Chocolate Chip Pancake Sandwich

by HEAB on April 18, 2010

I spent all morning at the dog park with our two pups while Chris went trail running with his friends. When I arrived home, CD was snacking on some chocolate chips. I snagged a few and decided to celebrate Pancake Sunday with something I haven’t made in a long time, chocolate chip pancakes!

In my Vita-Mix, I blended 1 egg + 2 egg whites on low until fluffy and then blended in 2 TBSP coconut flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 2 TBSP almond milk. I poured the batter into a greased skillet and tilted the pan back and forth to allow the batter to spread really thin as I was going for more of a crepe. I sprinkled a TBSP of chocolate chips onto each cake before flipping. These weren’t as pretty as I’d hope they’d be as I flipped the bottom one too early, and it fell apart. Oh well, still delicious! I layered my pancakes with plain goat milk yogurt and a few more chocolate chips on top.

Check out the melted chocolate goodness in-between the layers.

I love warm melted chocolate! The chocolate chips added enough sweetness for me, but you could also add your sweetener of choice to the batter. Many of you have asked me about coconut flour. I’ve only ever used Bob’s Red Mill, and I’ve never had a problem with it. If your brand of coconut flour resembles nothing but shredded coconut, I don’t think it will work as well. I purchase the flour at Whole Foods, but you can also order it online.

Also, I know a lot of my readers are vegans, and they can’t make most of my pancake recipes due to the eggs. So, if you’re looking for a light vegan crepe recipe, please check out Chocolate Covered Katie’s Crepe Cakes. I’ve made them before, and trust me, they are delicious!

I am so loving the spring weather. It’s sunny, and there is hardly any humidity in Nashville today. I’m hoping to get in a walk later. Hope it’s nice where you are! :)

Heidi April 18, 2010 at 11:50 am

I’ve seen lots of Bob’s products in stores, including coconut flour. I was curious to see if you’ve tried their soy flour as well – the stats are great (high protein), and I’d love to try it in your pancake recipe. Any thoughts?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 18, 2010 at 11:54 am

Heidi, I don’t tolerate most soy products very well (fermented soy products don’t seem to bother me), and so I generally stay away from the stuff. However, back in my vegan days, I did try baking with soy flour, and I have to say that I thought it was disgusting. Sorry. :(

homecookedem April 18, 2010 at 11:56 am

MMMMmmmmmmmm, I need to get my hands on some coconut flour! These look so good!!!!!!!!!

eatmovelove April 18, 2010 at 11:59 am

That looks like cake – I love it.
I’ve tried the coconut flour in baking; that and Brown rice flour, whole-wheat flour…I’ve also noticed Quinoa Flour – have you tried that?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 18, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Eatmovelove, Nope, never tried quinoa flour. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen it, but I bet I could grind up my own. Hmm, might have to try that one day. Thx!

Jenn April 18, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Those look really yummy. What sort of chocolate chips do you use? Are they made with sugar?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 18, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Jenn, I really like Whole Foods’s 70% dark chocolate chunks. However, today I went with a classic, Nestle Toll-House semi-sweet chips. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie April 18, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww if I didn’t already love you enough, now you go and give my crepe cakes such a sweet shout-out! I don’t think it’s possible for anyone to be sweeter than you are, Heather. Seriously, I think everyone in the blogworld would agree with me. If there were an award for sweetest blogger (well, besides those awards that everyone gets), I think you’d win, hands-down.
And holy chocolate pancake, your brekkie looks good.
I need to get my chopsticks on some of that “melted chocolate goodness” you describe :) :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 18, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Thanks Katie. Luv you. :)

Carbzilla April 18, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Yummers – I had a protein pancake yesterday but had oats today because I hadn’t had them in sooooooooo long. They feel awesome in my tummy!

Enjoy your beautiful day! Pretty nice out here in the PNW too!

Jenny April 18, 2010 at 12:27 pm

It’s gray in Florida- rain is coming in! Your pancakes look delish:)

Mae April 18, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I love chocolate chip pancakes so much. Scratch that, I love chocolate chips so much! Using coconut flour instead of grain flour makes pristine white, unhealthy and delicious looking pancakes. There’s no way a kid could say no to a plate of those. Little do they know there’s nutrition between those layers of love!
I vote this as pancakes of the month!! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 18, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Thanks Mae – I agree!

runnerforever April 18, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Oh, did you have to post that picture of such divine pancakes? Just kidding, kinda…they look soooo good, I am super jealous!

Angela (ohsheglows) April 18, 2010 at 12:32 pm

yet another mouth water creation!!!! I can’t wait to try this :)

Angela (ohsheglows) April 18, 2010 at 12:35 pm

oops I meant mouth watering obvi ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

It is amazing here in Atlanta too! I just took the boys to the park all morning! I am so in love with coconut flour…so good! Enjoy your Sunday!

Julie @ Pickley Pear April 18, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I wouldn’t be able to stop if I started eating those! Great start to a Sunday!

veggielady4life April 18, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Well don’t those just look scrumptious! I love melted chocolate, too. Chocolate chip pancakes always remind me of being in college… and the dining hall. People used to get in trouble for adding chocolate chips to the waffle mix before they put it on the hot waffle iron… the chocolate would stick and make it all gross (when lots of people did it). But… oh my… the finished product is soooo tasty! :mrgreen:

Justine April 18, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Those pancakes look so fluffy, and in a weird way, they don’t look sweet. I can’t really explain it, but there you have it. Happy Sunday :)

hair in my coffee April 18, 2010 at 2:03 pm

mmmm! That is a parfait of yumminess!

gina (fitnessista) April 18, 2010 at 2:21 pm

those look so good.. but you can put choco chips in pretty much anything and i’d eat it :)
i LOVED the pic of you and your madre in the last post. i’m so glad you had a good visit! it made me miss my madre big time.
hope you’ve had a great weekend <3
xoxo

Diana April 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm

They look delicious :)

Anna April 18, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Eh, who cares about what it looks like when it obviously tastes freakin’ delicious!!! Yum!

theprocessofhealing April 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oh my… those look INSANELY good!

Evan Thomas April 18, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Warm chocolate, especially at breakfast, is most definitely bliss

Rosa April 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Looks great! Mmmmm. I think they’re pretty even if you don’t :) My pancakes usually look like… burnt semi round things. Haha.

midgetkeeper April 18, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Those look really good!

Jessica April 18, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Pancake sandwich?! Sounds good to me! Yum. :)

VeggieGirl April 18, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Need. pancakes. now.

Amanda April 18, 2010 at 3:17 pm

mehhhmmmm. i’m so jealous this looks spectacular. i want some now. num nummmmm.

Kelsey April 18, 2010 at 3:18 pm

BOB’S IS MY FAVORITE!!! i love his product line like crazy <3

theemptynutjar April 18, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I don’t know where you find this stuff. I have never seen coconut flour. But I assume whole wheat flour and rolled oats would be great for foundations. I saw a great recipe for buckwheat pancakes that I think would be interesting (if I ever get my own kitchen or the chance or an ounce of productivity in me…I’m lucky if I get out of bed every morning :)

Run Sarah April 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Those look awesome – I love that pancake recipe base and usually use 2 tbsp of WW flour and it works great!

Kelly April 18, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I made gluten-free chocolate chip pancakes this morning too! I used the Pamela’s baking mix…it our favorite of all the GF brands we have tried!

Katherine: What About Summer? April 18, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Do you find it easier to order things online or buy in store? I am on a super budget and hate having to buy in large quantities online.
Thanks!
Katherine

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Katherine, The only items I purchase online are chia seeds and guar gum since both are much cheaper on the Internet. Otherwise, I try to just look for deals around town. My husband doesn’t eat coconut flour and many of the other products that I love, and so ordering in bulk online doesn’t make sense for me as 1 small bag of coconut flour will last me a long time. However, it I was making pancakes all the time for a big family or something, then I would definitely buy in bulk.

Melissa S. April 18, 2010 at 4:58 pm

wow, those pancakes look amazing!!! i have been craving pancakes for so many days but just can’t get myself to make then…yes, laziness has dominated.

Jenn (j3nn.net) April 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Those pancakes look tasty! I love melted chocolate, too. YUMMY! :)

Jenn

andrea kotarski April 18, 2010 at 6:11 pm

what can i sub the flour with? (anything but a wheat)
and almond milk with coconut milk? thanks they look great.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Andrea, Try oat flour – just grind rolled oats in a blender or food processor. I would use at least 1/4 a cup. You could also try oat bran or almond flour. Brown rice flour? Not sure about that last one as I’ve never used it. You could also use protein powder, but the pancakes will turn out a bit “rubbery”, and yes any nut milk will work to thin the batter a bit, including coconut. :) Enjoy!

Pure2raw twins April 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Pancakes look yummy as always…I cannot wait till the day I get to eat pancakes with you!!

Mom was in town to visit me too…glad you had a great time with your mom!!

eatmovelove April 18, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I read in one of your comments that CD doesn’t eat the flours and products you buy? Does he eat those pancakes?! Does that mean that you guys cook seperate meals, etc? Also – how does he eat ? – out of curiosity??? Is he super-”conscious” like you of what he eats and ingredients, etc…? A day of CD eats’ post !- HAHA – sorry for the ? I’m always curious about those studies that say your affected by those you live with, etc. in what and how you eat…

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2010 at 7:24 am

Eatmovelove, You have asked me before if CD eats the pancakes…no, he does not other than maybe a bite to try them. He usually goes trail running with friends every Sunday morning, and then they go out to breakfast or he comes homes and makes himself something, often consisting of bacon and eggs. We usually eat the same dinners but never the same breakfast or lunch.

CD has done 3 guest posts: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/06/04/a-day-in-the-life-of-cd/ http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/07/27/what-does-cd-eat-in-colorado/ http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/08/23/refueling-part-ii-cd-style/

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 18, 2010 at 7:36 pm

“Check out the melted chocolate goodness in-between the layers.”–
Oh, that was duly noted :)

As for coconut flour, I use Tropical Traditions and I’ve never tried Bob’s but the TT’s works nicely. And at 2 tbsp at a time (to 1/4 c) b/c let’s face it, you don’t need much b/c it’s so “absorbent”…I will have my same bag til about 2015 :)

thedailyoatmeal April 18, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Wow– goat’s milk yogurt– that is not one you see everyday! My grandpa made his own goat’s milk and yogurt when I was growing up and I have not had it since then. I remember it being so tart and creamy! :) I bet it was awesome on those cakes!

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover April 18, 2010 at 8:36 pm

YUMM-O!
A pancake sandwich?!
Holy MOLY!
Hahahaha.
Have a great night, Heather!
Brazilian XOXO┬┤s,
Gabriela

Katie April 18, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I picked up some coconut flour today. I can’t wait to try these…and with the choc. chips! I’ve added dairy and eggs back into my diet, so these will be on my list to try SOON! :D

Ashley April 19, 2010 at 12:24 am

I must try these coconut pancakes! I kept rechecking the recipe b/c there are only 2T of flour…it’s crazy that it makes enough for a serving!! Can’t wait to try it out. I haven’t had chocolate chips in my pancakes in so so long. Definitely a favorite. I just made some roasted maple cinnamon almond butter today that might be deeevine poured on top ;)

Allie (Protein Girl) April 19, 2010 at 6:37 am

We’re on the same wavelength! I made chocolate pb chunk pancakes yesterday.

eatmovelove April 19, 2010 at 8:06 am

Oh sorry it was just a question…perhaps I won’t ask in the future in fear of already having asked…:(
Perhaps my Patients’ old-age memory losses are rubbing off on me…

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 19, 2010 at 8:23 am

honestly you had me at chocolate chip sandwich :) this sounds really good…and i agree that the chips add JUST the right amount of sweetness!

Carolyn April 19, 2010 at 10:20 am

I remember we all wanted to be able to eat like CD does!!! BIIIIG plates..

charlotte April 19, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Your pancakes look divine! I’ve got to find me some coconut flour. Spent this weekend loving on the millet (that you introduced me to months ago)!

andrea kotarski April 19, 2010 at 1:14 pm

made my own oat flour as you suggested and used that with these. my daughter had them for a snack last night and we made them for breakfast too. thank you so much!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Andrea, So happy to hear the oat flour worked for you! :)

Hillary April 19, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I love waffle sammies, so I think I’d love this. Must experiment stat!

Bekah April 19, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Hellla yes. This is probably the best chocolate thing I’ve seen in a while. I want to make them now! I can’t believe this is only eggs and coconut flour and chocolate chips either! Now that I have the magic bullet, I’m feeling this is definitely doable! (My mom just so happened to mail me my coconut flour. weeee!) And goat milk yogurt, I’m intrigued, seeing as I hated goat milk as a girl.

Dani April 19, 2010 at 3:30 pm

These look great! I just picked up coconut flour and I can’t wait to make pancakes. Your posts are so yummy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Dani, I think you’ll love the coconut flour!

{ 1 trackback }