If At First You Don't Succeed: The Waffle Edition

by HEAB on May 30, 2010

After reading about my love affair with toaster waffles, the very kind and thoughtful Carbzilla sent me a waffle iron of my very own. Turns out she had an extra – thanks to you Tiffany, I am now obsessed with homemade waffles. Oh my gosh, who knew they were so easy?!?

My first attempt at trying out my new appliance did not go so well. In my excitement to pour the batter on the iron, I forgot to coat it with oil…

Oops.

So, I poured a little olive oil on the caked-on batter, let it sit for a while, and then cleaned all the waffle crusties away with a chopstick.

Katie, am I too late for The Chopstick Challenge? ;)

I then stuck my batter in the fridge and decided to try again at lunch. Attempt #2: After coating the iron with a bit of coconut oil and turning the heat up to level 4, my waffles came out PERFECT!

Waffles of Love with goat milk yogurt, pineapple chunks, blueberries, and a drizzle of maple syrup.

This morning, I woke up in a funk. Last night, I got really sick and couldn’t go to sleep. I then woke up at 1:30 AM still feeling horrible, went back to sleep and woke up again at 6:15. The sun was so bright that I had no choice but to get out of bed (I need an eye mask!). I then proceeded to snap at my husband until he finally got up from the kitchen table to give me a BH…that’s Big Hug in HEABspeak, and this is why I love my CD so much. After my hug, Chris left to go running, and I decided some chocolate would make me feel 100% better. :)

So, into my mixing bowl went 2 egg whites. which I beat with a hand mixer until stiff white peaks formed.

Can you see the baby owl?

Next, I whisked in 1 whole egg, 2 TBSP Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour, 2 TBSP unsweetened almond milk, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp baking powder (recipe based on Allie’s low-carb gluten free pancakes). I then stirred in 2 TBSP of dark chocolate chunks and heated up the waffle iron.

The Batter (pre-chocolate chips)

Chocolate Chip waffles. Sorry Mr. Eggo, but I think we’re done. :)

Check out the stats for this recipe. Not bad at all for 2 large waffles!

Picture 2.png

Please tell me your homemade waffle recipe of choice as I can’t wait to experiment more with my new favorite appliance. Shhh, don’t tell the Vita-Mix. ;)

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 30, 2010 at 8:49 am

LOL oh my goodness! I award you “Funniest (and most practical) use of chopsticks. And I award Tiffany “Sweetest Blogger” even though I gave her that award long ago when she sent ME a kind care package. She really is amazing… as are your waffles. I am jealous. I just bought a box of frozen waffles, and now they’re looking super-boring!
Happy Waffle Sunday, Heather :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 30, 2010 at 8:51 am

P.S. Don’t buy an eye mask. I’m going to send you one. Be on the lookout for Leroy the mailman ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 8:56 am

Katie, love you…and Leroy. I swear he must think something strange is up with all these packages I receive. Hehe. ;)

Little Bookworm May 30, 2010 at 8:59 am

Those Chocolate Chip waffles look amazing! :) Interesting use of chopsticks as well!

Errign May 30, 2010 at 9:01 am

I am the hugest fan of homemade waffles, but for some reason, I can only think of two mixes I love right now!

1. Bob’s Red Mill Buttermilk mix – tastes like my favorite homemade recipe
2. TJ’s pumpkin pancake mix (can be made into waffles as well!)

bitesandbliss May 30, 2010 at 9:10 am

haha whoops at the first attempt! Your next ones look awesomem though! Mmm chocolate chip waffles..they’d be perfect served a la mode with some protein ice cream!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 9:11 am

Bitesandbliss, Agreed! :)

L @ Whole Wheat Or Bust! May 30, 2010 at 9:11 am

Good morning. My favorite is whole wheat pumpkin pecan :) the ingredients are self explanatory :) try it!

Ilana May 30, 2010 at 9:12 am

Haha the first time I made waffles I messed it up so bad I was afraid to try again for a while but now it’s a fave. Like I’ve said before, I love to make a huge batch of choc chip waffles every now and then so I can have them in the freezer for when the craving strikes. I like retoasted homemade better than fresh, somehow! One of my tricks is replacing the egg/oil with yogurt – coconut milk yogurt <3 – which I also like to do with pancakes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 9:15 am

Ilana, Yes, I’ve had chocolate chip waffles on the brain ever since your comment. I’ll have to try veganizing these with the yogurt and then retoasting them as they definitely were not as *crisp* as I would like. Still yummy though. Thanks for all the tips. :)

Lisa May 30, 2010 at 9:39 am

Hi Heather,
I always wonder what it is about waffles that is just so fabulous! Yours look great—can’t wait to try with the coconut flour!

Thanks,
Lisa

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 30, 2010 at 9:45 am

You are so ambitious with the homemade waffle batter and iron. Tiff is a doll. She sent me coconut flour once. That girl has more things she doesnt need that I personally loved being the recipient of..as I sure so do you :)

Being preg is a time for men to not ask questions,and just do as they are told! LOL Glad CD is on board :)

Sleeping. Hate to say this is nature’s way of breaking you in to disjointed and sporadic sleep. I used to need 8-9 hrs a night. So do most people. Most mom’s of small children feel blessed to get 6-7. And definitely not all strung together.

Just think of the sleep thing as preparation for HeabLet. Nature is helping you right now even though you want to kill mother nature.

xxoo

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries May 30, 2010 at 10:05 am

What beautiful heart waffles! Mine always stick to the waffle maker too which is why I’ve been scared away from making them and now just buy the Nature’s Path frozen kind! Yours look way better though. And I love the little owl in the egg whites :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Megan, if your waffles are still sticking even after coating your waffle iron, try turning up the heat. A friend told me that undercooked waffles will always stick, and she never even coats her iron.

operagirlcooks May 30, 2010 at 10:05 am

Those look great, HEAB! I just cooked up a batch of apple cinnamon whole wheat waffles yesterday morning. I just used my pancake recipe, then added a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 C. milk, and two small chopped fuji apples. They were delicious!

Ana May 30, 2010 at 10:09 am

I will keep an eye here for your homemade waffle recipes Heather. Haven’t had much luck with my waffles, the only ones that worked great so far on my waffle iron were the ones made with “TJ’s multigrain waffle and pancake mix”.
My waffle iron makes three baby waffles and I believe it is more of a belgium waffle maker than a regular one because my baby waffles are always very thick, so seems like regular recipes don’t always work for me, I get good taste/flavor, but not good texture, they are not crispy on the outside how I would like them to be.
Tj’s mix though works great and the variation we love the most is a savory one with cheese and sometimes their chicken sausage mixed in, it may sound weird but savory cheesy waffles are yummy too!
Love your chocolate chip waffles, look delicious, and I am with someone that posted on top that they would be delish with some ice cream on top! yum!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Ana, I don’t think your savory cheese and sausage waffles sound weird at all. Sound delicious to me!

Marina May 30, 2010 at 10:15 am

I had the same experience with my waffles yesterday, well, the first part. I’m still cleaning the waffle maker :D
I’ll try your recipe next time, I’m so bad at making them…

Bethany May 30, 2010 at 10:18 am

Wow, the nutritional stats on the waffles are amazing! I’m going to have to try out that recipe. Homemade waffles are definitely the best and blow frozen waffles out of the water!

Laura May 30, 2010 at 10:21 am

Ohhh I have a favorite waffle recipe, and I haven’t made it forever. Today would be a good day for a nice brunch, I think. Anyway…

Put two cups of rolled oats and 1/2 cup cashews in the food processor and grind then together into a mealy flour. Don’t let it get to the buttery stage! Add a pinch of salt, a tablespoon of whatever oil you want (I like coconut, olive, or walnut, but I think coconut is my favorite), and a cup of water, and blend it into a batter. Pour the batter into the waffle iron, and cook it until it’s done.

I love this recipe, because the oats make it so filling. You can use use a multi-grain rolled cereal instead of the oats, and you can also add a splash of vanilla or almond extract to the batter.

And now I’m off to make oaty waffles and plum compote. Thanks for the inspiration!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Laura, Everyday is a good day for a nice brunch, and thanks for the waffle recipe. I love the sound of it!

ashley May 30, 2010 at 10:26 am

WHY oh why did I goodwill my waffle maker when we were moving from NC to CO??? It was randomly lying around boxless, the day before we moved…a truck came to get some of our stuff and I threw that in. I’ve thought about that poor decision many a’ times, lol. And now you’re rubbing it in ;) hehehe I was sad to hear you’re not coming to CO this summer but maybe we can meet next summer when you have the kid in tow!!! Adorable baby bump photo as well!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Ashley, Yes! Next summer for sure…with HEABlet in tow. :)

Run Sarah May 30, 2010 at 10:40 am

That is my go-to pancake recipe – I can’t wait to try it in waffle form! I often have the sticking problem too – must use more EVOO spray next time, I think!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Run Sarah, Try turning your heat up. My friend told me that undercooked waffles always stick, and she makes sure to keep the heat on at least 4. She never even has to coat her waffle iron with anything.

Danielle (Runs on Green) May 30, 2010 at 10:40 am

I’m sorry you didn’t sleep well :( Don’t BHs solve everything?? (almost)

That’s such a cute waffle maker! I’ve been searching for one that makes smaller waffles rather than big belgian ones. And the fact that it’s heart-shaped makes it perfect :D

…and after searching for the baby owl for a good minute…I found it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Danielle, Here is a waffle iron similar to the Tiffany sent me. Not the exact same brand, but it looks like it does the thinner heart-shaped waffles: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A3PBWO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p79_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VQNXTZMQPK20TCDS65K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846, and yes BH’s can usually solve just about anything. :)

Sarah May 30, 2010 at 10:44 am

We love homemade waffles… and have recently discovered making the batter in our Vitamix! Super easy… we just use the whole wheat recipe in the Vitamix cookbook. Now you can combine your two fave appliances! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Sarah. I always forget about my Vita-Mix cookbook. :)

Annie D. from Annie's Simple Life May 30, 2010 at 11:04 am

I LOVE the hearts!!! So cute!

Anna May 30, 2010 at 11:14 am

I haven’t had homemade waffles from an iron since I was a little kid! My parents had one…and actually, they probably still have it somewhere. I should get them to dig it out from its hiding spot and send it to me, because your waffles look like da bomb. :-)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 30, 2010 at 11:14 am

Your waffles look delicious. I have to try the coconut flour waffles out. I have yet to do that. I do a corn waffle that we all love here. That has been my go to gluten free waffle!

There must have been something in the air with the kids keeping there parents up last night. I got woken up at 4:45am to blood everywhere. My oldest got a bloody nose in the middle of the night and I had to clean everything from his room to the bathroom. Fun stuff. I was finally getting some sleep for the first time in about a week too. He was apologizing the whole time. It made me sad that he thought he was putting me out. Ya gotta love your kids…no matter how old they get, they are still our babies.

I hope you are feeling better and that you continue to enjoy your day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Same to you Sarena, and I hope there are not a lot of nose bleeds in your future. Get some rest and enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Sarena, PS – I can’t find your corn flour waffles – is the recipe on your blog? Thx!

Justine May 30, 2010 at 11:16 am

Heather, I am pretty sure that your cravings are contagious. I always crave whatever you have posted about-chocolate chunk waffles with blueberries and maple syrup? YES, please!

Katherine: What About Summer? May 30, 2010 at 11:22 am

oh dear!

eatmovelove May 30, 2010 at 11:46 am

I’ve never had home-made waffles. But once again your pictures never cease to amaze me.

For some reason, I picture a beautiful country-type setting with your house with trees and trails and hills to view from a big country kitchen window…peaceful. Oh and checkered napkins…

Hah!! I’m probably way off no doubt ! But I like to “pretend” :)

Stefanie May 30, 2010 at 11:58 am

Those look good. It might be time to dust off the waffle iron. You have become a waffle monster. :)

idreamoftahini May 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm

The first attempt is what mine would look like. It almost always takes me more than one attempt, lol! They look fabulous. I’m still telling myself I need to dig them out. Maybe after my daughters graduation, or better yet. Maybe I should drag them out and make some when my parents desend upon my house.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Idreamoftahini, Try turning the heat on your waffle iron up – my friend told me that she undercooked waffles will always stick. She makes sure to set the heat on at least 4 and never even coats her waffle iron with anything.

Pure2Raw Twins May 30, 2010 at 1:46 pm

We have made things before that we forgot to spray with oil, it happens to us all! Though glad you did it again! The waffles look great :) Glad CD got up for you to give you a hug! We are sending one to you through the computer :) Hope you get some good sleep soon girl!!!

Carolyn May 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm

no Vita Mix??…no nut butters??? …the Heablet is already stirring things up around there…

Kelly May 30, 2010 at 2:37 pm

YUM! MY waffle iron is one of my favorite kitchen appliances! Once you go “waffle iron” you never go back! haha!

bananasforbananas May 30, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Oh man you need to stop with all the waffle talk your making me hungry!!! These look awfully good though….you may have twisted my arm. I think I need to break out the old waffle maker from hibernation!

Allie (Protein Girl) May 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm

They look delicious! Love the heart waffle iron. I (heart) waffles.

Katie May 30, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Heart shaped anything is awesome. I used to get heart shaped pizza for Valentine’s Day with my college roommates.

Katie May 30, 2010 at 3:31 pm

First, I am also in love with my waffle maker. I’ve had it for years, and it’s old and dirty, but still makes awesome waffles.

Secondly, I just laughed so hard at the BH – big hug – thing because my husband and I use those initials for “butt hole” – as in “Ugh, stop being a BH!”…hilariously different. :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Katie, too funny. I’ll think of that next time CD requests a BH and laugh. :)

BroccoliHut May 30, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Very spiffy waffle maker!! I’ve been known to do forget the cooking spray too–that’s when my trust George Foreman spatula comes in handy:)

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 30, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I always do that with the oil. It makes me so mad having to scrape things off, I tend to over do it with the oil now. Oh well at least nothing sticks! :-) I would love a waffle iron. There’s nothing better than having “fresh” food chillin’ in the freezing!!

Laurie May 30, 2010 at 6:27 pm

They look so yummy! Thanks Heather for posting the Nutritional Facts, as I am a big time calorie watcher. Now I think I NEED a waffle iron : ) Enjoy your Memorial Day!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 30, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Those waffles look delish! I have a brand new waffle iron waiting to be used. I haven’t had homemade waffles in yearssssssssssssss. YUM

Jenn

Brynne May 30, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Those heart shaped waffles are so cute! And delicious-sounding :0)

Carbzilla May 30, 2010 at 7:25 pm

See? I KNEW you’d put it to good use.

Sorry you’re not feeling good, but at least you’re growing a human which is an amazing thing!

Thank goodness for you guys! What else would I do with all my extras? ;)

OMG – I can’t wait to get my hands on the TJ’s Pumpkin pancake/waffle mix!

Mae May 30, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Heather, those waffles look amazing! Chocolate chip are the best.
http://ohhmay.com/2010/01/27/wacky-waffle-tuesday/ I made turmeric banana chocolate chip waffles… I love the combo of turmeric+chocolate!
I’ve been wanting to make falafel waffles for a long time… it’s on the to do list.

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Mae, always so inspiring. I love it! :)

lisa May 30, 2010 at 7:48 pm

how CUTE!! heart shaped waffles! i’m so jealous- i want one!! i do love waffles, never much of a pancake girl, but waffles are yummy. i like the cinnamon varieties of waffles, usually, and of course, those sweet potato waffles I told you about once before. yum-my!!

Kathy Swigart May 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I know this is outside your dietary guidelines but I love the lightness of this recipe and I am sure you can change up the “flour” to suit.

1 recipe Blueberry Sauce (see subrecipe)
1 cup all-purpose flour (or ½ cup soy flour, ¼ cup flax seed, ¼ cup white flour)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup toasted coarsely ground walnuts
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 egg whites
2-1/4 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1. Prepare Blueberry Sauce. Set aside.
2. For waffles, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, walnuts, baking powder, and baking soda. In a large bowl beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until very foamy. Stir in buttermilk and oil. Gradually add flour mixture, beating by hand until smooth.
3. Pour 1 cup of the batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle iron. Close lid quickly; do not open lid until waffle is done. Bake according to manufacturer’s directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve waffles with Blueberry Sauce. Makes 8 servings (16 waffles).
Blueberry Sauce: In a saucepan combine 1 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup white grape juice, and 1 tablespoon honey (or Agave Nectar). Heat just until bubbles form around edges. Let cool for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a blender container. Cover and blend until smooth. Transfer sauce to a serving bowl. Stir in 1 cup blueberries. Makes 1-2/3 cups sauce.

BUTTERMILK SUBSTITUTE:

2 CUPS MILK
¼ CUP HALF & HALF
JUICE OF ONE LEMON

STIR WHEN READY TO USE

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 30, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Kathy, I think I could make this work – sound delicious and thanks for sharing. :)

Hayley @ Breath of Fire May 30, 2010 at 8:40 pm

They turned out so pretty! I don’t have a waffle iron so I stick to pancakes or toaster waffles for now! or fluffy Belgian waffles from brunch places- aaalways delicious!

Alisa May 30, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Love it, love it! Wow, that is one trick waffle maker – mine is plug in to turn it on, unplug to turn it off, no buttons or dials :) I think I need an upgrade! I bought one of those “mistos” just to spray my waffle iron, but you can’t do coconut oil in it unfortunately – but olive oil works well.

Melissa S. May 30, 2010 at 9:49 pm

bhahaha..i have done that more times than i can count…on all toes and fingers. hehe.

Josie May 30, 2010 at 9:57 pm

that baby owl is precious/hilarious! i bet as a chil you were good at spotting clouds that looked like stuff.

Maggie May 31, 2010 at 5:31 am

This is my recipe: http://www.maggiewalks.com/2008/07/24/fluffy-waffles/

I LOVE waffles.

Jessica @ How Sweet May 31, 2010 at 6:14 am

I love that heart shaped waffle maker! SO adorable.

Susan May 31, 2010 at 6:35 am

Such a pretty waffle maker!!! This is my favourite waffle recipe, using oatmeal and cottage cheese: http://thegreatbalancingact.com/eats/protein-pancakes/

But, I know you’re off the dairy as well. This is my new CC free one :) http://thegreatbalancingact.com/eats/dairy-free-ish-protein-pancakes/

Unfortunately, my waffle maker is now in Ottawa with my sister. Wain!

Sagan May 31, 2010 at 6:45 am

Waffles are great. They’re so worth the time and effort to beat the egg whites into peaks, too!

I would put blueberries in mine, methinks.

Mama Pea May 31, 2010 at 10:24 am

That sweet Tiff! It makes me so happy to see you waffling! I’ve had more than a few batches that ended up like your first one :( Enjoy your day, HEW!

runnerforever May 31, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Haha, sounds like many of my waffle making attempts. The chocolate chip waffles look great and those are some fantastic stats!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 31, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Tiff is da bomb.

At first I laughed when I saw your bisected waffle- then I cried when I saw the cleanup. The end result looked stellar though! :-)

I must put my old waffle maker to some use one of these days. I like the idea of Mae’s falafal waffle!

j June 1, 2010 at 10:49 am

Anyway I could make these waffles work without the coconut flour? I have so many flours I need to use up before buying another variety…

Heather Eats Almond Butter June 1, 2010 at 11:13 am

J, Yep, just try another flour. It should work, but you might have to use about 1/4 cup instead of the 2 TBSP.

Marissa June 1, 2010 at 11:54 am

mmmmmmmm those look SO good!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 2, 2010 at 6:39 am

Seeing all your posts about waffles made me crave some and I’ve got ‘em at home in the freezer waiting for me, haha. But my favorite homemade recipes are in Vegan Planet — technically they are pancake recipes but it’s all the same as far as batter goes. Pumpkin Pie and Banana Spice are my favorites :)

Natalie June 2, 2010 at 11:16 am

You’re going to save so much money w/ the waffle maker! I love the hot chocolate mix addition to the ice cream :)

cosmetic surgeon north dakota February 23, 2011 at 11:39 pm

That’s the spirit. Had the same disaster at first. But it’s worth it once you get it perfect.

{ 6 trackbacks }