More Breakfast Veggies

by HEAB on May 4, 2010

Hello friends. Thanks again for all your comments and support regarding the Nashville flood. Chris and I were very fortunate and had no water damage, but others were not so fortunate. In fact, some of our friends lost everything . It’s going to be a long and difficult cleanup, but the city is really pulling together. So, please continue to keep Nashville in your thoughts and prayers.

Now, onto breakfast. I’ve been in a bit of a cereal rut these days, not a bad thing, but it doesn’t make for very exciting blog material. However, this morning I woke up craving something other than cereal. So, I had what any normal person would have for breakfast…a HEABified taco salad. ;)

I roasted 1/2 serving of Braggs covered tempeh in a 400° oven for 20 minutes. Right before the tempeh was done, I placed some blue tortilla chips in an oven-safe dish with 1 ounce of shredded goat milk cheese. Once the tempeh was done and my cheese had melted, I added them to a bowl along with some romaine, 1/2 a chopped tomato, and a heaping spoonful of mango and peach salsa. Yum, what a great way to start the day!

Good news: I’m trying out a new yoga class later today. I’m usually a morning yoga girl, but there is a series of classes beginning tonight that I’ve been wanting to attend for a while. It’s held in house in a really cool neighborhood up the street from where I live. As you know, I haven’t been doing much yoga lately due to some girly problems, but I’m trying to ease back into things. Looking forward to getting back on that mat tonight, that’s for sure!

Enjoy your day, and again, thanks to everyone for your support after our crazy weekend of weather. :)

Beth May 4, 2010 at 11:25 am

Mmmm Taco salad with tempeh! Love it. I might make a modified version for dinner tonight!

Carolyn May 4, 2010 at 11:37 am

yum…!

fartygirl May 4, 2010 at 11:41 am

Glad you are safe. :) Good luck at the yoga class!

Jen Trinque May 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm

That actually looks delicious and I could see any totally normal person eating it for breakfast! :)

I saw some pics of the Nashville floods last night, and man, I’m so glad you weren’t one of the people hit that hard.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I am glad that you guys are ok! I am truly sorry for your friends. We had flooding in Atlanta last fall and this sounds just like what we had going on. Six Flags was under water here. I feel for all of the people in Nashville that suffered from this. My thoughts are with all of them!

Good luck tonight at yoga! I hope you are feeling better and that the yoga helps you out! Have a great day!

*Andrea* May 4, 2010 at 12:24 pm

yum! i love non-traditional bfasts. i had a package of bbq tofu yesterday from my dining hall and ppl looked at me funny but i loved it

Diana May 4, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I’m so sorry for your friends :/ But I’m glad you’re ok. :)
That looks like an awesome breakfast! Veggies for breakfast = yummy!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 4, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Thankgoodness you guys were not harmed by the flooding! So sorry for your friends.

Kelsey May 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm

No way! I seriously considered having salad for breakfast this morning, but I thought it’d be too weird so I went with cracked wheat instead. (http://cleanteenkelsey.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/wheat-that-is-cracked/) Darn, I should’ve just gone with it. Maybe tomorrow. :)

Amy @ Second City Randomness May 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I seem to prefer the yoga more at night- it really helps me unwind after a long day…

And I love the salad for breakfast! Fresh eats all day!

Lara (Thinspired) May 4, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I haven’t tried tempeh yet…what is a good “starter” brand to try? I’m a little intimidated…

Have fun at your yoga class, Heabie! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 4, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Lara, I always just buy the Trader Joe’s brand – I think it’s 3-grain. Oh gosh, love it so much!

Heather May 4, 2010 at 12:52 pm

im so glad you’re going to do yoga! and i’m also really glad you have non-traditional breakfasts…makes me smile :D

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 4, 2010 at 12:58 pm

It’ll be soooo nice to get back to yoga :)

Quix May 4, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Glad you’re safe. Enjoy your yoga, and I would totally make a taco salad for breakfast! ;)

Janet (Pantry Bites) May 4, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I love it. Who says you can’t have salad for breakfast.

Lola May 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Taco salad for breakfast? If not normal, totally delicious!

Johanna B May 4, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Glad to hear you’re getting to try yoga again. I can’t imagine giving it up.

quinnlovescali May 4, 2010 at 1:50 pm

YES PLEASE on the taco salad. That looks fabulous.

Ameena May 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your friends who were affected by the flood but I’m glad you are okay!

Taco salad looks delicious…why not eat it for breakfast? :)

Girl Hero Jenn May 4, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Your salad looks delicious but I have no idea how you eat it for breakfast! I so wish I could as it would make it much easier to get all my veggies in!!!

Glad to hear you are getting back to yoga!

charlotte May 4, 2010 at 2:12 pm

So glad that you didn’t suffer any flood damage and that the city is recovering. I love your breakfast – I’m going to try marinating my tempeh in Braggs! I’m so happy you are getting back to yoga!!!

Jenny May 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Looks good lady!

Mama Pea May 4, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Why not have taco salad for breakfast?! Especially with the best salsa EVER. I’m so glad you guys are okay. I’ll keep your friends in my prayers.

eatmovelove May 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Love the colors! Love nachos too…and I eat salsa in ridiculously enormous quantities…
Thoughts and prayers to Nashville.
Good luck with the yoga…I wasn’t aware of it having affect on a whole lot of girly issues…?…but take care of yourself! (maybe because I do it basic and…uh, not at all now?…oops).

Kristie May 4, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Wow, taco salad for breakfast. That’s a new one… and I love it! Especially since it includes tempeh. Who makes the breakfast rules anyway? Go taco!

malpaz May 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm

tempeh- i read about that stuff…its like soy but fermented or something, right?

i love breakfast all day, like i could live of the variety of omellets i make! that nashville story is devestating… here in the Mississippi coast we are dealing with the oil spill, coast being closed and so many businesses closing b/c there is no shrimping, crabbing, seafood and fishery business now. very depressing because so many coastal families made their living off the seafood industry

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm

malpaz, Yes, tempeh is made from fermented soybeans, and I love it. In my opinion, the texture is so much better than tofu, and it doesn’t bother my stomach like other soy products do.

Yes, the oil spill is awful. I feel for the families and businesses down there. You are all in my thoughts.

Kendall May 4, 2010 at 3:28 pm

So glad to hear everything is ok for you and CD, Heather. My parent’s old friend called yesterday and told them that the condo they lived in when I was a baby is under water.

Katherine: What About Summer? May 4, 2010 at 5:03 pm

yum can any day start out better than salsa?

life is so hard with all the ups and downs. I just always have to reassure myself an up is coming in the future!
Best,
Katherine

LesleyG May 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm

And now I know what I’ll have for dinner! :)

I’ve been thinking about you all in Nashville… tweeting about it quite a lot, etc. I am disappointed with the national media coverage, because I think once people know, they’ll help more. But it does seem to be increasing, so I hope that continues. I know it must be surreal right now, and my thoughts and prayers are definitely going in that direction!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Thanks so much LesleyG. :)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 4, 2010 at 5:52 pm

You rock, Heather! I would (and have) totally eat a taco salad for breakfast! Food police be damned. ;) Who says salad, steak or pizza isn’t for breakfast?! hehe That looks awesome.

Jenn

Jaya May 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Heather, I’m also really glad to hear that you guys are OK (despite those annoying little problems) and hoping that those in Nashville who weren’t so fortunate catch some lucky breaks. My partner was actually homeless for 6 months while in university and we are constantly basking in the good fortune of having a roof over our heads! Hope this foray into yoga agrees with your bod.

Justine May 4, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I hope your yoga went well! I have been meaning to attend a night time yoga class fro a while.

Who says that breakfast needs to be the same everyday? Kudos for (ALWAYS) thinking outside of the box!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 4, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Glad you are SAFE!!! And that you fared ok in all of this. My prayers go out to everyone who was not as lucky.

Re the yoga, I really hope it’s helpful!! Usually restorative and more gentle forms are held at night in order to ease one into slumber. I hope that it’s what you body is calling for and needs. Very forward of me, but as a yoga teacher for 10 yrs, if there is anything I could help you with specifically on these matters, I would be glad to help or offer suggestions :)

xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 5, 2010 at 6:37 am

Thanks Averie, Class was great last night, and I’m sore today. Feels good! :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 4, 2010 at 9:05 pm

i like yoga best in the morning too but i dont mind the occassional night class either.

sorry to hear ur not feeling the best… ohhh the life of us women…

<3 xoxo

yogiclarebear May 4, 2010 at 9:19 pm

cereal RUT?! no such thing! i adore cereal (gluten-free of course!) and could eat it for every meal. i make up my own cereal too…just putting almond milk on crunchy snack things or even just almond milk with fruit pieces! <3 cereal.

with that said, your brekky looks delish heather. i might have that after my cereal. ;)

Megan May 4, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I love that your breakfasts are so non-traditional. It’s fun to wake-up and see that you ate taco salad for breakfast and I get a kick out of how you come to deciding on these things. I should do that more often. I pretty much stick to the usuals.

I am so sorry to hear that some of your friends lost everything. That is terrible. I hope they are able to bounce back quickly.

Michal May 5, 2010 at 4:53 am

MMM I love your tempeh taco salad, that looks delicious! I have been having a love affair with tempeh lately. :)

Allie (Protein Girl) May 5, 2010 at 6:42 am

Good luck with the yoga again – easy does it. Your brekkie looks delish. I had mexican eggs with veggies and savory pumpkin! Nom. Nom.

Kelly May 5, 2010 at 7:01 am

I am so glad you are safe but I am terribly sorry for your friends. I will definitely keep Nashville in my thoughts…

Hanna M. May 5, 2010 at 7:49 am

Mmm… must buy tempeh and make that breakfast salad! Your experimenting is crazy– in a good way!

erintakescontrol May 5, 2010 at 8:59 am

That taco salad looks so good! Note to self: buy tempeh next WF trip!

Whit May 5, 2010 at 9:23 am

I’m praying for you guys over there! My sisters and I were just talking about you [since you are in Nashville and they met you at Thanksgiving] and they were wondering how you were!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 5, 2010 at 10:21 am

Thanks Whit and please tell those cute sisters yours I said hello. :)

Ilana May 5, 2010 at 12:01 pm

So glad to hear you’re safe and undamaged! And your nachobreakfast looks amazing. …I wish I weren’t allergic to corn, corn tortillas are the effing best.

{ 1 trackback }