Heather Does NOT Eat Almond Butter

by HEAB on May 10, 2010

Oh my gosh, CD and I were overwhelmed by all of your comments, tweets, and facebook postings yesterday. Thanks to all of our friends, readers, and to all the folks that delurked to express your excitement and support for our upcoming adventure as parents. Really, even though I have never met many of you in person, I feel like I have this huge group of virtual friends, and you guys mean more to me than you know. :)

Now, before I get into details, please keep in mind that every pregnancy is different, as I’m sure all the moms out there already know, and for all the moms-to-be, please get don’t discouraged by the following paragraphs. Yes, I’ve had a tough time, but many women feel great throughout their entire pregnancy. Me? Yeah, not so much. Although the past three months have held much excitement, they have also been some of the most uncomfortable months of my life. There were complications in the beginning due to ovarian cysts, and the pregnancy hormones only made the cysts worse. I was told no yoga for 6 weeks, and I even had to limit my walking. I could no longer practice massage therapy and had to cancel all my clients. As soon as those issues started to clear up, the morning sickness hit, but I really don’t know why they call it morning sickness as I was sick ALL DAY LONG. I have yet to actually get sick, but most of the time I feel nauseous and don’t have much of an appetite. Keeping up with a food blog was almost impossible, and there were many days I thought about quitting. Now you know why I relaxed so many of my food rules. Honestly, I had no choice as many days, I had to force myself to eat, and most of my beloved foods simply didn’t sound good. I’ve lost about 10 pounds, and my doctor just wants me to eat whatever I can. Thankfully, the mornings and afternoons have gotten much better, but the evenings are still horrible. I try to eat a small dinner between 4 and 5 PM, and then I just lie in bed praying for it to be the next day. However, everyone tells me I should be feeling much better very soon, and I can’t wait! So, what have I been eating?

Well, breakfast usually consists of a big bowl of cereal with a banana, and we’re talking big!

That may not look like much, but it’s probably a 600 to 700 calorie bowl of cereal, and I have no idea what’s in there besides maybe some Whole Food’s 365 brand Peanut Butter Pows as my cereal collection has grown from 2 boxes to 10. :) Since I seem to have a good appetite in the morning and cereal doesn’t make me sick, I fill my bowl to the very brim. I wish I could add some almond butter, but believe it or not, the smell of any nut butter leaves me gagging. :(

My doctor was worried about my fluid intake as well. I used to spend my days with a mug of warm water and lemon in my hand year-round. Now, I can’t drink it, or any hot beverage for that matter (except hot chocolate). It’s so weird as water has been my beverage of choice for years now. However, these days, I’m subsisting on sparkling lime water (has to be ice-cold), root beer, and Cherry Limeades from Sonic, the best fountain drink ever! Everyone keeps telling me to try ginger ale, and trust me, I’ve tried. Blech.

DSC_0161.JPG

This was me last week before attending my first prenatal yoga class. Sonic, I love your ice!

Lunch and dinner usually consist of goat cheese omelets or a Garden Herb Sunshine Burger with tortilla or falafel chips (my new found love). Throughout the day, I’ve been snacking on a lot of cold fruit – I cannot get enough of it right now, especially when mixed with goat milk yogurt!

Ham and goat cheese omelet with cantaloupe

The only vegetables I can handle right now are cold romaine, tomatoes, kale chips, and white potatoes. No Brussels sprouts or broccoli in my life at the moment as I can’t stand the smell of them cooking. In fact my very patient and wonderful husband has been banned from cooking anything in our kitchen. Sorry CD – luv you. :)

There have been several very un-HEABlike moments these past few weeks as well, including a brief Pop-Tart phase and several Snickers and some bags of peanut M&M’s. Again, I just went with whatever I was craving in the moment. Since I can’t eat a lot at once, I just have my one mini-sized Snickers and go on with my day. Before, one Snickers would have led to 5 or 10 more as moderation with sugar was never a strongpoint for me. That being said, I must admit that although I’ve felt awful, this has been a really freeing time for me surrounding food. For the last 10 years, I’ve rarely allowed myself to eat what I want when I want it, and I only hope that when my appetite returns that I’ll be able to eat certain treats in moderation. Really, life is just too short not to enjoy some peanut M&M’s on occasion, right? ;)

As far as exercise goes, it has been nonexistent for the last 2 months besides my one yoga class. I couldn’t take walks in the beginning due to the cysts, and now I have zero energy to do much of anything. I hope to continue with yoga once a week and start walking at least 2 miles several times a week once I’m feeling better.

So, that about sums up the past 3 months of my life. Thanks again for all your support and love as I could not have continued blogging everyday without it. Honestly, you guys kept me going!

OK, enough about me. Thanks for listening, and I hope all of you have a wonderful Monday!

Beth May 10, 2010 at 8:49 am

Ugh I’m sorry to hear your pregnancy is so rough so far! But it is kind of cool in a way that its been freeing for your eating. Eating whatever you want WHENEVER you want it must be nice, minus the can’t eat too much and feel nauseous all the time parts… but congratulations to you and CD and hopefully it’ll get better from here!!

Ilana May 10, 2010 at 8:50 am

Heather, thanks for this post! I’m sorry to hear that things have been going so rough for you and I really do hope they clear up soon!

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 10, 2010 at 8:54 am

Awwww HUGS to the pretty mommy-to-be :(

*Sending good thoughts your way*
Love you so much!!

Megan May 10, 2010 at 8:57 am

Congratulations!!! I am so sorry you have had a rough go the last couple of months. That does not sound fun. I have high hopes that things will get better for you and you can get back to enjoying some of your favorite foods and activities.

Jenn (GH) May 10, 2010 at 8:57 am

Wow so sorry you have been so sick. I understand how you feel I was terribly sick with my two boys. One of my favorite foods is garlic. I just love it. When I was pregnant with my first I HATED it. Once Brent made pasta and put extra garlic in the sauce. I took one bite asked if he put extra garlic in it and started SOBBING. Looking back on it is funny but in the moment I was miserable. (((hugs))) As you know it will be so worth it in the end.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 9:08 am

Jenn, Oh my gosh – so good to hear. I cry so easily these days, and I am NOT a cryer. However, these days sometimes tears are the only thing that help.

Kayla May 10, 2010 at 9:00 am

Wow. That sounds rough!
I thought you looked super skinny in your last few pictures but didn’t want to say anything. I didn’t feel right commenting on someone else’s weight.
I hope your sickness starts to go away soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 9:06 am

Thanks Kayla…me too. :)

Vani May 10, 2010 at 9:23 am

hope you start feeling better soon!! have you ever read roni’s weigh? (ronisweigh.com) — she has a lot to say about how finding balance w/food & becoming a mom go hand in hand :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 9:26 am

Vani, Yes, I love Roni – we met on the POM trip last fall. I should email her. Thanks for your suggestion!

Vani May 10, 2010 at 9:24 am

hope you feel better soon!! have you ever read roni’s weigh? (ronisweigh.com) — she has a lot to say about how finding balance w/ food & becoming a mom go hand in hand :-)

vanillavivante.wordpress.com

Jean May 10, 2010 at 9:26 am

Hope your nausea subsides soon.

littlemissminny May 10, 2010 at 9:28 am

I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it gets easier as the time passes, and I hope you’ll be able to enjoy more food and activity soon!
Why can’t you drink any warm beverages?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 9:30 am

littlemissminny, Not sure – warm water makes me sick right now. Same with hot teas, and I can’t even walk into a coffee shop due to the smell. Everything has to be ice cold which is so unlike me since I’m always freezing. It’s weird.

Tabitha May 10, 2010 at 9:41 am

I was sick all day everyday too, it was horrendous, I was totally off all my usual foods, I lay on the couch barely moving for months.
I lived on burgers of all things, fast food restaurants were my life line!

Congrats, so happy for you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 9:45 am

Tabitha, I dream of Arby’s on a daily basis. Hehe. ;)

Lindsey May 10, 2010 at 9:41 am

Congrats on the pregnancy, Heather!! Sorry you’re going through a bit of a rough patch – I hope you start feeling better real real soon. It’s so good that you’re listening to what your body is craving, I’m sure your body loves you for doing so :)

Claire May 10, 2010 at 9:43 am

Hang in there!! Soooo excited for you:-)cc

Margie May 10, 2010 at 9:43 am

Congratulations, Heather!! I feel your joy (& your pain)! You should start feeling MUCH better in the coming days. With both of my pregnancies, the morning sickness and exhaustion just disappeared one day (around 14-15 weeks) and I suddenly felt normal again. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you and your beloved almond butter will be reunited once again in the coming weeks :-) I couldn’t LOOK at vegetables or salmon during the first trimester without gagging & both are staples of my diet. I hadn’t eaten meat in 15 years, but became addicted to buffalo wings while I was pregnant with my daughter. I couldn’t get enough of bison burgers when I was pregnant with my son. Anyway, I’m thrilled for you!

gavrielski May 10, 2010 at 9:45 am

Oh my gosh, congratulations, Heather!! This must be such an exciting time for you and CD!! I’m also so sorry to hear that the past few months have been rough. I wish you both all the best in the coming months! :)

ashley May 10, 2010 at 9:49 am

Hang in there! I am so hoping for you that your body gives you a little break soon : ) It amazes me that you’ve continued blogging! I’ve wanted to do NOTHING…which makes me a very productive family member ; ) By the way, it’s interesting to hear you comment on the water issue – water has had NO appeal to me, and it’s wierd to explain that to people.

Keep up the positive attitude, and if you want to cry, just do it! Sometimes it’s the only way to feel better : ) Enjoy all the food you can eat…you’ve given yourself and that sweet baby such a great start!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 9:50 am

Thanks Ashley. Same to you. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet May 10, 2010 at 10:12 am

So sorry you’ve been feeling sick, Heather. You know the end result will all be worth it. :)

Svetlana May 10, 2010 at 10:12 am

Heather, I felt the same way when I was pregnant a year ago. I couldn’t eat any of my favourite foods and couldn’t stand the smell of coffee (which I love). I ate a lof of watermelons and melons and drank lots of mineral water with lemon flavor. Also, I ate a lot of protein bars (the healthiest I could find) and asked my husband to make me coconut shakes all the time. The coconut and pineapple flavors were really appealing. You should try it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 11:25 am

Thanks Svetlana, Yes, I think I could do pineapple coconut smoothies. Good idea. :)

Liz May 10, 2010 at 10:14 am

Congrats to my favorite food-blogger — I hope you will start to feel better but am very excited for you!

Christie {Honoring Health} May 10, 2010 at 10:17 am

I’m sorry you haven’t been feeling the best but I do hope that you are feeling better soon. And yes, peanut M&M’s are needed sometimes.

angelaosg May 10, 2010 at 10:17 am

AHHH!!!! Congrats to you both!!! Such exciting news. :)

rachael May 10, 2010 at 10:19 am

I am so so glad you didn’t quit your blog! I am excited to read about your journey through pregnancy and parenthood:)

Sorry things have been rough so far. I hope you start feeling better soon. From what you’ve said, I have a feeling you have a little girl in there ;)

I could not get enough fruit when I was pregnant either, and jalepenos were like candy to me.

How did you like prenatal yoga? Prenatal classes are often a big change for yoginis that typically practice vinyasa.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 11:35 am

Rachael, Yep, the general consensus is that it’s a girl. :)

Pre-natal yoga was great, but I was just grateful to be back on the mat at all. It was definitely a change from a challenging vinyasa class, but even the few poses that we did left me sore, and plus there was a lot of squatting. Felt that in my quads for days afterwards. The class was small, and it was just nice to be around others who could relate to what I’m going through. Plus, our teacher is 8 months pregnant herself and just so cute and happy. It was very inspiring, and I can’t wait to go back this week!

Evan Thomas May 10, 2010 at 10:19 am

It’s hard to see anyone have to live a love they aren’t completely comfortable with. But we all know the joy of Almond Butter Junior(that’s going to be it’s name, right ;-) ) is going to be so great. Do what it takes to keep you and the baby healthy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 11:36 am

Evan, Yes, AB Jr. How did you know?!? ;)

Sassy Molassy May 10, 2010 at 10:23 am

Congrats on the pregnancy! That would be tough to have to avoid foods you normally love and eat regularly. Best wishes!

Heather May 10, 2010 at 10:25 am

oh man, i’m so sorry you’ve had such a tough pregnancy this far. i have a great friend who has had the same thing happen to her (she’s due Nov 4…just a little before you!), but she’s just recently been feeling a LOT better and it’s made all the difference in the world! i’m thinking and praying for you and your sweet child :)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas May 10, 2010 at 10:28 am

I really, really hope this gets better for you! It’s a wonderful thing that you started out as a healthy person, though. You’ve already given your baby a huge gift.

I’m sorry about your almond butter. I was disappointed to find that I couldn’t eat anything grainy while pregnant. No multigrain bread, no brown rice, nothing. It was just impossible. It took a few months, but my appetite for that stuff it back :) And water?

I’m wishing you only the best of all things “baby.” Looks like you have a lot of people out here thinking about you!

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas May 10, 2010 at 10:29 am

Ooops…meant to say “and water? I got SO sick of it!”

Teething baby at home. Can’t complete a thought to save my life!

eatmovelove May 10, 2010 at 10:32 am

This is such a great post! Oh – I hope you start feeling better soon! And that sucks about the nut butter…don’t worry I’ll eat enough for the both of us (or the 3 of us ;) ).
Love your cereal bowls though -and yes to relaxing those rules girl!
How about ice cream? That should be easier on the tummy ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 11:38 am

Eatmovelove, Yes, I’ve bonded with a few pints of coconut milk ice-cream. :)

Kristin Russell May 10, 2010 at 10:44 am

I’ve heard so many pregnant women say they are addicted to Sonic’s ice, and the cherry-limeade! Weird, huh?

Amber at Berlinswhimsy May 10, 2010 at 10:47 am

I had horrible morning sickness, too, and I found myself eating so many things that I would never have dreamed of eating before (such as canned green beans). I was told the same thing: eat what you can. I also lived on sparkling lime water (bought huge cases of it at Costco) but it turns my stomach now to think of it ( it brings back memories of being nauseous all the time). Hang in there!! Best wishes to you—

Andrea May 10, 2010 at 10:54 am

OMG…I’m so excited for your good news. I have two boys and I have to say that I felt so much better come month 4! It’s so weird what you crave, but I was really into fruit also. It was just so refreshing! I couldn’t stand the smell of coffee which was so weird since I’m a big coffee drinker. I’m excited to follow your pregnancy…yay for fit/healthy mommies! Do you feel bloated at all? That happened immediately to me….but you look fabulous….I don’t detect any bloat! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 11:40 am

Andrea, So funny as the other day, I totally had a baby bump. CD took all these pictures and then the next day it was gone. I think it was from Friday’s fish tacos. Hehe. So, the bloat comes and goes, depending on what I eat that day. Thanks for your encouragement!

Molly @FuelHerUp May 10, 2010 at 10:54 am

Hopefully you’ll feel better soon! Way to go on doing what you can for yourself!

annecalista May 10, 2010 at 11:00 am

Heather I’m SO happy for you! I have heard of similar experiences from a few friends… lots of sickness in the first half of the pregnancy. I hope everything just gets better and easier for you moving forward.
I have a question- have you always known you wanted to be a mother?

Graze With Me May 10, 2010 at 11:00 am

It’s soo strange to hear you saying this. Last month my appetite completely vanished, all things nut butter related just makes my stomach churn, working out at night was no longer an option, all veggies sound/smell awful & giant bowls of cereal are the only thing I can seem to choke down for breakfast. My husband and I thought for sure I was pregnant but since I have yet to miss a period, I don’t think that’s the case. Very coincidental though!!

I’m so excited to hear more about your pregnancy as we are hoping to start a family soon as well.

Mama Pea May 10, 2010 at 11:01 am

I’m so sorry you have been feeling so yucky the first few months. I was like that with both girls. I once threw up in a garbage can in my office during a client meeting. Lovely.

I lived on orange juice, cinnamon raisin bagels with cream cheese, rueben sandwiches and Chex mix. Nary a veggie in sight! Don’t sweat it, my friend…you’ve got to just get what you can in you now and as long as you are taking your prenatals, it’ll all be okay!

You are in my prayers and the little HEABlet too!

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) May 10, 2010 at 11:02 am

I am so sorry that you’ve been feeling “blah.” I’ve heard the first few months are the worst in terms of feeling sick and it gets better from there. Hang in there and keep fueling up with the foods that make you feel good! :D

missyrayn May 10, 2010 at 11:06 am

Heather you are amazing! I know so many healthy woman who just had to eat what they could when they could. Don’t worry because you are growing a cute little HEABlet in there who will grow to love all the normal HEAB food you and CD love including ALmond Butter. Until then just get in what you can handle and grow such a cutie :-)

nutritionbyeve May 10, 2010 at 11:08 am

First of all congratulations! First trimester can be so hard – but it sounds like you survived! Hopefully it will get easier. I had a really easy first trimester, but that’s not as common. I agree that you have to go in to your cravings sometimes, especially for you with the weight loss, just eat what you can tolerate! On Fridays I’ve been posting about pregnancy and nutrition – I would love for you to check it out. Fell Better!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) May 10, 2010 at 11:09 am

Aww Heather, I know you’ll get through this! Each trimester seems to have a different… theme? Haha! That’s what my older brother’s wife (they just had their first little boy a few months ago) said at least :)

It’s hilarious that almond butter is NOT in your life at the moment…since I can’t stand any type of nut butter when i’m sick either! The smell and texture makes me gag, but when i’m back to 100%…you know i’m all over it!

Congrats again! xoxo

Carly May 10, 2010 at 11:11 am

Congratulations Heather! I’m so thrilled for you both – we are starting the process (IUI) to get pregnant this month…and I’m very nervous but excited. :)
I can’t wait to hear all about you journey!
Much love to you and your little sweetpea :)
XO
Carly

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 11:32 am

Best of luck Carly! :)

Abbey May 10, 2010 at 11:11 am

OMG!!! Congratulations! This is such amazing news and I just wanted to say it is great to hear you are doing so well with eating what you want. So exciting HEAB’s! Life is DEFINITELY more pleasant with some occasional peanut m&m’s. Maybe some popcorn in the evenings? Popped with coconut oil it is so freaking delicious. Just a thought :) Hope you feel better soon.

Lara (Thinspired) May 10, 2010 at 11:14 am

It must feel so freeing to be eating fruit, Snickers, and hot chocolate! ;) Seriously though, I am so sorry it’s been such a rough ride. Hopefully the worst of it is behind you and you’ll have more energy and an appetite in your second trimester! Hugs!

Tay May 10, 2010 at 11:14 am

First off…CONGRATS!!! Second, I’m sorry it’s been such a tough time. But you know what’s right with your body, and good for you for going what you’re craving. It’s all worth it for the little one inside you! :-)

brandi May 10, 2010 at 11:14 am

Oh those sonic cherry limeades are the best!

I hope you start feeling better soon. My sister in law was pretty sick at the beginning too, but she said the last few months (she’s due in June) have completely made up for the first couple where she was sick.

the delicate place May 10, 2010 at 11:16 am

congrats on the little heablet! you must be so excited :D that’s so sad about the almond butter though! what about cashew or sunbutter? i hope you have the smoothest pregnancy! best wishes x

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 11:31 am

Thanks The Delicate Place. Nope, can’t do any nut or seed butters. Ended up throwing my tahini out b/c every time I saw it in the fridge I wanted to barf. :(

Cinthia May 10, 2010 at 11:21 am

Hi Heather!
Sorry you’re having a rough beginning to your pregnancy. I can sympathize. I had morning sickness that lasted all day and, like you, lost weight in the beginning. (But don’t worry too much because as long as you’re eating healthy, the baby is getting everything he/she needs. I ended up popping out a 10-pound baby boy.)
I also had the strangest cravings and for weeks could only manage Dinty Moore’s Beef Stew, and I’m a vegetarian. Too funny!
Don’t worry about not exercising either. Stock up on good books and watch all the movies you’ve been meaning to watch and be happy, happy, happy (isn’t it funny how you can be sick as crazy but still be happy?)
Cheers and take care,
Cinthia

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 11:30 am

Cinthia, Yes, feel so awful but so happy. Thanks for your comment – very encouraging! :)

Chandra May 10, 2010 at 11:22 am

Just catching up on your blog…many congrats on your pregnancy!! So sorry it’s been rough. The constant nausea is the pits…I had it rough with my first for exactly 13 weeks and then it was over. Look for preggie pops…last I saw motherhood maternity sells them by the counter…I know they were a lifesaver for some moms. I lived on grilled cheese for the first 13 weeks but I couldn’t make it myself.

I also heard recently that sonic sells their ice by the bag…you might want to look into that;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 11:28 am

Chandra, Yes, I’ve heard of Preggie Pops but haven’t really looked for them. Thank goodness for grilled cheese, and yes, Sonic does sell their ice by the bag. My mom bought some for me. :)

Melanie May 10, 2010 at 11:22 am

Nothing like a baby to force you to relax “the rules”, huh?

I found your blog a few months back and been lurking ever since. I have been so inspired by you and your story. You have helped to inspire me to get back on track with my diet which had skidded way off track the past couple years. You also helped to renew my love affair with brussels sprouts :)

So, thanks. And congratulations, very exciting news!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 11:26 am

Thanks Melanie, and please enjoy some Brussels sprouts for me! I hope to renew my affair with them soon. :)

Yasmin May 10, 2010 at 11:29 am

I am so behind in my gossip. This is the 1st I’ve heard of your pregnancy but I’ve been out of town so I have an excuse :) Congrats and I’ve heard all the horror stories on pregnancy. You’re in for quite a ride my dear!

Jennifer (take the day off) May 10, 2010 at 11:35 am

I am so excited for you! They say those first few months are the toughest and that the word morning in the phrase “morning sickness” is a total myth!

I am glad that you have felt so free with food, despite having to force yourself to eat sometimes. And how funny that the thought of almond butter makes you want to gag!

I can’t wait to hear updates and see pictures throughout the pregnancy. What a blessing and what an exciting time for you and CD!

Morgan May 10, 2010 at 11:39 am

You really will feel better soon. I promise! I am 18 1/2 weeks and I just started to feel like myself again. Enjoy this time and take care of yourself! Eat what feels right, if you can. A healthy pregnancy is important, but your mindset is just as important! You’ll be up to exercising soon. I don’t work out as intensely, but it took me awhile to get back into it too. Congrats!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Thanks Morgan and best of luck to you. So exciting. :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 10, 2010 at 11:41 am

I’m so flipping excited for you, seriously! Love you HEAB!

Amy May 10, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hi! Remember me? I’m so glad that we both have good news- I’m still a little early!

I have the same water issue- it’s driving me crazy. Also, I cannot to almond butter either, which is insane given how much I used to crave and enjoy it! I’ve been pushing myself through some workouts the past 2 weeks, but for the past few days I cannot bring myself to do it. The fatigue is insane- I also attribute the fact that I can mostly only eat bagels and toast- ugh!

Thanks for letting me vent… fingers crossed that this passes soon enough!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Amy, Yes, it will pass for both us! Just know I’m right there with you. :)

Katie May 10, 2010 at 11:46 am

I’m so sorry you’ve been feeling sick lately, though it seems a blessing in disguise, in a way. Relaxing rules is always a good thing (reminding myself here, too), even if we are forced into it.

I’m thinking of you, and hoping that things get better the second trimester. I love that you are eating what you crave and loving it!

Sagan May 10, 2010 at 11:46 am

I’m SO excited for you- congratulations, Heather, you’re going to be an amazing mum! Hang in there- I’m sure you’ll be feeling better soon enough.

jen trinque @ recipes for creativity May 10, 2010 at 11:46 am

Wonderful about the going with your cravings! I hope that once you’re feeling better and after the baby is born that you still feel as good and free around food!

JJ [greenbeanskier] May 10, 2010 at 11:48 am

heather, congratulations on the little HEABlet! such an exciting and wonderful thing. i will definitely be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers [and on my blog reading list] throughout your pregnancy and i pray that everything will go smoothly for you. i think you will make a wonderful mother for any daughter or son that comes your way!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 10, 2010 at 11:52 am

not trying to forsee the future but u may be having a girl. my mom told me when she had my two brothers.. she was fine.. maybe a lil morning sickeness.. but when she had me..she was nauseous all day and her docotr was worried at her low appetite. she ended up eating saltine crackers and a lil gingerale. so who knows it may be a girl.. i think its the influx of female estrogens/hormones that cause the lingering nausea. my mom’s went on for 4 months tho!! so hopefully thats NOT the case for you xoxo <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Kelsey, Yep, most people have told me* It’s a girl*. :)

Sarah R May 10, 2010 at 12:01 pm

It’s so funny how the body changes during pregnancy. I’m so excited for you and CD. I hope you get to feeling better soon. :)

lindsay May 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Sounds like youre enduring a lot but also learning a lot about your body and it WILL thank YOU later for it. Ever had a Belly Bar? They have a couple of flavors that sound good and are suppose to help with nausea. Praying for a better month!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Lindsay, I’ve heard of the Belly Bars, but never tried them. Thanks for the reminder!

Jenny May 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm

i’m sorry to hear about the morning sickness but it’s fascinating to hear about what the body goes through during pregnancy! being a university student, i dont know anyone who is going through new motherhood, and i can hardly remember what it was like when my younger sister was in my mom’s belly. wow. i sincerely hope you feel better, real soon! enjoy those m&ms!!

jenny (green food diaries) May 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm

JillyB May 10, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Feel better soon and congratulations! Glad you can at least have your yoga back.

Erica May 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm

oh Heather! You poor thing. I hope you start feeling 100% better! Keeping rocking with whatever food sounds good to you. I hope we can meet up over the fourth of July. I can’ t wait to see your little bump ;) btw- Josh is obsessed with crushed ice!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Erica, Yes, I hope we can meet up as well. Tell Josh, I’ll share my crushed ice with him. ;)

AmyJoGo May 10, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Aaaah. Sonic ice. You do know that they sell their ice by the bag full, right? Well worth the $2.00, IMHO.

Congratulations!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Yes, AmyJoGo, my mom bought me a bag. Totally worth the $2.00!

lissa10279 May 10, 2010 at 12:43 pm

So glad to hear you’re embracing this freedom. I think sometimes it takes an experience like this to really get ourselves to a peaceful place of moderation with respect to food. Best wishes to you and your bundle of joy! :)

charlotte May 10, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Yes, morning sickness is SUCH a misnomer! I was always worse in the evenings too. For me, exhaustion made the pukies 100 times worse so if I could get a late afternoon nap in then I handled the nausea a lot better. Hopefully yours will start to get better ASAP!

My sensory gauntlet was the meat/seafood counter in the grocery store. I couldn’t go within 100 feet of it without puking in the nearest garbage can. Strangely, standing in the coffee aisle and inhaling all the bean-y aromas made me feel better – funny because I don’t drink coffee and have never even tasted it (I’m LDS and it’s against our religion).

Anna May 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm

It’s so interesting to read about your pregnancy experience– every woman’s is so unique and individual. My sister had a REALLY hard first trimester, but after that, she felt amazing. I hope you feel better soon!! Good for you for listening to your body and just allowing yourself to go with whatever sounds good. And thank you for not quitting the blog!!! I’d miss it so much! :0)

Kayla May 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Congratulations!

I loved your post! I am just entering my second trimester too, and everything you said rings so true. I’ve been completely off my regular healthy diet lately too. Can’t stand the thought of a spinach salad and the like – but those poptarts do taste good.
Hope all goes well!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Kayla, I hope the same for you. I know – the Pop-Tarts. Oh my gosh, I’d forgotten how good they are! :)

Amy @ Second City Randomness May 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Congrats!!!! How exciting! :)

And I just LOVE Sonic ice. Mostly in their awesome iced tea… sometimes I’d order out food and go out of my way just to get that to drink along with my meal that was ordered elsewhere. True story.

Deadra May 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm

The great thing about pregnancy, is that it ends! They all do! (you’ll need a reminder of this in 5-6 months too!)
Have you heard about B vitimins and unisom combo? (for morning sickness) I have plenty of friends that it helped.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Deadra, I have. My doctor prescribed phenergan, and although I fought taking it for so long, it really does help on the nights I feel awful. Plus, it helps me sleep which is great since I kept waking up at 3 AM every night with crazy dreams.

zoe May 10, 2010 at 1:13 pm

first off CONGRATULATIONS! (i totally missed yesterday’s posting!) that’s really amazing news :) sorry you’re first three months have been so rough! but i’m sure it’ll all be worth it the moment you hold that little one in your arms :)

oh, and life IS too short not to enjoy a couple of peanut butter m&m’s every once in a while ;)

(p.s: first time commenter! love your blog — i’ve been lurking for a couple of months now!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Zoe, Good to hear from you. :)

zoe May 10, 2010 at 1:14 pm

first off CONGRATULATIONS! (i totally missed yesterday’s posting!) that’s really amazing news :) sorry your first three months have been so rough! but i’m sure it’ll all be worth it the moment you hold that little one in your arms :)

Melissa R May 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Very excited for you! If ever you need some positive thoughts or an opinion from a distance please let me know! I’m childbirth educator, Doula, Lactation Consultant and aspiring Midwife.
Much love to you and your growing family!!!
Love Melissa

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Thanks Melissa…I’ll keep you in mind for sure!

Carbzilla May 10, 2010 at 2:17 pm

So happy to be the 4 billionth person to wish you guys congrats. I sought out wireless in the hotel just so I could read up! I’m soooo excited for you guys but sorry to hear it’s been rough going – maybe that means the Heablet will be the most well-behaved child EVER. One thing for sure – he/she will be LOVED.

Kelly May 10, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I am sorry you are having a rough pregnancy but I have heard that just as quickly as the morning sickness comes it also goes away just like that. Having never been pregnant myself…that is just what I have heard. My thoughts are with you and I hope it passes quickly! I will say though that this pregnancy is almost a blessing in disguise because I love that you finally feel free around food! That made me smile when I read that! :)

VeggieGirl May 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm

HEAB, if I could make your sickness go away, I would – that little HEABlet better be appreciative!! ;) Hang in there my strong friend – you WILL get to the best part of your pregnancy and enjoy all things nutty again.

Wait… nevermind. Mind in the gutter.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:18 pm

VeggieGirl, Oh I can’t wait for you and CD to meet in person. Your senses of humor are so similar. Hehe. Luv you!

biz319 May 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Congratulations!! So exciting! I couldn’t stand the smell/taste of red meat and craved Asian food. My now 18 year old daughter hates red meat and loves Asian food – she blames me for not liking red meat because I never had it when I was pregnant with her! :D

Best wishes that your queasiness will subside soon! Cherish this time, it goes way to fast!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Thanks so much biz, and just so you know, I have been craving Asian food like crazy. All I want these days are spring rolls! :)

idreamoftahini May 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I totally missed reading yesterday and just found out today. How exciting. You know, I seriously was thinking one day not that long ago that I wonder when Heather will have a baby. Not sure why, it just felt like you and CD were due!!

Congrat’s

Melanie

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thanks Melanie! :)

Hannah May 10, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I’m so sorry it’s been a rough few months for you! At least it can only get better now, right? You are so strong and positive, Heather!

How has the no-exercise thing been for you-2 months is a long time? I have a groin pull and have to lay off exercise for who knows how long, and I’m just wondering how you mentally accepted laying off the exercise.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Hannah, So sorry about the groin pull. Those are so painful – I’ve had 2. Well, in the past I’ve freaked out when injured and done everything I could to fit in some form of exercise even it meant jumping up and down in a pool. Yes, I did that once for an hour. Most boring 60 minutes of my life. Now, I feel completely different b/c A) I know my body is working hard taking care of another human, and that makes me really want to listen to it and take it easy. B) Since I’m not able to eat much, I have zero energy, and the thought of even going for a short walk makes me tired. It’s hard watching my arm muscles turn to mush, but I know I’ll gain all the strength back in due time. For once in my life, it’s no longer about me.

j May 10, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Now that is love!!!! I hope you are feeling better soon!

julie May 10, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I think you should treat yourself to a Sodastream!!! It’s amazing in my house and now all I drink is sparkling water and other carbonated beverages that my soda stream fizzes for me. Give it a whirl girl.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Julie, Good idea! Should have asked for one for Mother’s Day.

malpaz May 10, 2010 at 2:57 pm

wowzers! i hope the day long mornign sickness subsides… my mom HAD to have a rasberry milkshake every single day she was pregnant with me from some diner at the end of our road. i can totally see myself being a cereal/banana whore when i am preggo as well! same with snickers… i think its the crunch

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 10, 2010 at 3:09 pm

My sister is pregnant now too and due in the middle of November. She has had the same problems with being sick at night after dinner Progesterone is fun stuff! Pregnancy is so special (read loads of sarcasm in that)! None of mine were the same (2 kids and 4 pregnancies). With the two I carried to full term…they were like night and day as they are human beings! Jay, the oldest, was so easy…no morning sickness at all…he is what we refer to as the good one. Max, the youngest, I was sick from the second I conceived and had a horrible cyst and a ton of pressure the whole time. I think you can guess what he is like now! I ate tons of pasta, bagels and potatoes with Max. I wanted nothing my carbs. I also loved cold bean burritos from taco bell. I could not come within a foot of starbucks or the bookstore (since the coffee shops are there). It gagged me so bad! Now, this is the fun part…when I was done with the pregnancy, I swear I ate so much cereal and poptarts. Every time I nursed, I ate two pop tarts. Sounds weird, but I think it was a loss of sugar from all the nursing. I also LOVED frosted shredded wheat. I ate it dry, while I was nursing because I was so hungry! The funny thing was that I was eating all of that and loss the most weight I ever lost. I am smaller now than I was as a kid! It is an adventure, some good, some bad, but these are memories and times that you will never get back and you should cherish each and every one of them. You and Chris deserve the best and I am so happy for you both! Now, take it easy and take care of yourself and that little one!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Sarena, Oh my gosh, I am eating frosted mini-wheats dry all the time. I buy the Trader Joe’s brand – and they are so good. I think you’re right – my body is so hungry and just wants instant calories…read sugar and carbs. So, that’s what I’m giving it. Hey, there’s some fiber in there, right? I’ll make sure to stock up for post-birth snack attacks. :) Good to know you lost the weight…I’ll be honest. I’m a bit nervous about that whole part.

homecookedem May 10, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Oh goodness, sorry you’ve been having such a rough start to your pregnancy, but hopefully now that you’re in your 2nd trimester things will only get better!! I’m just so happy for you!! When did all of your knew food preferences/dislikes, etc. start? Right away?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Homecooked Em, They all started around week 5 or 6 and got really bad from weeks 7 to 10. I’m able to eat a bit more variety, but there for a while it was nothing but Saltines, turkey dogs, and Pop-Tarts.

cheerchik52 May 10, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Oh Heather I know just what you’re going through! I had a TERRIBLE pregnancy!

I remember trying to gag down plain toast and saltine crackers, because my doctor told me I had to eat something. Even the prenatal vitamins made me sick. Eating didn’t get any easier until the end of the Second Trimester. Except for the occasional Peanut or Almond M&M’s. =)

At that point I was put on bedrest (bathroom privileges only/lying on my left side with a pillow between my legs.) I was in and out of the hospital for the remainder of the pregnancy. It was a day to day worry of whether or not the baby would make it. We had to go in for monitoring and ultrasounds a few times a week. (An hour drive each way.)I also was sick everyday..I even got sick the morning I went in to have him. haha

It was the hardest 6 months of my life!!! Yet, when my little man came out everything I had been through instantly melted away. (btw the labor and delivery went very smoothly! Hopefully the same goes for you!) Now my “Baby” is 9 1/2!!! Can’t believe how fast they grow up! =)

I hope things get better for you! Our bodies are stronger than we know, and capable of amazing things! As tough as things are now it can only make you stronger! I wish you the very best for smooth sailing the rest of your pregnancy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Thanks Cheerchik! Sorry you had such a rough time, but definitely sounds like it was worth it in the end. :)

Megan May 10, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Omg heather, I TOTALLY predicted this! As soon and Jim & Pam had a baby, i thought “this is a precursor…” lol I knew it! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Megan, I love it. Good to hear from you! :)

Marissa May 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Eat what makes you feel good! And you know what I mean, not because of emotions…but because that is what your body is telling you that you need. There of course is a difference and you know that I know you know that ;-)

I have a little box of goodies to ship to you this weekend.

Question, and I hope I don’t make you gag by mentioning this, but how are you doing with curry powder? I have a bag of some pure magic, but if the scent is too much for you right now I can double pack it in a ziploc. You can enjoy its magic when you are feeling more settled.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Thanks so much Marissa. :)

Um, I don’t know – haven’t been around curry much lately, but I think I could handle it in a few weeks as I am curry freak most of the time.

Katherine: What About Summer? May 10, 2010 at 4:34 pm

you’re going to be such a good mom; I can already tell by your ability to go on intuition! things will work out for the best :)
Katherine

Leanne May 10, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I am do excited for you. I am a blog lurker, finding your blog ESPreading your breakfasts made me feel more “normal”. I wish you the best. So excited to read about your journey.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Leanne, Normal is not much fun you know. Thanks for reading. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 10, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I hope you feel better soon!!

xo
K

Lola May 10, 2010 at 4:51 pm

It’s so weird when you have a healthy appetite and it suddenly vanishes! Mine vanished this week (for completely different reasons, hehe, I broke up with my boyfriend) and all I could eat was coffee and cake icing. So weird, since every other time I’ve been sad or depressed in my life I have gone the other way and binged the hell out of my kitchen!
Oh, so much rambling, sorry, I just wanted to say I’m so happy for you, I’ve been reading for over a year and you are so amazing, and you and CD make such an adorable couple! :D
I send you all my good vibes and lots of love and good wishes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Lola, Sorry about the break up. :( Hope you’re feeling better soon!

Hannah May 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Thank you Heather for your reply!! I appreciate your honesty and inspiring advice!

Michelle May 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Oh I can so relate to the nausea and all that fun (insert sarcasm) stuff. I hope the see light at the end of the no-m0re-nausea tunnel soon. I think mine eased at about 14-16 weeks.

It is crazy how you start to have strong cravings. With my third, it was citrus fruits and pineapple and I swore I was having a boy (had two girls already) but nope! another girl! lol

Now is definitely the time to do what you are doing and relax the food rules and go with the flow. I am certain there will be lots of your usual healthy fare in the midst of your “fun” foods …
:-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Thanks Michelle, Craving citrus like mad. Just ate the most amazing naval orange, and I want about 5 more! I’ll make we have a girl’s name picked out! ;)

Fran May 10, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Heather,

I’m a few weeks ahead of you it seems, and I totally feel your pain! The first 3 months I couldn’t exercise, could hardly stand to eat anything, and I literally cooked about 3 times that whole trimester. Honestly, my sense of smell was so strong that if my husband opened the refrigerator and I was on the other side of the house, I would gag. He thought I was crazy until he heard about other pregnant women and their “spidey senses!” :) Anyway, just thought I would encourage you that for me, it got better about the 14th week and significantly better about the 17th week. I’m almost at 19 now, and I feel back to myself for the most part. The energy returned (finally!), and I have a really strong appetite now. Just keep eating and maybe have some Gatorade on hand if you start to feel like you’re going to faint.

Funny side note — I had a suspicion you were pregnant when you mentioned your Tuesday night, small Yoga class that was meeting in the month of May. I almost registered for that class (yup, fellow Nashvillian), and I said to myself, she’s taking the prenatal yoga class I almost took! How is it? I actually wish I had remembered to sign up!

Okay, done with the novel now. Blessings! :)

-Fran

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Fran, Thanks so much for the email – very encouraging as I’m about to enter into my 13th week and so ready to feel like my old self again! CD has been very patient with my sense of smell and knows not to come near me if he’s even eaten that might make me ill. Poor husbands.

Oh my gosh, you should totally come to Bethany’s yoga class. You can pay per class, and it was just so wonderful to be surrounded by other mom’s to be. Each week, there will be a guest speaker at the beginning of class, and then we do about an hour of gentle yoga. You should try it!

Kellie May 10, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I have three little ones and I can tell you the 2nd trimester is awesome. You feel better, have energy and food tastes absolutely wonderful. You probably won’t crave the things you did pre-pregnancy, but whatever you do crave is what your body needs. You also start showing and have a cute little bump. Take care of yourself and do whatever your body tells you. If that means laying on the couch with peanut m&m’s all day, so be it. Congratulations.

Julie May 10, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Heather, I’ve been following your blog for a few months and want to welcome you to mommyhood!! I read a lot of food blogs that are written by women who aren’t mothers and have not gone through the joys and trials of pregnancy. It really does challenge your food rules, exercise rules, body rules, etc. I ate things my first pregnancy I would NEVER EAT when not pregnant (Coca-Cola and Happy Meals, anyone?) I am pregnant again, a few weeks behind you (due date for me 12/1) and I am right there with you. I went from eating Ezekiel toast with almond butter for breakfast to an entire bagel slathered with cream cheese. And forget coffee which I love, can’t stand it now. All I want is really cold juice. Just wanted you to know you are not alone. Hang in there and congrats to making it to the second trimester. Happy Mother’s Day!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 10, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Thanks Julie – so comforting to hear and many congrats to you as well. :)

karina May 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Congrats!!!!!

Natalie May 10, 2010 at 6:30 pm

The good news is, you definitely should start to feel better soon! And pregnancy is weird but you’ll get back on track with your normal eating habits in the weeks to come . The veggies got a little easier after 1st trimester, but still I have weird cravings and things I just can’t eat. I’m sorry you had a tough 3 months, I hope the next 6 are smooth sailing! You are taking everything very well :)

Marcia May 10, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Aw, congrats!! I missed yesterday’s post. I’m sorry you are feeling like crap. I have an iron stomach, and I had nausea the first few months too, and zero energy. The gym? They didn’t see me until week 14. I could NOT get out of bed in the morning. But trimester #2 was awesome…all the energy came back. (My neighbor is in first trimester right now with her 3rd, so she’s reminding me of what it was like.)

I’m so excited about the little HEABlet! Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy. I hope you feel better very soon!!

ida May 10, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Sorry you’ve had such a rough go. I hope the next trimester is much easier on you. Thanks for sharing your experience, I can’t wait to hear more about HEABlet!

Justine May 10, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I am just now reading about your pregnancy! Congratulations! I hope that things get a little easier for you in the remaining months and I can’t wait to read about your new journey! Have a fantastic day, Heather.

Danielle May 10, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I’m sorry the past few months have been so rough :? I’m glad you’re going with your cravings & enjoying it though… I hope you start feeling better soon!

babyspinachsteps May 10, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I’m officially delurking to say congratulations on the HEABlet! What an exciting time for your little family. :) You’ve been such an inspiration to me as I’ve been learning my body and what food/fitness fits it best. All the best to you. I can’t wait to read more about your new little adventure. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 7:59 am

Thanks babyspinach. :)

Shannon May 10, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I am so happy for you and Chris! I’m just two weeks behind you (due December 3rd) and I think we’re the same age (I turn 35 June 15th). Sorry to hear about your challenges. I couldn’t stand to eat chicken in any form with my first pregnancy and now I am having a difficult time eating salads with this one. I am looking forward to hearing more updates about the little HEABlet. You are going to be a great mom.

Holly May 10, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I just went through something very similar with not having an appetite. I had to go from only eating super healthy to eating fattening foods in order to keep my weight normal. It’s was so strange being able to just eat whatever I wanted! The rare moments I did get hungry were quite enjoyable. Brownie sundaes and fries free of guilt :)

Holly May 10, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I just went through something similar where I used to eat super healthy and be strict and then lost my appetite and had to relax the rules and eat some fattening foods. It was so strange making the switch! However it was nice, the few times I did have an appetite, to be able to eat things like brownie sundaes or fries, free of guilt :)

Jenn May 10, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Oh No Heather! I’m sorry to hear about your appetite problems, but it must be good to know you have a little herblet in you! I can say that I know exactly how you feel oddly enough, (Not the pregnant part ha-ha) But the whole appitte thing, I have major stomach problems, and morning and afternoon are completely fine, but no matter what I eat after 5 it KILLS, not only does my tummy hurt, but I get very nauseous, the thought of ANYTHING makes me want to vomit, no one in my family is allowed to watch food network at night anymore! Hopefully it will go away, I’ve seen tons of doctors but nothing has seemed to help so far! They say it might because of my cycle issues, haven’t had my period in a while, and I’m only 16.. So hopefully I will get it soon, one day I would like to have my own kids! NOT SOON, but someday! Anyways hopefully you get better!!! but for now you can at least enjoy your m&m’s! Mmmm …..

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 8:15 am

Thanks Jenn, and I hope you are feeling better soon. Next time you feel nauseous at night, just think of me down here in Nashville. We can send each other positive vibes. :)

Holly May 10, 2010 at 8:34 pm

ps sorry for the double post, looked like the 1st one didn’t go through so I wrote another one!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 8:15 am

No worries Holly. Guilt-free sundaes? I like it. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 10, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Hi Heather, I will post this publicly b/c I dont want to inundate your inbox privately even more…but I had the worst 1st six mos of preg ever. I was horrifically!!! sick at least 10x/day for 6 mos. It was horrible and there was nothing I could do or anyone could do…acupuncture, herbs, eat this, dont eat that, lay down stand up, you name it, nothing helped. I lost about 10 lbs the 1st 3 mos. After that, I clocked in at term about 17 lbs more than my baseline weight. Skylar was 6 lb 7 oz at 38 weeks when she decided she wanted to come out. All natural delivery, super easy, beautiful, perfect.

All those months of being sick I wondered what I had gotten myself into, I prayed to god to let me live (there were moments I threw up so violently and for so long my mind would play tricks on me) that I was seriously going to die. I wondered why I couldnt be one of those “happy bubbly rosy glowing pregnant women”…no. Not at all. I didnt exercise for 4-5 mos other than very, very gentle walks. Even yoga would make me throw up.

Trust me when I say, I have been there. It is the hardest thing ever. I love you and am cheering you on. It does get better, but that is no consolation now.

BTW I am a certified lactation educator and if you EVER need anything breastfeeding related, please ask me… I nursed Skylar til she was 3 yrs old :) and got my credentials from UCSD. I am passionate about human milk for human babies and helping the dyad succeed in that goal :)

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 8:19 am

Thanks so much Averie. Yes, I remember reading that you were sick throughout most of your pregnancy. I’m definitely feeling better during the day, but nights are still horrible. At least I can just go to bed and sleep. I’ve tried everything to, and nothing really works. As long as I don’t each a huge meal at night, I can fall asleep pretty easily but then usually wake up around 2 or 3 AM. I just can’t wait to feel normal and sleep normally again.

I definitely want to breast feed, and I’ve heard the hospital where I am giving birth has a wonderful lactation staff. However, you will probably be hearing from me as well. Thanks so much for your support!

granintraining May 10, 2010 at 9:02 pm

YOU ARE SUCH A TROOPER HEATHER! Congrats on the little pea!!!!

Quix May 10, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Oh my! Congrats! I had house guests earlier this year for a month and a half – she was pregnant and couldn’t eat ANYTHING she normally loved – she was living on milk and ice cream and a few other things. Then she got into her second tri-mester and felt MUCH better, so hopefully you do too!

Daniela May 10, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Oh honey! What a rough ride. Thanks for sharing all of this with us. Two years ago I lived with a midwife who once a month invited all of her mom’s to-be and new moms over for a pot luck. We would all sit in a circle and each would tell their pregnancy and birth stories. Now I grew up in an open household but wow! I was never exposed, for whatever reason, to the realities of this process. Women are freaking worriers is all I’m saying :-) I had never ever heard the details involved in the pregnancy process and immediately called my mother to hear my own birth story! For me as a young women it is WONDERFUL to hear these stories and to have a better idea of why we are built the way we are.
All the best to you and keep blogging my dear! It’s good for you and great for us.
Congrats you two!
Daniela

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 8:12 am

Daniela, Wow, I wish I could have been there for one of the potlucks. What a cool experience for you!

Cherie May 10, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I sure hope you’re feeling better real soon Heather, so you can start to enjoy the pregnancy . My dear sweet husband would go out during my morning sickness & get me egg drop soup or Greek spinach pie (pregnant with twins & I guess my body knew I needed extra iron). So my point is, I’m glad to see you listen to what your body tells you it needs! Take care honey!

LesleyG May 10, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Do they sell the Sonic ice in bags in Nashville? They did in North Carolina and I think that’s the only thing that got my sister through most of her pregnancy. That ice is magical. :) I hope you get a break soon– I am sure it’s just around the corner! It has got to be a strange feeling to feel so awful and yet happy and thrilled at the same time. Hang in there, girl! Love from Colorado!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 8:10 am

Thanks LesleyG, Yes, they do sell the ice from Sonic. My mom bought me some, and I agree. I don’t think I could have gotten through these last 3 months without it! Please breathe in some of that CO air for me!

Christopher Ian Hill May 10, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Heather,

What a great friend you are! I never thought I would see snickers, M&M’s, and Sonic in your blog! LOL :) Yeah, just eat what you can and what you crave at the moment – you’ll be OK. :)
I am sure in the future you will be back into your regular daily schedule soon.

I have been having a weird things happening to my body for the last few weeks. First, I thought I had some bladder problem, that turned out fine…then hives and itichy rashes and chest pain….grrrrg. The chest pain was caused by medication for the rases…and I don’t have to take that anymore…I would rather have the rashes then the chest pain side effect. Now, being unemployed I have massive medical bills….I have no idea what I am going to do…I think this is where I need to learn what faith really is and pray God will provide for me.

I’ll keep you THREE in my prayers. :)

Chris

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 8:09 am

Chris, Thanks for the encouragement, and so sorry about your problems lately. Skin rashes are often food allergy related. Pay close attention to what you eat when you get a rash, and I hope you’re feeling better soon. Also, something will work out with the medical bills. I know it will. :)

Danielle May 10, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Congratulations!! I’m so sorry that things have started out so painfully, but I’m sure you will do just fine! It’s great that you can start doing yoga again. That sounds like a triumphant step in the process! I can’t wait to hear how everything goes and to see your little HEABlet! :)

Emmanuelle May 11, 2010 at 2:29 am

Wow! First congratulations to you and CD! I don’t comment a lot on your blog but how can’t I now?
Sorry that you’ve had a rough time so far with your pregnancy, I hope you will get better soon :-)

hayleycepeda May 11, 2010 at 4:29 am

Heather I’m so sorry it’s been eons since i last commented on your blog!! I wanted to say a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS and BIG hugs on the new life growing inside of you!!!! How far along are you now? I’m actually due on September 16th, and man can I ever relate to the first trimester woes. I was always saying, “Who invented the term ‘morning sickness’?!?!” I was nauseous and throwing up ALL DAY LONG!!!

I’m so glad you’re feeling better – the second trimester is AMAZING!! When your energy levels return you’ll feel like a new person. You look gorgeous as always and again – congratulations!!! I’m so happy for you!!!

hayleycepeda May 11, 2010 at 4:31 am

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that one of the things I loved most in the world (hot tea) was something I couldn’t stand in the first trimester. I hated the taste of that, salads, and most other things that I used to eat frequently. Fruit and carbs (English muffins, cereal, etc) were the only things I could stomach, but fortunately enough that changed!

I thought the emotional stuff was overrated until I started experiencing it – I’d be happy and laughing one second and then the next I was bawling over the fact that Chris didn’t seem to care that I was hungry!! Heheheh….I would say things like, “You don’t care about me at ALL!” The poor guy was like, “Holy hell…what did I do?!”

Sorry – I didn’t mean to make this all about me…just sayin’ that I can relate. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 8:07 am

Hayley, Yes, I’ve been following your pregnancy on your blog, and been dying to tell my news you for so long. You are several weeks ahead of me as I am due Nov 18 and almost 13 weeks along. I think of you every time I go to Costco to stock up on grapes. I cannot get enough of them these days. Looking forward to having more veggies back in my life, but for right now, it’s mostly fruit! So glad to hear you are feeling better. I honestly have no idea how you taught Jazzercise throughout your first trimester – I don’t even have the energy to take walks. You inspire me, and so excited for you and your husband and your little baby girl! Oh, and yes, the emotional component is rough! Two nights ago, I burst into tears b/c CD ate half the cantaloupe I’d cut up. Poor guy – he now knows to save the fruit for me. Hehe.

Ana May 11, 2010 at 4:46 am

Heather this is so exciting! I am sorry you are feeling weird now, but believe me, it will go away! The first three months are the hardest ones, I also was nauseated the entire day (mornings were worse and usually when I was hungrier!), could not even smell many things and there were times I didn’t even want to think about cooking.
Funny you said because I ate lots of cereals, sometimes for breakfast and then for dinner as it was all I could stomach. And cold milk with nesquick, which I don’t usually drink, I like hot milk way more, and with real cocoa, but nesquick was so great tasting when I was pregnant.
I was so tired and so sleepy on the first few months, it was impressive. I am not one to nap in the afternoon but when I was pregnant if I found a couch I would plop on it and just take a 15 minutes nap anytime.
But after the 4th month things started to feel much better! I had tons more energy and it was wonderful to go for walks, I had so much more energy. During my 5th and 6th months I was so energetic and feeling so good that I could not believe it. There were still a few things I could not eat though, but for most part I could take a few bites without gagging!
The one thing that stuck with me during the whole pregnancy was the emotional part, omg, I never cried so much in so little time. Anything would make me cry, tears would come out for the silliest things, it may sound funny now, but at the time when I cried I was really sad :-)
That was one thing that my husband said after we had our son “thank goodness the crying is over”!!
I am sure you will feel much better pretty soon and will enjoy your walks and yoga and everything else! And wait until that baby start moving around, it is the most amazing feeling of all!
Take care and enjoy your time, I think that we women are lucky to be able to feel all this magic inside us!

A @ Please Don't Eat Me! May 11, 2010 at 7:12 am

first of all, this is my first time commenting, although i have read for a little while! ;)
congrats!!!!!! such an amazing gift!!
and then the “all day sickness”, i had the same thing, i actually lived off chinese food for three months, because that was the ONLY thing that stayed down. no joke! that and iced ginger tea. now, i cant stomach the thought of drinking ginger tea, but at the time, it was the only beverage i can have!
eat what you can, and take the pre-natal vitamins, god only knows what our mothers ate and drank while pregnant with us, and we survived ;)
good luck!!!! it DOES get easier!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 8:01 am

Thanks A! Makes me feel better as I’ve had these really strong cravings for cashew chicken lately. :)

kalli@fitandfortysomething May 11, 2010 at 7:13 am

wow what a crazy three months! i do hear they are the worst though……i am sure you will start to feel great soon. how exciting!

Sarah May 11, 2010 at 7:36 am

Heather, once again I am behind on reading (and writing!) posts, so I JUST read about your pregnancy. Congratulations! I am very excited for you, and I am looking forward to reading more as this chapter of your life unfolds.

Jenny R. May 11, 2010 at 8:40 am

Whoa now. I haven’t been online in like 2 days and I can’t believe what I missed. CONGRATS! You’re gonna be the hottest momma ever. Hang in there girl ;P

Jennifer May 11, 2010 at 9:46 am

Congrats HEAB! What happy news! xoxo

jennifer May 11, 2010 at 10:40 am

Congratulations on your journey!I am so excited for you. You have been a inspiration to many people and I wish you nothing but the best! I love reading you blog!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 10:42 am

Thanks Jennifer. :)

elise May 11, 2010 at 11:18 am

i know i am behind in this but CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (times a million)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Thanks Elise! Hope you are doing well. I am behind too – need to catch up on what is happening with my favorite hippie. :)

meagan May 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Hey Heather :) I’ve been reading your blog for about a year now. I love it!

I just wanted to drop by and offer you some encouragement. I’m pregnant right now as well–due in early August–and also had a rough first trimester (until about 15 weeks). Tired, achey, bloated, swollen, e.m.o.t.i.o.n.a.l. and the only thing I could eat were Eggo waffles and refried beans and cheese. I think I drank a gallon of chocolate milk a day, which had always disgusted me. I also had no energy for the hard workouts or yoga that I did before. It’s mentally and emotionally taxing and discouraging, and I hope that you don’t ever feel ‘wrong’ for feeling that way.

But! I wanted to offer you encouragement that it does end, and you do start to feel better (hopefully!). The second trimester is so exciting. The third…well…it’s exciting because things are coming to a close, but my daily walk has definitely turned into the daily waddle :)

Hope your pregnancy is filled with much joy and happiness, Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Thanks so much Megan. Oh the damage I could do to some chocolate milk right about now.

Best of luck to you. So exciting as Auguest will be here before we know it. Until then waddle on my friend. :)

Emily Louise` May 11, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Heather, what a gorgeous picture of you! Sonic has never looked so glamorous. So nice to see a bit of you lately… hoping that your sickness gives way soon. Obviously, the glowing has already begun.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Ha ha – thanks Em! :)

Claire May 11, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Wow, you’ve been through soo much these past few months! Keep strong and we are all behind you! And thank goodness for Sonic cherry limeade and cereal. Though you’ve lost some weight, your body will balance out; it knows best — and its great that you’ve been eating what you crave.

I’m sending good thoughts toward Tenn. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 12, 2010 at 7:11 am

Thanks Claire! Hope you are doing well. :)

Susan May 12, 2010 at 10:20 am

I’m still optimistic the worst is over!! Hopefully. Although, you know this tooootallly explains the baked potatoes for breakfast too. I used to eat 700 calorie bowls of cereal every morning too – except I didn’t have the excuse of pregnancy! :P

Sooo…. when do we get to start talking about baby names?? ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 12, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Susan, Yep, baked potatoes for breakfast. Yummy!

We have a girl’s name and a boy’s name all picked out, but we’re keeping them secret. :)

jqlee May 12, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I hope you are able to eat more now Heather. Its good that you are eating what you want and when you want it. 10 snickers? Haha, yes please. Like your doc said, it’s best that you get calories at least. I’m sure in no time you will be able to eat more foods. But in the meantime, I potatoes, omelets, fruits and all that jazz doesn’t’ sound so bad to me :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 5:17 am

Thanks Jglee. :)

Lauren @ Health on the Run May 14, 2010 at 6:12 am

Hi Heather — I know I’m a little late, but I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!! I’m sorry things have been going rough so far (though it sounds like you’re doing a little bit better now). Hoping that the remainder of your pregnancy goes well!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 14, 2010 at 6:13 am

Thanks Lauren. I am definitely feeling a little better these days. Just taking it one day at a time. :)

Still Life in Southeast Asia May 18, 2010 at 9:10 am

Hi Heather,

I am a lurker who was a little behind on your posts. I am so happy for you and CD. I hope your stomach returns to its old self soon. Until then, I’m glad that you’re pampering yourself.

BTW, you’re such a sweet person. Take care.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:58 am

Thanks so much Still Life. :)

Sonia May 19, 2010 at 5:28 am

I am so sorry you were (are) not feeing well! Pregnancy makes you and your appetite nutzo. I totally feel you on the no cooking for the hubs policy. My hubby was banned from making anything, unless it was grilled and he ate it and washed the plate outside, and for about a month I ate nothing but coco pebbles and water melon lol. It does get better though, even though it feels like forever! Keep listening to your body, and when you gain weight, just know that it will go away. I was soo strict with my diet while pregnant and barely gained any weight. This may have been the reason that I had so many complications, including the last month of mandatory bed rest, *slit wrists*). I was so mopey all I did was eat ice cream and watch twilight.

But then the baby is here and every thing returns to a new normal! You are going to be such a good mommy! I am so happy for you! Being pregnant sucks, but being a mom is awesome! <3 Much love!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 19, 2010 at 7:38 am

Sonia, I laughed that your husband had to wash his plate outside. I make Chris do the same thing. I read that your sense of smell becomes heightened during pregnancy, but I had no idea it would be like this. I’m feeling better during the daytime, but still really sick at night. Thanks for your encouragement – I know it will all be worth it in the end! :)

Rose May 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I somehow missed this post during my week of stress – congratulations Heather! You and CD are going to make great parents! I can’t wait to read about this journey and learn a thing or two so that I’m more prepared when the time comes.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Thanks Rose!

looksgoodinpolkadots May 20, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Oh Sweetie, first let me say CONGRATULATIONS. Baby’s are very exciting and worth all this icky crud!

It sounds like your pregnancy thus far has been very similar to all three of mine… I lost an average of 30-40lbs with each one (I had extra weight but still, pregnancy isn’t the time, or so the Docs told me). I wanted cantaloupe, melon, fruit, etc… all the time. My doc said, “that’s a weight loss diet” and sent me to a nutritionist. I didn’t need to be told WHAT to eat… I just needed to eat what didn’t make me hurl!

I lived on (nasty, I know) Hawaiian punch, yep, that red corn syrupy crap, lemonade and plain potato chips… it actually abated my nausea, kind of. I too was sick all day… for the first 5 months or so. Then it got better and I started slowly gaining back some of the weight I lost.

Your bowl of cereal and bananas looks so so so good! :) Enjoy it while you can, relax and eat what your body will let you. I found the gummy vitamins helpful because I couldn’t swallow pills and their sweetness helped… we all turned out great in the end.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Polkadotmommy, I’m starting to feel like my old self once again, but nights are still bad. Your Hawaiian punch is no worse than the Pop-Tarts and Snickers I’ve been eating. Oh yeah, and I can’t stomach any prenatal vitamins either and am taking children’s chewable vitamins…they’re like candy, and some days I want to eat the whole bottle. :)

Leah June 1, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Hi Heather. Im about 3 weeks late posting a reply to this post! First off congratulations! Very exciting news! Being a mother is the best experience in the entire world. I hope you are starting to feel better? I had All Day morning sickness for the first 3 months during my 2nd pregnancy. I craved citrus fruits & chocolate LOL!! I bought those Sea-Bands you wear on your wrists & to my suprise they worked. Then about 3 1/2 months the morning sickness subsided.

I LOVE Sonic Cherry Limeades – my absolute favorite drink on the planet. The Low-Cal one isnt bad, but the full sugar one ROCKS!!

Ive not been eating very healthy lately & revisted your blog for much needed inspiration. Im writing down a grocery list & recipes to get back on track! Im trying to follow what you told me “High fat, whole grains, minimal protein, & reduce sugars” It works, I just need to stop being lazy with my eating habits. I suffer from the standard american diet! Its how I ate growing up so its going to take some determination to stop eating crappy! Thanks again for your awesome blog Heather – you are truly my weight loss inspiration!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 2, 2010 at 7:34 am

Leah, What a sweet comment to read first thing this morning. Thank you. :)

So good to “see” you again, and trust, I understand those old habits. I ate the same way growing up, and if that’s all your used to, it’s difficult to completely change your diet. However, you have some good tools, and you know how to use them. I think you’re going to be just fine. We all have our slip-ups. Never be too hard on yourself, and just get right back on your path. Email me if you ever need anything, and thanks for the encouraging words regarding the HEABlet. I’m feeling much better these days. Still having a hard time in the evenings, but so much better than being sick all day!

Cherry limeades…haven’t had one in days. I think I see a Sonic trip in my near future. ;)

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 3, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Congratulations! How exciting for you and your hubbie! When I was reading today’s post I was confused and was like, Did she just say she was pregnant?! I had to back track to catch up! Hope you start feeling better soon so you can enjoy this special time!

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 3, 2010 at 6:03 pm