OMG…It Melts!

by HEAB on May 11, 2010

This morning’s breakfast was lovely…

I cannot get enough eggs and fruit into my system these days. Strawberries and grapes – they are just too good! However, the most exciting item on this plate is hidden inside my omelet. Guess what it is?

Picture 1.png

I was so excited to see Evan’s beloved dairy free cheese at my local Whole Foods. Have you tried this daiya cheese yet? To all my vegan readers, you must find some ASAP!

Check out the ingredients…no soy or casein!!!!

Picture 2.png

And guess what?!? The stuff actually tastes delicious, and it melts. Check out the cheesy goodness in my ham omelet below.

Hands down, the best vegan cheese I have ever eaten. Thank you daiya for such a wonderful product.

Again, many thanks to all of you for your support and kindness over the past couple of days. CD and I both feel so loved. :)

Oh, and last but not least, it’s time to announce the winner of the Pledge for Better Health Whole Foods gift card

Picture 1.png

Congrats to Megan. Please email me with your address. Now you can go buy some daiya cheese. ;)

Annie@stronghealthyfit May 11, 2010 at 9:11 am

Mm looks great! I think I’m gonna make an omelet for lunch :-)

Beth May 11, 2010 at 9:15 am

Ohh I’ll have to look for that cheese! I’ve never seen it before in my Whole Foods but maybe I’ll find it if I look closer… :)

jenny (green food diaries) May 11, 2010 at 9:18 am

mmmm melted cheese! i would make a huge plate of nachos with black olives, guacamole, and salsa the first chance i can get… yummers.

also, those grapes look REALLY good and juicy.

Jamie May 11, 2010 at 9:48 am

I have just recently started reading your blog and I just wanted to let you know that its great!! I am working on getting healthy and loosing weight and you telling others about your journey is so helpful!

But I did have one question that is kind of random….over the past couple of days your omelets have looked delicious, but when I tried my hand at one while it tasted good it looked a little sad :( Do you have any tips on how you make your omelets?

Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 9:57 am

Jamie, First off, thanks so much for reading. I’m glad you found me, and best of luck to you with everything. Please never hesitate to email me with your questions.

Regarding the omelet, my process is as follows: 1) Whisk together 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites in my blender on low for a few seconds. You could easily just hand-whisk them, but I’m lazy and like how the blender makes them extra frothy.

2) Heat a greased skillet over medium heat and pour in egg batter.

3) After omelet begins to set, add cheese to center of omelet. Then once omelet looks almost cooked, fold over with a metal spatula and allow to cook until cheese is melted and eggs are thoroughly cooked, about another minute. :)

She-Fit May 11, 2010 at 10:00 am

YUM!!!!!!! I have never seen this cheese before. I’m definitely going to try this stuff out. Thanks!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 11, 2010 at 10:10 am

oh my that looks so incredible and healthy!!!! extra points for grapes and strawberries!! ur amazing love<3

operagirlcooks May 11, 2010 at 10:13 am

Wow, great to know about a vegan cheese that melts! Thanks for the review, HEAB!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 11, 2010 at 10:14 am

I have seen this cheese before and always wondered. It looks really good!

Tracey May 11, 2010 at 10:19 am

I’ve never heard of that cheese but next time I’m at Whole Food’s I will look for it. I just love melty cheese and not all cheese can be melted, much to my dismay!

Erica May 11, 2010 at 10:20 am

I’ve heard really good things about this cheese from multiple sources. I must try it. Eggs are fantastic. I could eat them for every meal :) Nothing like a massive omelet for din din. I’m headed to the farmers market later today and am hoping to pick up some fresh fruit

Diana May 11, 2010 at 10:25 am

Yep, I’ve read a lot of good things about this cheese, vegan blogs LOVE IT to death. We don’t have it here but I would definitely try it! :)

rachael May 11, 2010 at 10:27 am

I have yet to try daiya, but from all the rave reviews it gets, it must be good! Have you had Wayfare foods We Can’t Say It’s Cheese? It’s my favorite “cheese” and has a pretty good ingredient list.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 10:29 am

Rachael, No, I’ve never seen the Wayfare Foods brand. Where do you buy it?

Ameena May 11, 2010 at 10:29 am

I am so behind on blog reading…first of all congratulations!! I am so thrilled for you! Kids are so much fun…I have to remind myself of that fact these days as my 5-year-old drives me crazy. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 10:31 am

Thanks Ameena!

stacey May 11, 2010 at 10:32 am

I think that this is the cheese that my cashier was telling me about last time that I was at Whole Foods. I’ll have to keep my eyes out for it next time. I miss cheese that melts.

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini May 11, 2010 at 10:34 am

Hey Heather, I’ve been away for a few days so just wanted to offer my belated congratulations!! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 10:39 am

Thanks Rachel. :)

lheuser May 11, 2010 at 10:36 am

Wow. That looks sooo delicious. Seeing pictures of eggs makes me want an omelette ASAP! Too bad I just ate lunch….and I have to do a to-go dinner tonight. Maybe tomorrow, my omelette time shall come.

By the way, big congratulations on your little HEABlet news! That’s so exciting…I’m just catching up on my blogs from the past few days, and that definitely caught my eye. I’m sure you’ll be a great mom!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 11, 2010 at 10:37 am

That Daiya “cheese” makes me a bit queasy. It’s mystery cheese. I’d rather just eat real cheese.

Evan Thomas May 11, 2010 at 10:39 am

I’m glad you found it! And I’m glad I saved trying vegan cheese for the first time until I found daiya. I honestly couldn’t see another brand satisfying me as much as this one

eatmovelove May 11, 2010 at 10:40 am

Oh my that first pic of the omelet looks so “country-esque” -gorgeous. I picture a beautiful setting with trails and sun…my dream…
That cheese sounds good – gah – I need to move to the big city to get to WF’s haha but I don’t think I’m that big of a city gal – not small, but not big.
I love all kinds of cheese!! Dairy and all ;) Have you tried Rice cheese? – it’s soy and casein free – couldn’t you have that?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 10:43 am

Eatmovelove, I have tried rice cheese, but I think it tastes funky and doesn’t melt very well.

Johanna B May 11, 2010 at 10:40 am

I’ve been away from the computer and I just saw your posts about your FANTASTIC news. Congratulations on the little Heablet.

Sarah (cocoanutshakes) May 11, 2010 at 10:57 am

Looks like the perfect start to a day…eggs + fruit is such an energizing combo!

I just discovered FROZEN grapes…have you tried that?? Pop em in the freezer, it’s total heaven.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 11:05 am

Sarah, I love frozen grapes: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/04/10/sunny-saturday/. Perfect for summer!

Kelly Michelle May 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

I’m still waiting for it to show up in my WF but I’m excited you gave it a good review. How much does a bag cost?

Jenna May 11, 2010 at 11:00 am

I’ll have to keep my eye out for this cheese, it looks great! As does your breakfast. It is nearing my lunchtime so I am getting super hungry. :)

julie May 11, 2010 at 11:18 am

awww congrats to megan! she’s a lucky girl who should for sure pick up some of that cheeeeze!

hope you’re feeling better today girlfran ;)

Cynthia (It All Changes) May 11, 2010 at 11:23 am

Vegan cheese that actually melts. I need to reduce (but not eliminate) my dairy intake and this would be great. I hope I can find it at Whole Foods near me.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Cynthia, I found the daiya over by the tofu and soy cheese in the dairy aisle. Hope you find some as well!

Ana May 11, 2010 at 11:26 am

Yumm, that looks really good!
Eggs are great for pregnant women Heather, I have a nutritionist friend who says that every pregnant woman should eat one egg a day during those 9 months – and she is pregnant herself for the second time now!
I think that if there is a time to truly listen to your body it is now, you are so right to follow your cravings and eating what feels good (not that we have much to choose during the first three months!!). Sometimes our bodies let us know what it needs, we just need to listen closely.
Grapes, I ate so many grapes when pregnant, especially on the last couple months, I could not get enough and ate it every day, but I ate green grapes, and only the green ones, it was the happiest time of the day to sit down in the afternoon with a bowl of green grapes! (I remember I could sit the bowl on top of my belly at that point in my pregnancy!)

Ana May 11, 2010 at 11:27 am

Oh yes, and the cheese, looks so good, I will call my local whole foods to see if they have it there! (website says they do but I never seen it…)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Ana, Mine didn’t have it as of two weeks ago, but this week they did! I found it in the dairy aisle next to the tofu and soy cheese. Hope you find some.

Anna May 11, 2010 at 11:33 am

Wow– that looks JUST like cheese! I must try some– I’ve used Follow Your Heart vegan cheddar, but haven’t been too impressed. This looks awesome!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats May 11, 2010 at 11:36 am

I am just catching up on my blogs and saw your good news – congratulations!! I am not sure I have ever commented before, but wanted to send my bet wishes.

And isn’t Daiya wonderful? Makes being dairy-free so much easier :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Thanks Valerie, and yes, love daiya!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I saw the Daiya cheese at my Whole Foods last week but I haven’t tried it yet. I’m going to have to now! It’s so good to find products that make eating a vegan diet easier :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 11, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Yum the melty goodness looks good. I LOVE omelets!

Heather May 11, 2010 at 12:15 pm

WOWZERS…AND NO SOY! I can’t wait to try this, especially for our sons, who are on a gf/cf free diet!

Christin L. May 11, 2010 at 12:33 pm

How funny… I *just* bought some daiya cheese at my local WF a couple days ago after trying it at a local pizza place… it is A-MA-ZING!!!! I had some on top of a lentil chili I made yesterday… love it!

Kellie May 11, 2010 at 12:36 pm

That looks really good. My omelets never turn out and end up being scrambled eggs. Oh well, they still taste good.

Kaitlin May 11, 2010 at 12:36 pm

That cheese is AMAZING. It’s the cheese they use at my favorite pizza joint in CA, “zpizza,” which has an incredible vegan pizza.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Kaitlin, So jealous, there is one local pizza place here who makes a vegan pizza, but they use soy cheese which I think is kind of nasty. Enjoy some zpizza for me! :)

Heather May 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm

wow, that sounds great…and the best part is it’s melty! maybe when i do vegan a couple times a week i can use this and not feel deprived :)

Becca May 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Oh I’m so glad you’re finding good foods that you enjoy!
Feeling any better? I’m praying your pregnancy goes well!

Much love,
Becca

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Becca, Today is a good day so far. Just taking it day by day. Thanks for asking. :)

Danielle May 11, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I JUST bought some at the store! Now I’m excited to try it :D

Marina May 11, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I had egg scramble today, with spinach, leeks and cheese, amazing food.
Your omelet looks delicious!

Amy May 11, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Yum!! I want some of that cheese, I can’t have soy, and am trying to go relitivly dairy free. Of course Im way up in the middle of nowhere so we don’t have this yummy cheese subsitute :(

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 11, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Soy free/dairy free and it melts…I have got to get my hands on some of that! I love omelets with fruit on the side. That is my go to easy meal at night. I am excited about getting some cheese now. Have a great day Heather!

Dawn May 11, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I think you turned me on to this cheese awhile ago?? I love it!! I hope you are feeling better every day as the trimester turns! xoxod

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Thanks Dawn. :)

allison May 11, 2010 at 2:03 pm

yum!! i need to try that vegan cheese like YESTERDAY. my biggest problem with veg cheese is that it doesnt melt. yours look just like the real thing! so happy for you and your new little gift :) enjoy these next 6 months!!

Ilana May 11, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Ok. Ever since I became vegetarian in junior high school I have had a (sometimes-militant) opposition to all vegan-ized versions of dairy and meat products. But everything I hear about Daiya really makes me rethink this ban!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Ilana, Lift your ban…daiya is worth it! :)

Lisa May 11, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Wow! This must be a hint that I should buy some daiya products—-I just saw them minutes ago in the store for the first time (and resisted the splurge). Thanks for twisting my arm :)

homecookedem May 11, 2010 at 2:56 pm

That looks like a restaurant quality omelet!! Your presentation is so lovely!! :)

kelli May 11, 2010 at 3:02 pm

The cheese looks delicious, I just wish it had more protein in it!

Lola May 11, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Heather you are eating fruit??? woow!! hehe enjoy it :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Lola, I can’t get enough of it right now, and just rolling with the cravings. :)

Lara (Thinspired) May 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm

This stuff sounds dreamy :) The only non-dairy cheese I’ve tried is soy cheese slices…you know, the ones that look like the fake American cheese? I gotta say, as much as I usually love the taste of soy, that stuff is weird. It melts, but it’s weird.

I’m trying this next for my non-dairy moments :)

Kelly May 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm

That is awesome that it melts so well. I will have to look for that! Have you ever tried almond cheese? I love that stuff and it also melts surprisingly well!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Kelly, The only almond cheese my Whole Foods sells contains casein, which I try to avoid. However, I hear it’s quite tasty.

Melissa S. May 11, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Jessie from Vegan Minded raved to me about that cheese; i’ll have to see if i can find it…but now that i have real cheddar back in my life (oh cabot seriously sharp cheddar cheese how i love you) there is no going back!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 11, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Melissa, The daiya is good but will never compare to Cabot sharp cheddar. NEVER. :)

BroccoliHut May 11, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I’ve been hearing so many good things about Daiya! I might just have to bug my local WF to start carrying it…

Rose May 11, 2010 at 4:23 pm

My goodness! That most certainly looks lovely for a Tuesday morn!

purelicious May 11, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I also recently discovered the joys of Daiya- I stopped by this new pizza place Zpizza over the weekend and they have a vegan pizza that features Daiya cheese, so of course I had to try it, and I could not believe how good it was!!! So melty-melty and cheesy delish! I am totally with you on this. I can’t wait to pick up some myself so I can re-create that pizza I had, or throw some in an omelette like you did… totally out of this world for a vegan cheese!

Casey May 11, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I just tried the daiya cheese in cheddar today. Agreed it is soo good and melts amazingly.

devyn May 11, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Im vegan and I bought that cheese and HATED it :/ It did melt well, but it tasted like plastic to me

Brenna Kater, the Oceanskater May 11, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I use daiya in my recipes on my blog frequently!

MarathonVal May 11, 2010 at 5:34 pm

OMG!!!! I have had Daiya at restaurants but have been begging my WF to carry it… I’m so jealous! Enjoy some extra for me! ;)

Nicole May 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

honestly I always thought vegan/fake cheese was just….well, fake and gross. But looking at that ingredient list makes me feel like I can give it a shot. hell, you got me to try nooch, almond butter on my veggies, and many other interesting things so why not this too?
I’m SO glad you’re feeling a little better and getting some more food in you!! <3

Alisa May 11, 2010 at 6:46 pm

That omelet looks goooooood! I am so mad at myself, I forgot to look for Daiya on our last trip to Whole Foods. It is 45 min away and over a mountain pass, so I don’t get there very often. Darn!

Eat up Heather – whatever you are craving!

mrssturgis May 11, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Oh what a wonderful omelette picture! I’ve been lovin’ the eggs lately too… scrambled with cream cheese, in omelettes, egg salad, whatever :)

I’m glad you’re finding some things to whet your appetite for the little HEABlet! :) I’m so giddy for you! I have baby fever and me and the hubs are going to start trying in the fall. I literally CANT wait, and when I saw your post announcing your pregnancy, I squealed. Hubs was like, “Good blog stuff, huh?” :)

snackface May 11, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Daiya is AMAZING!!!! I ate a ton of it last summer when I worked for VegNews. We were obsessed!! Pizza with Daiya is…ridiculous!

ashley May 11, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Oooh that sounds awesome. I JUST tried out this dairy-free “cheese” dip that is made with oats, a few different oils, seasonings, nutritional yeast and a few other things. I found it at whole foods and it was suuuper tasty. I got the mexi-cheddar style. Here is the brand http://www.wayfarefoods.com/ The huz loved it too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 12, 2010 at 7:27 am

Thanks Ashley, Another reader was raving about the Wayfare spreadable cheese as well. I need to find some!

ashley May 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Wow this was SO interesting. Even though I’m not in the “want a baby phase” right now I am always intrigued to women’s experiences during pregnancy. It’s SO different for everyone! I’m glad things have eased up a bit and hopefully your appetite will be back soon. It’s crazy how the normal things you love are so completely horrible sounding to you now. No nut butters?? I can’t imagine!! At least eggs + fruit still sound good!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 11, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I’m really the last vegan on earth who hasnt tried Daiya yet. I have heard amazing things across the sphere bout it. I need to get on the wagon! Emailed you re everything else. :)
xo

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 12, 2010 at 4:24 am

Ahh awesome! I have wanted to find a soy-free vegan cheese, and I heard about Daiya, but was skeptical! I think I need to find it around here now!! :P

xo
K

Maggie May 12, 2010 at 5:30 am

I keep hearing about Daiya!! They have it at this pizza place by me called Slice and I will definitely get it next time :)

fitandfortysomething May 12, 2010 at 7:18 am

never heard of this cheese! must try it-it look great :)

Graygrrrl May 12, 2010 at 10:50 am

Looks so good! I love Daiya and always include it in care packages to veggie friends who aren’t so fortunate as to live near a Whole Foods.

I don’t know how they do it, but it is the best thing on eggs since forever!

Stephanie May 12, 2010 at 11:16 am

I am also in Nashville and have seen this at WF. I have been hesitant to try it based on looks, but now I cannot wait! Thanks for your wonderful review and congrats on your exciting news :)

{ 1 trackback }