An Abundance of Cherries

by HEAB on May 3, 2010

Last week, I received some free samples from Cheribundi, including bottles of Tru Cherry, Skinny Cherry, and Whey Cherry.

Thanks Cheribundi! I rarely drink my juice straight up as it’s too much sugar for me, but I’m all for using a little juice here and there for added flavor and extra vitamins. However, I did try a few sips of both the Tru Cherry and the Skinny Cherry juices. The Tru Cherry was my favorite! This stuff is NOT from concentrate, and it requires 50 cherries to fill one bottle. It was tart and refreshing. The Skinny Cherry is sweetened with stevia. It tasted sweeter and is lower in calories. Since I try and stay away from whey protein (allergic), I let my brother try the Whey Cherry after his workout. He said it was tart with a hint of sweet, and the protein component added a bit of creaminess. Delicious!

So, after a few taste tests, it was time to put this cherry juice to some use. I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned it on the blog, but I LOVE low-cal diet Cherry Limeades from Sonic. I do, diet soda aspartame and all. So, when my juice arrived, I knew right away what I would make…

First up, I filled up a glass with Trader Joe’s sparkling lime water and stirred in 2 ounces of Skinny Cherry juice…my first taste of stevia since giving it up for Lent!

I then added the juice of half a lime and some crushed ice. Yum – so refreshing and good. HEABified Cherry Limeade = success!

Then, the other day for breakfast, I decided I wanted some cherry yogurt…

8 Tru Cherry cubes went into the Vita-Mix along with 6 ounces of plain goat milk yogurt

Once my yogurt was well blended, I topped it with a crumbled Cherry Pie Larabar. It was the perfect combo of tart and sweet flavors.

Thanks again Cheribundi! Your juice is great, and I love that the Tru Cherry is nothing but cherries. Keep up the good work and thanks for supplying me with lots of antioxidants this past week. :)

You can click here to see if Cheribundi is available at a store near you.

What about you? Are you a juice drinker? Apple juice was my favorite growing up, but now I just try and stick with whole apples. Love my Honeycrisps and Granny Smiths!

Beth May 3, 2010 at 8:56 am

There’s no such thing as too many cherries!! I loove them. I don’t really drink juice straight up either, but like you I like to use it to add some flavor to things. I like to put a splash of juice in my water or club soda on occasion, or put it into batters for a little extra flavor, but I’m not a big juice drinker.

theprocessofhealing May 3, 2010 at 9:03 am

Wow, that sounds like an amazing product!
I don’t really drink juice anymore but I used to love me some apple juice and grape juice! Although I do use POM juice in smoothies, mocktales, and cooking; it’s AMAZING with kale!

eatmovelove May 3, 2010 at 9:05 am

That looks good with the bar crumbled in it. I love OJ.

Claire May 3, 2010 at 9:11 am

I love juice!!orange,apple, veggie,etc.I just dont drink it because of the sugar.I need to look
into Cheribundi:-)cc

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 3, 2010 at 9:14 am

i drank a lot of juice when i was younger.. but i find i never drink much of it at all! green juices more so i think.

ahh i love cherries theyre my fav fruit- and i look forward to them all year for when they come in season.

xoxo<3

maggie May 3, 2010 at 9:14 am

Oh my favorite is dried bing cherries. If you haven’t tried them before they are delicious especially with any type of winter squash puree!!

xoxo
Maggie

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 3, 2010 at 9:16 am

Maggie, I love dried bing cherries – especially the ones with no added sugar. They are CD’s favorite!

Evan Thomas May 3, 2010 at 9:46 am

I’m not a juice drinker, but I love juice mixed with kombucha. And I LOVE the idea of mizing it with sparkling water

Jessica @ How Sweet May 3, 2010 at 9:46 am

That is an awesome idea. I also love cherry limemade. I love all things cherry!

Heather May 3, 2010 at 9:47 am

holy yum! i would totally mix that with some club soda or soemthing for a mocktail…sounds like a fabulous juice :)

runnerforever May 3, 2010 at 9:51 am

I am not a huge fan of juice, I would rather eat my fruit :-)

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries May 3, 2010 at 11:02 am

Love the idea of putting a larabar on top of yogurt! Hooray for cherries!

Lara (Thinspired) May 3, 2010 at 11:14 am

Heabie! We must have been in tune this weekend–that is EXACTLY how I chose to mix my Cheribundi samples, too! Last night I made “Mocktails” with the TJ’s lime spritzer water, lime, and ice :) Great minds, great minds….

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 3, 2010 at 11:25 am

Lara, Why do you live so far away?!? I think if we lived in the same city, we’d be the best of friends. No, I KNOW we would. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 3, 2010 at 11:25 am

I don’t do juice anymore, but growing up, cranberry was my favorite…probably from all of the urinary tract infections I used to always get. Diet Cherry limeade brings back memories for me. I had my first one with my sister-in-law when I first met my husband. I loved them…I have not had one in years. I will look for that juice.

Veggiesmack May 3, 2010 at 11:31 am

I wished I liked cherries, but I just don’t like the flavor. Cherry lime-aides are the only thing cherry I like.

malpaz May 3, 2010 at 11:36 am

a very merry cherry day i would say! you have Sonic’s??? you must be in the south as well! i use to drink the cherry limeade all the time too but i gave up soda….this may be a good idea for me then!!!!!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 3, 2010 at 12:15 pm

malpaz, I’m in Nashville…or what’s left of it. The whole city flooded over the weekend, but thankfully CD and I came out okay. No flood damage to our house. Very grateful!

Jen Trinque May 3, 2010 at 11:44 am

That drink looks so delicious and refreshing! I am not much of a juice drinker, either, though this weekend I bought an 8 oz serving of organic apple juice and mixed 2 oz with sparkling water in a wine glass for a yummy mocktail. I had two of those one night, two the next night. Juice straight up is usually too strong for me!

Kelly May 3, 2010 at 11:55 am

I LOVE cherries! They are definitely one of my favorite summer time fruits!!! :)

Julie @ Pickley Pear May 3, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Cherry flavored anything is my favorite! I don’t drink much juice though – i’d rather eat the cals :) I bet the whey cherry is great.

operagirlcooks May 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Looks so refreshing!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm

That juice sounds awesome! I’m so into cherry flavored everything lately. In fact, I just bought a bottle of 100% pure cherry juice to use in mixes and smoothies. So, yeah, I drink juice straight up! :D

Jenn

Carbzilla May 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Yummy! I love cherries – cherry pie is my most favorite thing in the whole world.

I’ve never had a Sonic cherry limeade but sounds delish!

Glad you guys are safe!

julie May 3, 2010 at 1:18 pm

mmmm not a juice drinker but definitely a juice from the apple running down my face kind of slurper haha. awesome review girl!

Rachael May 3, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Love the cherry limeade. I’ve never actually pulled into a Sonic, but for some reason (I blame effective advertising) I cannot drive past one without a sudden tangy craving for limeade. You’ve given me an idea as to how to fulfill it…
The rain on the other side of the mountains (WNC) seems to have subsided too. My basement may be flooded, but I’ve got some happy plants and chickens!

Ilana May 3, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Cherry limeade! Genius. I thought I was the only person that didnt like juice straight up, but checking out the comments, clearly I’m not alone!

Mandiee May 3, 2010 at 1:33 pm

yummy! i’m a water drinker through and through but your cherry limeaid actually sounds really delicious. coincidentally, i used frozen cherries in my oatmeal this morning. yum. i can’t wait until cherry season rolls around! it goes full-swing here in michigan (we even have our own festival devoted to it!)

have a lovely day!
xox

Run Sarah May 3, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Love the ice cube and yogurt blending idea! I drank way too much juice as a kid and teen but quit in uni when trying to lose weight.

Ana May 3, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I am not big on juices either, I much prefer to eat the whole fruits!!
Your yogurt + cherry cubes looks delish!

Rosie May 3, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Cherry juice? That sounds delish! If they sold it around I would totally buy! I usually don’t get juice though :(

kalli@fitandfortysomething May 3, 2010 at 1:57 pm

oh these look so good! i love how you made the ice cubes with it too :)

Danielle May 3, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I’m not a big juice-drinker either. I sort of compare juice vs. fruit to white vs. wheat flour…it’s fine in moderation ;)

When I was growing up, I loved sunny delight (was that not a juice? lol)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 3, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I just posted about Cheribundi too, and once I saw you were getting your cherry groove on, I linked to you. So glad to hear you’re safe and dry! I was worried about y’all and praying for you. Do you like that y’all? I’m channeling my inner nashville there :)

xoxo

Lola May 3, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Cherry limeade from Sonic! OMG I haven’t had that in such a long time!!
I rarely drink juice, and when I do drink it, it’s a mix of beet, celery, carrot, cucumber and orange juice! But I’d love to taste cherry juice :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 3, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I love how you created your pay cherry yogurt, genious! I don’t drink juice very often but sometimes a nice cold glass of OJ hits the spot.

Marissa May 3, 2010 at 3:03 pm

The only juice I drink with any regularity is pomegranate juice because it isn’t easy to get poms year round, and well…it’s messy and time consuming to de-seed them. Otherwise the sugar is way too high and lacking in fiber to cut it, so i stay away.

LOVE apples. I just had some raw granola with a granny smith this morning!

Johanna B May 3, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Did you get the leak fixed? I dreamed about you and the floods in Nashville last night. Amazing. Glad you’re ok.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 3, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Johanna, Thanks for thinking of us…while awake and asleep. :)

Yes, we had a minor leak in our fireplace. No big deal at all – maybe 1 inch of water collected in our bucket. We’re very fortunate compared to many others around here!

Mama Pea May 3, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Mmm….that would be fabulous in a chocolate smoothie too! I’m a sucker for chocolate covered cherries. My grammy would always have a box of the liquidy centered kinds at her house, and I’d eat one or eight every time I went over there. :)

BroccoliHut May 3, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I’m not much of a juice drinker, as I prefer to chomp on the whole fruit. Cherry juice is enough of a novelty though that I might just have to try it once!

thewhatkateateblog May 3, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I used to stay away from juice because I was hesitant of drinking my calories, but I have been enjoying it more lately since I do love it!

Katie May 3, 2010 at 5:07 pm

The cherry lime combo is delicious! I actually made a chocolate cherry lime smoothie a while back. Fantastic! http://makingfoodandotherstuff.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/busy-bee/

I’m on an ice cream kick lately, and may have to add some frozen cherries to my next batch…with chocolate of course!

Katherine: What About Summer? May 3, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I love freezing things in ice cube trays.

I wish fresh cherries were in season!
Katherine

Pure2Raw Twins May 3, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Yes I grew up with drinking lots of apple juice too, also fresh orange juice!

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover May 3, 2010 at 6:55 pm

YUUUM – cherry mania!
I wish cherries were cheaper in Brazil – we have to buy imported ones, and it´s too darn expensive :/
Have a great week, Heather!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

Justine May 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I love the frozen yogurt idea!
I am not an avid juice drinker, but I do love cabbage or carrot juice from time to time. :)

Colleen Cameron May 3, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Oh my gosh! Great idea HEAB!
I’ll have to try a HEAB cherry limeade! Hey…while i’ve got TJ’s on the brain, mind telling me what your favorite TJ’s products are? I’m looking to stock my pantry!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 4, 2010 at 7:04 am

Colleen, Never met a Trader Joe’s product I didnt like. The following are my usual purchases: 1. roasted crunchy unsalted almond butter 2. tzatziki sauce 3. smooth and creamy original hummus 4. uncured turkey hot dogs 5. cereal – Trader Joe’s has the best prices on cereal 6. Low sugar strawberry jam 7. canned refried beans with salsa 8. goat milk yogurt 9. goat milk cheese 10. organic bananas and apples 11. frozen wild salmon 11. frozen artichoke hearts 13. raw cashews – cheapest place I can find them 14. 7 grain sprouted grain bread (pink wrapper)

The above are all my favs. Enjoy your shopping trip!

thedailyoatmeal May 3, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I’ve actually never liked juice! I can tolerate a little orange juice once in a while, but all of it always feels so heavy and sweet to me. I’m intrigued by how you used the cherry juice though–maybe I could dillute it and get the taste without the syrup effect I normally feel.

Thanks!

Kellie May 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I am not a juice drinker. I actually limit my kids juice intake too. I would just rather we eat whole fruit. I do make them smoothies and sometimes add some orange juice in.

Nicole May 3, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Thanks for posting on my blog :) I’m not much of a juice drinker, but I like a little on the weekends! I love anything cherry, so your post has me craving some, but lately it’s been OJ + POM!

Cherie May 3, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Did you say Cherie Pie?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 4, 2010 at 7:07 am

Cherie, Yes, “Cherie Pie” – that’s what I totally meant. ;)

hstrelich1 May 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Hailey S. (Adventures in Health)
That cherry limeade looks so good. Cherry anything is good. Love the bloggy and thanks for answering my “Tempeh” question. -Hailey- (haileyshealthadventures.blogspot.com)

Sarah L. May 4, 2010 at 7:34 am

So cool to hear you on Meaghan’s podcast!

Natalie May 4, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Mmm! What a great idea to make a cherry limeade.. if I ever get my hands on Cheribundi, I’ll definitely be making one of those refreshing treats (and the yogurt.. looks delicious!)

glidingcalm May 4, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Wow! You were way more creative with your Cheribundi than I! But i guess that is to be expected from the brilliant HEABERS! I love you!!

Denise Billings May 4, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Yummm! I LOVE the taste of cherries. Thanks for the great ideas of how to use these products. Can’t wait to try them.

BTW, have you tried using agave necter insted of stevia? I’m not a fan of the taste of stevia but LOVE agave necter.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 4, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Denise, I try and stay away from agave nectar as it’s mostly fructose which my body can’t handle. Lately, I’ve just been avoiding sweetening my foods altogether, but when I do, it’s usually just with a touch of real maple syrup or raw honey. Yummy. :)

{ 1 trackback }