Grilled Cheese Please

by HEAB on May 1, 2010

Edited to Add: The winner of the iPad was Tweeter Matthew Baldwin.

Happy Saturday to you all. It’s monsoon season here in Nashville, and all I feel like doing is curling up in bed with a good book. So, I think I will. :)

However, I had to eat lunch first since my stomach started growling around 11:30 this morning. I decided on something I hadn’t had in a long time, but I HEABified it of course. It’s been a while since I sat down to a grilled cheese sandwich. Even back in my dairy days, it’s not something I ate much since losing weight. However, with my body seeming to do okay with goat milk cheese, I decided today was the day.

I used this cheese…

and placed it in-between 2 slices of Trader Joe’s 7 grain sprouted bread with some roasted tempeh and tomato slices. Plopped it on a warm George Foreman grill for about 4 minutes, and she was done!

Alongside my sandwich, I had some kale chips with a drizzle of Annie’s honey mustard vinaigrette.

Perfect. I’ll be back shortly to announce the winner of the iPad, but for now, my down comforter and a good book are calling. :)

Holly May 1, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Looks delish, Heath!

Does tempeh not bother you? I know you can’t handle soy, and I have come to the conclusion that I cannot handle tofu or soy milk either. I’ve never tried tempeh, though.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 1, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Holly, Nope, fermented soy products don’t bother me. Something about the bacteria cultures making the proteins easier to digest. I can’t do soy milk, tofu, or anything containing soy protein isolate without totally stinking up a room. However, tempeh and miso don’t seem to bother me at all.

BroccoliHut May 1, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Looks like a pretty awesome sandwich to me–way to pump up the protein with the tempeh addition:)

Anna May 1, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Oooh…grilled cheese + tempeh = brilliant. Yum!

Watcha reading?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 1, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Anna, Not sure. I have 3 books sitting on my nightstand. I think I’ll start with Away by Amy Bloom. Ever read it?

Beth May 1, 2010 at 12:50 pm

That sounds delicious! I almost bought that goat cheese last time I was at Trader Joe’s but then I put it back… next time!

eatmovelove May 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Oh, I love the toasted bread! Nice colors. I have tried Tempeh before sauteed in oil – it was actually pretty good…but there were different flavors to choose from – a Quinoa, a Sea Vegetable one (?) and some other 3-grain one…I was told to try the 3-grain with soy because the others were different depending on taste…?? …can you not just get it plain LOL?! seriously though!

Ultimately, I choose chicken though ;)

LOVE the sound of your day! The sun was out this morning…but now it looks like a downpour is coming…

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 1, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Eatmovelove, I always buy the 3 grain just b/c that’s all Trader Joe’s has, and it’s much cheaper than Whole Foods. Not so sure about sea vegetable flavored tempeh. I think I’d rather just eat fish. :)

Evan Thomas May 1, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Yum! I’ll need to try that cheese over the Summer, and some new brands of gluten free bread. My newest cheesy obsession is daiya, which is dairy and soy free and delicious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 1, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Evan, Off to google daiya. :)

Erica May 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Reading in bed sounds WONDERFUL. Hope you enjoy every minute :) mmm and what a tasty sammy. I need to get to WFs to find goat cheese slices like that. Happy Saturday Heather!

Carbzilla May 1, 2010 at 1:22 pm

That looks like an AMAZING lunch! Happy happy weekend!

Janet (Pantry Bites) May 1, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Love grilled cheese sandwiches- plain with just melted yellow American style cheese and ketchup of course.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 1, 2010 at 1:45 pm

This is a post I could not eat some of it: gluten (Bread), tempeh (soy)..maybe like 1 bite but that’s about it, and the cheese (dairy).
But I would Happily!!! help you with your kale chips and I would love to curl up with a book in bed today :) ha! motherhood and housework beckons. I flew to San Diego for a day trip yesterday and am behind on my duties. As i comment on blogs :)

xoox

homecookedem May 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Oh wow, that sandwich looks delicious!!

Danielle May 1, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever heard/seen someone put tempeh and cheese together! But if you eat dairy…then why not?

I’m sorry it’s monsoon season over there…maybe it will drift over here?? (I just realized we don’t live too far from each other!)

runnerforever May 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm

That is not any old grilled cheese. I am never sure what to add time mine and this looks fantastic!

Run Sarah May 1, 2010 at 2:38 pm

What an amazing combo – cant wait to try that!

Stephen May 1, 2010 at 3:15 pm

This looks awesome, I’ve been craving a yummy grilled cheese recently and this post only makes me want one more

jaclyn@todayslady May 1, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Have fun relaxing!!! That grilled cheese looks so yummy! I love how you put tempeh in it

The Fit Collegiate May 1, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Ahh, this weather makes me so lethargic! I suppose it makes it a lot easier to sit in a library and study for finals…

Yummy sandwich!

jentrinque May 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I love the HEABified versions of stuff! That sandwich does look delicious.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Yummy.. I haven’t had a grilled cheese in AGES!

Katie May 1, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I spent part of my morning on the couch with a book. Great day for it!

hstrelich1 May 1, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Hello , I just have a question for you. What is tempeh? I’ve seen in at Whole Foods and on blogs but can’t really grasp what it is or what it tastes like/ How is it prepared? By the way love the bloggy :) (haileyshealthadventures.blogspot.com)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 10:14 am

hstrelich1 Tempeh is a fermented soybean cake…doesn’t that sound appetizing? Hehe. No, but seriously, I love tempeh, and b/c it’s fermented, the proteins are easier to digest. I can’t handle most soy foods, but tempeh doesn’t bother me at all, and I love it’s chewy texture and nutty taste. You can prepare it just as you would chicken or tofu – roast it, grill it, bake it, steam it, stir-fry it, etc. Sometimes, I’ll even eat it straight from the package, but my favorite way to prepare tempeh is to marinate it and then roast it in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. I love it!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 1, 2010 at 6:43 pm

looks amazing! delicious ingredients. dutch cheese- sounds fantastic!! and filling too :)

Ariffa May 1, 2010 at 9:57 pm

well that just looks delicious.
I need to get me some goats-dairy, maybe I’ll spend less time in the fetal position, which tends to happen when I eat cows dairy. which is often.
have fun chillinnn =))

ashley May 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Yowza! That is my kind of lunch!! The samich would have been good with some sun-dried tomatoes too…mmmm

Alisa May 1, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Heather that looks like some serious comfort food! Glad it’s working for you.

Side question, I was thinking of you today when I posted a beet smoothie recipe … the beet added some nice flavor and sweetness, and I was wondering if beets are a problem when you seem to be carb-sensitive, or if they are a go.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 10:15 am

Alisa, I love my beets! Still eat my carbs, including starchy veggies and fruit. Just really trying to stay away from straight-up sugar these days. :)

Mimi May 1, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Holy crap, I made almost the exact same thing yesterday! I just added onions and used chevre goat cheese instead of the slices. Craaazy!

But hurrah for spreading the goat love!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 2, 2010 at 7:15 am

I love goat cheese, sounds so tasty grilled up!

eatmovelove May 2, 2010 at 7:52 am

Congrats to Matthew!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 2, 2010 at 9:24 am

That grilled cheese looks fabulous. I love kicking grilled cheese up several notches, there’s so many ways to have it! :D

Jenn

Kellie May 2, 2010 at 10:47 am

Grilled cheese sandwiches are the best food ever. Always brings me back to my childhood.

Whitney of Whit's Kitch May 2, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Yummmm I LOVE Goat cheese. This would be awesome w/ some tomato soup — I think I’ll add some bacon or ham in the sandwhich too :-)

Leah June 2, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Hi. Once again, another delcious food post! Your creative ideas are so inspiring! So, Im really intrigued by this goat cheese & goat milk yogurt Im reading about in your blog!

Im one of the lucky ones & rarely have gastro issues from cows milk (Ive had the occasional IBS from Hidden Valley Ranch, ice cream & milk, but its rare.)

So Im curious does goats milk products have nutritional benefits over cow milk products? Do the goats milk products taste better? My picky husband will think Ive flipped my rocker if I by goats milk cheese slices or goats milk yogurt- but Im really interested to learn more about this!? Thanks

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Leah, Yes, from what I’ve read, goat’s milk is easier to digest. I have problems with whey and casein, the proteins found in dairy products, but I seem to do okay with goat products. I love the cheese and the yogurt. However, I am not a fan of goat milk, at least not the pasteurized stuff they sell in the grocery stores. It tastes blech – too goaty. However, I used to buy raw goat milk from a local farm, and it was sweet and delicious! Here is a helpful article regarding goat’s milk vs cow’s milk: http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/milk