East Meets Southwest

by HEAB on May 16, 2010

Since yesterday’s spring roll lunch went so well, I decided to experiment a bit more with my rice paper wrappers for breakfast this morning. Yes, I know it’s Sunday, but I’m still not feeling the pancakes. I promise they’ll be back someday!

Here is the brand of rice paper I bought. I wish I could direct you to the company’s website, but there wasn’t one listed anywhere on the packaging. Again, I found it at Whole Foods near the Asian condiments and seaweed.

This is what the rice paper looks like before soaking…

Here was the assembly line for this morning’s experiment: 1 ounce daiya cheddar cheese, 1 sliced chicken breast, and 1 whole egg scrambled with 2 egg whites.

I soaked each sheet of rice paper in hot water for about 10-12 seconds. Yesterday, I soaked them for 30 seconds which seemed to work better as I had a harder time wrapping this morning. I then placed the filled wraps in a greased glass dish and baked them in a 400° oven for about 15 minutes. I was hoping to flip them and brown the other side, but one roll had ripped during the wrapping process. So, after deciding they had baked long enough, I removed my breakfast spring rolls from the oven and ate them alongside some salsa for dipping and some fresh cantaloupe.

The rice paper got all crispy and the daiya cheese was melted to perfection – kind of like a Tex-Mex egg roll? This was one of those meals I wish I could have shared with all of you as it was so tasty!

Once again, it’s pouring rain in Nashville, and I’m currently sipping on a mug of hot chocolate. Definitely another curl up in bed with a good book kind of day. Happy Sunday to you all!

Beth May 16, 2010 at 8:11 am

Ohh thats such a cool idea to bake the rice paper rolls! I loooove summer rolls but never thought to cook them. Looks delish!

fitandfortysomething May 16, 2010 at 8:28 am

Funny bfast- but I’m sue it was good! Happy Sunday :)

Ilana May 16, 2010 at 8:41 am

I am drooling while simultaneously making room in my schedule for a trip to Whole Foods! I love the rice paper rolls – in Thailand we took a cooking class and it became very clear to me that those little babies would be great with just about any filling! *adds yet another thing to the grocery list*

eatmovelove May 16, 2010 at 8:44 am

Well, the hormone changes haven’t affected your brilliance or creativity HEAB compared to some dumbfounded moments my Sister had …haha :)

What book are you reading now? Also – totally random, but just looking at your header haha – when you were a nut butter fan (!) did you prefer the roasted or raw AB? I love both – but roasted is like ridiculously crack-worthy….

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 16, 2010 at 10:19 am

.Eatmovelove, Just finishing up *Away* by Amy Bloom, and although I love raw almond butter, I think roasted crunchy will always be my fav

jenny (green food diaries) May 16, 2010 at 9:13 am

that sounds awesome! i think i’ll check my asian grocery store today.

marshell y. Roper May 16, 2010 at 9:15 am

Now, that really sounds and look soooo good!!

Justine May 16, 2010 at 10:16 am

It’s so early in the day and you have already had such a perfect one! :)

Hot chocolate and a book-two of my favourite things. Have a wonderful Sunday Miss Heather!

janetha May 16, 2010 at 11:36 am

pretty sure i like your random pregnancy taste buds because you come up with super clever meals!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 16, 2010 at 11:38 am

That meal sounds right up my alley. I must find some rice paper!

Evan Thomas May 16, 2010 at 11:39 am

It’s sunny here, and yet curling up with a good anything sounds like a better day.
And I’m with Janetha–keep the cravings coming because they sound good.

Ana May 16, 2010 at 11:54 am

Oh, never thought about baking spring rolls!
Looks yummy!

Jenna May 16, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Those spring roll skins look great and so versatile! Delicious. :) Enjoy your rainy Sunday, sometimes those are the best.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 16, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Baked rice paper rolls…clever!

So I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent in WF’s trying to get them to order rice paper wrappers. They have wrappers that *look like* rice, but they are actually gluten containing wheat wrappers. And when I talk to them, the store mgr tells me they cannot source them? wtf??! Since clearly YOUR WF’s can get them…you would think it would be a natl distribution thing. Whatever, I will be back in S.D. soon enough where rice paper wrappers are ‘a plenty!

operagirlcooks May 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Wow, what a creative use of rice paper rolls. Never would have thought of it.

Tamizn May 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Yummy I love rice paper spring rolls x x

Kellie May 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I almost wish it was pouring here. I love a day in bed with a good book. When it is rainy I don’t feel as guilty about it.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm

It looks delicious! Enjoy your rest!

Emily May 16, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Yum, yum. This sounds so good, Heather. I’ve never used rice paper wraps before, but I’m dying to try some now. I think I’ll pick some up at the store today.

Katherine: What About Summer? May 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm

HEAB: thanks for your comment + advice. search box up. this paper deal looks extremely technical but I love the outcome
happy weekend

Danielle May 16, 2010 at 1:38 pm

That looks absolutely delicious! I need to buy rice paper :)

Abbey May 16, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Yum Heather! Wanted to ask if you have ever tried Gardein products? They are soy “meats” and the soy beef tips are phenomenal with tons of veggies and this teriyaki sauce I got from WF. When you are back into veg, you should try it!

Also, for those unable to locate rice paper, try World Market/Cost Plus. Mine sells them, so maybe most do?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 16, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Abbey, I haven’t ever tried the Gardein products, but I can’t do much soy unless it’s fermented like miso or tempeh. Otherwise, I get horrible stomach cramps. So, please enjoy some for me, and thanks for the rice paper shopping tip!

Julie @ Pickley Pear May 16, 2010 at 3:25 pm

The most creative I’ve gotten is wonton wrappers! Rice paper wrappers sound easy enough. Sorry it’s raining in TN (again), ugh, I feel for you all down there.

homecookedem May 16, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Breakfast spring rolls, wow! Very creative!! :) But I wouldn’t expect anything less!! ;)

Susan May 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I’ve never thought of baking my spring rolls before, I bet it gets wonderfully crispy!! For a brief second there, I thought you were going to fashion pancakes out of the rice paper ;)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm

That sounds so good! I bet (cooked) spinach with the eggs would make them even creamier inside. YUM :)

Jenn

luckytastebuds May 16, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Hiii Heather!! Thank you for the tutorial. I have always screwed up when it comes to using rice paper in recipes because i either over or under soak it. hahaha You look like a pro with it though!! You might be a natural born Asian. Or chef for that matter. heheeheh

Gaby May 16, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Woah! It’s never occurred to me to bake them! That sounds really good. I make them a lot since they make such an easy lunch and I can put whatever I have on hand in them. I don’t remember where I got mine but they’re a lot bigger and square kind of like Maggie’s. I’m a terrible wrapper and always overstuff them so they end up like giant burrito looking spring rolls. Yours are so pretty!
Now I can’t wait to try new fillings and hot spring rolls :)
Hope you had a great weekend and are beginning to feel better!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 16, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Gaby, Thanks for the well wishes, and yes, you totally have to try baking your spring rolls next time. So crisp and good!

julie May 16, 2010 at 6:02 pm

haha oh my god thats genius!!!! hahaha i love it and can’t wait to get my hands on some rice papers :)

hope you enjoyed your book and hot chocs!

Katie May 16, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I talked to a friend today who said that the square wrappers are easier to wrap. I’ve never been able to find them though.

Brilliant idea with the breakfast rolls – it’s kind of like HEAB-ified egg rolls, baked not fried.

Christina May 16, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I looove rice paper rolls, I make them all the time but I can never get them as tight as they do in the restaurants..still trying :-)

Shannon May 16, 2010 at 6:29 pm

wow, what a fabulous idea!! i have some rice paper, too :)

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries May 16, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I am dying to try this daiya cheese! Those spring rolls look so tasty :)

theprocessofhealing May 16, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Hot chocolate… Mmmm!

Sarah (Enjoying One Meal at a Time) May 16, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Hey! I just found your blog. Your recipes look really yummy, can’t wait to read more!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 17, 2010 at 7:31 am

Sarah, Glad you found me. Thanks for reading!

Maren May 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Your spring rolls look so yummy! Its very inspiring that you could do it, wrapping looks really intimidating. I just stumbled over your blog and loved reading your story. I look forward to reading in the future.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 17, 2010 at 7:34 am

Thanks for reading Maren. :)

MizFit May 17, 2010 at 4:30 am

what does it say about me that I skip the foodie stuff and IMMEDIATELY wonder what book youre reading?
Ive been devouring a bunch lately.
many recommendations if youre interested :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 17, 2010 at 7:33 am

Miz, Just finishing up *Away* by Amy Bloom. It got really good reviews, but I found it to be a rather sad story. Would love some recommendations!

Sagan May 17, 2010 at 6:36 am

Rice paper experiments sound like fun!

Allie (Protein Girl) May 17, 2010 at 7:03 am

I love Vietnamese spring rolls. I would live off of them if I could and I just discovered a low carb option with soy wrappers. (contains soy though, um obviously.) They are a cross between a sheet of a nori and sheet of rice paper and cost about the price of gold leaf. $$$.

Justine May 17, 2010 at 7:11 am

Yum!!! See you today Heatherpie!!

<3 Justine

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 17, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Breakfast spring rolls = great idea! I will be REALLY impressed, though, when you managed to roll up some oat bran. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Ha ha Diana, I’ll have to work on that one…I think it can be done! ;)