Waffle Wars

by HEAB on May 23, 2010

Let’s talk waffles. I know it’s Pancake Sunday, but I’m in the mood to celebrate Waffle Wednesday. So work with me here. :)

Many of you weighed in with your favorite frozen waffle on this post, and after spending way too much time in the frozen food aisle at Whole Foods yesterday, I came home with the following…

I really wanted to try Kashi waffles, but my Whole Foods doesn’t carry them. So, I went with Nature’s Path Flax Plus with Figs waffles and Van’s Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Waffles, and I couldn’t wait to see how they both compared to the beloved waffles of my youth, Eggo’s.

Saturday’s breakfast consisted of said Eggo’s topped with some plain goat milk yogurt, 1 banana, cinnamon, and maple syrup. So good!

Then, this morning, I prepared myself a little carb fest, including one Nature’s Path waffle topped with 2 mini-scoops of Almond Dream Praline Crunch ice-cream (told you I spent way too much time in the freezer aisle yesterday!) and strawberries along with one Van’s waffle topped with plain goat milk yogurt, Trader Joe’s chunky cinnamon applesauce, a drizzle of maple syrup, and cinnamon.

OK, so the Van’s waffle tasted like cardboard. It had a funky cake-like texture, and I was not a fan. The Nature’s Path waffle was better – more crisp, but honestly, I liked the Eggo waffles the best. Perhaps it’s because I grew up eating them, and that’s the taste I’m used to? I don’t know, but I have to say that my favorite part about this morning’s breakfast was the ice-cream. Damn, that’s good stuff!

There are many more waffles I still need to try, and I’d love to get a waffle maker and experiment with making my own. However, I’ve got a freezer full of frozen waffles to eat first. It’s a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it. All I know is it’s going to take lots of ice-cream to make the Van’s waffles palatable. Darn. ;)

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 23, 2010 at 9:27 am

Never fear!! I’m coming over to help! :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 23, 2010 at 9:29 am

P.S. I’ll trade you a Kashi waffle for some cookies-n-cream coconut ice cream that MY whole foods doesn’t sell. Deal? ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 9:29 am

Katie, Deal! :)

Beth May 23, 2010 at 9:42 am

I had frozen waffles for breakfast too and they were just OK. They’re good in a pinch when you don’t feel like cooking but I like homemade waffles and pancakes so much better.

By the way, I got a super cheap waffle iron that does the trick at Target for 9.99. It’s Chefmate brand. Just sayin’. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 9:43 am

Thanks Beth – I need to buy one!

Ilana May 23, 2010 at 9:47 am

Heather! I’m sure I’m going to be the ten thousandth person to say this but: Get a waffle maker! Mine has to be at least ten years old and is falling apart but it does its job and more! I also use to as a “panini” maker, and for the longest time it claimed permanent residence on my counter. And the best thing ever is to make a huge batch of waffles (my preference, chocolate chip), and freeze them so they can be toasted later. It’s so strange but I love a home-made chocolate chip waffle re-toasted straight from the freezer. Potentially one of my favorite foods. You won’t regret the purchase, I promise :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 10:03 am

Ilana, OK, OK…you had me at chocolate chips. ;)

rachael May 23, 2010 at 9:47 am

that breakfast looks delicious! i have been dying to try that ice cream for such a long time!

katebynumbers May 23, 2010 at 9:48 am

I too loved Eggos as a kid, but my mom refused to buy them because apparently they were too expensive and “unneccessary”. Dang oatmeal and shredded wheat every morning! Now, in my health-concious ways, I stick with the flax Nature’s Path when picking waffles, which I’m a really big fan of.

idreamoftahini May 23, 2010 at 10:03 am

Ever since you mentioned waffles the other day, all I’ve been thinking about is pulling out my waffle maker and making waffles and stuff with some type of ice cream to make ice cream waffle sandwiches!!!

That Almond Dream ice cream looks fabulous. Ever since I gave up dairy, I’ve been so pleasantly surprised at how GOOD all these ice cream subsitutes taste. The bad thing is I have to pace myself to try all them.

gk May 23, 2010 at 10:06 am

Hi Heather. I know what you mean about the Van’s waffles. Try toasting them twice in a row – it helps a little…

Kelly May 23, 2010 at 10:17 am

I just got a waffle maker a few months ago and I no am not sure how I lived without one! It is fabulous and ridicously EASY! But as for froen waffles…I have always like Van’s. But maybe I need to branch out! haha! :)

Errign May 23, 2010 at 10:28 am

I’m with you – the GF Apple Cinnamon Van’s are a little yucky- the regular ones are good though!

fartygirl May 23, 2010 at 10:33 am

Yeah I’d take pancakes over waffles any day. Waffles are only good if you are in a hurry. :)

Nicole May 23, 2010 at 10:40 am

I’m sad you didn’t like the Van’s, although I’ve only had the plain kind and not the apple kind. And I will admit-I do like the Kashi ones better, but they’re not GF.
I bought some coconut flour (finally) yesterday and made pancakes for pancake sunday (i’ve adopted it from you since you’re not feeling pancakes anymore…lol) I found the coconut flour to be interesting..I’m going to have to search for other things I can use it in. Maybe I’ll start blogging again too…lol

Katherine: What About Summer? May 23, 2010 at 11:32 am

I don’t know if you have publix around you, but their generic brand wheat waffles were my favorite in high school.

my only reservation about that ice cream is that the sweetening agent comes before the almond base on the ingredients (if I looked at it correctly; I could be wrong). anyways, ice cream for breakfast is the best way to start a day

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 11:46 am

Katherine, Yep, cane juice before the almonds. :(

We do have a Publix, and those waffles are now on my list. Thanks for the tip!

Stefanie May 23, 2010 at 11:47 am

It would be a shame to have to eat icecream for breakfast but somebody has to do it. :-) I agree with you on the Vans waffles. They just did not taste good.

Ana May 23, 2010 at 11:57 am

Flax Plus (the original one) is my favorite frozen waffle (never tried the ones with figs…) with Kashi GoLean Original as a close second.
I put my waffles in the oven, takes a bit longer but they get crispy and so good, love it! (to be true I don’t even have a toaster, so oven it is for me!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Ana,yeah, we don’t own a toaster either. I toasted my waffles in the toaster oven – 350 degrees for about 4 mins. Nice and crispy. :)

Marina May 23, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I am doing a waffle war on my own too, with my waffle maker. I just can’t make them crunchy. Maybe it’s the recipe, maybe the waffle maker :/
That ice cream sounds awesome

Lara (Thinspired) May 23, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I’ve been dreaming of frozen waffles, too! I’ve had a hard time finding any that are 100% wholegrain. Do either of those fit the bill? Seems like all of them are some sort of combination of wholegrain + white flour, even if they are organic, etc.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Lara, The Eggo’s are definitely not whole grain. The Vans are made with both brown and white flours, and as far as I can tell, the Nature’s Path are whole grain. Frozen waffles…mmm. :)

jenny (green food diaries) May 23, 2010 at 1:39 pm

god that looks DELICIOUS though i would probably get a major sugar high out of all that… mmm ice cream for breakkie! i remember my friend once telling me she had beer and ice cream for breakfast. HAHAA.

Julie @ Pickley Pear May 23, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Almond Dream, really?! I like! Sometimes pancakes just don’t sound good. I’m much more of a waffle fan instead of pancakes. I enjoy the Kashi brand!

Holly May 23, 2010 at 3:06 pm

holy moly. ice cream on waffles? YES PLEASE.

and i need the almond dream ice cream. and stat.

i don’t have to be pregnant to rationalize eating waffles and ice cream, right?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Holly, Nah – go for it!

homecookedem May 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Good to know about the Van’s waffles… I actually really like Eggo waffles too. I used to be obsessed with their low fat waffles. I ate 2 of them with some orange juice every morning one semester in college when I was student teaching.

runnerforever May 23, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I love that you will just come out and say that you like the Eggos best even thought they are thought of as less healthy. Now if I can always get ice cream on Vans, then we might have a different winner :-)

Jenna May 23, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Yep, your breakfast pretty much looks spectacular! Ice cream on waffles… for breakfast… that starts any day off on the right foot. :)

itsbliss May 23, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Eggo’s are hard to beat. I tried the Kashi ones a few years ago and wasn’t a huge fan. Then again, that was well before I really started enjoying healthy food so that might have something to do with it.

Danielle (Runs on Green) May 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Almond Dream makes ice cream?? I knew it was only a matter of time :D Now there’s hemp, rice, coconut, and almond ice cream…I’m waiting for oat!

Maybe you could make a savory Vans waffle sandwich? If you’re pretending its bread, maybe it will be more palatable!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Danielle, There is a soft serve oat ice-cream chain in Minneapolis – I’m dying to try it someday! http://www.americanoats.com/flavors.html

Jessica @ How Sweet May 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I bought the Van’s waffles a few weeks ago, too, and I wasn’t a fan either.

Lauren May 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I LOVE Kashi waffles (especially the blueberry) but I can not find them ANYWHERE anymore! I really hope they didn’t stop making them. But now I’m getting worried that it’s just not me that isn’t have luck finding them.

The Natures Path are really good though, so I’ll just have to stick with them. :)

Kayla May 23, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I, too, took a mini-trip to WF yesterday. I spent about 10 minutes staring at the coconut milk ice cream, trying to decide which flavor to try. Finally, I decided on the coconut chocolate almond flake, or something like that. Good. Gravy. It is SO GOOD. Half the pint is gone, somebody get this stuff away from me!!!

VeggieGirl May 23, 2010 at 4:42 pm

LEGGO MY EGGO!!!

Sorry, I’m insane right now :-D

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 23, 2010 at 4:43 pm

VG, What are you talking about *now*? I always thought you were a little insane. ;) Luv you.

Anna May 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Huh…I’m actually a big fan of Vans! But I haven’t had them in a few years…and I always just got the plain ones. In any case, Eggo always has my heart because they definitely remind me of my youth :-)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 23, 2010 at 4:59 pm

if you bake the Nature’s Path waffles in the oven they are amazing, like probably the best breakfast in the WORLD!!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I want to eat breakfast at our place if I can have waffles with ice cream! YUM! I made a waffle sandwich for my oldest last week since we were out of syrup. It was ham, egg and cheese. He was in heaven and thought I was a brilliant! I love it when that happens! I hope you are having a great weekend!

eatmovelove May 23, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Wow…that’s impressive. I ate wayyyyy too much ice cream last night to comment – to the point of sickness…but EGGO’s For The Win!! :)

Justine May 23, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I see you didn’t eat all the ice cream the day before :) . Good Heabs :)

<3 Justine

Sarah (cocoanutshakes) May 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

If you can find Kashi somewhere (I find them in the most random of stores), the strawberry ones are awesome, and SO good for waffle sandwiches. Love the yogurt + applesauce mixture!

lisasfoods May 23, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I haven’t had frozen waffles in so long. I love buying them in the winter, toasting them up, then topping them with banana, Greek yogurt, and maple syrup for breakfast. For some reason I don’t crave them in the warmer months as much, but I love how they’re so filling.

lindsay May 23, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I am loving Kinnikinnick’s new homestyle waffles. Chek them out here. http://blog.kinnikinnick.com/2009/09/kinnikinnick-waffle-madness.html

So good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 6:29 am

Lindsay, Apparently, these waffles are sold at 3 different stores in Nashville. I’ve never noticed them, but I’m on the lookout now. Thanks!

Jenny May 23, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I love that you added ice cream to your breakfast! Yummy:)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 23, 2010 at 7:36 pm

omg they have almond dream ice cream! this is really freaking me out because yesterday when i was getting tea, i was talking to my friend who works at the place and she is vegan and has a soy allergy. she was saying that she doesnt really like the coconut ice cream but its really the only thing she can have since she hates the grittiness of the rice ones. i told her “wouldnt it be fabulous if the almond milk companies came out with an almond milk ice cream” and she said “yea but it would prolly be too hard to form ice cream from almond milk”… omg so when i saw this post uve got me EXCITED! i need to look it up online asap.

btw. being gluten-free isnt fun when it comes to waffles since vans is so popular here but i agree.. has no flavor! im used to it tho now and dont mind it too much.. ive debated if i should buy a waffle iron and make my own.. i may just have to unless i get my store to carry a different brand.

thank you so much for posting the ice cream tho! xoxo <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 6:34 am

Kelsey, The almond milk ice-cream is so good. I’d seen the vanilla at Kroger, but found the Praline Crunch and Almond Dream ice-cream sandwiches at Whole Foods. Hope you find them. They also sell little Almond Dream Bites – chunks of the ice-cream covered in chocolate. I almost bought them, but I was afraid I’d pop every last one of them into my mouth in no time! :) P.S. I hear you can get a great waffle iron at Target for about $10. I’m going to buy one soon – you should too, and we can experiment together. :)

Kati May 23, 2010 at 7:49 pm

The Kashis are pretty great – the flavor I got was a bit reminiscent of Eggo’s in my opinion. I would actually check Jewel if you have one of those near you, or Dominick’s…since Kashi is owned by Kellogg’s you can find it in most places. Maybe even a Target. Anyway, now I want one.
-Kati

foodiefresh May 23, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Eggos are delicious because they are very buttery. My go-to is Kashi but Nature’s Path is pretty good too. You can’t really go wrong if you have all the right toppings (like icecream).

Rachael May 23, 2010 at 8:10 pm

There’s something extremely nostalgic about Eggos waffles – the taste, the smell, the leggo my Eggo commercials of the mid-1980′s and beyond – and since a good portion of food enjoyment comes from the feelings and memories a certain taste brings up (at least according to Proust) I say edible nostalgia rocks.

yogiclarebear May 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm

i always looked at those van’s waffles, but i really don’t like gluten-free bread so i figured i wouldn’t like gluten-free waffles…thanks for confirming! ;)

rebecca lustig May 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm

oh my goodness, i used to LOVE decorating waffles with the most ridiculous toppings. talk about a sundae (see? it CAN be waffle sunday!)

BroccoliHut May 23, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Hmmm sounds like I need to have an Eggo reunion!

Katie May 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I had high hopes for those gluten free waffles too. Ive yet to try a gluten free bread product that tastes good. Ice cream can usually salvage pretty much anything though!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 23, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I have recently been loving the carbs for breakfast. I love to load them with bananas, PB and cacao nibs. :)

Hayley May 24, 2010 at 12:21 am

Almond Dream. Must. try.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 24, 2010 at 1:06 am

I hope you have an awesome week, Heather!

And there’s a reason millions of ppl buy Eggo: Affordable and Good Tasting. It’s the simple things :)

annecalista May 24, 2010 at 6:34 am

I love Eggos too :-) That ice cream looks amazing. I haven’t seen it in stores around here yet.

A @ Please Don't Eat Me! May 24, 2010 at 7:06 am

the Flax Van’s gluten free waffles are the best kind of Van’s waffles – one trick I used with them, to get rid of that “cake” texture is to defrost them first and then toast them, im not sure how that works, but they get crispy all the way thru that way.
Eggos are my fav too- but I gotta get the Van’s .. dang food sensitivities!!! (sp?! it is Monday after all)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 7:15 am

Thanks A. I’ll try your method next time. :)

Michal May 24, 2010 at 9:19 am

Oh my you sure do know how to dress a waffle :) I have to try that almond dream ice cream… yum! :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 24, 2010 at 10:00 am

I love the Almond Dream stuff, yum! Hope you have better luck with the waffles next time. I can’t believe your WF doesn’t carry the Kashi ones!

Annie D. from Annie'sSimpleLife May 24, 2010 at 11:50 am

OMG- YUM YUM YUM. I haven’t had waffles in YEARS…. you may have just inspired me to get some!

Susan May 25, 2010 at 4:27 am

I just had Van’s mini waffles for breakfast!! I don’t mind them, although they are very sweet. I had similar thoughts on the apple cinnamon Vans. Even without reading the ingredients, you could tell that they were made without wheat flour. I haven’t had an Eggo in years! Maybe I need to pick some up for quality control in my waffle testing ;) Oh! Oh! And I highly suggest a wafflewich too with some of those waffles taking up space in your freezer :)

Mmm….I may have to go back for some minis…

{ 2 trackbacks }