New Title: I'm Listening. :)

by HEAB on April 24, 2010

I’m a girl and therefore, every so often, I NEED chocolate. Not WANT, but NEED. Many apologies to my male readers, but try as you might, I don’t think you will ever truly understand these cravings. Not every woman has them, but if you’re like me, then nothing will stop you from securing your chocolate drug of choice.

Let’s see, it was Thursday, and the cravings hit. I immediately went to the cabinet to find that my stash of Pamela’s mini chocolate-chip cookies (love those!) had been attacked by The Cookie Monster, aka CD. Dearest hubby, I will be finding a new hiding place for my beloved little cookies. Good luck finding them next time. ;)

Since no cookies were to be had, I searched around in the cabinet for another source of chocolate, and decided to make a batch of fudge using the following two ingredients…(photo taken after digging them out of the recycle bin, hence the ripped box and empty can).

Not too long ago, reader Kim told me to try using canned pumpkin to make brownies, an idea made popular by this recipe. Anyway, there was no canned pumpkin to be found, but I figured some butternut squash would work just as well. Thanks again for the recommendation Kim!

This recipe could not have been simpler. Stir the brownie mix and squash together, pour into greased baking dish, and bake in a 350° oven for 35 minutes. Allow to cool and then refrigerate.

Looks fudgy, no? But, how did it taste you ask? Well, there were 3 of us that tried it. CD took a few bites and wasn’t too impressed. My friend Jessica made a strange face after she tried it, but I for one loved it. Yes, it probably would have worked better with the more neutral tasting pumpkin. However, I love both butternut squash and chocolate, and to me, this was a match made in heaven. Besides, I’m the girl that used to blend cauliflower into her oat bran, remember? There aren’t many veggie combos I don’t like. ;)

First I ate a piece all on its own…

Then I dumped a big serving into what was left of my vanilla coconut milk ice-cream

Guess what I ate for breakfast the next day?

4 small pieces of fudge atop a container of goat milk yogurt. Yum. The chocolate mixed with the tangy yogurt was divine! After a few more nibbles here and there throughout the day and about 24 hours later…

Oops. So, there ya have it folks. HEAB does have her if I don’t get some chocolaty goodness in my system right now, I will go crazy on you moments. I am a normal girl who does go overboard at times. Yes, for the most part, I say no to sugar, and when I do indulge, I try and keep it somewhat healthy. Hey, I least I got in a few servings of veggies with this recipe, right? Anyway, trust me, I’m not perfect, and nor do I ever hope to be. Again, I’m relaxing those rules and enjoying life a lot more. :)

To all the chocolate lovers out there as well as chocolate haters, have a wonderful weekend!

Girl Hero Jenn April 24, 2010 at 9:08 am

You have the most interesting food combinations.

I used to get crazy chocolate cravings but since I cut out refined sugar a few years ago they have greatly subsided. Just this year I started allowing desserts made at home with natural sugar back in my diet (trying to relax a few rules as well) and the funny thing is I am not really eating them like I thought I would. I’d like to think I have mastered my addiction but truth be told I’m probably just too lazy since I decided any dessert I eat must be homemade. ;-)

I’m sure I would like those brownies too. I’ll eat anything if it’s sweet.

Stephanie April 24, 2010 at 9:18 am

They look so fudgy and delicious!

There is no denying a womans love of chocolate…try as you may…you just have to have it once in awhile!

Evan Thomas April 24, 2010 at 9:18 am

I’m a guy but I am right with you on the chocolate cravings. i find it hard to stop once I get going on chocolate, but boy oh boy does it feel good. At least dark chocolate has those antioxdiants, right? Need some excuse…

Mish April 24, 2010 at 9:19 am

Why don’t you say ‘I am being good’ by listening to what your body is needing, instead of saying that you’re being ‘bad’?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 24, 2010 at 10:09 am

Mish, Good call. I changed the title. :)

Marina April 24, 2010 at 9:49 am

I don’t have such “monthly” cravings, but last week, for my birthday, I so indulged in chocolate brownies my boyfriend made me. I just couldn’t stop! I haven’t had chocolate in a really long time, and it felt great to stuff my face with it :) )

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 24, 2010 at 9:51 am

thankfully you found some chocolate to mix together. id love to have seen u if u couldnt find any lol hehe. i never say no to chocolate.. it wouldnt be fair <3

eatmovelove April 24, 2010 at 9:53 am

I agree with Mish – I don’t see why you’ve been “bad” ?Does that mean all the chocolate and store-bought pizza I consumed makes me “Bad”??. Sorry, I’m just not a fan of the connotations of that word…and, yes, ultimately that has to do with MY own feelings – not you!

I do understand you have fairly strict or perhaps “different” eating rules though so it’s your own personal way of life.

Enjoy your saturday (and it does look good in any case :) )!

runnerforever April 24, 2010 at 11:43 am

Whenever I bake brownies the pan ends up looking like that in no time as well. I just keep cutting off slices and pretty soon it is almost all gone…oh well, I seem to survive :-)

jentrinque April 24, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Heather, I would have totally eaten that if you’d given me a piece! I’ve made chocolate cake using boxed mix and a can of pumpkin, but never thought of using brownie mix. And never thought of using butternut squash, either, but I do love both chocolate and squash. Mmmm. And I’m glad you’re relaxing your rules, because it’s wonderful for you and helpful for your readers to see someone who isn’t too tied up in what she eats. Good stuff!

caronae April 24, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I couldn’t agree more with this post Heather dearest! I absolutely have times when I need chocolate. This sounds like a brilliant way to solve that problem! I never would have thought of blending the fudgy brownie mix with pumpkin or squash. Mmmmmm. I love weird veggie combos too :)

Cherie April 24, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I’ve got to have some type of raw chocolate concoction once a week. Interesting combo…I’ll have to try my ACD brownie’s with the pumpkin. Thanks Heather! Hope you & CD have a great weekend!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 24, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I would say being perfect is indulging occasionally. If you don’t, then you are just weird! Hey, besides…you did put your veggies in it! Great justification. Also, I have learned that there are certain times in the month that you just have to feed the beast within. Trust me, it makes everyone happier!

Amy @ Second City Randomness April 24, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Well at least if they don’t like it that just means more for you! lol.

I think there should be a step program for chocolate. I hear those cravings, girl!

homecookedem April 24, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Great idea to put in the butternut squash! I have that same can in my pantry. I will have to try this out next time I have those same chocolate cravings!! ;)

Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 24, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I don’t actually like chocolate that much but my boyfriend has chocolate cravings worse than any girl :)

pantrybites April 24, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Is that frosting on top or does the whole batch look like whipped chocolate? When I get chocolate cravings, I only want the frosting on top of a cake.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Pantrybites, Nope, no frosting. The entire batch was really “fudgy”. I think you might like it. :)

*Andrea* April 24, 2010 at 1:33 pm

my chocolate cravings come in full force too!!! this recipe is a godsend i’m sure :) healthy too!!!

Danielle April 24, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I def. get those chocolate cravings too. But it’s weird…a straight up piece of chocolate never does it for me. It has to be chocolate with something else (like chocolate chips on top) or chocolate flavored (like brownies :D )

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Nothing wrong with a little chocolate every once in a while!! :)

xo
K

Heather April 24, 2010 at 1:46 pm

i KNOW what you mean about chocolate cravings…there’s just no getting around it! i always have to do a piece of really dark chocolate and just let it melt in my mouth. HEAVEN.

Tabitha April 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Wow, another amazing mix, did you play a lot with your at home chemistry set as a kid?
Mine stayed in the box and I eat boring food, I bet yours was tattered round the edges!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 24, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Tabitha, So funny, but yes, I had a chemistry set and loved it. However, I never liked my science classes…hated all the lab reports! ;)

Kelly April 24, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Good for you…I am proud of you for relaxing your rules and enjoying food more! Happy Saturday! :)

theprocessofhealing April 24, 2010 at 2:42 pm

YUM!!!! I hear you on the chocolate cravings. Sometimes nothing else will suffice :)

theemptynutjar April 24, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Gosh Heather….I would eat the entire pan x 10…and that would be just the BEGINNING…., seriously though…

I have chocolate every day…and most days, i have a lot (like a lot)…whatever, roll with it I think….that is what I am doing anyway! (and like I said, chocolate is but one culprit :)

If you think that is “bending the rules” , you need to start REALLY bending the rules :) u r not yet a wild woman!

I think you have a different perspective and history with food though, so as long as you are doing what you want that is what counts.

Pure2raw twins April 24, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Brownies look good to me ; ) We did avocado once in our brownies, it were weird at first but then we just loved them. Sometimes you have to try something more than once ; ) And I have been having so much chocolate this week…it is out of control, seriously!

Justine April 24, 2010 at 4:40 pm

That was such a great idea! I think I might have to try that. I usually just make some hot chocolate to get my (rare) chocolate craving under control, but sometimes a girl jsut needs some fudge! Thank you Heather :)

Katie April 24, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Chocolate + anything is going to be good. You can cover a dirty sock in chocolate and I’ll eat it. (The chocolate that is, I’ll leave the sock.) :D

Josie April 24, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Heather, i’m so glad you changed the title to this post. i had been a binge eater and a “dieter” for far too many years before i changed my outlook on everything. and now, for the first time ever, i’m listening to the Spirit and body and eating whole, natural foods and exercising moderately in an effort to lose weight slowly.
i had this habit of thinking about all my food choices (nutritionally sound or not) as either a punishment or a reward. it’s just made me nuts for a long time, and i’ve still got a lot to learn; but i’ve come a long way. and reading your story and blog is super-positive encouragement. you’ve helped me accept and embrace that we NEED fats! and pancakes on sunday is a pretty cool tradition, too.
sorry this is so long- i just wanted to say thanks for a good example!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 24, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Josie, I enjoyed every word you wrote. Thank you! :)

thecoconutmama April 24, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Those sure look delicious! I’m going to have to try them out sometime. Thank you for sharing your food with us. I love food!

Natalie April 24, 2010 at 5:48 pm

sounds just like the black bean brownies. I wonder which has more nutritional value!

kelli April 24, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I totally thought of you today, in Whole Foods I saw goat’s milk ice cream! (and I know you like your goat’s milk yogurt :D ) here :http://www.laloos.com/

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 24, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Kelli, I’ve seen the goat milk ice-cream but never bought it. With all my goat lovin as of late, I really should try it soon! Thanks for thinking of me. :)

Mama Pea April 24, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Now I’m dying to know what the first title was…

I’ve made those brownies before, but I stirred peanut butter into the batter too. YUM!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 24, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Mama Pea, The original title went something like: “I’ve been very bad…And enjoyed every minute of it.”

fartygirl April 24, 2010 at 7:08 pm

SO GLAD to know I’m not the only one who NEEDS chocolate sometimes. :) And lady, I cannot imagine how squash brownies wouldn’t taste good!!! Eat ‘em up! :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 24, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Heabie’s note to self: make more sweets with ingredients that involves CD making a face.

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover April 24, 2010 at 9:52 pm

YAY for chocolate, girl!
Amazing pics :D
Have a terrific Sunday!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 24, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Nice work, Heather! Choco cravings = must listen to them. No matter what! I hear ya!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 25, 2010 at 1:04 am

I’ve made No Pudge brownies with canned pumpkin before and I couldn’t even tell that they had pumpkin in them. Those look fudgy and yummy!! :)

Jenn

Jan April 25, 2010 at 5:31 am

Here’s an interesting thought about chocolate. I just read somewhere yesterday — I think it was in the Eades book, Protein Power but can’t say for sure — that if you crave chocolate you could be low in magnesium. Well, I track that nutrient on http://www.sparkpeople.com and I NEVER get enough magnesium. Yesterday, I took a magnesium supplement. We went to a party last night where they had the most incredible chocolate desserts! However, it just occurred to me as I was reading about all the chocolate-talk that I wasn’t tempted to have even one! I had shrimp, meatballs, cheese, and veggies and was one happy camper. Could it be?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 7:16 am

Jan, Yes, the alternative MD I work for often prescribes magnesium supplements for PMS symptoms, but I’d decided taking them is no where near as much fun as eating actual chocolate. ;)

Sarah April 25, 2010 at 5:40 am

That combo sounds like a really yummy combo to me. I’m not sure if my husband would enjoy it, but that would mean more for me! :-)

Melissa S. April 25, 2010 at 6:00 am

I’ve tried brownies that way with pumpkin…sooo true their fudgy! I really like them!

Katherine: What About Summer? April 25, 2010 at 6:28 am

listening, reading, it’s all blogger to me
HEAB, I admire you dexterity in creating posts. I’m totally still learning to navigate this blogging thing!
Katherine

Bekah April 25, 2010 at 7:44 am

Yeaaahh, I literally just made butternut squash out of the can mixed with protein powder and dark cocoa powder. yum! I do prefer pumpkin as well, the butternut out of the can is very “baby food” consistency, but I’m sure you couldn’t tell in these chocolately things!
Looks delicious.

Kristie April 25, 2010 at 11:24 am

Chocolate is awesome and it should be indulged in on the regular! Most especially in “healthified” form. I’ve done the brownie mix with pumpkin thang before and I loved it. Pretty sure my fam wasn’t a fan either but I enjoy desserts that include healthy stuff MORE. And I’d almost certainly have that pan polished off within a few days. No harm!

Mary Licata April 25, 2010 at 11:37 am

Heather,
I am a relatively new fan of your blog – a few weeks now.
Actually yours is the only blog I ever subscribed to.
I love it…could you recommend a healthy brand of peanut and almond butter which you love…
thanks,
mary

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 11:41 am

Mary, My favorite nut butters are the Trader Joe’s roasted unsalted crunchy almond butter and unsalted crunchy peanut butter (red label). Both are so good and relatively inexpensive compared to other brands. I also like Whole Food’s 365 brand crunchy roasted unsalted almond butter. However, if I can’t get to either store, I just look for whatever natural brand I can find containing nothing but nuts, and I love it chunky. Usually also go for unsalted if I can find it.

Thanks for reading HEAB and enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)

Kendall April 26, 2010 at 1:48 am

This is a great idea! I wonder if canned (or mashed) sweet potato would work/taste good as well. I learned that you can sub a can of pumpkin for the oil, eggs etc in a box of cake mix (same idea). My friend/former coworker tried it with a chocolate mix and made cupcakes for a work birthday thing and while the consistency was totally great, everyone thought they tasted weird (except for us). I later tried it with a spice cake mix and they were a huge hit with the same people! So I guess some flavor combos work better than others but the can of pumpkin works wonders. They were so fluffy and moist! And with all the natural baking mixes on the market it’s a great way to add some nutrients and still whip up something fuss free and quick! p.s. I’m the queen of “kitchen counter grazing” as my brother calls it. One square inch one minute, two inches the next and all of a sudden “Holy Cow the pan is 3/4 gone!” :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 26, 2010 at 6:52 am

Kendall, Love the idea of spice cupcakes. So trying that next time, and yes, I think canned sweet potatoes would be delicious in the recipe!

Becca April 26, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Maybe it’s stupid, but this makes me feel good because lately I’ve been NEEDING chocolate. Just all of a sudden needing it, and kind of feeling bad about that- I do chocolate in a healthy way I guess, but it’s still chocolate.
Anyway, thanks for this :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 26, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Becca, You’re welcome. :)

charlotte April 26, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I’d eat your squash brownies! Your experiment totally sounds like something I would do. Except my results are usually less positive.

I hear you with those chocolate cravings!!

{ 2 trackbacks }