The BEST Fish Tacos

by HEAB on May 8, 2010

Yesterday, I had lunch with my best friends from high-school at one of our favorite restaurants in Nashville, Baja Burrito. Carrie and Jenny, we missed you!

When anyone visits Nashville and asks me for restaurant recommendations, Baja Burrito is always at the top of the list. It’s a mission-style burrito restaurant, and I don’t know a single person in this city who doesn’t love it. The food is always fresh, the rice is brown, and the beans are all vegetarian. However, I don’t go for the beans or rice, I go for the fish!

Baja Burrito has hands down the best fish tacos I have ever eaten. I’ve tried so many others, but nothing compares to these little gems found right here in Music City. They consist of fried white fish (yes, sometimes I eat fried foods – hello falafels!), cabbage, and some kind of magical white sauce all wrapped up in 2 little corn tortillas. Honestly, the white sauce…I can’t even put it into words. To my fellow Nashvillians, do you know what they put in this stuff? I must find out and recreate it at home…or perhaps it’s best that I don’t know. :) Anyway, I adore these tacos. Oh, and the chips are excellent as well. Never stale and perfectly salted. Baja Burrito, I love you!

What is your favorite local restaurant?

annecalista May 8, 2010 at 8:55 am

Looks fabulous- I love your dress in that picture! my favorite local restaurant is also a Mexican one, called Dos Amigos Burritos. :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 10:41 am

Thanks AnneCalista. Dress is from Athleta: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=757713&scid=757713002It is so comfortable! I want to live in it. :)

Justine May 8, 2010 at 9:00 am

In OKC, there is a winebar & bistro called The Metro. It is pretty close to my house and it is not a chain. They have just about everything to choose from, but the thing I always go for is the French onion soup- hands down the best ever! They also have a fabulous bread pudding served with a bourbon creme anglias that will just about make your heart melt. Thank you for sharing- the fish tacos sound so good!

Have a great weekend, Heather!

Jenn (GH) May 8, 2010 at 9:07 am

Oh man fish tacos are the best. We have so many great places to get them here in Southern CA. One of my favorites is a place called Spencer’s. It’s a tiny little hole in the wall place but soooo goooood!

jenny (green food diaries) May 8, 2010 at 9:40 am

my favourite local restaurant is Live Organic Food Bar in Toronto, Canada where they have an all-vegan menu with a separate raw vegan menu… their “lox and bagels” with chia seed bagels, carrot “lox” and cashew cream cheese is SO good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 10:37 am

Jenny, That sounds amazing. I would love Live Organic Food Bar. I just know it!

VeggieGirl May 8, 2010 at 9:56 am

Favorite local restaurant = Moxie!

Diana May 8, 2010 at 9:57 am

It does look and sound good! I don’t think I’ve ever had a fish taco!
My fav local restaurant… I have no idea. I don’t really have one.

shrinkingirl May 8, 2010 at 10:13 am

Oh wow, I love fish tacos and those look awesome. Must make a trip!

quinnlovescali May 8, 2010 at 10:17 am

I LOVE fish tacos. Yum. I moved from AZ to PA, and there is a definitely lack of authentic Mexican food here. But we have a few great Indian restaurants. The restaurant around the corner from our house (dangerous) serves the best Chana Masala and Palak Paneer. So delicious.

Kellie May 8, 2010 at 10:17 am

I always avoid mexican restaurants because I never know if their beans are vegetarian. I do like wahoo’s though. Great rice and veggies.

operagirlcooks May 8, 2010 at 10:24 am

I looked online for “Mexican white sauce,” and ended up finding a lot of recipes including Miracle Whip! Blech! I imagine you could make it with something else though!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 10:38 am

Thanks OperaGirl. I was pretty sure there would be mayo involved. ;)

Heather May 8, 2010 at 10:41 am

For an everyday wholesome lunches or a 2 am snack (they’re open 24/6), my favorite place is the Mate Factor. But if I’m really wanting to treat a friend, definitely Adam’s Mountain Cafe. Both awesome establishments are obviously in Manitou. I’ve yet to find any restaurants in Colorado Springs that wow me. :P

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 10:42 am

Heather, You can never go wrong with Adams. Have you been to Trinity Brewing Co? I love their sweet potato fries!

robyn jones clark May 8, 2010 at 10:43 am

one of my favorite places to eat in nashville!

Olivia May 8, 2010 at 10:45 am

Los Amigos is outstanding if you’re even in Baltimore!! I have so many favorites restaurants! In fact, we named each table at our wedding reception after our a restaurant that was special to us in some way or another.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 10:49 am

Olivia – I love that (the wedding table idea). So fun. :)

gina (fitnessista) May 8, 2010 at 10:55 am

ahhhh i love fish tacos! and i LOVE your dress- you look gorgeous as always heaby :)
my favorite local restaurant has to be 306 north. fancy southern food and the exec chef is so nice about my ordering antics
hope you’re having a great weekend!
xoxo

Whitney May 8, 2010 at 10:57 am

I went to Baja Burrito for the first time a couple weeks ago and loved it! But my favorite restaurant is still Calypso! I could eat it everyday…

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 11:34 am

Whitney, Oh my gosh, love Calypso too!

Heather May 8, 2010 at 10:58 am

I actually haven’t been to Trinity Brewing Co. I’ll have to check it out! It’s rather pathetic, but none of my local friends ever eat out. So, I’m always waiting for someone to visit me so I can enjoy that nice Adam’s meal. But now I’m craving it and thinking I may have to just go solo this weekend!

Anna May 8, 2010 at 11:04 am

Those do sound like great tacos! In Shreveport, one of my favorite local restaurants is a vegetarian restaurant– Earthereal. And I say that not just because I worked there all through high school and college summers :-)

homecookedem May 8, 2010 at 11:10 am

Fish tacos are might tasty!! Those sound wonderful!!

Have a great weekend!! :)

Meg May 8, 2010 at 11:29 am

Mmm I fish tacos are my absolute favorite! If you find out what they put in the sauce let me know, I’ve been trying to come up with a vegan version :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 11:39 am

Meg, From what I gather, the sauce is 1/2 mayo, 1/2 sour cream, lime juice and lime zest: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fish-Taco-Platter-233703 You could try a vegan version with veganaise and soy sour cream.

Evan Thomas May 8, 2010 at 11:31 am

I love the line about “yes, sometimes I eat fried food”. I don’t know how I’d live without at least once a week eating something that’d seen too much oil.
My favorite local foodie place is garden grill cafe. I don’t think I’ve ever had a hash quite like theirs. And their peanut butter?! OMG is that good.

missyrayn May 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Our favorite local restaurant here is a place called Bass Water Grill. Simple menu with some awesome food for a great price. And it is right across from the walking trail and lake so you can enjoy the scenery and a nice walk after lunch or dinner.

theprocessofhealing May 8, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Mmmmm good fish tacos are the BEST!!!

Mel @ She Runs Brooklyn May 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I will always say- you can never go wrong with Mexican food! Glad you seem to agree :)

I just moved into the East Village in NYC, and my new favorite “local” spot happens to be steps away from me across the street! It’s called the 6th Street Kitchen, and it’s all organic American inspired tapas. I went there with a close friend the other day for the first time, and was very impressed! Their motto is “simple food for complicated people”.

Check out the menu: http://www.6thstreetkitchen.com/

And they give me a great view from my window at night when each table has a lit candle on it. The flames dance into my room. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Mel, I would go for the brunch!

Run Sarah May 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Love your dress HEAB! That taco joint sounds wonderful -love the fact they use brown rice!

eatmovelove May 8, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Yum! Seems like there’s a lot of Mexican food focus down in Nashville from the places you go…? That’s a good thing :)
My favorite restaurant is anything that offers appetizers and some nice pizzas on the menu…with big fruity fluffy strawberry dacquiris…and cute waiters don’t hurt ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Eatmovelove, Mexican is my favorite!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 8, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I love getting together with my best friend from high school. Looks like you all had a great time together! I will have to check out that place when I get to Nashville! Our favorite local place is Holeman and Finch http://holeman-finch.com/. We love the owners just as much as the food there!

Cat May 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Next time you have a craving for those fish tacos….I’m just 1 phone call away and I’m your dining partner. LOVE them too. Its all about that white sauce! I heard they have great pineapple salsa too.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Cat, The pineapple salsa is yummy. Yes, we must go one day soon. :)

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover May 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm

YUUUM for fish tacos! :D
Wish you a wonderful weekend, Heather!
Brazilian XOXO┬┤s,
Gabriela

Jenny May 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I love that dress!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Yum, those looks GOOD! My favorite local restaurant is a pizza dive. Love me some pizza! :)

Jenn

runnerforever May 8, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Food looks good and the prices look even better, great find! There is a local pasta place in my hometown that I love but mainly because of its wonderful atmosphere.

julie May 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm

mmm baja buritto sounds SO good! i’ve been dieing to make fish tacos lately for some strange reason so after seeing this i know for sure i need to do that asapple

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 8, 2010 at 7:31 pm

oh that does sound divine!!! <3

Liz May 8, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Hi Heather– it’s called crema fresca. It’s cream/ half and half and sour cream thinned out a bit with salt and lime or whatever seasoning you like (chipotle, cinantro… )

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 9, 2010 at 6:49 am

Cool – Thanks LIz. No wonder it’s so good! :)

christina May 9, 2010 at 12:08 am

i want a baja burrito near me!! so jealous. i love fish tacos :)

Jennifer (take the day off) May 9, 2010 at 6:55 am

I went to college in Nashville, and it wasn’t until my senior year that I discovered Baja Burrito! Now I HAVE to go there every time I go back to visit Nashville. I have dreams about their salsa bar.

Emily May 9, 2010 at 10:20 am

Rosepepper has great fish tacos too, but yes, nothing beats Baja. From burritos, to great taco salads to their fish tacos – just everything is yummy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 9, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Emily, Oh my gosh, I love Rose Pepper’s chicken caesar salad. I have them fill up the little taco shell bowl with guac instead of caesar dressing – one of my favorite restaurants!