Lazy Man Spring Rolls

by HEAB on May 17, 2010

Exciting news!!!Β Katie posted the recipe for her spring/summer rolls.

Yum – thanks for sharing Katie! Β When I made these rolls on Saturday, I kept taking bites of the veggie/chicken mixture every time I made a new roll which probably explains why I ended up with six spring rolls instead of eight. Oops. πŸ˜‰ So, yesterday, I decided to skip the rice paper altogether and just eat the veggies.Β I present to you (as reader Amanda likes to call it) The Lazy Man Spring Roll

If you are trying to eat more raw vegetables, then you must try this! After cutting up 1/2 zucchini and 1/2 red bell pepper into strips, I threw them in a large Ziplock bag with some shredded carrots, grilled chicken breast, and a double batch of Katie’s marinade:

• 2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp fish sauce
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 tsp brown sugar

By the time I was ready for lunch, the veggies and chicken had marinated for a few hours. Into my bowl of baby romaine went the veggies + chicken + marinade along with 2 TBSP ofΒ The Ginger People’s Ginger Peanut Sauce and 1/2 ounce of peanuts. Unfortunately, I forgot to add the cilantro and mint, but this still made a delicious salad. The perfect summertime meal. πŸ™‚

For those of you who missed my podcast interview discussing orthorexia with Meghan Telpner, you can now listen to it here:

Edited to Add: OK, I can’t get the link to the podcast to play on my computer. Does anyone know how to embed a podcast using WordPress? If so, please enlighten me. Thanks!

CD’s mom is coming in town tonight to stay with us for a week, and I won’t be spending much time on the computer. I’ll still be around – I just won’t have a lot of time for email, etc.

Enjoy your Monday and try these veggies! πŸ™‚

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I’m loving your fresh spring roll kick. I love fresh spring rolls and peanut sauce and thai and can’t wait to give this a try!

looksgoodinpolkadots May 20, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Oh yum! I make spring rolls for our family often, because they are gluten free and everyone loves them… so it’s a win win. I usually lightly saute the veggies, but I’m going to try this marinade next time! Awesome! I may have to try it your way as well… since I’m trying to omit all white carbs and I think my tapioca flour wraps count as white! Ugh!

Elizabeth May 18, 2010 at 8:43 am

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great posts! I’ve been reading your blog for awhile now, and it’s always so inspiring! (You also got me hooked on almond butter!!) I always look forward to your posts!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 8:48 am

Thanks Elizabeth. πŸ™‚

gavrielski May 18, 2010 at 7:51 am

Heather, I have loved reading your spring role recipes the past few days! I’m so happy you’ve found food that feels good to you right now (and that looks so tasty and appetizing for your readers the same time!). I’m so excited to try these rice wrappers!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 8:23 am

Gavrielski, Thanks – I’m glad I found some veggies to enjoy as well. Enjoy your spring rolls! πŸ™‚

Ilana May 18, 2010 at 7:25 am

I think this is a recipe I can get behind. Not that it isn’t fun to wrap stuff up in the little wrappers, but, well, I’m one lazy lazy girl.

Mae May 18, 2010 at 7:08 am

I can’t wai to try these… first it’s stuffed grape leaves, though. πŸ˜‰

A @ Please Don't Eat Me! May 18, 2010 at 6:38 am

YUMMMMMMMMMMM.. those look delish! i love the Asian food theme going on.. lol

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 17, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Just when I started to get excited about the wrapping, you kibboshed it πŸ™‚

Love you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 7:01 am

Oh Deb, there will be lots more wrapping in my future. Thinking about you lots! πŸ™‚

rachael May 17, 2010 at 8:42 pm

i have been wanting to try rice paper for SO long but am too scared that it will be too sticky, or just difficult in general, to use. all you made looks delicious! i love your blog (:

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 7:02 am

Thanks Rachael and don’t fear the rice paper. I promise they’re fairly easy to use. πŸ™‚

Marcia May 17, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Wow. That recipe looks awesome. Bookmarking this one!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 17, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Hi Heather! Great job on the wrapper-less rolls. Katie and I were talking and she realized her wrappers weren’t rice but they were gluten. See, I told you there are no groc stores in AZ that sell rice wrappers, but thanks for the Cost Plus lead. Anyway, the sauce sounds so authentic!

Enjoy this special time w/ CDs mom. I sense a shopping trip for baby gear may be in the works πŸ™‚ If you need any advice on things you’ll never use to things you must have (and aside from your arms, chest, and a few diapers, there are very few must buy’s but I digress…weirdest comment ever…sorry!) but no apologies on not being a slave to email!
xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 7:00 am

Averie, Honestly, I would love to hear your list of must-haves. I am a minimalist, and don’t want a ton of unnecessary stuff that we will never use. I do not like clutter. Thanks so much and no hurry. Just whenever you’ve got time.:)

Katherine: What About Summer? May 17, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I don’t know if there is such thing as lazy and making spring rolls. is that an oxymoron?

Tanya May 17, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I’ve been making a lot of spring rolls too lately…..with Averie’s Peanut sauce. I’d love to try this marinade……but need to use something to replace the fish sauce….hmmmmmm

Nicole May 17, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Holy crap I can’t wait to go out and buy some fish sauce so I can try this! I’ve actually been saying I want to make a sushi bowl which is pretty much the same idea.
How are you feeling?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 17, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Nicole, Must better during the daytime, but nights are still horrible. Thanks for asking. πŸ™‚ Hope you are doing well!

thewhatkateateblog May 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Those lazy man spring rolls look so good! I always end up dropping out all of the filling out of the wrapper anyways, so these are a good alternative πŸ™‚

kelli May 17, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I love making spring rolls! … I have a dipping sauce recipe that everytime I make it people love, I’m gonna have to make it again to give you the measurements so it comes out ok πŸ™‚

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 17, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Kelli, Yes, I’d love the recipe for your dipping sauce. πŸ™‚

malpaz May 17, 2010 at 4:02 pm

i have always heard of spring rolls…ethnic food is a whole new world to me i have never had chinese or japanese! i go about as far as taco salad with mexican!

Katie May 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm

You’ve just given me the perfect thing to make until i can find gf rice wrappers. I’ve made the rolls in nori instead of rice paper too, which is a lot easier and less time consuming, but it does give it a different sort of taste.

jenny (green food diaries) May 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm

man, i really need to get some rice paper so i can make these. looks so good.

fitandfortysomething May 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm

you have been on an asian roll kick lately-they all look so good!

Danielle May 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I loveee spring rolls (which, now I learned are actually summer rolls). The rice paper is good but it is sort of tricky. I need to learn how to wrap it tighter!

Enjoy the time with CD & mom-in-law πŸ˜€

To Kiss the Cook May 17, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Glorious…I was hoping a recipe would surface from that original post. I’ve been craving since then!

Anna May 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Mmmm…lurve spring rolls!! Enjoy your time with your MIL!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 17, 2010 at 1:11 pm

You can wrap pretty much any veggies in rice paper and it’s delicious. No recipe required. Just imagination.

Bethany May 17, 2010 at 1:07 pm

That looks delicous! I think I have all those ingredients at home, so I will definitely have to make this sometime during the week. Thanks to you and Katie for sharing!!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 17, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Most of my meals are lazy man style! Still so delicious.

saltytooth May 17, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I think all my meals today are going to be lazy man style!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 17, 2010 at 11:53 am

I haven’t made spring rolls in so long because they take quite a while to prep and assemble. Love the lazy way to eat them!

Carbzilla May 17, 2010 at 11:34 am

Oh this looks perfect since I don’t really even like the rice wrapper. It’s a consistency thing for me – I’m weird that way.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 17, 2010 at 10:49 am

im gonna go listen to that podcast soon but just wanted to thank you for the spring roll recipe link! they looks so good! <3

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 17, 2010 at 10:41 am

I love it…you found something you like and makes you feel good! Go with it! I will have to try this one out. Sounds delicious!!!

idreamoftahini May 17, 2010 at 10:09 am

Haha – Eating most of the mix while making them is what I would do!!
The salad, I mean lazy man spring roll looks really good!!

eatmovelove May 17, 2010 at 9:42 am

Looks good HEAB. I have no problem eating veggies…I would snack on that salad WHILE i’m cooking dinner…that amongst others I won’t get into

Sara May 17, 2010 at 9:11 am

Ummm, yeah, so I’m definitely going to have to make these. Soon! My husband and I are trying to get back into more of a raw diet and these definitely fit in with that. Thanks for posting these (and the link to the original recipe).

Marina May 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

I can’t wait to try Katie’s recipe!
Have a fun week!