Omelet Tutorial

by HEAB on May 24, 2010

Several of you have asked how I make my omelets, and so I took photos of every step this morning. Now, I have never been schooled in the proper way to prepare an omelet. However, this method is super simple, and it works every time.

First I whisk together 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites with a fork, and it’s much more fun if you do it in a fun bowl from Polly. :)

I then pour the egg mixture into a small greased skillet warmed over medium-high heat. Keep in mind, I have a gas stove, and the cooking times may be faster than an electric one.

After allowing the egg mixture to cook for about 90 seconds, I add the fillings to the center of the omelet. This morning, I used this AMAZING cheese. (Thanks to everyone who recommended it to me! And yes, I know pregnant women should not eat soft cheeses, but this was pasteurized and heated. So, all is good.)

Allow the eggs to set, and when they are no longer super runny and the cheese is starting to melt (about 1 minute), flip half of your omelet over with a thin metal spatula.

I then let the omelet cook for another minute or so and never bother flipping it.

5 minute breakfast: Goat milk brie omelet with my favorite frozen waffles cooked up crisp in the toaster oven and topped with apple butter. Perfect. :)

Couldn’t be more simple! Enjoy your Monday my friends. :)

P.S. Who watched LOST last night? I felt awful and fell asleep 10 minutes into it, but I’m looking forward to watching it tonight. Don’t tell me what happened. Anyone else sad it’s all over? :(

Jenn (GH) May 24, 2010 at 8:00 am

Yum. I’ll have to try that cheese!

You know I have never even seen one episode of Lost!! I know. I live under a rock.

Vivian May 24, 2010 at 8:06 am

Thanks for the tutorial! I have yet to make a decent omelette yet, they end up being scrambled eggs. lol

Beth May 24, 2010 at 8:07 am

mmm I loooooove omelets! that goat cheese brie looks incredible!

caronae May 24, 2010 at 8:07 am

Perfect breakfast :)

I watched LOST. Sort of strange ending. Sad. I couldn’t quite figure out what exactly the conclusion was supposed to be. Let me know if you do!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 24, 2010 at 8:07 am

I love brie in omelets – I’m sure the goat brie is delicious! I did find shredded goat cheese at my TJs yesterday. I was so excited!

Christie {Honoring Health} May 24, 2010 at 8:09 am

I need to get my hands on some of that goat’s milk brie. I don’t tolerate cow’s milk dairy and boy have I missed brie.

dmcgirl37 May 24, 2010 at 8:41 am

That brie looks perfect. I wish they had a trader joe’s near me..darn!!!! oh well.

Your omelet looks perfect. Mine never turn out that way :P maybe it’s my pan? lol .. i’ll blame it on the pan..

Dana xx

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) May 24, 2010 at 8:44 am

yummy looking omelette! makes me miss eggs and cheese, big time :(
hope you’re doing well!

Jenn May 24, 2010 at 8:44 am

Oh looks yummy… I watched LOST and cried my eyes out, It was sad but good. However I too am a bit confused over the ending as well..

Kristina @goodnweird May 24, 2010 at 8:50 am

Yum – brie in omlets = amazing! Lost was everything and more than we all could have hoped for. Have fun watching :)

thedelicateplace May 24, 2010 at 8:50 am

love apple butter! i never even heard of it until i went to central PA! is it sad that i never watched lost? haha i swear i don’t live under a rock!

Josie May 24, 2010 at 9:07 am

apple butter! the heart of my heart. (:

Ilana May 24, 2010 at 9:28 am

I cried for the whole four hour recap and finale. Yup. I am so sad.

Allison May 24, 2010 at 9:37 am

Yes, I watched it and am very sad. Sad that it’s over and sad that I’m so sad it’s over – I think I need to watch less TV and live a little more :) The ending was good, but left a million unanswered questions but I think that’s sort of the point.

babycakes May 24, 2010 at 9:41 am

I am seriously in mourning over the fact that Lost is over. I feel emotionally attached to that show in a serious way. Strange, I know, but true!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 10:06 am

Babycakes, I feel the same way.

Gena May 24, 2010 at 10:11 am

I believe they say that the mark of a true chef is how well he or she can make a “perfect” omelet. You’re a chef, HEAB!

Katherine: What About Summer? May 24, 2010 at 10:55 am

um… feel awful for falling asleep? or amazingly refreshed because your brain was nourished in sleep rather than agitated in confusion? I have a nourished nonlost brain today and am content with it!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 24, 2010 at 11:04 am

We don’t flip out omelets either, but we do cover them with a lid. It puffs them up and helps melt the cheese. I love reading other peoples take on simple food! I wish I could have some goat cheese…oh well, I will live through you on that one! I never watched Lost. We don’t watch a lot of regular tv, so we just never got into it. We may check it out some time later though. Enjoy your Monday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Sarena, Thanks for the “cover” tip. I will try that next time…when are you going to try the daiya??? :) P.S. Less TV is a good thing!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 24, 2010 at 11:15 am

Omelets are so good. I love that you can put just about anything in them and they turn out awesome. Also a great way to sneak in veggies for non veggie loving friends.

eatmovelove May 24, 2010 at 11:40 am

Great tutorial! Your food and photos always seem to come out so “big” and “life-like” ..;)…uh I know that makes no sense haha – but some blogs have pics of “scanty rabbit food”…not that there’s anything wrong with that if that’s what they want haha!! .

I never watched LOST – at all !! I know the shame…I am thinking it is time to visit Blockbuster for the series…

Also – why can’t pregnant women eat soft cheeses?!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Eatmovelove, Pregnant women are advised to not eat soft cheeses or anything unpasteurized due to possible listeria contamination. Same goes for cold deli meats.

itsbliss May 24, 2010 at 11:54 am

This reminds me of my dad and brother, they just learned how to make omelets so now they cook them all the time. It’s the only thing they do themselves in the kitchen, but that’s ok- they love ‘em! :)

mrssturgis May 24, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Yes! That cheese is SO good! Wow, I never tried it in a omelette, but how delicious that looks. I bet it would be good with some fresh herbs too.

Shelly May 24, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I’m glad you found the goat brie!! And clearly, pregnancy is a good excuse for baked (as opposed to unheated) brie! So good! (I generally don’t bother with puff pastry unless I’m trying to be extra fancy, and instead just top brie with a little maple syrup, then walnuts and rosemary- or marmalade and nuts, etc… then heat it until it is melty and wonderful.)

Jenna May 24, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Oh man, your omelet looks amazing! Let’s just say that I am not known to make a good omelet, but I’d love to improve on my skills.

I didn’t watch the Lost finale, but I’m going to tonight. I’m so sad to hear that people weren’t happy with how it ended!

Jenny May 24, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Thanks for the lesson in omelet making!

Annie D. from Annie'sSimpleLife May 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm

mmmm….goat cheese omelet. I always have issues with omelets- they end up turning into scrambled eggs because I never know when to flip them! THANKS!!!!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 24, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Ugh, yeah I fell asleep 10 minutes into Lost too, but then woke back up and tried to fight it for another hour before I gave up and figured I’d watch it online today. It was painful! I look forward to trying again when I’m not in a pizza coma. :) Hope you’re feeling better by now!

christina May 24, 2010 at 12:46 pm

goat cheese is the BEST cheese for omelets!!

The Coconut Mama May 24, 2010 at 1:40 pm

a) I loved lost and i’m not sure what I thought about the ending. Please let me know what you think.

b) I never listened to what people said I should or shouldn’t consume during pregnancy. I drank raw milk and Kombucha during my pregnancy and everything turned out just fine =). Do what you want!

CM

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Thanks coconut mama. Probably some of the best advice I’ve heard thus far. :)

Susannah May 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Oh my gosh, I had no idea TJ’s had Goat Cheese Brie. I am going to run, not walk, to TJ’s and get some! I love eggs and I’m always looking for new ideas. I will try your techniques above, as I usually stick to scrambled eggs or baking a crustless quiche. Thanks for the tips! Hope you feel better!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans May 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Wow. So simple, yet so appealing. Makes me wish I had a bree omlette this morning.

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 24, 2010 at 2:35 pm

That omelet looks sooo good! I don’t think I’ve ever had goat cheese in an omelet, now I”m curious! :)

Jenn

fitandfortysomething May 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm

that cheese looks amazing! thanks for showing us how to make the omelet!

Samantha May 24, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Must try this tactic this morning, my omelets are never pretty and rarely tasty. Watched the first epi of Lost years ago, never again, but I’m not a big tv fan.

Melissa Cari May 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I think I could do exactly what you do with eggs and yours would still look better. I always have food envy! haha

And about Lost…I fell asleep last night, too…but finished it today. I’m just so sad. What show is going to replace this for me? Everyone directs me to 24…but I’ve watched a few seasons of 24 and yea, the suspense is there…but the characters?? Not so much. When will there ever be another Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Ben/Locke. Oy, I’m tearing up now! I know this is a food blog but you’ll have to let us know what you think once its over! I love hearing everyone’s opinions :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I feel the same way Melissa. I fell in love with that cast, and no, I don’t think there we’ll ever be another like it. :(

fartygirl May 24, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I like that you let your omelets get a little brown. That’s how I like ‘em too, when I eat ‘em. Paranoid of salmonella does it to me.

LOVED the Lost finale. Please share your thoughts with us!

Katie May 24, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Love the omelet tutorial and that cheese looks yum!!

I am SO SAD Lost is over, I will be LOST without it, lol!!!! U will love the finale! xo

Mary (A Merry Life) May 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm

That omelet looks delicious. I’ll have to try goat cheese soon. I’m hoping to get some when I finally get to go to a trader joe’s. :)

I’m sad LOST is over, but I’m glad that it ended well. Enjoy watching it! :)

Kelly May 24, 2010 at 3:35 pm

YUM! That omelet looks just about perfect! I love goat cheese too! It is much easier on my tummy!! :)

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 24, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I’m sorry you felt bad and didn’t get to finish Lost! I am definitely sad it’s over! I’m still thinking about the ending though and what it means and coming up with theories! :)

Lola May 24, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I love mushrooms in my omelette, and jalapeños!!!
I never really watched Lost, is it good?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Lola, LOST is crazy. CD and I rented season 1 right before season 3 came on TV. We quickly became addicted and got all caught up. Seasons 2 and 3 were a bit odd, but I’m glad I stuck with it. In my opinion, a very well written and clever show. Always kept me guessing, and I loved the entire cast.

Anna May 24, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Oh my gosh…your omelet looks so good. I am so bad about making omelets that are at all presentable. Mine always look like a 2 year-old made them :-)

Katie May 24, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Yay! I’m so happy you did this!! I can NEVER make successful omelets, and it looks like I was just trying to make them too complicated. Your method looks 10x easier than what I was doing. Also, I didn’t watch LOST last night either, but can’t wait to catch up tonight…I’m going to be sad that it’s over. :-(

Sarah (cocoanutshakes) May 24, 2010 at 5:57 pm

That breakfast looks heavenly. I totally forgot about apple butter! Must go so well with the brie in the omelet.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 24, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Sarah, Yes, it did! :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 24, 2010 at 5:57 pm

seriously happy; bookmarked this. done. i need so much help when it comes to omelets.. ive never made one yet that didnt break!!! thank you <3

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover May 24, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Goat Milk Brie?!
Count me in! Hahahahaha.
Thanks for sharing, Heather!
Wish you a wonderful week :)
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

Natalie May 24, 2010 at 7:15 pm

the brie + the apple butter sounds like such a good combo! I fell asleep also and caught up today. I’m so depressed it’s over!

Sarah R May 24, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I just made my husband an omelet for dinner–they’re so quick and delicious! I also made your HEAB-fied hollandaise sauce and it was so good! I never got into Lost, but my husband and I were talking about starting from the beginning this summer when there is nothing on TV.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 4:50 am

Sarah, CD and I did the same thing over Christmas break one year. Started watching Season 1 and then immediately watched Season 2 and got all caught up before Season 3 started. Seasons 2 and 3 were a bit odd, but so glad I stuck with it. Such a clever and well written show with a wonderful cast.

So glad you liked the Hollandaise sauce. :)

idreamoftahini May 24, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I’m very sad Lost is over, I’ve never been so into a show before.

Apple butter, yummy!!! It’s my favorite jam.

Pure2Raw Twins May 24, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Oh my, goat cheese looks delicious! Oh yes we are very sad about Lost being over. We watched it last night and again tonight on the computer. Pathetic I know ;) HAHA. we just love the show so much!!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 4:52 am

Pure2Raw, Not pathetic…just dedicated. ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 24, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Lost. I never once watched it. No loss for me. haha. i am so funny. right. NOT! :)

Ok the step by step on a very time-sensitive recipe…I did that once with vegan bananas foster as i was setting my spatula down with boiling brown sugar and banana liquor and also got the shot when i lit the rum on fire. What I do for my readers :) But in the process, I have almost ruined food to “get the shot”. Usually it’s just a vitamix canister so not a biggie. I can feel the “photo pressure” from here as I see that omelet. Which by the way, is PERFECT!!!!

xo

Hayley May 24, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I haven’t had cheese in an omelet in much too long. I always get too lazy to wait for it to melt all the way, but it makes it so much better!

Justine May 24, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Goat milk AND brie all in one? That is too wonderful for my little taste buds to even fathom!

Liz May 24, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Thanks for the omelet step by step! Can you say …. Sunday Morning breakfast? I’ve always just made a scrambled mess which, albeit, tastes great but doesn’t have the true omelet feel. I need to grab some Laughing Cow though because goat cheese + me = no way, Jose!

BroccoliHut May 24, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Great tutorial–and perfect timing for me, as I just re-introduced eggs into my diet:)

Susan May 25, 2010 at 4:30 am

I haven’t watched Lost yet either!!! Tonight though. It’s hard to find 2.5 hours in the day to dedicate to it. Although everyone I’ve talked to so far says they’re satisfied with the ending…

kate May 25, 2010 at 7:25 am

Looks delicious…I’ve never had goat milk brie, but will definitely seek it out now! Missed the Lost finale (sick) and watched it last night. Mixed feelings about the end…will miss watching it!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 25, 2010 at 8:18 am

That’s a perfect looking omelette!

Dgrub June 10, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Definitely brie cheese is way to go, but I never tried with goat brie cheese. My brie omelet had mushroom as well and here’s the link for it at http://desigrub.com/2010/06/union-of-aged-brie-and-old-mushroom-in-an-omelet/

{ 1 trackback }