Welcoming Back Some Veggies

by HEAB on May 12, 2010

Yesterday I met my former coworker and good friend April for lunch at Whole Foods. Love you A!

I got there a little early and surveyed both the hot and cold bars. As usual, so much to choose from, but nothing on the cold salad bar looked appetizing which is too bad considering it’s National Salad Month. As much as I usually love my salads, that’s not what I wanted yesterday. Nope, yesterday, I wanted Chinese food (shout out to Amy, my fellow Chinese food lover!)

Anyway, there was actually some Kung Pao chicken on the hot bar, but it looked kind of dry. So, I loaded up my cardboard container with braised cabbage, collard greens, and roasted veggies. Still can’t do broccoli or Brussels sprouts quite yet, but other vegetables seem to be okay as long I don’t have to smell them cooking. To satisfy my Chinese craving, I grabbed 2 shrimp spring rolls with chili dipping sauce from the sushi case.

Kind of like a salad rolled up in rice paper, no? ;)

Another odd HEAB combo, but very satisfying. I really should eat spring rolls more often. If fact, I should just follow Maggie’s lead, and make my own.

What about you? Have you been celebrating National Salad Month with a salad a day? For some wonderful salad ideas, please check Gena’s How to Build A Meal Sized Salad Post. I’ve got that one bookmarked, and I hope to start celebrating soon. :)

Happy Wednesday!

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 12, 2010 at 8:11 am

Ooh I used to get those spring rolls (well, the tofu ones). Haven’t eaten them in a while… maybe I should make my own too! Happy Wednesday, sweet Heather :)

P.S. I so just typed “Heater” heehee :)

Beth May 12, 2010 at 8:12 am

Summer Rolls are one of my all time favorites! I actually make them at home from time to time and have them on my top recipes page. Yum!

Maggie May 12, 2010 at 8:32 am

I have definitely been having a salad a day! Or at least lots of veggies a day (preferably semi-oily veggies). Love spring rolls. My WFs has ones that look exactly the same.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 12, 2010 at 8:34 am

Maggie, I bet your homemade dipping sauce tastes better than the one at Whole Foods. :)

Andrea May 12, 2010 at 8:49 am

Yum…those spring rolls look awesome. My favorite dipping sauce for those is a peanut based one….YUM!!!! I meant to tell you that the saving grace for me the first few months of pregnancy were lemons. I remember my husband and I going out to dinner and I ordered a plate of mashed potatoes (which I didn’t end up touching) and a plate of sliced lemons. The waitress looked at me like I was nuts. But they tasted fabulous! Haha!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 12, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Andrea, I’ve been doing the same thing with limes – cutting them in half and sucking out the juice. It’s really helped!

Jenn (GH) May 12, 2010 at 9:07 am

I love making big salads but I haven’t paid much attention to it being national salad month. :-)

Glad you are able to get some more veggies in.

Claire May 12, 2010 at 9:13 am

Yay! for Spring rolls!!Welcome back veggies:-)cc

Marina May 12, 2010 at 9:42 am

I’m glad you’re able to enjoy more veggies! I hope brussel sprouts will be ok soon too :)
I never tried that kind of spring rolls, only fried ones. I wish I could though :)

malpaz May 12, 2010 at 9:53 am

wow i had no idea it was salad month and i have been having a salad a day!!!!!!!!! my new fav dressing it olive oil, sauerkraut juice, mustard and gobs of greens lol

so jealous of Whole Foods…wish i had one to go get yummy fresh food at :(

jenny (green food diaries) May 12, 2010 at 9:55 am

im envious whenever i hear about your whole foods hot bars/salad bars in the states — the one here in toronto is nooooowhere as big with much fewer selections!

Gena May 12, 2010 at 9:57 am

Hooray for the return of veggies! I am SO sorry to hear that you’ve been feeling so ill, but believe me when I say that so many friends of mine have been through this, and say that the change from first trimester to second is like night and day!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 12, 2010 at 10:05 am

I don’t know if I could ever eat a salad a day with how much I hate veggies, but I do try!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 12, 2010 at 10:06 am

I thought of you last night as I roasted broccoli and Adam commented on how bad it smelled… not that you remind me of bad smells, but you know what i mean :)

Ilana May 12, 2010 at 10:14 am

A few months ago I wrote a blog post calle d”the girl who doesnt like salad” about howo I hate salad but I know they’re good for you. Fast forward to today, where I eat salad at least two meals a day because theyre simple, easy to throw together, and I’m a lazy cook. How things change.

Hooray for the return of veggies! Fingers crossed you keep improving :) I have a friend who, when pregnant about four years ago, was completely grossed out by the smell of any meat cooking, to the point that it triggered nausea and vomiting – to this day she cannot eat meat because of that.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 12, 2010 at 10:16 am

I love fresh spring rolls!!

operagirlcooks May 12, 2010 at 10:23 am

Glad you found some veggies that look good to you!

Kelly May 12, 2010 at 10:29 am

Whole Foods DOES make awesome spring rolls…the tofu ones are out of this world! :)

eatmovelove May 12, 2010 at 10:46 am

At least your satisfying cravings :)
National salad month? What don’t they have holidays for these days?!

Lara (Thinspired) May 12, 2010 at 10:48 am

I HAVE been celebrating, proudly :) Though my salads might be costing me more calories than I intended to save–salads every day has meant creative and fun additions to keep them yummy: feta cheese, fruit, nuts, avocados, meat…it’s more like a pile of lettuce with goodies on top. But maybe that is my definition of a salad? :)

I’m a fellow Chinese food lover, too! Though your Chinese food is just so darn healthy! I would have definitely gone for the chicken + rice ;)

Ameena May 12, 2010 at 10:50 am

I had no idea that there was a month dedicated to salads! I am definitely going to celebrate.

And I love Whole Foods spring rolls and veggie sushi. So fresh and delicious.

VeggieGirl May 12, 2010 at 10:51 am

A DELISH HEAB combo :)

The Fit Collegiate May 12, 2010 at 10:55 am

The WF’s in Nashville has the best salad bar and hot bar ever! My friends and I would rent Zip Cars just to go there :-)

Glad to see that you’re finding some foods you can stomach! It’s funny; whenever I’m sick, the foods that are normally so appetizing to me (oatmeal, fruit, etc) are suddenly incredibly unappealing. Instead, I gravitate toward food I never ever eat, like white bagels, applesauce, and toast with jam.

Those spring rolls look really delicious!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 12, 2010 at 11:00 am

I love salads, but the weather has been cold and miserable, pretty much turning me off from them right now. That and my tummy isn’t up for raw at the moment, but I did have salad for dinner last night. Great big salads are in my top 10 fav foods.

I’ve never had spring rolls, they intimidate me for some reason. The see-through thing is weird to me, lol.

Jenn

runningaroundnormal May 12, 2010 at 11:01 am

What a lovely lunch! Can you believe I’ve yet to have Whole Foods hot/cold bar? I know, I know…blasphemy!

Anna May 12, 2010 at 11:01 am

I didn’t know it was national salad month!! That must be why I’m eating so many of them! Well, either that, or the fact that my pants have gotten a *wee* tight. :-)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas May 12, 2010 at 11:01 am

Those spring rolls are so hard to find! My husband and I have been looking for them everywhere, but always end up with a fried egg roll.

We just found them in a local restaurant, and now here they are, on your blog!

Such a lovely and delicate way to eat veggies, I think.

So glad you’re getting your salad tooth back. Yay!

Emily May 12, 2010 at 11:13 am

Mmmm….Whole Foods hot bar! I visited for the first time ever on Monday and was awe struck. I didn’t even make it to the sushi case, but I’m sure I will next time. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 12, 2010 at 11:20 am

Great picture, Heather! You look so happy…you are definitely glowing! I have yet to try the hot bar at Whole Foods. I am crazy over the cold bar. I just can’t help myself. You know I celebrate salad month every month…can’t ever get enough! I hope you are feeling well today! Enjoy the afternoon.

Randi May 12, 2010 at 11:24 am

Hi Heather!

I’m a long time reader but its my first time to comment. Just wanted to say congrats on your little one and that I’m due with my first little blueberry just two days after you – November 20th! I totally feel you on the veggies, it’s been a struggle for me to eat them too. My nausea is finally starting to subside, but the whole first tri the only thing that ever sounded good to me were milkshakes and fruit! haha. Congrats again mama!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 12, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Randi, Congrats to you as well, and happy to hear you are feeling better. Today has been a good day for me, and hopefully it will last through night!

To Kiss the Cook May 12, 2010 at 11:27 am

I now have a powerful craving for Summer Rolls. I was in Portland a couple weeks ago and was amused by the fact that one of the food carts had actually taken to calling them “salad rolls.” Ordered and scarfed immediately.

Lindsay May 12, 2010 at 11:42 am

I like to have a salad (or two!) almost everyday during the late spring/summertime. Lunch is usually my main meal-sized salad…I love having fun with it and switching up what I put in there. Somedays, I like “Mexican” salads; other days, I prefer Mediterannean, etc. Today, I made an spicy curry salmon salad with mustard and avocado that I placed on a bed of spinach. It made my tummy so happy! :) Yay for veggies and salads!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Ha – I just had a salad for lunch just now and a salad for dinner last night, but I didn’t even know it’s salad month! I love salads but I wouldn’t say I celebrate them quite as often as I should, if ya know what I mean. Those fresh spring rolls totally count as salad though. :)

Katie May 12, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I might be biased, especially since i’ve never had WF spring rolls, but mine are better! ;)

You should definitely make them; they are so easy. Plus, no veggie cooking smells!

paijery May 12, 2010 at 12:49 pm

How on earth did I miss the post about u having a baby??!! Congratulations!! Sooo exciting!
Hope the veggie sickness thing ends soon :)

I almost always have a salad a day…but I didn’t know it was national salad month either! I’ve been living under a rock lol! xx

Heather May 12, 2010 at 1:35 pm

heather, you are seriously so gorgeous!!!! spring rolls are so good…such a great light snack or meal!

Kellie May 12, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You already have that pregnancy glow. I hope you start feeling better soon.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 12, 2010 at 2:26 pm

oh i know, arent they good. i love spring rolls!! super refreshing and simple!

A @ Please Don't Eat Me! May 12, 2010 at 2:28 pm

yay!!!!! :) sooooo yummy looking! im glad you found something to eat that was both healthy and totally satisfying! ; )

A @ Please Don't Eat Me! May 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm

hmm, i just linked over to myself, it looks like im a gospel music website? lol too funny, sorry to anyone who might visit and be inundated with gospel tunes.. hahaha ; ) i love it!

Mama Pea May 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm

How are you glowing already? I was green, pimply and bloated at your stage. You are radiant!

Lola May 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I’ve never eaten spring rolls, i didn’t know you could eat rice paper! how does it taste?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 12, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Lola, Um, it’s pretty bland – all you really taste are the veggies and dipping sauce, but the rice paper isn’t rubbery or anything. You should try it!

runnerforever May 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Meals at Whole Foods always looks so good but I am afraid to eat there because the bill can end up sooo high!

BroccoliHut May 12, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I guess I celebrate Salad Month 12 months a year…just the other day I had TWO salads as lunch and dinner. I love me some veggies:)

Melissa S. May 12, 2010 at 5:22 pm

love spring rolls! i love stuffing mine with tempeh and tofu…and when you get better maybe you can make your own nut butter dipping sauce! made one with sunbutter; nom nom!

julie May 12, 2010 at 6:15 pm

i’ve never had a spring roll before but ALWAYS wanted one! i’m going to wf tomorrow night for dinner so i’m praying they’ve got them going on there! what exactly is it??

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 5:20 am

Julie, Spring rolls are usually just veggies wrapped in rice paper. The rice paper is edible, and sometimes the rolls contain meat or tofu and are always accompanied by some sort of dipping sauce. Kind of like egg rolls, but not fried. I hope you find some tonight!

Jennifer May 12, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Wow that food looks SO good. I really need to start going to whole foods for lunch!

Jae May 12, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Im so jealous of those spring rolls, no lie. They look amazing :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 12, 2010 at 7:55 pm

You say former coworker and i am just being nosy but did you quit your job? Sorry if I missed this or if this is a way back former co-worker. Considering how you feel, and I know you work alot of late nights, and that sickness is worst in the evening, I give you props if you’re still there.

Love me some spring rolls, yum!

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 5:23 am

Averie, Yeah, I kind of just stopped working at the doctor’s office. I still fill in at the front desk if they need me, but I’ve been so sick that I haven’t worked there in about 3 months. Definitely taking a break from the massage therapy thing for a while. I truly love it, but each session takes a lot out of me, and I just don’t have that kind of energy right now. I’ll be back someday but will probably be working a lot less.

Alisa May 12, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Hmm, more of an Asian food addict here. Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean … if I could only eat Asian food I would still be a very happy camper. Unfortunately, the husband, not quite as much of a fanatic :)

Hmm, close to a salad a day – but that is my preferred lunch – a jumbo salad.

Pure2Raw Twins May 12, 2010 at 8:10 pm

We eat a salad every day, so I guess we celebrate salad day everyday ;) ok that sounds really silly but so true! LOL We just love our salads!

fooddiarychallenge May 15, 2010 at 7:34 am