Falafel Recommendations

by HEAB on May 6, 2010

I think yesterday’s post was my most favorite comment reading ever. All your falafel stories were great, and there were several restaurants or stands mentioned more than once:

If you’re ever in Paris, you must go to the famous falafel stand, l’as du falafel, located on Rue des Rosiers in the 4th arrondissement.

If you find yourself in Spain or New York City for that matter, then make sure to get your falafel fix at Mamoun’s. Another great NYC falafel spot is Moaz, and apparently Moaz has several international locations as well. I must go there someday as I’ve never been to falafel stand with a toppings bar. Oh my gosh, I’d be in heaven!

If you find yourself intoxicated at 2 AM while in Cambridge, MA, then there is nothing better than Moody’s Falafel Palace in Central Square.

And last but not least, seek out those little hole-in-the wall falafel restaurants in Holland and Israel. Several of you mentioned enjoying amazing falafels in both countries.

For those of you that had bad falafel experiences, I am so sorry. The ones served at the Whole Foods hot bar seem to be hit or miss. My advice is to get yourself to an authentic Middle Eastern or Mediterranean Restaurant and try again! :)

As much as I loved all your stories, I simply couldn’t pick out the “best” one, and so I went with a random winner for the Falafel Chips

Congrats to Katie from LilVeggiePatch!

Picture 1.png

Katie, please email me with your address and whether you would like original or spicy Falafel Chips. :)

Personally, I am so LOVING these chips and decided to make myself a gyro salad plate yesterday…well, sort of…

Alas, although I was really craving some lamb, there was no gyro meat to be found in my fridge. So, into my bowl of chopped romaine and tomato went a chicken sausage, Trader Joe’s Tzatziki sauce, and a handful of spicy Falafel Chips. This was yummy, but would have been perfect with a little sprinkle of feta.

Anyone gotten their falafel love on yet today?

Oh, and please check out my interview with Jenn over at Girl Heroes if you get a chance. :)

Amy May 6, 2010 at 10:38 am

Hey Heather,
I’m usually a lurker, but I read your blog almost every day. I loved the interview link. You seem like such a kind, caring person! Thanks for creating this blog and using your success to inspire others. I wish you the best!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 6, 2010 at 10:39 am

Thanks Amy. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet May 6, 2010 at 10:50 am

I need to get in on the falafel-lovin’!

janetha May 6, 2010 at 10:54 am

LOVED your post on jenn’s blog!

eatmovelove May 6, 2010 at 10:59 am

Congrats to the winner! They look so good. I love those Brown-Rice “Chips” in Parmesan and Sun-Dried Tomatoes…I think they’re called Rice Works …? Have you tried…so freaking good. Gahhh.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 6, 2010 at 11:02 am

Eatmovelove, I buy those rice chips at Costco. In fact we have an unopened bag in our cabinet which I’m sure I’ll be attacking once I work my way through the Falafel Chips. :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 6, 2010 at 11:00 am

That interview was great. You are so inspiring :)

Ilana May 6, 2010 at 11:02 am

Lol – I need to add my falafel recommendations. If you’re ever in Thailand, around the corner from Khao San Road (major tourist center in Bangkok) is an AMAZING falafel stand called Shoshana’s – I got one of the best falafels ever there, with fries, Israeli salad, hummus, and tehina, for three bucks. And if you’re ever in Queens, NYC, the best falafel place is FALAFEL KITCHEN in Fresh Meadows.

Seeing falafel and hummus chips all over the blogverse have inspired me to make my own. If they work, I know what I’m havin’ for lunch.

Beth May 6, 2010 at 11:02 am

Ohh that salad looks incredible. I’ll definitely check out the interview in a little bit!

Mama Pea May 6, 2010 at 11:10 am

I agree with all the love in the comments, HEAB. You are the best. You have a lifelong reader and friend in me, but I hope you already knew that.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 6, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I knew MamaPea…right back at ya. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 6, 2010 at 11:18 am

I need to get my hands on those chips! No, I have not gotten my falafel on today, but now I need to!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 6, 2010 at 11:21 am

i love any type of dish like that .. all messy and piled up. so fun to eat! <3

Katie May 6, 2010 at 11:36 am

I forgot all about my falafel waffle idea! That’s how my brain works…it was only yesterday. I’m writing it down now.

Heather May 6, 2010 at 11:40 am

feta makes it betta, as fANNEtastic food Anne always says! you have the most creative meals, hands down!

Ameena May 6, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Congratulations to Katie! Lucky girl. I wish my Whole Foods carried these chips so I could give them a try!!

Gina May 6, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Blech, the falafel at the Whole Foods bar here is bad. Really dry and not a good taste, I was so bummed because there aren’t a lot of middle eastern places around here.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Yep, Maoz is pretty good! Only been there once, but as it happens, it’s entirely possible I may be dining there tonight. Meeting some girlfriends before a movie and I have a feeling falafel may be a popular choice. If only they had more seating than a counter along the window! FYI that chain originated in Amsterdam, I believe, so ya know, if you can’t make it to NYC but find yourself in the Netherlands instead… ;)

Sarah May 6, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Mmmm…I haven’t had any falafel yet today, but I have been able to eat some homemade hummus!

marshell y. Roper May 6, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Okay! exactly what is falafel? I thought it was the sweet cake that I would see on the board walk in Jersey. Obviously I am wrong! Could you straighten me out on this? My culture is not into trying different foods, but my health is paying the price. Soul food is out, new things are coming in!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 6, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Marshell, Oh my friend, you must get yourself a really good falafel. It is a fried ball or patty made with chickpeas or fava beans and spices, often served in a pita with various toppings. Definitely not sweet, but totally savory and delicious!

Claire May 6, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I love the Girl Heroes site.Always inspiring and you are no exception:-)cc

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas May 6, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I love that you eat whatever you want for breakfast. I’m not one for the eggs and bacon peer pressure either. I often have turkey on whole wheat!

Can you believe Friendly’s has ice cream on their breakfast menu!?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 6, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Wendy, Oh my gosh, Friendly’s! Ha, I used to go there every year for a birthday sundae. Thanks for the memories, and there is nothing wrong with the occasional ice-cream breakfast. ;)

Evan Thomas May 6, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I’m totally going to check out Moody’s this Summer on your recommendation(maybe not intoxicated)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 6, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Evan, I expect a full report! ;)

Anna May 6, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I am PRINTING this out!!! Love falafels! :-)

Kelly May 6, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Awesome…congrats to Katie!:)

Jenny May 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I am in serious need of tzatziki!!!

The Coconut Mama May 6, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Heather,
I would love it if you opened a recipe page! I love all the food you eat =)

I’m going to check out the interview link.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 6, 2010 at 3:31 pm

The Coconut Mama, I have a recipe page. Have you seen it? It can be found here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/ :)

theprocessofhealing May 6, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Gyro salad plate…YUM!

The Coconut Mama May 6, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I’m such a loser! I never noticed it. I’ll go check it out.

BTW Cool interview =)

julie May 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm

oh! what do you think of tjs taziks? i love me some hannahs? i think that’s the brand haha but we buy in bulk at costco :) i guess thats my as-of-late mediterranean affair.

i have gotttttttttt to get to maoz like pronto!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Julie, I’ve seen the Tzatziki at Costco, but I’ve never tried it. Love the Trader Joe’s brand, and please enjoy some Maoz for me. :)

Sandi May 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Hi there Heather,
I was inspired by your Girl Hero interview and made your lemon-miso salad for dinner tonight, and let me just say it was the most delicious thing EVER. I couldn’t believe something so simple could taste so amazing! And then I had a baked sweet potato and some coconut ice cream for dessert :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 6, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Sandi, Did you save any leftovers? I can be over in 5 minutes. :)

Just kidding, but so glad you enjoyed the salad. It’s one of my favorites as are both of your desserts!

Amanda May 6, 2010 at 6:38 pm

YES I did get my falafel love on! I made some at home for dinner tonight, they weren’t bad but nothing beats the real stuff. I actually used the recipe that’s on the falafel chip website!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 6, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Those chips + sausage look delish! :)

Jenn

Pure2Raw Twins May 6, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Great tips. I was just over in Spain and saw Moaz over there, it was a popular place! I wish I knew about the ones in Paris, I would have loved to try them, I guess next time ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 6, 2010 at 7:32 pm

katie rocks as do you and jenn, off to check it out!

Alisa May 6, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I really should try those chips, but first I must try a real falafel! I couldn’t really join in on the entries yesterday since I don’t have any falafel stories good or bad. Time to get on that. Perhaps I will hit up one of those recommendations someday :)

Barbara May 6, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I told you!! Life changing!! no???!?!?!? Every time I read ‘falafel’ in your post, I can’t help but smile. So glad I nagged you about these and you like them! The ingredients are so impressive- but the taste?!!?!?OMG- dangerous. Now do you see why I literally stole the entire sample basket at the Health Food Store (I was not kidding when I told you this fyi)- and I’m not ashamed of it either!!! haha (okay, kind of….)
Love, Barbara

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 7, 2010 at 8:28 am

Barbara – no shame! I would have stolen the entire sample basket as well. Seriously! Thanks so much for introducing me to these chips – now I just have to talk my Whole Foods into selling them. ;)

jenny (green food diaries) May 6, 2010 at 10:55 pm

hummus… chips… tzaziki… mmm! i want falafel now.

brittac May 6, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Ohhh how I heart falafel. I like saying it, but I like eating it even better!

Have you tried the sunshine burger falafel – its delish!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 7, 2010 at 8:29 am

Brittac, Yes, love that falafel Sunshine Burger!

Jess - The Domestic Vegan May 7, 2010 at 7:12 am

Falafel is my favorite food! I love it so much. Taim Falafel & Smoothie Bar is another AMAZING NYC falafel place. They won a throw-down against Bobby Flay on the Food Network!

Now I want falafel for breakfast…

kalli@fitandfortysomething May 7, 2010 at 7:35 am

yes those chips are the best!

steph May 7, 2010 at 12:06 pm

mmm… falafel, there’s a second place on rue de rosiers called chez hannah, which is equally fabulous, and has tables and chairs if you’re feeling lazy! We’re pretty lucky in London to have a lot of great falafel places!

erintakescontrol May 7, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Love the gyro style plate! Yum!

Ana May 8, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I am so craving falafels after your posts!
We like that TJ’s sausage here too, it is the spinach, fontina and roasted garlic one, istn’t it? It is the only sausage we buy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Ana, Yep, I think so. We buy them in bulk from Costco, but I threw away the label. I know the sausages have spinach and some kind of cheese which I shouldn’t eat, but it’s just a little. ;) They are so good!

{ 1 trackback }