Pancake Hiatus

by HEAB on April 25, 2010

Happy Un-Pancake Sunday. Just wasn’t feeling the flapjacks this morning my friends. Most Sundays I love coming up with a creative pancake recipes to share with all of you, but I’ll be honest. There are some weekends when I’d rather just eat something simple for breakfast. So, in keeping with My Pledge, I went with what I truly wanted, a big bowl of crunchy cereal with a huge ripe banana and almond milk.

Oh my goodness, this could not have tasted more perfect. Mother’s Cinnamon Oat Crunch is my new favorite cereal. Have you ever tried it?

It kind of reminds me of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but personally, I think the Mother’s brand is better! Not only do I have Restaurant Rules , but did you know I had rules for cereal as well? Yes, yes, I did. First off, I rarely buy cereal. Whenever I peruse the cereal aisle, the following thought usually runs through my mind: Heather, cereal is nothing but carbs and will never fully satisfy your hunger, etc. However, on my last trip to the grocery store, the following thought occurred instead: Heather, sometimes it’s nice to just eat what you want rather than forcing yourself to eat what you think you should. So, buy the damn cereal if that’s what you really want, okay? Another cereal rule of mine was that the calories per serving had to be less than 200, and the number of sugars had to be lower than both the fiber and protein. Um yeah, not so with this new box…

Picture 3.png

Yes, I could choose to buy puffed rice or plain old corn flakes, but I really wanted to try the Cinnamon Oat Crunch despite the 15 grams of sugar per serving. Well, I am so glad I did as this cereal did not disappoint! It was like like eating a big bowl of crunchy sweet cinnamon pillows, and the banana…oh my, the banana. Now y’all know I love adding nut butters to both hot and cold cereal, but honestly, there is nothing that pairs better with a big bowl of cereal than a ripe naner. Yep, believe it or not, I have banana rules as well. Honestly, I’ve tried to avoid them for years. According to my rules, I should stick to low glycemic fruits since my body doesn’t handle fructose well. Berries are fine, perhaps a Granny Smith apple, etc., but not bananas. I’m sorry, but that’s a stupid rule. Life is too short not to enjoy a freaking banana if I really want one. So, there! Bye-bye Cereal Rules, I’ve moved on. :)

Tell me, what is your favorite cereal these days, and do you scrutinize the nutrition label before throwing the box in your cart? I still want to know what the cereal’s ingredients are and make sure I’m getting some fiber, but I really want to be a bit more relaxed with the other nutrition facts.

Tracy April 25, 2010 at 8:41 am

I love that Cinnamon Oat Crunch, but right now my favorites are Kashi Nuggets (like Grape Nuts) and Kashi Honey Sunshine if I’m in the mood for some sweetness!

Holly April 25, 2010 at 8:47 am

I have banned Kashi Honey Sunshine from my life because I seriously cannot stop eating it! So, so bad. I used to get the big box that had two bags of it inside and it would last maybe a week. BAD! (But oh sooo good!!)

I like my bran flakes now. In the cafeteria I create this weird combination of bran flakes, a few semi-sweet chocolate chips, a few walnuts, and a few whole cranberries — all with rice milk. Yes, I have issues.

You are really inspiring me by relaxing your rules just a tad, Heather. I never want to eat unhealthily ever again, but micromanaging everything that goes in my mouth is so draining! (As you can see, though, you are way tougher than I am! I am a weenie!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 9:06 am

Holly, I don’t think your wheat bran flakes combo sounds weird at all. Sounds delicious to me. :)

Evan Thomas April 25, 2010 at 9:12 am

I think so often the most filling thing is just what our heart desires and nothing more. That cereal bowl sounds delicious

I'm Allergic April 25, 2010 at 9:53 am

Heather! Just discovering your blog now – love it! Almond butter, almond milk, almonds all around are the absolute greatest. Loved your chocolate post, btw :)

andrea kotarski April 25, 2010 at 9:58 am

looks good. is it gluten free?
hope lots can suggest some decent gluten free cereals!
we are still hooked on your pancakes. they now get a whole cup of gluten free oats,
a whole banana, coconut milk and a few choc. chips!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 11:30 am

Andrea, Nope the Mother’s cereal is not gluten free, but there are several gluten free options in the cereal aisle at Whole Foods, even granola.

thedailyoatmeal April 25, 2010 at 10:07 am

I’ve said the greatest thing about being single is that I can have as many different kinds of cereal in my apartment and not have anyone to tell me how silly it is :) I could probably rival Seinfeld with my pantry shelf!

That said, I spend quite a bit of time scrutinizing the labels before I buy…and I have my go-to’s. I have the healthy cereals that I eat regularly– high in fiber and protein, but low in sugars, and then I have a few that are more of a treat that I might eat instead of a desert if i have a craving. My favorites are Kashi Go Lean and Puffins PB squares :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 25, 2010 at 10:30 am

I hear ya on the lazy breakfasts…I think that is why I do my pancake thing for dinner! Breakfast is simple even when I do oatmeal! I have a rhythm and it is quick/easy! I know this is going to sound horrible, but while I normally do worry about the nutritional content of cereals (I read them like a hawk) I have really been in to corn chex lately. They are just the perfect mix of sweet/salty and crunchy! I rarely do milk on my cereal, but if I did…it is always almond milk! YUM! Enjoy your day with your husband. Mine finally finished an illustration and we are going out for some lunch with the boys. Hopefully some sunshine will be involved too! Gotta get some vitamin D!

annecalista April 25, 2010 at 10:40 am

Hooray for breakin’ the rules ;-)
I don’t buy cereal that often, since my husband and I are eating more oatmeal and oat bran (or eggs and veggies for me!) these days. When I do buy it, I definitely will spend more money to buy an all natural or organic choice. Usually it’s Kashi. I am thinking more about the sugar conent these days, though, and I also look at the fiber and protein, and calories. Geez. Lots to think about when choosing a box of cereal I guess!

Samantha (Food Edu) April 25, 2010 at 10:52 am

I think this is my first time visiting your blog. I like your message in today’s post–sometimes you’ve gotta ditch the rules and do what you want! I normally don’t eat cereal either because I crash and burn hard.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 11:30 am

Samantha, Welcome. Thanks for reading. :)

Heather April 25, 2010 at 11:10 am

Fave cereal you ask??
My options are seriosly limited due to my gluten intolerance, so I’ll nave to stick with my Rice and Corn Chex with almond milk.
As far as hot cereal BRM rice farina with pb rocks :)

Ana April 25, 2010 at 11:34 am

I do look at cereal boxes as I don’t like my cereal too sweet. My favorites are Kashi GoLean (the original one, the others are all extremely sweet for my taste), Uncle Sam Cereal (no sugar on this one I love it!), and Trader Joe’s High Fiber O’s – this one is so good, it looks like cheerios but is crunchy and delicious, plus not too sweet (I have even “seasoned” them with salt, pepper and olive oil and toasted on a dry skillet, it may sound weird, but taste so good, it is great when I want something salty and with fiber to boot!)
I love all three of those cereals, although my favorite “cereal” of all is a bowl of oatmeal, nothing beats it! (and it is a lot less processed too!)

Jennifer April 25, 2010 at 11:47 am

Hi Heather,

I hear you on the relaxing the rules. My husband and I have pretty much been following the primal blueprint these last few months – he’s had huge weight loss success, and I’ve had some. I decided I wanted to up the ante and started logging on FitDay to see where my carbs were, and was starting to stress out about keeping them under 100gr/day. Time to get ‘serious’, I thought, so I tried eliminating most fruit…and I was miserable…and I didn’t lose any weight anyway.

So I figured I’d just relax, and eat healthy, mostly primal fare, and enjoy my fruit! And I’ve lost 3 more pounds since then, even while going through hormonal noshing mode and slipping in some completely unprimal foods! So really, obsessing and forcing yourself to eat a way that isn’t intuitive and enjoyable isn’t a recipe for success – counting carbs and calories, on the otherhand, is a recipe for failure and frustration!

Keeping it simple, eating whole unprocessed foods that are mostly primal and enjoying those foods that are not for what they are appears to be the best, most sustainable way for me to eat.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 11:56 am

Jennifer, I couldn’t agree more – such a balanced approach. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you’re on a good path. :)

Carrie @ I See Monsters April 25, 2010 at 11:54 am

Your relaxed rules are totally inspiring, Heather. For as long as I remember, I’ve had this weird phobia about “drinking” calories. (Except for alcohol, which I think I’ve somehow convinced myself is calorie free. Ha!) Therefore, I would never drink a smoothie for fear of all of the “empty” calories in there. Well, I realized recently that was DUMB. Now, I drink a smoothie for breakfast or a snack several times a week and you know what? It fills me up for hours! Why was I torturing myself all of those years avoiding delicious, nutritious smoothies? Sigh.

I used to eat Kashi GoLean Crunch Honey Almond Flax like it was my job, but recently I started making my own granola (using Mark Bittman’s recipe: http://tinyurl.com/25osl4c) and I love it so much. I can add whatever I want and it’s really fun! I still love that Honey Almond Flax though, I’m not gonna lie. :)

Marina April 25, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I am like you, I have cereal rules. Which is stupid, ’cause I adore cereal. I even consider plain cornflakes to be my guilty pleasure!
But I try to relax a bit, because I enjoy eating cereal with warm milk, it is so comforting!

Gina April 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I like to have rules so that I am more conscious of what I am eating. I can (and do) choose to break them once in a while but the vast majority of the time I like to eat by my rules because they help me feel my best and keep my weight in check.

I tend to avoid cereal because it doesn’t fill me up and too many processed carbs makes me feel bloated and slow. But on the rare occasion when I do eat it as a treat (never a meal), I like Cinnamon Puffins by Barbara’s Bakery. And I always have them in the house because my 7yo daughter loves them. They are high fiber, relatively low sugar (6 grams), and delicious!

Run Sarah April 25, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Great post! I usually go for cereals that are less than 200 cal/cup too as I can go overboard on random handfuls but am trying to relax that rule. I also won’t buy PB Puffins anymore because I cannot control myself around them and end up with a sugar rush and empty box within a few days.

operagirlcooks April 25, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Ooh, that cereal sounds very good. My favorite cereal is shredded wheat — no added sugar and the texture is so satisfying.

Anna April 25, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I love, love, love Nature’s Path cereals. Their pumpkin granola is the BOMB dot com. ;-)

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini April 25, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I no longer eat my favourite cereal anymore. It is just too bad for me. I eat a fantastic muesli made with apricots, mangoes and dates.

Mandiee April 25, 2010 at 1:07 pm

wow, congrats on breaking lots of your rules today and being true to yourself. i used to eat cereal a lot, but now it just doesn’t strike my fancy. when i want a cereal snack though, i ADORE original puffins. they are sweetened with only molasses and i love them. have you had them before? if not, i would definitely recommend any of the flavors.

have a lovely day!
xox

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Mandiee, Love the Puffins – all of them!

Megan April 25, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Yep, I totally have cereal rules. Part of the is because I have to eat gluten free and most cereals are not but most of it is because of some silly nonsense. Cereal rarely enters my house. That’s my rule. I do not have a good relationship with the stuff. If I eat one bowl I want more. I should just say screw it and eat the damn cereal. If I do buy cereal, however, I like Puffins cereal. My favorite is the cinnamon puffs with almond milk, walnuts, and raisins. It’s like eating cinnamon-raisin walnut bread.

theemptynutjar April 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Cereal is great HEAB…all kinds!
But your bowl is still so simple and tiny (for someone like me)…
for me it would be the cereal, granola, milk, yogurt or no sometimes (it all changes), cocoa powder, bananas (MUST), nut butter (MUST), nuts, other fruits, dried fruits, etc etc etc…i will stop here, cause i will forget something :) and then stuff on the side.

You can have it all sometimes ( or all the time in my case ;)

Kelly April 25, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I know I keep telling you this but it makes me smile at how awesome you are at ditching your food rules! I am so happy that you are living and enjoying food and not letting it rule your life! My favorite cereals (I do not have just one) are KIX (all variaties) and Puffins (especially the peanut butter and multigrain…but darn those cinnamon ones are good too!! haha) As for kids cereals…yes…I still like my kiddie sugar…I like cinnamon toast crunch and fruit loops! :)

I love bananas and I am glad you have embraced them again! I actually used to be the way you were with bananas but with carrots. Now I just roll my eyes…really…what was I thinking?

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover April 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I think you´re so right, Heather – it´s healthy to break the rules once in a while!
Cereal is not going to kill you!
And, bananas? ;)
Have a wonderful day, love!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

pantrybites April 25, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Too much bananas freak me out as well. Lately, I’ve been having 1/4 of a large banana drizzled with tahini for my afternoon snacks. Surprisingly filling and satisfies both the sweet and savory palette.

BroccoliHut April 25, 2010 at 2:08 pm

So glad you went with your gut on the cereal! I personally am a huge fan of cereal (I think I have 6 boxes open at the moment?) but I tend to scrutinize the number of added sugars. My all-time favorite cereal is Kashi GoLean.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I have/have had the same ‘rules’ in my brain about nannerz vs berries/apples- same exact ones. I’ve also laxed. it IS the same calories (an apple=a small banana).

My fave cereal and I’d eat it even if i had no rules is Heritage flakes- soooooooooooooo good, lots of fiber and only 100ish cals for 3/4 cup. Totes my fave. I’ll admit that I caved and bought the chocolate cheerios the other day (also low cal) and they are good too :-)

Happy sunday!

W. April 25, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Heather

I am sorry because I like your blog. But your posts are bothering me lately.

You act as though cereal and fruit is a bad thing. It is not. The subtitle of your blog is not living up to its potential.
You have a lot of food fears and phobias I think.

Cereal? Really? Cereal is a food. Eat food. Banananas and nut butters are food. Eat food. And you also have nut butter with the banana and cereal. You act as though adding one must automatically eliminate the other.

I think you have food phobias and I think that is how you relate to a lot of people. But I also think that in the past you have presented yourself as saying “sugar is no good” , “fruit is no good”.

I think now you might see that it is your food fears and your “rules” operating. So I hope you will not preach things again as fact.

I don’t know why you are so rigid with yourself. Maybe you should visit some blogs with very relaxed rules but that are still healthy. Why are you so hard and stern with yourself?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 2:25 pm

W. I get what you are saying, but I will always have “my rules”. I think anyone that has lost an extreme amount of weight can relate. I’ve come a long way in the last few years – no longer killing myself with exercise, and I go through my different food phases where I limit various foods. Other times I’m much more relaxed about how I eat, but I will always have to watch my sugar intake and my food portions. That is simply the hand I was dealt. I do not have a fast metabolism, and I have never been one of those girls who could eat whatever she wants whenever she wants. I’d much rather be somewhat strict with myself and continue to stay at a healthy weight then let go of all my rules and weigh 240 pounds again. No thanks.

julie April 25, 2010 at 2:23 pm

girrrrl you get chur cereal on! i haven’t had cereal in SO long mainly because i know i’ll be hungry like promptly 12 minutes after i finish haha

j April 25, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I LOVE Erewhon raisin brand and Mother’s Toasted oat bran cereal (like the Life cereal of my childhood only 10X’s better)!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 2:34 pm

W.
P.S. I never said fruit was bad, just that I have to limit it due to its high fructose content, and I still don’t think sugar is good for any of us. That’s a fact.

Katie April 25, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I TOTALLY do the same thing in cereal aisles, and have cereal rules — and just DID the same thing in regards to breaking them. Am I weird in that I can roam the cereal aisle back and forth for a good ten minutes, playing little games with myself by comparing stats and asking myself theoretical questions about what I would buy IF I had self-control, or which boxes would keep me out of Cereal Monster territory?

Well, yesterday I walked down the aisle and thought, you know what, screw it. I really would like cereal, and it’s cool if it’s one of my “Sometimes Foods.” I know my self-control is craptastic, but hey, I’m working on being a lighter shade of craptastic. (um….avoid that visual…) I bought a box of Fruity Cheerios and Kashi Seven Whole Grain Honey Puffs. Stats pretty good for both…about 100 calories, AND fiber, AND protein, AND low sugar, per 3/4 cup! Yeah, so I had 5 cups last night, but it wasn’t the whole box of EITHER, and for me that is a huge accomplishment. I have to disagree with the commenter above, because anyone who has ever been unfit/unhealthy (both over AND under-weight), which I believe is a trait we share, has at least SOME food rules that they use to maintain a healthy equilibrium. Some people don’t allow themselves m&ms because they’ll eat an entire costco-sized bag in one sitting. Some people scrape the cheese off pizza and just eat the sauce/toppings because they know that otherwise they’ll devour a whole pie. For me, I usually don’t buy cereal or peanut butter because I know that after a long day, I WILL eat the entire box or jar (it’s happened before, too many times). I think that rules are great, and deviation from them every once in a while is GREAT and HEALTHY, too. I don’t think you are being rigid at all.

My favorite cereal is Clifford Crunch by Cascade Farms….it’s so hard to find, and I might actually order it online this week :-) . Tastes like Alpha-Bits!!!!! And my favorite “junk-y” cereals from my childhood are Life Cinnamon and Golden Grahams :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Katie. :) Oh, and I’m definitely going to look into some Fruity Cheerios very soon!

Sarah April 25, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I really like Kashi cereals. I think my favorites are Warm Cinnamon Heart to Heart and Cinnamon Harvest. There are times when I cut them out because I’m trying to eat “cleaner.” But this morning, when I thought I “should” have a green monster, what I really wanted was a bowl of cereal. So I had it, and I was oh-so-satisfied. I might have the same thing tomorrow morning!

Kath April 25, 2010 at 2:53 pm

So glad you broke the rules!! You are so right that sometimes there is nothing better than a bowl of cereal with milk and banana. And I LOVE Quaker Squares and this guy looks just like ‘em!

danivsthesugarmonster April 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Puffins topped w/ raw cashews = yum! I try to stay away from cereal though, I always feel hungrier after the fact.

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 25, 2010 at 3:04 pm

That cereal looks and sounds delicious!! I gave up on a lot of food rules I had, life is too short to not eat what you like. As long as you get the important stuff most of the time and stay as active as possible, that’s all that matters. I still believe in eating as many real or wholesomely made foods as possible, but now it’s all about balance, not perfection. :D

Jenn

Justine April 25, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Mother’s is a really yummy brand of cereal, but I tend to eat the sweet kind of cereal much too fast and randomly. I really like the Cascade Farms Multigrain Squares. They are really tasty. :)

hailey April 25, 2010 at 3:06 pm

this cereal is bomb…no added sugar! all protein from sprouted seeds and nuts and some raisens for sweetness!

hailey April 25, 2010 at 3:06 pm
homecookedem April 25, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Oh HEAB, this just warms my <3 to see you letting go of your rules!! It is inspirational and you are so right. Life is way too short to restrict ourselves from things we love. Even if your body doesn't respond as well to bananas or whatever, it doesn't mean you can ever have 'em, ya know. You're doing so GREAT!! :)

Julie @ Pickley Pear April 25, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I am addicted to cereal and cannot keep it in my house – I could easily eat a box in a day. Currently my favorite is Cheerios Oat Cluster Crunch. I try for the lower sugar also, sometimes it’s unavoidable. Grape Nuts is another favorite, with almond milk and banana – lovely. Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Golden Grahams are special treats, and honestly I can’t tell you the last time I bought either one. Mother’s brand looks great, I’ve never heard of it.

VeggieGirl April 25, 2010 at 3:37 pm

The cereals I eat daily:

One Lucky Duck chocolate crispies & One Lucky Duck cinnamon crispies.

VeggieGirl April 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm

My comment is awaiting moderation… is that because I included links? haha.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 4:36 pm

VeggieGirl, Yep, you’ve been approved. :)

Abbey April 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Oh HEAB’s, you truly make my heart a little lighter. It is so refreshing to read your posts and know that I am not alone with my rules, even more so to know that it is okay to relax them and eat what you really want. So glad you had your delicious cereal this morning.

I definitely have cereal rules and honestly have not eaten a bowl of cereal for probably…a year? The only one I would buy was Kashi Go Lean because the protein is phenomenal and it’s only like 140 calories/serving. But, I do eat a nanner nearly every day. They are so damn good and it’s fruit! It’s not an egg mcmuffin for crying out loud :) We all need to be a little easier on ourselves. Life is too short.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm

i have yet to find a filling cereal! i have such hunger issues with cereal.. i never feel full. but whenever i try one out it must be high in fibre.. fairly high in protein, and low low low in sugar. fat grams usually go for 3-8grams. i think hot cereal works better for me.

theprocessofhealing April 25, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Good for you, going for what you want!!!! I loooove cereal! I rarely eat it for breakfast because I can find very few cereals that keep me full but it’s sooooo good!

eatmovelove April 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I’m glad you are relaxing your “rules” HEAB. Honestly, what’s the point in eating something you don’t want?? That is ridiculous. Food should be enjoyed….and if you think a small bowl of cereal -even everyday- is going to kill you (and by you, I mean people in general)…then you are taking things far too seriously and need to invest time in something else!! Go hike a mountain, see a concert, jump out of an airplane – cereal is the last thing on one’s mind!!

As for my likes, I love Puffins – original and cinnamon, Kashi, Cheerios (Honey Nut!!), and Quaker Oatmeal Squares (also their Maple and Brown Sugar :) )…actually the Oatmeal Squares look a lot like yours – and I think the nutrition is actually better – check it out to see if your store carries them if your interested :)

kellyO April 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I prefer savory over sweet at breakfast. Scrambled eggs with avocado and salsa. If I had to pick a cereal, it would be Cap’n Crunch. Yes, nothing but sugar but man I love it…

theemptynutjar April 25, 2010 at 5:13 pm

P.S. Heather, my roommate definitely has two favorites: frosted flakes and maple & brown sugar mini wheats! Good stuff.

And I hope you relax a lot lot more. I really think you can eat these things every day. To each their own though!

Katherine: What About Summer? April 25, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I LOVE cereal. the less ingredients the better!
((+ the more home-y sounding and matronly the name, the better!))
Katherine

jentrinque April 25, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I am really enjoying seeing you relax food rules. I try to eat healthy all the time and then sometimes find myself saying things (to myself) like, “No, you can’t have oatmeal for dinner, because you need to eat more vegetables today”, even though eating an extra serving of oatmeal isn’t going to kill me if that’s what I want, you know? I have noticed that over the course of your blog and you come and go through different food phases, always trying to figure out what works for you, and I completely relate.

As far as cereal goes…I definitely have some rules. I try to just not eat cereal, because I’m not really completely happy with any milk alternative (don’t do dairy, don’t want any milk subs with carageenan in them because I’ve heard it’s not good for you, don’t want added sugars, don’t want to overdo soy…oh my gosh, the rules!!!) and because most cereals aren’t “whole foods”. So…I usually buy Shredded Wheat if I have anything, but my boyfriend buys higher sugar cereals like Cascadian Farms Honey Nut O’s, Kashi Blueberry Crunch, etc. And sometimes I eat those. And eat more :)

I’d like to practice more intuitive eating, where I just eat what sounds good. It’s a process!

Melissa S. April 25, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I love cereal far too much and enjoy far too many :) But there are certainly ones I’ve banned from my diet…errrrrr…

Jenny R. April 25, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Wow I love how you’re breaking your rules…it’s true, life is too short to not eat bananas. I can’t remember the last time I had cereal but in college I used to go through a box like every few days! I was constantly going back to the pantry for more handfuls. I loved all those granola-ish ones.

Danielle April 25, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I’m glad you’re relaxing the rules! I gotta admit, I have a cereal rule too :? I like the sugar to be less than 10 grams per serving. But then again, I’ve bought cereal with more than 10 grams so I guess it’s more of a “hang-up” than a rule.

Have you tried Puffins? The PB is my favorite :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 25, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Danielle, I love Puffins. :)

eatingbirdfood April 25, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I haven’t tried Mother’s Cinnamon Oat Crunch but Cinnamon Toast Crunch was my favorite cereal growing up so I’m sure I would LOVE it. The problem with cereal is that I always tend to go back for more- especially if I eat it dry as a snack.

I say have your banana and cereal whenever your little heart desires. Rules are meant to be broken right?

Michelle April 25, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Oh cereal is so dangerous to me!!!! My girls eat it often for weekday breakfasts but my rule is it has to have 8g. or less of sugar per serving so they eat Rice Crispies, Cheerios, Panda Puffs and Barbara’s Shredded Spoonfuls.

I made the mistake of buying some Chocolate Cheerios as a “treat” and guess who demolished most of the box? yep, moi.

Goodness, I am same way with bananas but love them so. I think I need to lighten up my “rules” too ;-)

Karina April 25, 2010 at 8:25 pm

i found a new love of cereal this weekend too!! i had been mixing cinnamon life in my yogurt but then i came across cascadian farms cinnamon crunch this weekend and it tastes just like this cereal you describe! omg i love it! especially when i put it in yogurt and let it get all soft and yummy :) its only 110 calories per cup too! try them now!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 26, 2010 at 6:44 am

Karina, I will! :)

Nellie April 25, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I love the peanut butter puffins! I like your pledge of just going with your gut…and heart! It’s great that you know what flexibility you have with your diet.

Barbara April 25, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Just when I thought you couldn’t be anymore beautiful- you post yet another ‘rule relaxing’ post aka. finding your true happiness! I can’t imagine the countless readers you have inspired with your recent posts! You seem to radiate and glow with happiness and inner peace. Has CD noticed a difference in you too? happier, more relaxed and content? Thank you and I really am loving your new attitude and posts!
Your friend,
Barbara

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 26, 2010 at 6:49 am

Barbara, You’re so sweet. CD laughs at my new cereal collection, and yesterday asked me where I was hiding the good stuff after reading my post. Hehe. ;)

Mama Pea April 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I love this post. I’m so proud of you for letting go of those rules. Your breakfast reminds me of one of my other favorite bloggies: Polly! Have a yummy day!

Natalie April 26, 2010 at 12:03 am

Absolutely obsessed with Peanut Butter Puffins!! I don’t buy them very often because 1) you can only find them in certain stores 2) they are a little expensive for my broke college self and 3) the box will be gone in the blink of any eye. They are seriously yummy!!

Kendall April 26, 2010 at 2:25 am

Re: pancake Sunday or lack thereof :) I hope this makes you laugh at least a little. So I spend a couple of hours a week volunteering at a school in a classroom of 5th and 6th graders. I’d say about a third of these kids are latino/a and are fully bilingual. There is one girl in particular who is so cute that I often work with, and she is the most soft spoken kid I’ve ever met. She reads aloud to me and I can hardly even hear her. When I try to ask questions she just smiles and nods, though I know she understands me. Anyway the other day she read the word “flapjacks” and didn’t know what it meant. Instead of giving me her regular questioning look, she grabbed the dictionary. I thought it was just so cute that she was looking up this word. So she finds the entry and the definition literally just said: “griddle cakes” to which I then got the questioning look I previously expected. I just laughed and told her it meant pancakes, which she understood. It was just a funny little 5 minutes of life which I was reminded of by your use of the word “flapjack” above, and thought I’d share. Ahh kids these days… But really? Who says griddlecake anyway? :)

p.s. my ultimate fav cereal is similar to yours above. I love the Barbaras shredded oat squares, they look similar to the Mothers. I think this kind of cereal is the best tasting and most satisfying EVER! Oh, and my main cereal rule is only buy it if it’s on sale! Cereal- especially the good stuff is so expensive! I try to say less than $5 a box for sure. Yikes! I always leave you the longest comments!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 26, 2010 at 6:48 am

Kendall, Thanks for the smile this Monday morning, and yes, why is cereal so pricey?

eatmovelove April 26, 2010 at 5:57 am

I was wondering if you eat “hot dogs” and if you or anyone had a suggestion. I know you eat veggie burgers sometimes? I eat beef and veggie burgers, but was wondering about the ‘dogs’…used to usually have either tofu or veggie dogs – I think Yves-, but I don’t know if there’s something else or a good brand??

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 26, 2010 at 6:46 am

Eatmovelove, I currently have a stash of Trader Joe’s 100% turkey dogs in my fridge. Nitrate free and oh so good. I skip the veggie dogs due to the soy content.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 26, 2010 at 6:13 am

I always scrutinize cereals! I have to make sure the calories per serving are reasonable, and that the serving size isn’t measly… the fat is average and the protein & fiber are high, and the sugar is NOT high!

I love Kashi Honey, Almond, Flax, Nature’s Path Optimum Power and Raisin Bran!! Or my own home made granolas :)

xo
K

eatmovelove April 26, 2010 at 6:59 am

Thanks HEAB…no TJ’s here though :( …can I order haha :) I need to move…hiring in the states?

Amanda April 26, 2010 at 7:17 am

So nice that you’re relaxing your rules and enjoying what you want! I have found that allowing myself ANY food without restriction really allows me to satisfy cravings with just a little bit of it … there is no temptation to binge, because I am allowed to eat it! My favorite cereal these days is Kashi GoLean Crunch … it is sooo delicious with milk, as a yogurt topping, or dry! It’s about 200 cals for a cup, but has a lot of fiber and is really satisfying. Have a great week :)

Gena April 26, 2010 at 7:39 am

First of all, LOVE your last post. We all have things we want desperately now and again. In my case, it’s usually a doppio espresso :-)

Second, love the breakfast switch up! Did you know I rarely ever touch dry cereal? Weird, childhood aversion. I ate hot cereals every day growing up, but wouldn’t touch cold. I’m not a crunch person, and I didn’t like milk. Now, I do dehydrated buckwheat now and then with almond milk, but for the most part, the childhood aversion is still intense. I like seeing scrumptious pics, though, and yours are quite scrumptious!

Katie April 26, 2010 at 7:51 am

I LOVE your blog! :) I added you to my blogroll woo hoo! :) My favorite cereal is Peanut Butter Pows from whole foods…I just use them as a topping on my peanut butter protein shakes :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 26, 2010 at 7:52 am

Thanks Katie. Never tried the Peanut Butter Pows, but adding it to my cereal to-try list which is so very long now. Hehe. :)

Kimberly April 26, 2010 at 8:05 am

Loved this post Heather :) I have been trying to relax a little more with my eating as well and your post have been helpful! I find that I get a little(okay-a lot) freaked about gaining weight when I relax, but I HAVE to do this! I don’t want to live life always worrying about everything I put in my mouth!

I try not to eat cereal too often because I have had times that I literally lived off of the stuff and nothing else=bad nutrition! BUT, I had my hubby pick up a box of gluten free gorilla munch yesterday and had it for dinner last night. Gluten free cereals kind of annoy me though, because most of them are more kiddie types of cereals–unless I want to pay like $8 for gluten free granola–gee whiz!! We don’t have TJ’s or Whole Foods around here which really stinks.

Look forward to more of your inspiration :)
XOXO

Heather April 26, 2010 at 8:46 am

i know it’s weird, but i don’t really like cereal! so i make my own granola, and the great thing is i don’t have to scrutinize the label b/c i know EXACTLY what’s in there :)

mkluesner April 26, 2010 at 8:54 am

This post was great! Rules are meant to be broken. Congrats to you!

I have my own rules too, and sometimes I find myself more disappointed in not allowing myself certain foods because of their labels, then I would if I just ate the darn food. It’s important to eat healthy, but it’s also important to listen to your body. If your body wants cereal, then you should eat cereal.

Thanks for sharing this post!

runnerforever April 26, 2010 at 9:12 am

I love cascadian farms cinnamon crunch and lots of the kashi cereals, but I am also a sucker for the sugary cereals like cookie crisp :-)

Shawna @ Balancing Me April 26, 2010 at 9:50 am

Honestly, I don’t really eat cereal all that often…because I CAN’T STOP EATING IT!!! When I measure out an actual serving size, it depresses me, and I overflow the measuring cup to the point where I’m probably getting 2 servings. I think whatever falls over the edge doesn’t count. And because I don’t want to waste milk, I need to add another shake of the box to give me something to eat with the milk. And after all that, I crave toast with peanut butter or an english muffin (or two) with real butter. And then I feel guilty.

So, yeah, I don’t eat cereal often.

But, if I do eat cereal, I love frosted shredded wheat. But who really eats just 4 biscuits? Come on!

Graze With Me April 26, 2010 at 10:52 am

I used to be such a nutcase when it came to cereals and granola. But lately I’ve been buying more and more of it and shockingly, I’m not eating them all the time like I thought I would. It’s just really nice to know it’s there and I can eat it whenever I want…cereal doesn’t go bad very quickly.

My next box to conquer will be the Quaker oatmeal squares that I have refused to buy ever since I ate the whole box in two days. Time for a challenge!

Alisa April 26, 2010 at 11:31 am

I haven’t tried Mother’s, but always loved Quaker Oat Squares – so good!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) April 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I support you dropping the cereal rules. Not like you’re eating it 3 meals a day or anything! And I also totally agree with the cereal + banana combo–it’s stellar. And better combined than cereal + a less starchy fruit anyway, if one was following food combining at all. I’m (happily) stuck in a breakfast rut right now that I’m loving: I do an overnight combination of either kamut puffs or oats/muesli with chia, bee pollen, with rice milk or coconut kefir as the “marinade”. Once I’m at the office I stir in a sliced banana and it is just the perfect bowl of mush for me, and with no added sugar, for that matter! I would say for cereal labels that’s the one thing I look at most critically, added sugars. I’d rather my cereal have less sugar than my desserts. :)

Lara (Thinspired) April 26, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Heabs, I am the opposite to you on this one: I NEED some cereal rules. Well, I like to think I buy pretty healthy cereal, I just need some regulation as far as HOW MUCH I eat. I am just a bottomless pit with it :(

If I had my way with no cereal rules what-so-ever, here are my favorites: Raisin Bran, Kashi Go Lean Crunch Honey Almond Flax (longest cereal name ever), and these horrible, pure-sugar cereal that I haven’t bought in about 5 years called Honey O’s. Oh my gosh. I can’t even think about it or I’ll go bananas.

Marissa April 26, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I haven’t yet taken the plunge and bought a whole box of cereal, though the thought has tempted me. I worry less about the weight gain and more about the health issue with grains…but it isn’t like I don’t go get sushi. I think I just don’t want to have an ENTIRE box of cereal around the house because then I KNOW at some point, I will eat it ALL. That said…I might have a bowl of Matt’s puffins sometime :-)

Instead I have been eating Lydia’s Organics grainless apple cereal. I cannot do it all the time though because it is SO. EXPENSIVE.

Becs in Britain April 27, 2010 at 3:07 am

I’m soooo happy that I’m not the only person who scrutinises nutrition labels before adding any new grocery item to the trolley. I swear my boyfriend thinks I’m a bit booloo, but I don’t care – it makes me feel like I’m making the right choices :) I totally avoid cereal though! I have to stick to a low gi diet to keep my insulin in check, so I tend to buy a few bags of different grains at my local health food shop and mix up my own muesli – yum! Then you can add extras in each morning depending on what you fancy that day – some days may be fresh fruit, or dried, nuts, seeds, yogurt, milk, cocoa, cinnamon, nut butter! The possibilities are endless :)

Bekah May 2, 2010 at 5:04 am

These remind me of Barbara’s Bakery Shredded Oats. Ah cereal, good stuff.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 3, 2010 at 11:11 am

Oh gosh, I love Quaker Oatmeal Squares (aka crack) but I can’t keep it in the house. It only lasts a few days when I do! I think it has 10 grams of sugar per serving, but if I could stick to just one serving it wouldn’t be a problem.

I definitely read the labels like crazy. I also do it for my husband because he won’t for himself. :)