photo of you and your mom btw :)

Erica April 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I love time with my Mommy too. Its nice to be spoiled ;) Sounds like she made you a great lunch. Love the picture of you two- you are such a natural beauty. Josh loves crushed ice. Any restaurant that we go to that has it gets extra points with him :) Not sure what we’re up to for Earth day, I know there are a few festivals going on…but I think Josh actually has to go into work :(

runnerforever April 17, 2010 at 5:51 pm

There is nothing like mommy time, so special, enjoy!!

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well April 17, 2010 at 5:55 pm

What a nice get together with your mum! I love seeing mine, but she lives on the other side of the country so it rarely happens. When I do get to see her I’m the one who cooks though! She’s not much of a culinary queen. Cute pic on the porch!

theemptynutjar April 17, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Perfection doesn’t exist. Go wild…break all the rules – who needs them?

You are so teeny in that pic…u need to eat more of your mom’s homecookin’ !

u both are beautiful.

chasingthenow April 17, 2010 at 6:27 pm

You and your mom are so adorable in that photo. You can tell you have a blast together!

granolamakinmommy April 17, 2010 at 6:39 pm

aww sounds like so much fun!
ps i LOVE your pants! so cute!

elise April 17, 2010 at 6:45 pm

hey heather I can across your site when searching up blended green oatmeal..haha
i actually blend the raw stuff (spinach, oats, water etc) together then heat it stovetop but I see you do it in the opposite order. which do you think is better or have you only tried the latter?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Elise, I always liked the thought of keeping the spinach raw before blending since cooked spinach seems to add more of a “green taste” in my opinion. My advice is to go with whatever tastes best to you – either way, you’re still getting a nice dose of green goodness. :)

Jessica April 17, 2010 at 6:48 pm

So sweet. Mom’s are the best thing in the world – there is no one like your mom.

Kelsey April 17, 2010 at 6:52 pm

k no freaking way thats ur mom! im not just saying this, but she seriously look YOUNG if that ur mommy. amazing genetics!!! love mommy/daughter relationships… one of the strongest bonds for women are with their mothers.

Katherine: What About Summer? April 17, 2010 at 7:00 pm

What a great picture of you and your mom happy together!
Katherine

missyrayn April 17, 2010 at 7:03 pm

That’s such a fun name for a food. WHo wouldn’t want to eat food with such a fun name.

Glad you got to enjoy some time with your mom :-)

Justine April 17, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I am going to try to make it to my local market that day for a free (with purchase) re-usable bag. I love those things. They make me so happy! :)

Mother/daughter realationships are so wonderful. :) )

Danielle April 17, 2010 at 9:04 pm

My roommates make hanky pankies all the time! I didn’t know that’s what they were called lol.

Enjoy the time with your mom :D

Katie April 17, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Hanky Pankies…giggle giggle….

I went to an Earth Festival today also. no Bela Fleck though. Guess I know where he was.

midgetkeeper April 17, 2010 at 9:22 pm

What a sweet picture, you made me miss my Mom! I think it’s great that you enjoyed a favorite childhood treat.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 17, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Heather I love the pic of you and your mom! I def consider you a free spirit too :)

I hope to God that Skylar loves me like you love your mom. You probably have no idea that when I read posts like this about women who love their mothers and mothers who clearly love their daughters…it makes me cry (happy tears!) b/c this is what I am trying to do w/ Skylar. My own mom and I are not close, at all, and I am trying to do change that cycle with me and Skylar.

And the cheeze. I love the recipe and make similar cheeze with just lemon juice, nooch, and soaked cashews. If you add a red pepper it then turns into my kale chip coating. So good and easy.

Thanks for your lovely comment today, made me feel so nice :)

xoxo

Run Sarah April 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I love being mommed too – it never grows old! LOVE that candid shot – just beautiful!

Tenaya Roberts April 17, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Heather,
If Bekah and I look as good as the two of you when Bekah is your age…..Wow! Your mom looks very young. I know someone already commented, but seriously, you could pass for sisters. Cute! Your Hanky Pankies kind of reminded me of something my mom used to fix. Creamed chipped beef on toast. It was not cheesy, but the white sauce was oh, so good. I have not made it in a long time. Mom used to fix it for breakfast. Mmmmm……..my mouth is watering right now thinking about it.
Have a great week!
Blessings,
Tenaya

glidingcalm April 17, 2010 at 11:19 pm

awwwwww! mama HEAB!!! those sausage cheesy bites look soooooooooo good!! i would have had 4 too!

lola April 18, 2010 at 1:11 am

This is the first time you post something in your blog and I’m not drooling over! I don’t find those hanky pankies too appealling hehe but well, I’ll try them sometime!
The pic of you and your mom is so sweet :)

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) April 18, 2010 at 3:47 am

Cute pic of you + mom! :) I love being babies by mom, she lives with us LOL. Never heard of Hanky Pankies, but they look yummyyyyy

Jenn

Susan April 18, 2010 at 5:41 am

I LOVE that picture of you and your mom!!!! I’ve never heard of hanky pankies before, but I’m down with some cheese and sausage :P I went through a period of time too where I was totally against some of my favourite childhood foods because the ingredients are terrible and/or super high calorie. Finally in a spot now too where I know eating a slice of my mom’s meat pie isn’t going to kill me, and my mom loves being able to feed me :)

Heather April 18, 2010 at 6:15 am

I was raised by my dad from 8 months of age and just started to get to know my mom @ 12 yrs ago.
Now I see her @ twice a year (we live very far apart). We can’t really make up for lost time, but we certainly try! It’s SO weird how similar we are (personality-wise) even though I didn’t know her until I was 22 yrs old.

Heather April 18, 2010 at 6:24 am

Oh-as far as Earth Day plans-there is an Earth Fair in our little town. Last time (a couple years ago) they had so many fun (free) raffles where you could win rainbarrels, fishing poles, trees, etc.
I SOOOO badly wanted the rainbarrel. Instead my daughter won a fishing pole.

jennifer @ take the day off April 18, 2010 at 6:56 am

Hi Heather–Your Hanky Panky reminded me of an old school Stouffer’s dish called Welsh Rarebet. It is a little like cheesy fondue melted over toast. Takes me back…

I think it is great that you have been loosening your rules. Having certain boundaries and “rules” is necessary but finding freedom within them and knowing when to let them slide is just as important!

Totally with you on the Bela Fleck love!

Julie @ Pickley Pear April 18, 2010 at 7:13 am

Aren’t mom’s the best?! It’s so nice to hear that you have a wonderful relationship with your mom, those are the kinds of things to cherish for the rest of your life!

Emilyeatsclean April 18, 2010 at 7:22 am

That lunch looks delicious!!! Adorable pic of you and your mom!

-emily

Rachel A April 18, 2010 at 8:01 am

So that’s where you get your looks. Your mom is gorgeous!

Barbara April 18, 2010 at 8:11 am

That picture is so beautiful!
Definitely one that deserves to be on display in a picture frame! You are GORGEOUS! Hope the concert was fun! B

caronae April 18, 2010 at 10:03 am

I also think of myself as very independent but I just adore my mother and always will! I didn’t know it was earth day so I have no plans, I guess.

Gabriela April 18, 2010 at 10:14 am

Awww – your Mom looks so sweet! :)
Delicious dish! I wish my Mom could cook, haha.
Have a great Sunday, Heather!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

annecalista April 18, 2010 at 11:11 am

How sweet! My mom and I laugh a lot when we are together too.
Sounds like a fun day! Nashville is such a cool city :-)

rachael April 18, 2010 at 11:20 am

Moms are the best:) I love Bela Fleck, you have great earth day plans!

LesleyG April 18, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Mmmm, hankie pankies are GOOD! And moms are even better! :)

Carolyn April 18, 2010 at 2:42 pm

…mom’s home… :-}

Melissa S. April 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I love that picture of you and your mom!

and can I just say how much I appreciate and am digging the relaxation of your rules? I actually used it as inspiration to try the new indian dishes I did with the bloggers this weekend…along with the seeded pretzel AND the omelette…so much you helped me with this weekend, and you didn’t even know it!

Jenny R. April 18, 2010 at 5:25 pm

you and your mommy are so pretty :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) April 19, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Definitely nothing wrong with letting a mom be all mommylike for a while. I think they enjoy it as much as we (the kids) do. In fact, once my parents come to the east coast for the summer, I plan to indulge often. :)

Bekah April 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Such a precious post Heab. You make me miss my mommy! And that picture is priceless. Great shot.

{ 1 trackback }