Welcome to McPita's

by HEAB on May 18, 2010

Yesterday, I skipped the spring rolls for a lovely lunch date with Justine and her Little One at one of our favorite Mediterranean restaurants, Cafe Rakka.

Usually, we order the hummus appetizer followed by a meal, but these days if I eat a lot of food at once, I feel really sick. So, we skipped the appetizer, and I ordered small tasting platters of some of my favorites: Baba ghanoush, tabbouleh, and falafels with whole wheat pita bread. YUM!

We ate and had the best time talking. I love my girlie lunches! Before leaving the restaurant, Justine pointed out that they sold their whole wheat pita by the bag, and of course, I had to buy some. It then made an appearance at breakfast this morning in an Egg McMuffin, HEAB style. :)

That’s a whole wheat pita stuffed with 1 scrambled egg, 2 slices of ham, and 1 piece of goat cheese all toasted and warm. I can’t seem to get enough melted goat cheese into my body these days, and I must admit that I LOVE ham…and eggs. :)

Another thing I love?

Cookies ‘N Cream has always been one of my favorite ice-cream flavors, and I did a little dance in the ice-cream aisle when I saw that Turtle Mountain is now making a So Delicious coconut milk ice-cream version. In all honesty, it didn’t really taste like your typical cookies ‘n cream ice-cream. There were cookies, but it was missing that cream flavor. It basically tasted like vanilla ice-cream with large cookie chunks, but there is nothing wrong with that as I love a good chunk-filled ice-cream!

Tonight is yoga, and I am so excited. I love my prenatal yoga class and being around other mamas-to-be. Their bellies are so cute. I’m not really showing yet, but I’m looking forward to a little belly of my own. :)

Time to get started with my day. Hope you all have a good one, and please tell me, what is your favorite pita bread stuffer and do you prefer your ice-cream chunky or smooth?

Beth May 18, 2010 at 8:50 am

Babaganoush, hummus, and falafel are three of my all time favorites. Yum!!

mrssturgis May 18, 2010 at 8:50 am

I used to like only smooth ice cream, and then one day I discovered cookie dough ice cream… So now, I enjoy stuff in my ice cream :)

Aww, you’re going to be soo adorable with a baby bump! Enjoy yoga, you look beautiful as always.

Jenn (GH) May 18, 2010 at 8:51 am

Mmmmm….middle eastern food. Those are some of my favorites too. I used to have a friend from Syria who would invite me over for looooong afternoon meals of hummus, baba ghanoush, tabbouleh, and other things it was heavenly.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yoga again. Can’t wait to see your baby bump! :-)

Maggie May 18, 2010 at 8:55 am

I love chunky ice cream! But I like it best as it starts to get melty. My favorite pita bread stuffer is probably sprouts and tahini. And kabocha, duh.

Yay for girlie lunches :)

Amy May 18, 2010 at 8:58 am

I LOVE “So Delicious”! I was really disheartened when I discovered that I could no longer eat ice cream. Fortunately it’s becoming much more normal for typical grocery stores (HEB, etc.) to carry specialty items like gluten-free and dairy free. So I was really excited when I saw “So Delicious” in the ice cream aisle. There aren’t a whole lot of options, and I hate vanilla, so I always end up getting “Chocolate Obsession.” Chocolate ice cream with chunks of chocolate. It’s like heaven!

Sarah (cocoanutshakes) May 18, 2010 at 8:58 am

Mmm chunky ice cream!! But the only problem is I am constantly digging for the chunks, and then out of nowhere all of the ice cream is gone…..=)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:43 am

Sarah, The same thing happens to me! :)

Ana May 18, 2010 at 8:59 am

You ordered all my favorites at your Mediterranean lunch, everything looks amazingly good! Man I am so craving babaganoush and falafels now!
And it is smooth ice cream for me! there are very few things I like mixed up into my creamy ice cream, I prefer a ganach-type chocolate sauce on top of it rather than something inside.
I like cookies n’cream though because the cookies get moist and not crunchy! I will look for that flavor, my son loves cookies n’cream ice cream and he cannot have dairy, so that is a cool alternative for him!

Erica May 18, 2010 at 8:59 am

Your meal would totally be my ideal! I love a little bit of this and that. So so good! Have fun at yoga. I can just imagine all those cute little bellies in one room. Ah- you’re going to look adorable with a bump. I like smooth ice cream…kind of plain-ish flavors like vanilla or banana. If I want a little something something special- I go the mint chip route!

operagirlcooks May 18, 2010 at 9:00 am

One great pita bread sandwich I used to make all the time involved arugula, sliced cucumber, and a wedge of laughing cow lite garlic flavor. It was a good low calorie, refreshing, summery snack! Might have to ressurect that one . . .

Jessica @ How Sweet May 18, 2010 at 9:01 am

I love chunky ice cream! I can’t ever eat it plain – I need chunks and chips and swirls.

annecalista May 18, 2010 at 9:04 am

I love a good veggie, hummus and cheese sandwich :-) And I need some chunks in my ice cream, whether it comes with something in it or I add some mix-ins!

Krystina May 18, 2010 at 9:06 am

You’re so beautiful you’re glowing.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:51 am

Thanks Krystina. :)

Anna May 18, 2010 at 9:08 am

Ahhhh, I LOVE Mediterranean food :-) Yum!

Allison May 18, 2010 at 9:10 am

My midwife taught me this trick with my first baby because I took a long time to start showing. Try lying down flat on your back and lifting your head up just a little bit to look down at your belly. One day (as if overnight) that area between your hip bones which is usually concave will have a distict bump poking out. So exciting!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:50 am

Thanks Allison. I’ll try that!

allison May 18, 2010 at 9:14 am

favorite pita stuffer is either falafel (obviously) or hummus, tomato, cucumber, red onion, and basil.

favorite ice cream is CHUNKY fo sho. i loooove chocolate covered pretzels in vanilla ice cream. it comes in the container like that. i guess you could make it tho!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 18, 2010 at 9:32 am

You should try making your own baba ghanoush. It’s so easy and delicious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:49 am

Thanks Samantha. Perhaps I will. :)

Kristy May 18, 2010 at 9:39 am

I was wondering why I hadn’t heard of Cafe Rakka…It’s because it’s in Hendersonville!

Last night I had a ww pita stuffed with TJ’s hummus & tzatziki, shredded carrots, and shaved ham. YUM! Thanks for recommending the TJ’s tzatziki. It’s WAY better than the kind I was getting at Whole Foods.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:49 am

Kristy, Yes, Cafe Rakka is a bit of a trek, but the hummus is so good. I still need to get myself back to Athens after your recommendation. I haven’t been there in years, and so happy to hear you liked the TJ’s tzatziki. Good stuff!

Ameena May 18, 2010 at 9:39 am

I love falafel in pita bread…so good.

And ice cream, if I eat it which is very rare, has to be chunky. I remember eating pints of Ben and Jerry’s Chocolate Brownie which remains my favorite!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 18, 2010 at 9:42 am

Yummy eats, I love all that stuff. I like to eat veggie burgers in pitas but falafel has to be my favorite for sure. I also sometimes put peanut butter and chocolate chips inside of a toasted pita pocket and it all melts, mmm…

I recently tried the So Delicious coconut milk green tea frozen dessert and it was yummy. Tasted like green tea and very creamy!

Enjoy yoga! :)

Sarah May 18, 2010 at 9:45 am

I love my pitas with hummus…or as part of a vegan gyro. And ice cream? The more “chunks,” the better:-).

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 18, 2010 at 9:47 am

Mmm, those are some of my favorite things, right there!!

xo
K

Danielle May 18, 2010 at 9:52 am

I got so excited when I saw the new coconut milk ice cream flavors too! I’m eyeing the turtle trails…

Favorite pita bread stuffing = avocado + hummus (really good combo)!

lindsay May 18, 2010 at 9:53 am

Youre going to have a precious belly. How cute! Ice cream….I love cookies n’ cream and I like it chunky! So delicous is my favorite!
Have a great time at Yoga. :)

Josie May 18, 2010 at 9:59 am

i like toasting pitas and topping them with hummus and a little meat (roast pork, chicken, tuna). or i do an “elvis” pita topped with peanut butter and banana slices.
and i love chunky ice cream! chunky anything, really. but i like to mix vanilla ice cream with corn flakes. so good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:46 am

Josie, Cereal + ice-cream…yes, please.

tweety55 May 18, 2010 at 10:16 am

I have to try that ice cream, it looks way too good

Heather May 18, 2010 at 10:21 am

is it weird that i drooled on command at the words “Baba ghanoush”? because really, that’s all i want in life right now!

LesleyG May 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

Mmmm, cookies and cream is one of my very favorites, too. I’m going to have to look for it, even if it’s a noticeable replacement for the original!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 18, 2010 at 10:35 am

My ice cream has to have chunks! I mean, what’s the point if there’s not a cookie chunk or a brownie piece thrown in there? I also feel like frozen yogurt MUST have a topping (or two or three)! It’s not complete without it!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 18, 2010 at 10:36 am

Now that is my kind of lunch! I will have to remember that place the next time I am in Nashville! I love hummus in pita with lots of lettuce and tomato! I am such a flatbread girl. I like chunks in my ice cream too! There has to be cream in the cookies if it is cookies and cream! I would have need to add extra. When I was a kid (16), I used to buy frozen vanilla yogurt (cause it is my favorite) and pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough…melt the yogurt a little, cut up the cookie dough, mix them together and freeze it. I made my own super chunky cookie dough frozen yogurt. Ugh, now I need to make some! Have fun tonight!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:45 am

Sarena, I like the way you think, and would love to meet you in person someday! Come to Nashville, and I’ll take you to all my favorite Mediterranean restaurants! :)

Heather C May 18, 2010 at 10:37 am

ah, yes, cookies ‘n cream is a classic – that cream flavor is totally necesary!

My favorite pita stuffers = apple slices + almond butter, or Greek yogurt (with cinnamon, nutmeg & honey!) and a NEW fave that I randomly tried today? leftover Parsnip fries (reheated) + roasted Red pepper hummus! mmm, delicious. :)

Carolyn May 18, 2010 at 10:38 am

ANYTHING stuffed in a good fresh pita is my favorite stuffing…… Or just eating a pita…

chunky… Back in the day i was BFFs with Pralines and Cream w/caramel topping) sundaes from Baskin Robbins.. Good thing those days are over… and.. good thing i don’t work one door down from a BR anymore… ;-) even if those days ARE over…

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 18, 2010 at 10:40 am

yea the chocolate chunks definitely make up for it!!! agreed

Mama Pea May 18, 2010 at 10:47 am

Mc Pitas?! I’m lovin’ it!

I like my pitas with hummus or falafel or both. I found some Daiya though, so I’m anxious to try that too!

I like my ice cream like I like my babies…chunky. Your McBelly will be here in no time (and I mean that in the nicest way possible)!

thedelicateplace May 18, 2010 at 10:58 am

your food pics lately have been making me so hungry! i saw that ice cream last night too but i didn’t buy it. instead i purchased chocolate peanut butter artic freeze. gross, peanut-flour tasting cardboard :( at least my vegan brownie was tasty!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 11:00 am

Delicate Place, Good to know, but so disappointing as Chocolate Peanut Butter anything sounds so good.

Daniel May 18, 2010 at 11:13 am

I like my ice cream chunky so that I can chew it and it feels like I’m eating more when I do have some, and I love to stuff avocado, hummus, chick peas, shredded carrots, cucumber, falafel and tomato all into pitas! (Not all at once, though if I could / can fit it all, I will!)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 18, 2010 at 11:13 am

That Mediterranean food looks divine! :)

Jenn

saltytooth May 18, 2010 at 11:17 am

I like pitas with hummus and falafel. As far as ice cream is concerned, I like chunky. I need something with a little crunch!

Katie May 18, 2010 at 11:24 am

I’m a chunky girl (hehehe) when I get ice cream. Mint chocolate with the ribbons of chocolate, not the chips, is my favorite.

I am boring when it comes to stuffed pitas – veggies and hummus. And obviously avocado. Avocado goes with everything.

eatmovelove May 18, 2010 at 11:24 am

I like all kinds – but cookies n creme in general are my fave – creamy or chunky. Usually I like it a bit harder though.
That pita bread looks so good!

sarahsscrumptioussamplings May 18, 2010 at 11:30 am

I love hummus and brocoli slaw in a pita. But for a flashback to my childhood, I’ll have a pita with Dark Chocolate Dreams PB and banana :) It’s like dessert for lunch or breakfast.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 18, 2010 at 11:39 am

I bet your little baby belly is going to be so cute! I love stuffing my pita with grilled veggies, or for breakfast PB and banana!

Jenna May 18, 2010 at 11:45 am

Hummus & feta, all the way!

I like my ice cream chunky with a little bit of crunch.

Katherine: What About Summer? May 18, 2010 at 11:47 am

this like like peanut butter chunky v. smooth all over again

I like light, whipped, smooth ice CREAM. If I wanted ice chunk, I’d go to a marble slab place…

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 18, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Oh HEAB, you are the bearer of good news. Cookies ‘n’ Cream ice cream is pretty much my fave ice cream EVER, whatever the base flavor (coffee oreo was my fave at the scoop shop near college), so I am indeed jazzed to hear there’s a coconut milk variety on the market. Turtle Mountain to the rescue, as usual. :)

Meg May 18, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Ya’ll are beautiful :) Does goat cheese have a distinct taste? I wanna give it a try!

Also, what brand do you recommend for a first-timer? Thanks Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Meg, I just buy the Trader Joe’s shredded goat cheese and TJ’s goat cheese slices as well. Taste like tangy cheese to me. I love it, but it’s been a while since I’ve had straight up cow’s milk cheese, and so you might want to ease your way into it. I’ve also tried the Alta Dena raw goat cheese which I thought tasted funky.

Shannon May 18, 2010 at 12:01 pm

ooh, hummus is my fav filler for pita! but that ham n eggs looks delish as well! i tend to go for most food chunky ;)

idreamoftahini May 18, 2010 at 12:36 pm

The hummus, falafel, tabbouleh all look so good. It makes me want to lick my screen, but then I’m afraid someone would walk by my cube and laugh :)

I love SO Delicious coconut ice creams. I’ve only tried plain and the chocolate peanutbutter. I can’t seem to get past buying those two. I’ll have to try the cookies and cream. I’m down to just a tiny bit in both of my containers, I guess I’ll have to mix them to make enough to eat!!

Lisa May 18, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I love the Coconut Ice Cream Mint Chocolate Chip flavor, but have been on a break from it (due to slightly overindulging and needing to reign myself in!)…..I had no idea they came out with a cookies and cream—my fave! I’m definitely going to try it, but thanks for the warning on the non-creaminess. I prefer my ice cream smooth unless the chunks are made out of an oreo-like cookie or chocolate chip cookie dough. Yum!

your HEAB-mcmuffin looks fabulous :)

elk May 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I’m slowly reintroducing dairy back into my life (yoghurt is a no no – instant nauseau!… but I’ve just discovered ricotta cheese…oh my) so haven’t had ice cream in years, but I have been known to steal the cookie-dough chunks from other peoples…*innocent whistling*.
I’m excited by your baby yoga! A friend recently had a wee ‘un, and I was amazed that, while she was still pregnant, her belly actually radiated heat. Very useful for warming hands on when chatting in the street on a cold day ;) I’d never heard of that before, but apparently it’s a common pregant woman thing??
p.s. chocolate digestives are indeed, THE biscuit. Other’s may come and go…but they will always have a special place :) Though your initial thoughts about digestives being laxative biscuits did make me chuckle.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Elk, Did not know that about pregnant bellies. Will definitely come in handy as my hands are always cold! :)

caronae May 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I bet you’ll have such a cute belly! My favorite pita stuffer is cheese and hummus — they get all melty together. Also, pb and j or falafels with feta, cucumber, yogurt, lamb, spinach, and avocado for a delicious middle eastern style meal.

Denise Therese May 18, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Congratulations on your new baby! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Thanks Denise!

fartygirl May 18, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Hmmm… lovely lunch. What is that plate of stuff that looks like oatmeal, hanging out with the slabs of pita? It looks like hummus but not yellowy enough. Glad to hear the heablet has brought back your love of carbs. That pita looks yummy and chewy.

Ever try making your own cookies and cream ice cream? I bet you could get that creamy taste with a little coconut milk creamer. Just a thought. Have fun at your yoga, Momma. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Farty, It was Baba Ghounoush with Pom arils on top. So good, and yes, I did try making cookies ‘n cream ice-cream once with the Vita-Mix. It involved an avocado, coconut milk, cocoa powder, and Newman O’s. Come to think of it, it was really good. Need to try that one again.

Emily May 18, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Yaaay! You’re going to be so cute!

I saw this ice cream at the store and allllmost bought it. It was on sale, too, I think.

Mmm pita mcmuffin.

Hayley @ Breath of Fire May 18, 2010 at 1:45 pm

That ice cream is phenomenal. I think my favorite flavor is their mint chocolate chip. You must try it if you haven’t already.

I’m excited for your belly too– we better see lots of pictures :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Hayley, Love the mint chip ice-cream – one of my favorite flavor combos. Don’t even get me started on Andes Mints – I used to eat them by the package when I was a kid. What is it about mint/chocolate?

homecookedem May 18, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I’ve been really wanting some falafels lately!!

Can’t wait to see your little belly bump!! :)

Gena May 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Middle Eastern dip platters are some of my favorite things! Yum.

runnerforever May 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I really want to try some of that So Delicious, looks good although it would be hard to beat real ice cream.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 9:49 pm

runnerforever, I think the coconut milk ice-cream will surprise you. The plain chocolate tastes just like any regular dairy premium chocolate ice-cream to me. It’s so good. Try it! :)

jenny (green food diaries) May 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm

mmm… the pitas look delicious… i want falafel :(

Samantha May 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm

MMM good pita is one thing I miss eating. There’s one restaurant here that has great greek food and I love to try two little triangles when I go, but it’s been awhile.

Yay for lunch with friends, yoga, and basking in the glow of mommy-to-be-hood!

Rachel May 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Cookies and cream is my favorite flavor! I’ll have to check that out.

Tyrah May 18, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Those tasting platters look sooo good!
My favorite thing with pitas is hummus, lots of it =)
I do also love not tuna salad with chickpeas in them.

I just tried the cookies and cream this week too and it is yummy, the cookie chunks are my favorite part. I love chunky ice cream.
Have you had the peanut butter swirl one? so so so so so so good.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Tyrah, I can’t remember if I’ve had the PB swirl one or not…I think so, but obviously I must try it again since I don’t remember. ;)

Natalie May 18, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I like to call my eating style right now “tapas” – this looks like a perfect meal for me, and I have to try the cookies and cream ice cream!

Evan Thomas May 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Hmm, well I’m glad to know I’m not missing too much in that ice cream. I was all disappointed when I realized it wasn’t gluten-free, but it sounds like they make better

janetha May 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm

ice cream and greek? stop it. just stop. i like my ice cream the way i like my money. any way it comes is fine!

Lynna May 18, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Hummus and cheese! Or hummus and cheese and avocado– I call that a “fat sandwich” hah

inmytummy May 18, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Hummus, definitely hummus, although hummus + goat cheese is pretty good too. And as for ice cream, I’ll take it either way. I like chunky ice cream, but I also like soft serve a lot.

rachael May 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm

i havent tried so delicious ice cream yet, but i absolutely adore the kefir and yogurts, i need to buy me some ice cream!

Kellie May 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm

You’re so little so all of a sudden you will wake up and have a belly. It is so fun. Enjoy. I actaully miss being pregnant and I never thought I would say that.

Hayley May 18, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Your eats look great!! I know what you mean about not being able to eat too much at one meal – and I have craved cheese a LOT more since becoming pregnant! Cheese and fruit…what kind of ham did you put in your pita! That looks delicious! I get freaked out about deli meats though…still – yummm!!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 18, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Hayley, It’s Applegate Farm ham slices form Trader Joe’s – I just make sure to always eat them heated. So good with melted cheese and a side of fruit! ;)

Pure2Raw Twins May 18, 2010 at 8:19 pm

We both love chunky ice cream…although we would never turn down smooth either!!

Your pita looks yummy… we love hummus with pitas, although we do not really eat pitas much anymore.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 18, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Awww, you 3 ladies are so beautiful! I love Justine and miss her blog but hey, I know she needed to move on. So glad you all keep in touch and meet up!

I announced my move today. I will miss my own friend here in Phx, but other than that, won’t miss much of Phx :)

Anyway, got your email re baby stuff. And I will definitely give you a list. It will be short. I hate! clutter and crap and excess consumerism and you dont need 95% of what you think you will need.

Prenatal yoga…the energy is just amazing with all that lovely baby dust and estrogen in the room. I think I could re-lactate just by walking into a prenatal class :)

xo

*Andrea* May 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm

hummus and falafel = love. Mediterranean food is so comforting and so healthy!

i love chunky ice cream. chunky chocolate, cookies and fudge are my favorites. i do love that so delicious brand but it’s hard not to devour the whole container :-O

Ashley May 19, 2010 at 4:01 am

Hey Heather! A big CONGRATULATIONS on the “bun (or maybe wholewheat pita??) in the oven” (aka, your HEABlet). I knew something was up when I saw all that fruit on your blog…! It’s fabulous food, and also really good you are looking after yourself and giving your body what you can sense it needs.

Best of luck with the pregnancy. I will continue reading your blog religiously at work, as I have been doing for a long while.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 19, 2010 at 7:35 am

Thanks Ashley. Hope you are doing well! :)

Susannah May 19, 2010 at 7:01 am

My fav. So Delicious flavor is Mint Chip! But I was tempted last night at Whole Foods to buy the Cookies and Cream, I love chunky ice cream and I heart coconut milk ice cream! I tried to have Mediterranean Cuisine yesterday but the line was too long :( My fav. pita stuffer is homemade chicken salad with lettuce OR cheesy eggs and veggies!

Annie May 19, 2010 at 10:33 am

I love to stuff my pitas with hummus, feta, cheese, and spinach yum!!! And there must be lots of hummus! And a prefer my ice cream chunky for sure. Cookie dough ice cream with lots of cookie dough is my favorite!!

Bekah May 23, 2010 at 6:44 pm

coconut milk ice cream is a product of God. legit. And Heather.. I’m glad you at least are having cravings of some sort.. :)

{ 1 trackback }