The Waffle Blizzard

by HEAB on May 26, 2010

Confession: I have been craving Dairy Queen Blizzards.

blizzard.jpg

The last blizzard I ate was back in April 2005. I distinctly remember running the Country Music Half Marathon and then celebrating by getting my nose pierced and enjoying an Oreo Cheesecake Blizzard since the piercing studio was located directly above a DQ. It tasted so good, but I haven’t had one since. Fast forward to 2010…I WANT A BLIZZARD. So this morning, I decided to make my own, and in honor of Waffle Wednesday, I knew just what my mix-in candy of choice would be. ;)

First up, I whipped up a batch of vanilla protein ice-cream. Oh, protein ice-cream, I’d forgotten how good you are! Instead of the stevia packet, I added a drizzle of maple syrup, and after it was done blending, I stirred in 1 crumbled toasted Van’s apple cinnamon waffle.

I present to you my waffle blizzard served in a waning apple butter jar…

This was pretty darn tasty, and I loved the crunchy waffle chunks. However, the apple butter at the bottom of the jar was a bit too sweet for me. From now, I think I’ll stick to nut butter jars…that is if I ever eat nut butter again. Still don’t have a taste for it. :(

Several Announcements before I go:

1) Don’t forget to bid on a double batch of Maple Nut Oaties  over at Angela’s Shop 4 A Cause 2 Charity Auction. 100% of the proceeds will benefit cancer research. Come on, you know you want some…

img_43752.jpg

2) Chia Seeds Direct is having a sale on their 12 lb. bags of black chia seeds and their 9 lb. bags of white chia seeds, and don’t forget, all U.S. orders are shipped priority mail at no extra charge.

3) No, my nose is no longer pierced. I took it out last year, but CD misses my little nose stud. Perhaps I’ll get it done again someday. It was the cutest little nose ring.

Question: What’s your favorite Blizzard mix-in?

amsterwill83 May 26, 2010 at 8:50 am

You are so creative with your food!! My favorite blizzard is definitely Oreo, with Reese’s coming in a close second :-)

Amanda (WannaBe Chef)

nikkionlunch May 26, 2010 at 8:53 am

Oh, you’re not helping with my “I want sweets” craving that has lasted for days because I have no sweets at my apartment right now!

My DQ blizzard of choice is an Oreo Blizzard with peanut butter mixed in.

I admit that I am a pb junkie!

Btw, your blizzard creation looks so delicious in that picture!

eatmovelove May 26, 2010 at 8:53 am

OREOS!!! But anything will do really ;)

L @ Whole Wheat Or Bust! May 26, 2010 at 8:54 am

Gah, arent blizzards the greatest thing? I definitely crave those periodically. But thinking back to when I demolished the whole large size is pretty narrsty. I still to healthified versions and small sizes of the legit from now on :)

L @ Whole Wheat Or Bust! May 26, 2010 at 8:54 am

*stick

Beth May 26, 2010 at 9:07 am

I’ve actually never been to a Dairy Queen before! But i loooove ice cream with stuff mixed in… oreo is my fav!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) May 26, 2010 at 9:51 am

Funny, I remember the last time I had a blizzard, too, in 1996!!
It was the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor. *sigh*
It was shortyly thereafter I realized I was lactose intolerant, in my long list of food intolerances.

If I could figure out a way to make a comparable one, I’d add in chunks of the black bean brownie from Happy Herbivore’s blog.
YUM!

Claire May 26, 2010 at 9:56 am

Oh,how I miss Oreo Blizzards!:-)cc

Kristina @goodnweird May 26, 2010 at 10:00 am

I <3 this! Totally in love with the idea, so much so I may have to steal it this evening after work. It's 90 degrees in Burlington and I have no clue how to handle the weather.

I can't remember my last blizzard but it was probably strawberry and banana! I always add fruit to ice cream. Makes me feel less guilty about the treat.

saltytooth May 26, 2010 at 10:22 am

LOVE the blizzard creation. My favorite as a kid was the nerd blizzard. I don’t even think DQ makes them anymore, such a shame!

I use to have my nose pierced and really miss it. I had tiny little stud, so you couldn’t really notice it. Maybe I’ll pierce it again someday.

Ana May 26, 2010 at 10:30 am

I never had a blizzard… I tried a bite of DQ ice cream my husband was having once and thought it was awful, kinda low quality soft serve, so I never had a desire to try their ice creams/blizzards/etc.
There is a place here called Goodberrys that have “frozen custard”, their ice cream is made on site and with all natural ingredients, which I like! They make something very similar to the blizzard called “concretes”, you choose either vanilla or chocolate ice cream and whatever you want to put inside. I like the vanilla with blackberries, but with oreos is also pretty good!
I prefer my ice cream smooth and creamy, so I always end up getting one scoop vanilla and one scoop chocolate, creamy and smooth, just how I like!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 10:32 am

Ana, Oh my gosh, how I love frozen custard! We always get concretes at Ted Drewes whenever we’re in St. Louis. Definitely puts a DQ Blizzard to shame!

Stefanie May 26, 2010 at 10:48 am

All this ice cream talk is making me want some. I always got the oreo blizzard when I was a kid. I did try the banana split, mint chip, and monster cookie blizzard. They were all good. Homemade is always better though.

Stacy May 26, 2010 at 10:51 am

Chocolate covered nuts!

jacob c May 26, 2010 at 11:03 am

Oreo blizzard!! *drools*

I’ll make them at home with cookies and cream ice cream, milk, and a couple ice cream sandwitches.

jenny (green food diaries) May 26, 2010 at 11:19 am

i’ve never eaten at DQ! my friend always got soft serve from there but i ever lived near one. i’m going out to buy a new protein powder today and now i think i might pick up the guar gum and xanthan gum as well…

Josie May 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

isn’t it funny how you can go so long without something, and STILL crave it?! i thought i had gone a long time without a blizzard (october ’09 hahahhahahaha). the pumpkin pie blizzard is pretty out of this world; but heath bar chunks and oreo are pretty fabulous mix ins.

Christin L. May 26, 2010 at 11:49 am

LMAO at the Nerd blizzard comment above… I LOVED those when I was a kid too!!!

And I just got my nose re-pierced Saturday night. I had it for years and it had fallen out and closed up over a year ago. It is by far my favorite piercing and I’m so happy to have it back!

Ana May 26, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Frozen custards are really awesome, I love it too!!
Heather, I was just reading the smoothie girl post about the gums and it says there to not eat xantham gum when pregnant. I know nothing about the gums and was curious to learn about them as every time I see your protein ice cream posted I get an itch to go buy them and try in my smoothies! Just read that and wanted to let you know, but I guess it is so very little of it you use that maybe it is safe.
I am seriously craving some thick and creamy concoction now!
Ana!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for the info. Ana – I wasn’t aware of that. Guess I’ll just have to eat coconut milk ice-cream instead. :)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 26, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I haven’t had a blizzard since hmmmm last summer. Ha we have one close to our house so I think this summer I’ll treat myself to one. Oreo is the way I go!

Quix May 26, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I haven’t had a shake in ages. I shared a Guiness milk shake, but it wasn’t quite what I was craving.

Honestly, I’ve had (of all thing) a jack in the box oreo cookie shake on a pedestal for a while now, in my mind it was the best shake EVAR. I really should get one and realize how crappy it is so I can stop craving it, heh.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 26, 2010 at 12:43 pm

The people at Dairy Queen knew me when I was pregnant with Jay, my oldest! I LOVED cookie dough blizzards! I would also get banana slit, but that was if I was feeling guilty! My belly button used to be pierced. I had to take it out at about 7 months pregnant. Oh well…I think I would rather go for another tattoo at this point! Your blizzards sounds delicious!

idreamoftahini May 26, 2010 at 12:56 pm

The Hawaiian Blizzard is really good, but my treat of choice when I used to go to DQ was a Peanut Buster Parfait with Chocolate ice cream (instead of vanilla). Man was that yummy.

My 18 year old is going through all the piercings, lol.

After getting 2 regular holes in each ear (she tried twice when she was younger and they closed up), next it was her belly-button and just recently it was her cartlige on her right ear. She is still talking about all the piercings she still wants to get…….she cracks me up, oh to be 18 again.

Mama Pea May 26, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Good for you! I was totally all about the root beer floats when I was expecting Gigi, to the point where we had to go buy the actual A&W mugs to keep in the freezer. If only I had used protein ice cream.

Bethany May 26, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Oh my that looks so good! Way to go and get creative to make your own! I love when I can recreate my own healthy version of fast food so I know that I’m eating good, quality products!

operagirlcooks May 26, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Ooh, that looks tasty! It’s so funny that you’re not into nut butter right now.

Amy @ Second City Randomness May 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I was never a big DQ fan, but their blizzards are pretty much amazing…

I was a big fan of oreo mix-ins back in the day, but I’d go for pb cups now… mmm

Sarah May 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Heather, what’s the verdict on pregnant women eating stevia? I’ve read mixed reviews and I’d love your take on things (as I’m currently trying to conceive).

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Sarah, My pregnancy is one of the reasons I’m so glad I gave up stevia for Lent, and after not eating it for 3 months, I really don’t ever use it in anything anymore. In fact, this morning was the first time I’ve used protein powder containing stevia in probably 4 or 5 months. From the research I’ve done, some believe stevia is perfectly safe, but others say there have been no long term studies done on pregnant women consuming stevia. So, I’m erring on the side of caution and not using it a lot. Personally, I think every so often is fine, but I hope to never rely on it as much as I did in the past. It also helps that I no longer drink coffee. I gave it up before I found out I was pregnant as well. It just wasn’t very appealing without all the liquid vanilla stevia drops I used to put in it. All this to say, that I would recommend avoiding both stevia and caffeine if you’re trying to conceive. I mean if you’re not sure if something is 100% safe, then why take the risk? That’s my theory. Hope this helps Sarah, and best of luck to you! :)

Olivia @ Blissful Runner May 26, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Um, wow. I think you just convinced me to make my first batch of protein ice-cream. With waffle chunks of course!

Evan Thomas May 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I don’t think I ever got a blizzard. I always went for a cone with a cherry dip. Oh my god was that good! Except knowing that it was all partially hydrogenated oil is not so much fun. Ignorance is bliss. Although I bet it’d be really easy to make a cherry “magic” shell with coconut oil since that stuff freezes so well.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Evan, yes, that would totally work. I’ve used coconut oil to make chocolate “Magic Shell” before, and it turned out perfect: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/04/12/cds-birthday-cake/

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 26, 2010 at 1:44 pm

extra fudge :d

Shelly May 26, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I really love M&M’s in my blizzard! Oreos are good too, though. :)

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 26, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I love Blizzards! There’s a Dairy Queen not too far from my parent’s house where I like to get one when I’m in Texas (like now)! What’s funny is that we have Dairy Queen’s all over where I actually live, but I’ve never actually got one! It’s a special occasion treat! I like ALL of the mix-ins and don’t think I can choose a favorite! I try to get a different one every time!

homecookedem May 26, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Love you Heather, but sorry that just does not look good to me. Hahahahaha!! But I really, really love you!!!!!!! :)

I was curious if you’d heard anything about avoiding pineapple while pregnant??

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 1:56 pm

No worries Em. The ice-cream + waffle combo was really good, but in all honestly, the apple butter at the end had me gagging. It sounded so good in theory but was way too sweet. Weird, b/c I love all apple butter, but it’s much better on toast. Never again on ice-cream! Hehe.

I’ve read that pineapple juice can bring on contractions, but honestly, I think it’s an old wives tale. So, if you find yourself pregnant and craving some fresh pineapple, I wouldn’t worry about eating it in moderation. :)

Jessica @ How Sweet May 26, 2010 at 1:45 pm

That is an awesome idea. I am always tempted by blizzards – we live right by a DQ!

jessica May 26, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Haha!! I did the same blizzard thing exactly one year prior at the same DQ…. I dont know what it is about a 1/2 or full, but everytime I crave a blizzard, or Zoe’s sheet cake after!!
This looks really good, btw!

VeggieGirl May 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm

LOVE your Blizzard version! I used to love the one with the Reese’s Pieces mixed in :)

Jenna May 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Yep, your breakfast looks pretty rockin’, I must say. I’ve been craving a blizzard like it’s my job lately. I think it is the warm weather! My favorite mix-in would have to be snickers!

Katie May 26, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I love that you remember the date of your last blizzard. I used to love them back when I could eat them. I always had such a hard time picking a flavor, but usually went with oreo, peanut butter cup, or cookie dough. Either way, I could never finish even the small ones – too sweet for me. I was more of a dilly bar fan, anyway. Wow. can’t remember the last time I said dilly bar.

Your waffle ice cream looks fantastic. Just when I was thinking, what should I eat for a snack…

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm

That waffle blizzard looks delish!!

I haven’t had too many Blizzards in my day, but I like M&Ms and Oreos. We owned an ice cream stand when I was little, so Dairy Queen wasn’t really in my life, LOL.

Jenn

Yasmin May 26, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Oh my goodness…I’m not pregnant but lately I’ve been having a monster craving for a blizzard too! Lucky for me the Dairy queen here is on the other side of town and I’ve been too lazy to make my way over there. Great compromise with your recipe though.

brandi May 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm

yum – great idea with the waffle!

My favorite blizzards:
chocolate covered strawberry
mint m&m
reese cup

Janna ~ Just Flourishing May 26, 2010 at 2:10 pm

FYI – ALL my mom ate when she was pregnant with me was Dairy Queen Blizzards!

I used to love the really chocolately blizzard from DQ. I feel like I haven’t had one in YEARS though!

Sarah May 26, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Heather, thank you so much for kind, thoughtful, and thorough reply. I really enjoyed and appreciated reading what you had to say. Your words helped a lot. You’re right- why risk it if I’m not sure it’s 100% safe?

The Fit Collegiate May 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm

What a creative way to recreate an unhealthy dessert! Blizzards are hands-down my guilty pleasure of choice. Whenever I’m feeling seriously gluttonous (which can happen fairly often), my mom and I drive over to the local DQ and I get a small Reese’s PB cup blizzard. So bad, yet so good. :-)

Lori May 26, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I don’t remember the last time I had a blizzard. I used to get some peanut butter crunch thing. I think peanut butter (probably not even real pb!) with cookie pieces.
I just got a VitaMix for Mother’s Day and am going to try your protein ice cream. Much better than a blizzard!!

Sarah R May 26, 2010 at 3:04 pm

omg. blizzards–so stinkin’ good, but I haven’t had one since around 2005 as well. I’m not sure what my favorite mix in would be. It’s a toss up between oreos, peanut butter cups, and m&ms. now I want ice cream…

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 26, 2010 at 3:13 pm

mm a waflle blizzard! at least u have an excuse for craving them hehe.. ive been recently craving them so bad. actually ive also been craving the mcdonalds oreo mint mcflurry lol. need to find a replacement before i break down haha <3

Danielle (Runs on Green) May 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I want to celebrate my marathon with a nose ring!! lol I’ve always wanted to get it done, but I’m afraid of what professionals would think :?

Your waffle blizzard is *genious* And I can’t believe they really make oat ice cream! That would be an appropriate breakfast hah :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Danielle, Yeah, since I work as a massage therapist, the nose ring was acceptable. However, it would not have gone over well back in my corporate suit wearing days.

Jenny May 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Reese’s for sure! MMM… love them!

Tyrah May 26, 2010 at 4:00 pm

your ‘blizzard’ is perfect! I’m going to try waffles too, great idea =)
My favorite pre-vegan mix in was any of the candies with PB (butterfinger, reese’s, PB cups) They (DQ) should offer PB pretzels like in Chubby Hubby! and while they’re at it serve some coconut milk ice cream too….

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Tryah, If I ever find a place that serves soft serve coconut milk ice-cream, I think I’d be in heaven.

Katherine: What About Summer? May 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm

aha that jar is like a volcano! fill it up girl!

Marissa May 26, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Butterfinger :-) M
Sadly I don’t think i can marissify butterfingers…

Tyler May 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm

COOKIE DOUGH!!! I have a blizzard about once a year…so bad for you, but so so delicious!

Natalie May 26, 2010 at 5:30 pm

haha – wow. IMpressive! I would have had to go get a 1000 calorie blizzard. Love your substitute!

eatmovelove May 26, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Question for inquiring mind: Why would the Stevia be any more “unsafe” during pregnancy than eating sugar really?? And many pregnant women eat sugar!! haha. …seriously though…Stevia is from a natural source right?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Eatmovelove, Stevia is an herb, and as far as I know, no long term studies have really been done to study its effects on pregnant women. That’s why I haven’t been using it. For the most part, I’ve just been sticking to real sugar or fruit when I want something sweet.

eugenie May 26, 2010 at 5:48 pm

you don’t know me, but i read your blog. anyway, after reading this post, you have got to try this product i just found today at whole foods. i tried the vanilla. it was incredible. you would not believe how low calorie it is. i think next time i buy it, i’ll mix in some of laura’s wholesome junk food (which you should try too if you haven’t). anyway…here is the incredible product. check out the nutritional stats. and no, i don’t work for the company. i was just so elated when i found this today and had no one with whom i could share this joy!!! http://www.myarcticzero.com/

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Eugenie, I saw this at my Whole Foods, but they only had the strawberry banana which did not sound appealing at all. However, I’m having lunch there tomorrow, and perhaps they’ve restocked. I’d love to try the chocolate. Oh wait, just looked at the ingredients, and it’s made with whey protein. Ugh, I’m allergic! Otherwise, I would so buy this…and proceed to eat the entire pint. 128 calories…how is that even possible?!? Gosh, I’d love a dairy free version!

Mae May 26, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Mini m&m’s!! Well, I’ve never actually been to diary queen but they were my favorite McFlurry mix-in.
I’ve never even heard of the waffle chunk idea- that’s so much fun! I didn’t know you had a nose ring either. I want something fun and rebellious like that… possibly a tatoo somewhere very inconspicuous? The bottom of my foot? hahaa

Have a great night!!

Mae May 26, 2010 at 6:37 pm

PS do you still like tahini?? :-o

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 26, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Mae, Oh my gosh, tahini is the worst. Ever since this post ( http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2010/03/25/a-heab-parfait/), I can’t stand to look at it and threw my jar away. I got so sick after eating that parfait…blech! P.S. I think you would look adorable with a little nose stud. :)

Gracie May 26, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Oh gosh, I’ve been craving a Blizzard lately too!! It seems like every blogger and her mother has been getting them lately, and it just makes my craving even worse! I think I may just have to bite the bullet this weekend and get one :) Hands down – COOKIE DOUGH!

bitesandbliss May 26, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I’ve actually never had a Blizzard but I use to get Sonic Blasts all the time. My all time favorite was M&M. Other mix ins were tried but I always went back to that.

Your homemade version looks so much better, though!!

Nicole May 26, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Oooohhh I haven’t had a Blizzard in at least 10 years! I love toffee and oreos in mine. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve said I need to get a VitaMix so I can make things like your protein ice cream….

rachael May 26, 2010 at 8:12 pm

before i went vegan, i loved cotton candy blizzards from dairy queen! and also, how long did it take for your hole in your nose to close up, do you still have a scar? im considering taking mine out!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 6:05 am

Rachael, Not sure how long it took the hole to close, but no I have no noticeable scar.

Carolyn May 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Goodberry’s is an OMG Heather.. My sister in NC lives waay too close to one, when we visit…

And we used to live in Milwaukee where this dangerous place is.. take a look at the custard flavor forecast page.. And yes, i was fatter in Milwaukee…And the burgers were as big as your head practically…

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 6:12 am

Carolyn, The would have to roll me out of Milwaukee. So glad frozen custard is mainly a mid-western thing and NOT a southern thing. I think we have one place that serves it south of town, but thank goodness it’s a 30 minute drive!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 26, 2010 at 8:30 pm

When I was a kid, I used to LOVE DQ Blizzards. It has safely been 20 yrs since Ive had one. My dairy intolerance then was substantial and I didnt care about the pain afterward. Now, omg I think I would rather go into labor than eat a Blizzard :) Your creation looks perfect! YUM!

To RACHAEL, Above me I HAD A NOSE RING too and the hole closed in about a week or a month, can’t remember but til this day, 10-15 yrs since it’s been out, it looks like a large pore. It’s closed, but it looks like a pore. I went thru a “wonder what this would look like if I pierced it” stage. That lasted 10 yrs :)

Kristy May 26, 2010 at 8:36 pm

3 things:

-bought the chia seeds on sale the other day, yay!
-from a person who took a nosering out about 12 years ago and then got it repierced in the same spot a year later, don’t do it!!! I thought it would be easier the second time because there was already a hole there, right? Nope. Scar tissue forms after it heals up, and the pain was so bad the second time I almost passed out. Go for the other nostril!
-I made a salad for dinner based on your common hummus-as-a-sauce theme, and I had to tell you about it…dry cabbage cole slaw mix, white vinegar, soy sauce, some crushed ramen noodles, sunflower seeds, and a big glob of hummus all mixed up – Mwah! Thanks for the inspiration!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 6:10 am

Kristy, Oh gosh, thanks for nose ring tip. I had no idea, and your salad sounds delicious. Really, that actually sounds quite tasty to me right now, and not many salads do…especially the mandarin oranges! I love Calypso’s Lucayan salad – something about those little sweet orange segments. So good…or perhaps it’s just the coconut cornbread muffins. ;)

Kristy May 26, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Oh, and I’ve had the nose ring ever since. Now I can leave it out for weeks at a time and it’s fine. :)

Kristy May 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Oh, crap, sorry for the multiple comments, but I left the mandarin oranges out of the salad mix. That was a main element!

Gina G May 26, 2010 at 9:15 pm

icecream is hands down my favorite dessert! dairy queen blizzards are prettyyy good, but im more about soft serve….especially custard! soooo good! =)

BroccoliHut May 26, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Blizzards! That brings back summertime memories for sure. I was always a simple gal and got M&Ms in mine, although I’ve had a strange craving for Butterfingers lately. I might have to take a cue from you and make my own healthy version!

Susan May 27, 2010 at 5:05 am

Gaaaaah! I love this! How do you feel about waffle cones? I’m not the biggest ice cream fan, but when Dairy Queen got their waffle bowls, I went in and asked for a chocolate dipped bowl. Just the bowl. It was amazing :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 6:06 am

Susan, I haven’t had in a waffle cone in years…but doesn’t mean I didn’t love ‘em back in the day. Loved that you went in and asked for just the bowl. :)

fitandfortysomething May 27, 2010 at 7:04 am

that looks amazing! gosh i think i like oreos and reeces…..been so long!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 27, 2010 at 7:06 am

Oh gosh, no nut butters? I’m sure it will come back someday ;-) But in the mean time, I freakin’ love the stuff you are coming up with. I love how you are craving something and you find a way to make it at home, which is cheaper, healthier and more your “style.”

I haven’t had a blizzard since April 2009 and it was awful, had melted too much and I just didn’t like it the way I remembered (and it made me really sick). Before that it had been like five years. Now I don’t do dairy, haha. Oh well!

runningaroundnormal May 27, 2010 at 7:21 am

I haven’t had a blizzard in ages either! mmm Oreo is my favorite:)

Kelly May 27, 2010 at 8:07 am

I am a cookies and cream girl…all the way. Oreos are my friend!

Julie May 27, 2010 at 8:07 am

Heath Bar Blizzards are THE BEST! Oh, how I love them.

Sara May 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

Two favorites from my days of working at DQ. 1) Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (ask them to do half peanut butter/half fudge). 2) Peanut Butter Banana. Both are fantastic and will get any DQ worker saying, “That sounds really good. I have to try that!”

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 10:22 am

Sara, OMG, how on earth did you work at a Dairy Queen? I would have just parked myself under the soft serve machine, opened my mouth and pulled down on the lever…and I’m not kidding. :)

Casey May 27, 2010 at 10:49 am

I am so glad that you said you are craving DQ blizzards. I am 19 wks pregnant with triplets and have been craving them like crazy. I have indulged quite a few times recently but it was so worth it. It had been years since I had one.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Casey, Triplets? Yeah, eat the blizzards and enjoy every last bite. Your body is working extra hard these days! Many congrats to you. :)

Graze With Me May 27, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I pierced my nose with a safety pin when I was 14. Kept it in for 4 years….I miss it now.

sarah May 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm

The maple nut oaties look great… did that recipe come from Averie?

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Sarah, Nope, it’s a HEAB original: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/maple-nut-oaties/. But Averie has made them before. :)

{ 1 trackback }