Burger Up

by HEAB on May 20, 2010

Yesterday, CD, my mom, and CD’s mom…

along with myself and my brother

went to lunch at Burger Up, a new burger joint in town. Hey Burger Up, I know you’re busy as you were packed yesterday, but update your website. People like to see an online menu!

The restaurant serves organic grass fed beef from this local ranch. It’s not grass-fed finished which is what I prefer, but it’s better than what most restaurants offer. That being said, I haven’t even been in much of a hamburger mood lately. Yep, much to CD’s dismay, there have been no grilled burgers on our dinner table for a couple of months now. Sorry CD! However, I was excited to try Burger Up as I’d heard they make their own veggie burgers from scratch. So exciting as there is nothing more disappointing than to go to order a veggie burger only to be served a microwaved Boca patty. (A shout out to Houston’s who makes my favorite veggie burger in the whole world!). Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, yesterday’s lunch…

My eyes quickly found the quinoa-black bean burger, but before they got there, they spotted a goat cheese and roasted beet salad. Goat cheese or burger? Hmm, that’s a tough choice. I’d like one of each please. :)

I pulled a “Heather” and requested my salad topped with a veggie burger patty. I mean if you can pay a little extra for shrimp or chicken, why not a burger? After all, it is the restaurant’s namesake Our sweet server put in my request, and the kitchen happily obliged. Thank you Burger Up, as the salad was excellent, and I loved the veggie burger! The outside was crunchy, and the burger stayed together. Props to the chef as most of my homemade black bean burgers usually fall apart. There was just the right amount of spicy kick, and I enjoyed every last bite. In fact, everyone seemed to enjoy their food, including our fried pickle appetizer, and we all went to town on CD’s sweet potato fries. They were thick, not too greasy, and perfectly salted. Oh, and I think it’s great that the restaurant makes their own ketchup, no high fructose corn syrup included!

My only complaint would be the noise. The restaurant is not very big, and it was so loud inside that I could barely hear what my family was saying. Next time, I’d prefer to sit outside where it’s nice and quiet. However, as loud as they were, it was really good to see so many fellow Nashvillians supporting a new local restaurant. So, welcome to Nashville Burger Up. We’re glad you’re here!

OK, time to walk the pups. Besides my weekly yoga class, that’s about all the exercise I’m getting these days. Even a 30 minute walk can work wonders for the mind and body. You should try it. :)

Gena May 20, 2010 at 8:44 am

I love putting (or crumbling) veg burgers on salads! What a delish dish.

Beth May 20, 2010 at 8:47 am

Wow that burger looks incredible! I never thought to add quinoa into one – great idea!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 20, 2010 at 8:54 am

That burger actually looks delicious to me. I must be hungry. :)

Brandi May 20, 2010 at 8:55 am

How fun! And that quinoa black bean burger looks awesome!

Jennifer (take the day off) May 20, 2010 at 9:02 am

I totally agree. Houston’s makes the very best veggie burgers! I found a recipe online that claims to taste exactly like Houston’s, but I have a hard time believing that I could replicate such deliciousness at home. I’ll be sure to pass on the recipe if it is a good one!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 9:10 am

Jennifer, I’ve tried several online Houston’s recipes as well. It’s never the same, but please let me if your recipe is successful!

Morgan May 20, 2010 at 9:05 am

I love putting a burger on top of a salad. There’s a great place right outside of Boston that offers that as an option.
And I agree with you about Houston’s veggie burger. it’s the best one!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 20, 2010 at 9:10 am

What’s the difference between grassfed and grassfed finished? And why is the latter better?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 9:15 am

Samantha, I prefer cows that are 100% grass fed. Farms can say their cows are *grass fed* and then fatten them up with grains before they go to slaughter. Cows were meant to eat grass, NOT grains, and beef from 100% grass fed cattle is higher in omega 3′s while beef from grain fed cattle has a higher concentration of omega 6′s.

Erica May 20, 2010 at 9:17 am

What a cool joint! I am sending this post to Josh’s Mom and Dad. The burger looks incredible and Josh and I both love a good fried pickle on occasion. Enjoy the walk

Ameena May 20, 2010 at 9:20 am

I love veggie burgers and this one’s combination of black beans and quinoa makes me really want to find a Burger Up place near me!!

Heather May 20, 2010 at 9:29 am

burger up should TOTALLY move out to colorado! YUM!

Sarah May 20, 2010 at 9:44 am

Your salad looks divine!
So, beef is 100% grass-fed if it is grass-fed-finished?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Sarah, Yep.

Anna May 20, 2010 at 9:57 am

Ohh, I love the visible quinoa in that burger!!! Yum! And can I just say that I love your wavy hair? I wish mine would wave like that!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Anna, My hair got really wavy in my 20′s. Before that, it was much straighter. So, ya never know!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 20, 2010 at 10:09 am

You are so right about the lameness that is some restaurants’ veggie burgers. This is exactly why I will probably never eat at Buffalo Wild Wings again (unless they make some changes)!

I’m so glad you had a good food experience at this new place. There is a new burger place here in Louisville that sounds similar and apparently their veggie burgers are to die for. Going to have to try it soon!

p.s. You look great, Mama-to-be :)

Marla May 20, 2010 at 10:09 am

Sorry for a personal question, but someone told me that they were told not to eat soft cheeses such as goats while pregnant.
Have you ever heard that?
thanks

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Marla, Yep, it’s true due to possible contamination with listeria. However, I heard as long as the cheese is pasteurized, then it’s fine. Same goes with why pregnant women are told not to eat deli meats. I’ve been craving deli ham like crazy, but I make sure to heat it before eating.

jenny (green food diaries) May 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

looks awesome. i might have to ask my fave veg restaurant to do that for me next time, topping salad with a veg burger, rather than order two salads into one bowl (because clearly one standard salad isn’t enough).

Sarah R May 20, 2010 at 10:18 am

I had a similar burger/salad combo at a restaurant–only I went for the beef. It had roasted beets and sweet potato and it was topped with the burger. So yummy! I love restaurants that get their ingredients from local sources. It shows you that they are invested in the community. Oh and can I just comment that CD and his mother look so much alike?!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 20, 2010 at 10:23 am

Yum! Your burger looks great!

That’s awesome that they make their own ketchup! I actually read an article yesterday about how Hunt’s is removing the high fructose corn syrup from their ingredients in their ketchup! Good news there!

Marina May 20, 2010 at 10:25 am

burger really looks great!
I love beets, really adore them, and recently, I made a beet burger, sort of. cooked buckwheat, grated beet…. topped with a bit of cheese, amazing.
You and your family really look nice and happy :)

Katie May 20, 2010 at 10:27 am

There is a local burger joint where I live that I love! They get their beef from a local ranch and it is all grass-finished. Isn’t the taste so much better? The place I go to has a burger that comes with goat cheese and beets and it is served on an english muffin. The last time I went there I got that burger on a salad. Great minds think alike!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Katie, yes, great minds do think alike, and yes, I love the grass fed beef. So tasty, and I know it’s so much better for me!

Lara (Thinspired) May 20, 2010 at 10:39 am

Aww, love the family photos Heabie! This place sounds yummy. Ok, I’ve wondered about the grass-fed terminology, because you are the only person I’ve seen say “grass finished.” What exactly is the difference? Can grass-fed cows be “finished” on grains? I’ve never seen grass finished for sale anywhere!

How are you feeling? Hopefully the worst of it is behind you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Lara, Yes, beef can be labeled “grass fed”, but unless it says 100% grass fed or “grass fed FINISHED”, then the cows are probably fattened up with grains the last few weeks of their lives. Cows were meant to eat grass, not grains, and grass fed finished beef is higher in omega 3′s while grain fed beef has a higher concentration of omega 6′s. Chris and I had to shop around but finally found a couple of local farms that sell the grass fed finished stuff, and that’s all we buy.

Feeling much during the daytime – thanks for asking. After dinner, I still get sick, but I’ll take that over feeling awful all day long! Hope you and Matthew are doing well!

fartygirl May 20, 2010 at 11:04 am

I ALWAYS want to ask for a veggie burger on a salad at restaurants and wuss out! Totally gonna try it now, thanks! That burger looks yummy. Not as yummy as your brother, but close. Hahahahahaha! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Farty, Scott is single. :)

julie May 20, 2010 at 11:14 am

what a great idea! i always wonder if restaurants will do that for you and i guess they do! next time i’m for sure asking

Evan Thomas May 20, 2010 at 11:21 am

I’m very jealous of your Burger Up. Both a grass fed burger and a housemade veggie burger would be well welcomed. I think the best we have around me is a bison burger,

Ana May 20, 2010 at 11:24 am

That burger does look great!!
And agreed, 30 minute walks can do wonders for the mind and body too!

Meg May 20, 2010 at 11:31 am

Ya’ll are beautiful, and so is that burger! Haha! But you guys definitely take the prize ;) I love it when I feel good about eating out at a place – this one sounds like a winner. I wish they had more places like that around here.

Happy Thursday Heather!
Meg

p.s. you can really see your pregnancy “glow” :) gorgeous!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Thanks Meg! :)

~Jessica Zara~ May 20, 2010 at 11:33 am

Walking is a great mind-clearer and anxiety-reliever, particularly in the sunshine :D

That burger looks delish, but I’m distracted by how amazingly alike CD and his Mom are ~ they’re the spitting image of each other!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Jessica, Ha, you should see CD’s dad – I think he and Chris look like so much alike.

saltytooth May 20, 2010 at 11:41 am

That burger looks delicious. We need a good veggie burger in Milwaukee!

Kellie May 20, 2010 at 11:47 am

I agree with boca burgers at restaurants. If I wanted one I would have made one myself. I still seem to order them, but a handmade one would be so much better.

idreamoftahini May 20, 2010 at 11:57 am

I have yet to find a local spot that has a good veggie burger. I agree, I’m tired of paying for a frozen patty I can buy at the store. Although now that I’m eating vegan, I’m sure I’ll find one that is perfect, except it will be made with egg.

Jenna May 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm

That burger looks out of this world! I usually love a big old bun when I get a burger out, but this salad creation actually is looking like it’d have potential for my stomach!

eatmovelove May 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Looks great. Quinoa veggie burger? Interesting!
We go to a place here too that is so popular – but SO noisy – it’s crazy…and the lineup is usually out the door – but it’s worth it :)

Carbzilla May 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Yeah – I was wondering how many “Your brother is a babe” comments there would be. I think the girls are being rather shy.

Super cute that you all got together to have lunch! I had the yummiest beets & goat cheese salad (with one hunkin’ slab ‘o bacon) at WDW. Photos up soon. It’s the best combo EVER – with or w/o burger!

Hope you’re feeling better!

Susannah May 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm

My favorite veggie burger in town is J. Alexander’s (also homemade) but I do bunless and get an extra side. I will have to start ordering the salad+burger patty combo! I had the lamb burger at Burger Up when they had only been open 2 days, it was very loud then, service was awful but I knew they were trying. My lamb was awesome, we also had sweet potato fries and picke chips. I sent them a tweet saying that the portions were too small and they promised to fix that. :) Glad you all enjoyed it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Susannah, I love J’s veggie burger…a close 2nd to Houston’s! Yes, I thought about the lamb at Burger Up b/c I remember you saying it was so good, and I do love lamb. However, was really curious about the veggie burger, and I have to say I was impressed. However, nothing beats Houston’s…and J’s! Still want to walk this weekend?

Lola May 20, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I need a veggie burger right now!

Melissa R May 20, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Beautiful pic of you and your bro! CD does look like his mamma! I saw that other pic of your mom in the pensacola beach tshirt…I grew up there! Small world :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Melissa, My brother went to OCS in Pensacola before becoming a naval aviator. Lovely beaches ya got down there…do you know if any oil has hit them yet? :(

Hayley @ Breath of Fire May 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Yum, the burger looks crunchy. And so true about the walking.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 20, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Wow, that’s like the most perfect salad ever. But the fried pickes – is that the preggo talking? ;) Kidding, fried pickles sounds amazing with or without pregnancy. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Diana, I think fried pickles are a southern thing, and oh my gosh, I have always loved them! Burger Up’s were delicious! Usually I skip them, but I had to try them yesterday and totally used the pregnancy as an excuse. :)

jessica May 20, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Hey! I had that salad for dinner last night, minus the burger. ;) Whole Foods has crumbled goat cheese…did you know this?? I am looking forward to trying this place…is it the one you told me about coming to 12th south?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Jessica, On the salad bar? Did not know that! Usually just skip past all the cheese, and yes, Burger Up is in that new development on the corner of 12th and Kirkwood right next to Las Paletas. Let’s lunch there!

Ali @ Redhead Reports May 20, 2010 at 1:49 pm

That’s awesome that the restaurant let you have a salad with a burger on top! Yum!

BroccoliHut May 20, 2010 at 1:51 pm

So with you on the bummer that occurs when served a Boca patty at a restaurant. That burger looks pretty awesome though–love that you were brave enough to request a patty for your salad.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 20, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I have been loving my quinoa lentil burgers lately. The texture is right on! You guys are adorable. Dang you look like your mom and CD looks like his. I find genetics fascinating! My boys look polar opposite…the oldest is identical to my husband and the little rugrat looks like me. Anyway…I digress…have a great afternoon! Oh and glad you enjoyed your burger salad…really is there any other way to have a burger?

Allison May 20, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Wow! I am a vegetarian, but never thought to put a veggie burger on my salad! Amazing! I love when I have new things to try. Thanks for this advice. Here’ s my favorite veggie burger recipe: http://www.fitandfabliving.com/index.php/high-fiber/2303-all-star-veggie-burger.html. It is sooooo delicious! I know what’s for dinner tomorrow night!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 20, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Thanks for the recipe Allison. Sounds delish. I can’t do tofu, but I bet I could sub tempeh. Yum!

homecookedem May 20, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Oh my goodness that quinoa burger looks wonderful!! I had fried pickles last Sunday when we went out to eat with some friends and they were AWESOME!! :)

runnerforever May 20, 2010 at 3:35 pm

What a great idea to put the burger on the salad!

Mae May 20, 2010 at 3:51 pm

That burger looks DELICIOUS!! It sound like a fun lunch out with the fam… I’m sure they’re so happy for you!

Natalie May 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm

that looks fantastic! And CD looks like his mom!

gina (fitnessista) May 20, 2010 at 6:21 pm

YUM! burgers and salad were destined for each other. especially since beet and goat cheese is my fave ever :)
hope you’re doing well, friend <3
christian dior looks a lot like his madre!
xoxo

Samantha May 20, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I need to make myself walk more…and stop thinking of it as an exercise but more something to enjoy. I only walk when I hike, or take my kid to school. Shame on me!

That burger looks and sounds great, I’d love to try and make a quinoa/black bean burger, YUM! Looks like a good time with great company!

Cat May 20, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Loved this post girl! I read it to Chris…he was so glad you liked your quinoa burger! Thanks for the excellent and honest review. The quinoa burger is vegan…no egg. Pretty amazing.

rachael May 20, 2010 at 8:58 pm

i alwaaays put veggie burgers on my salad or combine them WITH salad to make a wrap. delicious! (:

yogiclarebear May 20, 2010 at 9:13 pm

well, nice burger, but heather your blue eyes are sparkling in that picture! hope you are feeling good girl. im starting pre-natal yoga at my YMCA…wish you were here. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 21, 2010 at 6:42 am

Clare, Me too! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 20, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Savor eating out in a restaurant. You will be nursing a baby with one hand and trying to eat with the other. Probably in the privacy of your own home for awhile after the birth :) Enjoy eating out…trust me, it’s the #1 thing I miss! 3 yrs later, I still suck at just relaxing when out b/c there is always a “kid crisis”…Skylar fell off a chair yesterday at Starbucks and nearly cracked her skull open. Fine now. But yeah, enjoy eating out for now :)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 21, 2010 at 2:26 am

That burger + salad look great. I love when restaurants offer unique burgers. I’d totally request an out-of-the-ordinary combo like that, too! :)

Jenn

melruns May 21, 2010 at 5:52 am

There is Houston’s in NYC, and I have to agree. Thay have a rockstar veggie burger. Hands down.

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 21, 2010 at 6:16 am

burgers with the family! time well spent!! <3

RhodeyGirl May 21, 2010 at 6:19 am

Sounds like such a fun afternoon! My bean burgers usually fall apart too.

Have a great day!

lori ghany May 22, 2010 at 8:10 am

these look GREAT Heather. I was inspired to look up a recipe for the quinoa black bean burgers and found two good ones:

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 22, 2010 at 9:01 am

Cool – thanks Lori. Recipe sounds easy enough. :)

lori ghany May 22, 2010 at 8:11 am

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 7:53 am

Thanks Lori! The sweet potato version sound delicious!

Katie May 23, 2010 at 10:08 am

You are so right about the walking – I used to swim/bike/run but have had to change everything since having a baby (not everyone does, but I did). That was really demoralizing for me at first, but actually your blog helped me work through that and try walking and yoga – it gave me hope that doing those things was still “worthwhile” exercise and bring strength and health even though not intense cardio like triathlon! I’m at least opening myself up to that belief, after years of depending on that cardio for my sense of well-being. It’s still hard for me to get to yoga classes very often, but I CAN almost always take a walk with the baby, and it does help me feel better, though I am almost always grumpy starting out… :) :)

Your salad looks really good, although I have yet to try beets (local FSA just delivered some this week so I will be trying them out!)…

Katie May 23, 2010 at 10:57 am

oh and for what it’s worth, I still really enjoy eating out. My secret weapon is a husband who decided to give me the gift of mealtime = break time from my 24/7 job. He doesn’t mind holding the baby while he eats (if she’s awake). It takes some juggling for him, but he doesn’t seem to mind, and I get to really enjoy my meal!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 11:22 am

Katie, I love that you guys still go out to eat. I know others who never leave the house once the baby is born, and I don’t want that to be me and CD. I need my outings!