Today's List

by HEAB on May 25, 2010

I have several things spinning around in my head right now, and the type-A girl in me would like to rattle them off to you in list form. Sound good?

1) 3:30 AM seems to be the magical number for me. I wake up every single morning at that time to use the bathroom. Sometimes I fall back asleep, sometimes not. This morning? Not so much…it’s going to be a long day.

2) Turns out our DVR did not record LOST. Ahhhhh! But that’s okay as I can watch it online which I hope to do sometime later today.

3) Yesterday, I met my friend Cherie for lunch at Mediterranean Cuisine, where I consumed way too much lamb and hummus.

So proud of you Cherie for completing your Olympic distance triathlon Sunday!!! :)
Why is lamb so good? Same goes for hummus…why? why? why?

4) After lunch, I stopped by Greenlight, a new market/deli in Nashville specializing in local food, for some fresh picked strawberries. I couldn’t help but eat a few on the way home. So good, but have you ever seen such a bizarre shaped berry?

Crazy, no?

5) I still can’t eat much for dinner and last night kept things simple with a bowl of apple pie a la mode, HEAB style.

Goat milk yogurt, Trader Joe’s chunky spiced apples (Oh my gosh, have you tried this stuff? Delicious!), and a handful of cinnamon Puffins.

6) I’m no longer losing weight which is a good thing, but honestly, the weight gain involved with pregnancy still frightens me a bit. I know the weight will come – I just don’t want to gain too much too fast, and I think I need to throw out my scale.

7) I’ve decided I like the Van’s gluten free apple cinnamon waffles. Following Amy @ Please Don’t Eat Me’s advice I thawed 2 of the waffles overnight in the fridge, and then cooked them in a 350° oven until warm and crispy (about 4 minutes?). Amy, you were right, there was no more weird cake-like texture, and I really enjoyed my Van’s topped with a little maple syrup and eaten alongside a goat milk brie omelet.

My favorite breakfast these days. :)

Question: What’s on your list for today?

Beth May 25, 2010 at 6:37 am

That strawberry looks sooooo cool! ha. never seen a berry like that. My list includes waking up (check) getting ready for work (check) eating breakfast (check) go to work, go for a run tonight, make dinner. Very easy day. :) Have a good one!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 25, 2010 at 6:38 am

I love lamb. Maybe it’s the Lebanese in me :D

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 25, 2010 at 6:38 am

Oh my, that lamb + hummus looks delicious. Thanks for the Van’s GF waffle tip! If I ever have them I’ll remember to do that.

I don’t know what’s up today yet, probably calling a vet for a second opinion. :(

Jenn

VeggieGirl May 25, 2010 at 6:39 am

VERY odd strawberry, indeed – kinda funky :-D

Good luck with your to-do’s! Mine involve doctor’s appointments, errands, and walking Chooey.

Jessica @ How Sweet May 25, 2010 at 6:40 am

What a crazy shaped strawberry! Maybe I should try toasting the Van’s waffles that way. Sounds better!

Jenny May 25, 2010 at 6:43 am

I’m sorry you didn’t fall asleep! I hope you get a better night of rest tonight!

Evan Thomas May 25, 2010 at 6:45 am

That berry is ridiculous.
My list has been so lazy these past few days. I guess that’s the glory of vacation

dmcgirl37 May 25, 2010 at 6:48 am

Im not sure I ever had lamb. Maybe i’ll try it one of these days ;) Love some good hummus though. AH, I cant believe you’ve been up since 3:30..i would die of exhaustion…O.K maybe im being a little to dramatic..

Plans for today? spend the day with the BF. go to the gym. Dietitian later. lol fun….

Dana

Marina May 25, 2010 at 6:54 am

What a cute looking strawberry!
I already did a half of my day, but so much work still awaits me…
heavy studying, then 30km bike ride, then more studying…

Abbey May 25, 2010 at 6:54 am

Oh Heabie, I know how it feels to be freaked out about gaining. I had to put on some weight and let me tell you…Hardest. Thing. Ever.
I got through by convincing myself every day that it was what my body needed. Just think about growing that amazing little bun in the oven and hopefully that will help quell the fear. You are beautiful girl!

Off to a Social Psych class, walk the dog, then reading 80 pages for said class.

Have a great day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 9:51 am

Thanks Abbey. :)

rachael May 25, 2010 at 6:56 am

I can’t wait for fresh strawberries! We’re still another month away where I live:(

As for the pregnancy weight gain, you are very in-tune with your body and how much to eat. You’ll gain the perfect amount of weight. Throwing out the scale is very freeing. I threw out our scale when we moved 4 years ago and I’ve never looked back.

Christie {Honoring Health} May 25, 2010 at 6:56 am

I have been going back and forth between millet toast with strawberry agave jam (recipe on my blog) along with a couple scrambled eggs or an oatmeal concoction. I just go with what works :D

I think I need to give lamb another try. Must find some recipes.

Natalie May 25, 2010 at 7:05 am

I love your list. You look adorable. The weight gain freaked me out too, and honestly, everything was fine in the end. I kept on an extra 3-5 lbs and then got pregnant again unplanned. With #1 though, I was on the scale keeping track and worrying about it. This time I’m not getting on the scale at all and trying not to worry about it. Our bodies are going to do what they need to for the baby. And you are active and eat well, so you aren’t going to fall in the extra gain category!

Erica May 25, 2010 at 7:08 am

I’m SO glad to hear you’re not losing weight any more. I think the pregnancy weight gain is a little intimidating, but it will mostly take care of itself- especially for someone who enjoys yoga and walking like you ;) That new deli/market sounds awesome. I just showed it to Josh’s Dad (they’re here visiting for Josh’s surgery). They also want to know where that burger place is near that you just went to (his mom can’t find it on google). <3 ya heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 10:08 am

Erica, Burger Up and GreenLight Market are right next to each other in a new development on the corner of 12th Avenue South and Paris Avenue. From Brentwood, just head north on Granny White Pike. Granny White turns into 12th. After you cross over Woodmont Blvd, the new development will be about a mile further up on your right. Tell Josh’s parents to make sure to stop in Las Paletas as well (right next to Burger Up) for a yummy Mexican popsicle. Hope everything goes okay with Josh’s surgery!!!

Meg May 25, 2010 at 7:10 am

Glad to hear things are great, Heather! Minus the super-early wake up calls :( hopefully that too will pass :) That lamb looks delicious, and that strawberry looks…uhm, delicious too! In an odd way.

Hope you continue enjoying your Van’s :D

Happy Tuesday!

kalli@fitandfortysomething May 25, 2010 at 7:14 am

good lamb tastes amazing though i have had some not so good too. i am with you on the hummus-it makes everything good! must work-that is on my todo list :(

kristina @goodnweird May 25, 2010 at 7:16 am

That strawberry is amazing! My philosophy on fruits and veggies is to look for the ones that aren’t uniformly shaped. The more unique the shape – the more likely it was grown in a local farm without chemicals.

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 25, 2010 at 7:21 am

That berry is too cool!

By the way, I love your hair! Wish mine would do that when it’s long!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 10:04 am

Thanks Stacie, yesterday was a good hair day. :)

Sarah May 25, 2010 at 7:29 am

Mmm….I’m thrilled about berry season:-).
On my list for today:
-I surprised myself by taking 3 hot yoga classes 3 days in a row and enjoying them. Still, a rest day is in order!
-I’m excited about a date with my mom tonight. She recently led a women’s retreat, and I’m so proud of her (in general.)
-I wish I would have gone on that retreat to see her shine.
-I have babies on the brain.
-I am practicing gratitude these days. I am learning that gratitude is the secret to contentment (for me).
-I enjoy reading your posts! My sister-in-law recently texted me during a road trip to tell me she had eaten at the Wild Cow and knew I would love it. One of my first thoughts? Heather lives around there!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 10:03 am

Sarah, Yes, you would love the Wild Cow. If you’re ever in town I will take you there, and we’ll express much gratitude over the delicious food. ;)

Have fun with your mama tonight and drink lots of water today!

jenny (green food diaries) May 25, 2010 at 7:29 am

i almost bought cinnamon puffins yesterday… that looks so good!

Margie May 25, 2010 at 7:31 am

When you’re freaking out about the weight gain (which I did too), just concentrate on how much fun it’s going to be to see the scale go down, down, down right after the baby is born. It’s INCREDIBLE how fast the first 20-25 pounds just melts away the first few weeks after the baby arrives. What you’re left with is an extra 5-10 pounds and a beautiful, perfect 8 pound miracle. You’ll take mommy-and-me yoga classes and use your little one as a dumbbell – one that increases in weight as you get stronger. You’ll get a jogging stroller and give the baby a daily tour of Nashville. You know what else you’re going to LOVE about being a mommy? Making baby food!!! Buy a copy of Super Baby Food – you’ll use it for YEARS. And hey, you already wake up before the sun, so that part of being a mom won’t phase you :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 10:00 am

*Super Baby Food* – roger that. Thanks Margie!

Heather McCoy May 25, 2010 at 7:32 am

I don’t think ANYONE should own a scale but especially a pregnant person! Leave all the weighing to the doctors.

Lindsay May 25, 2010 at 7:38 am

Staying in bed all day due to a mystery illness that has plagued for the last day and a half. :(
I can’t wait to return to my regularly-scheduled activities. Thankfully, I have blogs like yours to keep me company!

christina May 25, 2010 at 7:52 am

that berry is crazy!! i love it

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) May 25, 2010 at 7:52 am

You look SOOOOOO pretty, HEAB! Btw-I think “Heather” is the most popular name in the foodie blogosphere….ever notice that?
I agree with Margie-the weight comes off SO fast when you’re already fit! So much off it is water, excess blood, and boobage!
I think hubby wants to get me preggers again just for the latter ;)
Anyway,
my list: housecleaning, exercise, library, daughter to Tball, and blog.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 9:58 am

Heather, yes, I’ve noticed! Hehe, what is up with all us healthy-living “Heathers”? :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 25, 2010 at 7:58 am

so glad u found away to make Vans more friendly hehe.
i dont have a Target though- i know i live in sadness without target, whole foods, or trader joes!!!! :( :(:( but im gonna go to walmart to look for a waffle iron.. maybe theyve got some good deals..
and sorry to hear about the Lost recording.. get it? lol Lost recording… yea i stick to online episode watching now, i always try to record on tv but mess something up.. or the universe conspires against me.. lol

have a beautiful week! <3

Kelly May 25, 2010 at 8:00 am

I am glad you are no longer losing weight and starting to gain a little…you will be fine!! You have a healthy attitude and you know how to eat right! Just think that the baby weight you do gain only serves to make YOU and your baby healthier! :) I know it is scary but you will be okay and maybe throwing out the scale is a good idea….

Jenn (GH) May 25, 2010 at 8:11 am

That lamb looks really tasty.

Try not to worry about gaining weight although it’s totally NORMAL to do so. :-) You have really good habits so more than likely you will only gain what your body needs to gain.

My day is full taking care of my family homeschooling, errands, cooking…ect.

Megan May 25, 2010 at 8:11 am

My list? It includes finding the energy to get up and go to work and getting motivated to get a little exercise in. I’m not starting out very well.

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy May 25, 2010 at 8:18 am

The strawberry looks like a flower!!! :D

Kilee Johnson May 25, 2010 at 8:20 am

I love the cute top that you wore out to breakfast with your friend! I also love those Van’s GF waffles and agree that that method works wonders. Please don’t be scared about your body during pregnancy. The body is an amazing, beautiful work of art and yours is going to treat you well throughout and after the pregnancy. Have a great day today!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 9:56 am

Thanks so much Kilee, and the top is from Urban Outfitters…and like 4 years old. I love it too. :)

janetha May 25, 2010 at 8:27 am

I love lists! Especially ones that involve Hummus, waffles, odd shaped berries and photos of you. :) great idea to thaw the vans before heating. So simple yet so smart! Love you!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

Love you too J. Bean!

The Coconut Mama May 25, 2010 at 8:35 am

I lost 60 pounds before I got preggers with DD. I was really freaked out about gaining a lot of weight during my pregnancy. I tried to keep my mind on building a healthy baby, and not so much on the weight gain. That helped me a lot. I ended up only gaining 25 pounds, which came right off after DD was born.

This is a cool e-book I read. You may like it – http://www.pregnancywithoutpounds.com/

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and the link to the e-book Coconut Mama. I will check it out.

Claire May 25, 2010 at 8:37 am

haha…I love getting berries like that!!:-)cc

Danielle May 25, 2010 at 8:39 am

So much delicious food! I hope you do throw out your scale and enjoy your hopefully increasing appetite :) your body is doing beautiful and amazing things… and it needs all the yummy fuel it can get. Hope you have a fantastic day, Heather! I am such a list person but I am free of most responsibilities until next week. I’ll keep you posted ;) .

Annie D. from Annie'sSimpleLife May 25, 2010 at 8:45 am

That strawberry is so funny looking!!!

I have tons on my to-do list today… lots of housecleaning, laundry, running an errand or two… it never ends. More time needed in the day, please!

Lara (Thinspired) May 25, 2010 at 8:51 am

My fellow list girl, I heart you.

1. There actually is one meat I don’t like and it’s lamb. I guess we’re not foodie soulmates :(

2. That strawberry is heart-shaped!

3. I am going to try your version of apple pie. Remember my old-school one? Man, I haven’t had that since I moved back to the US. You just reminded me!

4. I have the day off today, so I am getting all sorts of stuff done before my weekend in Texas for Memorial Day! Yay!

Enjoy LOST. I was LOST, but maybe that’s because I didn’t watch the whole series ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 10:27 am

Lara, We are soulmates in many other ways, and yes, I totally remember your old-school apple pie – with Kashi cereal right? I remember thinking that always sounded so good. I must have been channeling you last night. :)

Sarah R May 25, 2010 at 8:54 am

Oh my! What a funny looking strawberry. I once had a red grape that looked like an heirloom tomato. It was rather interesting. And yes–throw out the scale! I think you’ll be much happier if you do!

Allison May 25, 2010 at 9:01 am

Throw the scale away :) You’ll get plenty of weigh-ins with your doctor/midwife. At the beginning of each pregnancy, I always tell my midwife that I do not want to know how much I weigh. If there is a problem with my weight, either not enough or too much, they can tell me and I will act accordingly . . . otherwise I’d rather not know and just listen to my body cues!

itsbliss May 25, 2010 at 9:09 am

Just look at the weight gain as the baby growing to be strong and healthy! Plus, a growing baby means you get to enjoy even more of your delicious food- that’s something to look forward too. :D

Hayley May 25, 2010 at 9:33 am

You’re so in tune with your body that any pregnancy weight will come off, no problem. I know you know that, but I thought I’d tell you, too. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 9:52 am

Hayley, ALWAYS a good thing to hear. Thanks. :)

Heather May 25, 2010 at 9:41 am

that berry is CRAZY! it’s so pretty though, i can imagine that it was perfectly ripe and delicious :)

Krystina May 25, 2010 at 9:45 am

I bought strawberries at Whole Foods that were HUGE. One of them was the size of 2-3 normal berries. I’m convinced hummus makes everything better.

Emily May 25, 2010 at 9:53 am

Happy to hear/read that you are doing much better and starting to eat more HEAB-style dishes again (even if they are a bit different from what you are used to). Although I’m still in my early 20′s I can definitely sympathize with your fears of baby weight gain, it’s something I’ve thought of because I love children so much and definitely want to be a mom some day. I think as the sickness fades away you can begin to appreciate the beauty of your changing body and the wonderful gift of becoming a mom…although there are many times that do not feel AT ALL like a gift, this too shall pass :)

In terms of myyy to-do list today includes getting some sun outside (a lovelty 87 degrees in the Boston area), getting a pedicure with my the mom, and watching the finale of Biggest Loser (sad obsession of mine)

Enjoy the day :)

Heather May 25, 2010 at 10:14 am

Stay happy, stay active, keep what you eat “close to the paddock” as nature intended. Do right by the bambino inside and nature will do right by you. I was back in the skinny jeans within a month of delivery and wore them until end of term with zipper undone. No weighing, no workouts, no dieting, just lots of walking the dog and organic whole foods prepared from scratch.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 10:17 am

Heather – thanks, so encouraging. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 25, 2010 at 10:20 am

Crazy looking strawberries! Hmmm breakfast is my favorite meal for sure. This morning a enjoyed a ‘cheesy’ hummus omelet and sweet potato. Super combo ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 10:21 am

Heather, I will be over for breakfast tomorrow morning. I’ll bring the goat cheese. :)

Mama Pea May 25, 2010 at 10:41 am

I think I would have had a coronary had my DVR not recorded LOST. I think that strawberry is straight off the island! I hope you love it (LOST not the strawberry)!

A @ Please Don't Eat Me! May 25, 2010 at 10:49 am

YAY!!!! good it worked! that is awesome! glad you like them now ; )

weight gain does slow down later on, but i think i gained 15 pounds in the first trimester (remember i told you all i ate was Chinese?? lol right there!) but i only gained a total of 29 pounds.. every time i stepped on the scale at the docs i closed my eyes and my ears. it is nerve wracking, especially when you are used to losing, to be gaining. fortunately, the end result is a wonderful thing… : )
i think you look GREAT!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 11:03 am

Amy, hehe – yes the Chinese,I remember. :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

thewhatkateateblog May 25, 2010 at 11:15 am

Did you check Ebay before you ate that funny shaped Strawberry? I bet you could get a pretty penny for one of them!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 11:34 am

Kate, I should have thought of that. Do you ever watch that Jay Leno skit where they show what did and did not sell on ebay? I wonder if my strawberry would have made it on his show? :)

malpaz May 25, 2010 at 11:18 am

you are going to be the worlds best mom and you child will ADORE your cooking because your food looks so tasty! i have never had lamb because it is SO expensive and i read it has a gamey taste. i dunno, ill stick to the cheaper cuts for now, maybe save it for a splurge!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 11:33 am

Malpaz, I’ve only used lamb once – and it was ground for meatballs. Best meatballs I ever made. However, I never really eat it when I’m out unless it’s in the form of gyro meat. Super cheap and super good. Not gamey at all! It’s fairly high in fat and so tender. I LOVE IT.

Jenna May 25, 2010 at 11:58 am

I haven’t heard of TJ’s chunky spiced apples before, but holy moley, they sound good! Are they canned?

I am all for throwing out the scale! What is important is staying healthy so that you can have a healthy, beautiful baby. Just let your body naturally take its course. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Jenna, They come in a jar – like applesauce. Lately, I always find them on an endcap.

hagarandishmael May 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Heather…seriously do not worry about the weight gain in pregnancy. Just eat like you normally do.
Plus…seriously the breastfeeding works BEAUTIFULLY for getting back to pre-pregnancy weight. It is amazing how wonderfully our bodies are designed to do this whole mommy thing.
Have you gotten Ina May Gaskins book?
Im driving through your town next month to go to a family reunion..I could drop it by :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Hagarandishmael, Thanks for the encouragement, and yes, I have Ina May’s book. Haven’t read it yet though. Will start it soon. Hope you enjoy your upcoming road trip and family reunion!

eatmovelove May 25, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Weight gain is part of the deal – don’t stress about it…hey Joan Lunden and Kate Hudson gained over 60 lbs…and they look great ;) .
My list ? Like Evan way too lazy…to see a movie, order out, choose a job and cry over the fact I won’t get a summer vacation…meh, that’s life. I guess it was meant to happen.

Gena May 25, 2010 at 12:24 pm

My dear, please throw out the scale. Pregnancy is time to only heed your body’s imperatives — not to think about shape, size, or weight. I think not having a number at the ready may help you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Gena, Will do – you’re so right.

Kellie May 25, 2010 at 12:27 pm

From being pregnant three times, I can tell you this. Your body is going to gain what it needs. I gained a significant amount with all my pregnancies and it does come off. I would throw away the scale. This is a time to listen to your body, eat what it wants and enjoy the experience.

kgavlin May 25, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Pregnant women only really need about 400 extra calories a day in their second trimester and 500 extra calories in their third trimester. So really it’s only an extra meal a day or just add more in to your regular meals. You look positively radiant though and as stated above, this is a time when listening to your body is even more important. You can always talk to a R.D. about weight gain in pregnancy since I’m only a nutrition student still.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Thanks for the info. K.

Kelli May 25, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Heather,
Here’s a tip for you with the baby weight. When you weigh in at your doctor’s appointment, stand on the scale backwards so that you don’t see the number. Tell your doctor to not tell you your weight, but the doc will let you know if you are gaining too much or too little if they need to. That way you don’t obsess about a number. It seems to me that people who go into pregnacy in good shape bounce back well, whether they gain a lot or a little during pregnancy.
I should not have read your post before lunch. I don’t have lamb or hummus in my fridge, and that’s what I want!

Katie May 25, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I totally hear you on the whole fear of weight gain. It’s so completely appropriate and necessary and all in pregnancy, but it’s still scary!! I think there are lots of good ways to deal with it (including throwing out your scale! or even asking the Dr’s office not to tell you your weight at each appt unless there’s a problem…).

I dealt with it by allowing myself to indulge my need to be in control somewhat, figuring out at the beginning of pregnancy what a healthy weight gain would look like overall, and then writing down what that would mean each month (so at 4 months’ preg, I’d weigh x; at 5 mos’ preg, I’d way xx, etc.), and then weighing myself every week at home to keep track. I admit this is probably not the “ideal” healthiest way to do this, but for me it actually helped me accept the weight gain more each month when I could see how it compared in the bigger picture to gaining 20-30 lb (the healthy amount for my starting weight). Otherwise I think I would have just thought, “I’m gaining too much weight!!” instead of realizing that I was gaining just the right amount of weight. Of course the catch here is that the weight gain usually isn’t evenly spaced out throughout the pregnancy, so I still had the anxiety of sometimes gaining more in a month than I expected, but honestly it ended up evening out. It can also be a problem if you end up gaining a bit more than you “wanted” to (I hear that some women’s bodies just do that); then you could be discouraged even if it ends up being not that big a deal in the long run (ie. you lose it easily after the baby comes, etc).

Anyway, I’m sure you’ll find what works for you. And don’t worry – no matter what happens with your body, just keep thinking about that precious little life inside of you and focusing on his/her health! Whenever I could think about her (esp. after I could feel her kick!) it took away my anxieties about my body and other things, because it reset my perspective.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Katie, thank you, and I can’t wait to feel the kicking!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 25, 2010 at 1:09 pm

That stuff is so good cause they put a little bit of crack in it! Well, maybe not but it seems that way! My list is laundry and pay bills. Neither one of which is on the top! So, I am blogging instead. Sounds like more fun to me!

You know how I feel about gaining weight. I have to be in control of that! I knew with both of my pregnancies where I wanted to go with it. I did not restrict myself, but I knew what I needed in order to help me gain weight appropriately. I have always made sure that I eat balanced. I eat a lot of carbs, but if that is what I am craving…I sneak the protein in there too! You are so good about reading your body and the signals it gives you. You know what to do. Besides, you know you aren’t going to sit down and eat the entire container of coconut ice cream (well you may, but you will eat well after that), so just go with what your body wants. Trust me, you think way too much like me to let it go completely.

My husband and I talked about goats milk the other day. He is having problems with dairy since the celiac was diagnosed. I am considering getting him some…I even wondered if I could do it. I know there is still lactose in it though, so I am worried for me since even the dairy proteins bother me some.

By the way…you look GREAT!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Thanks Sarena, we are definitely a lot alike! So comforting. :)

Let me know if you guys try the goat milk products – don’t know what I’d do without them in my life!

Lola May 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Throw the damn scale and enjoy your pregnancy :) you will look lovely and gorgeous even if you gain a fw pounds :) and you’ll have a lovely little bambino !

Dawn (healthySDLiving) May 25, 2010 at 1:46 pm

What a fun strawberry!
I agree, LOVE lamb! SO delicious!

caronae May 25, 2010 at 2:32 pm

On my list: Number one priority=fix the internet so I can blog!!!!!!!

Have a good day :)

Johanna B May 25, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Yay for the tip on Van’s GF waffles. I can only eat the GF ones and Van’s is the brand I buy most often. They are kinda funky if you toast them. I like to smother them with vanilla yogurt and smashed strawberries. That’s my favorite breakfast.

Katherine: What About Summer? May 25, 2010 at 2:49 pm

she must be brilliant; I would have never suggested the thawing
congrats to the Olympic triathlete! that is so hardcore
early bird gets the worm- you’re just ambitious

my list: find cell phone; turn from vibrate to loud
look at other people’s lists and find ways to be productive…

Kendall May 25, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Kendall, Yes, definitely in line with my taste buds these days – thanks! :)

Kendall May 25, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I have a delicious suggestion for you- something that seems rather in line with the stuff you’ve been eating lately. I love to put on toast (would also be great on waffles) either regular soft goat cheese or the goat brie and then smear apple butter, good jam, or fig spread on top. It is the most delicious thing, tastes fancy but is so simple to make. Glad you found the goat brie! Next up, see if you can find goat butter! I’ve only found it once, and it was very $$, but great! A little sweeter than cow butter and it’s naturally white in color, vs. yellow.

Mae May 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I wish you didn’t have the 3:30 AM curse anymore… I had that for a month or so last year- it was much smaller scale but still annoying.
Hahaha that strawberry is cracking me up! I <3 you Heather

Samantha May 25, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Oh what a darling berry! And your apple pie ala mode looks wonderful. It looks like fruit sugars are agreeing with you a bit more now that you’re pregnant?

The weight gain can be a stressor, just remind yourself it’s normal and healthy. You still look wonderful!

My list today is slim…hiking in the morning, a few errands around lunchtime, housework and wee swim lessons afterward…and hopefully EARLY to bed after too many nights of rough sleep.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Samantha, Um yeah, I think all my fruit is one major factor in the no more weight loss, but I’m just rolling with it. However, I’m wondering if 3 cantaloupes in 48 hours was a bad idea. Hehe. ;) Hope you get some rest!

homecookedem May 25, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Um, so I was up at 3:00 this morning. Laid in bed until 5:00! Finally got up and checked emails. Fell asleep for what seemed like 10 minutes on the couch and then my alarm went off. Grrrr. Haha! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Homecookedem, I feel your pain – such a long today for both of us. Hope you get some good rest tonight!

Melissa S. May 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm

get rid of the scale!!! embrace what pregnancy will give you!!!

i wake up at a random time every morning to pee too..4.33. random no?

Ilana May 25, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Throw out the scale!

justine May 25, 2010 at 7:13 pm

HEABS!!!! I want to eat there!!!! Dont get burnt out cause we are eating there next time come to town! K? :)

~Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 25, 2010 at 7:54 pm

K. So good Justine – it’s in Brentwood, and I like it better than Cafe Rakka. Will never get burnt out on it!

runnerforever May 25, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I saw the spiced apples and was tempted, but thought it looked just like apple sauce, sounds like I was wrong. And with my beloved Puffins, ooooh yum!

idreamoftahini May 25, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Wow Heather, I can’t imagine getting up at 3:30am!! I’m a list maker too. It helps me feel organized.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 25, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Everyone has something to say about weight gain and pregnancy but I bet if you ask every woman deep down was she ever a bit worried or flinch just a little about gaining weight in pregnancy, most if being truly honest would have to say yes, to some degree. And if they didn’t care one iota, that’s awesome. But I think this is totally common and normal and you’re not the 1st preg lady who’s wondered. But nature will take care of itself and you will gain the perfect amount for you.

And in the meantime, I used to LOVE Puffs…any flavor but PB was my fave. Havent had em in years :)

Cherie May 25, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Always good to see you Heather. You look so pretty, pregnant mama. Too cute. Thanks for the “congrats”! I still can’t believe I got through that race. I hope we can meet up soon! (Weird berry, by the way.)

Katie May 25, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Cinnamon Puffins and I are on the outs. I once ate an entire box in 2 days. The roof of my mouth will be upset if I ever buy more.

Whenever I hear a la mode, it reminds me of the cute little girl in Little Miss Sunshine.

I can appreciate any post written in list format. I do that quite a bit myself.

Danielle (Runs on Green) May 25, 2010 at 9:50 pm

That is the craziest (straw)berry I’ve ever seen!

It must be hard to be in “weight maintenance” mode for so long and then be told you have to gain weight. But it’s sooo important for baby HEABs! I learned in my classes that if a woman doesn’t gain enough weight, then she’ll STILL pack on the lbs, only the baby will be smaller :(

BroccoliHut May 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I must admit that ever since going strawberry picking a few weeks ago, finding bizarre strawberries has become a favorite pastime of mine. Yeah, I’m weird.

Simply Maren May 25, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I love mediterranean food! Good choice, you have to try dolmas, if you havent yet.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 7:15 am

Simply Maren, Love the dolmas! :)

annecalista May 26, 2010 at 1:50 am

Glad to hear your weight loss has subsided, and I agree- throw out the scale! You will be fine at managing your weight during pregnancy, gaining just the right amount for a healthy baby.

Thanks fo the waffle-making method… my husband and I don’t own a toaster (small apt., don’t want to have too many appliances yet. No micro either.) so I haven’t bought frozen waffles for the past two years! I miss ‘em, so maybe I will give that oven method a try.

Luna May 26, 2010 at 3:31 am

hummus+pita chips=LOST … this show is mine and the hubby’s secret party/vacation from everyday life… we download it from the net (since we are in italy), prepare a lot of yummy food and watch it on friday nights…since he has been abroad for couple of months, we still have a lot of episodes to enjoy and won’t feel sad/depressed it’s over for awhile ;)

You look so beautiful, don’t worry too much about the weight gain…there will almost surely be some, but it will also go away (and if you are going to breastfeed the baby, you’d probably loose it very quickly!A friend of mine actually got skinner while pregnant / breastfeeding…)

Susan May 26, 2010 at 6:54 am

1) I haven’t watched Lost either. With each passing minute is more opportunity for it to be ruined for me
2) That strawberry blows my mind
3) You are going to be just as if not more gorgeous once your tummy starts to show :)

Ozlem May 26, 2010 at 8:06 am

Which Olympic tri did Cherie complete?? Congrats!! I gotta go and get me some goat milk yogurt and the said cinnamon apples from TJ ASAP. Your concoction looks and sounds delicious. Have I mentioned I love apple pie?? Take care and glad to hear you are doing well.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 8:56 am

Ozlen, Cherie did the Memphis In May Triathlon , and I hope you enjoy some apple pie a la mode soon. :)

meagan May 26, 2010 at 8:34 am

Throw out your scale. As someone with prior weight issues, it was/has been nothing but a plague to me. For me, the weight gain side is mentally and emotionally the hardest thing about pregnancy. I really regret that I spent the first 6 months so worried/bent out of shape about it. Now I just try to walk everyday, do prenatal yoga at home and eat well…but it’s definitely been a challenge to accept weight gain when I’ve been trying to do everything to stave it off for the past few years.

Anyway…my .02 cents :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 8:54 am

Thanks Meagan. Scale is going away. :)

charlotte May 26, 2010 at 11:49 am

Having done pregnancies with and without the scale, I will tell you in all sincerity to ditch the scale. It will just make you crazy while you are pregnant. (I also had the doctor weigh me backwards ). Your body knows what it’s doing! You just have to trust yourself (and I know how scary that can be but you can do it!).

ered May 26, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Down with the scale (or up, in my case–I asked my husband to put it up tall and he did–and he put the step ladder up there too)!!! I had a rule which I heard some-random-where and sounded good to me–basically if my weight gain was roughly equal to the number of weeks pregnant I was I didn’t feel bad and considered myself fine. (compared to what I don’t know…) There towards the end I gained a lot (I never was *52 weeks pregnant ;) ), but it was mostly water and mostly in my lower legs. I swear i lost thirty pounds just delivering the baby and only 8 of those pounds were from him. I’m just saying. Also, watch the mail! 2 more items and my list is complete!