Nashville's Current Best Veggie Burger

by HEAB on May 22, 2010

You all know I love a good veggie burger. Houston’s makes my favorite, but sadly enough, the restaurant left Nashville several years ago. :( However, coming in as my 2nd favorite restaurant veggie burger is J. Alexanders, and Alice (CD’s mom) was so kind as to treat us to lunch there yesterday. Thanks Alice!

I ordered the veggie burger (minus the cheese and mayo) with a side of salsa, and instead of fries, I subbed the vegetable of the day, fire-roasted artichokes. Prepare to drool…

Close up of the veggie goodness…

Oh my goodness – can you believe that is all veggie? If only I could recreate this burger at home, I would eat it everyday! I’m thinking it’s some kind of brown rice/black bean concoction, but I have no idea what else is in there. CD, guess you’ll just have to take me to J’s more often so that I can figure out the recipe. ;)

Alice ordered the burger as well, but only ate half. So, we brought the rest home, and I ate it atop a salad today for lunch. My bowl consisted of baby romaine, Annie’s honey mustard vinaigrette, spicy Falafel Chips, and the leftover burger, which tasted wonderful all crumbled up on the salad.

That salad was just what I needed after a morning of cleaning. These past few months, I’ve just let the house go because honestly, I’ve had zero energy. All I really kept up with was the laundry and keeping the kitchen clean. However, with 2 hairy dogs, I’ve got to stay on top of sweeping, vacuuming, etc. I’m starting to feel like my old self again and spent the morning ridding the house of dog hair and doing laundry. Feels good to be moving once again as for a while, there were many days when I didn’t even feel like getting out of bed. The late nights are still a bit rough, but the days are so much better. Thanks again to everyone for all your support, advice, and encouragement and many thanks to Alice for a wonderful visit and for all your help with the house! The pups miss you already. :)

Now, to all of you who live near a J. Alexanders, go enjoy yourself a veggie burger, and to those of you that don’t, I have two words: ROAD TRIP! ;)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Oh does that look amazing!!! I love a good veggie burger, and can’t stand when places only have Boca burgers instead of homemade ones!!! Hope you’re feeling well!

Ana May 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Wow, burger looks amazingly delicious!! (almost doesn’t even look like it is a veggie burger)
Your plate looks so good with the burger and those artichokes…Yum!!
Glad to know you are starting to feel better!

VeggieGirl May 22, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I’ve been to J. Alexander’s many times in the past, but never really had a “wow” meal. Maybe I’ll give them ONE more chance ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm

VeggieGirl, Really? I am not a big fan of chain restaurants, but my whole family LOVES J’s!

eatmovelove May 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Holy crap that looks good. That’s a burger! I agree with Ana – looks like beef…ymmm…hopefully you’ll start feeling consistently better soon. And yes I want a ROAD trip bad.

Anna May 22, 2010 at 12:35 pm

The name of the restaurant makes me think of America’s next top model :-)

Yummmmy burger though! Looks so meaty!

Tanya May 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Yeah, I love Houston’s veggie burger too. Never been to J Alexander’s but I saw one when we lived in Cinci for a year. None down here though…..but we have Houston’s, so I’m safe for now :)

Little Bookworm May 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm

That burgers look great. Glad you are starting to feel better! :)

Carrie @ I See Monsters May 22, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I looooooooooove J. Alexander’s veggie burger! It has an amazing texture. Yum!

Justine May 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Usually veggie burgers look uber dry and not that tempting, but that one looks to die for! Yupie for getting some energy back!

Heather May 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Holy Crap-do they deliver?! That artichoke looks incredible!!!
So is J.Alexander Miss Jay or Mr. Jay?? lame America’s next top model reference–sorry :(
Anyway, looks like you’re feeling better! :D

Stefanie May 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm

That does look good. I think I’m living in the wrong state for good food. Glad you are feeling better. :-)

katebynumbers May 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm

That looks amazing! Definitely thought it was meat on first glance.

brianne May 22, 2010 at 1:48 pm

heather, i live in franklin and LOVE j alexander’s. i’m more tempted by those artichokes than the veggie burger – i love theirs! j’s is my favorite restaurant in nashville to get consistently good food – i’ve never had a bad experience there!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Brianne, I love J’s too. Not a big fan of chain restaurants, but we go there all the time. You’re right – the food is great, and I’ve never had a bad experience there. Impeccable service as well. Thanks for reading – love hearing from local HEABers. P.S. Artichoke hearts were so good, but my favorite veggie-of-the-day is J’s braised red cabbage. YUM!

runnerforever May 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I have heard such great things about J Alexander’s, although I hear it is a bit pricy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 22, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Runnerforever, J’s is kind of pricey – most entrees are between $15 and $20…and totally worth every penny. :)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 22, 2010 at 1:51 pm

That looks fantastic! I love veggie burgers, especially when they even resemble a regular burger. YUM :)

Jenn

Evan Thomas May 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm

That burger looks so real! I feel like other burgers must have some burger envy of it

itsbliss May 22, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Oh my gosh that burger looks incredible! That would even make avid meat-eaters jealous.

Danielle May 22, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Love veggie burgers! My only caveat is that they’re often very soy-based and I try to limit my soy… but if this one is all vegetables? Yes please! I’m on my way ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 22, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Danielle, I avoid most soy products as well, and there is no tofu in J’s burger. :)

Pure2Raw Twins May 22, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Veggie burger looks GREAT! YUM. It has been a long time since I have had one, this makes me crave it ;) I hear ya on having no energy to clean! I sometimes can hardly keep up or something always pops us and takes my time away. I need to get a maid!

Still Life in Southeast Asia May 22, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I’d pay $15 for that beauty of a veggie burger. Wow.

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 22, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Oh, wow!! That artichoke looks fabulous, reminds me that I have one in the fridge!

Carbzilla May 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Glad you mentioned the artichoke – I’ve never seen them prepared quite that way. Looks yummy.

I hear ya on the housekeeping. I got out of practice when I was working full-time, and now I can’t quite get back into it. Vacuuming and clearing the sink are the bare minimum. Redecorating and painting – what’s that?

Glad you’re feeling a little better. Hopefully it will get easier!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Carbzilla, How is the job search going?

inmytummy May 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Turns out I do live near a J. Alexanders. I’ll have to try it sometime. That veggie burger looks great.

jenny (green food diaries) May 22, 2010 at 5:02 pm

that burger looks amazingly juicy, and the artichokes to die for!! i miss burgers.

Lola May 22, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Twice in a row you’ve got me drooling for a veggie burger!

Hayley May 22, 2010 at 5:48 pm

That veggie burger looks so meat-like. I love when other people give me their leftovers! Makes the deliciousness laaaast.

Rachael May 22, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Glad you were able to truly enjoy a meal. And god bless mother-in-laws and their ability to clean – mine would happily windex my sidewalk if she could!

idreamoftahini May 22, 2010 at 7:30 pm

That veggie burger looks really tasty!!! Also, the artichoke looks fabulous. I’ve never thought of them grilled. I actually have never bought one whole either and not sure I’d know what to do with it…………or how to eat it, lol.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 7:45 am

Idreamoftahini, I’ve never bought a whole artichoke either, but I love J’s version. If I could make it like that at home, I would buy them all the time!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 22, 2010 at 7:43 pm

NEED TO DO A ROAD TRIP STAT!!!! god i miss them!!

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy May 22, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Whoa there!! Hot veggie patty coming through! I’ve never, ever seen a veggie patty look that good!

BroccoliHut May 22, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Whoa! That veggie burger looks phenom!

Alisa May 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I loooove veggie burger salads and haven’t had one in so long. Think I may have to make one soon.

Glad you are doing so well HDEAB :)

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) May 22, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I need to find Houston’s best veggie burger. We have a Houston’s Restaurant, so maybe I’ll start there!

love almond butter 2 May 23, 2010 at 2:33 am

HI there Heather!

I love your blog – site… I love almond butter too and I wanted to recommend to you and your readers my favorite almond butter. It’s called Almondie. What I like about it the best is its digestibility… I have IBS and my babies (some grown up and 1 still a baby…) were all colicky so I always watch for things that are easy to digest and stuff. What I like about this brand is that in the process of grinding the nuts, first of all,they take off the thin brown layer surrounding the actual white nut. You probably know about the phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors in those layers… anyway, because they remove that layer it is great for the digestive system. Its great for colic (you can check out their testimonial page…) and its great for my IBS problems. as far as i know they are the only brand that does this and since they do everything with cold-process they don’t damage the nutrients – another great plus. Let me know what you think about it, and have a super duper week!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 8:02 am

love almond butter, I’ve never heard of Almondie. Where do you purchase it?

Kristy May 23, 2010 at 7:23 am

I agree that J’s is probably the best, but I’ve recently discovered a close runner up! Have you heard of Gabby’s? It’s right by Greer Stadium, and they were voted best burger by the Scene, but the veggie burger is to die for. They’re only open for lunch Mon-Thur, and until 7:30 on Friday, but so worth it. He buys buns from a local bakery, local grass fed beef, and local potatoes for the fries. Plus, the prices are so reasonable. The veggie burger comes with a delicious bbq – I actually told my husband it reminded me of the one from J’s. They also have sweet potato fries. I love supporting local businesses! You must try it!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 8:04 am

Kristy, I love Gabby’s. They get their beef from the same farm Chris and I buy ours, and it’s grass fed finished. I’ve only been there once, and got the beef burger, but good to know they make a good veggie version as well. I’ll get that next time…with sweet potato fries of course!

Carrie @ I See Monsters May 23, 2010 at 8:05 am

Kristy, I just went to Gabby’s for the first time last week and loved it! Of course, I totally got a bacon swiss burger instead of the veggie, LOL. I’ll have to try the veggie one next time. The sweet potato fries were heavenly.

Tracy May 23, 2010 at 9:48 am

omg! I’ve been itching to try J.Alex’s veggie burger but have never taken the plunge (you just never know what you’re going to get w/ veggie burgers)! I can’t wait to try one next time. My husband & I love that restaurant!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness May 23, 2010 at 10:01 am

There’s a J. Alexander’s near where I live, but I never bothered, thinking it probably didn’t have much down by alley.. but wow, that burger looks amazing. Definitely on my go-to list now!

Emily May 23, 2010 at 11:25 am

J’s roasted artichokes are SO GOOD! Now, I need to go back and try that veggie burger….

Katie May 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm

whoa… that veg burger puts most other BEEF burgers to shame!

So glad you’re starting to feel better :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 24, 2010 at 9:58 am

I have a J. Alexander’s near me! I would love to try their veggie burger. Do you know if it is vegan? Thanks :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 10:04 am

Sarah, As far as I know, if you ask for it without cheese and a dry bun, then yes, the burger is vegan, but I would double check before ordering.

Courtney May 24, 2010 at 11:54 am

Hmm, I just discovered that Denver has both a Houston’s and a J. Alexander’s within driving distance… I think the ultimate test test challenge is on :) Thanks for the recommendations, that burger looks delish! Glad to hear your feeling a little better too!!

Marissa May 24, 2010 at 12:25 pm

That burger looks SOOOOOO good right now! I am hungry!

In my heavier days i was a big fan of Houston’s spinach artichoke dip. All that cheesy goodness on chips…mmmmm

I think that it would just make me ill now ;-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Marissa, My aunt always orders the dip as her meal. I steal some…it’s too good, but I feel bad eating too many since it’s her meal…which is a good thing!

Tyrah May 25, 2010 at 10:01 am

I found myself at J. Alexander’s one day with family for lunch and that’s what I ordered too (except I had the fries ;/) The burger was unbelieveably delicious, I was so surprised!!!