Early Morning Cravings

by HEAB on May 21, 2010

Early yesterday morning, as CD and I wandered around the kitchen, he looked at me and said, I want coffee. I looked at him and said, I want potatoes. McDonald’s hash browns smothered in ketchup is what I really wanted, and although I’ve given into many of my cravings lately, I draw the line at 6:30 AM runs to MickeyD’s.

Picture 1.png

Instead, I cut up some baby red potatoes, seasoned them with The Flying Biscuit Cafe’s Moondust seasoning mix (recipe found in the restaurant’s cookbook), and stuck the potatoes in a 450° oven to roast for about 30 minutes. I then realized we were all out of hot cocoa, and for that one, I was willing to leave the house before 7. So, I told Chris to listen for the oven timer, and I left for the grocery store with a mission. Upon my return, I enjoyed a nice big plate of home fries with ketchup alongside a goat cheese and ham omelet.

Much better than McDonald’s, no?

CD always laughs because whenever I go to the store for one item, I always return with several shopping bags full of food, and yesterday was no exception. Yes, I came home with plenty of hot cocoa, but I also bought a couple of pints of So Delicious Coconut Milk ice-cream (the Cookies ‘n Cream and German Chocolate flavors) as well as some frozen waffles. Completely random, but I’ve been craving waffles lately. Pancakes do not sound good at all, but I’ve had waffles on the brain for weeks now. Unfortunately, I don’t own a waffle iron. So, I went with the whole grain Eggo’s.

OK, so frozen waffles are much better than I remember. Loved my breakfast this morning!

Two toasted waffles topped with Trader Joe’s plain goat milk yogurt, 1 chopped pear, a drizzle of maple syrup, and lots ‘o cinnamon.

Are you a frozen waffle fan, and if so, what is your favorite brand/flavor? I have a feeling I might be buying these more often. :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 21, 2010 at 7:58 am

much better for everyone<3

haha yes sometimes u gotta draw the line.. next thing you know its midnight runs for fudge sundaes..mmm…fudge… lol

Beth May 21, 2010 at 8:01 am

I like frozen waffles! I usually buy the Vans ones. Those breakfast potatoes look so good. I do a potato hash a lot of times but I should stick to regular old roasting from time to time because those look gooood.

Meg May 21, 2010 at 8:03 am

Vans are pretty good :) Sometimes I buy Ian’s wafflewich’s too ;) Prettymuch any waffle is gonna beat McDonalds breakfast, and your hashbrowns could put McD’s out of business.

Happy Friday!

Shelly May 21, 2010 at 8:03 am

I love roasted potatoes! My dinner the other night was a roasted potatoes (I like to season mine with pepper and thyme) alongside a big pile of sauteed Kale, all topped with a poached egg. Yum!!

Evan Thomas May 21, 2010 at 8:12 am

I am loving these craving attacks. I’ve been going through white potatoes like it’s my job lately, and that breakfast sounds delicious

Carolyn May 21, 2010 at 8:18 am

I totally would have hit McD’s for the egg mcmuffin meal WITH hashbrown… at 6:30…regardless of hot chocolate… hehe… Love all your foods lately Heabs.. gosh if i was really feeling a defibillator moment it would have been bacon egg and cheese biscuit WITH hashbrowns instead…

Instead i ate a giant pink lowish sodium roast beef sammy for lunch with the no salt mustard… on the new “puffy” slimwich i told you about…

Frozen waffle flavor? Eggo blueberry for sure…

Anna May 21, 2010 at 8:27 am

Mmmmm…as healthy as my daily diet has become, I still have mornings where I crave a Mickey D’s hashbrown. They’re just so….crunchy!!!! :-)

Your taters look just as good though!!!

Kimberly May 21, 2010 at 8:30 am

OMG!! The German Chocolate coconut milk ice cream is to DIE for!! I REALLY had to refrain from eating the whole thing at one time :)

I love Van’s brand gluten free flax waffles. They are so nice and thick and soft on the inside. I like them a tad bit crispy around the edges with some tofutti cream cheese and all fruit preserves–YUM!!

Have a GREAT day!
XOXO

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 21, 2010 at 8:32 am

They discontinued my favorite waffles, but the Vans are pretty good.
Love you HEAB

P.S. someone said something sweet about you in one of my comments today:

Just to let you know, I think she’s 100% right about you; you’re, without a doubt, the most caring blogger I know, and I don’t think I’ve thanked you enough for that.

allison May 21, 2010 at 8:32 am

your breakfast was SO much better than mcds!!! i bet youre happy you waited! i will eat a frozen waffle on occasion. most often i buy the kashi brand. i think the ones that come with blueberries :)

VeggieGirl May 21, 2010 at 8:33 am

I used to love the Van’s waffles – mini and regular size :)

Meghan May 21, 2010 at 8:34 am

I LOVE the Nature’s Path waffles, particularly the Hemp Plus flavor in the green box. ;) They are so delicious, I find ‘em at Whole Foods.

operagirlcooks May 21, 2010 at 8:34 am

Just go with those cravings, HEAB! Clearly your baby is a waffle lover :-) . Also, yes, your breakfast looks much better than McDonalds! I wish I had time to make something that good this morning!

Marina May 21, 2010 at 8:39 am

It’s so nice to see how your in-tune with your cravings and needs. I wish I could listen and hear my body that way.
Btw, your omelet looks delicious. I really need to try some goat cheese, soon

ashley May 21, 2010 at 8:40 am

Nature’s Path makes awesome waffles!! They have so many different varieties and great ingredient lists. Love them!

Sarah May 21, 2010 at 8:40 am

Your omelet and potatoes looks SO much better than McDonald’s. I’m not a big fan of waffles, but I MAY be copying your first breakfast very soon:-).

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 21, 2010 at 8:44 am

I can never go into a grocery store without buying way more than I had planned to! This is why I try to keep my grocery trips to once a week — we’d spend WAY too much money on food if I went more than that! :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 21, 2010 at 8:44 am

I haven’t bought frozen waffles in forever (but they sound good now, haha!) but I like Van’s and Kashi Heart to Heart. Yum!

Heather May 21, 2010 at 8:48 am

DROOOOOOL…i’m not even hungry, but no doubt i could down everything in this post in 5 minutes! yummy :)

idreamoftahini May 21, 2010 at 8:52 am

I agree, your potatoes look so much better than McDonalds.

German Chocolate Coconut milk Ice cream – Oh my!! I love their coconut and chocolate peanut butter….I haven’t seen German chocolate yet, but now I’m on a mission.

Erin May 21, 2010 at 8:57 am

I’m like you, I go to the store for ONE thing and come home with a bag of stuff. Waffles are always on the list. I don’t have a waffle maker, either! I love Van’s Belgian style, and their gluten free variety is pretty good, too.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 21, 2010 at 9:03 am

Waffle sandwich: peanut butter and banana sandwiched between 2 eggos. Eat with hands.

Little Bookworm May 21, 2010 at 9:10 am

I’ve never really had waffles but the ones in your post look great! :D

julie May 21, 2010 at 9:22 am

i neeeed to find some not expensive freezer waffles!! i haven’t had them in so long and have been craving them like none other! i would be all about leaving my house at the crack of dawn for breakfast essentials. i’ve been known to wait at the local grocery store for it to open to get my hands on some apples ;)

enjoy your weekend girl!

Carly May 21, 2010 at 9:23 am

Hi -

I had major weird cravings during my first trimester and a little after (I am 23 weeks now) but they went away and luckily I went back to my healthy diet (mostly!)

Anyway, I had cravings for waffles and basically all things carbs. I swear I knew our baby was a girl way before we found out b/c she is a little carb monster. I really like the Vans waffles much like others who have commented but I would also add that the ones with flax seed are delish and made me feel a little better about buying them.

Good luck getting through the “food weirdness” as I called it. It goes away and then you can look forward to the random other things that happen to your body :)

Take care,

Carly

Lorie May 21, 2010 at 9:26 am

Hey Heather-

I would definitely recommend the Kashi GoLean waffles! It’s been awhile since I’ve had them, but the blueberry and strawberry flax are pretty good (not as good as fresh made, but for frozen, I think they work).

Take care!

Lorie

Danielle May 21, 2010 at 9:39 am

The potato dish looks realllyyy good (I love the crispy outside)

I love the Van’s waffles! Oh…and if you see Elmo waffles (prob in the kids section), those are really good too :D

p.s. I totally wouldn’t have judged you on a 6am Micky Ds run ;)

Lori May 21, 2010 at 9:39 am

Nature’s Path Hemp frozen waffles are so good! I like to put peanut butter and applesauce on them, or plain yogurt and dried cranberries. Yum! I do love Eggos, though, but it’s been years…

Susan May 21, 2010 at 9:51 am

Nature’s Path is my fave too…all of them. Right now I like the Red Berry Flax Plus ones. I’ve never thought to put so many good things on them though – must try that!

Mama Pea May 21, 2010 at 9:54 am

The girls and PD like the Kashi Blueberry (personally, I think they taste like cardboard). Now I really just want to buy you a waffle iron! And some hashbrowns.

Have a great weekend Mama HEAB!

Gracie May 21, 2010 at 10:01 am

I used to get Kashi frozen waffles. They’re pretty good, but I think I like Van’s better. They’re fluffier!

Anna May 21, 2010 at 10:04 am

I think Vans frozen waffles are pretty good but they’re pricey! I can’t really justify buying them often. Maybe I need to make a bunch of homemade ones and just freeze them myself.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 21, 2010 at 10:13 am

I went to the store the other day for oj and buns. Came out with four bags worth of stuff. I just told Tony what you wrote…he said we have a sickness. I can’t help it. When I am there, I think about things I want or things that we might need in the next couple of days. Mind you, the oj was to go with the vodka he just got…

I have not bought frozen waffles in so long…I am way too cheap. Yours look mighty tasty with all those apples on top!

Erica May 21, 2010 at 10:15 am

hahaha- I’ll be excited when I get preggers some day and have strange cravings. I have a feeling we’re going to be going out for frozen yogurt and pickles on the regular ;) Oh wait…I already crave that now ;) Great breakfast. I can never go to the grocery store for one item

homecookedem May 21, 2010 at 10:19 am

Ok, now I want McDonald’s hashbrowns! haha!! :) That picture looks sadly delicious to me!! haha! ;)

I love frozen waffles. I had some this morning actually. My favorite right now are the Nature’s Path flax plus with figs. So good!! :)

Dominique May 21, 2010 at 10:23 am

For the longest time I was eating Nature’s Path frozen waffles. The first variety I tried was the Flax Plus and then the Mega Sunrise. They were great to eat at work where I could just pop ‘em into the toaster. I would usually eat them plain, which totally grossed everyone out, but on some days I would go all out and eat them with sliced peaches and whipped cream!

Errign May 21, 2010 at 10:24 am

I like Vans & Kashi! :)

Stephanie May 21, 2010 at 10:32 am

Hands down, Van’s Waffles. I love mine with applesauce.

jenny (green food diaries) May 21, 2010 at 10:34 am

oh my god potato wedges… every day after school in high school, my friends and i walked to the hot bar of the nearest supermarket and devoured a big plate of spicy potato wedges (they were called ‘mojos’). mmmm!

Katherine: What About Summer? May 21, 2010 at 10:49 am

I was kind of wishing to see you darken the doors of mcdonalds. Just to see what your reaction would be…

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 21, 2010 at 10:56 am

Katherine, ya never know…I might just show up there one of these days. ;)

Heather May 21, 2010 at 10:52 am

Relatively new reader and am absolutely loving your blog. Gained way too much weight during my pregnancy; lost about 25 pounds in the last year but have hit a massive plateau with about 20 pounds still to go. Your blog is giving me fantastic ideas for incorporating more veggies into my diet, a big challenge for me.

Eggo Nutri-Grain waffles are definitely a staple in my household. They’re fantastic. I love them with PB&J or with a bit of PB and a sliced banana.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 21, 2010 at 10:58 am

Heather, So happy to read your comment! I promise when I’m feeling better, there will be even more veggies. Just can’t seem to get in many greens these days, but I have a feeling they’ll be back. Thanks for reading. :)

Katie May 21, 2010 at 10:53 am

I got a waffle iron at a thrift store for about $2 a long time ago and went on a huge waffle kick. So much better than the frozen, although Van’s makes a gluten free one that is pretty tasty.

gavrielski May 21, 2010 at 11:35 am

I’m having trouble finding tasty gluten-free frozen waffles, but I do have to say that I have been making your coconut flour gluten-free pancakes at LEAST once a week since reading the recipe about a month ago! They are so delicious and perfect with lots of delicious toppings (warm fruit, Greek yogurt, cinnamon, almond butter, etc.). It is so great that you’re finding things that you’re happy and comfortable eating! And those potatoes sound delicious (I wish I could be at home cooking right now!). Enjoy your day, Heather! :) –Gavi

Michelle May 21, 2010 at 11:39 am

We eat Nutri-grain low-fat waffles. Very very good.

j May 21, 2010 at 11:50 am

I have tried eggo, as well as many flavors of Vans, Nature’s Path, and Kashi. Personally, I hate eggos (sorry all you eggo lovers!)and for years avoided frozen waffles because I thought they would all taste like the eggos I disliked so much as a child. However, whole foods introduced me to a whole new world of waffles… and I love them. I really like SUPER crispy waffles, so to me the Kashi blueberry are the best of the best. However, if you like a more fluffy, soft waffle I would recommend Van’s. I think nature’s path falls somewhere in between these two in terms of Soft and fluffy versus crispy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 21, 2010 at 12:57 pm

J, I’m a crispy girl – thanks for the tip! :)

runnerforever May 21, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Now those are some loaded waffles! I like the blueberry Kashi ones with lots of berries heated on top.

Lindsey Mills May 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Try Nature’s Path Flax Plus/Hemp Plus waffles! They’re my favorite!!

eatmovelove May 21, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I love that your following what you want…and not turning down waffles that are store-bought…it’s all food and too much analysis is obsessive …a sign that it’s time to focus on other things.
I love waffles! Have plain buttermilk here now…but also love the cinnamon :) …I’ve always wondered what the real diff is with them and pancakes…but yeah I can see it…

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 21, 2010 at 1:19 pm

So much better than micky-d’s! A meal like that is so tasty for dinner too :) . I’m not a big frozen waffle fan now but growing up I use loved them.

Lola May 21, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Yummy waffles!!!

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas May 21, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Vans Organic and Kashi. Or my homemade freezer stash, when I’m feeling really industrious.

My first trimester craving was McD’s fries. I’m happy to say I only gave in twice, and then it went away. No cravings for the rest of my pregnancy, except maybe cinnamon.

Kellie May 21, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I like the Van’s Light Whole Grain ones. I can only find them at Whole Foods, so I have to make a special trip.

Ilana May 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm

We must be on the same wavelength. Goodness I hope I’m not pregnant. Potatoes and waffles, two things I rarely eat, are all that I’ve been craving these days. I got some brand of waffles called like Organic Kidz or something ridiculous but they were organic, whole wheat, and the kind with four mini waffles fused together. I’m a sucka for that stuff. My fave back in the day were those eggo cinnamon toast ones…mmm..

BroccoliHut May 21, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Love your healthy hashbrowns!
I love frozen waffles, particularly anything by Nature’s Path.

petersenplace May 21, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Kashi waffles all the way! Love frozen waffles, so quick and tasty.

Melissa S. May 21, 2010 at 4:17 pm

oh, those potatoes look awesome! now i want some too…tasty tasty!

Tracy May 21, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I love Nature’s Path waffles! Try Flax Plus with Figs, so good!

jqlee May 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm

yes, much better than mcdonalds! good work girl.

Jenn (GH) May 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm

“I draw the line at 6:30 AM runs to MickeyD’s.” Your adorable!!! I can’t remember the name of the frozen waffles that I have bought before….they come from Trader Joe’s though. When we make waffles at home we usually make extras to freeze.

Krystina May 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Your blog is one of my favorites. You’re adorable. :)

My favorite frozen waffles are Nature’s Path flax (either mixed berry or fig)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Thanks Krystina. :)

KELLY May 21, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Heather, these waffles are incredible. Thay are called Gingerbread waffles and have pumpkin in them..

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 21, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Cool – thanks Kelly. Now I really wish I had a waffle iron! ;)

Savanah May 21, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Gotta disagree about the pancakes–have you tried the frozen ones?

I love Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Pancakes toasted twice so they’re a bit crispy. Top with sugar-free maple syrup and 1 tbs per pancake of almond butter. Yum!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 21, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Savanah, Yeah, I usually love pancakes and was making them at least once a week. However, they just don’t sound good lately. I’m sure they’ll be back in my life someday, but until then I think I’ll experiment more with waffles. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 21, 2010 at 8:25 pm

i can sense your genuine! excitement over your brekkie. it’s the simple things, isn’t it :)

Pure2Raw Twins May 21, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Our dad is a huge waffle lover. Michelle loves pancakes and for me, not sure ;)

MarathonVal May 21, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Haha, I’m glad CD’s reaction to you going overboard at the store is to laugh… sometimes my husband looks at me with a glare or a deer in headlights look in his eyes when that happens in our household! ;) It’s IMPOSSIBLE to go to the grocery store and only get one thing!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 21, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I love frozen waffles. Kashi Heart to Heart multigrain do it for me , and of course plain ole Eggos. ;)

Your omelets always look so perfectly browned and fluffy!

Jenn

rachael May 22, 2010 at 6:51 am

i have been craving potatoes with ketchup too lately, i need to get on that! your waffles look delicious!

Susan May 22, 2010 at 7:46 am

Okay, I’m late to the par-tay, but I consider myself a bit of a *ahem* waffle expert :P Keep in mind I’ve never tried Kashi waffles because we can’t buy them here, but my all-time favourite freezer waffles are Nature’s Path Maple Cinnamon. To really take it up a notch, thaw them out in the microwave, drench them in an egg mixture, and fry them for french toast!

Gosh. Now I want waffles.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 22, 2010 at 9:02 am

Susan, Please come down to Nashville and make these for me. Might even be worth buying a microwave. :)

inmytummy May 22, 2010 at 8:33 am

Ooh, I love The Flying Biscuit!

Patricia May 22, 2010 at 10:24 am

Hi Heather, Just started reading your blog a few weeks ago and love your omelets. I have been trying to make them myself but always find tht the inside gets runny while the outside is almost burnt. Do you have any tips on making your beautiful omelets? Maybe you could do a step by step post on how you make your goat cheese & ham omelet … I am eager to learn about it! Patricia

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 22, 2010 at 10:31 am

Patricia, I should do a step by step post as I get this question often. First I spray a small skillet with non-stick cooking spray and warm it up over medium heat (I have a gas range and I find that everything cooks faster. So, it may take longer if you use electric heat). Then, I whisk 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites together and pour the egg mixture into my skillet, allowing them to cook until the eggs are barely runny on top (2 mins maybe?). I then put my fillings right in the center, and flip one side of the omelet over with a thin metal spatula. I let it cook until the cheese melts and eggs looked cooked. I never flip, and so the underside is usually a little more “done” than the top. Hope this helps!

Graygrrrl May 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I love Whole Foods 365 Organic Flax waffles! They taste delicious and help me get the Calcium and Omega-3 I need since I started my plant-based diet. Plus, they’re not expensive!

Nicole May 22, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I used to LOVE the Go Lean ones but they’re not gluten free so now I eat Van’s GF waffles. And I love them. I love eating them with PB and banana. Sometimes I use yogurt/pb/banana, depending on my mood. I absolutely have to eat them with some kind of nut butter though, and I know you’re off the nut butter right now but yogurt definitely works–and the picture above looks awesome!!
You sound very upbeat. It makes me smile. :)

lisa May 22, 2010 at 7:56 pm

yum!! i actually had frozen blueberry pancakes this morning by DeWafflebakkers. SO. GOOD. i did a review on some of their products on my website if you want to check out their other flavors, but they make apple cinnamon and sweet potatoe waffles- OH. MY. best frozen waffles i think ive ever eaten. seriosuly- you gotta try these waffles!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 7:47 am

Lisa, I saw those waffles in Whole Foods yesterday. I will definitely try them as I was totally drooling over their sweet potato version. Thanks for the tip!

{ 1 trackback }