Salad Confessionals

by HEAB on May 13, 2010

Morning. I woke up at 3:30 AM and couldn’t go back to sleep, and so you’re getting an extra early blog post from me today. :)

I celebrated National Salad Month with an early morning cereal salad.

My two favorite cereals these days (they change weekly) are Cascadian Farms Cinnamon Crunch and Trader Joe’s frosted bite-size wheats. Confession: I love sweetened cereals, but feel much better about eating them if they come from a “health food store” rather than the cereal aisle at Kroger.

Yesterday, I met up with HEAB reader Susannah for lunch at Mediterranean Cuisine. (Hi Susannah. Loved meeting you and hope to see you again soon!)

My hair looks big in this photo. Confession: I only wash and comb my hair 2 or 3 times a week. Otherwise, I just wake up and go. I don’t even keep a hairbrush in the house.

Again, celebrating National Salad Month, I ordered a hummus salad topped with lamb. ;)

2010-05-13_05.38.09.png

Confession: I always say that Mexican is my favorite ethnic food, but honestly, I only go for the chips, salsa, and guac. I really do think my heart belongs to Middle Eastern/Mediterranean cuisine as I could eat this stuff everyday!

Last night I kept dinner simple with a salad that actually contained some greens…although, I think pickles totally count as greens, don’t you?. ;)

My plate consisted of romaine, falafel chips. cherry tomatoes, a crumbled Garden Herb Sunshine Burger, and Annie’s honey mustard vinaigrette. Confession: I count out my chips. Always have, always will.

Yesterday, besides all my salad eating, I did something I haven’t done in over 2 months. I went on a walk, a glorious 45 minute walk with my 2 dogs. I was feeling good in the morning, and it was so nice to have some energy. However, I’m really feeling Tuesday night’s pre-natal yoga class today, more so than yesterday. We did a lot of squats, and my quads are so sore. So, I think I’ll take it easy today. Confession: Although I really have missed yoga, I’ve decided that 4 to 5 90-minute classes a week was way too much. Even 20 minutes of yoga is enough. :)

Anything you’d like to confess today?

Little Bookworm May 13, 2010 at 5:55 am

Love the salad, and I hope you are feeling better!

babycakes May 13, 2010 at 6:27 am

are those cherries on your shirt? So cute! It’s funny, nearly every time I think to myself how beautiful someone’s hair is, I find out they only wash it a few times a week. My OCD-inclined self still hasn’t been able to give that a go. And I love your “cereal salad” – so fun! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Babycakes, Yes, that’s my cherry shirt. It is so old – I think I got for about $10 out of some random teen-bopper catalog I got in the mail. However, I still love it. Thankfully, my hair isn’t very oily, and I can get away with not washing it everyday. The natural curl tends to hide the dirt. :)

Andrea May 13, 2010 at 6:32 am

Haha! I love your confessions! My confession is that as a healthy eater I still love my ranch salad dressing. Why oh why can’t I find something as good that’s actually healthy? I tried to make something homemade last night (you know the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, etc) and almost vomitted when I tasted it. Back to ranch today….I totally need to look into some healthy ranch alternatives. Any suggestions?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Andrea, Not sure. Never made my own ranch dressing. I love all of Gena’s raw dressing recipes, and she has one for ranch: http://www.choosingraw.com/california-ranch-sandwich/. Let me know if you try it, and if it makes you feel any better, I would like to swim in a pool of bleu cheese dressing myself. LOVE IT!

Beth May 13, 2010 at 6:42 am

I have heard such good things about that Cascadian Farms cinnamon cereal from so many different people. i have to find it!!

thedelicateplace May 13, 2010 at 6:44 am

replay confession: i wash my hair 2x weekly ( i use dry shampoo on pieces around my face if they look a little grimey) am i a dirty bird? no way! girlfriend showers daily but with long hair you gotta make some sacrifices and i don’t want to spend my life in the bathroom!

original confession: i love to practice yoga simply for the shakey-leg syndrome i get post session :D it’s a strange “exercise high” for me

fitandfortysomething May 13, 2010 at 6:48 am

i think i am gonna look at my cereal bowl much differently now……salad cereal :) cute!

Kelly May 13, 2010 at 7:02 am

No worries…I count out my chips too..otherwise I could eat a whole bag. Chips are my favorite snack food!! :) And I only wish my hair could look that good without a comb…I am trying not to hate you! Just kidding! ;)

Jaya May 13, 2010 at 7:20 am

Heather, I have a confession: ever since we got an ice cream maker (2 weeks ago) we’ve been having ice cream every night for dessert. My only regret about this is that I don’t have more people to share it with!

eatmovelove May 13, 2010 at 7:21 am

Pickles totally count as greens…;)

HEAB – how do you deal with “stalkers” and negative comments…not that you’d get any of course!! – but it seems if I post something it’s taken extremely literal and to death – and it’s “wrong” to vent…I’ve asked said person(s) to stop reading (they are not welcomed!), but I keep getting stalked – it’s disturbing and ruins your day and self-value… now I can see what AVERIE from veggies and yoga means…

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Eatmovelove, If you have one reader in particular that you don’t like, spam his or her comments, and eventually, Worpdress will automatically start spamming them.

Heather May 13, 2010 at 7:25 am

Love the fun fact about your hair! Mine is too fine and stringy to ever get away with something like that :( I so wish I could!

Susannah May 13, 2010 at 8:00 am

YAY! I had a great time, too! I made an awesome salad last night, too, and used my leftover falafel from lunch and some homemade spinach/artichoke hummus (along with the leftover hummus from lunch- you just can’t ever have too much hummus!). I haven’t heard of the Sunshine Burgers but they look yummy. I’m always looking for a new salad topping! Thanks again, hope to see you soon!

Megan May 13, 2010 at 8:00 am

Ha, the confessions I could make! I try to be healthy but I LOVE french fries. Yep, I eat them about once a week because I love them so much. I don’t wash my hair all that often either and sometimes I can’t stand to go exercise. There it is, those are my confessions.

Jessica @ How Sweet May 13, 2010 at 8:11 am

Cereal salad! Now that is my kinda salad. ;)

Anna May 13, 2010 at 8:13 am

Ahhh, long walks are so nice! I wish my hair would look like that if I only washed it twice a week!! Mine gets so greasy so fast!

Erica May 13, 2010 at 8:15 am

You are positively glowing. You look FABULOUS :) Preggers does you well. We are going out for a salsa and chip date and chipped ice date when I come fourth of July…its settled!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Erica, Sounds good – looking forward to it! :)

Sarah May 13, 2010 at 8:16 am

i have the same hair confession! i have thick wavy hair so it doesn’t get greasy until about day 3-4 after a wash…if i don’t need to wash why do it?! and my color lasts longer:)

Ilana May 13, 2010 at 8:16 am

I also don’t have a hairbrush! Wave hair like yours and mine just looks better that way.
Confession: I definitely skipped class to go to yoga this week. Sen-ior-i-tis.

Danielle May 13, 2010 at 8:23 am

I love your confessions & I wish I could get away with only washing my hair 2-3 times a week! Otherwise, it gets really greasy & you can def. tell when I haven’t showered lol

Confession: I never wash my produce. The way I see it…bacteria will make me stronger?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Danielle, I’m not a produce washer either, and I agree – just building up our immune systems. :)

Michelle May 13, 2010 at 8:24 am

LOL: Love the “see all the veggies” pointers!

And I agree with Erica, you are glowing (but you did before too ;-) )

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 13, 2010 at 8:27 am

Why would sweet cereal from a health food store be any better than a grocery store? It’s all just marketing.
Just like a bag of organic oats from Kroger would be the same as a bag of organic oats from Whole Foods.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Samantha, Exactly, the cereal is not any better, hence my confession. It really makes no sense, but if you slap *organic* on it and put in in the health food section, I feel much better about eating it. Totally lame as sugar is nothing but sugar, no matter what you label it.

VeggieGirl May 13, 2010 at 8:32 am

Today’s confession = I don’t feel like studying anymore for my final exam this afternoon. I just want to be DOOOOONE :)

christina May 13, 2010 at 8:45 am

i love your hair! so jealous of your easy routine!

i always say that italian is my favorite, but now that you mention it…middle eastern really makes me happy. i could eat falafel and hummus everyday. mmmm good.

Josie May 13, 2010 at 8:50 am

confession: i haven’t done even a second of pilates all week (no guilt, either). aunt flo is visiting, and last night i went to target and bought a dress and told myself it was cardio. but today is a “new day,” right??? ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Josie, Yes, today is a new day, but trying on dresses totally counts as cardio in my book!

Ser May 13, 2010 at 8:50 am

Confession: I’m going to be totally lurking here all the time now that you are pregnant. Congratulations! I hadn’t checked in here in a while. I love your blog anyway, but following your pregnancy will be so fun!

I love what you said about your pregnancy being freeing in terms of eating. I, too, found this to be true with all three of my pregnancies. I also began to have a lot more love toward my body once I witnessed the amazing way that I could grow a baby and birth a baby (all three times naturally, once at home).

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Thanks Ser. :)

Ameena May 13, 2010 at 8:51 am

I confess that I love your hair!

PS – When I was pregnant I was waking up at 3:30 to 4 am every morning and my mom told me I was getting ready to wake up every 3-4 hours with the baby. She was right! How weird is that?

Katie May 13, 2010 at 9:06 am

Pickles are green, ergo, they count.

In college I was obsessed with Frosted Mini-Wheats. They went on sale for $2 a box, and I bought 15! Yes, yes I did. Never got sick of them either! Love the idea of cereal salad, too. Hey, if Snickers salad exists…

My confession is the same as Danielle’s – I don’t wash produce. Unless I see obvious dirt. The one exception is organic heads of lettuce – why are they always full of dirt?!? The non-organic never is. Weird.

Mandy A May 13, 2010 at 9:18 am

Love the salad :)

I only wash my hair 2 to 3 times a week, too! It dries it out otherwise since it’s naturally curly. But since I get pretty sweaty in my work outs, I do get it wet when I shower and comb it through then… then blow dry it and no touching it till the next morning :)

skinnyrunner May 13, 2010 at 9:20 am

my confession: i eat way too much candy and need to stop! if its spice drops, i reason thats its ok to eat so i eat… the whole bag.

operagirlcooks May 13, 2010 at 9:23 am

Here’s my confession: I am eating breakfast right now, consisting of an ounce or so of prosciutto and an entire cantaloupe. Almost done. Whole melon in my tummy. Oof!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Operagirlcooks, I’ve been eating cantaloupe like crazy these days. No shame my friend, no shame!

Carolyn May 13, 2010 at 9:23 am

You would have to ask today…In the last 18 hours:

…I bought 32 large cans of Libby pumpkin
…I ate a 1/2 jar of sugar free baby sweet pickles in one sitting
…I drove 40 minutes each way just to spend $110 on a pair of shoes

and, I am addicted to Faygo SF grape pop mixed with equal parts SF AMP lemonade

…i feel much better now…

Jenn (GH) May 13, 2010 at 9:26 am

What!!!!! You only wash and comb your hair 3 times week??? Now I’m envious. ;-) You hair always looks so beautiful and flowing.

I’m a chips and salsa gal. Those things are dangerous for me!!! I also LOVE middle eastern food. I have middle eastern chopped salad that is the bomb. (I didn’t just say that.) But my FAVORITE food of all time is Indian. However I’m not very good at cooking it…yet. :D

andrea kotarski May 13, 2010 at 9:27 am

love your confessions!
i dont understand how you can only wash your hair so little!
maybe since mine is paper thin i have to more often.
how’d you get so thin with all the food you eat? did you diet differently atfirst
to lost it all? i’m trying the beverly hills new diet book and it is so hard!
thanks.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Andrea, Yeah, my hair is super thick and really wavy. It’s kind of dry and not oily at all, and washing it a lot dries it out even more.

I never counted calories when I lost all my weight, but I’m sure they were lower than the amount I eat now. I probably take in between 1700 – 2,000 a day, but keep in mind I don’t sit at a desk all day. Normally between walking, yoga, and my job of my massage therapy, I stay pretty active. Lately, I’m eating more carbs than normal, but I’m just kind of going with what my body is craving. I definitely have more of an appetite this past week, and I’m eating more these days.. However, this is a good thing as I lost 10 pounds during the first trimester of my pregnancy due to morning sickness. Again, just trying to embrace my appetite and go with it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Andrea, PS – Is the Beverly Hill diet the one where you eat 400 calories a day? If so, that is enough fuel for body. You’re putting yourself in starvation mode, which will only screw up your metabolism. My advice is to concentrate on vegetables and make sure you get in your fats. Stay away from sugar, all kinds. Stay active – walk and strength train. Just stick to whole real foods and don’t starve yourself. I would never recommend eating less than 1200 to 1400 calories a day.

Mama Pea May 13, 2010 at 9:34 am

Cereal salad?! BAHAHAHAHA. I’m the same way with my hair. I think in Nashville you probably blend in with big hair. Here, not so much.

Jenna May 13, 2010 at 9:35 am

Ah! I LOVE that cinnamon cereal. I can down a box in a few days. :)

Confession.. I currently have a bag of gummy worms in my desk drawer that I am sneaking into right now!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 13, 2010 at 9:45 am

Confession: Although for the past 4 months I have been trying to eat healthy being in culinary school, we are doing boulangerie this week. That means brioche, croissants, and cinnamon buns. Healthy what? Yeah, I’m indulging. ;)

xo
K

Carolyn May 13, 2010 at 9:47 am

OMG it’s 34 cans…

Tracy May 13, 2010 at 9:54 am

Sounds like you’re starting to feel a little better? Perhaps a light at the end of the tunnel? I hope so!!

I had trouble sleeping through the night during my first pregnancy, too. I think I was just so anxious…so many thoughts of what was to come!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Tracy, Yes, I wake up at 3 with my mind racing of everything I need to get done over the next few months. However, yes, definitely feeling better during the daytime. Nights are still pretty rough, but at least I can just go to sleep. :)

Maggie May 13, 2010 at 9:55 am

YES, 20 minutes of yoga IS enough! I learned that too.

Yay for walks. Couldn’t sleep either and went out for a glorious walk up Park avenue (I made it up 36 blocks before I turned around). Wow, some people are rich. I am happy with what I have though.

I love your salad confessionals.

My confession – I hid my scale this morning and do not plan on looking at it until after my wedding.

Olivia @ Blissful Runner May 13, 2010 at 9:55 am

Love your cereal salad! Confession: I’ve had breakfast for dinner every night this week. My sweet tooth has arrived, baggage in tow!

Lindsay May 13, 2010 at 9:59 am

Your hair is gorgeous…seriously. I have really curly hair, so I don’t wash it all that often either.

Here’s my confession: I sometimes pee in the shower to save time/water! :) Gross, I know…and don’t worry, I clean my shower often. I read somewhere that Rachel McAdams does this too, so that made me feel better about my dirty little secret. Green living ain’t always pretty.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Lindsay, Hahahaha – I often wonder if CD pees in the shower, but I’m afraid to ask. I’d rather not know.

caronae May 13, 2010 at 10:01 am

Confession: you are glowing. Confession: I also love sugary cereals a bit more than I should. Can’t keep them in the house.

Heather May 13, 2010 at 10:05 am

Love that mentioned only brushing/washing your hair 2-3 times a week. I’m telling you, it’s the secret to good hair! :) Whenever anyone asks for my “tips”, I reply: Do nothing. Absolutely nothing. It’s the way to go.

Confession: My favorite part about working at a natural food store is seeing all of the westside and Manitou’s healthy grocery choices. I’m a creeper. I love love love knowing what everyone else is eating!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Heather, Where do you work? Mountain Mamas? If so, I LOVED that little store!

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 13, 2010 at 10:06 am

confession: after swearing off artificial sweeteners about ten times in the last two months, i just bought a diet coke. boo.

Kimberly Lee May 13, 2010 at 10:13 am

I am glad to see that you are starting to feel better. Trust me, the 2nd trimester is called the “Honeymoon Trimester” for good reason – you can eat again, you have more energy, etc.

I have to confess that I totally justified an Oreo as being “healthy” since I slathered it in almond butter. It sounds like a really weird combo, but it was delish!

jenny (green food diaries) May 13, 2010 at 10:18 am

hehe HEABs. fine way to celebrate national salad month. love that term ‘cereal salad’! haha!
also: mediterreanean cuisine has my heart and all its valves as well.

Sarah May 13, 2010 at 10:20 am

Confessions: I often don’t wash my produce, I buy cups of fair trade green mountain coffee as often as I can without guilt, sometimes I just love a diet coke or some splenda, and I’m not sure if I ever want to call myself a runner again (I’ve been loving yoga for a year-and-a-half, and I don’t foresee that changing due to the freedom it offers me.)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Sarah, I can relate to ALL your confessions. I rarely wash my produce either – I know some people that scrub everything with soap and a scrub brush. My apples might get rinsed off with tap water, but that’s about it.

rachael May 13, 2010 at 10:21 am

I am a mediterranean food girl too. Hummus, artichokes, and kalmata olives make me very happy.

Confession: I bought a dress and a jar of raw almond butter last week, and I spent more on the almond butter than I did on the dress.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Rachael, Haha – I’ve had that same confession before.

Tyrah May 13, 2010 at 10:23 am

My confession is that we don’t have a hairbrush either, just a wooden comb.
I no-poo my hair every 2-3 days on the off days it gets a nice massage under the water in the shower. I love that you’ve said this, your hair is beautiful!

lindsay May 13, 2010 at 10:27 am

I do that with my hair too, mainly because I am “hair” lazy. I love mediterrean. I think its because of the tahini. I put it on EVERYTHING….thats my confession. ;)

elise May 13, 2010 at 10:37 am

i rarely brush my hair either. it looks identical to yours now.

cereal and i have a rocky relationship…we were too friendly, so now we are foes. i cant afford my box a day habit, so i am forced to buy from the bulk bins now in single portions.
i could survive on cereal alone for the rest of days without a doubt.

michelle May 13, 2010 at 11:04 am

Glad you are feeling better. A nice walk is always refreshing. I too love sweetened cereal, I just seem to have no control so I don’t buy it. Pickles are definetly a vege. Confession – I only wash my hair 2-3 times per week. Now if I could just figure out how yours looks so good without even brushing it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 12:38 pm

MIchelle, If I did brush my hair with all the curl/wave, it would not be pretty. Think finger in electrical socket.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 13, 2010 at 11:09 am

You are so blessed that you don’t have to wash your hair everyday!

Confession- I could have rode my bike into work a few times this week with the sunny weather but I made excuses :(

Ana May 13, 2010 at 11:19 am

The Hummus Salad looks amazing! I love Mediterranean food too, definitely my favorite ethnic type of food!
And hey, I count the chips too!!
Glad to hear you are feeling good and went for a walk!

Bethany @ Not Unless I'm Being Chased May 13, 2010 at 11:19 am

Confession: I have an aluminum water bottle that changes color when filled with cold water. Wanting to watch it change color over and over again might be the only thing that keeps me hydrated during the day. I am 5 years old on the inside.

dmcgirl37 May 13, 2010 at 11:33 am

falafels are soo good! what are falafel chips? I must know!?!

Dana <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 12:35 pm

dmcgirl37, You can read about the falafel chips here: http://www.falafelchips.com/. They are so good.

Evan Thomas May 13, 2010 at 11:56 am

I’d happily confess that I have no intentions of unpacking more today after running 14 miles.
And from the impression that I get, washing your hair 2-3 times a week after the baby comes will be a luxury

anutritionisteats May 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I want that hummus salad for my lunch!! YUM!
Congrats on the exciting news!!!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 13, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Ha – according to your definitions of salad, I think I eat salad 3+ times per day! We are very healthy. :) Totally agree re: sweetened cereals–it’s far superior to buy the mom & pop brand from a health food store. ;)

Amber at Berlinswhimsy May 13, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Since we’re on the salad topic, I’ll second a previous commenter’s confession that I do like Ranch Dressing. I try to make it ‘healthier’ sometimes and I don’t eat it often, but every so often I have to have it.

I could live on Middle Eastern/Mediterranean food, too. I love it. A few of my favorite cookbooks are Middle Eastern ones.

Meg May 13, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Congratulations HEAB and CD!! That is amazing news. I didn’t read any blogs for a few days, and missed your pregnancy announcement. You will be wonderful parents! It’s nice to hear that you’ve been able to start yoga again, and I hope the nausea will go away soon. Best wishes!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Thanks Meg!

saltytooth May 13, 2010 at 2:24 pm

My confession is that I pretend to like nut butters, but I really can’t stand them! Oh man, I can’t believe that I just admitted that! Especially on your site…I understand if I’m banned forever!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 13, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Saltytooth, Nope, to each their own. Nut butters aren’t for everyone – no worries.You are welcome here anytime! :)

Justine May 13, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I love your HEAB versions of salads :)

Im happy for you about having your yoga back.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Well you had fruit on the cereal so it was totally a salad! I am with you on mediterranean food…I LOVE it! Pickles also a green so perfect vegetable…just consider it already dressed! And yeah, I am going to just on the bandwagon of hating you for having great hair with out having to wash it everyday! Ok, now confession…I eat a huge bowl of oatmeal loaded with apples cereal and peanut butter ever night before bed…I think you already new that though. I am glad you are finding your groove with the pregnancy. I hope you are doing well today! Oh, and sleep is over rated.

Cherie May 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm

My confession: I washed some clothes last night even though we are still trying to conserve water in Nashville. But I was getting desperate!

Melissa S. May 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm

confession: i counted my calories today. and yesterday. boo.

i still count chips and crackers too.

glad you’re feeling better though!

Laura May 13, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Confession: I only shampoo my hair once a week! I am very un-naturally blonde and only wash it once a week to stop it drying out too much. I swear by dry shampoo and pony tails :)

Jennifer May 13, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Cereal salad looks to die for!! Yumm! :)

learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood May 13, 2010 at 7:38 pm

My confession is that I love to go tanning and I go most nights during the week.

Mimi May 13, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Your hair is a frickin BEAST! A wild, beautiful beast! So lucky!

Haha, I count my chips too. And my nuts. If, for me, a serving size is 10 chips, I count 10 chips. Bad habit, but it is what it is.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 13, 2010 at 7:54 pm

love the confessions…I used to love sugary cereal but the gluten is now what keeps me away :)

the fact that you even workout at all during your 1st/2nd tri is awesome. I was so sick that the yoga teacher side of me was like “prenatal yoga has all these lovely benefits…yadda yadda”…I was barfing my guts out and didnt do yoga for the 1st half of my preg and hardly did it the 2nd half. And yoga = 10 mins of stretching. Before I would go puke again. An hour or 90 mins..you’ve gotta be kidding me!

My other confession, not a “bad” one but it’s my anniversary and I just blogged about my whole how i met scott and we got married in vegas for $199 bucks story.

xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 14, 2010 at 6:16 am

Averie, Sorry I’m a day late, but Happy Anniversary!!! :)

amy. May 13, 2010 at 8:02 pm

confession: i watched as my husband polished off a pint of ben and jerry’s and was craving ice cream. i decided to make a smoothie (you know, the ‘healthy’ choice) but put two heaping teaspoons of peanut butter in it and then served it in a (mostly) empty peanut butter jar. i think i defeated the healthful purpose…

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm

hehe yea i see the veggies peeking out in there lol <3 .. so sorry about ur sleep. hope ur able to rest up soon love xoxo

idreamoftahini May 13, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Hummus Salad – OMG that looks amazing!!!! I also love mediterrean food, yummy!!! Course I also love Mexican food. So glad we don’t have to pick just one!!
I need to find the Falafel chips – they look so good.

Melanie

MarathonVal May 13, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Haha, I was just thinking about doing a similar post with my weird food rules….

Along the lines of how you think health food store’s versions of sugary cereals are better than the original, it reminded me of one of my food confessions:

Part of me honestly, truly believes that if I splurge on only one food or meal (like having 4 plates of lasagna for dinner vs. one plate of lasagna and a salad) then somehow the calories don’t count, as if my body can only take in a max number of calories per food, per day….

Likewise, I also partially believe that my body only takes in so many calories per day and thus if it’s a splurge day (I rarely do this anymore, but back in the day), and eat way more than I would have liked, I kind of believe that these calories don’t count too and think that I can only gain ‘so many’ pounds in one day.

Even as I type this I know it’s completely ludicrous, and yet I sometimes still continue to fall into these weird mindsets!

Luna May 14, 2010 at 3:55 am

…confession ( a weird one!) : I dreamt about you tonight!?! You were at the seaside with CD and other relatives , you were pregnant and already had two baby boys, blue eyes and blond hair, one of them was named “Andrew”!!! ahahah kind of scares me that I dream about someone I have never met? ! ? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 14, 2010 at 6:25 am

Luna, Too funny. Other people have told me they have had dreams about me – maybe you read my blog before going to bed or something? I do that too – see a person or hear their name, and then they reappear in my dreams. Now, what would have been really weird if Andrew had been the boy’s name we’d chosen. Although come to think of it, I really do like that name. So, you think we’re going to have 3 HEABlets, huh? Ha, CD and I better get busy! ;)

Katherine: What About Summer? May 14, 2010 at 4:27 am

What is it with confessions: see my recent post “Usher”

I don’t know what it is about this past week (maybe the spring time pollen or poppy flowers budding) but everyone has been confessing lately…

HEAB: if I had a million dollars (see post “tall tales” this is shameless plugging isn’t it I am so sorry I’m being tacky.) I would buy you a book by William J. Bennett called Childrens Book of Virtues. I had it growing up and it has many great stories about manners etc that really relate to a child’s brain. please don’t make your baby a baby einstein tv-watching drone.

anyways I hope you had carrots and your eyes made it through this entire lengthy comment. best wishes

Allie (Protein Girl) May 14, 2010 at 6:36 am

Confessions: I wash my hair probably 2-3 x week. I have enough hair to make 3 country star wigs. I have a weakness for diet rootbeer, fake butter and peanut butter syrup.

I’m only human!

elk May 14, 2010 at 9:17 am

Hello. I’ve never commented, but wanted to say congratulations on your sprog-growing! I wish you all the best. I’m also glad to see you embracing sugary cereal – I’ve never had preganancy induced nausea (because, er, I’ve never been pregant) but whenever I was ill growing up the only think I could stomach was dry Frosties, particularly the odd ones you’d come across in the packet that were literally slathered in a shiny sugary crust. They are still my go-to comfort food when ill, those and Digestive biscuits :)
I don’t even own a comb. I wash my hair every three or four days. I like to think if it as ‘environmentally friendly’, you know…saving shampoo…
An ex flatmate of mine always said how chocolate bought from a health food shop was healthy. Chocolate covered raisins, even just plain old chocolate covered fudge; if it’s bought from a health food shop it totally doesn’t count. That belief rubbed off on me. That and her “But whiskey is medicinal!” mantra :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 14, 2010 at 9:35 am

elk, Thanks for the encouragement, and oh my gosh, LOVE Digestives, especially the milk chocolate ones. When I lived in the UK, at first I thought they were some of fiber laxative cookie or something. Ha, not quite. So good!

runnerforever May 14, 2010 at 10:43 am

Our favorite cereals are the same except I go for the traditional mini wheats, probably even less healthy haha :-)

Quix May 14, 2010 at 9:50 pm

It’s also national salsa month I hear. I like topping my salad with salsa so I’ll celebrate both! :)
Confessions: I also only wash/brush my hair a few times a week. I’m a low maintenance gal that way too. I also have tried to like yoga so so so much, but I really don’t get anything out of it that I wouldn’t also get by just stretching.

Christina May 15, 2010 at 7:29 am

I love your blog and have been reading it for awhile now. I just started my own so come check it out, I could use all the motivation possible

hayleycepeda May 16, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I confess that I only wish my hair every 2 days, but WOW do I wish I could get mine to look as good as yours without combing it and washing it even less often!!! You look beautiful Heather…