Floating Away

by HEAB on May 2, 2010

Thanks to everyone who has contacted me regarding the flooding in Nashville. Although I was up most of the night with a nervous pup, we are fine. Radley does not like bad weather, and I gave in and let both dogs sleep in the bed last night. Needless to say, it was not my most restful night of sleep, but after everyone settled down around 4 AM, I was able to sleep until about 9. I can’t remember the last time I slept that late!

My pancake hiatus is still going strong, and when I awoke, I put a baked potato in the oven. Not sure what I would eat with it, but a warm baked potato just sounded really good. After showering and replacing 5 light bulbs around the house…have I ever told you about my weird thing with light bulbs? They constantly go out in my presence. I’m serious – it used to drive my mom crazy, and now it drives me crazy as I am constantly changing light bulbs. You should see the stockpile of bulbs I keep on hand. OK, where was I? Oh yes, breakfast…

I finally sat down to eat around 10:30, and along side my potato, I made an omelet with 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, and 1 ounce of Trader Joe’s shredded goat milk cheese. I filled my potato with sour cream and lots of pepper. Oh my gosh, how I love cheese-filled omelets as well as baked potatoes. Truth be told, I stopped buying white potatoes a long time ago. No white potatoes was one of my many rules. Not anymore! :)

Uh-oh, gotta go. CD just informed me something is leaking. That can’t be good. :(

Beth May 2, 2010 at 10:21 am

Potatoes are so good with breakfast… I just had sweet potato hash with a poached egg on top… delicious!

Lara (Thinspired) May 2, 2010 at 10:42 am

I had no idea about the flooding in Nashville, I am so out of the loop! I am glad you are ok…wish you could come to California and hang with us!
Brekkie looks oddly delicious…your combinations always impress me. This morning I had your protein pancakes :) They were yummy with strawberries & almond butter. I am writing a post on it now :)
Matthew says hi ;)

Justine May 2, 2010 at 11:00 am

I love the idea of a baked potato for breakfast!
(The other day my friend randomly bought some mustard and upon closer inspection I saw that it was the Beaver Sweet Hot mustard and I was so jazzed to try it! I love it. Thank you for the tip off. )

I hope everything is OK in Nashville! You’re in my prayers this week, Miss. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 11:03 am

Thanks Justine. :)

operagirlcooks May 2, 2010 at 11:17 am

Yummmm this looks delicious and filling! What a creatively satisfying way to start your morning.

Evan Thomas May 2, 2010 at 11:23 am

Mmmm I’ve always wanted to try a sweet potato at breakfsat, I just don’t have the patience

Holly May 2, 2010 at 11:25 am

Water, water, everywhere and not a drop to drink . . .

What is this with water problems?! A pipe burst in Boston and now we have to boil all of our water indefinitely.

I spent all morning grocery shopping at TJ’s and WF for food to take home (as there are really no health food stores at home). Do you know neither carries shredded or sliced goat cheese? Closest thing TJ’s had was crumbled. Boo!

Breakfast looked yummy! Stay dry!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 11:38 am

Holly, Hadn’t heard about the burst pipe. What a mess!

Next time you’re at that particular Trader Joe’s, put in a request for the shredded goat cheese and goat cheese slices. They’re pretty good about listening to their customers. :)

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover May 2, 2010 at 11:26 am

I love your breakfast creations, Heather!
I mean, baked potato for breakfast?!
LOOVE. ;)
Have a great Sunday, love!
Brazilian XOXO┬┤s,
Gabriela

Kellie May 2, 2010 at 11:27 am

I love sweet potatos for breakfast. I microwave them, and mush them up over eggs, or on pancakes. So good.

Heather May 2, 2010 at 11:32 am

Breakfast looks great! I was craving savory at bfast the other day and had some roasted brussel sprouts with my cream of rice :)

Oh : to Evan…..after you clean the potato, poke a bunch of holes in it with a fork and put it in the microwave for about 4 minutes (depending on the size).
Quick fix if you don’t wanna wait an hour for a baked tater :)

Katherine: What About Summer? May 2, 2010 at 11:35 am

“something is leaking” is so vague… I hope it’s not one of many bad options…

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 11:40 am

Katherine, Both our fireplaces are leaking. Not fun, but we’re much better off compares to many Nashvillians right now!

Megan May 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

I’m super impressed and inspired by your decision to let go of some of your “food rules”. I love your unique voice in the blog world, and your open admissions make me re-think some of my own rules.

Keep it up! :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 11:46 am

Thanks Megan. Very encouraging comment. :)

~liz May 2, 2010 at 11:58 am

Makes me want to run to tj and get some goat cheese

Christin L. May 2, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I have the same problem with light bulbs!! Electronic appliances also have a tendency to wig out when I’m around. Someone once told me it was because I emitted kinetic energy because I have a healing personality… sounds good to me, so I like to think of it that way!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Christin, Good to know I’m not the only one, and I like the kinetic energy theory. :)

Veggiesmack May 2, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Yum! I love potatoes, and always lose weight when I eat them, so long as I keep the toppings healthy!

runnerforever May 2, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Aw, what a good doggy mom you are! Hope you get through this flood alright!

Carbzilla May 2, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Yikes! I also didn’t know about the flooding – I’ve been so busy worrying about the oil slick and poor Louisiana! Maybe I’d better pay closer attn to the weather channel! Take care!

Anna May 2, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I’m glad y’all are okay!!! Flooding can be really scary :-(

Hope that leak is a small one!

The Fit Collegiate May 2, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Apparently some of the older Vanderbilt dorms have flooded, ruining all of the people’s belongings. Yikes, this is a disaster.

Stay dry!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm

You too Anna!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 2, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Heather…the bad thing about reading food blogs and the internet is that I read a lot about everyone’s fave nut butter or latest TJ’s find…but I am so outta the loop on natl and current events and I am so sorry to hear about the floods. I (sheepishly!) had no idea but thank goodness you’re ok!!!!!!

Baked tater with sour cream looks so good (and good for you for letting up on “the rules”)!

Stay dry and safe!
xo

eatmovelove May 2, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Hope the flooding isn’t too serious…? Gosh – it’s very scary that many of life’s misfortunates are a result of natural occurences like flooding and hurricanes, etc.
I love that you always seem to just go with what your feeling for eating…I need to work on that. My signals are all mixed up. But I also think it’s good not to think about it too much – and just eat…and I always do ;) …that’s a different story of course.
Sounds like another good day to stay in and read a book for you?? !

clairedille May 2, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I hope everything is okay flood-wise and there were no real serious leaks! I also have that weird light bulb presence! One went out in the laundry room the other day and then the next morning, one went out next to me at work! It is too weird.

The bfast sounds great!

Maggie May 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Ahh I didn’t even hear about the flooding! Glad you’re okay. White potatoes can be so delicious. I like to slice them with a mandoline and bake them, then douse them in ketchup. YUM.

I don’t know about light bulbs, but I have heard that some people run down watch batteries more quickly than others. It has to do with… I don’t know actually. I want to say electromagnetism but that sounds kind of crazy.

julie May 2, 2010 at 3:50 pm

you can borrow my canoe if you want girlfran!

haha now your mention of trader joes and cheese and goat makes me think that somehow goat cheese must make an appearance tonight..

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 2, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Seriously let me know if I can send you something :)

I’m the same way with light bulbs! They always go out when I turn on the switch!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Thanks sweet Mara. We both must have good energy. :)

BroccoliHut May 2, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Mmm a sweet potato breakfast sounds pretty amazing, actually. Great idea!

Katie May 2, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I had no idea about the flooding! Glad to hear you haven’t been (too) affected by it. Stay dry!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 2, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I looked for the shredded goat cheese at TJs today and couldn’t find it at mine. Is it with the other shredded cheeses?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Jessica, Yes, at least it is at my TJ’s. I’ve had other people tell me they can’t find it either. My advice is to request that your Trader Joe’s start carrying it. They are always really good about listening to what their customers want.

Samantha May 2, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Hope the leak was nothing major and you guys dry out soon.

Light bulbs, interesting!

Your omelette is so pretty, mine are never that nice!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Sam, Just a leaky fireplace…well two actually, but not too bad. The rain has finally stopped, and so we’re A-okay. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I am so glad you guys are ok! Eggs are the perfect accompaniment to baked potatoes. I always put ketchup on my baked potatoes with eggs! I say that was a great way to start the day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 2, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Sarena, I was debating between the sour cream and ketchup. Sour cream won this morning, but I grew up covering my eggs in ketchup. :)

theprocessofhealing May 2, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Love me some white potatoes now and again, delicious!!!
SO FUNNY about the lightbulbs! Wow!

Pure2Raw Twins May 2, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Glad that you are not floating away and that everyone is doing good :)

Food-Fitness-FreshAir May 2, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I don’t usually eat potatoes for breakfast unless they are in the form of potato pancakes or fried potato circles…but I kind of like the baked potato idea! I’ll have to try this tomorrow.

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 3, 2010 at 12:30 am

I like your rule loosening. Power to you. You are so inspiring for the rest of us with your blog and your healthy choices, and being willing to be flexible with yourself is so great to see too. Lots I can learn from you!

Gena May 3, 2010 at 5:30 am

So happy you guys are doing well amidst the flooding. And in the meantime, it really delights me to see that you’re easing up on some of the food rules. I think that all of your “rules” were relatively sensible ones, in that they weren’t overtly self-destructive like food rules can be. But the point is that you’re getting more comfy with spontaneity and with variety, which is nice!!

Sagan May 3, 2010 at 6:58 am

Eek, hoping that the leaking issue got fixed!

I’ve taken to having steamed vegetables for breakfast. It’s nice to have something not traditionally thought of as “breakfast food” first thing in the morning.

Scott in Ohio May 3, 2010 at 7:03 am

Glad to hear you all are doing ok.

You were in our thoughts all weekend.

The pictures we’re seeing on the news are just incredible.

Susan May 3, 2010 at 7:17 am

White potatoes are incredibly good for you! Packed with potassium to keep those electrolytes in check ;) I always buy the little red potatoes, but you’ve totally got me craving an old-school baked one now.

Word of Nashville flooding hasn’t made it’s way up to my corner in Canada yet – hope you and everyone you know there is making out alright! Flooding is really common where I am, and it’s a MESS when it hits.

Marina May 3, 2010 at 8:05 am

I hope everything is ok!
Your breakfast looks amazing, even though I’m not very fond of potatoes :) But I would definitely try your breakfast :) )

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 3, 2010 at 8:22 am

leaking! ahh not good!! haha.

lol this is the first time im hearing about ur crazy lightbulbs.. o man.. changing them is not the funnest task thats for sure!

great pic btw! looks UHMAZINNN <3

Sarah May 3, 2010 at 8:45 am

i love that you are letting go of your rules but still eating well and healthy. thats how it should be.
hope nothing gets wet!

Ilana May 3, 2010 at 8:52 am

“No white potatoes” has been a rule around here for me for a while too – but lately I’ve just been craving some silky smooth white mashed taters, french fries, plain starchy goodness. Thanks for the inspiration and reminding me it’s okay to break rules :)

I have that issue with lightbulbs, too, and just about all things technology. If I am given a technological device, chances are it’s going to spontaneously combust in my hands. Which reminds me that my Blackberry ate my contact list. ugghhh off to deal with annoying technology.

charlotte May 3, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I keep thinking potatoes have to be good for you as they come from the ground. The GI isn’t everything, right? Your brekkie looks delish. I really want to try that shredded goat’s milk cheese now!

Erica May 4, 2010 at 7:35 am

oh goodness! I’m so glad to hear you’re ok. We talked to Josh’s parents last night and they were telling us about the flooding in some of their friends houses :( . Go away water! Stay safe! What a tasty meal. Potatoes and eggs- can’t go wrong :)