Creamy Dreamy Mushrooms

by HEAB on April 21, 2010

Guess who won my iHerb $50 shopping spree giveaway????

Picture 1.png

Congrats Miss Emily. Please email me with your address so that you can enjoy some green goodness soon. :)

I haven’t shared many dinners with you guys lately, and so I decided to document Monday’s night meal. If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, then you know most of my recipes are just HEABified versions of some old favorites. Growing up, I LOVED Hamburger Helper’s beef stroganoff.

Picture 3.png

That and Kraft Shells & Cheese were probably my two favorite dinners. Oh, how times have changed! :) Anyway, whenever I am craving old school dishes, I make them…with a few adjustments. Well, Monday night, I was craving beef stroganoff, and here is what I threw together.

For the pasta, I roasted a spaghetti squash in a 375° oven for 50 minutes…

Then I prepared some magical mushrooms, Katie style…

To my mushrooms, I added 1 cup of cream of mushroom soup and 2 TBSP regular sour cream.

After letting everything simmer until thick and creamy, I poured it over my noodles.

CD ate the same thing, but I added some sauteed grass fed finished beef and onions to his mushroom sauce…

We both loved this dish, and it was so easy and super filling.

What about you? Mushroom lover or hater?

Beth April 21, 2010 at 8:19 am

I loooove mushrooms. I used to hate them, but now stuffed portabellos are one of my all time favorites. I also love mushroom pizza.. I could go on!

Chocolate-Covered Katie April 21, 2010 at 8:20 am

HEAB! Once again we’re on the same wavelength. I had Magic Mushrooms yesterday too.

Chocolate-Covered Katie April 21, 2010 at 8:21 am

Whoops, didn’t mean to submit my comment yet. I wasn’t done talking!
I wanted to tell you how amazing your spaghetti squash dish looked! And I wanted to lament the fact that they don’t make vegan canned cream of mushroom soup. Maybe I will have to experiment and make my own…

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 21, 2010 at 8:26 am

Katie, That’s a damn shame. I’m sure you could recreate this dish – perhaps with some agar agar alfredo + mushroom? :)

Stephen April 21, 2010 at 8:23 am

I love mushrooms but my girlfriend hates them. Sadly when we cook together I have to avoid using mushrooms in any of the dishes. But I’m always happy to order them when I go out! This looks absolutely awesome!!

melissa @ the delicate place April 21, 2010 at 8:26 am

lover of shrooms! i make “pizzas” out of the big portobellas. and morels. oh don’t get me started i could eat forest mushrooms all.day.long!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) April 21, 2010 at 8:26 am

I love mushrooms, for which I have my husband to thank. I never ate them much before we got married. It’s like one of the only foods we can agree on. Now I like using them in almost anything! :)

brandi April 21, 2010 at 8:27 am

definitely a mushroom LOVER! this looks great and so easy!

Jen April 21, 2010 at 8:30 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE mushrooms! This looks so good!

Anna April 21, 2010 at 8:31 am

Oh man…I LOVE mushrooms. Love, love, love. Lol– I used to love Hamburger Helper as a kid too– I would BEG my mom to buy it for us! :-) Times have changed…

Danielle April 21, 2010 at 8:33 am

<– Mushroom Lover, right here :D

I'm loving all these childhood re-creations! If anyone can re-create the oatmeal cream pie…I would be eternally grateful. Actually, I could do that myself *lightbulb*

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 21, 2010 at 8:33 am

Looooove mushrooms. I just made portobello mushroob burgers on homemead kaiser rolls this week.

Jessica @ How Sweet April 21, 2010 at 8:34 am

I love mushrooms! my dad hates them – he says they are a fungus, not a food. :)

amsterwill83 April 21, 2010 at 8:37 am

LOVE mushrooms!! I just made chicken marsala last week and totally tripled the amount of mushrooms it called for :-)

Amanda

Lauren April 21, 2010 at 8:40 am

OMG this looks delicious!!!

Jessica April 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

I really want like mushrooms, I’ve tried over and over, but I just can’t:(

theemptynutjar April 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

well, that definitely isn’t hamburger helper..but whatever suits u, do it i guess!
mushrooms are good.
i see those “health valley ” soups..might pick some up.

operagirlcooks April 21, 2010 at 8:44 am

Mushroom lover! I made a batch of marinated mushrooms a couple days ago — they last in the fridge for a week or two and are delicious.

Angie April 21, 2010 at 8:54 am

I love this recipe..I like you grew up on hamburger helper! But using the squash is fabulous! Yum!

Amy @ Second City Randomness April 21, 2010 at 9:06 am

My fav Hamburger Helper back in the day was the stroganoff as well- but with potatoes instead of the noodles… LOVED those dehydrated and processed little suckers!

And I’m a big mushroom lover. I’ll pretty much put them into any lunch or dinner. I always find a way!

Tiffany P. April 21, 2010 at 9:08 am

I lub em! The husbands hates then though =(

Jenn April 21, 2010 at 9:08 am

I love mushrooms too and eat (and love) them sauteed in plain old butter. Maybe I’ll try something different next time I cook them.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) April 21, 2010 at 9:12 am

I used to Hate mushrooms but over time, I got myself to like them. Thank goodness! I would really be missing out otherwise!!

Carolyn April 21, 2010 at 9:15 am

Love mushrooms in all ways shape or forms.. Good HEABurger Helper recipe you made up! Will be trying that…

My favorite back in the day was the HH Potato Stroganoff.. i still use some real HH’s as a base for other dishes with lots of other things added in like bags of spinach (huge addition), tons of mushrooms, frozen peas etc.. etc.. I use my own Hamburger Helper Helpers!! How bad is that???

Hubby loves them but i won’t go there…

eatmovelove April 21, 2010 at 9:38 am

Okay…I am guilty of still eating Hamburger Helper on occasion ;) – not gonna lie; but this looks delish too!! I love mushrooms – eat them all the time. I would have had CD’s version with the beef :)

missyrayn April 21, 2010 at 9:42 am

I love them but Hunni hates them. That just means more for me :-)

runnerforever April 21, 2010 at 9:55 am

Spaghetti squash always looks so good, but I don’t have a clue how to make it. How do you get it all stringy, ya know, spaghetti like?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 21, 2010 at 10:49 am

Runnerforever, After roasting, you scoop out the seeds, and then pull the “strings” away from the flesh with a fork. It’s really easy – I promise. :)

kettlebelllove April 21, 2010 at 10:03 am

Holy moly, I am *definitely* making this. I love mushrooms to death, and luckily so does Brent. I usually don’t make noodle containing stuff because I don’t like noodles or pasta (texture). I’ve seen zucchini and/or spaghetti squash used in place of pasta on a number of blogs, but have never been motivated to try it until now. I just bought a bunch of portabellas from Costco yesterday, so yay!

- Beth

Rosa April 21, 2010 at 10:10 am

That looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe~

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 21, 2010 at 10:23 am

Total mushroom LOVER!!! My husband loves the beefy noodle, but since he has celiac now…I need to do this for him with gluten free pasta. I can’t convince him on the spaghetti squash. Oh well…his loss!

Kath April 21, 2010 at 10:23 am

Way to HEABify that recipe!! Makes me crave shrooms for real!

Mama Pea April 21, 2010 at 10:30 am

Stroganoff is a fave in our house too, though Pea Daddy isn’t much of a mushroom fan. One of our first dates, he tried to make stroganoff for me. His secret ingredient: ketchup. I do the cooking now.

Emily April 21, 2010 at 10:36 am

There is something so earthy and delicious about mushrooms – especially for a vegetarian! I can’t wait to try this meal. :)

Claire April 21, 2010 at 10:47 am

Love love love mushrooms!!cc

Gina April 21, 2010 at 10:52 am

Big mushroom hater here. Every once in awhile I will try them and like them, and I will eat portabellos, if they’re made like a steak, just plain. I don’t like them mixed in anything, etc. Its more of a texture thing than anything. They have to taste REALLY good for me to put up with the texture, and even so, sometimes its a toss up.

sarah @ syrupandhoney April 21, 2010 at 10:57 am

I’m posting a mushroom dish tonight! Button mushrooms and dried porcinis (soaked in boiling water) sauteed in butter, thyme, and rosemary. Add red wine, beef stock, and some of the porcini soaking liquid and simmer until reduced. Then I added a splash of balsamic and finished it off with a bit of heavy cream. Served over homemade pepper pasta!

Lara (Thinspired) April 21, 2010 at 11:05 am

A new use for spaghetti squash–I love it! And I even have some grass-fed beef sitting in the fridge that I need to use up tonight!

I love cream of mushroom soup in cooking. Growing up, my dad used to use it with pork chops, onions, mushrooms, and the soup over white rice. I know it sounds random, but it is soooo good. Nowadays I can’t eat like that, so maybe spaghetti squash and ground beef will be a good substitute! Thanks Heabie :)

Lara (Thinspired) April 21, 2010 at 11:07 am

P.S. Do you notice that grass-fed beef tends to only come in fattier proportions? I can’t find it any leaner than 85/15 without going online. Is it just CA, or have you had the same experience? I have been going back and forth between buying it leaner and not-grass fed and grass-fed and fattier. I’m hoping that splits the difference. What are your thoughts…just deal with the extra fat? I’m curious :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Lara, We used to buy grass fed beef from a local farm and were told it was 90/10. However, it was a bit tough, and honestly, I really had to doctor it up to enjoy it. Now, we buy from a farm that claims their beef to be 80/20, and it tastes so much better. I say go with the extra fat – grass fed is so much better for you! :)

Kayla April 21, 2010 at 11:24 am

Wow, this looks AWESOME!!! I lovelovelove mushrooms…raw, sautéed, roasted, doesn’t matter!! My man isn’t huge on them, so he tends to pick them out, and gives them to me :-)

Katie April 21, 2010 at 11:27 am

Drooling.

Evan Thomas April 21, 2010 at 11:28 am

I like mushrooms, but what I LOVE is spaghetti squash and grass-fed beef. Yum yum! I could definitely picture some carb-light american chop suey in my future

malpaz April 21, 2010 at 11:47 am

OMG MY MOUTH IS WATERING THIS LOOKS SO GOOD. beef and msuhrooms…seriously like my 2 favorite foods!

Olivia April 21, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Well I know what I’M having for dinner!! :)

annecalista April 21, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I’ve loved mushrooms ever since I was little. I would always request extra mushrooms on pizza when my parents would order it for dinner.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) April 21, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Mushroom lover! But only recently–it took me a while to get over the texture. Now I think they’re glorious. I like this meal idea because it’s a very simple (but worthwhile!) upgrade and doesn’t really take more effort than the boxed version. Props to you. :)

marshell y. Roper April 21, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

christina April 21, 2010 at 12:48 pm

oh heck yes!! nice recipe. i secretly love the swedish meatball lean cuisines! hahah. aren’t they similar dishes? they look alike! yours looks a trillion times better though :)

fitandfortysomething April 21, 2010 at 12:53 pm

that looks so good-love mushrooms for sure!

Kelsey April 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm

what a good idea! sometimes i feel like i have way too many shrooms in the fridge and nothing to do with them.. i need to make a creamy mushroom soup next time im in that predicament. thanks!!

lola April 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I can’t wait to try spaghetti squash!! with marinara sauce, yum!

Jenny April 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I love me some mushrooms, especially in an omelette!

BroccoliHut April 21, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I’m a shroom convert–I HATED them as a child, to the point that I would not even eat pizza that had them even remotely near it. Now, I am a total shroom lover–I can eat them raw or cooked!

Kate April 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Love mushrooms! That recipe looks fantastic!

Ashley April 21, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Mushroom lover! I need to make that next week. It looks delicious!

Katherine: What About Summer? April 21, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Looks great as always!
PS: emily can share some green drink with the other collegians :) I hope she atleast shows some pics- congrats girl!

Laurie April 21, 2010 at 7:38 pm

OMG – how awesome Heather!! I can’t wait to try this w/ff sour cream & maybe no mushroom soup. It will make it a perfect “clean” dish : ) I so love spaghetti squash to boot.

Jenn (j3nn.net) April 21, 2010 at 7:51 pm

LOVE mushrooms! That dish looks tasty. :D

Jenn

nellie April 21, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Looveeee mushrooms…all kinds…That looks really good! And thanks for explaining the spaghetti squash prep…I thought it would be more involved than that.

yogiclarebear April 21, 2010 at 9:16 pm

pretty much making this soon. with my grass fed beef too!!! :) :)

Lara (Thinspired) April 21, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I just made a version of this with the ingredients I had….grass fed beef, the same soup as you, Earth Balance (didn’t have any sour cream), and…yeah…red wine :) On top of wholewheat egg white noodles. SO GOOD, Heabie! Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 22, 2010 at 7:56 am

Lara, Sounds delicious – glad you enjoyed! :)

Mimi Honeycutt April 21, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Hot damn that looks yummy! Hehe, you have inspired my summertime recipe tinkering!

eef April 21, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Oh man, that looks SO good! I love mushrooms and spaghetti squash! For some reason I’ve only ever used spaghetti squash to make spaghetti… haha you know, the classic red sauce and all that. Don’t know why I didn’t ever think to make a better, mushroomier, sauce!

Do you roast your squash face up like that? I’ve always scooped out the seeds and turned it face down in a little water to bake it… But I made up how to make it in my head, so probably I’m wrong. haha but it’s always tasted fine, so whatever!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 22, 2010 at 7:58 am

eef, Yep, I always just roast mine face up. I’ve tried the face down in water method before, and my “noodles” always ended up kind of soggy. I prefer them more dry.

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen April 22, 2010 at 4:50 am

Mushrooms are very new to my life. I had a long time fear of them- simply because they grew in dark damp, places… Wondered how they could be any good for anyone. And then I learned…. Was never a question of love or hate- more of whether my insides would start sprouting them too.

Kelly April 22, 2010 at 7:52 am

Mushroom LOVER!!!!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health April 22, 2010 at 8:18 am

uh YUM. I was a hamburger helper fan too. Still am, actually. (But Velveeta Mac & Cheese officially wins my heart…)

I’ve got to say, though, speghetti squash just doesn’t do it for me noodle-wise :/ I’ve tried it a few times before as a pasta-replacement, but it always ended up making me crave pasta even more!

Allie (Protein Girl) April 22, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I LURVE mushrooms. Please make sure to quote Jessica How Sweet that she loves mushrooms that are not dipped in chocolate. Umami all the way! Savory, meaty, earthy mushrooms are the golden ticket.

Mushrooms Canada April 22, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Very interesting “healthy” take on Hamburger Helper! I never would have thought to serve it over spaghetti squash like that… I love the double hit of mushrooms with the fresh and soup mixture. Thanks for sharing!
- Brittany

Teri [a foodie stays fit] April 23, 2010 at 10:03 am

hahaha! I used to love Hamburger Helper and Shells & Cheese too. I used to hate mushrooms, but I’ve started to like them lately. I love their earthy flavor!

paijery April 25, 2010 at 6:04 am

I just made this last night for dinner and omg is it ever good. I love mushroom. Either bbq mushrooms or mushroom gravy is my favorite!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 25, 2010 at 9:44 am

OMG you just totally made me crave mushrooms and it’s not even 9am. I’m gonna buy me some cream of mush soup next time I’m a-shoppin’. :-)

KC April 25, 2010 at 12:14 pm

mushroom la la lover!!!!

David April 25, 2010 at 7:42 pm

This looks goooooooood, thanks!

Candice June 30, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I have a quick question! How do you make those “noodles”??? DO you just use a cheese grater?

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Candice, Nope, I cut the spaghetti squashin half length-wise and roast the halves face-up on a foil lined baking sheet in a 375 degree oven for about 50 minutes. After it’s done baking, simply scoop out the seeds and discard. The noodle-like flesh should then easily pull away from the skin with a fork.

ME July 30, 2011 at 9:46 am

Just wanted to comment, you usage of the term ‘magic’ or ‘magical’ mushrooms is an exclusive term for psilocybin . That’s a hallucinogenic mushroom and it is illegal in all 50 states. I really don’t think your post is responsible to the public ONLY BECAUSE if someone read your recipe and thought… ‘Hmm think I’ll try this’ and used real Magic Mushrooms, they’d be dead after eating. It takes a very small amount of ‘magic’ muhsrooms to knock you on your arse… Words to the wise.

{ 3 trackbacks }