Fat Huggin

by HEAB on May 27, 2010

Over the last few months, I have not been eating my usual amount of dietary fat, and I’ve noticed a huge difference, namely in my skin. It’s so dry, and I’m going to do my best to add more fat back into my daily eats now that my appetite has returned. Some of my favorites like coconut, butter, and salmon just don’t appeal to me right now, but thankfully, I still love my avocados, or nature’s butter as one of my friends like to call them.

Have you Hugged A Fat lately?

This morning, after taking the pups for a 45-minute walk and showering, I had salad on the brain. OK, that’s a lie. I had tortilla chips, salsa, and guacamole on the brain, but I threw in some romaine and called it a salad. ;)

Yum, nothing like starting the morning off with some greens!

Several of you asked about my nose ring yesterday. I kept it in for about 4 years, and no, there is no scar. However, my little nose stud was tee-tiny. If you look closely at the photo below, you can barely see it.

2010-05-27_06.56.31.png

Chris and I hiking in Cinque Terre, Italy on our honeymoon, and yes, I know we look alike. Even I can see the resemblance in this photo. :)

Gotta go. My list of errands is long today, and this afternoon is going to involve some major house cleaning. Don’t forget to Hug A Fat!

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 27, 2010 at 9:24 am

Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!!!! Cutest post ever!!!
And wow, you really do look alike! You have the exact same eyes! It’s like you were destined to find each other (like you were made for each other–literally!).
You’re gorgeous, Heather, both inside and out. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 27, 2010 at 9:25 am

P.S. That is one lucky avocado :)

Jessica @ How Sweet May 27, 2010 at 9:36 am

You guys do kinda look alike…hahah. :) Very cute!

idreamoftahini May 27, 2010 at 9:45 am

Haha – I never noticed that you two looked alike, but you do :)

That salad looks amazing. Ahh avacodos are one of my favorites. I could eat them morning, noon and night.

Claire May 27, 2010 at 10:11 am

Well,you guys are going to have one cute kid:-)cc

Jenn (GH) May 27, 2010 at 10:11 am

I’ve been counting calories again and I’ve noticed I’m eating around 40% fat and 30% carbs and protein. Coconut oil….YUM!!!

I have a scar on my tongue (and a chip on my tooth) from piercing it in college. :-( I’ve always liked the nose piercings.

miaplus3 May 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

Love the avocado! Your picture is beautiful…looks like the preggers glow is on!
Did the nose piercing hurt? I recently got a tattoo and it was not pleasant.
What is the age limit on nose piercings?
Melissa R. (the “catchbabies” Melissa :) )

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Melissa, I was prepared for mucho pain, but I didn’t think the actual piercing hurt that much at all. It was sore and a bit swollen for a few days, but honestly, it was a lot less painful than getting the top of my ear pierced. No age limits either! :)

Carolyn May 27, 2010 at 10:44 am

that’s a freckle…

I added some TJ almond butter (fat) to my oatmeal for lunch in your honor.. :-)

VeggieGirl May 27, 2010 at 11:13 am

Love the hiking photo!

I hugged TJ’s raw almond butter today :)

Heather May 27, 2010 at 11:15 am

i just took my nose ring out and the hole’s already gone…i only had mine for a year though. you guys are so adorable…i can’t wait to see the blue-eyed smiling HEABlet when he/she comes!

janetha May 27, 2010 at 11:17 am

i cant believe you married your brother ;)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 27, 2010 at 11:18 am

I’m eating tuna with avocado and lime as we speak!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 27, 2010 at 11:24 am

I already hugged a fat today…OIAJ! YUM! Glad your appetite is back! Good luck on your errands!

homecookedem May 27, 2010 at 11:27 am

Haha! You do look alike!! :) So cool that you have a pretty good idea already what Heablet will look like!! :) He or she is destined to have beautiful eyes and great teeth!!

marshell y. Roper May 27, 2010 at 11:34 am

I just love my Avocados!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, I have hugged my fat today!!!! With a small portion of fat around the edge of a pork loin & Butternut squash!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Marshell, I love pork tenderloin, and I haven’t had any in so long. Thanks for the reminder. My favorite recipe (I just tried to google it for you, but can’t find it. Found it on the back of a package of sage) is for roasted pork tenderloin served with a cream sauce with sage and granny smith apples. It’s super easy and always a big hit!

robin May 27, 2010 at 11:35 am

We hiked Cinque Terra on our honeymoon too, it was simply stunning.
It’s my first time posting, I love your blog, and congratulations on your pregnancy! Hoping I will be following in your steps shortly…

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Thanks Robin and thanks for reading. Best of luck to you. I’m always just an email away if you ever need any encouragement. It will happen – just stay positive. ;)

Meg May 27, 2010 at 11:36 am

I looove avocado :D Especially in a taco salad! Best of luck incorporating those fats back in – glowing and supple skin, here you commmeee :)

Hayley May 27, 2010 at 11:38 am

I definitely kinda looked like my ex-boyfriend. No big deal. Another friend of mine was out with her boyfriend and someone asked if they were twins. Not just brother and sister, but twins. I got a good laugh out of that one.

Marcia May 27, 2010 at 11:42 am

I have been so lucky to have a boss with an avo tree… I have gotten SO MANY FREE AVOs this year. Helps to live in So. Cal. Love the stuff.

You are reminding me…late in my pregnancy (last trimester) my skin was SO DRY. Hands especially. It was awful.

Within 24 hours of giving birth (and that’s not an exaggeration), they were back to normal. So, take care of your skin now – it might get worse later.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 1:14 pm

K. Thanks for the tip Marcia, and please enjoy some of those fresh avocados for me. I’m so jealous!

eatmovelove May 27, 2010 at 11:47 am

Your baby is going to be gorgeous. Do you intend to find out the sex ahead of time? Any names? :)
I ate fat (like everyday) in the form of cheese, AB and a pint of ice cream last night

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Eatmovelove, We will find out the sex at the end of next month, and yes, we have a girl’s and a boy’s name picked out, but we’re keeping them a secret. :)

Ana May 27, 2010 at 11:55 am

Omg, I have been craving avocados lately, love them! Went out and bought a bag with 4 from TJ’s but they are not ripe yet… today I was really hoping one would be good but no luck, my salad was missing some fat love!
I should hug my avocados more often, maybe they will ripen faster that way!!

Ilana May 27, 2010 at 12:07 pm

How adorable are you (and CD)!!

Kati May 27, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I just started following your blog, but fell in love with your own version of the Blizzard. For two years I lived a half mile from a DQ and I literally had to fight the weekly urge to stop there for a blizzard. Knowing how awful they can be for you, I really appreciate your home-made recipe and can’t wait to try it!

Please check out my new blog if you have time. It’s http://katipet.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

allison May 27, 2010 at 12:10 pm

ahhhh those good fats are the best kinds of moisturizers out there! as is water :) glad you’re somewhat getting your appetite back!!

Anna May 27, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Lol…people always think my husband and I are brother and sister. Awesome.

I’m thinking about getting a nose stud– I LOVE the teeny tiny ones!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Anna, Do it! I miss mine.

Jenny May 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm

You guys both have the prettiest blue eyes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Thanks Jenny. :)

Abby May 27, 2010 at 12:48 pm

New to your blog, but just wanted to say hello to a fellow Italy honeymooner :) We spent a month backpacking there after we got married – what an awesome country!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Hi Abby. :) I know – Italy is such a magical place, and I haven’t been back since our honeymoon. Thinking about it makes me want to go – the travel bug is biting. Did you guys make it up to the Dolomites? That was our favorite, and I love Tuscany as well. Thanks for reading my blog!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 27, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I love avocadoes! I had some on a veggie burger last night. And I hugged some peanut butter this morning :)

I used to have an eyebrow ring and it didn’t leave a scar either. I almost forgot about that, haha!

Katie May 27, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Avocados are manna from heaven. I’d hug one right now if I had one. (*virtual hug*)

saltytooth May 27, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I just had a pear with almond butter in your honor. Although I’m not a huge fan of nut butters, they are starting to grow on me!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 27, 2010 at 1:01 pm

You and CD do look like you could be related! So it will be interesting to see whether people say the HEAB-let looks like you or him. :)

I had a nose ring for years myself and took it out in 2006. It left only the tiniest scar (probably visible only to me) but every once in a while I feel a phantom nose ring there – it’s weird! Some days I wish I had kept it, but right this moment I think I’d rather have the Blizzard. :D

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 27, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Yes! That was my first thought: You guys look alike. How cute :D

I love eating salad for breakfast. I eat lots of fats in my diet, they’re sooo tasty.

Jenn

Lola May 27, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Aww Heather you look lovely!! you make such a cute couple!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

last summer i lived off of blue corn tortilla chips, avocado, and salsa.. SO DELICIOUS!

such a tiny scar, thankfully its barely visible… ive known quite a few people that have nose ring scars that are GIANT! i always feel bad for them..:(

HAPPY THURSDAY!

malpaz May 27, 2010 at 3:20 pm

love me some fat….love the avocado as natures butter!!!! id like to think bone marrow is natures butter but the fruit works too!!

The Coconut Mama May 27, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I did a raw vegan cleanse thing a few months ago, and my skin got super dry! The skin on my knuckles started to crack and bleed. On day 7 I gave up and ate a ton of bacon, coconut oil, avocado, and fish. Within 2 days my skin was back to normal. I love fat!

I’ll hug myself, being I’m a fatty that loves fat =)

Have a great day Heabers!

~CM

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) May 27, 2010 at 4:22 pm

That salad looks tasty. I like the idea of adding some romaine to justify chips, salsa and avocado.

LesleyG May 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Tortilla chips and avocado could sustain me forever. And, okay fine, a little romaine.

You all do resemble each other, and (please don’t take this in a weird way) that baby is going to have some very pretty eyes!

Kelly May 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I used to have a teeny tiny nose ring too. I LOVED IT!! But it always got infected (on the inside) so while it looked awesome on the outside it hurt like hell inside. Did you have that? I would definitely do it again if someone could tell me what to do to keep that from happening!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Kelly, My nose ring never got infected, but it was really annoying whenever I got a cold. I that’s why I took it out – so that I could blow my nose without it twisting.

Annie D. from Annie's Simple Life May 27, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I had avo TWICE today! Once as a salad dressing and once as avocado for our tacos. MMMMMMMM avo. When I was on Weight Watchers, fats were BAD BAD BAD… but now that I think WW is BAD BAD BAD (hehehe) I can enjoy my fatty fat fats again :o )

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Annie, I couldn’t agree more.

Mama Pea May 27, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I imagine a nose ring hole is a lot easier to hide than a navel piercing. Yeah, you don’t want one of those when you are 40 weeks along. Perhaps Britney was not the best college-aged role model for me.

rachael May 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm

i love when i get a craving out of nowhere for an out of place meal then satisfy it! the salad looks delicious (: i am happy to hear you have no scar!

caronae May 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm

The picture of you “hugging” the cado is adorable. I had my dose of fats via salmon and many spoons of almond butter today, and hummus, and cheese, and peanuts. I like them :)

I love how you made your own blizzard. Super creative, as usual.

Katherine: What About Summer? May 27, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Have I ever not hugged fat? I’m the old grandma who you cannot escape. I hug fat at every snack, meal, and dream of sugar plumbs. go fat or go home

Becki May 27, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Adding lettuce can make anything healthy! Fried pickles? Just add lettuce! Deep-fried twinkie? Add lettuce and it’s now healthy! :)

Jenna May 27, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I hugged a fat tonight! I had some wonderful, butter avocado. Num!

Kittie May 27, 2010 at 7:29 pm

You hugged your fat! We are both avocado people. :) My nose ring was my most painful body mod thus far, including tattoos and I have five tattoos. I think my pain was abnormal, everyone else I ask say it wasn’t that bad. hmmm.

Food-Fitness-FreshAir May 27, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Wow you guys do look alike! I used to have a dry skin problem, and then I started adding more olive oil and avocado back into my diet and it has helped so much. Love your blog as always and need to stop by again more often!

runnerforever May 27, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Aw, I sure do see the resemblance!
I love my healthy fats. If I miss out on them then my skin gets all dry like a lizard!

Shannon May 27, 2010 at 8:35 pm

mmm, avocado :) and lovely pic from CT, I’ll be there in a little over a week and i can’t wait!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 27, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Shannon, You will have a blast in Italy! I’m so jealous – I need to go back soon. :)

inmytummy May 27, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I had a tiny nose stud for about 4 years. I took it out because the curved part in the inside was always twisted and you could see it inside my nose. (This only makes sense if you’ve had your nose pierced, I’m sure.) I miss it too.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 28, 2010 at 6:38 am

inmytummy, Yeah, I had the piercing studio really tighten my stud after the swelling went down, and the curved part stayed in place. However, for a few weeks it would often make its way into the open. Not pretty.

Melissa S. May 27, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I’ve been embracing fats in my beans and avocados! of course nut butters too… nom nom nom!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 27, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Your nose ring….can’t even see it! It was super small, you are right!

Have a great night, Heather, and I love the purple chips and salad…b/c you added romaine. Romaine fixes everything!
xo

Anna Young May 28, 2010 at 1:48 am

Hey Heather. You would LOVE the avacados here in Hawaii. They grown all over the place – my first apartment had two trees! And they are so fresh. They are better than any I’ve ever had on the mainland.

By the way, I went to Cinque Terre a few years ago. We stayed on the mountain in one of the villages and missed the last shuttle going up to our cottage. We tried to hitchike up the hill, but nobody would pick us up. So we had to trek up the stairs, in the dark, after hiking all day, with no water. It was insane. There were over 1,000 stairs and we never thought we could get to the top! Somehow we managed and survived to tell the story…

Congrats on your pregnancy! Aloha!

Anna

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 28, 2010 at 6:40 am

Thanks Anna – always good to hear from you! Yeah, all the stairs in Cinque Terre were unreal. Glad you survived and please enjoy some fresh picked avocados for me!

Susan May 28, 2010 at 6:23 am

My mom says people are naturally attracted to people who resemble them – AND they make cuter babies :)

gavrielski May 28, 2010 at 8:01 am

Your nose ring is so cute! Why did you take it out? (You look gorgeous with or without!!) My boyfriend and I went to Cinque Terre three years ago and it was absolutely incredible. I’m sure it was an incredible honeymoon destination! And yes, I’m workin’ on huggin’ those fats (mostly avocado)! Enjoy your day. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 28, 2010 at 8:15 am

Gavrielski, I was sick and had to keep blowing my nose when I decided to take out my nose ring – it was getting in the way, but I do miss it!

Erika May 28, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Hi Heather. I know I’m probably a little late in the game, but congrats on the little baby HEAB on the way. You look beautiful! And that’s so cool that you and CD went to Cinque Terra for part of your honeymoon. My husband and I happened upon that magical place on accident (supposed to go to Rome, but got on the wrong train) about 4 years ago and we haven’t stopped talking about it since. Did you do the hike to all five towns? So fun! Anyway, take care and hope you start feeling better soon :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 28, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Erika. I think it’s great you *accidentally* visited Cinque Terre. Such an amazing place. One day, we did the hike and then turned around and did it backwards. 14 miles in one day. Needless to say the pesto pizza I ate that night was the best pizza I’ve ever tasted! :)

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries May 28, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I went ot the Cinque Terre two summers ago! GORGEOUS!

Clarice May 29, 2010 at 8:24 am

The Cinque Terre must have been a great place to honeymoon. It’s one of my favorite places on earth.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 29, 2010 at 8:33 am

Clarice, Agreed. :)

GirlonRaw May 29, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I love Cinque Terra! I was there too last year and boy it is beautiful. And btw you can hardly see your nose ring!! You guys are gonna have one helluva cutie baby :)

Katie May 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Love avocados! (or as my 14-month-old nephew calls them “avo-cad-nos” :) )

And LOVE Cinque Terra!! We just hiked it last summer and it was my favorite place in all of Italy. (Although that was one hot hike in August at 7 mos pregnant! And soooo steep at times…) We took a trip to Italy as our last trip as a couple for awhile before our baby was born. It was so fun to be pregnant in Europe, and realize how beautiful it is that respect for pregnant women seems to be worldwide, with no language barriers or cultural barriers. I’ll never forget how many Italian men gave up their seats for me on the trains and busses we rode while there. So sweet!

Bekah May 29, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Hugged an avocado today! And ate it too. And virtual hugs to you my dear on your endless errand run. (which hopefully ended two days ago, but like always I’m a little late. ) xo!

{ 3 trackbacks }